Forum Settings
       
« Previous 1 2
This Forum is Read Only

Are people back?Follow

#1 Nov 27 2010 at 1:38 AM Rating: Good
So, did the patch bring people back? Or are your shells and friends list still as empty as before? It seems there was definitely more activity within the aetheryte camps tonight, but my 4 LS' still had no one in them cept for a few players, and none of my friend have bothered to log on.

The patch was definitely great overall, the game in terms of UI and such is finally running as it should have retail wise. So hopefully people come back and try it out, cause it's getting really sad constantly having to find new shells cause 30+ people ones just up and die.
____________________________

#2 Nov 27 2010 at 2:00 AM Rating: Good
*
105 posts
I'm personally waiting until around the time of PS3 release. It was either keep going, or just take a step back and see what they do by then. I'll have a new batch of players to group with, hopefully, by then.

Good start, but, I will wait until it's fun to me.
#3 Nov 27 2010 at 2:06 AM Rating: Good
Sage
***
1,675 posts
I guess we can't find out "hard" numbers anymore now that they're gone...but, Aetheryte camps seem more busy.

This patch might have brought back a few players, and maybe even attract a few new ones.

BUT SE needs to retain these players. Hopefully the December patch will do that, and I hope there's some more fixes/updates before the PS3 release.
#4 Nov 27 2010 at 2:32 AM Rating: Good
**
353 posts
The patch came out on thanksgiving day and then black friday so I dont expect many ppl back yet. Check next week after the weekend is over.
#5 Nov 27 2010 at 3:06 AM Rating: Decent
*
169 posts
even if ppl are back, i dont think they ll stay for long either. The patch do idd make the UI faster and some adjust but the "thing" you do daily is still dejavu, nothing change, nothing new to do but do repeat the rotation again and again. So ppl might come back to check (it still free atm) but they either wont stay for long or will contineus to wait until something fun avaiable and new thing to do.

ps: not to mention the game turn out to be solo mmo now since the group pt SP ***** up
#6 Nov 27 2010 at 3:11 AM Rating: Excellent
Sage
***
1,246 posts
I logged on just to see the UI and stuff, but I wont be back properly until after December, purely because of FFXI's update.
____________________________
Meowth!
#7 Nov 27 2010 at 4:26 AM Rating: Decent
***
3,416 posts
March seems like a much better time to come back really. Maybe even later, but I guess the subs need to start growing in March so I'll probably at least subscribe at that point to keep the updates coming if nothing else.
____________________________
SE:
Quote:
We really want to compete against World of Warcraft and for example the new Star Wars MMO.

#8 Nov 27 2010 at 5:35 AM Rating: Decent
***
1,408 posts
crushgroove wrote:
I'm personally waiting until around the time of PS3 release. It was either keep going, or just take a step back and see what they do by then. I'll have a new batch of players to group with, hopefully, by then.

Good start, but, I will wait until it's fun to me.



Yeah same here, I upgraded my PC and I cant be bothered to get a new processor/motherboard and go through all that so waiting till PS3.

I will occasionally come on but PC is alright in the quiet areas.
____________________________


If my velocity starts to make you sweat, then just don't
let go
#9 Nov 27 2010 at 6:11 AM Rating: Good
Avatar
**
531 posts
For my linkshell, it's still barer than I would like it to be, but as for activity in the camps there seems to be more. I have a feeling the December update will bring more since it will introduce more content(ex.addition of NMs) that people might like.
____________________________






#10 Nov 27 2010 at 7:46 AM Rating: Decent
*
158 posts
This term's almost over (two more weeks, I think!)

After that, I'm playing Cataclysm. I'll check back in on FFXIV in March, if it's even still alive by then. I'm not saying I want the game to fail, but apparently a decade of ineptitude of S-E has finally caught up with them. It's a shame, too. I enjoyed a lot of the time I dumped into FFXI, but I'm wary of doing the same on FFXIV, since it's likely that the development of this MMO is going to be downsized dramatically when the PS3 version fails to take off.

You only really get one chance at an MMO launch. I suspect they'll try to push out an xbox version within a year to try to recoup the the development costs. I'm not expecting much of a future for FFXIV.
#11 Nov 27 2010 at 8:38 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
*
107 posts
Heard from a friend that the update did a few things well (like UI) but there still really isn't a reason to log in (content). Thus, I still have it installed but haven't bothered to log in.

Still hovering around these forums every few days, so I obviously still care for the game on some level. However, I truly believe you only get ONE chance with MMO launches (regardless of the PS3 version). I don't think 90% of those who left will come back.

I'm going to pick up Cataclysm for the time being.
#12 Nov 27 2010 at 9:03 AM Rating: Default
*
53 posts
Nutchoss wrote:
Heard from a friend that the update did a few things well (like UI) but there still really isn't a reason to log in (content). Thus, I still have it installed but haven't bothered to log in.

Still hovering around these forums every few days, so I obviously still care for the game on some level. However, I truly believe you only get ONE chance with MMO launches (regardless of the PS3 version). I don't think 90% of those who left will come back.

I'm going to pick up Cataclysm for the time being.


Good call
I personally don't like wow at all but at least it have content to play, in FFXIV it's not a matter of like or dislike there is just no content at all so i don't expect people to return anytime soon even if everything was fixed plus SP gain got ruined now that people can not even rank up unless they grind forever above Rank25

Edited, Nov 27th 2010 10:03am by SephNex
#13 Nov 27 2010 at 9:28 AM Rating: Excellent
**
305 posts
I re-upped to try out the new patch. It is a nice step in the right direction but i still feel that the game lacks something to draw me in.

I will be checking out the dec patch though, i am hopeful for that.
____________________________


#14 Nov 27 2010 at 9:32 AM Rating: Excellent
I've noticed a considerable bump in online population in the past few days on Trabia. A week ago I was crafting pretty much alone in the Leatherworkers guild and the past few nights it's been jam-packed around the place. I'll have to see what this weekend brings but it definitely seems to have improved. I imagine when populations originally dipped, people just didn't log on and played some other games til the updates were slated to arrive. My girlfriend is still holding out for the Dec. update before I can con her into logging back onto her character.
____________________________
#15 Nov 27 2010 at 10:33 AM Rating: Good
***
3,177 posts
It seems that most players are waiting for the game to have a solid amount of content before they're wanting to commit.

As for Figaro server, there seems to be a lot of activity going on. Considerably more than pre-patch, but they took off the ability to see the hard numbers of the amount of people online, so it's hard to judge.
____________________________
Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn
Grover Eyeveen - Hyperion Server
Viva Eorzea Free Company/Linkshell Leader - Hyperion Server

Aegis Server (2012-2013)
Figaro Server (2010-2012)

Final Fantasy XI:
Retired

Blog
#16 Nov 27 2010 at 11:03 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
364 posts
Just to point out the obvious, Aetheryte camps are crowded because leves are the only well known way to gain reasonable SP post-patch. In case anyone missed the memo, old grind party tactics yield worthless SP now, and leves offer (a little) more variety than solo grinding for hours on end as well as gil rewards (albeit reduced).

Edited, Nov 27th 2010 12:07pm by Furia
#17 Nov 27 2010 at 11:35 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
*
106 posts
All 30 of my FFXI linkshell that made a ls on FFXIV weren't logged in on FFXIV yesterday when I patched. Still not enough content to make people want to play.
#18 Nov 27 2010 at 11:58 AM Rating: Excellent
38 posts
Alot of people are on vacation still, me and my 2 bros that play won't be back til Monday. I am sure a lot of people are in the same predicament.
#19 Nov 27 2010 at 12:06 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
**
991 posts
quite a few people in my shell returned this week

some of the people out there didnt really "quit" some were just taking a break until this patch and are now back with the changes in it

and some, will be back in december


and others, who truely quit, will never be back, but that is normal too
____________________________


#20 Nov 27 2010 at 12:45 PM Rating: Good
**
723 posts
I hadn't played since about early October, but I played a couple days this weekend to try out the new patch. It's a step in the right direction, but the game has become nothing but a long boring grind to level up past 20. I have faith SE will fix that in time, but as the game stands I probably won't continue playing. I will see what the December patch brings and make my decision then. I feel like the November patch is what the game should have been like at launch, and I applaud SE for giving multiple free months realizing the game was not what it should have been.

The game in its present state is playable, but dull. So yeah, we'll see what content the December update brings. Personally though, this game will never match FFXI in excitement until some sort of death penalty is in place. I really don't see SE implementing one though because it likely won't go over well with the already disappointed player base, even if deep down they know it makes the game more exciting.

For FFXI players out there, no one liked losing XP and certainly leveling down, but think about how exciting all of your encounters were thanks to it. Whether you were duoing or soloing a tough NM with a friend, dealing with links and aggro, BCNMs, HNMs, etc. Death penalties make what you're doing exciting and more rewarding when you succeed.
#21 Nov 27 2010 at 12:53 PM Rating: Excellent
Scholar
**
386 posts
Quote:
The game in its present state is playable, but dull. So yeah, we'll see what content the December update brings. Personally though, this game will never match FFXI in excitement until some sort of death penalty is in place. I really don't see SE implementing one though because it likely won't go over well with the already disappointed player base, even if deep down they know it makes the game more exciting.

For FFXI players out there, no one liked losing XP and certainly leveling down, but think about how exciting all of your encounters were thanks to it. Whether you were duoing or soloing a tough NM with a friend, dealing with links and aggro, BCNMs, HNMs, etc. Death penalties make what you're doing exciting and more rewarding when you succeed.


I would have to respectfully disagree with this sentiment about death penalties. Not about whether or not this game should have them, but that they gave FFXI some level of excitement. Perhaps I'm simply thinking from an endgame perspective, but back when I used to play (before more cap increases), after about level 70 it didn't really seem to matter. My linkshell would party often and party very well easily keeping buffer at level 75 and probably wouldn't bat an eye if they died for whatever reason.

When in a BCNM, fighting an HNM, doing Dynamis, etc., loosing a little exp isn't what kept us going. It was knowing that if everyone wipes you just wasted a whole lot of time. At least that's the way I see it.
#22 Nov 27 2010 at 1:01 PM Rating: Good
*
189 posts
I loved the death penalty, I remember how scared I used to get in different zones or when sneak was about to wear off. Now if im not sure if a mob aggros i run up to it and see, most times i can run away and if its really strong it kills me...oh well.
____________________________
FFXI Alexandar 51 SUM
Ramuh 50 SUM 53 THF
WoW Malygos 80MAG 60 WLK
The forgtn cst 80 MAG 73 WLK

http://lodestone.finalfantasyxiv.com/rc/character/status?cicuid=2494669
Retainer: Weaponsandshields
#23 Nov 27 2010 at 1:14 PM Rating: Decent
*
89 posts
I've logged in to check the update. It was pretty good - UI looks more like a retail game and SP gain now is like exp (while separate them?). Still cannot play this game - twitchy combat, no AH, crazy durability system and same retarded levequests (oh look, dodos turned into ladybugs, it's a magic adventure!) in stead of real content. The game crashed after 5 minutes and I had no desire to log back. I guess this update is a huge deal for people who had been still playing but I cannot see it bringing back people who quit the (free!) game.
#24 Nov 27 2010 at 1:42 PM Rating: Good
**
284 posts
Ive been out of town for the holiday and got back in time to install update on Friday night and played about 30 mins. Got my free lvl on weaver and did the new botanist lvl 20 leves to ding 18.

I like the UI it was so fast that it shocked me. Also I enjoy the tweaks to gathering with the "you sense there are yew logs below where you are logging" stuff. I only killed a couple of mobs on my 22 mar and the sp was 67 while exp was 155 wish that was reversed lol.

I never left and the game honestly is exciting again for me until I R0 while crafting again ><

Im still gonna play it and pay for it whenever SE decides to charge. I also like the fact that some lower lvl local leves offer guild marks. If the sp gain issue didnt exist I would have 0 complaints.
#25 Nov 27 2010 at 2:27 PM Rating: Default
*
84 posts
FINAL WORD: No. It has actually driven off some of the veterans. The SP gain in parties is bugged and made of epic fail, so there is no incentive to party anymore, and solo XP outside of GuildLeves is very very VERY grindy. Coblyns and Doblyns are your best bet.

So yeah, Square Enix healed one leg, but breaks the other.
#26 Nov 27 2010 at 2:40 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
**
523 posts
YOUR FINAL WORD, is not everyone elses.

Thanks for your FINAL OPINION.

To me it looks like a lot more players are leveling lower ranked jobs now.
#27 Nov 27 2010 at 5:20 PM Rating: Excellent
***
2,120 posts
Things were getting pretty heated in the days before the update wondering which way the SP changes would go and how far. Now you have lots of people happy, who weren't so happy before...and also others who would go as far as calling the game worse AFTER the patch. Mainly because of that total flip-flop on the SP system.(Coblyns went from great farming/awful SP to heavily camped and facing extinction)

Pretty much how it is in my LS. Some people came back since the update. Many thrilled about the changes, others aren't pleased at all. Some haven't come back and may never think twice about it. I can't speak for everyone, but for some(perhaps many) I don't think this update secured that they'll be willing to pay monthly fees. We'll see if the December update comes on time and gives people more to consider regarding that.
____________________________

#28 Nov 27 2010 at 5:31 PM Rating: Default
13 posts
DoctorMog wrote:
YOUR FINAL WORD, is not everyone elses.

Thanks for your FINAL OPINION.

To me it looks like a lot more players are leveling lower ranked jobs now.


That's exactly what's going on.
____________________________

#29 Nov 27 2010 at 5:32 PM Rating: Decent
***
3,178 posts
Good post Owl. That seems to be the case in a nutshell.

We have seen a lot of rare players on this weekend. And the Aetheryte Camps are full of more people than I've seen in a while. Even able to do some Behest with pick-ups - that's a good sign to me. I hope that kind of activity remains high even after holiday weekend is over.

In a lot of ways, the new SP system makes FFXIV feel like a new game.
#30 Nov 27 2010 at 5:40 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
322 posts
Right now SP is too low post 20, at level 19 you get 200-250 a mob then at 20 it sharply drops to 80-90 solo.

Also, Leves are way too unbalanced and finnicky to do in parties right now, even for the extra SP. You're best off doing those solo too.

I'll be logging on to do leves at least until the patch gets released, but they better make some kind of announcement about their plans before Cataclysm launches.
____________________________


#31 Nov 27 2010 at 5:44 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
**
691 posts
Well, the game is actually fun in small doses now as opposed to not being fun at all, so yeah, there's bound to be an increase in active players.
#32 Nov 27 2010 at 6:02 PM Rating: Decent
**
376 posts
i dont understand this "no content" stuff, content is usually end-game, and why would they waste time implementing end-game when there is barely anyone high enough to do it. all games start out as level level level and then they release bosses and the works.

someone actually said "well ff11 you grind up to 10, then you experience groups, and it took a while but then you could go to the next area and group!" and said there was loads more content than just leveling in ff14, i dont see the difference.

now when SE releases content, people will come back or start the game and have to grind anyways because they waited. i'll agree that if someone gets to 50 and leave temporarily until endgame is released, i get that. but to quit at level 10 because there's nothing to do at level 50 is just dumb

edit:: i will admit its rather silly we can level from start to finish in 1 area if we chose

Edited, Nov 27th 2010 7:08pm by AsashinoTsuki
____________________________


#33 Nov 27 2010 at 6:09 PM Rating: Excellent
**
305 posts
AsashinoTsuki wrote:
i dont understand this "no content" stuff, content is usually end-game, and why would they waste time implementing end-game when there is barely anyone high enough to do it. all games start out as level level level and then they release bosses and the works.

someone actually said "well ff11 you grind up to 10, then you experience groups, and it took a while but then you could go to the next area and group!" and said there was loads more content than just leveling in ff14, i dont see the difference.

now when SE releases content, people will come back or start the game and have to grind anyways because they waited. i'll agree that if someone gets to 50 and leave temporarily until endgame is released, i get that. but to quit at level 10 because there's nothing to do at level 50 is just dumb


Content is not restricted to endgame only. Infact, most mmo's don't have much for endgame content when they launch for the reasons you said. However most mmo's have content for the leveling experience. More then likely, that is what people are talking about in regards to a lack of content.
____________________________


#34 Nov 27 2010 at 6:10 PM Rating: Good
26 posts
See FFXI Eco-Warrior for low level players.

Sadly I think that World of Warcraft: Cataclysm will put the last nail in the coffin of this game combining that with having to pay for the game.

Edited, Nov 27th 2010 7:12pm by Hmmmx
#35 Nov 27 2010 at 6:20 PM Rating: Good
**
451 posts
AsashinoTsuki wrote:
i dont understand this "no content" stuff, content is usually end-game, and why would they waste time implementing end-game when there is barely anyone high enough to do it. all games start out as level level level and then they release bosses and the works.

someone actually said "well ff11 you grind up to 10, then you experience groups, and it took a while but then you could go to the next area and group!" and said there was loads more content than just leveling in ff14, i dont see the difference.

now when SE releases content, people will come back or start the game and have to grind anyways because they waited. i'll agree that if someone gets to 50 and leave temporarily until endgame is released, i get that. but to quit at level 10 because there's nothing to do at level 50 is just dumb

edit:: i will admit its rather silly we can level from start to finish in 1 area if we chose

Edited, Nov 27th 2010 7:08pm by AsashinoTsuki


I don't think most of us that played FFXI for several years ever had a problem with the lack of content in the game, or the grind to 50. I think it's pretty much what we expected. I really wouldn't care if it took the better part of a year to max level.

With that said, alot of people that did play FFXI, myself included, left the game eventually for greener pastures. And we played other MMO's that have things to do while you level, other than just beat on mobs forever. Example, World of Warcraft takes about a day or so to get to level 15-ish if you are a casual player, then you are running dungeons. In DDO you are running dungeons at level 1(dungeons are the only thing you do in that game :/ ).

So I am assuming when people complain about a lack of content, it's low level content they are talking about.

*edit*
yes I realize Leves and behest and that kind of thing are content, but all the battlecraft leves are basically the same one quest re-wrapped in another skin over and over.

Edited, Nov 27th 2010 7:23pm by KristoFurwalken
#36 Nov 27 2010 at 6:20 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
1,842 posts
Quote:
Veterans
This made me laugh alittle. I don't think anyone can call themselves veteran so earlier in the game. As for the SP system it self, if I remember right it's the response to the lack of content. Instead of lowering the rank to start class quest they made it quicker to get to 20. This is flawed of course because it just means players burn through everything quicker and it'll have to be fixed come next update.

Why not just add class quest for level 1 (introduction to the class that rewards weathered weapon), level 10 (quest that rewards first trait), and then the level 20 that adds guildmarks.

As for the SP keep the current static model, lower amount given for solo (seriously I made 1-10 in less than 30mins), and maybe add SP chain bonus. I hate to say it but maybe FFXI had something right when XP = Mobs con level. It was a given most IT gave 200 while EP was 30-60. You shouldn't get more SP off EP than you would on a T or IT.

____________________________
FFXIV Dyvid (Awaiting 2.0)
FFXI Dyvid ~ Pandemonium (Retired)
SWTOR Dy'vid Legacy - Canderous Ordo
#37 Nov 27 2010 at 6:21 PM Rating: Decent
**
376 posts
KacesofCaitsith wrote:

Content is not restricted to endgame only. Infact, most mmo's don't have much for endgame content when they launch for the reasons you said. However most mmo's have content for the leveling experience. More then likely, that is what people are talking about in regards to a lack of content.


Like what? ff11 was all grind, after 10 hours of LFG which made some of our first lv.75's take over a year, WOW is run all the way across the map to pick up a bunch of quest, then find 10 of "these" kill 8 of "this" and find 15 of "those" on the ground.

Everquest was alot of grind, but there was alot of travel.

(not counting endgame of course, which for every game but ff11 was raid raid raid 4 times a week)

the only thing these games had to break up the monotony of leveling, was crafting or gathering, exactly what this game has now.

then people leave this game from lack of content, to go back to their "content" which are wow raids and ff11 abyssea, thats it.

i agree that there isnt alot to do right now, but im going to be ready when there is

Edited, Nov 27th 2010 7:25pm by AsashinoTsuki
____________________________


#38 Nov 27 2010 at 6:31 PM Rating: Decent
**
451 posts
AsashinoTsuki wrote:


the only thing these games had to break up the monotony of leveling, was crafting or gathering, exactly what this game has now.



PvP breaks up the monotony. And Dungeons.

As far as the idea of being ahead of everyone else when they come crawling back in a year or so. Well, when they do come back I reckon it will take them about a quarter of the time it took the rest of us to max level and within a month they will be running end-game stuff right along side those that stuck it out from day 1.
#39 Nov 27 2010 at 6:32 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
*
65 posts
I am still waiting was suppose to buy a new computer. Then try the game out the longer it takes for the game to pick up the longer it will take for me to get into it. From all that i have read about this game content seem to be what's missing, and lets face it for those that played ffxi you needed a driving force, AF, summons ws dynamis or that fancy spell you wanted. FFxiv does not seem to have any drive and i think that's its big down fall. So i will wait for dec and see if i will join the folds of ffxiv or finally get my new computer for other more important things
#40 Nov 27 2010 at 6:39 PM Rating: Default
**
376 posts
lacesus wrote:
I am still waiting was suppose to buy a new computer. Then try the game out the longer it takes for the game to pick up the longer it will take for me to get into it. From all that i have read about this game content seem to be what's missing, and lets face it for those that played ffxi you needed a driving force, AF, summons ws dynamis or that fancy spell you wanted. FFxiv does not seem to have any drive and i think that's its big down fall. So i will wait for dec and see if i will join the folds of ffxiv or finally get my new computer for other more important things


none of that stuff was available until the first expansion. the US launch came with RotZ, but it was still successful beforehand.

I consider this open beta part 2, by PS3 release the content will be there. The game was obviously rushed.

Edited, Nov 27th 2010 7:41pm by AsashinoTsuki
____________________________


#41 Nov 27 2010 at 6:40 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
***
1,842 posts
Content: The amount of detail in a game.

First I want to say MMORPG aren't a race to the end. If it was you would do nothing in them but kill monster for xp. No craft, no items, no quest. It's about RPG is all about advancement. Both FFXI and WoW had an abundance of content because if it didn't people wouldn't play, period.

Everytime a player levels they unlock new skills, talent trees, zones, mounts, items, quest.
FFXI is the example I'll use because it's an SE game. When you dinged 10 you moved to a new area and started learning about party play, 20 you hit jeuno, the central hub of Vana'diel and unlock chocobos, 30 you unlock advance jobs, 50 you start your AF quest, 75 you start end-game. All through yout you had the missions that progressed with level ranges from 1-75, Sandy, Windy, Bastok, Zilart, CoP, ToAU, and Wings. You also had random NPC CS quest. SE also added garrison (20-75), eco warrior (20), Assualt (50+), Besieged (60-75).

That is content, doing dailies (guildleve) and an occasion quest is not.

____________________________
FFXIV Dyvid (Awaiting 2.0)
FFXI Dyvid ~ Pandemonium (Retired)
SWTOR Dy'vid Legacy - Canderous Ordo
#42 Nov 27 2010 at 6:46 PM Rating: Default
**
376 posts
dyvidd wrote:
Content: The amount of detail in a game.

First I want to say MMORPG aren't a race to the end. If it was you would do nothing in them but kill monster for xp. No craft, no items, no quest. It's about RPG is all about advancement. Both FFXI and WoW had an abundance of content because if it didn't people wouldn't play, period.

Everytime a player levels they unlock new skills, talent trees, zones, mounts, items, quest.
FFXI is the example I'll use because it's an SE game. When you dinged 10 you moved to a new area and started learning about party play, 20 you hit jeuno, the central hub of Vana'diel and unlock chocobos, 30 you unlock advance jobs, 50 you start your AF quest, 75 you start end-game. All through yout you had the missions that progressed with level ranges from 1-75, Sandy, Windy, Bastok, Zilart, CoP, ToAU, and Wings. You also had random NPC CS quest. SE also added garrison (20-75), eco warrior (20), Assualt (50+), Besieged (60-75).

That is content, doing dailies (guildleve) and an occasion quest is not.



You dinged 10 by grinding levels, you went to the new area to learn about party play and then grind, you sit outside the chocobo place for 5 hours, then go grind to 30, start BACK at 1 with advanced job, and grind THAT to level 50 where you had to pay someone to get your keys, grind to 75.

this game has a storyline too.

Quote:
SE also added garrison (20-75), eco warrior (20), Assualt (50+), Besieged (60-75).


how long was the game running before this stuff was released? you cant compare a matured game to one fresh on the market. you give props for them eventually adding that material, but putting them down because they havent had the opportunity to add here. frankly id rather them finish fine-tuning this game, then the content will be that much more enjoyable. Had they added stuff first, we would be lagging and freezing with the crappy UI and too frustrated to enjoy.
____________________________


#43 Nov 27 2010 at 7:01 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
***
1,842 posts
I'm being very harsh with SE simply because they have over 8 years of experience with FFXI. They should have known better. Fixing the game was important but adding said content is equally. Both are what makes or breaks a game. You could have the most flawless game in the world but with nothing to do it's epic fail.

____________________________
FFXIV Dyvid (Awaiting 2.0)
FFXI Dyvid ~ Pandemonium (Retired)
SWTOR Dy'vid Legacy - Canderous Ordo
#44 Nov 27 2010 at 7:05 PM Rating: Excellent
**
305 posts
AsashinoTsuki wrote:
KacesofCaitsith wrote:

Content is not restricted to endgame only. Infact, most mmo's don't have much for endgame content when they launch for the reasons you said. However most mmo's have content for the leveling experience. More then likely, that is what people are talking about in regards to a lack of content.


Like what? ff11 was all grind, after 10 hours of LFG which made some of our first lv.75's take over a year, WOW is run all the way across the map to pick up a bunch of quest, then find 10 of "these" kill 8 of "this" and find 15 of "those" on the ground.

Everquest was alot of grind, but there was alot of travel.

(not counting endgame of course, which for every game but ff11 was raid raid raid 4 times a week)

the only thing these games had to break up the monotony of leveling, was crafting or gathering, exactly what this game has now.

then people leave this game from lack of content, to go back to their "content" which are wow raids and ff11 abyssea, thats it.

i agree that there isnt alot to do right now, but im going to be ready when there is

Edited, Nov 27th 2010 7:25pm by AsashinoTsuki



Lets see:

FFXI : Main Story missions. NPC questing for immersion. CoP missions at 30. Zilart missions inbetween. Advance job quests.

The list goes on.

WoW: NPC questing for immersion. PVP. Dungeons.

Never played EQ. But from what i hear, ffxi was just an EQ clone with a ff setting.

You might see questing as a dressed up grind, and really it is. But the dressing allows for immersion, sense of purpose and impact. Questing when done right lends greatly to immersion.

You know what a big difference between a game with content and a game without content?

You see the world evolve, a story unfold. You are given options on what to do. The unenjoyable parts of the mmo genre are disguised, dressed up, hidden from view as much as possible so that in the end you spend as much time playing and enjoying the game as you can.

A game without content just plops you down with a weak story, a static world and no purpose to your actions.

Think for a second. Why are you killing those marmots? Are they invading a farmers crop? Are they possessed by an unknown evil? Are they carriers of some nefarious plague? Or are they simply there for you to grind on to become more powerful?
____________________________


#45 Nov 27 2010 at 7:15 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
***
1,842 posts
Well I know November update was strictly a fix patch and SE brought their A game (save the SP thing). December is suppose to be the content patch so let's hope they bring the same level of quality we have come to expect from SE. PS3 version is done so they can launch it anytime. So now the whole team needs to focus on bring Eorzea to life. Though FFXIV isn't trying to compete with WoW, Star Wars, and other MMO but they all fighting for the same subscribers.

The hall is rented, the music is playing, time to see if SE can dance.

Edited, Nov 28th 2010 9:14am by dyvidd
____________________________
FFXIV Dyvid (Awaiting 2.0)
FFXI Dyvid ~ Pandemonium (Retired)
SWTOR Dy'vid Legacy - Canderous Ordo
#46 Nov 27 2010 at 7:18 PM Rating: Excellent
***
2,120 posts
I think the content argument isn't just about the amount of it and when you get to do it, but the quality of it even. The content that is there(story missions & guild quests along with the leves & behest) isn't keeping people satisfied either. Some good cutscenes, yes, but if you've done one r20 class quest then you've pretty much done 'em all. People want some epic final fantasy stuff that they're not really seeing here.

So, obviously we want more content. NPC Quests is huge on the demand list along with various other types of content. But on top of that, you have people wondering if future content will continue in the same easy-mode, boring fashion as the current content. Sure we all knew this patch wasn't about content so there's no surprise there. Though I dunno how long you can expect people to wait for quality content, especially if it becomes time to decide whether you pay monthly or leave...

Edited, Nov 27th 2010 8:25pm by TwistedOwl
____________________________

#47 Nov 27 2010 at 7:23 PM Rating: Excellent
15 posts
Even simple text content would be welcome. Like a little bit of history about each zone and local landmarks as an option when you click an aetheryte. Some of the joy of exploring new areas is lost when you get all the way there and it's just an empty camp. I enjoy knowing a little about the areas I'm in.
____________________________


FFXI: Eugenius of Sylph (Retired)
#48 Nov 27 2010 at 8:03 PM Rating: Excellent
Scholar
**
386 posts
KacesofCaitsith wrote:
AsashinoTsuki wrote:
KacesofCaitsith wrote:

Content is not restricted to endgame only. Infact, most mmo's don't have much for endgame content when they launch for the reasons you said. However most mmo's have content for the leveling experience. More then likely, that is what people are talking about in regards to a lack of content.


Like what? ff11 was all grind, after 10 hours of LFG which made some of our first lv.75's take over a year, WOW is run all the way across the map to pick up a bunch of quest, then find 10 of "these" kill 8 of "this" and find 15 of "those" on the ground.

Everquest was alot of grind, but there was alot of travel.

(not counting endgame of course, which for every game but ff11 was raid raid raid 4 times a week)

the only thing these games had to break up the monotony of leveling, was crafting or gathering, exactly what this game has now.

then people leave this game from lack of content, to go back to their "content" which are wow raids and ff11 abyssea, thats it.

i agree that there isnt alot to do right now, but im going to be ready when there is

Edited, Nov 27th 2010 7:25pm by AsashinoTsuki



Lets see:

FFXI : Main Story missions. NPC questing for immersion. CoP missions at 30. Zilart missions inbetween. Advance job quests.

The list goes on....


I'll give you NPC quests, but how about cutting out the expansion missions to give these games a more fair comparison at release shall we? I don't think anyone here (at least I hope not) expected the game to roll out with the same level of content as FFXI after years of being out in the market. And we still have the new quests and notorious monsters to look forward to in December.

Edited, Nov 27th 2010 9:04pm by ThePacster
#49 Nov 27 2010 at 9:06 PM Rating: Decent
**
305 posts
Quote:
I'll give you NPC quests, but how about cutting out the expansion missions to give these games a more fair comparison at release shall we? I don't think anyone here (at least I hope not) expected the game to roll out with the same level of content as FFXI after years of being out in the market. And we still have the new quests and notorious monsters to look forward to in December.


That really does not mitigate the content for low levels really. CoP missions at 30 were the only add-in low level content for expansions. Originally the game capped at 50, so you had missions (all three nations btw), subjob quests, npc quests and a bunch of other things im forgettin timelinewise as well (rse, bcnm- not sure if these were vanilla). TBH though, ffxi was a decently content filled mmo, but there are ones which launched with more... i would say that most mmos in the last 5 years have launched with more content than ffxi launched with. That is not a bad thing or an insult, just an indication of the progression of the mmo genre.

Also, no one is expecting the exact same level of content from a new mmo. The point of this discussion at hand is that there is minimal amounts to work with - far below what many would consider par for the course in a new mmo. Quality is another factor as well.

Likewise, do not think that people are not comparing this game to more established ones. Regardless of whether it is a fair comparision or not, people are going to do it and make judgement calls off of what they see not what is promised to them.

Edited, Nov 27th 2010 10:07pm by KacesofCaitsith
____________________________


#50 Nov 27 2010 at 10:18 PM Rating: Decent
**
291 posts
I guarantee you couldn't hit Rank 5 in FFXI on release.

You guys (and most people) clearly forget that "sky" and "Dynamis" weren't even in the game when NA started. I remember when they added Kirin and I remember when Dynamis opened. I remember when you could get Rank 6-10. There really wasn't that much to do in XI even when NA started. Though most of this was added long before 80% of us got to 65 (let alone 75). There wasn't much to do besides Quest, Grind (Exp or Farm) and Craft (throw gil away).

I think part of what kept our attention longer was 1) JP were high level so we had something to aspire to looking at them in their cool AF gear and waltzing through zones we peed ourselves just entering. Most people complain the JP got a head start but honestly if the JP got their hands on this game and went through all its growing pains -face it, we'd still complain it was unfair but- we'd have a pretty quality game 6,8,maybe 12 months later. 2) The economy was stable and things were available and interesting (and an elitist community that I don't miss drove us to acquire all the best gear and spells we could). I mean you could go to the AH and look at things for hours and figure out exactly what you wanted and how much it would cost to get it. The best we have now is websites like Yellow Gremlin (which works fine, but isn't run by SE or part of the game). This made it easier to set personal goals. "When I get X amount of gil I'm going to buy Y weapon. Now I must farm!" This game ... has that but its less organized and certainly harder to find what you want/need.

I think NPC quests is a good call, but really Guild leves are NPC quests that are all conveniently located in one place and all require generally the same thing. I think if someone told me about that in advance like "Imagine all those NPC quests you did in XI or WoW all at one convenient desk! Then run out or teleport to a camp and quest away!" I'd probably be pretty interested. Though after doing it for 2 months - it's pretty boring. I don't even read the flavor text on leves (I may have read 1 or 2) but since I'm not forced to - I don't bother. Leves are basically streamlined questing. It makes you feels less immersed. I'm not saying it's bad, though.

FF14 has problems, but I still think it's a great game. Did I stop playing for 2 weeks? Yep. They announced a reduction in Skill Points needed. No sense in me busting my *** to get Rank 30 just to kiss goodbye 10k skill points. I'm back now that the update is here - and like (whoever you are) above me said "when content comes I'm going to be ready" - though this Party SP thing is bull. They need to fix that pronto. Leveling is a tedious chore now.
____________________________
Battle Mage Kiru
#51 Nov 27 2010 at 10:42 PM Rating: Decent
What I would like to know is: Why did they rush this out of the gate?

They released XIII less than a year ago. Yes it was a huge disappointment to a large percentage of FF fans, but regardless of whether it flopped or not it still made money. XI is still releasing content (Abyssea) and raising level caps. SE wasn't exactly twiddling their thumbs, nervously counting down the seconds to launch. They knew there were problems. They have testers for this stuff on the development side also, not just the beta clients. It doesn't make sense to me for a big name developer like SE to do things halfway. Take the extra couple months, release the game at Christmas, and knock our socks off instead of scaring everyone.
____________________________
Our team is like a flock of woodpeckers in a petrified forest. We just need to keep working and keep an eye open for opportunity.

FFXI
Toofar - Asura (Formerly of Lakshmi (Garuda)) - WHM BLM SMN
Rafoot - Asura (Formerly of Lakshmi (Garuda)) - THF SAM BRD
« Previous 1 2
This forum is read only
This Forum is Read Only!
Recent Visitors: 15 All times are in CST
Anonymous Guests (15)