Forum Settings
       
1 2 Next »
This Forum is Read Only

Will FFXIV be a ghost town when...Follow

#52 Nov 29 2010 at 5:18 PM Rating: Good
Sage
***
1,675 posts
I really don't have any plans whatsoever to play WoW again. Although they always seem to get me when I'm on my Winter vacation with that 10 free days thing... I always end up hitting the cap and PvPing, which gets old after a while.

Anyway I'm hoping that SE fills the December update with more stuff so I can stick around.

Generally, and as others have already answered FFXIV is niche and it will always be, regardless if it had a perfect launch or not. There might be a few leaving to WoW or checking it out, but either they're here or they aren't and I hope FFXIV ends up with a strong community regardless.
#53 Nov 29 2010 at 5:36 PM Rating: Default
***
2,202 posts
Torrence wrote:
Quote:
To answer your question, I don't really think it will make a large difference. I see people all over the place on my server and I imagine, those that were leaving for Cata already have gone back to WoW in preparation for it's release.


I agree. The overlap of people who actually play FFXI(XIV) and WoW is smaller than you would think - meaning that the XIV end of the pool doesn't have many WoW gamers to begin with. What Blizzard does or does not do isn't going to affect the 500-750k people who are XI\XIV gamers in the least. The only thing I am worried about is the running of both games leaving a skeleton population in each - I wish they wouldn't have done it this way but it is what it is.

He's also right in that those who are planning on playing Cata are in their accounts right now. Blizzard releases a huge amount of content when they prepare expansions - it's not like everything comes down when Dec 7 hits. It's been building up the last month or so. The world has already cracked, theorycrafters are busy crunching the numbers for new talent specs, we're all reforging our existing gear just counting down til the 7th when the new areas, dungeons, and level cap hits.

However, for all of my grumbling over the past few months I'm still waiting for that miracle patch that will make XIV top again - so even in those folks who DO overlap... We're holding out hope and may return.


Right as in he has an opinion ? not a fact ? and Btw: FFXIV does not has 750k people playing, they "Shipped" 630k unit's, thats not SOLD to customers thats sold to retailers, they did had around 400-500 players at "Release", but that number as we all know has shrunk quite a bit, and to think that out of let's say 350k people, nobody is gonna jump ship is just wishful thinking, i'm not saying FFXIV is gonna be a ghost town, but will people leave once cata come's out ? yeah they will, will people leave wow if this game's get's great ? yes they will too, the difference is that wow can afford to lose 2million players easy, FFXIV cant afford to lose 100k player's
____________________________
MUTED
#54 Nov 29 2010 at 5:37 PM Rating: Decent
***
3,416 posts
Quote:
Btw: FFXIV does not has 750k people playing,


Did he say so? Think again.
____________________________
SE:
Quote:
We really want to compete against World of Warcraft and for example the new Star Wars MMO.

#55 Nov 29 2010 at 5:51 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
**
322 posts
I play both, lol.

FFXIV as my "main" mmo that requires time, dedication, patience and awards you with real MMO accomplishment in the end.

WoW as my "sub" mmo that requires a few hrs a week, no dedication and awards you with everything you could ever dream of for doing jack.

I wouldn't bother with WoW if my partner didn't play it but it does have its place in extremely small doses ;)
____________________________


#56 Nov 29 2010 at 6:03 PM Rating: Excellent
*****
11,539 posts
Ostia wrote:
Torrence wrote:
Quote:
To answer your question, I don't really think it will make a large difference. I see people all over the place on my server and I imagine, those that were leaving for Cata already have gone back to WoW in preparation for it's release.


I agree. The overlap of people who actually play FFXI(XIV) and WoW is smaller than you would think - meaning that the XIV end of the pool doesn't have many WoW gamers to begin with. What Blizzard does or does not do isn't going to affect the 500-750k people who are XI\XIV gamers in the least. The only thing I am worried about is the running of both games leaving a skeleton population in each - I wish they wouldn't have done it this way but it is what it is.

He's also right in that those who are planning on playing Cata are in their accounts right now. Blizzard releases a huge amount of content when they prepare expansions - it's not like everything comes down when Dec 7 hits. It's been building up the last month or so. The world has already cracked, theorycrafters are busy crunching the numbers for new talent specs, we're all reforging our existing gear just counting down til the 7th when the new areas, dungeons, and level cap hits.

However, for all of my grumbling over the past few months I'm still waiting for that miracle patch that will make XIV top again - so even in those folks who DO overlap... We're holding out hope and may return.


Right as in he has an opinion ? not a fact ? and Btw: FFXIV does not has 750k people playing, they "Shipped" 630k unit's, thats not SOLD to customers thats sold to retailers, they did had around 400-500 players at "Release", but that number as we all know has shrunk quite a bit, and to think that out of let's say 350k people, nobody is gonna jump ship is just wishful thinking, i'm not saying FFXIV is gonna be a ghost town, but will people leave once cata come's out ? yeah they will, will people leave wow if this game's get's great ? yes they will too, the difference is that wow can afford to lose 2million players easy, FFXIV cant afford to lose 100k player's


You severely overestimate your numbers to make your point.

As many have said, the bulk of the players who are the type of player who would jump ship from FFXIV for WoW have already decided to do so. I'm sure some may, but not nearly the 100k you seem to think.

WoW is largely a bandwagon game. Regardless of how much or how little anyone likes it and regardless of the quality of the game, the fact remains that nearly all of WoW's advertisements are about how many other people are playing it. Watch nearly any WoW commercial or nearly any WoW ad. The most recent Cataclysm one is pretty much the ONLY ad for WoW that didn't focus on the notion that "Everyone is playing WoW and that's why you should play WoW".

Now I'm not saying this type of marketing is ineffective; consumers are fickle and frequently tend to buy products based solely on "Someone else said it was good". Movies use the same type of advertising; nearly every movie ad and trailer is comprised halfway or more by what OTHER PEOPLE said about the movie, or how much it made in its first week.

I'm not saying WoW is a good game or a bad game because these terms are subjective and opinionated. What I'm saying is: The primary reason WoW is popular is because WoW is popular. It may sound cyclical, but it's true. Consider the amount of people who have quit games because "people are leaving" or people who refuse to even TRY FFXI/FFXIV because "They don't have a lot of players"

Most people are very fickle and will quite readily jump to a more popular product for NO OTHER REASON than "It's more popular". These people generally have very short attention spans and get bored of products quickly. That is why I say that this type of player has ALREADY QUIT and went back to WoW, or whatever else it is they were playing.

Anyone who is left playing FFXIV now is either in it for the long haul regardless of how FFXIV performs, or is hanging in there to see how FFXIV does and will make their decision based on FFXIV, not based on another game.

I'll even make a poll for you.
____________________________
[ffxisig]55836[/ffxisig]

Mikhalia: and FWIW, my posts are 95% helpful, informative, or funny.
Mikhalia: only 5% or less of my posts are utter crap.
Tyapex: 393 posts of utter crap...
Mikhalia: Sounds about right.
#57 Nov 29 2010 at 6:13 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
322 posts
WoW is popular because it is accessible.
____________________________


#58 Nov 29 2010 at 6:16 PM Rating: Good
Sage
***
1,500 posts
Mikhalia the Picky wrote:
I've already said that I quit WoW -because of- Cataclysm and have no plans to play it. If other people want to play WoW (or LOTRO or DDO or EVE or any other MMORPG for that matter) then that's fine with me.

People are entitled to play the game they like. However, I'm pretty sure that most of the people who would leave FFXIV for WoW have already done so. Anyone that's still playing FFXIV right now is either sticking with it, or will be making their decision to stay or leave based on FFXIV, not based on other MMORPGs. Most of the bandwagon jumpers are knee-jerk decision makers.
While I mostly agree with this, I believe there are a few things to consider.

The situation in which FFXIV is right now will encourage people to look around for alternatives, that really has nothing to do with WOW or FFXIV for that matter, is natural to search for an option when you current situation is not really desirable.

On the other hand, SE suspiciously remove the World player count in the last patch, it may be nothing but it's a move that is telling us what they are expecting and in the best case scenario they are not expecting the player count to improve any time soon.

Certainly we won't know for sure until December 7th (or a few days after) but I can say that as an all-time-FF-MMORPG-player with the current situation of FFXIV, I can't help but turn to the competition and wonder "what does they have to #1" and indeed it makes me curious.

Ken
____________________________
"Maybe it means: you're the evil man, and I'm the righteous man, and Mr. Nine-millimeter here, he's the shepherd protecting my righteous *** in the Valley of Darkness." - Jules.
FFXIV: Mabel Rand (Gugnir)
FFXI: Kenage, retired.
K&K forever!,
#59 Nov 29 2010 at 6:41 PM Rating: Excellent
*****
11,539 posts
kenage wrote:
Mikhalia the Picky wrote:
I've already said that I quit WoW -because of- Cataclysm and have no plans to play it. If other people want to play WoW (or LOTRO or DDO or EVE or any other MMORPG for that matter) then that's fine with me.

People are entitled to play the game they like. However, I'm pretty sure that most of the people who would leave FFXIV for WoW have already done so. Anyone that's still playing FFXIV right now is either sticking with it, or will be making their decision to stay or leave based on FFXIV, not based on other MMORPGs. Most of the bandwagon jumpers are knee-jerk decision makers.
While I mostly agree with this, I believe there are a few things to consider.

The situation in which FFXIV is right now will encourage people to look around for alternatives, that really has nothing to do with WOW or FFXIV for that matter, is natural to search for an option when you current situation is not really desirable.

On the other hand, SE suspiciously remove the World player count in the last patch, it may be nothing but it's a move that is telling us what they are expecting and in the best case scenario they are not expecting the player count to improve any time soon.

Certainly we won't know for sure until December 7th (or a few days after) but I can say that as an all-time-FF-MMORPG-player with the current situation of FFXIV, I can't help but turn to the competition and wonder "what does they have to #1" and indeed it makes me curious.

Ken


I agree; my point was that there's a difference between "Leaving FFXIV because you don't like FFXIV and playing WoW instead" vs "Leaving FFXIV because of WoW".

Like you said, it's not that WoW is -causing- someone to quit FFXIV, it's that the people who are left, if they leave, will be leaving because of FFXIV not giving them what they are looking for moreso than WoW doing it.
____________________________
[ffxisig]55836[/ffxisig]

Mikhalia: and FWIW, my posts are 95% helpful, informative, or funny.
Mikhalia: only 5% or less of my posts are utter crap.
Tyapex: 393 posts of utter crap...
Mikhalia: Sounds about right.
#60 Nov 29 2010 at 7:02 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
255 posts
Whatever the case is, I hope we are not getting another influx of 'Quit FFXIV, play WoW' threads we get in like in FFXI forums when WoW came about.
#61 Nov 30 2010 at 1:56 AM Rating: Default
***
2,202 posts
Mikhalia the Picky wrote:
Ostia wrote:
Torrence wrote:
Quote:
To answer your question, I don't really think it will make a large difference. I see people all over the place on my server and I imagine, those that were leaving for Cata already have gone back to WoW in preparation for it's release.


I agree. The overlap of people who actually play FFXI(XIV) and WoW is smaller than you would think - meaning that the XIV end of the pool doesn't have many WoW gamers to begin with. What Blizzard does or does not do isn't going to affect the 500-750k people who are XI\XIV gamers in the least. The only thing I am worried about is the running of both games leaving a skeleton population in each - I wish they wouldn't have done it this way but it is what it is.

He's also right in that those who are planning on playing Cata are in their accounts right now. Blizzard releases a huge amount of content when they prepare expansions - it's not like everything comes down when Dec 7 hits. It's been building up the last month or so. The world has already cracked, theorycrafters are busy crunching the numbers for new talent specs, we're all reforging our existing gear just counting down til the 7th when the new areas, dungeons, and level cap hits.

However, for all of my grumbling over the past few months I'm still waiting for that miracle patch that will make XIV top again - so even in those folks who DO overlap... We're holding out hope and may return.


Right as in he has an opinion ? not a fact ? and Btw: FFXIV does not has 750k people playing, they "Shipped" 630k unit's, thats not SOLD to customers thats sold to retailers, they did had around 400-500 players at "Release", but that number as we all know has shrunk quite a bit, and to think that out of let's say 350k people, nobody is gonna jump ship is just wishful thinking, i'm not saying FFXIV is gonna be a ghost town, but will people leave once cata come's out ? yeah they will, will people leave wow if this game's get's great ? yes they will too, the difference is that wow can afford to lose 2million players easy, FFXIV cant afford to lose 100k player's


You severely overestimate your numbers to make your point.

As many have said, the bulk of the players who are the type of player who would jump ship from FFXIV for WoW have already decided to do so. I'm sure some may, but not nearly the 100k you seem to think.

WoW is largely a bandwagon game. Regardless of how much or how little anyone likes it and regardless of the quality of the game, the fact remains that nearly all of WoW's advertisements are about how many other people are playing it. Watch nearly any WoW commercial or nearly any WoW ad. The most recent Cataclysm one is pretty much the ONLY ad for WoW that didn't focus on the notion that "Everyone is playing WoW and that's why you should play WoW".

Now I'm not saying this type of marketing is ineffective; consumers are fickle and frequently tend to buy products based solely on "Someone else said it was good". Movies use the same type of advertising; nearly every movie ad and trailer is comprised halfway or more by what OTHER PEOPLE said about the movie, or how much it made in its first week.

I'm not saying WoW is a good game or a bad game because these terms are subjective and opinionated. What I'm saying is: The primary reason WoW is popular is because WoW is popular. It may sound cyclical, but it's true. Consider the amount of people who have quit games because "people are leaving" or people who refuse to even TRY FFXI/FFXIV because "They don't have a lot of players"

Most people are very fickle and will quite readily jump to a more popular product for NO OTHER REASON than "It's more popular". These people generally have very short attention spans and get bored of products quickly. That is why I say that this type of player has ALREADY QUIT and went back to WoW, or whatever else it is they were playing.

Anyone who is left playing FFXIV now is either in it for the long haul regardless of how FFXIV performs, or is hanging in there to see how FFXIV does and will make their decision based on FFXIV, not based on another game.

I'll even make a poll for you.


Well if take your poll into consideration, the people that would stay with FFXIV no meter what numbers 15 votes, while the people that plan, are or will play wow numbers around 33, if that's any reflection of how the larger player base feel's well Good Luck! And to simplify the success of Wow, to just well it's popular because it's popular it's pretty silly, considering that wow has the best retention rate out of any P2P MMO in the industry, on another note, why would you not want your MMO to be populated ? considering that the main draw of a MMORPG is to play online with different type's of person's ?

BTW: the 100k number, was just there, to make a point, wich is FFXIV needs to hold and attract every sub they can get, while Wow dosen't.
____________________________
MUTED
#62 Nov 30 2010 at 2:05 PM Rating: Excellent
***
2,010 posts
Quote:
and Btw: FFXIV does not has 750k people playing, they "Shipped" 630k unit's, thats not SOLD to customers thats sold to retailers, they did had around 400-500 players at "Release", but that number as we all know has shrunk quite a bit, and to think that out of let's say 350k people, nobody is gonna jump ship is just wishful thinking,


I know full well how many units shipped and sold of XIV, but I wasn't referring to just XIV with my statement; hence, the XI\XIV qualifier.

With the population of XI hovering at a meaty 500k before XIV released, and at least as many units sold on the XIV side, it's probably safe to assume that we are still collectively hovering somewhere in the 500k range with both games. Those people are Final Fantasy fans through and through, and the 250k I padded were the "new" folks who came to just try things out or people who had left XI because of one reason or another.

Now do I believe SE botched the release? Of COURSE they did. There is no denying that. However, it would be foolish to think that these folks who still identify themselves by the jobs they played XI are going to jump ship just because a game they likely had no interest in to begin with has a new expansion coming out.

It is what it will be, and what it will be, is entirely up to SE. Not Blizzard.
1 2 Next »
This forum is read only
This Forum is Read Only!
Recent Visitors: 13 All times are in CST
Anonymous Guests (13)