Forum Settings
       
This Forum is Read Only

Ask the Devs! (12/01/2010)Follow

#1 Dec 01 2010 at 8:10 AM Rating: Excellent
From the Lodestone: http://lodestone.finalfantasyxiv.com/pl/topics/detail?id=ad301c699f3fed1459bbb76b1885ed56759e3c6a

Quote:

The development and management teams continue to address the questions and concerns of the community in an ongoing FAQ. The topic addressed this time around is changes made in the November version update.


The November Version Update
Q.
Was the movement speed of PCs slowed down in the version update? My Lalafell seems more sluggish and slothful, a mere shadow of his former, sprightly self.

A.
The movement speed of PCs has not been adjusted in the slightest. What has changed, however, is the angle of the game camera. Though this minor alteration may give the false perception of slower movement, we assure players that this is not the case.


Q.
The response time of the user interface (UI) has certainly improved as a result of the version update, but my gaming gut tells me that the retainer interface screen has become heavier. Am I right or am I right?

A.
You are right. This issue will be addressed in the Decemeber version update. Changes are currently being made to the programming underlying this portion of the UI that will considerably improve response times.


Q.
I can no longer navigate through the tabs on the Attributes, Inventory, and retainer interface screens using the D-pad on my controller. What gives?

A.
Prior to the November version update, selecting tabs with a controller was accomplished by moving the cursor to the desired tab using the D-pad and then pressing the Select/Confirm button. This method was removed, however, and now any of the following methods may be used in its place to navigate tabs:

Keyboard: Tab, Shift+Tab
Gamepad: Open Macros (Ctrl), Open Macros (Alt)
* Gamepad settings can be accessed via the FINAL FANTASY XIV Config program.
Mouse: Mouse-over and left-click



Square ensuring us they did not ninja nerf running speed :-)

Edited, Dec 1st 2010 9:10am by GuiltyBoomerang
____________________________
FFXIV

Estur Leone - Gysahl

#2 Dec 01 2010 at 8:12 AM Rating: Good
*
106 posts
Thank you for relaying the information :) rate-up!
____________________________


#3Nyariko, Posted: Dec 01 2010 at 8:35 AM, Rating: Sub-Default, (Expand Post) I say SE lied on movement speed was affect by the camera angle. Even in the 1st person view, which isn't affect by the camera at all, I can definitely tell the difference between pre update and post update given i've been used to the running speed for more than 7 months since the Alpha release... Why lie, just admit you've reduced the movement speed to accommodate the change in reduced anima usage, I have no problem with that, is reasonable. Or were they afraid another wave of people going to quit if they admit it as a fact!? XD
#4 Dec 01 2010 at 8:44 AM Rating: Good
*
85 posts
I'm very happy that they brought up the retainer lag issues. If they speed that up, I'm sure many of us will be happier for it. Sometimes I just don't even feel like going to my retainer right now to change gear because it's so clunky.
#5 Dec 01 2010 at 8:48 AM Rating: Decent
***
2,815 posts
This is a "currently known issues" disguised as a Q&A... What the?...
____________________________
Minecraft : My anti-MMO
Terraria : My anti-Minecraft
#6 Dec 01 2010 at 8:56 AM Rating: Good
*
52 posts
Quote:
Q.
I can no longer navigate through the tabs on the Attributes, Inventory, and retainer interface screens using the D-pad on my controller. What gives?

A.
Prior to the November version update, selecting tabs with a controller was accomplished by moving the cursor to the desired tab using the D-pad and then pressing the Select/Confirm button. This method was removed, however, and now any of the following methods may be used in its place to navigate tabs:

Keyboard: Tab, Shift+Tab
Gamepad: Open Macros (Ctrl), Open Macros (Alt)
* Gamepad settings can be accessed via the FINAL FANTASY XIV Config program.
Mouse: Mouse-over and left-click


Well that answers that one for me.

Good stuff if a bit sparse. I'm also highly doubting that SE "lied" about movement speed man. Relax.

Brandon
#7 Dec 01 2010 at 9:00 AM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
***
1,330 posts
Nyariko wrote:
I say SE lied on movement speed was affect by the camera angle. Even in the 1st person view, which isn't affect by the camera at all, I can definitely tell the difference between pre update and post update given i've been used to the running speed for more than 7 months since the Alpha release... Why lie, just admit you've reduced the movement speed to accommodate the change in reduced anima usage, I have no problem with that, is reasonable. Or were they afraid another wave of people going to quit if they admit it as a fact!? XD


Edited, Dec 1st 2010 6:41am by Nyariko


No, they didn't lie.

Go to First Person view.

Hold down 9 on the number pad. (I.E. the 10-key section on the right.)

Then hold down 3 on the number pad.

This is the camera angle they are talking about.
#8 Dec 01 2010 at 9:39 AM Rating: Excellent
GuiltyBoomerang wrote:



Wow, glad they told us.

I never would have figured that out.
#9 Dec 01 2010 at 9:43 AM Rating: Good
Lamnethx of the Seven Seas wrote:
GuiltyBoomerang wrote:



Wow, glad they told us.

I never would have figured that out.

So THAT'S how you use a mouse. I was really struggling with that one.
____________________________
IRC: Kagutsuchi

FFXI:
Tolite
Formerly of Lakshmi, now in Asura

FFXIV:
Kagu Tsuchi
Ultros
#10 Dec 01 2010 at 9:44 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
1,034 posts
Ravashack wrote:
Nyariko wrote:
I say SE lied on movement speed was affect by the camera angle. Even in the 1st person view, which isn't affect by the camera at all, I can definitely tell the difference between pre update and post update given i've been used to the running speed for more than 7 months since the Alpha release... Why lie, just admit you've reduced the movement speed to accommodate the change in reduced anima usage, I have no problem with that, is reasonable. Or were they afraid another wave of people going to quit if they admit it as a fact!? XD


Edited, Dec 1st 2010 6:41am by Nyariko


No, they didn't lie.

Go to First Person view.

Hold down 9 on the number pad. (I.E. the 10-key section on the right.)

Then hold down 3 on the number pad.

This is the camera angle they are talking about.


I know those keys, same as the O and P keys which I tried adjusting before, it doesn't seems to be the reason. I am guessing what they are trying to blame the cause of the altered movement speed was in fact the camera hight adjustment feature added on the update, that had slightly got out of place compare to pre patch but this wasn't the cause of the issue.

Edited, Dec 1st 2010 7:51am by Nyariko
____________________________
FFXI: Niyariko/Fenrir)ψ(`∇´)ψ
(FFXIV: Nya Ayariko/Figaro) Alpha tester #699 on Shαdowlord
http://static.finalfantasyxiv.com/community/images/en/default/error/errorBox.png?_v=58p
#11 Dec 01 2010 at 9:58 AM Rating: Good
**
761 posts
Thanks for relaying the info!
____________________________
FFXI: Gonz on Titan

FFXIV: Ninja Wind on Besaid

WoW: Ninjawind on Andorhal-US

[ffxisig]137247[/ffxisig]


#12 Dec 01 2010 at 10:57 AM Rating: Excellent
Sage
**
447 posts
RattyBatty wrote:
This is a "currently known issues" disguised as a Q&A... What the?...


Maybe because most people's questions since the patch have to do with the patch itself...

Seriously, can SE do anything without someone complaining about it? Such a tired act.
____________________________
Djigga, please. Highland Hyurs can't jump.

#13 Dec 01 2010 at 11:11 AM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
**
676 posts
Quote:
Q.
I can no longer navigate through the tabs on the Attributes, Inventory, and retainer interface screens using the D-pad on my controller. What gives?

A.
Prior to the November version update, selecting tabs with a controller was accomplished by moving the cursor to the desired tab using the D-pad and then pressing the Select/Confirm button. This method was removed, however, and now any of the following methods may be used in its place to navigate tabs:
This part was particularly good for me, since it oddly corresponds perfectly to the L and R buttons on the controller I play FFXIV with. Did SE perhaps foresee the use of these keys for such a purpose, or is it just crazy luck on my part?
____________________________

FFXI: Siren Server: Seiowan Lvl 99 WHM, SCH, BLM
FFXIV: Ragnarok Server: Lemuria Glitterhands All Classes 50
#14 Dec 01 2010 at 11:12 AM Rating: Excellent
**
800 posts
RattyBatty wrote:
This is a "currently known issues" disguised as a Q&A... What the?...


I know, totally ridiculous right? For the devs to Answer current community Questions in their weekly Q&A is just absurd! I would have much rather they told me more about how to use my mouse and keyboard. This point and click thing is confusing.
#15 Dec 01 2010 at 5:19 PM Rating: Default
***
2,815 posts
What I'm saying is they should have just made this a standard "currently known issues" post, instead of use this format to pretend it's some sort of favor. Pretending it's some kind of QnA is weird.

btw what's "tired" is people assuming everything that's not sucking proverbial **** is a complaint. I was expressing confusion you mook, read it again.
____________________________
Minecraft : My anti-MMO
Terraria : My anti-Minecraft
#16 Dec 01 2010 at 5:34 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
***
1,330 posts
Nyariko wrote:
Ravashack wrote:

No, they didn't lie.

Go to First Person view.

Hold down 9 on the number pad. (I.E. the 10-key section on the right.)

Then hold down 3 on the number pad.

This is the camera angle they are talking about.


I know those keys, same as the O and P keys which I tried adjusting before, it doesn't seems to be the reason. I am guessing what they are trying to blame the cause of the altered movement speed was in fact the camera hight adjustment feature added on the update, that had slightly got out of place compare to pre patch but this wasn't the cause of the issue.

Edited, Dec 1st 2010 7:51am by Nyariko


I'm not sure what to tell you then. The reason why the difference jumped out to me was because I was using a new keyboard and had to get used to the new angle and placement the number keys were at. The result was me accidentally adjusting the camera zoom with those two keys while auto-running and wondering why I suddenly slowed down a LOT visually.
#17 Dec 01 2010 at 8:22 PM Rating: Excellent
***
3,530 posts
Wow, it's not every day I read the term "proverbial ****;" thank you, Zam, for playing the vessel to such an experience.
____________________________
"... he called to himself a wizard, named Gallery, hoping by this means to escape the paying of the fifteen hundred crowns..." (Machen 15)

"Thus opium is pleasing... on account of the agreeable delirium it produces." (Burke para.6)

"I could only read so much for this paper and the syphilis poem had to go."
#18 Dec 01 2010 at 8:33 PM Rating: Excellent
**
800 posts
RattyBatty wrote:
What I'm saying is they should have just made this a standard "currently known issues" post, instead of use this format to pretend it's some sort of favor. Pretending it's some kind of QnA is weird.

btw what's "tired" is people assuming everything that's not sucking proverbial **** is a complaint. I was expressing confusion you mook, read it again.


So you're genuinely confused that SE is answering common community questions during their Q&A? I think that's actually worse than whining about it.

Just to clarify, the movement speed thing is not a "currently known issue", it's working perfectly as intended and wasn't adjusted. People were confused by how the change in default camera position made it appear as if they were running slower. SE Answered this Question.

The tab thing is also working as intended. They changed it, people asked what happened, SE answered.

Retainer lag is the only "currently known issue" in these notes, but I see nothing wrong with lumping it with the rest of the Q&A to save time/links.
This forum is read only
This Forum is Read Only!
Recent Visitors: 14 All times are in CST
Anonymous Guests (14)