Forum Settings
       
« Previous 1 2
This Forum is Read Only

Will FFXIV be a ghost town when...Follow

#1 Nov 28 2010 at 11:30 AM Rating: Default
34 posts
... the new WoW expansion is released on Dec 7th?

It's pretty bad now but when Cata is released I think world population is going to plummet.

Discuss.
#2 Nov 28 2010 at 11:38 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
26 posts
What can be said? Some will stay and some will leave.
No amount of discussion will change that.
#3SheffUK, Posted: Nov 28 2010 at 11:43 AM, Rating: Sub-Default, (Expand Post) The point is more to what extent will FFXIV be affected and how many people will leave. Hard enough to get a party as it is.
#4 Nov 28 2010 at 11:43 AM Rating: Excellent
SheffUK wrote:
... the new WoW expansion is released on Dec 7th?

It's pretty bad now but when Cata is released I think world population is going to plummet.

Discuss.


When I see people add "discuss" after a one liner sentence I question if they had much of a point to begin with, worth actually creating a new post over. However this is more likely just another new guy coming along making, yet another, incendiary post trying to stir up the flames.

To answer your question, I don't really think it will make a large difference. I see people all over the place on my server and I imagine, those that were leaving for Cata already have gone back to WoW in preparation for it's release. I'll also pose another question, what if Cataclysm is a disappointment? You think we'll see some people coming back over? It's unlikely, but that creates another factor to consider.
____________________________
#5namasy, Posted: Nov 28 2010 at 11:45 AM, Rating: Sub-Default, (Expand Post) Discuss?? what there to Discus? WoW expansion is released on Dec 7th, is ffxiv dooms day.
#6 Nov 28 2010 at 11:45 AM Rating: Good
49 posts
I dropped WoW for a reason. New expansion is just more of the same :j
Will be interesting to see how people will react though.
#7SheffUK, Posted: Nov 28 2010 at 12:03 PM, Rating: Sub-Default, (Expand Post) A little presumptuous wouldn't you say? Firstly it was not a "one liner sentance". Secondly - no, I am not new here I've been around and lurking since the days of FFXI launch. Thirdly - you answered the question and contributed to the discussion negating your own point. If you would like to troll any more please do it in another thread. Merci.
#8 Nov 28 2010 at 12:09 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
**
991 posts
people who were gonna play wow for a new expansion, decided so MONTHS ago before they started playing this
whats going on here has nothing to do really with people going to play it, and to think otherwise would just be silly
____________________________


#9 Nov 28 2010 at 12:24 PM Rating: Excellent
SheffUK wrote:
Archfiend Luceo wrote:
SheffUK wrote:
... the new WoW expansion is released on Dec 7th?

It's pretty bad now but when Cata is released I think world population is going to plummet.

Discuss.


When I see people add "discuss" after a one liner sentence I question if they had much of a point to begin with, worth actually creating a new post over. However this is more likely just another new guy coming along making, yet another, incendiary post trying to stir up the flames.

To answer your question, I don't really think it will make a large difference. I see people all over the place on my server and I imagine, those that were leaving for Cata already have gone back to WoW in preparation for it's release. I'll also pose another question, what if Cataclysm is a disappointment? You think we'll see some people coming back over? It's unlikely, but that creates another factor to consider.

A little presumptuous wouldn't you say? Firstly it was not a "one liner sentance". Secondly - no, I am not new here I've been around and lurking since the days of FFXI launch. Thirdly - you answered the question and contributed to the discussion negating your own point. If you would like to troll any more please do it in another thread. Merci.


I'm afraid I'm not trolling, otherwise why would I contribute to your obviously inflammatory discussion. Also if you have lurked around as long as you say you have, then you would have realized before you even posted what manner of response you were sure to get. I'm well aware that Cataclysm will cause numbers not sure here but other MMO's to falter, however don't presume that this game will die and that everyone is like rats jumping off a sinking ship. I'd like to maintain a positive outlook that with this recent update and future ones that the gaming population here will hopefully stick through and come out better in the coming months.
____________________________
#10 Nov 28 2010 at 12:30 PM Rating: Good
*****
11,539 posts
I quit WoW -because of- Cataclysm. I can't say whether I'll still be playing FFXIV in a month or not, but I definitely won't be playing Cataclysm.

Also, your user number is 1811803 which means you haven't been posting very long. If you really have been lurking for 8 years like you claim you have, then you should know pretty well that you were starting a flame thread.

If anything, you might have claimed ignorance without that claim.

Regardless, nearly every thread with an OP ending in "Discuss." results in the OP either abandoning the thread after the flames start or trying to fuel them on themselves. No thread with the OP ending in "Discuss." has ever had any point worth considering.
____________________________
[ffxisig]55836[/ffxisig]

Mikhalia: and FWIW, my posts are 95% helpful, informative, or funny.
Mikhalia: only 5% or less of my posts are utter crap.
Tyapex: 393 posts of utter crap...
Mikhalia: Sounds about right.
#11 Nov 28 2010 at 12:34 PM Rating: Good
8 posts
What are you trying to prove by making these threads? Honestly, grow up.
#12 Nov 28 2010 at 12:35 PM Rating: Excellent
****
7,106 posts
I really don't see a new expansion for a six-year-old MMO that has almost no players in Japan having a huge impact on FFXIV. I'm sure some will leave, at least to give it a try, but there's just not such a huge overlap in the player base that a new WoW expansion would have a noticeable effect.

Given how much FFXIV has struggled independent of its competition, and given how many recent and upcoming MMO's are out there, I'm really not thinking that WoW is going to have much of an impact.
Quote:
what if Cataclysm is a disappointment?

This is actually an interesting point. If Cataclysm is good, it probably won't hurt FFXIV too much because it's still a very old game with a rather different player base. But, if Cataclysm is bad, then there could be a lot of WoW players who were holding on for it deciding to look for something newer.
#13SheffUK, Posted: Nov 28 2010 at 12:39 PM, Rating: Sub-Default, (Expand Post) If this is such a troll thread why do you keep giving your opinion on the subject at hand?... Strange.
#14 Nov 28 2010 at 12:43 PM Rating: Good
8 posts
My point is SheffUK, there's already a million threads on here talking about "this game is going to fail". I really don't see why people continue to making threads about it. So what if it fails? Then it fails, people move on to other games and life goes on. ****.

Edited, Nov 28th 2010 1:44pm by gkzutto
#15 Nov 28 2010 at 12:46 PM Rating: Excellent
***
1,636 posts
the people left playing 14 are likely there for the long haul. Anyone interested in cataclysm has likely already gone.
____________________________


#16 Nov 28 2010 at 12:48 PM Rating: Good
**
821 posts
SheffUK wrote:
Archfiend Luceo wrote:
SheffUK wrote:
Archfiend Luceo wrote:
SheffUK wrote:
... the new WoW expansion is released on Dec 7th?

It's pretty bad now but when Cata is released I think world population is going to plummet.

Discuss.


When I see people add "discuss" after a one liner sentence I question if they had much of a point to begin with, worth actually creating a new post over. However this is more likely just another new guy coming along making, yet another, incendiary post trying to stir up the flames.

To answer your question, I don't really think it will make a large difference. I see people all over the place on my server and I imagine, those that were leaving for Cata already have gone back to WoW in preparation for it's release. I'll also pose another question, what if Cataclysm is a disappointment? You think we'll see some people coming back over? It's unlikely, but that creates another factor to consider.

A little presumptuous wouldn't you say? Firstly it was not a "one liner sentance". Secondly - no, I am not new here I've been around and lurking since the days of FFXI launch. Thirdly - you answered the question and contributed to the discussion negating your own point. If you would like to troll any more please do it in another thread. Merci.


I'm afraid I'm not trolling, otherwise why would I contribute to your obviously inflammatory discussion. Also if you have lurked around as long as you say you have, then you would have realized before you even posted what manner of response you were sure to get. I'm well aware that Cataclysm will cause numbers not sure here but other MMO's to falter, however don't presume that this game will die and that everyone is like rats jumping off a sinking ship. I'd like to maintain a positive outlook that with this recent update and future ones that the gaming population here will hopefully stick through and come out better in the coming months.


If this is such a troll thread why do you keep giving your opinion on the subject at hand?... Strange.

This is a FFXIV forum and a major concern for the community at the moment is dwindling population and outside inteferences such as Cata. So why not discuss where this game will be around that time and voice our concerns? We aren't all fanboys who would rather turn a blind eye.

As for 'gkzutto'... no comment :/


You for some reason seem to be mistaken that ppl still playing at the moment, are ditching FFXIV as soon as Cata hits the shelves...sorry...but this might happen for some...but most of the community STILL playing are here for a reason...they are here because they believe in FFXIV and what it can be, once SE is done with the "patching"...

I am one of those...I lpayed FFXI 5 years, played WoW 2 years afetr that(only started WoW cause I was looking for an MMO which had "scheduled endgame" possibilities, cause I just got sick of the time sink of HNM Time Windows.
Still I loved FFXI and I loved it in a manner way deeper then I ever loved WoW...WoW was fun...raiding was fun...but only as long as I felt challenged...Burning XCrusade was the beast...I loved it...it was fun, WotLK started really bad...Ulduar was a glimpse of hope for me...only to see it getting nerfed instantly after the first Raid ID, wtf?
I quit WoW for a reason...and I quit it way before I touched any other MMORPG...I was playing offline games only after quitting WoW...and FFXIV is my new "shiny" car now...all it needs is polishing...and SE is doing that right now..I can only imagine where FFXIV can be one day...I'm hoping for the best...if this won't happen at anytime...I just quit it for good and I'm fine, but I know what SE is capable of, after seeing FFXI for 5 years and I'm willing to give FFXIV a chance to proof SE can do this again and even better.

Edited, Nov 28th 2010 6:57pm by Shezard
#17 Nov 28 2010 at 12:55 PM Rating: Excellent
Edited by bsphil
******
21,739 posts
Just like how FFXI turned into a ghost town when WoW first released?
____________________________
His Excellency Aethien wrote:
Almalieque wrote:
If no one debated with me, then I wouldn't post here anymore.
Take the hint guys, please take the hint.
gbaji wrote:
I'm not getting my news from anywhere Joph.
#18SheffUK, Posted: Nov 28 2010 at 1:12 PM, Rating: Sub-Default, (Expand Post) If there was a prize for missing the point gkzutto you would win first place.
#19 Nov 28 2010 at 3:24 PM Rating: Excellent
****
7,106 posts
Quote:
I really don't see why people continue to making threads about it.

Oh, that's easy: because he thinks that his own opinion that the game will fail is more important than everyone else's opinion that the game will fail. He thinks very highly of himself and wants us to know that his opinion is more valid, even though it's still just the same opinion.

It's the same reason most people do the whole "I'm ignoring existing threads to talk about this" thing. "Hey everyone! I'm special! Listen to me!"

Yeah, it gets old, but it's human nature. Every staff meeting in real life has that one guy who repeats everything just so we all hear him saying it. It doesn't impress people there any more than it impresses people here, but there will still always be people who do it.
#20 Nov 28 2010 at 3:41 PM Rating: Default
***
2,202 posts
bsphil wrote:
Just like how FFXI turned into a ghost town when WoW first released?


It kinda did eventually.
____________________________
MUTED
#21 Nov 28 2010 at 3:48 PM Rating: Decent
***
2,202 posts
Caesura wrote:
I really don't see a new expansion for a six-year-old MMO that has almost no players in Japan having a huge impact on FFXIV. I'm sure some will leave, at least to give it a try, but there's just not such a huge overlap in the player base that a new WoW expansion would have a noticeable effect.

Given how much FFXIV has struggled independent of its competition, and given how many recent and upcoming MMO's are out there, I'm really not thinking that WoW is going to have much of an impact.
Quote:
what if Cataclysm is a disappointment?

This is actually an interesting point. If Cataclysm is good, it probably won't hurt FFXIV too much because it's still a very old game with a rather different player base. But, if Cataclysm is bad, then there could be a lot of WoW players who were holding on for it deciding to look for something newer.


Considering the player base outside of japan outnumbers them 2-1, it could have a very good impact if it does deliver. And FFXIV has just barely survived, is not like the game has been out for 1 year and the worst has passed, it's still early to count it in more so than out, also both games target the same player base "The Casual" if you belive FFIXV is some kind of "Hardcore" heaven, then i dont know what game you been playing.
____________________________
MUTED
#22 Nov 28 2010 at 4:08 PM Rating: Decent
***
1,608 posts
They should expand to Wii as well.

Then the survey for destroyed TVs due to flying Wii controllers will show a skyrocketed increase!
____________________________

#23cornyboob, Posted: Nov 28 2010 at 4:10 PM, Rating: Sub-Default, (Expand Post) welcome to the sub-default club.
#24 Nov 28 2010 at 4:41 PM Rating: Decent
SheffUK wrote:
... the new WoW expansion is released on Dec 7th?

It's pretty bad now but when Cata is released I think world population is going to plummet.

Discuss.


No because believe it or not some people do have standards when playing an mmo.

I prefer more realistic graphics, not dated cartoon crap.
#25 Nov 28 2010 at 5:04 PM Rating: Default
8 posts
But does that make what I said wrong?
#26 Nov 28 2010 at 5:05 PM Rating: Excellent
Honestly, i tried WOW and found it to be passable. I could never get by the "toonish" look of the game. Just talking to people i know and work with, the player bases tends to overlap minimally. I know many will debate that, but if you did play WOW and FF chances are you went back to 'prep' your character for the update. Furthermore, with all the problems we have encountered here in this game all the people who have stuck around thus far should be around in the future. I know I had doubts, but our community seems to be rallying around this game. What we can do is stop the petty debating over what will be the next downturn in population and start focusing on what would heighten the gaming experience. At the end of the day we are playing the game for fun, aren't we?

just my .02
____________________________
#27 Nov 28 2010 at 5:14 PM Rating: Excellent
****
7,106 posts
Quote:
also both games target the same player base "The Casual" if you belive FFIXV is some kind of "Hardcore" heaven, then i dont know what game you been playing.

There's more than one kind of casual. If you don't think that WoW has a style that's meaningfully different from FFXIV's, then I don't know what games you've been playing.

I think some people are forgetting that Cataclysm is Blizzard's effort to jumpstart an old game with a partial reboot. This is not a shiny new MMO here -- it's something that has always been there. The people who really want to play WoW... are playing WoW.

If Cataclysm is fantastic, FFXIV could lose people from the 2/3 of non-Japanese players who were sitting on the fence about choosing only a single game to play and are willing to jump exclusively to a six-year-old game that is stylistically very different from the one they've been playing for months. On the other hand, if Cataclysm is terrible (or even not amazing), then millions of players will potentially leave an aging game looking for something new. The risk/reward ratio here seems pretty good for FFXIV.

I hope Cataclysm succeeds. I'd like to see more MMO's attempt a meaningful reboot once they got old. I think a reboot of FFXI, for example, would have been better than FFXIV. But, I just don't think there are that many FFXIV players itching to jump to Warcraft who haven't already long-since done it. The ones that are still playing are here because the other options aren't that exciting for them.
#28 Nov 28 2010 at 5:17 PM Rating: Excellent
**
451 posts
I reckon all the WoW kids already left the game, so I don't know if Cata will make a huge difference at this point.


The Guild Wars 2 release however, different story. The question there is will WoW be a ghost town.

Edited, Nov 29th 2010 2:12am by KristoFurwalken
#29 Nov 28 2010 at 6:06 PM Rating: Excellent
Scholar
**
685 posts
I think those that didn't like XIV and aren't willing to give it a second chance are gone or will be gone after free period's over.

Those that cam from WoW thinking that XIV would be a WoW killer have gotten over it and returned.

And those who are still going to give XIV a chance will either stay or rejoin.
____________________________

Crafter Consortium Craftsman/Gatherers Linkshell
#30 Nov 28 2010 at 7:42 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
**
322 posts
Mikhalia the Picky wrote:
I quit WoW -because of- Cataclysm. I can't say whether I'll still be playing FFXIV in a month or not, but I definitely won't be playing Cataclysm.

Also, your user number is 1811803 which means you haven't been posting very long. If you really have been lurking for 8 years like you claim you have, then you should know pretty well that you were starting a flame thread.

If anything, you might have claimed ignorance without that claim.

Regardless, nearly every thread with an OP ending in "Discuss." results in the OP either abandoning the thread after the flames start or trying to fuel them on themselves. No thread with the OP ending in "Discuss." has ever had any point worth considering.


Funnily enough I quit because of WOTLK then am going back as a casual player for Cataclysm because it looks like the raiding won't be one big joke anymore.

FFXIV will be my main MMO, but gotta spend SOME time with the missus.
____________________________


#31 Nov 28 2010 at 7:58 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
**
554 posts
Mikhalia the Picky wrote:
I quit WoW -because of- Cataclysm. I can't say whether I'll still be playing FFXIV in a month or not, but I definitely won't be playing Cataclysm.

Also, your user number is 1811803 which means you haven't been posting very long. If you really have been lurking for 8 years like you claim you have, then you should know pretty well that you were starting a flame thread.



Wow totally off topic But I never relized there was a user number O.o

Not to defend the guy Mikhalia, since he seems to be tossing bait >.< but I lurked here for years my self before posting, and even then I post like what? 4 a month if that? (/sulk)
At anyrate Rate up for teaching me something new :D
#32 Nov 28 2010 at 8:27 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
**
691 posts
Honestly, as people have pointed out, the people who still "like" WoW for whatever reason have already gone back to their drug of choice. I even checked back in on WoW recently, decided the game was boring and really has no value to anyone with a PC of my caliber, and am now playing games like Vindictus (NA Mabinogi Heroes), PS3 Fighters such as Blazblue:CS, and FFXIV. Heck, even facebook games give me more of a feeling of achievement than WoW does now.
#33 Nov 29 2010 at 12:10 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
991 posts
Mikhalia the Picky wrote:
I quit WoW -because of- Cataclysm. I can't say whether I'll still be playing FFXIV in a month or not, but I definitely won't be playing Cataclysm.

Also, your user number is 1811803 which means you haven't been posting very long. If you really have been lurking for 8 years like you claim you have, then you should know pretty well that you were starting a flame thread.

If anything, you might have claimed ignorance without that claim.

Regardless, nearly every thread with an OP ending in "Discuss." results in the OP either abandoning the thread after the flames start or trying to fuel them on themselves. No thread with the OP ending in "Discuss." has ever had any point worth considering.



i must now go off topic and ask how one even sees their user number
im curious cuz ive been around here a long time
____________________________


#34 Nov 29 2010 at 12:14 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
**
802 posts
To be frank, I'm kinda surprised that peeps need to ask this question if when A comes out will B loose customers.

The answer is a always the same, Those who want to leave will do those who stay will be around.

Maybe next time we should ask ourselves this question:

If A comes out will B loose customers but gain back in the end when A sucks but both loose customers because of C. So how many players A, B and C have in total?



sidenote: Man.. I really suck at maths.
____________________________


#35 Nov 29 2010 at 12:14 AM Rating: Good
Edited by bsphil
******
21,739 posts
Ostia wrote:
bsphil wrote:
Just like how FFXI turned into a ghost town when WoW first released?


It kinda did eventually.
Yeah the number of players did decrease somewhat and there has been a very gradual downhill trend of the game's population which has increased somewhat recently.

Nothing at all like the claim being made that December 7th would be the day that everyone simultaneously abandoned the game.
____________________________
His Excellency Aethien wrote:
Almalieque wrote:
If no one debated with me, then I wouldn't post here anymore.
Take the hint guys, please take the hint.
gbaji wrote:
I'm not getting my news from anywhere Joph.
#36 Nov 29 2010 at 12:17 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
802 posts
bsphil wrote:
Ostia wrote:
bsphil wrote:
Just like how FFXI turned into a ghost town when WoW first released?


It kinda did eventually.
Yeah the number of players did decrease somewhat and there has been a very gradual downhill trend of the game's population which has increased somewhat recently.

Nothing at all like the claim being made that December 7th would be the day that everyone simultaneously abandoned the game.


Well those that left, already did left the game. Looking at the names in my LS list makes me sad at times.
____________________________


#37 Nov 29 2010 at 12:34 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
826 posts
There are some valid and some inane points in this thread. Obviously, the majority of XIV players that were going to defect for Cata already have; however, i've seen an average of two to three shout conversations per day for the past couple of weeks. All of them have one thing in common..."i'm leaving for Cataclysm". Whether or not these folks actually do, people who are NOT hardcore fans or enjoy XIV for all its potential are looking for any excuse to ditch this game.

People who start these conversations all cite the same basic reasons for being done with XIV...no mail, no search/AH, ****-poor/strange party design, broken sp/xp gains (yes, still), insanely high gear damage/benefit ratio, etc. I honestly can't blame them...these are certainly valid points, regardless of how fast SE is trying to make things right.

I believe that Cataclysm will make a dent in the already low population of this game, but not exclusively...it'll dent every other MMO on the market as well. It'll just make a lesser impact on XIV, since there's not a huge amount of players to begin with. Anyone who believes that we'll see no effect is living under a rock.

____________________________
Jerri Blank (Strangers with Candy):
"I may still be doing all the wrong things, but now i'm doing them the right way!"
#38 Nov 29 2010 at 12:38 AM Rating: Default
***
2,202 posts
Caesura wrote:
Quote:
also both games target the same player base "The Casual" if you belive FFIXV is some kind of "Hardcore" heaven, then i dont know what game you been playing.

There's more than one kind of casual. If you don't think that WoW has a style that's meaningfully different from FFXIV's, then I don't know what games you've been playing.

I think some people are forgetting that Cataclysm is Blizzard's effort to jumpstart an old game with a partial reboot. This is not a shiny new MMO here -- it's something that has always been there. The people who really want to play WoW... are playing WoW.

If Cataclysm is fantastic, FFXIV could lose people from the 2/3 of non-Japanese players who were sitting on the fence about choosing only a single game to play and are willing to jump exclusively to a six-year-old game that is stylistically very different from the one they've been playing for months. On the other hand, if Cataclysm is terrible (or even not amazing), then millions of players will potentially leave an aging game looking for something new. The risk/reward ratio here seems pretty good for FFXIV.

I hope Cataclysm succeeds. I'd like to see more MMO's attempt a meaningful reboot once they got old. I think a reboot of FFXI, for example, would have been better than FFXIV. But, I just don't think there are that many FFXIV players itching to jump to Warcraft who haven't already long-since done it. The ones that are still playing are here because the other options aren't that exciting for them.


we can nitpick about what kind of casual each company want's to attract, but the bottom line is both game's are targeted towards a casual audience in general.

I think some people are forgetting that Blizzard! Has proved wrong everybody expansion after expansion, patch after patch, wow killer after wow killer, they still stand as the strongest MMO 6yrs+ after original release, Wolkt was an attempt to revitalize the game, and it work/failed in some way's, cataclysm is more of going back to it's original root's(More hardcore, less PVE Casual friendly)

As to if it will succeed or not, that all depends on how far they go to either spectrum, if they go to hardcore they will lose a good chunk of their subs, and if they go way to casual "Ala Wolkt" they will lose subs too, just not as much as if they go all hardcore, IMO FFXIV does indeed has to gain if cata does fail's, but honestly speaking, i doubt cata will fail on it's face in any way as hard as FFXIV has, and is not like FFXIV offers much gameplay wise over wow.
____________________________
MUTED
#39 Nov 29 2010 at 12:41 AM Rating: Default
***
2,202 posts
bsphil wrote:
Ostia wrote:
bsphil wrote:
Just like how FFXI turned into a ghost town when WoW first released?


It kinda did eventually.
Yeah the number of players did decrease somewhat and there has been a very gradual downhill trend of the game's population which has increased somewhat recently.

Nothing at all like the claim being made that December 7th would be the day that everyone simultaneously abandoned the game.


Indeed true, but there is a big difference, when Wow came out, FFXI was the top dog, had around 3mil sub's and now how manny they have ? not even half a mill if i'm not mistaken ? FFXIIV does not has that luxury, they dont even have 500k player's, and the population keeps on going down week after week, atleast before the patch that was the case, and wow subs have only increased expansion after expansion by the million's
____________________________
MUTED
#40 Nov 29 2010 at 12:44 AM Rating: Decent
Edited by bsphil
******
21,739 posts
FFXI was never top dog, never had 3 mil subscribers, not even close. No idea where you got that idea from, they never even broke 1m. Actually in the early months of WoW from when it released until it was still picking up steam at around only 2-3 mil subs (lol) FFXI was actually increasing in subscriptions at the same time. Once WoW started getting really big, FFXI started going back down. All the while, Lineage and Lineage II were pulling in subscriptions in the millions (admittedly, mostly in South Korea).



Edited, Nov 29th 2010 12:52am by bsphil
____________________________
His Excellency Aethien wrote:
Almalieque wrote:
If no one debated with me, then I wouldn't post here anymore.
Take the hint guys, please take the hint.
gbaji wrote:
I'm not getting my news from anywhere Joph.
#41 Nov 29 2010 at 1:04 AM Rating: Excellent
***
1,636 posts
People who are planning to quit for cataclysm aren't exactly out there grinding their archers and lancers right now. Most likely they've already stopped logging in regularly, so I doubt you're really going to see a massive drop of players come 12/7.
____________________________


#42 Nov 29 2010 at 1:06 AM Rating: Decent
***
2,202 posts
Ah i was confusing the numbers with GW, but i was under the impression that they did break the 2 million mark, in sub's or in atleast characters created, wich if i remember correctly you can only have one and pay for another one right ?
____________________________
MUTED
#43 Nov 29 2010 at 2:55 PM Rating: Good
*****
11,539 posts
Off-topic.

Devildawgs wrote:
Mikhalia the Picky wrote:
I quit WoW -because of- Cataclysm. I can't say whether I'll still be playing FFXIV in a month or not, but I definitely won't be playing Cataclysm.

Also, your user number is 1811803 which means you haven't been posting very long. If you really have been lurking for 8 years like you claim you have, then you should know pretty well that you were starting a flame thread.



Wow totally off topic But I never relized there was a user number O.o

Not to defend the guy Mikhalia, since he seems to be tossing bait >.< but I lurked here for years my self before posting, and even then I post like what? 4 a month if that? (/sulk)
At anyrate Rate up for teaching me something new :D


You are 734882

Vedis wrote:
Mikhalia the Picky wrote:
I quit WoW -because of- Cataclysm. I can't say whether I'll still be playing FFXIV in a month or not, but I definitely won't be playing Cataclysm.

Also, your user number is 1811803 which means you haven't been posting very long. If you really have been lurking for 8 years like you claim you have, then you should know pretty well that you were starting a flame thread.

If anything, you might have claimed ignorance without that claim.

Regardless, nearly every thread with an OP ending in "Discuss." results in the OP either abandoning the thread after the flames start or trying to fuel them on themselves. No thread with the OP ending in "Discuss." has ever had any point worth considering.



i must now go off topic and ask how one even sees their user number
im curious cuz ive been around here a long time


You are 445254

If you have premium, your user number is whatever your journal is. If you don't, then you can click on your name in the upper right (Assuming you're using the XIV skin) and click on (your name)'s Images. Even if you don't have premium, it will take you to a page like "http://ffxiv.zam.com/userimages.html?user=" and your user number at the end. Lower number means your account was created earlier.

#1 isn't Allakhazam, either. It's Illia :)
____________________________
[ffxisig]55836[/ffxisig]

Mikhalia: and FWIW, my posts are 95% helpful, informative, or funny.
Mikhalia: only 5% or less of my posts are utter crap.
Tyapex: 393 posts of utter crap...
Mikhalia: Sounds about right.
#44 Nov 29 2010 at 2:58 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
991 posts
Mikhalia the Picky wrote:
Off-topic.

Devildawgs wrote:
Mikhalia the Picky wrote:
I quit WoW -because of- Cataclysm. I can't say whether I'll still be playing FFXIV in a month or not, but I definitely won't be playing Cataclysm.

Also, your user number is 1811803 which means you haven't been posting very long. If you really have been lurking for 8 years like you claim you have, then you should know pretty well that you were starting a flame thread.



Wow totally off topic But I never relized there was a user number O.o

Not to defend the guy Mikhalia, since he seems to be tossing bait >.< but I lurked here for years my self before posting, and even then I post like what? 4 a month if that? (/sulk)
At anyrate Rate up for teaching me something new :D


You are 734882

Vedis wrote:
Mikhalia the Picky wrote:
I quit WoW -because of- Cataclysm. I can't say whether I'll still be playing FFXIV in a month or not, but I definitely won't be playing Cataclysm.

Also, your user number is 1811803 which means you haven't been posting very long. If you really have been lurking for 8 years like you claim you have, then you should know pretty well that you were starting a flame thread.

If anything, you might have claimed ignorance without that claim.

Regardless, nearly every thread with an OP ending in "Discuss." results in the OP either abandoning the thread after the flames start or trying to fuel them on themselves. No thread with the OP ending in "Discuss." has ever had any point worth considering.



i must now go off topic and ask how one even sees their user number
im curious cuz ive been around here a long time


You are 445254

If you have premium, your user number is whatever your journal is. If you don't, then you can click on your name in the upper right (Assuming you're using the XIV skin) and click on (your name)'s Images. Even if you don't have premium, it will take you to a page like "http://ffxiv.zam.com/userimages.html?user=" and your user number at the end. Lower number means your account was created earlier.

#1 isn't Allakhazam, either. It's Illia :)



ok, so if you were on here as of about 7 years ago, your only in the 400ks lol, nice to know
____________________________


#45 Nov 29 2010 at 3:31 PM Rating: Default
*
164 posts
This generation of players tend to have a very VERY short attention span. People that have played WoW in the past are probably going to play Cataclyzm, but I doubt it will keep their attention for long....a few months at the most.

If you think about it, I believe that SE anticipated this. By the time that March comes along, people will have been playing the new WoW for a few months...The PS3 version of FFXIV will come out and a lot of those players that are already getting tired of the new WoW content are going to jump ship.
____________________________
Irishclass777 said: crafting is crafting no matter the game just because crafting is a job in ffxiv don't it much change much.


#46 Nov 29 2010 at 3:41 PM Rating: Excellent
***
2,010 posts
Quote:
To answer your question, I don't really think it will make a large difference. I see people all over the place on my server and I imagine, those that were leaving for Cata already have gone back to WoW in preparation for it's release.


I agree. The overlap of people who actually play FFXI(XIV) and WoW is smaller than you would think - meaning that the XIV end of the pool doesn't have many WoW gamers to begin with. What Blizzard does or does not do isn't going to affect the 500-750k people who are XI\XIV gamers in the least. The only thing I am worried about is the running of both games leaving a skeleton population in each - I wish they wouldn't have done it this way but it is what it is.

He's also right in that those who are planning on playing Cata are in their accounts right now. Blizzard releases a huge amount of content when they prepare expansions - it's not like everything comes down when Dec 7 hits. It's been building up the last month or so. The world has already cracked, theorycrafters are busy crunching the numbers for new talent specs, we're all reforging our existing gear just counting down til the 7th when the new areas, dungeons, and level cap hits.

However, for all of my grumbling over the past few months I'm still waiting for that miracle patch that will make XIV top again - so even in those folks who DO overlap... We're holding out hope and may return.
#47 Nov 29 2010 at 3:47 PM Rating: Good
***
3,416 posts
Quote:
However, for all of my grumbling over the past few months I'm still waiting for that miracle patch that will make XIV top again - so even in those folks who DO overlap... We're holding out hope and may return.


Time will make XIV top again. Not one miracle patch, but 3-4 significant, large patches.
____________________________
SE:
Quote:
We really want to compete against World of Warcraft and for example the new Star Wars MMO.

#48 Nov 29 2010 at 4:17 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
**
991 posts
Torrence wrote:
Quote:
To answer your question, I don't really think it will make a large difference. I see people all over the place on my server and I imagine, those that were leaving for Cata already have gone back to WoW in preparation for it's release.


I agree. The overlap of people who actually play FFXI(XIV) and WoW is smaller than you would think - meaning that the XIV end of the pool doesn't have many WoW gamers to begin with. What Blizzard does or does not do isn't going to affect the 500-750k people who are XI\XIV gamers in the least. The only thing I am worried about is the running of both games leaving a skeleton population in each - I wish they wouldn't have done it this way but it is what it is.

He's also right in that those who are planning on playing Cata are in their accounts right now. Blizzard releases a huge amount of content when they prepare expansions - it's not like everything comes down when Dec 7 hits. It's been building up the last month or so. The world has already cracked, theorycrafters are busy crunching the numbers for new talent specs, we're all reforging our existing gear just counting down til the 7th when the new areas, dungeons, and level cap hits.

However, for all of my grumbling over the past few months I'm still waiting for that miracle patch that will make XIV top again - so even in those folks who DO overlap... We're holding out hope and may return.



This right here says alot and people dont seem to understand it


People who play these games dont play MMOs in general, but they play the MMO of their choice.
A warcraft player isnt going to go out and try every single mmo that comes out only to go back after.
A final fantasy player isnt going to go over to wow just because its more popular.

They are going to find the game they like, and stick to it. This is your average player.

Now of course this doesnt count tourists, who we have pretty much lost all of them already(the people who do in fact play every mmo and are never happy with any of them and move on to the next)
____________________________


#49 Nov 29 2010 at 4:29 PM Rating: Decent
The release of Cataclysm will have absolutely NO impact on the JP player base, and that keeps me chirpy ^^.
#50 Nov 29 2010 at 4:37 PM Rating: Decent
***
2,208 posts
SheffUK wrote:
I turn 13 this Friday!


FTFY
____________________________

FFXI: Maddog - 99 BST, BLM, RDM, WAR


#51 Nov 29 2010 at 4:48 PM Rating: Excellent
*****
11,539 posts
I've already said that I quit WoW -because of- Cataclysm and have no plans to play it. If other people want to play WoW (or LOTRO or DDO or EVE or any other MMORPG for that matter) then that's fine with me.

People are entitled to play the game they like. However, I'm pretty sure that most of the people who would leave FFXIV for WoW have already done so. Anyone that's still playing FFXIV right now is either sticking with it, or will be making their decision to stay or leave based on FFXIV, not based on other MMORPGs. Most of the bandwagon jumpers are knee-jerk decision makers.
____________________________
[ffxisig]55836[/ffxisig]

Mikhalia: and FWIW, my posts are 95% helpful, informative, or funny.
Mikhalia: only 5% or less of my posts are utter crap.
Tyapex: 393 posts of utter crap...
Mikhalia: Sounds about right.
« Previous 1 2
This forum is read only
This Forum is Read Only!
Recent Visitors: 13 All times are in CST
Anonymous Guests (13)