Forum Settings
       
This Forum is Read Only

Mega Poll: CataclysmFollow

#52 Nov 30 2010 at 12:30 PM Rating: Decent
Avatar
**
676 posts
You know, I really don't understand why everyone is raving on about Cataclysm as if it's some big event. Treasures of Aht Urghan? That was a big event, adding a plethora of new game modes, new areas, new monsters and some new classes. Wings of the Goddess? That was a big event. Travelling back and forth through time, engaging the beastmen as they try to take over your outposts, fighting new enemies, new classes, new areas, new ways to level up.

Cataclysm just seems like a watered down version of one of FFXI's regular updates, no offence. A few tweaks to existing areas, a few new combinations (rather than any new classes) and a level cap raise. Granted it supposedly added 3500 quests, but given the quality of your average WoW quest, im guessing most involve hunting down random enemies or people.

Don't misunderstand. WoW can't be all bad (11 million subscribers would sorely disagree with me), but im not seeing why Cataclysm should be considered such a big deal when it's less impressive than even one of the FFXI expansions. I don't know. Maybe my standards are just too high?

Edited, Nov 30th 2010 1:32pm by Glitterhands
____________________________

FFXI: Siren Server: Seiowan Lvl 99 WHM, SCH, BLM
FFXIV: Ragnarok Server: Lemuria Glitterhands All Classes 50
#53 Nov 30 2010 at 12:38 PM Rating: Default
***
2,202 posts
Glitterhands wrote:
You know, I really don't understand why everyone is raving on about Cataclysm as if it's some big event. Treasures of Aht Urghan? That was a big event, adding a plethora of new game modes, new areas, new monsters and some new classes. Wings of the Goddess? That was a big event. Travelling back and forth through time, engaging the beastmen as they try to take over your outposts, fighting new enemies, new classes, new areas, new ways to level up.

Cataclysm just seems like a watered down version of one of FFXI's regular updates, no offence. A few tweaks to existing areas, a few new combinations (rather than any new classes) and a level cap raise. Granted it supposedly added 3500 quests, but given the quality of your average WoW quest, im guessing most involve hunting down random enemies or people.

Don't misunderstand. WoW can't be all bad (11 million subscribers would sorely disagree with me), but im not seeing why Cataclysm should be considered such a big deal when it's less impressive than even one of the FFXI expansions. I don't know. Maybe my standards are just too high?

Edited, Nov 30th 2010 1:32pm by Glitterhands


You dont have high standard's, is just fanboyism, oh and yeah there is no time travel in WOW Lmao!
____________________________
MUTED
#54 Nov 30 2010 at 12:50 PM Rating: Excellent
49 posts
My working days/hours are far too random which prevents me from planning ahead my gaming. Becouse of this I can't raid which is the core of WoW (unless you enjoy the PvP) and this said I can't really enjoy WoW. Although I'd like to see the new raids and grind up the levels in WoW I find other games more more appealing. Most likely I'll playing FFXIV instead of WoW.

After all it's just more of the same.
#55 Nov 30 2010 at 12:55 PM Rating: Good
***
1,612 posts
I'll be playing FFXIV for another month or two, giving time for SE to fix animations/effects of CON spells, sp in parties, and implement an AH. If they fail on these three points, I will most likely wait for the release of TERA Online.
____________________________
"Abashed, the devil stood, and felt how awful goodness is..."
#56 Nov 30 2010 at 2:39 PM Rating: Excellent
*
227 posts
I played WoW for about two months, then left. Got tired of the pre-teens in the channels crying all day long. Got tired of the twenty or more Guild invites a day without so much as a "Hello" and the attitudes when you didn't just jump at the chance to 'sign' each Guild Application shoved at you.

The only reason I would consider playing WoW is the Worgen Race, but honestly that is not enough to draw me back.
____________________________
Remember: Some Times the Dragon Wins.



#57 Nov 30 2010 at 3:33 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
**
260 posts
"I want WoW. I can level up. It's high tech, its got the online."

Holy lots of choices Mikhalia :)

Actually I'm waiting to see what happens with December expansion (even if that means paying the month because it comes out after my bill date) I appreciate the changes they made in November, and that has bought them a little time with me.

Assuming its still too much of a mess afterward I will be going back to LOTRO. Haven't played since they went F2P, but still have my acct active to check it out.

Never got into WoW, but I was playing XI hard when I tried it and they were just too different after what I was used to.

-Teeg
____________________________
Why do gnats drop rat tails and lemurs drop gnat wings?
#58 Nov 30 2010 at 4:08 PM Rating: Good
****
9,526 posts
I think this is a good indication that as long as FFXIV keeps improving most of the playerbase isn't going to lured away by cataclysm.

Honestly... I just don't get the draw. If I was going to leave FFXIV I would be looking for a next-gen MMO - not some watery rehash of a six year old game that had dated graphics at release.

I know graphics are not everything, but yeah... FFXIV has already spoiled me in that department. LOTRO looked terribad when I tried it. It is really hard to get over.

Now Tera - that looks interesting. However, I want to play a game where I can do everything on one character.
____________________________
lolgaxe wrote:
When it comes to sitting around not doing anything for long periods of time, only being active for short windows, and marginal changes and sidegrades I'd say FFXI players were the perfect choice for politicians.


#59 Nov 30 2010 at 4:30 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
*
246 posts
Personally, I think the best thing that SE could do would be to keep their development team, but put an experienced "Westerner" in charge of Quality.

Like you said, as long as the game keeps improving more people will start to play, but at some point SE needs to give us something to do besides just fixing what was broken to begin with.
#60 Nov 30 2010 at 4:35 PM Rating: Excellent
*****
11,539 posts
What I'm gathering from the poll results so far:

- 46.9% of voters are seriously planning to stay with FFXIV (The top four choices) and of the alternatives, these players would rather play something other than WoW or nothing at all.

- The bottom of the poll (the people least likely to stick with the game) are the ones who are more inclined to play WoW. The interest in WoW vs "another game" or "nothing" changes balance inversely proportionate to interest in FFXIV.

- It looks like more of the people who are likely to play WoW specifically have already made up their mind that they don't want to play FFXIV anyway (7.7% + 4.0% = 11.7%) versus the people who would play WoW -only- if they couldn't play FFXIV instead (2.3% + 2.3% + 3.7% = 8.3%)

- I should have put in "I will play FFXIV and WoW but prefer FFXIV", "I will play FFXIV and WoW but prefer WoW" and "I will play FFXIV and WoW but like both equally" options; I neglected to consider that the people who plan to play both could skew the results slightly.
____________________________
[ffxisig]55836[/ffxisig]

Mikhalia: and FWIW, my posts are 95% helpful, informative, or funny.
Mikhalia: only 5% or less of my posts are utter crap.
Tyapex: 393 posts of utter crap...
Mikhalia: Sounds about right.
#61 Nov 30 2010 at 5:52 PM Rating: Decent
**
415 posts
Quit WoW because it's become boring. More of the same crap. No way I'm going back to that.
#62 Nov 30 2010 at 5:54 PM Rating: Default
Avatar
***
1,339 posts
SoumaKyou wrote:
Quit WoW because it's become boring. More of the same crap. No way I'm going back to that.


I quit FFXIV because it's boring. More of the same crap. No way I'm going back to that.

...

Isn't it lovely how universal that faulty statement is?
#63 Nov 30 2010 at 5:59 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
**
991 posts
StrijderVechter wrote:
SoumaKyou wrote:
Quit WoW because it's become boring. More of the same crap. No way I'm going back to that.


I quit FFXIV because it's boring. More of the same crap. No way I'm going back to that.

...

Isn't it lovely how universal that faulty statement is?


every MMO is more of the same...

some people just like others more then some

i found wow boring as **** too, but i enjoy ffxiv and i probly will for a long time


it took me 5 years to grow tired of ffxi, but a single year to toss aside wow
____________________________


#64 Nov 30 2010 at 6:00 PM Rating: Decent
**
415 posts
StrijderVechter wrote:
SoumaKyou wrote:
Quit WoW because it's become boring. More of the same crap. No way I'm going back to that.


I quit FFXIV because it's boring. More of the same crap. No way I'm going back to that.

...

Isn't it lovely how universal that faulty statement is?

Good for you? You must feel accomplished now, having realized the fact that people could possibly favor certain things over another.

Faulty statement? I wasn't aware having an opinion over which game I personally currently enjoy more could be faulty.

Or maybe you're just an idiot. I think I'll go with that one. It makes the most sense.

Edited, Nov 30th 2010 7:02pm by SoumaKyou
#65 Nov 30 2010 at 7:02 PM Rating: Decent
17 posts
I'm probably not staying with FFXIV. I will probably quit, but I will be playing something other than WoW.:


I'll probably be quitting soon if the SP in parties isn't increased. I'm looking forward to SW:TOR or Tera.
#66 Nov 30 2010 at 7:16 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
691 posts
For the most part, those who like WOW in its current state have gone back to their soup de jour. Those who have managed to kick the subconscious programming that comes from repeating the same actions every week are moving on to other games for the most part, while some (Not many, I may add..) have stayed with FFXIV.
Some of them have stuck around these forums simply to troll, flame, and incite the general populace into anger. You know, the same thing they most likely do in WOW. I cannot stress how much I hate what WOW has become. Even FFXIV is more fun than it, which is saying something since FFXIV is currently a PvE sandbox, and I've always liked at least having some general idea of what I am going to do every day. As one of the above posters alluded to, Cataclysm is really nothing more than a last stab at a huge profit margin before they stop updating the storyline (or general lack thereof).

Note: I play a large variety of games including indies such as Grotesque Tactics and Reccettear, Action MMOs such as Vindictus, online castle warfare such as Lords Online, MMORPGs such as FFXIV, FFXI, and some free to plays, some facebook games when I am commuting, fighting games such as Blazblue and SF4, and just about every strategy RPG and Single player RPG I can get my hands on.

Edited, Nov 30th 2010 7:21pm by Uryuu
#67 Nov 30 2010 at 7:37 PM Rating: Excellent
**
275 posts
I didn't vote, because my choice would have been the "I plan to play both FFXIV and WoW, but prefer FFXIV" that you mentioned a few posts back. That said, 'prefer' in my case is referring to which one I will dedicate more time to, not necessarily which one I believe to be the technically better game. WoW is great for instant gratification/quick progression, so I'll be playing it on days where I don't feel particularly motivated to grind FFXIV, or when I'm traveling (as I very frequently do to visit my boyfriend) so I can bring my laptop instead of carrying around the hefty rig I have for FFXIV. And yes, Cataclysm has some impact on my choice to play both games. I had been playing WoW up until FFXIV's release and I don't think I would have decided to continue playing it at all if not for Cataclysm.
____________________________

#68 Nov 30 2010 at 8:05 PM Rating: Excellent
*****
11,539 posts
Kaelia88 wrote:
WoW is great for instant gratification/quick progression, so I'll be playing it on days where I don't feel particularly motivated to grind FFXIV, or when I'm traveling (as I very frequently do to visit my boyfriend) so I can bring my laptop instead of carrying around the hefty rig I have for FFXIV.


I would agree with this statement. I started WoW when I tried leveling melee classes past 40. I'd just minimize FFXI (zomg windower) and play WoW with FFXI music off and sound turned way up until I heard "DING". Alt-tab and if I had a decent party, I'd log off of WoW and head to camp.

That was always one thing I disliked about FFXI; the feeling in later levels that "If you're not in a party, there isn't much of a reason to go anywhere". Some days I'd -make- reasons (Hunting down every map for every zone, taking pictures of myself with random NMs that no one camps or cares about, challenging myself to go from point A on map A to point B on map B without looking at my map or teleporting/warping/outpost hopping, etc...) but other days, "Collect 10 wolf pelts" was fine. Eventually I ended up really getting into WoW and spending my time half and half and doing WoW endgame seriously, but it started as "something to do when I have nothing to do".

I'll still periodically set up a private server to play some WoW by myself (solo a raid with infinite health/mana/stamina/rage and insticast abilities with no cooldowns). Pretty fun so long as I don't button mash too hard and crash the server lol
____________________________
[ffxisig]55836[/ffxisig]

Mikhalia: and FWIW, my posts are 95% helpful, informative, or funny.
Mikhalia: only 5% or less of my posts are utter crap.
Tyapex: 393 posts of utter crap...
Mikhalia: Sounds about right.
#69 Dec 01 2010 at 3:20 AM Rating: Good
**
441 posts
To be honest Im not even interested in the new expansion of wow, if anything i will be hitting level 99 while playing ffxi. as for ffxiv only thing i can think of is yawn, close eyes, sleep.

Edited, Dec 1st 2010 4:21am by gaiaxzero
#70 Dec 01 2010 at 5:17 AM Rating: Excellent
****
4,151 posts
Uryuu wrote:
Those who have managed to kick the subconscious programming that comes from repeating the same actions every week are moving on to other games for the most part, while some (Not many, I may add..) have stayed with FFXIV.


Yeah, daily and weekly quests suck! Guildleves are way better. They're like dailies, but you have a 36 hour cooldown so it doesn't get too monotonous... lol

I don't think the anger and frustration comes from WoW trolling. I think it comes from the lack of clean UI, controls, mechanics and content within FFXIV. WoW only pops into the conversation because it's the measuring stick for a successful MMO model. It's fine if you don't like to play it, and neither do I, but you can't overlook the fact that in terms of playability (see above) it is way beyond FFXIV even being aged quite a bit. That said, the new quests in WoW alone pretty much dwarf the 6 years of development put into FFXIV. I'm curious why you think this is a "last stab at profit margin" since they've maintained well over 10 million subs for... how many years now?
____________________________
Rinsui wrote:
Only hips + boobs all day and hips + boobs all over my icecream

HaibaneRenmei wrote:
30 bucks is almost free

cocodojo wrote:
Its personal preference and all, but yes we need to educate WoW players that this is OUR game, these are Characters and not Toons. Time to beat that into them one at a time.
#71 Dec 01 2010 at 10:26 AM Rating: Excellent
***
2,010 posts
Wow - sometimes less is more Mik.

There isn't an option for "I have always played WoW and XI side by side but the coming months will determine whether I am paying one, two, or three MMO subs" so I went with Over the next month - play WoW instead. FFXI looks like it's on life support (as far as server pops) and everyone I used to play with has kind of faded.

That's not to say that I think WoW is the end all of gaming, but it's fun and doesn't stress me out like Final Fantasy games do so there's no reason to quit playing it.

I do think that the poll results are just... could have been a little more clear with fewer options. It's not really a poll about whether Cataclysm will affect XIV subscriptions but more a poll covering almost every possible thing that could affect the numbers. That's not really what the actual question of Cata vs XIV was.



1. I'm leaving FFXIV for Cataclysm.
2. I'm planning to stick with FFXIV - Blizzard's actions have no effect on my decision.
3. I plan to play both games.
4. I won't play either game\other.

Probably would have sufficed and the results would certainly have been clearer.
#72 Dec 01 2010 at 10:39 AM Rating: Decent
**
415 posts
My interest in WoW isn't the gameplay itself. The gameplay is rather monotonous for my tastes. I stuck with WoW because of the lore. Having killed Arthas, however, I was expecting to finally get a stab at Sargeras. Instead, they bring back Deathwing, who for all his former badassery, is just Blizzard's way of saying they want to milk the franchise for all its money before bringing out the big bad and concluding the story. Deathwing's lore simply isn't interesting enough to stick around.

FFXIV has the potential that FFXI had. XI had quite possibly the most amazing storyline of any MMORPG, in my opinion. When I think of the fact that XI's lore was developed only through the game, as opposed to WoW's being developed over a far longer span with multiple games and books, and comparing the complexity of the two, I'd say Square has the huge advantage when it comes to storytelling. The story is what RPG's are for me, and if Square can somehow pull off anything remotely similar to XI's story, then it's got my vote.
#73 Dec 01 2010 at 10:50 AM Rating: Decent
***
1,755 posts
Wow playerbase and FFXIV playerbase are different in many ways I enjoy both WOW and FFXI and really hoped FFXIV could be a FFXI replacement but so far they failed in almost every way I been spending so much more time in FFXI and with the battle addon heroes on the way and 8 jobs to get to 90 don't see much time for grinding in ffxiv for some reason I find new crazy xp and grinding in abyssea way more fun but hey 100k xp in an hour is a breeze now a days every 600xp a kill still makes me tingle especially when multiple mobs die at the same time....
____________________________
....::: All Jobs 99 but GEO and RUN :::....
Genbu [O] Suzaku [O] Seiryu [O] Byakko [O] Kirin [O] In Loving Memory of Kirin RIP 3/6/05
xXIEOSIXx Forums on Shiva



#74 Dec 01 2010 at 11:09 AM Rating: Excellent
*****
11,539 posts
Torrence wrote:
Wow - sometimes less is more Mik.

There isn't an option for "I have always played WoW and XI side by side but the coming months will determine whether I am paying one, two, or three MMO subs" so I went with Over the next month - play WoW instead. FFXI looks like it's on life support (as far as server pops) and everyone I used to play with has kind of faded.

That's not to say that I think WoW is the end all of gaming, but it's fun and doesn't stress me out like Final Fantasy games do so there's no reason to quit playing it.

I do think that the poll results are just... could have been a little more clear with fewer options. It's not really a poll about whether Cataclysm will affect XIV subscriptions but more a poll covering almost every possible thing that could affect the numbers. That's not really what the actual question of Cata vs XIV was.



1. I'm leaving FFXIV for Cataclysm.
2. I'm planning to stick with FFXIV - Blizzard's actions have no effect on my decision.
3. I plan to play both games.
4. I won't play either game\other.

Probably would have sufficed and the results would certainly have been clearer.


Eh. Maybe. I could see your point.
____________________________
[ffxisig]55836[/ffxisig]

Mikhalia: and FWIW, my posts are 95% helpful, informative, or funny.
Mikhalia: only 5% or less of my posts are utter crap.
Tyapex: 393 posts of utter crap...
Mikhalia: Sounds about right.
#75 Dec 01 2010 at 12:30 PM Rating: Default
*
219 posts
I'm in it for the long haul unless SE really screws the game up, in which case I would play something other than WoW. - my choice

I want to ask, who in their right mind would play WoW?

I mean the game is as much boring as FFXIV is right now.

Surely, you can PVP. PVP are nothing other then ganking where someone with amazing twink will absolutely dominate you base on their gear setup.

PVP is meaningless, you just play the same battlefield and it reset. Nothing have gain for your realm and nothing is changed.

Yes, you can level from 80-85! big deal, next expansion, all your new hard earn gears are obselete when you go 86-95.

More new areas open! Big deal, i will just play a new mmorpg where tons of new areas for me to explore.
#76 Dec 01 2010 at 12:54 PM Rating: Decent
***
1,004 posts
i think you put to many options in this poll. all the options that say "well i might stay and if i don't im not playing an MMO ever again" should only be 1 option.

also, wow shouldn't be classed by itself, it should go with the "other" MMO. that would give you a better idea of who will stay or move on to something else.

if you wanted a wow vs ffxiv a simple "cataclysm is coming out, are you going to stay or play wow >stay >wow" would have been sufficient.
#77 Dec 01 2010 at 12:57 PM Rating: Good
11 posts
Hmm..I'd have to do with rolling with 14 unless it really takes a nose dive. I refuse to ever go back to WoW. I played for several yearS and yeah... game went downhill with every expansion and due to the gameplay and ease of most of it... it has attracted so many bad players and really consists of a bad community... BUT anyway. If I play anything I am currently looking at Rift Planes of Telara. Other then that's I gotta admit I think I would be done with MMO unless something out fantasmical rears it's head.
#78 Dec 01 2010 at 12:58 PM Rating: Excellent
*****
11,539 posts
Keysofgaruda wrote:
i think you put to many options in this poll. all the options that say "well i might stay and if i don't im not playing an MMO ever again" should only be 1 option.

also, wow shouldn't be classed by itself, it should go with the "other" MMO. that would give you a better idea of who will stay or move on to something else.

if you wanted a wow vs ffxiv a simple "cataclysm is coming out, are you going to stay or play wow >stay >wow" would have been sufficient.


Regarding your second point, I did it that way intentionally to differentiate people who would rather play WoW than FFXIV versus people who would rather play anything else rather than WoW -or- FFXIV.
____________________________
[ffxisig]55836[/ffxisig]

Mikhalia: and FWIW, my posts are 95% helpful, informative, or funny.
Mikhalia: only 5% or less of my posts are utter crap.
Tyapex: 393 posts of utter crap...
Mikhalia: Sounds about right.
#79 Dec 01 2010 at 2:00 PM Rating: Excellent
*
106 posts
I have no intention of setting down FFXIV anytime in the near future. There is still so much that I have yet to see. So many places to explore and so many mobs yet to kill, lol.

That said, I will play Cata upon release for a bit. I have a few 80 chars that I would like to cap but the main reason for playing Cata will be having the ability to cruise on my flying mounts in Azeroth and Kalimdor.
For 3 years, I've only seen these 2 continents from a ground perspective and it will be interesting to see them while flying around.

Edited, Dec 1st 2010 3:02pm by ThinkDeeply
____________________________


#80 Dec 01 2010 at 5:37 PM Rating: Excellent
***
2,010 posts
wrongfeifong wrote:

I want to ask, who in their right mind would play WoW?

I mean the game is as much boring as FFXIV is right now.

Surely, you can PVP. PVP are nothing other then ganking where someone with amazing twink will absolutely dominate you base on their gear setup.

PVP is meaningless, you just play the same battlefield and it reset. Nothing have gain for your realm and nothing is changed.

Yes, you can level from 80-85! big deal, next expansion, all your new hard earn gears are obselete when you go 86-95.

More new areas open! Big deal, i will just play a new mmorpg where tons of new areas for me to explore.


Comments like this really irritate me and they reek of inexperience and intolerance. Who in their right mind? About ten million folks running the gamut from fit-throwing teenagers to working adults - which includes me and some other folks here on the forums.

While I don't personally do PVP because I prefer team play, PVP isn't just some twink or high level jerk bashing you in unless you chose that environment when you selected your server. On standard servers, PVP is limited to consenting individuals, Battlegrounds and select PVP zones. Please don't spout out nonsense if you really don't know what's going on or if you made a choice that put you in an uncomfortable position.

As far as the Battlefields resetting, nothing being gained or lost, and the general repetitive nature of exploring new areas\getting new gear\obsoleting what's past....

What planet are you living on in which you think that somehow XIV won't follow this same exact formula? Everything we are playing now will eventually be built upon (read: obsoleted) when the first Xpac comes out.

Really - we should all just stop playing games entirely because they are just the same things over and over - control a character, explore, do quests, and get gear. Next game will obsolete this one, so why play at all?

ffs - sorry for the rant. I've been at the rum.
#81 Dec 01 2010 at 7:03 PM Rating: Decent
21 posts
The SE nuthuggers are just as bad as the WOW zombies. But theres no lie here, currently FFXIV is trash.
#82 Dec 01 2010 at 8:48 PM Rating: Decent
***
2,202 posts
wrongfeifong wrote:
I'm in it for the long haul unless SE really screws the game up, in which case I would play something other than WoW. - my choice

I want to ask, who in their right mind would play WoW?

I mean the game is as much boring as FFXIV is right now.

Surely, you can PVP. PVP are nothing other then ganking where someone with amazing twink will absolutely dominate you base on their gear setup.

PVP is meaningless, you just play the same battlefield and it reset. Nothing have gain for your realm and nothing is changed.

Yes, you can level from 80-85! big deal, next expansion, all your new hard earn gears are obselete when you go 86-95.

More new areas open! Big deal, i will just play a new mmorpg where tons of new areas for me to explore.


Somebody is a little butthurt from getting owned in pvp huh ?
____________________________
MUTED
#83 Dec 02 2010 at 10:59 AM Rating: Decent
**
415 posts
Ostia wrote:
wrongfeifong wrote:
I'm in it for the long haul unless SE really screws the game up, in which case I would play something other than WoW. - my choice

I want to ask, who in their right mind would play WoW?

I mean the game is as much boring as FFXIV is right now.

Surely, you can PVP. PVP are nothing other then ganking where someone with amazing twink will absolutely dominate you base on their gear setup.

PVP is meaningless, you just play the same battlefield and it reset. Nothing have gain for your realm and nothing is changed.

Yes, you can level from 80-85! big deal, next expansion, all your new hard earn gears are obselete when you go 86-95.

More new areas open! Big deal, i will just play a new mmorpg where tons of new areas for me to explore.


Somebody is a little butthurt from getting owned in pvp huh ?

Except he has a point.

PVP in WoW takes absolutely no skill at the moment. I could literally carry some complete noob to 2200 arena rating in 3's with a Mage/Rogue/X or H Pally/Warrior/X combo. That gets him full Glad and T2 weapons in about a month.

Battlegrounds are mindless. With a ranged character like a Hunter, I could pick people off while the dumb DK's and Warriors tank for me, which rockets me up to the top of the kill chart. Objectives? Easy. Just run with a group of 3-5 people to cap a flag.

PVP in WoW died as soon as Battlegrounds were introduced, and ESPECIALLY when Arena was introduced. ****, they even removed the EPIC Alterac Valley battles that lasted from maintenance to maintenance. 7 DAYS worth of fighting the same battle, and they've reduced that to a 45 minute (or something. haven't done BG's in a while) time limit. It's changed from the only Battleground worth playing if you wanted the feeling of actually fighting a war, into a PVE "who-can-kill-the-other-team's-commander-first" race.

There are no more players who run around the world map without the help of Resilience, running around and winning 1v3's and 1v5's against equally-geared people. All that's left now are Arena kiddies thinking they're good because they can roll with the FOTM 2's or 3's comp and faceroll their way to 2400-2600 ratings (even easier on bad battlegroups). Kids who think they're good because they have a pocket healer with them at all times, whose idea of being amazing at PVP is bursting down the other team's healer first.

Yeah... it's still hilarious to me that people still think PVP in WoW means anything anymore.

Edited, Dec 2nd 2010 12:29pm by SoumaKyou
#84 Dec 02 2010 at 11:39 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
**
812 posts
I could care less about Cataclysm. I've never been a fan of WoW, a new expansion won't change that.
____________________________
Abaddon Active Player Roster
- All your Fabul Sever are belong to us! -


#85 Dec 02 2010 at 3:01 PM Rating: Decent
***
2,202 posts
SoumaKyou wrote:
Ostia wrote:
wrongfeifong wrote:
I'm in it for the long haul unless SE really screws the game up, in which case I would play something other than WoW. - my choice

I want to ask, who in their right mind would play WoW?

I mean the game is as much boring as FFXIV is right now.

Surely, you can PVP. PVP are nothing other then ganking where someone with amazing twink will absolutely dominate you base on their gear setup.

PVP is meaningless, you just play the same battlefield and it reset. Nothing have gain for your realm and nothing is changed.

Yes, you can level from 80-85! big deal, next expansion, all your new hard earn gears are obselete when you go 86-95.

More new areas open! Big deal, i will just play a new mmorpg where tons of new areas for me to explore.


Somebody is a little butthurt from getting owned in pvp huh ?

Except he has a point.

PVP in WoW takes absolutely no skill at the moment. I could literally carry some complete noob to 2200 arena rating in 3's with a Mage/Rogue/X or H Pally/Warrior/X combo. That gets him full Glad and T2 weapons in about a month.

Battlegrounds are mindless. With a ranged character like a Hunter, I could pick people off while the dumb DK's and Warriors tank for me, which rockets me up to the top of the kill chart. Objectives? Easy. Just run with a group of 3-5 people to cap a flag.

PVP in WoW died as soon as Battlegrounds were introduced, and ESPECIALLY when Arena was introduced. ****, they even removed the EPIC Alterac Valley battles that lasted from maintenance to maintenance. 7 DAYS worth of fighting the same battle, and they've reduced that to a 45 minute (or something. haven't done BG's in a while) time limit. It's changed from the only Battleground worth playing if you wanted the feeling of actually fighting a war, into a PVE "who-can-kill-the-other-team's-commander-first" race.

There are no more players who run around the world map without the help of Resilience, running around and winning 1v3's and 1v5's against equally-geared people. All that's left now are Arena kiddies thinking they're good because they can roll with the FOTM 2's or 3's comp and faceroll their way to 2400-2600 ratings (even easier on bad battlegroups). Kids who think they're good because they have a pocket healer with them at all times, whose idea of being amazing at PVP is bursting down the other team's healer first.

Yeah... it's still hilarious to me that people still think PVP in WoW means anything anymore.

Edited, Dec 2nd 2010 12:29pm by SoumaKyou


To be fair Pvp in wow requires more skill than anything this game requires ATM. I agree on the alterac valley nerf, on the resilience not so, resilience is avaiable to everybody, and nobody beats 1v5 with exact equal gear, thats just BS, 1Vs2 sure depending on class, on the BG side of things, those are team oriented if a guy goes againts you and 2 other players, he is gonna die unless he outgears everysingle one of you by QUITE A LOT, and is as pally, or you guys are just noobs lol
____________________________
MUTED
#86 Dec 03 2010 at 10:44 AM Rating: Decent
**
415 posts
Ostia wrote:
To be fair Pvp in wow requires more skill than anything this game requires ATM. I agree on the alterac valley nerf, on the resilience not so, resilience is avaiable to everybody, and nobody beats 1v5 with exact equal gear, thats just BS, 1Vs2 sure depending on class, on the BG side of things, those are team oriented if a guy goes againts you and 2 other players, he is gonna die unless he outgears everysingle one of you by QUITE A LOT, and is as pally, or you guys are just noobs lol

Resilience was one of the worst additions to PVP. The PVP game has changed from the "I'll kill you in whatever gear I have," to "Wait... wait... don't hurt me yet. Let me get my Resilience gear out." Resilience is available to everybody, sure. The highest tiers of Resilience, however, is what imbalances the game. Before, you could PVP just as well in blues as someone in purples, as long as you had the skill. Now, it doesn't matter, as long as you have more Resilience than the other guy.

As for the 1v3 and 1v5, it makes me wonder if you only started playing WoW after the onset of Arena. No offense.

Back in the pre-Arena days, there were tons of videos of people from every class utilizing every single one of their abilities to come out victorious in 1v3 and 1v5 situations, against people in the same non-resilience raid gear (today's videos only consist of some scrub thinking he's good because he's wearing full Resilience and ganking people in PVE gear). Some of the best Hunters, Mages, Druids, Priests, Warlocks, and Rogues have been able to do this. It involved chain CC's, kiting, and using every single resource available to them. You could probably still find videos somewhere.
#87 Dec 03 2010 at 5:18 PM Rating: Decent
***
2,202 posts
SoumaKyou wrote:
Ostia wrote:
To be fair Pvp in wow requires more skill than anything this game requires ATM. I agree on the alterac valley nerf, on the resilience not so, resilience is avaiable to everybody, and nobody beats 1v5 with exact equal gear, thats just BS, 1Vs2 sure depending on class, on the BG side of things, those are team oriented if a guy goes againts you and 2 other players, he is gonna die unless he outgears everysingle one of you by QUITE A LOT, and is as pally, or you guys are just noobs lol

Resilience was one of the worst additions to PVP. The PVP game has changed from the "I'll kill you in whatever gear I have," to "Wait... wait... don't hurt me yet. Let me get my Resilience gear out." Resilience is available to everybody, sure. The highest tiers of Resilience, however, is what imbalances the game. Before, you could PVP just as well in blues as someone in purples, as long as you had the skill. Now, it doesn't matter, as long as you have more Resilience than the other guy.

As for the 1v3 and 1v5, it makes me wonder if you only started playing WoW after the onset of Arena. No offense.

Back in the pre-Arena days, there were tons of videos of people from every class utilizing every single one of their abilities to come out victorious in 1v3 and 1v5 situations, against people in the same non-resilience raid gear (today's videos only consist of some scrub thinking he's good because he's wearing full Resilience and ganking people in PVE gear). Some of the best Hunters, Mages, Druids, Priests, Warlocks, and Rogues have been able to do this. It involved chain CC's, kiting, and using every single resource available to them. You could probably still find videos somewhere.


So facerolling in your keyboard to use every spell in your book to own everything in sight was skillful, yet now that you need to know what skill to use with who and when is for scrubs ? Great logic.

____________________________
MUTED
#88 Dec 03 2010 at 5:33 PM Rating: Default
**
608 posts
Age of Conan

Final Fantasy xiv

that all!


Quote:
To be fair Pvp in wow requires more skill than anything this game requires ATM.

equipment is how good you are in wow bigger numbers mean your gonna win, and banging keys aint skill i can just mash buttons and win if my equip is better. other games your equip is just a added perk where you need skill. **** they have rotations for you to use your ablitys & spells so you can keep them mashing lol.




Edited, Dec 3rd 2010 6:37pm by mitmystria
#89 Dec 03 2010 at 5:48 PM Rating: Default
***
2,202 posts
mitmystria wrote:
Age of Conan

Final Fantasy xiv

that all!


Quote:
To be fair Pvp in wow requires more skill than anything this game requires ATM.

equipment is how good you are in wow bigger numbers mean your gonna win, and banging keys aint skill i can just mash buttons and win if my equip is better. other games your equip is just a added perk where you need skill. **** they have rotations for you to use your ablitys & spells so you can keep them mashing lol.
Edited, Dec 3rd 2010 6:37pm by mitmystria


mention me one MMORPG where there is no key mashing involved :) Also a gear progression game where gear play's a mayor part ? No ****? oh and no you cant win by facerolling unless the other guy is in green's and you are decked in wrathful, in wish case so what ?
____________________________
MUTED
#90 Dec 03 2010 at 5:50 PM Rating: Decent
**
415 posts
Ostia wrote:
So facerolling in your keyboard to use every spell in your book to own everything in sight was skillful, yet now that you need to know what skill to use with who and when is for scrubs ? Great logic.

There is no such class that can faceroll a 1v3 or 1v5. If you consider proper timing of when to CC, proper use of cooldowns, strategically using terrain and line-of-sight to your advantage, and popping consumables at the right moments, to be faceroll, then you're delusional. If you meet anyone who can faceroll 30-40 unique keybinds in a single fight, please introduce me. I want to meet him.

I also like how you seem to think PVP now is harder than it was before. You clearly have no idea what you're talking about. You obviously don't PVP much and should never post your opinion on anything PVP-related ever again.

Edited, Dec 3rd 2010 6:52pm by SoumaKyou
#91 Dec 03 2010 at 6:14 PM Rating: Decent
**
763 posts
My answer isn't listed. I'd just go back to FFXI if they screwed FFXIV up even more. &^%%$ WoW. &^%* it right in the ^&*(ing %ss!

Mo
#92 Dec 03 2010 at 6:20 PM Rating: Default
***
2,202 posts
SoumaKyou wrote:
Ostia wrote:
So facerolling in your keyboard to use every spell in your book to own everything in sight was skillful, yet now that you need to know what skill to use with who and when is for scrubs ? Great logic.

There is no such class that can faceroll a 1v3 or 1v5. If you consider proper timing of when to CC, proper use of cooldowns, strategically using terrain and line-of-sight to your advantage, and popping consumables at the right moments, to be faceroll, then you're delusional. If you meet anyone who can faceroll 30-40 unique keybinds in a single fight, please introduce me. I want to meet him.

I also like how you seem to think PVP now is harder than it was before. You clearly have no idea what you're talking about. You obviously don't PVP much and should never post your opinion on anything PVP-related ever again.

Edited, Dec 3rd 2010 6:52pm by SoumaKyou


Hmm Ok this are your own words...
Quote:
Back in the pre-Arena days, there were tons of videos of people from every class utilizing every single one of their abilities to come out victorious in 1v3 and 1v5 situations, against people in the same non-resilience raid gear (today's videos only consist of some scrub thinking he's good because he's wearing full Resilience and ganking people in PVE gear). Some of the best Hunters, Mages, Druids, Priests, Warlocks, and Rogues have been able to do this. It involved chain CC's, kiting, and using every single resource available to them. You could probably still find videos somewhere.


You seem to contradict yourself there pal, how about you STFU, and get back at me when you have an idea of what you actually talking about :)

Oh and about PVP being hard back in vanilla, You are delusional, as a rogue i could use vanish again and again with no cool down or i could use a CC with no dimishing returns and CC you to death :) So yeah it was SO HARD back then.
____________________________
MUTED
#93 Dec 03 2010 at 6:59 PM Rating: Decent
**
415 posts
Ostia wrote:
You seem to contradict yourself there pal, how about you STFU, and get back at me when you have an idea of what you actually talking about :)

Oh and about PVP being hard back in vanilla, You are delusional, as a rogue i could use vanish again and again with no cool down or i could use a CC with no dimishing returns and CC you to death :) So yeah it was SO HARD back then.

You obviously have a hard time comprehending words, so let me simplify it for you.

Pre-resilience:

Gear = gear = gear = gear.

Skill played a larger part because gear was negligible. A guy in blues could kill a guy in epics, and vice versa. It was MUCH harder to 1v3 and 1v5 because you didn't have Resilience as a buffer for your mistakes. THAT's why it was impressive to watch someone kill an entire party by himself.

Post-resilience.

Current Gladiator gear >>> old Gladiator gear >>>>>>>>>> Raiding gear > Blues

Gear plays a MAJOR part in PVP now. No one EVER does world PVP anymore because no one cares about some guy in full Resilience ganking some guy in blues. It takes no skill. The reason no one cares someone can take out a whole party by themselves is because they can only do it against a party of people in full PVE non-Resilience gear, which takes no skill. The only PVP left is a bunch of guys circle jerking each other in a small room (Arena), a ****-poor excuse for PVP which people ignore due to having PVE main objectives (Battlegrounds), or running around dueling under Dalaran and typing in Trade chat how amazing they are at dueling.

As far as Rogues go, your description of Rogue PVP is laughable. They were OP up to 1.5, and then they became balanced. Sinister Strike didn't scale with weapon damage, which offset the huge Ambush burst. The racials were MUCH better, as were abilities, which offset stunlocks (15% chance to resist stuns as an Orc, and classes had talents that brought their stun resist up to 30%, with Hunters being able to resist 45% of all stuns). CC to death? Only if I'm AFK.

Yeah, no. PVP more, then talk. Until then, stop trying to sound like you actually know what you're talking about.

Edited, Dec 3rd 2010 8:01pm by SoumaKyou
#94 Dec 03 2010 at 8:15 PM Rating: Decent
***
2,202 posts
SoumaKyou wrote:
Ostia wrote:
You seem to contradict yourself there pal, how about you STFU, and get back at me when you have an idea of what you actually talking about :)

Oh and about PVP being hard back in vanilla, You are delusional, as a rogue i could use vanish again and again with no cool down or i could use a CC with no dimishing returns and CC you to death :) So yeah it was SO HARD back then.

You obviously have a hard time comprehending words, so let me simplify it for you.

Pre-resilience:

Gear = gear = gear = gear.

Skill played a larger part because gear was negligible. A guy in blues could kill a guy in epics, and vice versa. It was MUCH harder to 1v3 and 1v5 because you didn't have Resilience as a buffer for your mistakes. THAT's why it was impressive to watch someone kill an entire party by himself.

Post-resilience.

Current Gladiator gear >>> old Gladiator gear >>>>>>>>>> Raiding gear > Blues

Gear plays a MAJOR part in PVP now. No one EVER does world PVP anymore because no one cares about some guy in full Resilience ganking some guy in blues. It takes no skill. The reason no one cares someone can take out a whole party by themselves is because they can only do it against a party of people in full PVE non-Resilience gear, which takes no skill. The only PVP left is a bunch of guys circle jerking each other in a small room (Arena), a ****-poor excuse for PVP which people ignore due to having PVE main objectives (Battlegrounds), or running around dueling under Dalaran and typing in Trade chat how amazing they are at dueling.

As far as Rogues go, your description of Rogue PVP is laughable. They were OP up to 1.5, and then they became balanced. Sinister Strike didn't scale with weapon damage, which offset the huge Ambush burst. The racials were MUCH better, as were abilities, which offset stunlocks (15% chance to resist stuns as an Orc, and classes had talents that brought their stun resist up to 30%, with Hunters being able to resist 45% of all stuns). CC to death? Only if I'm AFK.

Yeah, no. PVP more, then talk. Until then, stop trying to sound like you actually know what you're talking about.

Edited, Dec 3rd 2010 8:01pm by SoumaKyou


This is my reaction to your post:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lrF5x1OSJuQ&feature=related

Now really are you serious ? watch world of roguecraft episode 1, a rogue with no gear, lvl 1 daggers, and just a tabard, could own anybody, with or w/o pvp gear, thats not skill that's a broken class period. And epic gear back then was FU OP! PVP gear was released, if you where a raider, and did BG's you would melt face period. Being able to stunlock somebody back to back with no dimishing returns was not skill it was a broken mechanic any way you see it, just as much as warlocks fear, wich had no DR back then either, thats not skill, thats a mechanic thats broken :)
____________________________
MUTED
#95 Dec 03 2010 at 8:37 PM Rating: Good
***
3,530 posts
Mikhalia the Picky wrote:

I'll still periodically set up a private server to play some WoW by myself (solo a raid with infinite health/mana/stamina/rage and insticast abilities with no cooldowns). Pretty fun


I... I have a hard time picturing a less-fun pass-time... so do you just, like, look at the colors of your instant-cast spells, or what? o_O
____________________________
"... he called to himself a wizard, named Gallery, hoping by this means to escape the paying of the fifteen hundred crowns..." (Machen 15)

"Thus opium is pleasing... on account of the agreeable delirium it produces." (Burke para.6)

"I could only read so much for this paper and the syphilis poem had to go."
#96 Dec 03 2010 at 8:38 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
1,842 posts
The one thing I do like about Cataclysm is the advancement of an old world. By changing the core world they show that 6 years have gone by in Azeroth. Doing this makes rerolling a new character from level new and fresh instead of feeling like same old routine. In terms of FFXIV I would hope that if/when Garlean Emprie invades we have our world change to follow suit.
____________________________
FFXIV Dyvid (Awaiting 2.0)
FFXI Dyvid ~ Pandemonium (Retired)
SWTOR Dy'vid Legacy - Canderous Ordo
#97drkchakra, Posted: Dec 03 2010 at 11:11 PM, Rating: Sub-Default, (Expand Post) WoW just feels like a waste of time. It sucks up your time with no real achievement prolly cause it's too easy.
#98 Dec 04 2010 at 1:28 AM Rating: Decent
*
156 posts
I have already quit and am playing warhammer till star wars,hoping it will be good.
____________________________
KitsurubamiSouzahara wrote:
This is all just a fanboy civil war. Some are hurt that SE gave them such a crap game, the others are hurt that anyone would call it crap.
#99 Dec 04 2010 at 2:50 AM Rating: Decent
*
71 posts

drkchakra wrote:
WoW just feels like a waste of time. It sucks up your time with no real achievement prolly cause it's too easy.

oo god lol, this had me rolling. so wow feels like a waste of time because no achievements...how does ffxiv make you feel then? and to nut hanger complaining about broken wow pvp....even if that aspect is broken....that one doesn't hold a candle to there 1000 things broken in this "game".
#100 Dec 04 2010 at 6:17 AM Rating: Decent
**
349 posts
Resubscribed to WoW in the last few says, saw that the game completly revamped right before Cata released. Decided it was a wasted 15$. I am happy I didn't purchase Cata yet, that would have been a huge loss of money.
#101 Dec 04 2010 at 8:52 AM Rating: Good
***
2,202 posts
MisterRandy wrote:
Resubscribed to WoW in the last few says, saw that the game completly revamped right before Cata released. Decided it was a wasted 15$. I am happy I didn't purchase Cata yet, that would have been a huge loss of money.


I'm curious, why did you feel that it was a waste of money ? the entire world was revamped, all starting areas where upgraded, with new quest line's, and a way better storyline, better rewards for low lvl toons, etc etc. Reading your post, i guess you played back in the day, what is missing from back then thats not better now?

Btw: in no way i'm trying to argue or w/e about your opinion i just want to know out of curiosity.
____________________________
MUTED
This forum is read only
This Forum is Read Only!
Recent Visitors: 18 All times are in CST
Anonymous Guests (18)