First upgrade your tool, next get crafting gear, any gear with +Craftsmanship, +Mag. Craftsmanship, and Control. Make sure and look up the rank level of the synth, never attempt any synth that is 2 ranks or higher than your current rank.
Now I have worked out a system that's lead me to a 1/3 HQ rate.
Simple rules to remember:
1. Durability will always determine which synth you choose i.e. Standard, Rapid, or Bold. This is priority one in any synth you do, pay attention to it ALWAYS. You hit 0 you WILL fail, nuff said?
2. Color of the Orb, White = most stable success is at its best with this. Flashing generally hitting standard during this will stabilize the synth with a color, you can use Bold and Rapid but both these have a bigger risk for failing than standard. Yellow seems to have a 50/50 success rate in any choice you choose, depending on what your durability is at, make your choice. Red, unless your durability is too low opt for Bold, it yields the most quality upon success.(however this is only if your pushing for HQ)
3. I go with a system based on the rank of the synth vs my current rank at the time of the synth:
-1 rank in level to 2 ranks above synth, success for these ranks is priority. DO NOT ATTEMPT to HQ! You will fail. I roll with a standard,standard, standard, rapid, repeat. Sometimes fails on these will happen, that's a given, but standard synthing will keep the synth at it's most stable, so the most logical choice is to fixate on standard, as it will eat the least amount of your durability when it fails, success of standard will still eat durability roughly 5 and will eat 10 when you fail.
3 to 4 ranks above the synth, depending on your durability, you can toss in a bold here and there, the idea behind is to raise the quality of your synth, to prepare you for HQing, standard will eat less than 10 durability when it fails and yields 20% in success as well as eating only 1-5 of your durability. Bold can still eat alot of your durability when it fails here, be sure and Bold on a white orb, nothing else.
5+ ranks, it's at this point when you can safely push for HQing, you want to achieve 100 quality, with the maximum amount of durability left for touch up. HQing is never 100%. However using standard, bold, standrard, bold will get you to 100 quality, fairly easily. It's this point standard will eat no durability when it succeeds, yields 20% success rate. Bolds failure will eat far less durability upon failure at this point too. If you get a red orb during this time this is where you want to hit Bold, this will maximize your quality, it is ok to stray from the standard, bold system, at the chance you do fail following with a standard will fix the problem.
Always keep track of your durability, anything below 45, will decrease your HQ success chances, when it's getting low, and you are above 100 quality, push standard. Durability is still a factor even when HQing, having alot of it means more Touch ups, greater chance of HQing, 100+ quality will also increase your chance for HQ success, this is the minimum I shoot for. Random HQs happen as well, and can happen at any quality level, however you can take it to the next level of HQ, by getting 100 quality and maximum durability.
NEVER hit touch up when you are at 15 or below durability, even if it results as a normal item, it's still worth gil to either the npc or a player.
4. The Wait choice, I found that is success rate is very low when compared to hitting standard, for the most part it just eats your durability. I stopped using this choice, as standards success rate in stabilizing a synth is much greater. When you run into unstable elements in a synth, you are attempting a synth that is too high for your rank, if you see this more often than not stop doing that recipe. You can still succeed, when this happens, but your durability gets eaten very quickly, so expect to fail.
3. Abilities curently I am using Masterpiece and Fullfillment, as I don't have access to all rank 10 abilities. Make sure you don't use an ability prior to the first ability you use, has faded. They do help in your synthing process, both Masterpiece and Fullfillment will last for 50% of the synth, and they don't resist. I try and use Fullfillment at the second 50% of the synth as this is where the synth gets harder. If anyone can give thier take on other abilities please add it in.
Keep in mind this is not a 100% guranteed system, because of the randomness of fails, but it has lead me to a 1 out of three HQ rate, when the patch goes through this may be subject to change as your rank will also factor in, in success rate. I'll come back and edit this when I find out by how much.
I'm not an expert on crafting, at almost 3 months into the game, no one is. I just found a system of putting durability as a priority while synthing works very well and Standard synth is the stabilizer at any level. Learning how each choice functions at the current rank I am at vs the rank of the synth, has lead me to these conclusions. If anyone has found any other tips I may have missed, speak up.
Edited, Nov 24th 2010 8:20am by Spyrit178
Edited, Nov 24th 2010 8:24am by Spyrit178
Edited, Nov 24th 2010 8:37am by Spyrit178
Edited, Nov 24th 2010 8:40am by Spyrit178
Edited, Nov 24th 2010 8:48am by Spyrit178
Edited, Nov 24th 2010 10:36am by Spyrit178