Forum Settings
       
This Forum is Read Only

Why the **** does no one wanna help?Follow

#1 Nov 26 2010 at 5:24 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
1,536 posts
Everyone's just good at talking about "no community" but when it comes down to it no one even makes a $%#@in effort. I've been on Gyshal for 3 days now asking for a link pearl, just shouting in town or asking some passersby and no one has offered me one. Why the **** not? Its frustrating as is doing anything solo and boring to be honest, I just want a pearl to get to know some people and maybe party up with someone and no one is willing to help....and why the **** did SE not add a party seek function yet or at least make it so under "purpose" in the recruitment window, one of the options is "experience party".
____________________________
MUTED
#2 Nov 26 2010 at 5:27 PM Rating: Decent
**
763 posts
Move to Linblum. We will pearl you.

http://www.knightsofeorzea.com

Mokatu Galaxius
LS Leader
#3 Nov 26 2010 at 5:30 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
1,536 posts
I appreciate it but i've moved so many times already i just don't feel like starting over again tbh. .
____________________________
MUTED
#4 Nov 26 2010 at 5:37 PM Rating: Decent
**
923 posts
Usually the server forums have linkshell recruitment posts, try there.
#5 Nov 26 2010 at 5:38 PM Rating: Decent
Sage
**
551 posts
SolidMack wrote:
Everyone's just good at talking about "no community" but when it comes down to it no one even makes a $%#@in effort. I've been on Gyshal for 3 days now asking for a link pearl, just shouting in town or asking some passersby and no one has offered me one. Why the **** not? Its frustrating as is doing anything solo and boring to be honest, I just want a pearl to get to know some people and maybe party up with someone and no one is willing to help....and why the **** did SE not add a party seek function yet or at least make it so under "purpose" in the recruitment window, one of the options is "experience party".


Haven't you heard? Apparently talking/shouting in regular chat is "rude". lol

Edit: Oh, unless you're offering to teleport people for 20k.:p

Edited, Nov 26th 2010 6:40pm by Zorvan
____________________________



#6 Nov 26 2010 at 5:40 PM Rating: Default
**
353 posts
The current party function is bad but its doable. We just need more ppl to use it.
#7 Nov 26 2010 at 5:43 PM Rating: Decent
**
462 posts
I know our LS doesn't pearl random passerbys... A lot of us know each other from FF11, other games and RL...

I can imagine the game would be frustrating without anyone to talk with.. I suggest trying to get into xp parties, and if you do well and are nice to people.. they may want to see you more regularly... Most people just don't toss out a pearl randomly... at least from what I can tell?
____________________________
Maverik
Paradise Oblivion
75SMN/41WHM/45BRD/37RNG/75COR
Maverick Hawkeye. Kashuan.
#8namasy, Posted: Nov 26 2010 at 5:54 PM, Rating: Sub-Default, (Expand Post) this game is all for them self, you u lose they gain.
#9 Nov 26 2010 at 5:57 PM Rating: Decent
**
696 posts
Imaboomer wrote:
The current party function is bad but its doable. We just need more ppl to use it.

It was bad but doable now it's a waste of time in many cases. Here's hoping for a fix to the fix.
#10 Nov 26 2010 at 6:48 PM Rating: Decent
**
268 posts
Too bad when you xp party you can't talk since you have to spend every second pushing buttons. Keep trying man, you can find one. =)
____________________________
Kula Vermillion - Mysidia

#11 Nov 26 2010 at 7:50 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
*
148 posts
Wow, really I'd never imagine something like what OP is going through would happen on any other server.
On Besaid, tons of people are shouting looking for people to join their LS. I've seen offers in Japanese, English, Spanish and French so far. Also, I've never been turned down for a LS so long as I asked the person running the linkshell and not some random LS member. Most members of link shells CANNOT invite other people into their linkshell.. You need to find their leader and then talk to them to get an LS invite.

Asking random LS members for LS invite is a waste of time.. If anything, you need to ask them who the leader of their LS is, and they probably don't even know without looking it up in the menu. Then you send that leader a /tell.

Edited, Nov 26th 2010 8:52pm by Sidicas
#12 Nov 26 2010 at 7:53 PM Rating: Good
***
2,120 posts
Sidicas wrote:
Wow, really I'd never imagine something like what OP is going through would happen on any other server.
On Besaid, tons of people are shouting looking for people to join their LS. I've seen offers in Japanese, English, Spanish and French so far. Also, I've never been turned down for a LS so long as I asked the person running the linkshell and not some random LS member. Most members of link shells CANNOT invite other people into their linkshell.. You need to find their leader and then talk to them to get an LS invite.


Same on Selbina. I just ported into town and the first thing I see is "LS Do you need it?" Which prompted me to come back after reading this thread earlier. I see those shouts quite often. Indeed the LS system needs more work in terms of convenience(sugarcoated version), that can be an issue at times.
____________________________

#13Sidicas, Posted: Nov 26 2010 at 8:00 PM, Rating: Sub-Default, (Expand Post) No, what's rude is shouting demands that other people do things for you. Fix all my stuff for barely any gil at the location that I'm at. Instead of shouting "(Cotton Tights) (Repair) (Can I have it?) Chocobo" you should phrase it as "(Cotton Tights) (Repair) (Can you do it?)" and then not be a lazy American and get off your **** and go to the place where the person who can repair it is, if you want that service. Often they're with their friends or with their linkshell group and they'd just say where they are and I'd go there. Don't forget to bow.
#14 Nov 26 2010 at 10:40 PM Rating: Good
Oh I know what you mean about that... Last Monday on Besaid a large group of RPers got together for a Masquerade Ball held by one LS. We were well outta the way but people decided to come investigate out of character (OOC) and started trying to harass everyone by yelling at them to shut up, threatening with GM reports, and other obscene gestures/words. From what I've seen however most on Besaid are pretty nice, I had a Japanese player sell me a Malachite Earring she had for 30K because I was looking for a pair to use on my Miqo'te. She took it off, repaired it, and then sold it to me.

To the OP I know you don't wanna move around much but you might want to consider switching servers if after awhile nobody will help you. I can't speak for Gyshal's population but Besaid's is pretty friendly if you meet the right people. :)

Edited, Nov 26th 2010 8:40pm by SamusKnight
____________________________
FINAL FANTASY XIV Roleplayer

Sair Gammonari - Hyur Midlander Male - Conjurer (Somewhat retired.)
Mihana Zhralyia - Miqo'te Seeker of the Sun Female - Archer



#15 Nov 26 2010 at 10:57 PM Rating: Decent
***
3,530 posts
SolidMack wrote:
why the **** did SE not add a party seek function


This. XD
____________________________
"... he called to himself a wizard, named Gallery, hoping by this means to escape the paying of the fifteen hundred crowns..." (Machen 15)

"Thus opium is pleasing... on account of the agreeable delirium it produces." (Burke para.6)

"I could only read so much for this paper and the syphilis poem had to go."
#16 Nov 26 2010 at 11:52 PM Rating: Good
Sage
**
551 posts
Sidicas wrote:
Zorvan wrote:

Haven't you heard? Apparently talking/shouting in regular chat is "rude". lol

Edit: Oh, unless you're offering to teleport people for 20k.:p

Edited, Nov 26th 2010 6:40pm by Zorvan


No, what's rude is shouting demands that other people do things for you. Fix all my stuff for barely any gil at the location that I'm at. Instead of shouting "(Cotton Tights) (Repair) (Can I have it?) Chocobo" you should phrase it as "(Cotton Tights) (Repair) (Can you do it?)" and then not be a lazy American and get off your **** and go to the place where the person who can repair it is, if you want that service. Often they're with their friends or with their linkshell group and they'd just say where they are and I'd go there. Don't forget to bow.


You can shout all you want with offers, and nobody (Japanese or English) cares. TBH, I've found Americans to be much less tolerant of "spam" than the Japanese. There was a guy on Besaid who went totally berserk on somebody shouting a bit too much with teleport offers.

If you want help from Japanese players, you can't be lazy.. That's probably the #1 rule right there.. Don't have them come to you, go to them. And don't cheapskate them on the repairs either. Yes, they'll probably do it for 1 gil to save face in front of their LS mates, but know how much the repair mats of your gear costs and price your repairs appropriately.


Edited, Nov 26th 2010 9:12pm by Sidicas


Nice rant. Too bad it has nothing to do with me.

My comment was in regards to every time anyone new asks why chat is dead, someone will inevitably say that it is a carry over from FFXI where it is considered "rude" to talk in general chat. Apparently, you're supposed to have an LS before you even enter the game for the first time, or play silently.

Makes me laugh, personally.
____________________________



#17 Nov 27 2010 at 4:27 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
*
58 posts
I managed to find out that most of the players on servers other than Fabul, Lindblum, Besaid, or Palamecia do not like meeting new people. Therefore all servers not mention tend to have anti-social LS(s).

I recommend going to one of those 4, but check the forums on other sites too to see what LS(s) are still recruiting.
#18 Nov 27 2010 at 6:21 AM Rating: Default
Avatar
**
531 posts
Bertlit wrote:
I managed to find out that most of the players on servers other than Fabul, Lindblum, Besaid, or Palamecia do not like meeting new people. Therefore all servers not mention tend to have anti-social LS(s).

I recommend going to one of those 4, but check the forums on other sites too to see what LS(s) are still recruiting.



How did you come up with this assumption? Have you been to every server? By chance let's say for the sake of arguement that you visited every server. Were you on all day? How do you know if maybe at a different time other people log on who might be more friendly than the last? How do you know just one small group on a server that's anti-social means the whole server acts like they do. I hate when people assume that just because one or two bad experiences happened to them suddenly means that everyone on the server is bad, anti-social, etc.

You can't classify whole servers as anti-social because you would never be logged on enough to see everybody.
____________________________






#19 Nov 27 2010 at 6:50 AM Rating: Default
Scholar
35 posts
Sidicas wrote:
Zorvan wrote:

Haven't you heard? Apparently talking/shouting in regular chat is "rude". lol

Edit: Oh, unless you're offering to teleport people for 20k.:p

Edited, Nov 26th 2010 6:40pm by Zorvan


No, what's rude is shouting demands that other people do things for you. Fix all my stuff for barely any gil at the location that I'm at. Instead of shouting "(Cotton Tights) (Repair) (Can I have it?) Chocobo" you should phrase it as "(Cotton Tights) (Repair) (Can you do it?)" and then not be a lazy American and get off your **** and go to the place where the person who can repair it is, if you want that service. Often they're with their friends or with their linkshell group and they'd just say where they are and I'd go there. Don't forget to bow.


You can shout all you want with offers, and nobody (Japanese or English) cares. TBH, I've found Americans to be much less tolerant of "spam" than the Japanese. There was a guy on Besaid who went totally berserk on somebody shouting a bit too much with teleport offers.

If you want help from Japanese players, you can't be lazy.. That's probably the #1 rule right there.. Don't have them come to you, go to them. And don't cheapskate them on the repairs either. Yes, they'll probably do it for 1 gil to save face in front of their LS mates, but know how much the repair mats of your gear costs and price your repairs appropriately.


Edited, Nov 26th 2010 9:12pm by Sidicas

Quit your off-topic chat spam.
#20 Nov 27 2010 at 11:03 AM Rating: Default
7 posts
There are helpful people out there. I am a member of Monolith on Lindblum server. We are very social. I haven't been to any other servers. I see normal chat every now and then and no one yells at them as long as it isn't gill sellers. They are right about LS leader/captains being able to hand out pearls. Please check out the server forums for recruiting linkshells. I had to apply to my LS on their website and they responded very quickly.
____________________________
#21 Nov 27 2010 at 11:07 AM Rating: Good
*****
11,539 posts
Our shell can be pretty social when people are online.
____________________________
[ffxisig]55836[/ffxisig]

Mikhalia: and FWIW, my posts are 95% helpful, informative, or funny.
Mikhalia: only 5% or less of my posts are utter crap.
Tyapex: 393 posts of utter crap...
Mikhalia: Sounds about right.
#22 Nov 27 2010 at 11:18 AM Rating: Decent
*
90 posts
I can't say that I've had any problem like yours, but I play a little differently...

Allow me to describe and then you can just take any idea that may be useful to you...

When I'm in town, I'm in town to sell, do repairs, pick up leves, and head back out (unless I'm crafting).
I'm not really in town to recruit or look for a party, and people who are shouting for people to party up, or recruiting for LS I don't really respond to.
When I go out to whatever rank-appropriate camp for my leves I usually give a quick shout to see if someone wants to join up to run leves, if no one replies, I go solo.
If I see someone shout for help, I offer to help.
If a behest is getting ready to begin, I sign up and ask if anyone else is in on it and wants to party (usually easy to tell from the people gathered around the battlewarden).
When grouped, I know to chat while running from place to place but when the timer is running, I am on someone elses' time and need to do my job well to ensure that they get their rewards.
My main thing is, I don't ask to join the linkshell of anyone, I feel that if I do my job well and play friendly and fun then I'll earn my invites.
I also don't offer a pearl to complete strangers, but when you run a couple leves with someone, they're an acquaintance not a stranger ("Oh, that guy, yeah... I ran some leves with him, he's cool.")
If I group up with someone and they seem pretty cool, then I invite them to my LS (I started with just me and my best friend, but you can start one by yourself) and they will usually offer me a pearl from theirs.

I hope you find something in this that helps!

Sincerely,
Ailys Foxglove
-Kashuan
#23 Nov 27 2010 at 12:12 PM Rating: Decent
*
246 posts
Over here on Kashuan, I haven't had that issue as the OP has. I have two linkshells, both were offered to me. I imagine that I could get more if I asked. I can imagine not all servers are the same. I'm really happy with my server atm.
____________________________
#24 Nov 27 2010 at 12:48 PM Rating: Good
*
115 posts
Sidicas wrote:
Zorvan wrote:

Haven't you heard? Apparently talking/shouting in regular chat is "rude". lol

Edit: Oh, unless you're offering to teleport people for 20k.:p

Edited, Nov 26th 2010 6:40pm by Zorvan


No, what's rude is shouting demands that other people do things for you. Fix all my stuff for barely any gil at the location that I'm at. Instead of shouting "(Cotton Tights) (Repair) (Can I have it?) Chocobo" you should phrase it as "(Cotton Tights) (Repair) (Can you do it?)" and then not be a lazy American and get off your **** and go to the place where the person who can repair it is, if you want that service. Often they're with their friends or with their linkshell group and they'd just say where they are and I'd go there. Don't forget to bow.


You can shout all you want with offers, and nobody (Japanese or English) cares. TBH, I've found Americans to be much less tolerant of "spam" than the Japanese. There was a guy on Besaid who went totally berserk on somebody shouting a bit too much with teleport offers.

If you want help from Japanese players, you can't be lazy.. That's probably the #1 rule right there.. Don't have them come to you, go to them. And don't cheapskate them on the repairs either. Yes, they'll probably do it for 1 gil to save face in front of their LS mates, but know how much the repair mats of your gear costs and price your repairs appropriately.


Am I the only one that was offended by this entire post? I'm American and many of my LS mates are American and none of these generalizations you've stated fit any of us.

That being said, our LS generally goes by the vouching system. We've had a recent issue with some people being 'invited off the street' and the results were bad. They were rude, demanding, and unwilling to help other LS members while requiring the assistance they wanted for free. The members often picked fights, used racist terms, and were the cause for many reports from LS members to sack holders. As a result, we had to break the LS and reform to get rid of all of them.

In order to prevent this from happening again we now work on a vouching system. Everyone is welcome, but a member has to be willing to vouch for them, which means the member has to have spent time with them, talked with them, and gotten to know them a bit. We have an LS website and a set of rules all members and officers are required to follow; which we inform every new member of.

OP, what I suggest is getting to know the people in your server if you're not willing to server hop now. Offer leves out by shout a few times and see if anyone bites. If you craft, craft around your guild and start some conversations with those crafting around you. When you buy/sell something try starting a conversation with them and make some connections. The more you talk to people the more friends you'll make, I bet within 10-15 minutes of talking with them you can ask, "How's the community in your LS? I've been trying to find one. Think I can join?" As long as you're nice and polite, most likely (no matter what country they're from) they'll be nice and polite.


Edited, Nov 27th 2010 11:53am by Joscerelle
____________________________
FFXIV (Joscerelle Faire) - Officer of Serenity LS - www.SerenityLS.com
Goldsmith23, Mining20, Archer16
I wear pink... that's what I do.

FFXI (Retired)
SMN75, BLM54, WHM40, BRD31, PLD25,
Cooking 100+2, Clothcraft 40
Sellius (MULE) Clothcraft 61, Leathercraft 20, Goldsmithing 12
#25 Nov 27 2010 at 1:22 PM Rating: Decent
**
284 posts
Correct. More flies with honey.
#26 Nov 27 2010 at 2:05 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
*
58 posts
MrStyles wrote:
Bertlit wrote:
I managed to find out that most of the players on servers other than Fabul, Lindblum, Besaid, or Palamecia do not like meeting new people. Therefore all servers not mention tend to have anti-social LS(s).

I recommend going to one of those 4, but check the forums on other sites too to see what LS(s) are still recruiting.



How did you come up with this assumption? Have you been to every server? By chance let's say for the sake of arguement that you visited every server. Were you on all day? How do you know if maybe at a different time other people log on who might be more friendly than the last? How do you know just one small group on a server that's anti-social means the whole server acts like they do. I hate when people assume that just because one or two bad experiences happened to them suddenly means that everyone on the server is bad, anti-social, etc.

You can't classify whole servers as anti-social because you would never be logged on enough to see everybody.


Well, I was on Besaid, Fabul, Lindblum, Palamecia, Rabanastre, and Saronia. Since I have a laid back college schedule, I was on from about 11am till 1am 5 days a week. I was on each server for about 2 weeks and got many jobs to rank 15+. Also I read the forums on Zam and Eorzeapedia to see what LS(s) are recruiting.

Those are the only one from reading the forums and playing on the ones I have that seem to be friendly. I am not talking about population during jp time since I am not really on when they are.

I am just throwing out my knowledge and you can choose to accept it or ignore it. But I do hope you find some LS to join and enjoy the time you play this game.
#27 Nov 27 2010 at 2:23 PM Rating: Decent
Edited by bsphil
******
21,739 posts
Tougher to toss out random pearls to people when it's so hard to kick people from the shell (since you have to be standing next to them to do it).

Edited, Nov 27th 2010 2:24pm by bsphil
____________________________
His Excellency Aethien wrote:
Almalieque wrote:
If no one debated with me, then I wouldn't post here anymore.
Take the hint guys, please take the hint.
gbaji wrote:
I'm not getting my news from anywhere Joph.
#28 Nov 27 2010 at 2:30 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
1,015 posts
Joscerelle wrote:
Sidicas wrote:
Zorvan wrote:

Haven't you heard? Apparently talking/shouting in regular chat is "rude". lol

Edit: Oh, unless you're offering to teleport people for 20k.:p

Edited, Nov 26th 2010 6:40pm by Zorvan


No, what's rude is shouting demands that other people do things for you. Fix all my stuff for barely any gil at the location that I'm at. Instead of shouting "(Cotton Tights) (Repair) (Can I have it?) Chocobo" you should phrase it as "(Cotton Tights) (Repair) (Can you do it?)" and then not be a lazy American and get off your **** and go to the place where the person who can repair it is, if you want that service. Often they're with their friends or with their linkshell group and they'd just say where they are and I'd go there. Don't forget to bow.


You can shout all you want with offers, and nobody (Japanese or English) cares. TBH, I've found Americans to be much less tolerant of "spam" than the Japanese. There was a guy on Besaid who went totally berserk on somebody shouting a bit too much with teleport offers.

If you want help from Japanese players, you can't be lazy.. That's probably the #1 rule right there.. Don't have them come to you, go to them. And don't cheapskate them on the repairs either. Yes, they'll probably do it for 1 gil to save face in front of their LS mates, but know how much the repair mats of your gear costs and price your repairs appropriately.


Am I the only one that was offended by this entire post? I'm American and many of my LS mates are American and none of these generalizations you've stated fit any of us.



Edited, Nov 27th 2010 11:53am by Joscerelle


Oh no, you weren't the only one offended. There's a reason that dude's been pushed into sub-default. ;)

As for the OP, I have to agree that the best thing is for you to play with the people on your server as much as possible. Start SP/Battleleve/Behest parties or join them, maybe pal around with the crafting junkies if while you're crafting, etc. That's a sure way to get you noticed by folks and really ups your chances of getting an invite to a shell. Wouldn't hurt to ask someone if they have any openings in their shell either after a good party-there's nothing that says it's rude to ask about someone's shell.

Checking the server forums is also a good way to see who's recruiting. Many linkshells run recruitment drives now and again.

And if you ever find yourself on Palamecia, check out the Old Timers Guild. We're a pretty good group of folks willing to take on new members who meet our criteria and take the time to visit our site at www.oldtimersguild.com.
____________________________
I've got a lovely bunch of coconuts...

Karma Troll, Karma Troll
Does whatever a Karma Troll does.
Can he swing, from a web?
No he can't, he's a troll.
Look out! Here comes the Karma Troll!
#29 Nov 27 2010 at 3:18 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
*
71 posts
I gave up, got my own shell, and talk to myself. At least it's a different color.
____________________________
We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful what we pretend to be.
Kurt Vonnegut
#30 Nov 27 2010 at 4:01 PM Rating: Default
***
1,608 posts
leomike35 wrote:
Correct. More flies with honey.


You lure flies to kill them amirite?
____________________________

#31 Nov 27 2010 at 4:38 PM Rating: Good
Edited by bsphil
******
21,739 posts
leomike35 wrote:
Correct. More flies with honey.
Except you attract more flies with vinegar than honey due to the acetic acid in vinegar.
____________________________
His Excellency Aethien wrote:
Almalieque wrote:
If no one debated with me, then I wouldn't post here anymore.
Take the hint guys, please take the hint.
gbaji wrote:
I'm not getting my news from anywhere Joph.
#32 Nov 28 2010 at 8:11 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
685 posts
As an LS leader on Besaid I don't hand out pearls randomly in game. Really, we want you to sign up on our forum before you get a pearl. By signing up on the forum, you are able to see the few rules we do have and ensures us that you really want to be part of the community.
____________________________

Crafter Consortium Craftsman/Gatherers Linkshell
#33 Nov 28 2010 at 8:35 AM Rating: Default
Scholar
*
148 posts
Joscerelle wrote:
Sidicas wrote:
Zorvan wrote:

Haven't you heard? Apparently talking/shouting in regular chat is "rude". lol

Edit: Oh, unless you're offering to teleport people for 20k.:p

Edited, Nov 26th 2010 6:40pm by Zorvan


No, what's rude is shouting demands that other people do things for you. Fix all my stuff for barely any gil at the location that I'm at. Instead of shouting "(Cotton Tights) (Repair) (Can I have it?) Chocobo" you should phrase it as "(Cotton Tights) (Repair) (Can you do it?)" and then not be a lazy American and get off your **** and go to the place where the person who can repair it is, if you want that service. Often they're with their friends or with their linkshell group and they'd just say where they are and I'd go there. Don't forget to bow.


You can shout all you want with offers, and nobody (Japanese or English) cares. TBH, I've found Americans to be much less tolerant of "spam" than the Japanese. There was a guy on Besaid who went totally berserk on somebody shouting a bit too much with teleport offers.

If you want help from Japanese players, you can't be lazy.. That's probably the #1 rule right there.. Don't have them come to you, go to them. And don't cheapskate them on the repairs either. Yes, they'll probably do it for 1 gil to save face in front of their LS mates, but know how much the repair mats of your gear costs and price your repairs appropriately.


Am I the only one that was offended by this entire post? I'm American and many of my LS mates are American and none of these generalizations you've stated fit any of us.

Guess what? I'm an American too. Lived in New York my entire life. My point is more along the lines of how horribly cultural insensitive we are (as Americans). They can see the exact same situation and think completely different about it because they come from a different cultural background where showing respect and saving face is everything. We as Americans, do not generally have such strong cultural influences that rule over every bit of our behavior.

I'm sorry a lot of people found my post to be offensive, but as somebody who's studied Japanese culture for years, I still believe it is quite accurate that a lot of players walk all over Japanese players without a care in the world, or worse, without even realizing it. And then they'll come and complain about why those Japanese players don't want to play with them.

The reality is, that it is a tongue-in-cheek stereotype that most Japanese have that Americans are lazy.. Simply because Americans don't go to school or work on the weekends. It was more of a joke, but I suppose if you weren't aware of the common Japanese stereotype on Americans, you wouldn't have gotten it.






#34 Nov 28 2010 at 9:13 AM Rating: Decent
*
227 posts
Gadhelyn wrote:
As an LS leader on Besaid I don't hand out pearls randomly in game. Really, we want you to sign up on our forum before you get a pearl. By signing up on the forum, you are able to see the few rules we do have and ensures us that you really want to be part of the community.



For me and this is just me... I really don't like having to sign up on forums to be part of a LS. I have done it... once but will not do it any more and the only reason I did, was because it seems most of the LS require it. And to be honest, I signed up on it and rarely log into it, maybe once a week, if that. I really don't need another forum to be on when ZAM is enough... maybe Zam could make LS Forums. -shrugs-
____________________________
Remember: Some Times the Dragon Wins.



#35 Nov 28 2010 at 12:40 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
**
685 posts
The reason for it is because we have a few common decency rules that we do enforce, not to mention linkshell announcements, and if you aren't on the forum then you aren't going to see them.
____________________________

Crafter Consortium Craftsman/Gatherers Linkshell
#36 Nov 30 2010 at 2:08 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
1,536 posts
So its kind of funny, this is day 6 for me (I think) and every day i ask for a pearl and still no go. I think there is no population in Gyshal, atleast not in Limsa, especially considering that there is about 2 or 3 people standing at the adventurer's guild...anyone on Gyshal wanna pearl me by any chance?

EDIT: I honestly think its just me and some RMT playing on Gyshal now :S

Edited, Nov 30th 2010 3:14pm by SolidMack
____________________________
MUTED
#37 Nov 30 2010 at 2:58 PM Rating: Good
**
291 posts
Your entire server forum is Looking for Linkshell posts....why don't you start one and invite some of the other people?
____________________________

#38 Nov 30 2010 at 3:13 PM Rating: Decent
*
174 posts
MaverickBG wrote:
I know our LS doesn't pearl random passerbys... A lot of us know each other from FF11, other games and RL...

I can imagine the game would be frustrating without anyone to talk with.. I suggest trying to get into xp parties, and if you do well and are nice to people.. they may want to see you more regularly... Most people just don't toss out a pearl randomly... at least from what I can tell?


Quoted for truth. This is exactly how our Linkshell works, we have a website and application process.
____________________________


#39 Nov 30 2010 at 3:17 PM Rating: Decent
*
141 posts
ehh all i can say it's individual thing from sever to server i think... I've started on Wutai from the start and i never have any problems with getting LS'es or people on Social List, i have peeps with i can play, and i have about 8 Linkshells now xD with 3-4 mid (about 30-46 persons) and big ones (around 112 people i think) but that's just mine experience. I really hope you find some nice people quiet fast ^^ <Take Care!>

Edited, Nov 30th 2010 4:18pm by EmiyaShirou
#40 Nov 30 2010 at 3:22 PM Rating: Good
*
116 posts
SolidMack wrote:
... this is day 6 for me (I think) and every day i ask for a pearl and still no go...


Six days... really? I play on Lindblum and just the other night received my first pearl. I've been playing since Open Beta, joined my server at CE launch and have never re-rolled. I asked to join a LS during almost every fun party I happened into; XP, Leve, Behest, whatever, and was never offered a pearl.

So, fed up with playing this game solo, I following up on a post in the ZAM sever forums and was lucky enough to find a group of awesome people. (Serenity, ftw!)
OP, I understand your frustration. It is a totally different game with that chat log rolling full of witty banter. As a previous poster stated, starting your own LS might be an excellent option for you.
____________________________
FFXIV :: Valdai Devarda \ Lindblum Sargatanas "The Thread Closer"
.............................................................................................................
#41 Nov 30 2010 at 3:23 PM Rating: Good
****
9,526 posts
Lots of Zammers in the Kraken Club. We are pretty open about inviting folks. I can't speak for your server but Rab is pretty fab. I've got three LS and each was offered to me.
____________________________
lolgaxe wrote:
When it comes to sitting around not doing anything for long periods of time, only being active for short windows, and marginal changes and sidegrades I'd say FFXI players were the perfect choice for politicians.


#42 Nov 30 2010 at 3:59 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
1,536 posts
Validai wrote:
SolidMack wrote:
... this is day 6 for me (I think) and every day i ask for a pearl and still no go...


Six days... really? I play on Lindblum and just the other night received my first pearl. I've been playing since Open Beta, joined my server at CE launch and have never re-rolled. I asked to join a LS during almost every fun party I happened into; XP, Leve, Behest, whatever, and was never offered a pearl.

So, fed up with playing this game solo, I following up on a post in the ZAM sever forums and was lucky enough to find a group of awesome people. (Serenity, ftw!)
OP, I understand your frustration. It is a totally different game with that chat log rolling full of witty banter. As a previous poster stated, starting your own LS might be an excellent option for you.


Wow you're clearly worse off than me lol...well if you do re-roll and come to Gyshal I think I can pearl you now, I finally found some nice people who actually like to socialize on the server and got myself a pearl. As for people talking about aps, its a drawn out process very unnecessary in a game this new and a game with this small a population.
____________________________
MUTED
#43 Dec 01 2010 at 3:09 PM Rating: Good
Sage
**
551 posts
MisterGaribaldi wrote:
MaverickBG wrote:
I know our LS doesn't pearl random passerbys... A lot of us know each other from FF11, other games and RL...

I can imagine the game would be frustrating without anyone to talk with.. I suggest trying to get into xp parties, and if you do well and are nice to people.. they may want to see you more regularly... Most people just don't toss out a pearl randomly... at least from what I can tell?


Quoted for truth. This is exactly how our Linkshell works, we have a website and application process.


I always find this stuff hilarious.

I filled out an app for a bank loan.

I filled out an app for a job.

I filled out an app for my health insurance.

Unless you're providing lower interest rates, good paying steady employment, or a low deductible medical plan, you have absolutely nothing worth filling out an application and hoping to get in. It's a game, not a real life necessity. Maybe the players ought to learn that little fact right along with SE, the game might get somewhere eventually.

Edited, Dec 1st 2010 4:10pm by Zorvan
____________________________



#44 Dec 01 2010 at 3:24 PM Rating: Excellent
*
165 posts
I dunno Zorvan, I sort of disagree.

If a website wants me to fill out three pages of application, just like a car loan, then yeah, I'm moving on. I'm not that interested in whatever awesome they got going on.

But I don't see a problem with answering three or four pertinent questions on a website or forum before joining a guild/linkshell/supergroup/clan/whathaveyou because I'm sure they want some grasp of my personality first just like I wanna know what I'm getting into before I commit. I sort of treat it like filling in an eHarmony app - I wanna find me a date who also likes long walks on the beach and cheap junk food.

I don't mind being serious for five minutes out of my day to answer "What games have you played?" or "What do you enjoy doing in MMOs?" If all their questions are about how 133t my skilz are at endgame, I know I'm in the wrong place. Apps work both ways, to my way of thinking.

And if I'm teaming with somebody who's awesome and asks if I wanna be pearled into their club so we can continue the conversation later, I'm all for that too.

Edited, Dec 1st 2010 4:25pm by jadyness
#45 Dec 01 2010 at 3:44 PM Rating: Excellent
***
2,261 posts
Zorvan wrote:
I always find this stuff hilarious.

I filled out an app for a bank loan.

I filled out an app for a job.

I filled out an app for my health insurance.

Unless you're providing lower interest rates, good paying steady employment, or a low deductible medical plan, you have absolutely nothing worth filling out an application and hoping to get in. It's a game, not a real life necessity. Maybe the players ought to learn that little fact right along with SE, the game might get somewhere eventually.


I want to know who I'm playing with. I want the people I'm playing with to know me. I want to play with people who care. All of these things can be handled with an application. It helps limit access to your LS to only people you actually want to play with. Until I know anything about someone, they are just another name on the server.
#46 Dec 01 2010 at 3:58 PM Rating: Excellent
*****
11,539 posts
JaduFenrir wrote:
Zorvan wrote:
I always find this stuff hilarious.

I filled out an app for a bank loan.

I filled out an app for a job.

I filled out an app for my health insurance.

Unless you're providing lower interest rates, good paying steady employment, or a low deductible medical plan, you have absolutely nothing worth filling out an application and hoping to get in. It's a game, not a real life necessity. Maybe the players ought to learn that little fact right along with SE, the game might get somewhere eventually.


I want to know who I'm playing with. I want the people I'm playing with to know me. I want to play with people who care. All of these things can be handled with an application. It helps limit access to your LS to only people you actually want to play with. Until I know anything about someone, they are just another name on the server.


It also limits access to your LS to people that want to be in your LS. If someone can't be bothered to spend 5 minutes posting "My character's name is X, my favorite classes are A, B, C, and my other MMORPG experience includes blah." then maybe they won't fit in well with your group at all. Which is fine, I'm sure other linkshells would be interested.

I don't think a social LS needs an application process, but if you don't want to fill out an application then you're pretty much telling them you don't want to be a member of their shell. Whereas most social shells have a policy of "You're welcome until you make yourself unwelcome", I don't see a huge problem with a shell wanting people who will be welcome company, especially considering that if you ever had to boot someone from your shell in FFXIV, you're going to have to chase them down somewhere in the world and get within party invite distance of them before the game will let you remove them from your LS. Putting up an application to filter people out who aren't serious about joining seems a small price to pay when you consider that.
____________________________
[ffxisig]55836[/ffxisig]

Mikhalia: and FWIW, my posts are 95% helpful, informative, or funny.
Mikhalia: only 5% or less of my posts are utter crap.
Tyapex: 393 posts of utter crap...
Mikhalia: Sounds about right.
#47 Dec 01 2010 at 4:40 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
32 posts
I believe one of the reasons social shells in XIV are more likely to have an application process than other MMOs is the difficulty in LS management. I founded a shell on Fabul, and we practice the rep based recruitment strategy. We won't just take strangers, because for all we know the reason someone is shouting for a shell is because they got kicked from 4 shells already. In order to recruit, promote, or remove someone from a shell you have to manually target them. That makes LS management enough of a hassle to make sure you know who you are inviting before you get someone spamming the LS chat with obscenities.
#48 Dec 01 2010 at 7:31 PM Rating: Good
10 posts
Hey Kiial, I replied to your other post in the Gysahl forum, did you try searching for our LS?

Our LS (Shen an Calhar) is mostly full of GMT+8 - GMT+11 players (Australia, Asia), although there are some from the States.

The crest is three vertical stripes - red, white, red.

We don't have an application process, but fortunately everyone in the LS has been fairly generous and friendly. No egos or clique behaviour. Always looking for new English-speaking players.

Look out for us, or I'll try to track you down, your name was difficult to remember/spell.
#49 Dec 01 2010 at 7:35 PM Rating: Decent
****
6,898 posts
SolidMack wrote:
Everyone's just good at talking about "no community" but when it comes down to it no one even makes a $%#@in effort. I've been on Gyshal for 3 days now asking for a link pearl, just shouting in town or asking some passersby and no one has offered me one. Why the **** not? Its frustrating as is doing anything solo and boring to be honest, I just want a pearl to get to know some people and maybe party up with someone and no one is willing to help....and why the **** did SE not add a party seek function yet or at least make it so under "purpose" in the recruitment window, one of the options is "experience party".


Perhaps if you hadn't bailed on your shell on Kashuan you wouldn't be in this predicament... not trying to be a jerk, just really baffled by it tbh...
____________________________
Bartel Hayward--- Ultros Server
The Kraken Club <ZAM>
50 WAR • 50 MNK • 50 MIN • 50 GSM • 50 ARM • 50 LTW • 50 CUL • 50 WVR
thekrakenclub.shivtr.com
#50 Dec 01 2010 at 7:37 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
322 posts
Zorvan wrote:
MisterGaribaldi wrote:
MaverickBG wrote:
I know our LS doesn't pearl random passerbys... A lot of us know each other from FF11, other games and RL...

I can imagine the game would be frustrating without anyone to talk with.. I suggest trying to get into xp parties, and if you do well and are nice to people.. they may want to see you more regularly... Most people just don't toss out a pearl randomly... at least from what I can tell?


Quoted for truth. This is exactly how our Linkshell works, we have a website and application process.


I always find this stuff hilarious.

I filled out an app for a bank loan.

I filled out an app for a job.

I filled out an app for my health insurance.

Unless you're providing lower interest rates, good paying steady employment, or a low deductible medical plan, you have absolutely nothing worth filling out an application and hoping to get in. It's a game, not a real life necessity. Maybe the players ought to learn that little fact right along with SE, the game might get somewhere eventually.

Edited, Dec 1st 2010 4:10pm by Zorvan


People have applications for their guilds to filter out undesirables. The same thing happens everywhere. Most guilds will let you in and give you a chance and if you cause trouble, expel you. Applying is nothing but a formality. The only guilds who take the application seriously are those who take the game seriously, and who are you to tell them they can't do otherwise.
____________________________


This forum is read only
This Forum is Read Only!
Recent Visitors: 18 All times are in CST
Anonymous Guests (18)