Keep in mind:
1) The carpenter likely did not want to do it anyways
2) The OP wanted to get his bows "for cheap", and because of that he bought scale glue for 5x the normal price, thinking that it should make a difference in what the crafter did
3) The carpenter is overleveled for the craft, meaning a higher chance of HQ.
4) A single rank for the carpenter costs over 2000 wind shards.
5) The OP offered less than 3% of his level in wind shards. He asked for roughly 30%, not including the time spent into getting the logs and the time needed to put in the ranks. (Rank 40 -> 41 = ~70kSP, @200/synth = 300-350 synths. Probably ~45 synths/hour = ~7 hours worth of work)
6) There was absolutely no benefit to the carpenter. No SP at all, and the OP offered an insulting amount (12k = one leve at rank 10)
7) The carpenter would never see you again.
I see the carpenter absolutely not in the wrong, nor was he greedy. He was a fair businessman. He would have been greedy if he told you something above the price of the bows, and absolutely refused to haggle.
And most likely, these posts are getting downrated because we JUST had a 323 post thing on crafters and how hard / lengthy it is to rank them that would not die. (Which covered the OP's issue very clearly and why it was fair for the crafter to do this)
1) then say so... what point in there is making an outrageous offer, and no "they will keep bugging me if I don't" is not an argument, last I checked most of the players are above the age of 5, and ya know, blist works.
2) What a person pays for materials is irrelevant, only the fact that they were all supplied matters. when you buy an item in a game (well except this one, evidently) is a function of several factors. Skill level of the crafter isn't one of them. Material cost is... and when you supply 100% of the materials, that part of the equation vanishes.
3)In a proper crafting negotiation, HQ results are discussed. Usually a bonus to the crafter in that event results from said discussion.
4)just as irrelevant as 2
5)The OP wasn't asking the crafter to skill up, the OP was asking the crafter to put together the materials that the OP spent the time to gather, and was offering a fair payment for the <5 minutes that it would have taken to trade mats/craft items/trade items and payment.
6) 60 wind shards, which would take more time to gather then to craft the bows, is a fair payment for the very small amount of time to do so.
7)Did said carpenter transfer servers? ohh wait, cant do that... did said carpenter delete his character any time since? nope, probably not. that crafter will see the OP again, and vice versa, its a small server.