Forum Settings
       
This Forum is Read Only

Repair DiscussionFollow

#1 Nov 24 2010 at 11:25 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
***
1,910 posts
Since I stupidly put a lot of thought into a post that's sitting in the middle of a flame thread I thought I'd move the content for general discussion. I'm interested to see what people make of my idea.

I think a big problem with FFXIV repairs is there is general ignorance regarding the value of many of the items out there and that there's a big difference in what makes the game fun for people. We all play the game for different reason, but the game has put in some major road blocks for us to overcome to make the game enjoyable: limited barter/bazaar-only trade (which may change with this week's patch), a general lack of equipment cohesion created by a wide array of crafts and a deep social curve to wrap it all together.

Mole Sinew may be vendor trash to you, it could mean a finished item with SP/gil tied to it for someone else. Given that there is such a distributed market (I don't think I could put that any more politically correct) price disparity and wild swings of valuation occur. Add to that the fact that at any given time a player may need to get repairs from multiple crafting specialists: weaver, goldsmith, blacksmith, armorer and maybe a leather worker too. The only place to handle all of those repairs is the worst value in the world: NPC repair vendors.

While I heartily enjoy the diverse number of crafts and items that can be made, it can seem an almost impossible task to "keep up" on repairs; likely the reason that so many players are running around with severely damaged equipment. Most people want to play a game for enjoyment, most players like to be as efficient about time/money sinks as possible so they can continue to enjoy the rest of the game. Having to either sacrifice a truck load of money for a sub-par repair, or potentially hours of running around for individual repairs, is not a compelling addition to the long-term enjoyment of a game.

Crafters cannot be everything to everyone (at least not yet). While a master smith may have made his or her way to the top, they likely can do nothing for you (in the short term) for your broken fishing rod. Nor can a jack-of-all-trades fix your Iron Axe of Awesome +2, because that person has spread their skills about (likely to manage their own repairs). So we have this diffuse crafting/repair economy with no standardization or coordination trying to assist a bevvy of adventurers who just want to have fun.

And fun being a finely subjective term may also add into this equation: A "towny" crafter may have no problem running between guilds to get their Velvet Robe of +40 craftsmanship repaired because it's in their back yard, but a Lancer would rather be in the field skewering nasty beasts. That Lancer's "fun" can potentially be ruined by the hoops that won't make the Weaver bat an eyelash. Worst case for the Lancer is they have to run into the middle of a town, far away from the Adventurer's Inn and the zone lines (where they want to be) to find a half-assed repair job for a mountain of cash.

I guess the proposal from me would be to make "sympathetic" crafts able to repair a range of goods, naturally using the required repair materials. Or that the repair range was severely slashed so that crafters of less overall skill can get adventurers back on their way. Both methods have their merits: one doubles or triples the pool of available crafters to assist you (the major drawback would be non-specialized crafters would have to consume bag space for multiple repair materials, or not have them at all), the other expands the repair pool as well as gives those crafters a small means of making basic funds/skill.

The latter would also alleviate multiple inhibiting factors; you are no longer "distracting" fast-track crafters from their grind to the top by asking for repairs, as well as reducing the expected cost of said repairs(lower level crafters would be much more content with a small sack of coins and a few SP, comparatively). It doesn't remove the ability for higher level crafters from providing repairs and certain boutique items could still require higher level mats/skill for the sake of not wholly relieving "Masters" of a market. Or better, both: lower level skill requirements and the ability to repair a range of gear (too much to ask?). Regardless, simplified repair mechanics would benefit to the enjoyment of the game for all.
____________________________
Ultros: Brinna Vahn
#2 Nov 24 2010 at 11:33 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
**
991 posts
Ok heres the point I was making in the other threads about my thoughts on the current repair situation

For starters, it isnt as bad as people are claiming it is, its the law of vocal minority on the internet.
A few people are making a huge deal and making themselves look like they are the majority in the process.

Facts are that MOST people are willing to pay fair prices for repairs. But you will have those few numbskulls who wanna pay 1gil to 1k gil total, when the crafter is using their mats, that are the ones who are getting mad they can not find a repair.

There is no lack of understanding out there, any battler can find out in a moment how much items are worth, after all, how else do they find out what to sell what they farm for? They can use the same method to find the value of the materials they are asking for repairs and use that to determine what price to pay for the repair.


The 2nd issue we have here is something that will be solved over time. It is that alot of people are overgearing themselves. That level 42 piece of gear that can only be repaired by 5 people on the server is a bit on the rediculous side when you get mad you cant find someone to repair it. And this is where the second group of complainers comes in. And to top it off, they are in the mid teens in levels when they are complaining about not getting repairs on their level 42 piece of gear.
____________________________

[ffxivsig]445254[/ffxivsig]
#3 Nov 24 2010 at 11:41 AM Rating: Good
*
222 posts
I am happy to do repairs even for small compensation, I think that it would be more beneficial if doing repairs gave a significant SP reward.
____________________________

[ffxivsig]1781845[/ffxivsig]
#4 Nov 24 2010 at 11:48 AM Rating: Good
Quote:
I guess the proposal from me would be to make "sympathetic" crafts able to repair a range of goods, naturally using the required repair materials. Or that the repair range was severely slashed so that crafters of less overall skill can get adventurers back on their way. Both methods have their merits: one doubles or triples the pool of available crafters to assist you (the major drawback would be non-specialized crafters would have to consume bag space for multiple repair materials, or not have them at all), the other expands the repair pool as well as gives those crafters a small means of making basic funds/skill.


I kinda like this idea. Blacksmith can do Armorer repairs, Leatherworker can fix Weaver stuff. I think for this to be feasible the repairer would have to have a minimum rank in the job that actually does the repairs (obviously not high enough to fix it, but some ranks) and only be able to fix it to a certain percentage, either slightly less than or equal to the NPC. Since this is a stop gap measure they should not be able to repair fully.

Quote:
The 2nd issue we have here is something that will be solved over time. It is that alot of people are overgearing themselves. That level 42 piece of gear that can only be repaired by 5 people on the server is a bit on the rediculous side when you get mad you cant find someone to repair it. And this is where the second group of complainers comes in. And to top it off, they are in the mid teens in levels when they are complaining about not getting repairs on their level 42 piece of gear


^ +1 this. I see this quite a bit where someone bought something uber awesome not considering that the only person likely to be able to do repairs is the person who sold it to them in the first place. The gap is narrowing however, as more and more crafters reach higher ranks. No where near as bad as it was when you had rank 10 DoW running around in bronze haubys.
#5 Nov 24 2010 at 11:54 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
***
1,910 posts
Seventhblood wrote:
I am happy to do repairs even for small compensation, I think that it would be more beneficial if doing repairs gave a significant SP reward.

I didn't want to focus on compensation because I wanted to focus on how to make it easier in the realm of taking less time and alleviating some of the chore behind it. While I understand compensation is important in a service-focused trade like repairs, I think making repairs more accessible across the board can make it more of a moot point.

Edit: and I very much agree with the over-gearing sentiment. Even if the item is repairable by many, having gear so far over your level makes trips to get repairs more frequent.

Edited, Nov 24th 2010 11:56am by Krycis
____________________________
Ultros: Brinna Vahn
#6 Nov 24 2010 at 11:55 AM Rating: Good
***
1,083 posts
Vedis wrote:

For starters, it isnt as bad as people are claiming it is,


But it is. I don't care about cost if its reasonable... fine even FFXI had its gil sinkholes. But its the ridiculous nonsensical amount of wear happening in just a few hours that has got me upset. I can't find a person to repair my gear in the middle of the woods! Why should I have to travel back to town every couple hours because another piece of my gear broke??? Travel back to town AND locate a repair person... its just such a timesink that I hate it with a large amount of bitterness. My plea is just for SE to make it reasonable. Your equip should be breaking like once a WEEK not 4 times a day.

And the worst part of it is the people that say it 'isn't that bad' - thanks for nothing because some of us actually want to see it fixed and not have SE think people are ok with it.

EDIT: and, no, i don't wear any gear above my rank.

Edited, Nov 24th 2010 12:57pm by rikkuotaku
____________________________
Wada: "There may be some areas of testing that were lacking or too rigid."
#7 Nov 24 2010 at 12:03 PM Rating: Default
Scholar
**
991 posts
rikkuotaku wrote:
Vedis wrote:

For starters, it isnt as bad as people are claiming it is,


But it is. I don't care about cost if its reasonable... fine even FFXI had its gil sinkholes. But its the ridiculous nonsensical amount of wear happening in just a few hours that has got me upset. I can't find a person to repair my gear in the middle of the woods! Why should I have to travel back to town every couple hours because another piece of my gear broke??? Travel back to town AND locate a repair person... its just such a timesink that I hate it with a large amount of bitterness. My plea is just for SE to make it reasonable. Your equip should be breaking like once a WEEK not 4 times a day.

And the worst part of it is the people that say it 'isn't that bad' - thanks for nothing because some of us actually want to see it fixed and not have SE think people are ok with it.

EDIT: and, no, i don't wear any gear above my rank.

Edited, Nov 24th 2010 12:57pm by rikkuotaku


Ok, now you are bordering on the unreasonable side.

While having repair NPCs are some of the crystals out in the field would be nice.....people will still hate it.
WHy? Because they do not want to use the NPC.

Is it the other players faults that they are not out at your camp offering you repairs? No it isnt.

a few hours? really? It takes me on average 5-6 hours, which is more then reasonable, to damage my gear enough to where I have to go back to town and repair it. And by that time i have a full inventory many times over anyway so its time for the trip to begin with.


And lastly, the solution to thise all i know every battlcraft hates to hear

Level the craft that is required to repair your own gear. There is a reason we are able to multi job in this game. Please use it.


Also note that "light damage" doesnt affect your gear too much, when heavy damage sets in thats when you really need to go back and fix it.

As for locating repairs in town, it is not as bad as you make it out to be. Especialy if you have the material to do it on hand yourself.
The 2 main reasons people dont want to repair for you at the guild or the repair NPC(the 2 places you should be looking) are because either they dont carry that specific material(it happens, remember, most crafters dont hold onto everything they find just to repair for you specificaly), or you may not be offering them enough to make it worth repairing(going back to the 1gil compensators).
Carry the material, and offer a fair reward, and your repair will be done in minutes.


Also with the new anima changes going in, teleporting around to do this will take a matter of minutes. If you cant be bothered to spend minutes, then you are in fact the problem here, and not the game mechanics.

Lastly, welcome to the vocal minority that I was talking about :)

Edited, Nov 24th 2010 10:04am by Vedis
____________________________

[ffxivsig]445254[/ffxivsig]
#8 Nov 24 2010 at 12:23 PM Rating: Excellent
*
90 posts
As an all-trades crafter, I have actually been able to do full repairs top-to-bottom on people who are at or around my Archer's rank... it took time, flipping through each job macro, doing a repair, flipping again, and I didn't get much out of it (other than well-equipped party mates)... but that's the nature of the beast.

So if the issue is that there aren't enough crafters out in the field... maybe start asking crafters you know if they have a combat job, and if they would like to party with you, and maybe earn some shards/crystals and mats, rather than simply partying with people who are solely focused on combat, grinding up the ranks, and sliding down the bad end of the player-repair-availability curve.

Yes, I know, asking hardcore "grinders" to slow down a bit can be like asking the sun not to rise... but you have to realize that you CAN grind endlessly to raise ranks, when crafters run out of mats/shards their progress stops until they get ahold of more... if you continually push ahead, naturally there will be fewer crafters to help you... but you COULD try to help that out.

Alternatively, go to the guilds you need repairs from most, and sell them the shards and mats they need CHEAP (not market price, whateverthehellz THAT is based on), making it easier for them to keep up with your ranks, provide you gear, and if you get to know a few crafters well... you may occasionally find yourself the recipient of a free repair or two (no guarantees on that though).

Sincerely,
Ailys Foxglove
-Kashuan

Edited, Nov 24th 2010 1:33pm by AilysFoxglove
#9 Nov 24 2010 at 12:31 PM Rating: Good
***
1,083 posts
Vedis wrote:

While having repair NPCs are some of the crystals out in the field would be nice.....people will still hate it.
WHy? Because they do not want to use the NPC.


I did not say I wanted repair NPCs in the field. I don't want to have to repair my gear AT ALL while out doing stuff.

Quote:

Is it the other players faults that they are not out at your camp offering you repairs? No it isnt.

huh? Is that supposed to make me feel bad? All I get from this is that is ridiculous for people to find repairs at camps. Yes, I agree, it is.

Quote:

a few hours? really? It takes me on average 5-6 hours, which is more then reasonable, to damage my gear enough to where I have to go back to town and repair it.

You must be one of the lucky ones whose gear wears all at the same time and does not use different gear sets for different tasks.

Quote:

Level the craft that is required to repair your own gear. There is a reason we are able to multi job in this game. Please use it.

I can't believe you offer this is as a solution. Wow. Why didn't I think of it. So dumb... all this time I just need to go level all my crafts. I'll get right on that. >.<

Quote:

Carry the material, and offer a fair reward, and your repair will be done in minutes.

....and now we're back to my point about not wanting to back to town ever 3-4 hours. Plus with multiple gear sets each requiring different crafts its never as straight forward as you make it out to be. Honestly... it rarely goes that smoothly. Maybe half the time yes the other half its a waiting searching shouting game.

Quote:

Also with the new anima changes going in, teleporting around to do this will take a matter of minutes. If you cant be bothered to spend minutes, then you are in fact the problem here, and not the game mechanics.


Here's another great solution that I can't believe I didn't think of. Teleporting everywhere just for repairs. Wow, its just so easy, what have I been doing all this time to miss this. All the anima changes in the world are not going to make this a plausible solution.

____________________________
Wada: "There may be some areas of testing that were lacking or too rigid."
#10 Nov 24 2010 at 12:41 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
991 posts
rikkuotaku wrote:
Vedis wrote:

While having repair NPCs are some of the crystals out in the field would be nice.....people will still hate it.
WHy? Because they do not want to use the NPC.


I did not say I wanted repair NPCs in the field. I don't want to have to repair my gear AT ALL while out doing stuff.

Quote:

Is it the other players faults that they are not out at your camp offering you repairs? No it isnt.

huh? Is that supposed to make me feel bad? All I get from this is that is ridiculous for people to find repairs at camps. Yes, I agree, it is.

Quote:

a few hours? really? It takes me on average 5-6 hours, which is more then reasonable, to damage my gear enough to where I have to go back to town and repair it.

You must be one of the lucky ones whose gear wears all at the same time and does not use different gear sets for different tasks.

Quote:

Level the craft that is required to repair your own gear. There is a reason we are able to multi job in this game. Please use it.

I can't believe you offer this is as a solution. Wow. Why didn't I think of it. So dumb... all this time I just need to go level all my crafts. I'll get right on that. >.<

Quote:

Carry the material, and offer a fair reward, and your repair will be done in minutes.

....and now we're back to my point about not wanting to back to town ever 3-4 hours. Plus with multiple gear sets each requiring different crafts its never as straight forward as you make it out to be. Honestly... it rarely goes that smoothly. Maybe half the time yes the other half its a waiting searching shouting game.

Quote:

Also with the new anima changes going in, teleporting around to do this will take a matter of minutes. If you cant be bothered to spend minutes, then you are in fact the problem here, and not the game mechanics.


Here's another great solution that I can't believe I didn't think of. Teleporting everywhere just for repairs. Wow, its just so easy, what have I been doing all this time to miss this. All the anima changes in the world are not going to make this a plausible solution.




after reading this ive come to 1 conclusion

you do not want repairs and durability in the game at all

this is a discussion about the current situation in the game, not a discussion about removing the feature from the game......


the game is what it is, yes things can be altered to make them easier, but in the end, it is our choices that determine what we must do in the game

no ones forcing you not to level a craft
no ones forcing you to use multiple gear sets
no ones forcing you to fight in non broken gear(you can fight in it you know)
____________________________

[ffxivsig]445254[/ffxivsig]
#11 Nov 24 2010 at 12:45 PM Rating: Good
**
398 posts
I'm convinced that SE intended for us to buy multiple weapons.

Have you guys ever tried making a weapon? It's ridiculously cheap. It's all a matter of finding the materials from the assortment of different crafts and putting them together.

Yesterday, in a span of probably 3 hours, I finished making four Battle Forks and four Banneret Lances from scratch (Well, this one had four iron lances put into it already). How?
1) Find iron ingots and iron squares (See: Pay off low rank blacksmith leveling up)
2) Give iron ingots to a high rank blacksmith
3) Give iron squares to a medium rank blacksmith
4) Find some buffalo leather straps (Wards)
5) Find some glue (Wards)
6) Find Oak log (Wards)
7) Give everything to carpenter

8) Find some brass plates
9) Find a few other assorted cheap common items
10) Give lances and other items to goldsmith

I went from having ~1.6m yesterday to .8m. If I did not tip my crafters like a good DoW, I would have literally lost probably ~250k-300k.

And I made eight @#%^ing high level weapons.

If you look at any of the old mmorpgs, it costs a literal arm and leg to get one item. If you look at this game, it costs 20k to get an ash muacautil. And 20k is nothing compared to any of the other games.

If you buy multiple weapons, your durability increases two, three, and fourfold (etc.) I have never had all four of my items break in one grinding session, it's just not feasible. I swap out weapons right when they hit 50% too.

And your armor is really never an issue unless you're at raptors.

Edited, Nov 24th 2010 1:46pm by Meowshi
#12 Nov 24 2010 at 12:51 PM Rating: Excellent
Scholar
***
3,226 posts
I'll say here what I've said before:

Let DoH create consumable repair kits of varying effectiveness and item rank range that anybody can use. Durability stays, crafters earn a little scratch and no one will ever have to camp around a repair NPC again.

The only thing removed here is inconvenience.
____________________________
w(°o°)w
#13 Nov 24 2010 at 1:06 PM Rating: Default
Scholar
**
322 posts
If you have a problem with the repair system then level your crafting classes.

Problem solved.

You put up with the inconvenience because you lack a certain skill. You don't see high tier crafters moaning that it costs them so much for shards so why are people complaining about repairs?

The system is cumbersome right now, but that is about it - I feel the benefits of promote socializing and rewarding crafters outweighs the negatives.

I believe half the problem is that people are trying to play this MMO like other MMOs out there instead of playing by "its" rules.

Play it as it was intended to be played and you won't have any problems.

My thoughts on the topic:

People are being way too tight with repairs. They should be paying at least 25% of the items cost, as doing your round of rank 80 leves will easily net you 100k. 25k of that used for repairs isn't out of the question.
____________________________
[ffxivsig]1746409[/ffxivsig]

#14 Nov 24 2010 at 2:21 PM Rating: Default
Scholar
**
364 posts
FWIW, you are not going to find an accurate consensus on a board like this for a game like FFXIV. There are less than 30,000 people still actively playing at this point, and this board represents an even smaller subset of that. It stands to reason that we are the most hardcore super nerds by a wide margin, so obviously many of the thoughts, opinions, and views are going to be heavily biased and tilted compared to the real majority. I don't think there's a chance in **** the current repair system would fly with "the casual masses" SE claims to be targeting, but much of this board may suggest it's fine.


Edited, Nov 24th 2010 3:28pm by Furia
#15 Nov 24 2010 at 2:40 PM Rating: Good
*
165 posts
Almalexia wrote:
Let DoH create consumable repair kits of varying effectiveness and item rank range that anybody can use. Durability stays, crafters earn a little scratch and no one will ever have to camp around a repair NPC again.


I really like that idea. Maybe those repair kits are only good for a range of 1-5 levels (ie, a Level 10 kit will repair items with Optimal Rank of 5-10) and maybe it only repairs to 75% the same way the in-town NPC does but it has the GREAT advantage of being portable, with the cost of an inventory slot.

It keeps you going and on your feet out in the middle of the Shroud and if you don't repair your stuff to 100% more than once a week (or two) because you're okay with blowing your spare gil on Repair Kits... more power to you.

I like that idea a lot. Particularly if each Hand class makes Repair Kits specific to the types of amour/weapons that they can normally repair in person (spread the work (and profit) around).


#16 Nov 24 2010 at 3:07 PM Rating: Good
12 posts
I fall in the catagory that has leveled all the crafts needed for repairs.
I've came to the conclusion real fast concerning repairs. If I could not repair it.I did not need it. It has kept me from wearing gear to high for my rank. I have three sets of gear to keep repaired.(Crafting,Gathering,Combat)
As far as repairs while leveling or farming. I carry the tools and mats to keep my lance or dagger repaired depending on what i'm leveling at the time. You are only talking 3 inventory slots. I have every thing macro'ed so it take less than 5 min for repiar's and back to the fight.
The rest of my gear I can go farm and grind 3-4 hours or even longer before armor goes yellow, and most the time it the undergarments(That need to be fixed)that need repair first before the rest.

As far as doing repairs for others, a reward is nice(Since I'm still buying canvas fent and buffalo spetch still not high enough to make yet) but I tend to ask for shards or crystal instead less farming I have to do especially for crystals.


Yes, SE needs to address the repair system and streamline it. But people are make it seem harder and more complicated than it really is.

____________________________
[ffxivsig]1807333[/ffxivsig]
http://lodestone.finalfantasyxiv.com/rc/character/status?cicuid=2114083


[riftsig]1807333[/riftsig]
#17 Nov 24 2010 at 4:36 PM Rating: Good
Sage
***
1,675 posts
I offered 5K per item with no mats (level 12-20 gear; dodo leather) and the repair in my bazzar and a crafter repaired my items, but it didn't repair them in full. :(

So basically the basic minimum level crafter could try to repair my stuff for the gil, but I want someone who is higher level and I can't do that within the confines of the bazzar.

In a sort of RP justification as a DoW/M I don't care what's involved with repairing, I just want it to be repaired.

If we're going to have to deal with this inane system:

Either make repairs from the NPC to 100% for a VERY high cost. Repairs from appropriate crafters always 100% and it is up to the 'market' to set appropriate prices. Finally 75% repair NPCs out at the Aetherytes.

A few posters might be right; perhaps to get rid of items, to stop the cornering of certain goods, maybe SE wants us to BUY gear instead of repairing it. And that it intolerable when searching for gear; especially rings and well...everything.
#18 Nov 24 2010 at 4:57 PM Rating: Good
**
398 posts
Crafter repairs are always 100%

You just need to view the item from your inventory page to let the wear update. (It's at 100%, you just see an outdated version of it)

Edited, Nov 24th 2010 6:03pm by Meowshi
#19 Nov 24 2010 at 4:59 PM Rating: Excellent
***
2,120 posts
Kierk wrote:
I offered 5K per item with no mats (level 12-20 gear; dodo leather) and the repair in my bazzar and a crafter repaired my items, but it didn't repair them in full. :(


Player repairs always bring it to 100% as far as I've seen. Maybe you saw the chatlog that said it improved by 34%(for example). That would be because it was at 66% initially. Or like Meowshi said...

Edited, Nov 24th 2010 6:00pm by TwistedOwl
____________________________

#20 Nov 24 2010 at 5:48 PM Rating: Good
Sage
***
1,675 posts
TwistedOwl wrote:
Kierk wrote:
I offered 5K per item with no mats (level 12-20 gear; dodo leather) and the repair in my bazzar and a crafter repaired my items, but it didn't repair them in full. :(


Player repairs always bring it to 100% as far as I've seen. Maybe you saw the chatlog that said it improved by 34%(for example). That would be because it was at 66% initially. Or like Meowshi said...

Edited, Nov 24th 2010 6:00pm by TwistedOwl



I'll have to check again, my gear was pretty damaged.

I saw the chat log and the percentages, but like Meowshi said, maybe it lags on the inventory screen? Though I checked at least a couple of minutes after and it wasn't updated.

Well, if that's the case then this repair system (in this respect) isn't as bad as I thought.
#21 Nov 24 2010 at 5:54 PM Rating: Good
**
398 posts
It lags on the Attributes & Gear screen so it shows your outdated amount.

It will update if you view the item via the Inventory screen instead.
#22 Nov 24 2010 at 6:23 PM Rating: Excellent
*
67 posts
I think there would be a relitively easy way to fix the repair issue...gear being repaired by multiple crafts. I do not see the lack of "realism" to having a leatherworker patch a cloth robe, or an armorer who shapes metal able to repair a spear head. If they allowed for cross-class repairs, this would cut down significantly on the durability/repair issue...in my opinion. Weavers and leatherworkers should be able to repair non-metal armor, whereas a blacksmith/armorer should be able to repair anything metal. Bone/wood should be carpenter/gold. Now, there are some obvious recipes that this won't cookie cutter into, but they could fix that on a item-by-item basis. I think if you opened up a second class to repair gear, the stress would be greatly relieved and it still fits this fantasy "realism". Dunno, whatchu guys think?

~Skye

Edited, Nov 24th 2010 7:24pm by SkyeAyatari
____________________________

[ffxivsig]1804948[/ffxivsig]
#23 Nov 24 2010 at 6:54 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
*
105 posts
A simple solution if to have multiple weapons on you. Carry 3 or 4 weapons and your set for 1-2 days worth of farming. If you're a gladiator buy extra shields. Problem solved.

Don't go telling me armor wear down fast, because that's bull. I went from R30-37 and I've yet to repair any of my armor, and I'm a crafter also my armor is way above my rank.
____________________________
[ffxivsig]1808980[/ffxivsig]
#24 Nov 24 2010 at 7:53 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
***
1,948 posts
I don't know, I've seen some people with overwhelmingly underleveled broken gear in red gear icon rush their way to r50. What's so much with people crying about gear damage anyway?
____________________________



[ffxivsig]1807831[/ffxivsig]
#25 Nov 24 2010 at 8:03 PM Rating: Default
Repair and accessories slots were terrible ideas that could be simply deleted and (almost) no one would ever miss them. Honestly, if repair and accessories slots would be gone from game would anyone here get ****** or quit? The accessories slots is pretty much the same thing, the stronger the equipment the higher penalty you take from wearing it.

I got a very hard drop. An Eye Patch+3. Wanna know what it take to TRY to repair it? a level 38 LW. Wanna know how long it takes to go from 100% to broken? less than a day. Trying to find a 38 LW? Either have someone in your LS or be prepared to leave your character afk nearby wards or the LW guild.

Repair and Accesories slots cost can be forgotten really, they just dont work in the game, they bring more annoyance than help the economy or whatever you may think of.
#26 Nov 24 2010 at 8:43 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
991 posts
MclarenTAGPorsche wrote:
Repair and accessories slots were terrible ideas that could be simply deleted and (almost) no one would ever miss them. Honestly, if repair and accessories slots would be gone from game would anyone here get ****** or quit? The accessories slots is pretty much the same thing, the stronger the equipment the higher penalty you take from wearing it.

I got a very hard drop. An Eye Patch+3. Wanna know what it take to TRY to repair it? a level 38 LW. Wanna know how long it takes to go from 100% to broken? less than a day. Trying to find a 38 LW? Either have someone in your LS or be prepared to leave your character afk nearby wards or the LW guild.

Repair and Accesories slots cost can be forgotten really, they just dont work in the game, they bring more annoyance than help the economy or whatever you may think of.


that eye patch is a prime example of people having gear that no one can yet repair

DO NOT wear it until people are more readily able to repair it, or be prepared to not be able to have it repaired at all
____________________________

[ffxivsig]445254[/ffxivsig]
#27 Nov 24 2010 at 10:00 PM Rating: Good
Sage
*
221 posts
I don't know if any other Blacksmiths feel the same...

but I hate the fact that as a Blacksmith, I can repair my own tool easily ... but I have to un-equip it first to repair it. So I had to buy a rank-1 BS tool to equip while I repair my own BS tool ....

Yeah... I don't think they put enough thought into the whole repair system...

Edited, Nov 24th 2010 8:01pm by zpanda
____________________________
[ffxivsig]598860[/ffxivsig]
#28 Nov 24 2010 at 10:02 PM Rating: Good
*****
11,576 posts
Vedis wrote:
after reading this ive come to 1 conclusion

you do not want repairs and durability in the game at all

this is a discussion about the current situation in the game, not a discussion about removing the feature from the game......


the game is what it is, yes things can be altered to make them easier, but in the end, it is our choices that determine what we must do in the game

no ones forcing you not to level a craft
no ones forcing you to use multiple gear sets
no ones forcing you to fight in non broken gear(you can fight in it you know)


K, for starters, be a sport and do me a favor...I was watching this in the other thread and it's driving me friggin' bonkers. Don't quote 1.5 pages of crap. Trim down your quotes. If you're responding to someone a post or two above your response, nobody needs to have to scroll down a full page just to get past your wall-o-quote.

That having been said, you're wrong. Unless you're repairing all of your gear to full every time you get any of your gear repaired, it is VERY easy to get stuck in a constant cycle of Gear Damage debuffs. I hate wasting mats repairing gear that doesn't need it. Right now I'm stuck in the middle of that cycle with my crafting gear. I repair one piece when it goes yellow and everything else is fine. 20 minutes later my underpants need repair so I run over to the NPC and get those taken care of. I get back to crafting and half an hour later my head gear needs repairs so I repair that and my pants and gloves because they were below 60%, too. I get back into crafting and 30 minutes later my belt gives me the gear damage debuff so I repair that and get back to crafting. 30 minutes later my tool gives me the gear damage debuff...and on...and on...and on.

Part of the issue is that gear doesn't decay at the same rate. My chain armor pieces last forever. My weapon needs repairs every 90-120 minutes of hard grinding. My shield is usually good for about 3 hours. So let's assume I can't repair all of my own gear. Let's say I'm out in the field grinding away and my weapon goes yellow, so I run back to town and either pay the NPC to bring it to 75% (meaning it's only going to last for an hour or so before it goes yellow again) or I scrounge around for someone to repair it. Now do I pay the repair NPC to add 8% durability to my shield just so I don't have to come back so soon, or do I stand around and spam for an armorer to fix it? Or do I just head back out into the field knowing that whether I got my dagger repaired to 75% or 100%, I'm going to be back in an hour looking for repairs to my shield?

Between the pace of gear decay and the staggered rate of decay, the repair system consumes altogether too much attention from players. You should be able to go out for an epic grind session and spend 4-6 hours slaughtering beasties if that's what you want to do and not have to worry about the long trek back to town for repairs. The repair NPCs should scale their prices based on how much durability they're actually adding to the gear in question. And at the end of your epic grind it makes sense that you'd repair your gear if it's anywhere close to 50% just so you're ready for the next epic grind session. Right now, however, that's not the case. 2 hours of hard grinding is all you get before you need repairs? *********
#29 Nov 24 2010 at 10:21 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
**
685 posts
So it's a problem of decay rates? What about if the gear lasted longer, so at the end of a grind session you just spend some time getting everything repaired and ready for the next? This way it's an adjustment of the system rather than completely removing it.
____________________________
[ffxivsig]762856[/ffxivsig]
Crafter Consortium Craftsman/Gatherers Linkshell
#30 Nov 24 2010 at 10:22 PM Rating: Excellent
*
90 posts
MclarenTAGPorsche wrote:
I got a very hard drop. An Eye Patch+3. Wanna know what it take to TRY to repair it? a level 38 LW. Wanna know how long it takes to go from 100% to broken? less than a day. Trying to find a 38 LW? Either have someone in your LS or be prepared to leave your character afk nearby wards or the LW guild.


*sigh*

There is a LOT that I want to say about the rest of your post... but my style of presenting arguments tends to get lengthy and there is an eggplant parmesan dinner almost ready for me, so I will just focus on this.

1) It takes a MUCH MUCH MUCH shorter time for you to hit rank 38 in a combat class than it takes someone else to hit rank 38 in a crafting class.
2) You say it takes "less than a day" to take your new toy and completely break it (which is a misnomer anyway, even at 1hp nothing is ever really "broken", it is simply less effective). This indicates to me, and feel free to correct me if I am wrong, that you were out battling ALL-DAY.
3) There are very few dedicated (1 craft or crafting-only) crafters, most players who craft ALSO have a combat class and many ALSO have a gather class to support their craft.... this means that their time is split between crafting gathering and combat, impacting the pace of their crafting rank gains even more. Very few people spend ALL DAY crafting, especially only one craft.
Those factors set up the two bell-curves in play, the first is the rank of DoW/DoMs in the game, the second the rank of DoHs, currently the bulge of the DoW/DoM curve is set ahead of the bulge of the DoH curve... grinding all day only pushes you farther ahead of the DoH bulge, limiting the current number of crafters who can fix your gear.
This is all a matter of PACING. You (and others like you) sound like you have raced past the crafting curve and now are upset that you can't get repairs. That doesn't mean that the repair system is broken, it is just an artifact of being a new game where there is not a smoother spread of crafters.

So two suggestions...
A) Help crafters move forward, go to the guilds where most of your repairs come from and sell the crafters there shards/crystals and mats dirt cheap. Supplying them with what they need to rank up will only help you in the long run, you might also make some new friends (who craft) and gain the benefits of that as well.
B) If the class you are using has ranked out of range of the crafting curve, and you don't want to take up a craft yourself (I do recognize that position as valid), pick up a NEW DoW/DoM class, get the low-level gear for it and go back to grinding if you want. Since you'll be back BENEATH the DoH rank curve you should find repairs much more easily.

And a bonus third suggestion...
C) Pace yourself... this isn't a race... there's no medal or trophy waiting for you at rank 50.

Sincerely,
Ailys Foxglove
-Kashuan
#31 Nov 25 2010 at 1:25 AM Rating: Decent
*****
11,576 posts
zpanda wrote:
I don't know if any other Blacksmiths feel the same...

but I hate the fact that as a Blacksmith, I can repair my own tool easily ... but I have to un-equip it first to repair it. So I had to buy a rank-1 BS tool to equip while I repair my own BS tool ....

Yeah... I don't think they put enough thought into the whole repair system...


I found in the early ranks it wasn't too bad. I was tending to upgrade tools faster than I had to repair them. That all goes out the window as you rank up, of course, and need to do more synths to move from one rank to the next. I just carry around my previous hammer with me to repair my current, but I agree it's rather silly.

I'm hoping that SE decides to eliminate the need to unequip gear in order to repair it. I don't care about immersive value and whether or not it makes sense to try and sew up the crotch of your pants while you're wearing them. All I care about is the process, and if I can repair all of my own gear by simply equipping the appropriate tools and right clicking the gear on my paper doll, SE will have gone a long way to salvage this shenanigan. And just as good for repairing the gear of other players. To **** with this bazaar crap. Give us a repair UI pane where we can flag all of our gear with materials (if we have them) and a gil amount to give to any crafter that repairs the gear. Ready for repairs? Right click the gear on your paper doll, it gives you an icon that everyone else can see, and a crafter can come along, "Check" your character, right click the indicated gear pieces and find out everything they need to know and do the repair or not. Done. Slick, easy, fast. I think that would work.
#32 Nov 25 2010 at 1:45 AM Rating: Excellent
Sage
*
227 posts
I must say, I've never had a repair problem, I have had problems getting tools though. But whenever I have had that problem I gathered the materials, found a properly leveled crafter and asked politely, offering a choice of crafting materials, crystals, or hill as a reward. Usually I thank them afterwerds by dumping free crafting materials of thier choice anyway. :P

Mainly I don't have a problem though, all my gathering levels follow the rate of which the majority level crafts, so there is plenty out there to repair my rank 32-37 gathering gear. Also as far as I have noticed, it does seem like the ability to repair a piece of gear is easier than making it, I could repair sheepskin gathering gear as a rank 1-5 leatherworker when I ran around with a full set of that and I believe the sheepskin hand pieces were a rank 10-20 ranged craft.

Either way, I guess I have an advantage being a gatherer and able to come with materials.
#33 Nov 26 2010 at 7:56 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
**
685 posts
Just devil's advocate with the blacksmith thing:

You want to repair a hammer with that hammer? It's like having a brand new swiss army knife behind those God-aweful plastic packaging that really requires a knife to cut through (and even then you slice your hand open), and somehow opening it with the swiss army knife.
____________________________
[ffxivsig]762856[/ffxivsig]
Crafter Consortium Craftsman/Gatherers Linkshell
This forum is read only
This Forum is Read Only!
Recent Visitors: 24 All times are in CST
Anonymous Guests (24)