Forum Settings
       
« Previous 1 2
This Forum is Read Only

MMORPG revolution. Why FFXIV isn't following?Follow

#1 Nov 29 2010 at 11:19 PM Rating: Default
*
219 posts
I have been wondering about this, by no mean i am trying to say FFXIV should become a "easy" or "everything is given"

It seems to me, all the MMORPG are heading toward one point. Making "Time efficient", whenever i play FFXIV, i have this feeling, the game is just a grind because there is no time efficiency. I have so much time complain about the game as i walk around from point A to B.

Here is how i see it, If SE going to give us limited multiply levequests every 36 hours, then why can't they just combine these multi-quest into one big quest, while making it one hour worth and give like 50% of a level and scale as it goes up. I wouldn't mind log in just to play an hour, I am already paying you a month why would you care if i stay online ALOT or not? It isn't like i would interact with other while i am doing leves.

Anything different from getting the same sp/xp from 1 big quest vs multi quest? It become a grind when i have to restart again every time i finish a quest, do all the walking all over again and all to a new objective. In the end, it is just wasting my time.

While having multi-levequest, i personally hate the fact we do the SAME objective. Kill XX. Do they think we enjoy killing XX number of enemies every leve in the same area?Cut us a break, Give us some variation. December patch is going to be the critical part because if i still see these kill XX on every quest or craft XX, i am going to go nuts and uninstall this.

None of these really making the game easier or wow-like, it is all about making a game more time efficient. FFXI become a lot more fun not because the game have more contents, it is because the game become more time efficient when you have choices and can forgone similar opportunity cost. You won't have time to complain about how long the run from sandoria to jeuno when you can just go from Whitegate.

SE still didn't learn how to make a good MMORPG. More contents doesn't mean anything when there is only one path reaching it. what we need is Multiply paths (not about different class or crafting or combat) but different "choices".

For example: WoW offer you many form of level, you can grind, Quest( and quest are fun because they are DIFFERENT), you can rest XP in an inn, or group up for a dungeon, or AOE level with a team or PVP your way up. (did i mix up warhammer with wow?).


Choices is what make a game fun, you like simcity? why? You have choices to build whatever you like.
#2 Nov 29 2010 at 11:30 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
**
322 posts
Most MMOs are trying to emulate WoW because WoW makes lots of money due to its accessibility and how simple it is. It helped bring people who didn't play MMOs or even games in general onto the scene and that is why it is as popular as it is.

However there is still money in niche markets for players who enjoy particular styles and this is where FFXIV succeeds. Particular things that alot of people complain about, other people enjoy. I love the wards, the repair system, the need for crafting and how crafting is actually viable and plenty of other aspects other people complain about constantly because it adds feeling and immersion to the world, in my opinion.

What SE need to do is either decide to cater to one audience or another at this point and focus on that because they aren't doing well in either right now. Either nerf the game to oblivion and remove tasks that the majority thinks are too inconvenient to cater to the casual crowd or leave the game as it is to cater to the semi-hardcore. Ultimately I believe SE lack focus and have forgotten their forte, creating RPGs for a niche market. If they lose sight of this, they're going to lose their loyal fanbase as well, which is already happening with the amount of ******** I see about SE and how people "miss squaresoft".

Before we start arguing about what playstyle is better, i'd like to remind you of Justin Beiber, currently one of the most searched for people on the internet. Now, numbers speak for themselves and they suggest he is popular, but i'm sure alot of people wouldn't agree with that.

____________________________


#3 Nov 29 2010 at 11:35 PM Rating: Decent
**
445 posts
You don't follow when you THINK you are leading.

rephrased so that ppl can read the obvious.

Edited, Nov 29th 2010 10:52pm by timmyofalex
____________________________
Timfung (Alexander) 75WHM72RDM46PUP Cooking81 (retired)

http://lodestone.finalfantasyxiv.com/rc/character/status?cicuid=1662475
#4 Nov 30 2010 at 12:16 AM Rating: Decent
Avatar
***
1,339 posts
timmyofalex wrote:
You don't follow when you are leading.


Leading a broken train into a derelict station when you have a perfectly serviceable passenger aircraft back at the base is nothing to be proud of.
#5 Nov 30 2010 at 12:48 AM Rating: Default
**
445 posts
StrijderVechter wrote:
timmyofalex wrote:
You don't follow when you are leading.


Leading a broken train into a derelict station when you have a perfectly serviceable passenger aircraft back at the base is nothing to be proud of.


Apperently you don't read.

I am just staying one fact. And this is pretty obvious.

SE is acting as if it is still leading the industry. We saw it in 11, now again here.
And that's why SE is not following.

Did I imply it is a positive thing? Really did I? Or you did?

Edited, Nov 29th 2010 10:56pm by timmyofalex
____________________________
Timfung (Alexander) 75WHM72RDM46PUP Cooking81 (retired)

http://lodestone.finalfantasyxiv.com/rc/character/status?cicuid=1662475
#6namasy, Posted: Nov 30 2010 at 1:19 AM, Rating: Sub-Default, (Expand Post) lol you whine like a girl
#7 Nov 30 2010 at 1:29 AM Rating: Decent
***
2,202 posts
Because this game has yet to have a personality, all it has going for it, it's graphics and the FF Brand name, oh and the promise's of actually resembling a game in a future, other than that there is nothing going for it, we can argue if the game just hold's to enough subscription's to make up for the developing cost in the long run it's a success, but really ? spending 25+ million's(Need confirmation) on developing a game in 2010, just to to have nearly the same sub's as FFXI a game that came out almost 8 years ago is not a success <.<
____________________________
MUTED
#8 Nov 30 2010 at 1:40 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
***
1,536 posts
I'd be willing to bet that the PS3 will be this game's saving grace and the community will grow from there. Honestly at this point in time, AFTER the November patch, this game is a few chocobos, a few quests, a few airships, and a lot more content away from being pretty **** good...along with tweaks to the SP and party play (all which seem to be coming soon - my bet this stuff is mainly covered in the December patch) I sometimes think to myself "why the **** am I logged in?" but today I played the game for a whopping 5 hours straight and enjoyed it a lot - I think small things can go a long way here, this game isn't far off from being pretty fun and I think its already heading in the right direction.
____________________________
MUTED
#9 Nov 30 2010 at 1:45 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
*
225 posts
timmyofalex wrote:
StrijderVechter wrote:
timmyofalex wrote:
You don't follow when you are leading.


Leading a broken train into a derelict station when you have a perfectly serviceable passenger aircraft back at the base is nothing to be proud of.


Apperently you don't read.

I am just staying one fact. And this is pretty obvious.

SE is acting as if it is still leading the industry. We saw it in 11, now again here.
And that's why SE is not following.

Did I imply it is a positive thing? Really did I? Or you did?

Edited, Nov 29th 2010 10:56pm by timmyofalex


I never even thought of it in that manner. That was a truly commendable and thought provoking perspective of what SE is doing, and I applaud you for it. (Not being sarcastic)

In any case.

While I do praise Square Enix for their over the top in being different from the crowd, I do feel they made certain aspects of the game unnecessarily difficult for the sake of being time consuming. There are many areas of the game that I love such as the Armory system, Leve quest (With Guardian's Favor), Harvesting/Crafting mini-games, Retainer/Ward system, story driven game, great customization with each character, and a few other things that I cannot think of.

But for every good thing, there seems to be at least 1 or 2 bad things that I just do not understand what their purpose is in the game, or lack thereof. Some examples are; Traveling, feeling forced into crafting, dauntingly high grind at later levels, lack of class identity, mob placement, lack of sidequest, ect.

It isn't so much of following the crowd with 90% of the bad points, it's just pure inconvenience. Spending time ranking up a class so you can repair weapons on your main class, having very little options for travel, inability to search for players, unable to invite people to party/linkshell unless they are in proximity; are all just inconveniences and don't make the game more fun, immersive, or challenging. At least in my opinion.

My point is, I love that Square does not follow the mainstream games and they are trying to make their own brand of MMORPG. But, if Square wants to make a better game, they need to make what they have more accessible. They have a golden apple of a game going on here, but they want everyone to climb the tree to get it, when they could just offer a ladder. (That was the obligatory real life analogy that has to be in my rant for the sake of it)
#10 Nov 30 2010 at 2:28 AM Rating: Good
***
3,416 posts
Quote:
They have a golden apple of a game going on here, but they want everyone to climb the tree to get it, when they could just offer a ladder.


I don't really understand. SE has all of those features on the way. SE is following the "revolution" on their own way. Right now that's all we can ask from them, because the past is the past and does not change.

I don't really understand the OP either. You already have more choices than you did at the start of XI.

You can quest grind, alone or in a group. You can mob grind, alone or in a group. You can do it in any city you want to, there are no faction limitations. You can level solely by crafting or gathering (why does this not count? Seriously). There is no reason to assume the same trend won't continue later- but as we surely know, the game lacks content, so that also translates to fewer options to level with.

Yes, on some things SE is behind (but following). On some things they are ahead, or simply taking a different approach. That's all there is to it.
____________________________
SE:
Quote:
We really want to compete against World of Warcraft and for example the new Star Wars MMO.

#11 Nov 30 2010 at 2:46 AM Rating: Decent
*****
11,576 posts
I log into the game and I'm met with a wall of complaints from LS mates who can't read ******* patch notes. "OMFG WHY IS BOLD SYNTHESIS BROKEN?!?!" "OMFG WHAT HAPPENED TO SP!?!?!?"

And the usual snivel this, whine that. Things shouldn't be this way, things should be that way. Why did SE do it this way? Why didn't they do it that way?

And then I come here and every day 2-3 numpties have to write a full page essay on what's wrong with FFXIV and blah blah blah blah.

I'm just trying to enjoy the game. It's awfully **** hard to do when your only option to avoid the ******** and negativity every ELSE spews is to minimize your chat window and stay away from the forums.

God you guys suck sometimes.
#12 Nov 30 2010 at 3:03 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
2,801 posts
SE wanted to be different.

SE made FFXIV.

SE now has to explain this fiasco to the stock holders.

Look, its great to think outside the box. But first you need to make sure what you need isn't in the box.
____________________________
WoW -- Zaia -- Dragonmaw -- Mage 80 BABY! Alchemy 450
Also... Hunter 62, Rogue 52, Warrior 66, Warlock 43, Death Knight 70, Shaman Who Cares? ;)

FFXI -- Caia -- Retired/Deleted -- Blm 75, Alchemy 97
Pandimonium server - Rank 10 - Bastok

Zaela Rdm -- 35, Alchemy 45 -- Forced into retirement because I didn't have the right kind of credit card. Hope it was worth 18 bucks a month, SE.

#13 Nov 30 2010 at 8:25 AM Rating: Decent
***
1,083 posts
Aurelius wrote:
I log into the game and I'm met with a wall of complaints from LS mates who can't read @#%^ing patch notes. "OMFG WHY IS BOLD SYNTHESIS BROKEN?!?!" "OMFG WHAT HAPPENED TO SP!?!?!?"

And the usual snivel this, whine that. Things shouldn't be this way, things should be that way. Why did SE do it this way? Why didn't they do it that way?

And then I come here and every day 2-3 numpties have to write a full page essay on what's wrong with FFXIV and blah blah blah blah.

I'm just trying to enjoy the game. It's awfully **** hard to do when your only option to avoid the bullsh*t and negativity every ELSE spews is to minimize your chat window and stay away from the forums.

God you guys suck sometimes.


I think SE should give you your own server to play on.

Also I'll ask the admins on ZAM to create a subforum for you called "FFXIV Happy Joy Joy" and you can have full moderator control over it. You can delete posts showing any negativity while you clap your hands with glee.
____________________________
Wada: "There may be some areas of testing that were lacking or too rigid."
#14 Nov 30 2010 at 9:05 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
283 posts
Aurelius wrote:
I log into the game and I'm met with a wall of complaints from LS mates who can't read @#%^ing patch notes. "OMFG WHY IS BOLD SYNTHESIS BROKEN?!?!" "OMFG WHAT HAPPENED TO SP!?!?!?"

And the usual snivel this, whine that. Things shouldn't be this way, things should be that way. Why did SE do it this way? Why didn't they do it that way?

And then I come here and every day 2-3 numpties have to write a full page essay on what's wrong with FFXIV and blah blah blah blah.

I'm just trying to enjoy the game. It's awfully **** hard to do when your only option to avoid the bullsh*t and negativity every ELSE spews is to minimize your chat window and stay away from the forums.

God you guys suck sometimes.


Ever stop and think that its not the "numpties" as you put it, But SE who is to blame for all the negativity? It was them who sent this game out to market way too soon. It was SE who did not do what was needed to please the masses. It was not the player base that screwd the pooch here.

people seem to think that just becuse they are having fun that every one else should as well. And if not they should STFU and go home. But some of us remember that we payed $$ for this game. Some of us feel that we payed for our right to *****. And being that I payed $80 for my copy of the game I feel I have at least a good month or more of ******** to do.

Some of it is a hope that my ******** mite help to fix the game. But lets tell the truth here. Most of it is that SE ****** me off. They took a game that I had high hopes for and turned it into a steeming pile of crap. Then they had the nerv to charge me to come play said steaming pile of crap. Now I want to ***** with other people who feel the same as I do. And no mater how many times you or any one trys to say this is forum for fans I know that there are plenty of people here who feel the same way I do.

And not all of the negativity is a bad thing. some of the post talking about this game become prity darn good. Take a look at "Whats keeping you from playing" I think that one turend out prity good. When I posted it I was afraid that it would turn into a flame fest. But it has not. Its mostly people talking about whats keeping them from playing the game and what could be done to fix it.
#15 Nov 30 2010 at 9:10 AM Rating: Good
*
164 posts
I really hope that SE continues on it's current path. As others above have posted, I love the crafting / repair system and how the economy is developing.

The November patch was a HUGE improvement. I dont think that's debateable at all. Imagine what December will give us and then on to 2011.

We definitely need more content, but I'm satisfied with the grind right now....
____________________________
Irishclass777 said: crafting is crafting no matter the game just because crafting is a job in ffxiv don't it much change much.


#16 Nov 30 2010 at 9:19 AM Rating: Default
6 posts
rikkuotaku wrote:
Aurelius wrote:
I log into the game and I'm met with a wall of complaints from LS mates who can't read @#%^ing patch notes. "OMFG WHY IS BOLD SYNTHESIS BROKEN?!?!" "OMFG WHAT HAPPENED TO SP!?!?!?"

And the usual snivel this, whine that. Things shouldn't be this way, things should be that way. Why did SE do it this way? Why didn't they do it that way?

And then I come here and every day 2-3 numpties have to write a full page essay on what's wrong with FFXIV and blah blah blah blah.

I'm just trying to enjoy the game. It's awfully **** hard to do when your only option to avoid the bullsh*t and negativity every ELSE spews is to minimize your chat window and stay away from the forums.

God you guys suck sometimes.


I think SE should give you your own server to play on.

Also I'll ask the admins on ZAM to create a subforum for you called "FFXIV Happy Joy Joy" and you can have full moderator control over it. You can delete posts showing any negativity while you clap your hands with glee.


*snickers*

This post just made my day... ^^
#17 Nov 30 2010 at 9:37 AM Rating: Good
***
3,416 posts
Quote:
people seem to think that just becuse they are having fun that every one else should as well.


I don't know about people, but I have this weird... assumption that if someone doesn't like a particular game, he won't play it.

Of course things get different when there's Yakuza holding a gun on your head forcing you to play the game in question. But I haven't come across a situation like that before. In all cases, there's a guy who hates a game but plays it anyway.

It is certainly intriguing. Makes me ponder the state of humanity.
____________________________
SE:
Quote:
We really want to compete against World of Warcraft and for example the new Star Wars MMO.

#18 Nov 30 2010 at 9:37 AM Rating: Good
***
1,112 posts
Ostia wrote:
Because this game has yet to have a personality.


Agree. I think XIV is following in similar footsteps to XI. In your first few play weeks on XI you have no idea whats going on really, world wise. You're at one of three cities, fighting cute animals and the occasional beastman and slowly moving outwards. You've done a couple of quests for your nation but they haven't really alluded to anything. It was quite a while (for me, anyway) before the real scene started to emerge and I was drawn into the world in conflict thing.

For me, XIV is in a state what XI was at the beginning. Theres cute monsters, random quests, a little bit of story line but nothing really tying together. There are some cool/evil looking beasties out there and that whole Mor Dona (sp?) place is very intriguing. Currently though there isn't much happening. No beastmen invading, no evil empire coming, no mass-conflict to be swept into. Its all very nameless enemies at the moment. There are very small hints on things to come though.

In other MMOs, like WoW LotRO Aion etc, each zone you're in has an underlying story arc that you progress through as you quest in the zone. In this way, these small bits keep you wanting to play because you want to see what happens next. XI and XIV don't work this way, in that the zones and the story arc are by large seperate, so no amount of leveling/exploring will advance your game story. I am not saying the earlier method is better than the latter at all because XI has given me some of the fondest memories of any MMO. What I mean is that the games "feel" is not likely to take the style of WoW et al but XI. Given time/new features we'll hopefully be sucked into a story but until it kicks off, there isnt much to XIV apart from the game mechanics themselves.
____________________________
To endanger the soul endangers all,
when the soul is endangered it must become a Warrior.
#19 Nov 30 2010 at 9:51 AM Rating: Good
49 posts
I'm starting to think WoW generated a new generation of mmorpg players.
This generation basically thinks every MMORPG should be like WoW but with different models/scenery/raids.

FFXIV isn't trying to be the next WoW. Some may say it's a new "FFXI" but even that's not true.
FFXIV is game of it's own which differs from the mainstream. The only problem for SE was that the game had to be rushed out and it failed badly on basic things i.e UI sluggishness. However they are doing a good job fixing the basics and working really hard to deliver new updates.

I do hope they improve the game on various levels but at the same time I hope they don't sell their souls to these generic mmorpg players (no offense intended).
#20 Nov 30 2010 at 10:22 AM Rating: Good
***
1,636 posts
GoldenArrow wrote:
I'm starting to think WoW generated a new generation of mmorpg players.
This generation basically thinks every MMORPG should be like WoW but with different models/scenery/raids.

FFXIV isn't trying to be the next WoW. Some may say it's a new "FFXI" but even that's not true.
FFXIV is game of it's own which differs from the mainstream. The only problem for SE was that the game had to be rushed out and it failed badly on basic things i.e UI sluggishness. However they are doing a good job fixing the basics and working really hard to deliver new updates.

I do hope they improve the game on various levels but at the same time I hope they don't sell their souls to these generic mmorpg players (no offense intended).


Wow definately generated a new population of players. Before wow NA mmo population was like 1-2 million, and I think thats a bit generous. Today it has around 13 million people who have, or currently play MMOs. Wow made this a genre for people who want a game and not a lifestyle.

What I don't really get is your last sentence. You don't want them to cater to the casual players, the "everymans". However, SE has said from the beginning they want the game to be accessible to that group. and not in the "haha we'll take your subscription money while you solo to 20 and then grind the next 50 levels over 2 years on leves", but legitimately wanted to make the game playable by everyone, regardless of time. If thats a deal breaker for you, you should have known from the beginning thats how it was 'intended' to go. Unfortunately thats not really how it went, and because the game ended up being so grindy and old school like EQ and early FFXI, people who prefered those have jumped on this game and are lashing out at those who want to see the game resemble something like the sales pitch described.
____________________________


#21 Nov 30 2010 at 10:40 AM Rating: Default
Scholar
**
691 posts
LOL..WOW did NOT cause a MMO revolution. MMORPGS had been popular in Korea and China far before WOW showed up. In fact, 85% or so of WOW's population hails not from the western world, but the East, and the game itself plays nearly identical to most Eastern MMOs released around the same time or before it. At best, there's around 3m Legit accounts that do not come from the Eastern world, minus a million of those being multiboxers and RMT. Fact is, WOW is not a step forward for the genre, it is actually taking baby steps backwards to the point where the game will be more Diablo-like than Diablo 3.

Which, it turns out, is exactly what the player base they cater to prefers, oddly enough.

Edited, Nov 30th 2010 10:43am by Uryuu
#22 Nov 30 2010 at 11:13 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
367 posts
I hear WoW this and AION that. Each game has their merits and their faults. No game is perfect and sometimes I swear that some people think that the others are perfect. Well, maybe they are... to a certain gaming style of play. That style of play is not suited IMHO to the standard player of the FF genre of games.

Yes FFXIV is more casual friendly, however as stated by SqEnix they are not trying to recreate WoW or replace it. They are attempting to create a new game that will stand on its own. A game that will cater to both classes of player. If they are attempting to create a new game, then why would they follow in the footsteps of another?

I am not some FF fanboy, I recognise that there are some glaring faults to this game, but I have also played WoW and FFXI and both of those games had glaring faults too. Both of those games started with some serious hiccups and we complained and moaned back then and we are doing so now. However, complaining and moaning are going to get us nowhere. I run a linkshell in this game. When my players complain about something I expect them to also come up with a solution or at the very least a suggestion on how one might deal with or fix the issue.

Saying X, Y, and/or Z is broken is one thing and does nothing to correct the situation. Suggesting a possible course of action to fix it is not only novel, but progressive.
____________________________
FFXIV (Fabul Server)
Co-Lead of the Kupo Knights LS
Mocarth Dawgwylf
Conjurer & Blacksmith
Fruvix Dawgwylf
Marauder, Tradeskills Unknown

#23 Nov 30 2010 at 11:19 AM Rating: Good
*
67 posts
I'm really sorry but I completely disagree :(

Quote:
It seems to me, all the MMORPG are heading toward one point. Making "Time efficient", whenever i play FFXIV, i have this feeling, the game is just a grind because there is no time efficiency. I have so much time complain about the game as i walk around from point A to B.


This game is built around casual play, making it an anti-time sync. You dictate how much traveling you do. You have anima, you NOW have favorite locations, you have a speedy 36 hour leve reset to keep time constrained loggers from having to constantly grind out their levels. Now if you are playing the game 4+ hours everynight and are concerned about time sync, you are in essence the exception to what this game was built around and will have to deal with the dynamics of FFXIV and their huge maps.

They give you a ton of tools to keep this casual. If you thought there would be a game where you would timelessly travel the entire map without having to devote some personal effort into it, I don't think you will be too happy with any game out there. Even WoW required you to run to a flight location at some point to claim it. Why fill the world with monsters and hidden coves if people are going to bypass it all and warp somewhere. They haven't released airships and chocobos because they don't want it to be overly easy at release, they are forcing people to adventure and learn the risk of travel before rewarding them with ease of bypassing the dangers.

As for the xp dynamic, you have solo play, group play, leve play, battlewardens. Now yes, they don't have instanced zones like WoW or pvp, but if you purchased a FF title for pvp, you sadly are in the wrong already. Now, saying this game doesn't provide as many xp options is a negligible point right now because the idea this is an unfinished game is more than hammered into the minds of the players and the producer. Content is always after release, a game company will never release content fully developed because they wouldn't ever stop working on the game before release, granted this game is more premature.

They need a reason to keep people coming back and playing, that is the content and they need to market it so they make money off of it. Which is why they sell expansions.

Also, your argument about this being a time sync is contradictive to wanting all these things to devote your time to. I am confused at your argument. They make traveling easy, anima. They make exping simple, but yes, can *and will* be expanded upon, and they make solo/group play viable, with some fixing.

This is not meant to flame or insult the original poster, I am just providing my opinion in a counter-argument. I really don't understand the origin of these arguments. I fully think this game is catered to the casual player and is actually excessively benefiting the non-time sync aspect of the MMO. People are only complaining about a time sync because they have exhausted their quick options too quickly. SE said this was a casual friendly game, expect that people who put in more time are gonna find things more tedious, thus...time consuming.

~Skye

*This is just an opinion, take that into consideration. Sorry if offends; thank you for agreeing. Reply for a discussion, thank you!*

Edited, Nov 30th 2010 1:06pm by SkyeAyatari
____________________________


#24 Nov 30 2010 at 12:34 PM Rating: Good
***
3,530 posts
wrongfeifong wrote:
Making "Time efficient", whenever i play FFXIV, i have this feeling, the game is just a grind because there is no time efficiency.


Yeah, because if there's one thing that gets me immersed in a game world, it's ensuring that my playtime is strictly parsed and divided up into the most time-efficient processes.

That way, I can play the game for the minimal amount of time while maximizing my numerical progress; I can eliminate the feeling of involvement in the game world itself, and focus instead on making my bar fill for one hour every 36 hours. Who wants a world to explore? Who cares about a storyline?

I know that my greatest fear is that I'll, someday, lose myself in a game world -- that I'll wander about, talking to NPCs, taking screenshots of the unique sights, and enjoy myself without adhering to either a prefabricated schedule or a notion of persistent forward momentum! -- and find that, once my swoon ends, the time has passed and my bar has not filled even fifty percent!
____________________________
"... he called to himself a wizard, named Gallery, hoping by this means to escape the paying of the fifteen hundred crowns..." (Machen 15)

"Thus opium is pleasing... on account of the agreeable delirium it produces." (Burke para.6)

"I could only read so much for this paper and the syphilis poem had to go."
#25 Nov 30 2010 at 12:44 PM Rating: Decent
***
2,202 posts
Uryuu wrote:
LOL..WOW did NOT cause a MMO revolution. MMORPGS had been popular in Korea and China far before WOW showed up. In fact, 85% or so of WOW's population hails not from the western world, but the East, and the game itself plays nearly identical to most Eastern MMOs released around the same time or before it. At best, there's around 3m Legit accounts that do not come from the Eastern world, minus a million of those being multiboxers and RMT. Fact is, WOW is not a step forward for the genre, it is actually taking baby steps backwards to the point where the game will be more Diablo-like than Diablo 3.

Which, it turns out, is exactly what the player base they cater to prefers, oddly enough.

Edited, Nov 30th 2010 10:43am by Uryuu


And your fact's are ? China has around 4-5 out of the 12mil sub's currently, how does that makes up 80% ?
____________________________
MUTED
#26 Nov 30 2010 at 12:49 PM Rating: Good
*
220 posts
Ya the quests are really a bore... Not sure why x camp is under attack by sheep or rabbits? Omg protect the grass from being grazed upon??

It should be a quest to help some weaver npc gather his required wool from sheep, maybe lead to quest progression. Ya until there's content like this I'm logging on like twice a week at most.
#27 Nov 30 2010 at 1:05 PM Rating: Decent
***
2,202 posts
GoldenArrow wrote:
I'm starting to think WoW generated a new generation of mmorpg players.
This generation basically thinks every MMORPG should be like WoW but with different models/scenery/raids.

FFXIV isn't trying to be the next WoW. Some may say it's a new "FFXI" but even that's not true.
FFXIV is game of it's own which differs from the mainstream. The only problem for SE was that the game had to be rushed out and it failed badly on basic things i.e UI sluggishness. However they are doing a good job fixing the basics and working really hard to deliver new updates.

I do hope they improve the game on various levels but at the same time I hope they don't sell their souls to these generic mmorpg players (no offense intended).


This will always be the battle between the old hardcore school of MMO's and the new generation of players, the oldie's(wich btw i played EQ,EQ1,EQOA,SWG,Planetside,RO, and random korean MMo's, i could fit into this one)want MMO's to go back to their earlier root's, anything besides that is casual, kiddy carter, holding hands etc etc.

They are still stuck in the late 90's where it was "Cool" to grind from lvl 1 to cap and do a few quest in between, when you had to spend 4-6 hours camping a set of spawns till you dinged a level, when you had to camp a specific boss, in the hopes that you could claim it before another player or guild did, when a few no lifers had the power to dictate who get's what boss, because they would camp his spawn 24/7 not letting others get a shot at it, that's what they miss, and are crazy about getting back, when you had to basically LIVE online, because back then bosses spawned in the open world, and if i top guild had it on farm well tough luck getting a shot a it, because they would have alt's on their spawn location's and they would log every so often to check on it, to them that was SKILLS!

You see all this hate on WOW and how easy it is, is all BS, back in the day, boss fights were not Harder, they where stupid easy, all you needed was 40+ people to gather at said location and zerg the boss, that was it, there where no mechanics to fights back then, all the hard parts where gathering enough people to take down the boss, and actually getting the boss before another guild did, that was it and whoever says otherwise dint play back then or is lying.
____________________________
MUTED
#28 Nov 30 2010 at 1:15 PM Rating: Decent
***
3,530 posts
KujaKoF wrote:
Wow made this a genre for people who want a game and not a lifestyle.


Oo, that's a great point! And precisely why I can't stand almost every MMO.

I want something that I can become completely obsessed over, something in which I can lose myself, and even project onto the real world with humorous and fanatical effect. A game that organizes itself just to be a game (like what the OP desires, like WoW, and like most every other MMO) can neither provide such feelings, nor can it hold my interest.
____________________________
"... he called to himself a wizard, named Gallery, hoping by this means to escape the paying of the fifteen hundred crowns..." (Machen 15)

"Thus opium is pleasing... on account of the agreeable delirium it produces." (Burke para.6)

"I could only read so much for this paper and the syphilis poem had to go."
#29 Nov 30 2010 at 1:56 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
278 posts
Edit: I need to stop posting from my IPod, the autocorrect is killing me.

I haven't made a snarky comment in weeks so I guess I'll just pitch in here.

WoW is not an MMORPG in the sense of what the original MMOs tried to accomplish. It is essentially a RPG with multiplayer capabilities. The same can be said for most modern MMORPG's including FFXI and FFXIV ( although XIV seems to be trying to branch out to the MMO landscape). If you want A true MMO try oldschool Ultima, pre CU SWG, EVE Online, Infinity Universe, Darkfall or Mortal Online, or Wurm Online. These are the closest you will get to a true MMO.

Saying WoW brought a revolution to MMORPGs is patently false. Not only is it not in the same genre beyond being played online, but it does exactly what it's predecessors, EQ1 etc., did but with a better marketing campaign. An MMO is about sharing a open World with other players. The more you partition the world into theme parks, the more you "game-ify" your game the more it becomes a single player Game with multiplayer capabilities.

Thats not to say games like WoW are bad, there is clearly a lot of people who have fun with these games, but it drags down the entire MMO market when WoW is seen as the template for a good MMO. FFXIV doesn't copy WoW most likely because SE wants to make their own game with it's own merits.

Either way the market has chosen to follow the WoW pattern for better or for worse. Let's hope FFXIV can dig out it's own raison d'etres.

To the person who commented they want a game not a lifestyle: play a game then? If you want to just jump in make some solo progress and become the hero of Azeroth why don't you play a single player game? Even the idea of playing solo goes against everything an MMO (past or present) stands for. There are very few MMOs you have to obsess over however.

Edited, Nov 30th 2010 3:05pm by Wloire
#30 Nov 30 2010 at 2:11 PM Rating: Default
If it's massive, multiplayer, and an online role playing game, it fits into MMO. These games are essentially all the same, though you could argue against PSO, Diablo II, etc since you constantly log into a new room to play out the maps. Guild Wars also follows that path somewhat.

Edited, Dec 2nd 2010 11:28am by Montsegurnephcreep
____________________________

#31 Nov 30 2010 at 2:37 PM Rating: Decent
*
211 posts
This whole topic started with a bad mentality to begin with... If everyone just followed and copied other people, games would suck, period.

SE, for better or worse, is doing things their own way. Some people will be extremely grateful to have a game that isn't just another clone of all the other games they already don't like. Some people will not like it, but they can go play all those other games.

It's a win/win for the industry. A more diverse selection of games just means that more people will enjoy gaming with mmo's. If FFXIV is not for you, go find a game that is, rather than asking them to change it to your liking.

And yes, to respond to the OP's issues, the game is still very young... Things will be addressed in time. More leves are on the way, more content will come, mass loads of endgame is very likely, chocobos, airships, and company transport will reduce travel time, in addition to the teleport system.

And idk about you, but as a PvE player, I was hugely disappointed with WoW's content. Each character was so shallow, and I don't want to make a bunch of other characters either... I like the one char multiple jobs style that SE uses. The quests were really not that great, there were a few templates that just repeated endlessly... I'm not saying they were worse than leves, but they weren't really much better either. The endgame just plain paled compared to FFXI, which SE is likely to reiterate, in the sense of a diverse selection of content, etc. And of course the community is much nicer, for whatever reason... Probably due to the cultural diversity.

So yeah, you may not like where FFXIV is going, but I can assure you there is an audience for it. I have a ls with dozens of players who love the game, and in time, SE I'm sure will expand upon it greatly. It's not hard to see where they are going with it though, so if it's not for you, save yourself the time and jump ship now. I'm just in favor of everyone having fun, but there are enough other games that are following the "MMORPG revolution" so that you shouldn't have trouble finding one. FFXUV is great for me, because for a while, I thought the "MMORPG revolution" meant the death of my mmo hobby.

Of course, this is a highly subjective discussion... To each their own though.
____________________________
PvR fun!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-KYqooGHd2g




#32 Nov 30 2010 at 3:28 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
1,104 posts
I actually agree with the OP.

Because XIV is all grind at its core, most players will quickly - sometimes even unconsciously - strive for the most efficient means of completing tasks. This seems like a natural reaction to me. When progression is measured through ranks that can only be gained by performing the same task repeatedly, efficiency becomes a primary concern even if you don't want it to be.

I often feel as though I am fighting against the game, in an effort to play smarter and make the most of my time.
____________________________

Melaahna Valiera
#33 Nov 30 2010 at 3:42 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
*
189 posts
tylerbee wrote:
Most MMOs are trying to emulate WoW because WoW makes lots of money due to its accessibility and how simple it is. It helped bring people who didn't play MMOs or even games in general onto the scene and that is why it is as popular as it is.

However there is still money in niche markets for players who enjoy particular styles and this is where FFXIV succeeds. Particular things that alot of people complain about, other people enjoy. I love the wards, the repair system, the need for crafting and how crafting is actually viable and plenty of other aspects other people complain about constantly because it adds feeling and immersion to the world, in my opinion.

What SE need to do is either decide to cater to one audience or another at this point and focus on that because they aren't doing well in either right now. Either nerf the game to oblivion and remove tasks that the majority thinks are too inconvenient to cater to the casual crowd or leave the game as it is to cater to the semi-hardcore. Ultimately I believe SE lack focus and have forgotten their forte, creating RPGs for a niche market. If they lose sight of this, they're going to lose their loyal fanbase as well, which is already happening with the amount of ******** I see about SE and how people "miss squaresoft".

Before we start arguing about what playstyle is better, i'd like to remind you of Justin Beiber, currently one of the most searched for people on the internet. Now, numbers speak for themselves and they suggest he is popular, but i'm sure alot of people wouldn't agree with that.




there is so much truth to this post, i wanna cry.

~hardcore gamer gone semi-hardcore cuz of life.
____________________________
FFXIV: Kendall Lawliet, Lindblum Server

____________________________________
FFXI: Inch 75 bst / 75 thf / 75 blm
and others not worth mentioning.
_______________________________________________

Sore WOW . Level 49 Undead Mage. Boulderfist Server.
__________________________________________________

Inchy:SMN 69/WHM 46
#34 Nov 30 2010 at 4:20 PM Rating: Default
Scholar
**
691 posts
Ostia wrote:

And your fact's are ? China has around 4-5 out of the 12mil sub's currently, how does that makes up 80% ?

Try again. Combined populations of US, OC, and EU realms are roughly 2.8-3m.
Combined populations of TW and CN realms were well over 9m last count.

http://www.warcraftrealms.com/census.php?serverid=-1&factionid=-1&minlevel=80&maxlevel=80&servertypeid=-1
Assuming an average of 1 level 80 per player counted. Some may have more, others may have less. The safest bet, however, is 1 per actual customer, minus 500k-1m botters, hackers, cheaters, goldfarmers, multiboxers, and other shady folk.

Edited, Nov 30th 2010 4:23pm by Uryuu
#35 Nov 30 2010 at 4:24 PM Rating: Default
Scholar
**
991 posts
Uryuu wrote:
Ostia wrote:

And your fact's are ? China has around 4-5 out of the 12mil sub's currently, how does that makes up 80% ?

Try again. Combined populations of US, OC, and EU realms are roughly 2.8-3m.
Combined populations of TW and CN realms were well over 9m last count.


there is alot more to the numbers blizzard(or should i say activision) gives us when they say they have "12million" playing the game, and i think thats the problem
people will always assume the majority is where they are

im still curious if they are even giving us the active subscriber count, or what exactly they are counting at all, after all, this is activision involved with it(i always respected blizzard, but i know what activision is capable of) and i wouldnt put it past them to count every trial, every character, etc etc, as a "subscriber" when giving out these numbers just to make themselves look better
____________________________


#36 Nov 30 2010 at 4:49 PM Rating: Good
*****
11,539 posts
Vedis wrote:
Uryuu wrote:
Ostia wrote:

And your fact's are ? China has around 4-5 out of the 12mil sub's currently, how does that makes up 80% ?

Try again. Combined populations of US, OC, and EU realms are roughly 2.8-3m.
Combined populations of TW and CN realms were well over 9m last count.


there is alot more to the numbers blizzard(or should i say activision) gives us when they say they have "12million" playing the game, and i think thats the problem
people will always assume the majority is where they are

im still curious if they are even giving us the active subscriber count, or what exactly they are counting at all, after all, this is activision involved with it(i always respected blizzard, but i know what activision is capable of) and i wouldnt put it past them to count every trial, every character, etc etc, as a "subscriber" when giving out these numbers just to make themselves look better


To be fair, I'm pretty sure SE's magical 500-550k player count was probably exaggerated, too. By that same token, I'm pretty sure that Blizzard is inflating their number to get that 12 million or they're factoring other things like trial accounts or disabled accounts.

I think what would interest me in terms of a fair comparison between MMORPGs is "Total number of unique subscribers (not accounts, subscribers) that have logged on at least once in the past 14 days". I think this would be a far more accurate way of comparing MMORPG populations more realistically.

I'm pretty confident that WoW would still come out on top but I'd be surprised if counting by the above logic didn't bump that 12-15 million down to 6 or 7 worldwide.

I admit I'm pulling those numbers out of my own ***, but I'd be really curious to see Blizzard's source for their numbers. Ditto for SE's FFXI population; everyone could tell that the population was declining as servers went from 3.5-4k active players online down to 3, to 2, and on some servers to 1k per server until servers started merging. That SE had 500k active subscriptions throughout this entire period is extremely dubious to me.

I'd also be curious to know what the ACTUAL numbers are for how many active players FFXIV still has ("Active" meaning "Has logged on at least once in the last 14 days" as I mentioned earlier) so that people could stop throwing around "Well they SOLD 630K copies, so that means {insert facts and percentages pulled from *** here}" and get some real numbers.

Not really a fan of companies exaggerating or hiding data to try to make themselves look better (or not as bad), although I accept that nearly all companies do it, so what are ya gonna do, eh?
____________________________
[ffxisig]55836[/ffxisig]

Mikhalia: and FWIW, my posts are 95% helpful, informative, or funny.
Mikhalia: only 5% or less of my posts are utter crap.
Tyapex: 393 posts of utter crap...
Mikhalia: Sounds about right.
#37 Nov 30 2010 at 4:54 PM Rating: Default
Scholar
***
1,536 posts
Quote:

It's a win/win for the industry. A more diverse selection of games just means that more people will enjoy gaming with mmo's. If FFXIV is not for you, go find a game that is, rather than asking them to change it to your liking.


This is true but some people like certain aspects of certain games and don't like other aspects of said games so they want their ideal game and hence we get complaints left and right. In my case, for example, I absolutely dislike RPGs, be it western or eastern developed, but I love Final Fantasy and have played all of them since I got introduced to the franchise with FFX. I like them because they are different each time but the lore is the same, and I expected more of the same from FFXIV. FFXIV's biggest problem isn't that its a bad game. period. Its that it was released too early - I think this game is going to become great fairly quickly here.
____________________________
MUTED
#38 Nov 30 2010 at 5:22 PM Rating: Default
***
2,202 posts
Uryuu wrote:
Ostia wrote:

And your fact's are ? China has around 4-5 out of the 12mil sub's currently, how does that makes up 80% ?

Try again. Combined populations of US, OC, and EU realms are roughly 2.8-3m.
Combined populations of TW and CN realms were well over 9m last count.

http://www.warcraftrealms.com/census.php?serverid=-1&factionid=-1&minlevel=80&maxlevel=80&servertypeid=-1
Assuming an average of 1 level 80 per player counted. Some may have more, others may have less. The safest bet, however, is 1 per actual customer, minus 500k-1m botters, hackers, cheaters, goldfarmers, multiboxers, and other shady folk.

Edited, Nov 30th 2010 4:23pm by Uryuu


Vedis wrote:
Uryuu wrote:
Ostia wrote:

And your fact's are ? China has around 4-5 out of the 12mil sub's currently, how does that makes up 80% ?

Try again. Combined populations of US, OC, and EU realms are roughly 2.8-3m.
Combined populations of TW and CN realms were well over 9m last count.


there is alot more to the numbers blizzard(or should i say activision) gives us when they say they have "12million" playing the game, and i think thats the problem
people will always assume the majority is where they are

im still curious if they are even giving us the active subscriber count, or what exactly they are counting at all, after all, this is activision involved with it(i always respected blizzard, but i know what activision is capable of) and i wouldnt put it past them to count every trial, every character, etc etc, as a "subscriber" when giving out these numbers just to make themselves look better


They only count active account's, that's people shelling 14.99 on a monthly basis
____________________________
MUTED
#39 Nov 30 2010 at 5:29 PM Rating: Default
***
2,202 posts
Uryuu wrote:
Ostia wrote:

And your fact's are ? China has around 4-5 out of the 12mil sub's currently, how does that makes up 80% ?

Try again. Combined populations of US, OC, and EU realms are roughly 2.8-3m.
Combined populations of TW and CN realms were well over 9m last count.

http://www.warcraftrealms.com/census.php?serverid=-1&factionid=-1&minlevel=80&maxlevel=80&servertypeid=-1
Assuming an average of 1 level 80 per player counted. Some may have more, others may have less. The safest bet, however, is 1 per actual customer, minus 500k-1m botters, hackers, cheaters, goldfarmers, multiboxers, and other shady folk.

Edited, Nov 30th 2010 4:23pm by Uryuu


If you check that same page, each population of all USA servers is 2.8-2.9m and all euro is 2.7-2.8mil how is that roughly 3mil total ?

plus they account characters, not account's.

also i found this googling http://www.mmorpgrealm.com/world-of-warcraft-statistic-in-2010/ pretty interesting
____________________________
MUTED
#40 Nov 30 2010 at 5:41 PM Rating: Decent
**
451 posts
Uryuu wrote:
Ostia wrote:

And your fact's are ? China has around 4-5 out of the 12mil sub's currently, how does that makes up 80% ?

Try again. Combined populations of US, OC, and EU realms are roughly 2.8-3m.
Combined populations of TW and CN realms were well over 9m last count.

http://www.warcraftrealms.com/census.php?serverid=-1&factionid=-1&minlevel=80&maxlevel=80&servertypeid=-1
Assuming an average of 1 level 80 per player counted. Some may have more, others may have less. The safest bet, however, is 1 per actual customer, minus 500k-1m botters, hackers, cheaters, goldfarmers, multiboxers, and other shady folk.

Edited, Nov 30th 2010 4:23pm by Uryuu



I am guessing you like googled "WoW population" or something and got to wc realms.

So this website collects info from an addon you have to DL and run in the game. And/or write in info. If you look at some of the realms on the website every once in awhile you will see a server that says is 99% Alliance, and 1% Horde, (if you've ever played the game you know how silly that is). This is how many people bothered to DL the client, and possibly if you have the client, it may log poeple you examine. Whatever the case, any numbers on this website are as accruate and scientific as the ones I can pull out of my rear-end.

Edited, Nov 30th 2010 6:43pm by KristoFurwalken
#41 Nov 30 2010 at 6:01 PM Rating: Decent
26 posts
Fact:

FFXI server population > FFXIV's

My theory:

We already have one hard game many people enjoy and many people wanted FFXIV to be a casual game like WOW. SE said it would be casual and it's not. They lost many people on this point.

FFXIV also has no appeal to WOW players or FFXI players.

Compared to FFXI, FFXIV has the same challenge level, or greater. However, it has much less content and more repetitive game play. It has prettier graphics though. Sadly most people looking for a challenge could care less about that.

Compared to WOW, FFXIV is a far, far greater time sink.

This is why I think FFXIV will always have a much less crowd for it that either games. You have two types of people in the world. A: people who have time to sink and enjoy a challenge to get rewards. B: people who have many things to do. Their lives already have challenges and they just want rewards. FFXIV with no rewards appeals more to group A but group A already has FFXI.
#42 Nov 30 2010 at 6:34 PM Rating: Decent
49 posts
Have to remind that system requirements play a huge part with FFXIV aswell.
FFXI/WoW runs pretty much on every pc out there. While FFXIV needs quite a hefty rig to enjoy it's greatest feature (=graphics) at the moment.
#43 Nov 30 2010 at 6:42 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
691 posts
Ostia wrote:
Uryuu wrote:
Ostia wrote:

And your fact's are ? China has around 4-5 out of the 12mil sub's currently, how does that makes up 80% ?

Try again. Combined populations of US, OC, and EU realms are roughly 2.8-3m.
Combined populations of TW and CN realms were well over 9m last count.

http://www.warcraftrealms.com/census.php?serverid=-1&factionid=-1&minlevel=80&maxlevel=80&servertypeid=-1
Assuming an average of 1 level 80 per player counted. Some may have more, others may have less. The safest bet, however, is 1 per actual customer, minus 500k-1m botters, hackers, cheaters, goldfarmers, multiboxers, and other shady folk.

Edited, Nov 30th 2010 4:23pm by Uryuu


If you check that same page, each population of all USA servers is 2.8-2.9m and all euro is 2.7-2.8mil how is that roughly 3mil total ?

plus they account characters, not account's.

also i found this googling http://www.mmorpgrealm.com/world-of-warcraft-statistic-in-2010/ pretty interesting

Bolded the part ya missed there.

KristoFurwalken wrote:
[

I am guessing you like googled "WoW population" or something and got to wc realms.

So this website collects info from an addon you have to DL and run in the game. And/or write in info. If you look at some of the realms on the website every once in awhile you will see a server that says is 99% Alliance, and 1% Horde, (if you've ever played the game you know how silly that is). This is how many people bothered to DL the client, and possibly if you have the client, it may log poeple you examine. Whatever the case, any numbers on this website are as accruate and scientific as the ones I can pull out of my rear-end.

Edited, Nov 30th 2010 6:43pm by KristoFurwalken


Said addon searches the entire realm via search functions which is quite obvious when you realize only about 100 or so people per realm use said addon on average. And no, I didn't google it, I used to use the addon for personal research purposes, mainly to check its accuracy vs the numbers Blizzard was pulling out of their asses. Also, when you see just 1 person listed..on those realms there is actually maybe 100 of that faction on at prime time. I should know, I've played to 80 on one of them. It actually means that there is so few people of that faction on that realm, that noone has the addon at all.

Oh, and for future reference, in January of 2008, there were 5.5M Chinese, not counting the Taiwan servers which many Chinese began playing on this year due to lawsuits against Blizzard, WOW players counted as "subscribers" from a pool of 10 million. Around April of this year, Europe and NA servers had about 39% of the overall playerbase, however that dropped by over a million players around fall due to burnout. This is also counting RMT on NA and EU realms, as well as multiboxers, hackers, banned accounts that are still being charged due to chargebacks, frozen accounts with free time available, bots, and accounts that have time paid for but quit long ago.

Edited, Nov 30th 2010 6:51pm by Uryuu
#44 Nov 30 2010 at 7:10 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
278 posts
Montsegurnephcreep wrote:
If it's massive, multiplayer, and an online role playing game, it fits into MMO. These games are essentially all the same, though you could argue against PSO, Diablo II, etc since you constantly log into a new room to play out the maps. Guild Wars also follows that path somewhat. I'm glad FFXIV is finding a raisin of being...


Not at all good sir. Starcraft is massive and definitely multiplayer. Diablo 2 and most likely 3 will have massive populations and they will be played mostly as a multiplayer experience. And don't tell me it's because you have massive amounts of people on a single server. It doesn't matter.

Themepark MMO's are not true MMO's.

The entire idea behind MMO's is to create that ideal fantasy (scifi/what-have-you) world that people may immerse themselves for a couple hours, where the players may do whatever the **** they want. That is why you have games like EVE and Darkfall continuously striving to fit the sandbox model. Thats the dream, thats the genre. Even WoW's predecessors attempted to keep a level of sand boxiness to their world. It wasn't until Burning Crusade that the genre took a nosedive for the mindless themepark model.

If you think all MMO's are the same then you have never stepped out of the AAA fare. Give EVE a try. Go play some Ultima. If you have the balls and some patience go take Darkfall for a spin. Those games are radically different from the WoW clones.

P.S. Did I spell raison wrong or are you trying to make a terrible joke?
#45 Nov 30 2010 at 7:26 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
691 posts
I believe it is actually spelled raisin. At least, my automatic spell-checker keeps telling me so every time I try to type it with an O.

Kinda confused though, shouldn't it be "raisin of a being" or "reason for being"?

Or maybe they meant "raisin of being" as in small and unremarkable, but still quite delicious in small amounts?

Edited, Nov 30th 2010 7:28pm by Uryuu
#46 Nov 30 2010 at 8:42 PM Rating: Default
***
2,202 posts
Uryuu wrote:
Ostia wrote:
Uryuu wrote:
Ostia wrote:

And your fact's are ? China has around 4-5 out of the 12mil sub's currently, how does that makes up 80% ?

Try again. Combined populations of US, OC, and EU realms are roughly 2.8-3m.
Combined populations of TW and CN realms were well over 9m last count.

http://www.warcraftrealms.com/census.php?serverid=-1&factionid=-1&minlevel=80&maxlevel=80&servertypeid=-1
Assuming an average of 1 level 80 per player counted. Some may have more, others may have less. The safest bet, however, is 1 per actual customer, minus 500k-1m botters, hackers, cheaters, goldfarmers, multiboxers, and other shady folk.

Edited, Nov 30th 2010 4:23pm by Uryuu


If you check that same page, each population of all USA servers is 2.8-2.9m and all euro is 2.7-2.8mil how is that roughly 3mil total ?

plus they account characters, not account's.

also i found this googling http://www.mmorpgrealm.com/world-of-warcraft-statistic-in-2010/ pretty interesting

Bolded the part ya missed there.

KristoFurwalken wrote:
[

I am guessing you like googled "WoW population" or something and got to wc realms.

So this website collects info from an addon you have to DL and run in the game. And/or write in info. If you look at some of the realms on the website every once in awhile you will see a server that says is 99% Alliance, and 1% Horde, (if you've ever played the game you know how silly that is). This is how many people bothered to DL the client, and possibly if you have the client, it may log poeple you examine. Whatever the case, any numbers on this website are as accruate and scientific as the ones I can pull out of my rear-end.

Edited, Nov 30th 2010 6:43pm by KristoFurwalken


Said addon searches the entire realm via search functions which is quite obvious when you realize only about 100 or so people per realm use said addon on average. And no, I didn't google it, I used to use the addon for personal research purposes, mainly to check its accuracy vs the numbers Blizzard was pulling out of their asses. Also, when you see just 1 person listed..on those realms there is actually maybe 100 of that faction on at prime time. I should know, I've played to 80 on one of them. It actually means that there is so few people of that faction on that realm, that noone has the addon at all.

Oh, and for future reference, in January of 2008, there were 5.5M Chinese, not counting the Taiwan servers which many Chinese began playing on this year due to lawsuits against Blizzard, WOW players counted as "subscribers" from a pool of 10 million. Around April of this year, Europe and NA servers had about 39% of the overall playerbase, however that dropped by over a million players around fall due to burnout. This is also counting RMT on NA and EU realms, as well as multiboxers, hackers, banned accounts that are still being charged due to chargebacks, frozen accounts with free time available, bots, and accounts that have time paid for but quit long ago.

Edited, Nov 30th 2010 6:51pm by Uryuu


Hmm i can only speak for myself but i have 3 80's, and 2 accounts lol, either way, sure ok china has 5.5M playing wow, and the US,EU combined almost match that ? and out of the 12mil we say 2mil are bots,hackers,goldfarmers,multiboxers etc etc, So ? Wow still has more asian players than FFXIV a game from asia, i could care less if they where from india or africa, they still pay to play, they are still players, i never got why people go around saying "oh they get half of their subs from china or w/e" like chinese players are the plague or something lol

Either way i did know about the chinese lawsuit and that wow lost half it subs at the end of BC, but i never knew of that page, pretty interesting
____________________________
MUTED
#47 Nov 30 2010 at 8:53 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
**
278 posts
Uryuu wrote:
I believe it is actually spelled raisin. At least, my automatic spell-checker keeps telling me so every time I try to type it with an O.

Kinda confused though, shouldn't it be "raisin of a being" or "reason for being"?

Or maybe they meant "raisin of being" as in small and unremarkable, but still quite delicious in small amounts?

Edited, Nov 30th 2010 7:28pm by Uryuu


You're clearly going for the funny. I think they meant "raison d'être" as in reason for being but that's just my elementary french talking, who knows.
#48 Nov 30 2010 at 11:36 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
691 posts
Ostia, that 5.5m was 2 years ago when the total pop was 10m worldwide. Reading comprehension, man! TW and CN are currently at around 61 percent of the worldwide WOW population numbers, and probably even more now that they finally got Wrath there. Also, Japan is not part of the Asian Continent, and has actually been at war with countries in the Asian mainland at least once a century since before accurately recorded history.

Yes, WOW, a game that has caused people to commit suicide and homicide due to its influence, has more players than a game that has just been released for half of its target market, but you also must realize that Activision-Blizzard is lying to you about the real numbers. Well, not so much "lying" as cleverly twisting the truth, like they've been doing for a good decade or so on Activision's end.

A few other facts you neglected to mention:
FFXIV hits PS3s in March or sooner, at that point you can expect a 500k-1m increase in players.

FFXIV will also launch in China around that time, with CN-Only worlds, marking the first time a Japanese gaming company has done such a thing in the MMO industry. Launching a game in China pretty much increases your player base by 5 million, minimum, up to 50 Million if you market it well and sidestep the great firewall of China.


Edited, Nov 30th 2010 11:56pm by Uryuu
#49 Dec 01 2010 at 12:18 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
*
196 posts
... I'm sorry but the revolution of MMO you are looking for currently belongs to Guild Wars 2 ... Nothing in creation as of now plays even remotely like Guild Wars 2..
____________________________
WoW: we want to give players a more fun time with less grinding and generic quests
GW2: we want the player to feel like they are leveling while doing something fun
Final Fantasy XIV: we want less fun and more grinding
#50 Dec 01 2010 at 4:04 AM Rating: Default
***
2,202 posts
Uryuu wrote:
Ostia, that 5.5m was 2 years ago when the total pop was 10m worldwide. Reading comprehension, man! TW and CN are currently at around 61 percent of the worldwide WOW population numbers, and probably even more now that they finally got Wrath there. Also, Japan is not part of the Asian Continent, and has actually been at war with countries in the Asian mainland at least once a century since before accurately recorded history.

Yes, WOW, a game that has caused people to commit suicide and homicide due to its influence, has more players than a game that has just been released for half of its target market, but you also must realize that Activision-Blizzard is lying to you about the real numbers. Well, not so much "lying" as cleverly twisting the truth, like they've been doing for a good decade or so on Activision's end.

A few other facts you neglected to mention:
FFXIV hits PS3s in March or sooner, at that point you can expect a 500k-1m increase in players.

FFXIV will also launch in China around that time, with CN-Only worlds, marking the first time a Japanese gaming company has done such a thing in the MMO industry. Launching a game in China pretty much increases your player base by 5 million, minimum, up to 50 Million if you market it well and sidestep the great firewall of China.


Edited, Nov 30th 2010 11:56pm by Uryuu


reading comprehension ? I just said that those 5.5M where by the end of BC wich mean's the start of WOLKT, wich makes that 2 years ago <.< Also JAPAN IS PART OF ASIA! Wtf do you mean is not ? and what does being at war has anything to do with being a part of or not ? Germany has been at war with all of europe atleast 2 times in the last century, does that means it's not part of europe ? GTFO lol

Also i dint neglect anything, i'm talking about currently if you wanna talk about an uncertain future knock your self out, i can sit here and tell you how Cata is gonna increase wows subs to 15mil considering each expansion does increase blizzards subs by a few mil and yada yada, but until it happens i'm just talking **** lol

And as for company lie's, well lets look no more, Se is a big fat liar, remember how by the end of beta, they promised the game was gonna be fixed and then launched ? oh what happened ? the game was launched exactly as it was in beta, nothing was fixed, nothing was addressed, or how bout when they said FFXIV was gonna be casual friendly and compete with wow to some extent ? as soon as their game failed they change their tune to "Oh we never wanted to compete with X or Y we are happy with having as less subs as we can have" lmao!

Also wow had well over 4mil by the time it went to china, this game has well over what ? 200k Lmao! yeah good luck getting 5mil subs in china lol
____________________________
MUTED
#51 Dec 01 2010 at 4:07 AM Rating: Default
***
3,416 posts
Quote:
... I'm sorry but the revolution of MMO you are looking for currently belongs to Guild Wars 2 ... Nothing in creation as of now plays even remotely like Guild Wars 2..


Revolution in some way, but as far as MMO's are concerned... nnnnope.

More like sidetracking.

Edited, Dec 1st 2010 1:07pm by Hyanmen
____________________________
SE:
Quote:
We really want to compete against World of Warcraft and for example the new Star Wars MMO.

« Previous 1 2
This forum is read only
This Forum is Read Only!
Recent Visitors: 18 All times are in CST
Anonymous Guests (18)