Forum Settings
       
1 2 Next »
This Forum is Read Only

EDITORIAL: Will FFXIV Players Return?Follow

#52 Dec 02 2010 at 2:32 PM Rating: Good
While they did a good job for players who like to solo(its not that bad to solo through your levels compared to FFXI before FoV), they almost negated the already hard-to-form-party system and community mentality. Without parties in treespeak or tam tara or riversmeet leveling from 30+ became extremely painful. More painful then hearing Ballad in FFXI.

Some might say that getting 100 sp per mob each 10 seconds is better, each one to their choices but to me at least, reducing parties sp gain to soloing level pretty much shot the game in the foot. Less interaction, more boredom since leves and walking around without quests or just crafting the whole day isnt enjoyable anymore to a lot of players.

I really applaud SE for their November patch, but the guy who had the idea of bringing sp gain down from 500 to 100 probably destroyed all improvements. Constant SP gain was a MUST from the previous flawed system, but why create a new flaw with such low reward for parties?

Not everyone is interest in camping behests or have a good LS with enough coordination for behest rotations. Are they good? yea, for many. But why do we HAVE to do behest if we want to grind sp? Please dont say duoing trios are good for sp, we are talking about parties 6+ ppl, lots of interaction with strangers, thats what makes friendships that lingers for years and keep games alive.

I dont think NMs will help anything really but give some sort of distraction to campers addict. The game BEGS for quests from NPCs, dialogues with cutscenes even for an onion sword like FFXI had. We want to be fed with content, with story, mindless grinding for wind shards or 10k sp pts is not enough to keep this game a healthy population, though some people are ok with it.

Edited, Dec 2nd 2010 3:37pm by MclarenTAGPorsche
#53 Dec 02 2010 at 2:51 PM Rating: Good
*
84 posts
One of the primary issues regarding the update is that it broke Skill Points for groups as well as for ranking up past rank 30. This means while it was doable to get to rank 50 if you knew the right people before the patch, it has become impossible to reach rank 50 as a combatant now. This is one of the main problems with the new update.

People are dissatisfied with that, but are generally satisfied with the player progression speed between ranks 1 and 20, which is far better than it was pre-patch. People can now enjoy grinding on mobs.

The conclusion to take from this that Square should learn is this:

Players like consistent, meaningful progress that is noticeable in a single play session. So if you're rank 30, you will want to see at least 25% of your SP bar get filled after one or two hours of solo or party grinding on non-levequest mobs. This is what I mean by substantial progress -- progress that is easily measurable and has a tangible feeling to it.

When you're getting 80 SP per kill at rank 30+ off of Quartz Doblyns, and committing mass genocide against that particular monster, you're not going to enjoy it. It is too tedious. Players of MMOs dislike tedium unless they love to crunch numbers -- EVE Online is tedious most of the time, therefore, it does not appeal to some MMO gamers. The same dilemma exists here for XIV.

So what is the obvious solution? Keep it simple, stupid! Instead of making the SP gain curve unpredictable, it should be a singular, linear and predictable slope instead of a jagged curve.

http://static.finalfantasyxiv.com/topics/images/15/9e/256_17.png

This is the image Square showed us on the lodestone showing the SP gain curve before the patch, and after the patch. Notice that it seems more predictable beforehand, but the curve is steeper. The after line, which is blue, is less steep, but less predictable. My answer to this is to have a straight line slope with less steepness than the two previous options, which keeps it predictable, simple, and logical. It doesn't have to involve any special mathematics or complexity that seems to be the trademark of Japanese productions.

On that note, it feels as though the Japanese developers feel some kind of inherent need to make their works overly complex, in the expectation that their audience will appreciate the effort they put into it. This is patently false - nobody appreciates an overly complicated system with a minimal amount of intuition built into it. This is not content - this is arrogance and ego stroking.
#54 Dec 02 2010 at 3:21 PM Rating: Decent
2 posts
Quote:
Its not perfect, but I rather see changes then silence.


That's like objecting to the **** sandwich in front of you because you don't like corn. Crappy game is crappy. I hope they can get it together for the PS3 launch or FFXI will still be their only real MMO.

Edit for constructive criticism:

I installed and logged on for the first time, excited, and was rewarded with an innovative questing system, an armory system that sounded like a "Build Your Own Job" kit and a breathtakingly beautiful world. Needless to say, after a few days the wool fell from my eyes. Everything is tedious. The apparent amount of control we had over crafting results is gone now and it's back to stupid FFXI crafting. "What would this recipe require in real life? Well, that gives us a lot of stupid, unnecessary complications and throws the level curve for finished items right to ****, but it sounds good!" I shouldn't need to be almost 30 Leathercraft / 15 Alchemy to make a rank 12 weapon for my Pugilist. Absolutely stupid. It's all been said: after you get past how neat the Levequest system is, it gets boring real quick. There's a lot of promise there but SE simply wasn't imaginative enough to tap it. The base method of SP gain is now the way it should've been from the beginning (instead of a holdover from XI's skill system) but the actual numbers are so jankified it messed up the party scene completely. The lack of a centralized economic browser is completely asinine, yet SE is in no hurry to implement one. Has it occurred to anyone else that a "retainer search" system doesn't necessarily include an option to buy? It's not a leap for me to imagine a search that merely tells you the name and location of the retainer, leaving you to travel there and tab around until you find it. Otherwise, why have retainers at all? It would be better but still aggravating. We'll see on that one, though.

I'm done with the game for now. I might poke in after the next patch and see what they fix (whether or not they tell us about it), but in all likelihood March will be its next and last real chance to impress.

Double edit: I really like this:
Quote:
This is not content - this is arrogance and ego stroking.


Edited, Dec 2nd 2010 4:48pm by Gouka

Edited, Dec 2nd 2010 4:51pm by Gouka
#55 Dec 02 2010 at 3:39 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
2,652 posts
Will FFXIV Players Return?

nope.jpg

(no premium /cry)
#56 Dec 02 2010 at 4:07 PM Rating: Good
**
845 posts
I noticed Lindblum seemed a little less populated than it was 2-3 weeks ago when i started my break from FFXIV but today I went to the repair NPC in LL and could not believe how DEAD it was, 14 total people visable from the repair NPC, there used to be 50-100 people in that area at all times.
____________________________

#57 Dec 02 2010 at 6:39 PM Rating: Excellent
**
952 posts
People came in after the update, tried to find a piece of gear in the retainer ward, failed miserably and promptly quit right after again.

Square made crafting complicated with layered synthesis that spanned multiple crafts, which isn't bad but forgot one key detail in all of it. One needs to be able to find parts of an item that they themselves cannot make because the craft that makes the part isn't their own, to do this they either need to level that craft to make the part or buy it.

There is the problem, the retainer ward is a nightmare when it comes to finding ANYTHING. It takes forever and sometimes one cannot even find it, do to it not existing or just simply being fed up with it taking forever.

The crafting system isn't the problem, it being a big part of the game isn't the problem. The problem is actually trying to level one. Someone leveling multiple crafts at once is unrealistic. I'm not talking about two crafts, I'm talking about three or four just so you're able to make simple items. On top of that one has to level a DoL class as well.

I like crafting. I wanted to level one or two crafts at once. I wanted to gather my own materials. I wanted to be self sufficient but not to this degree. This feels like a second job and not a fun game. I can't even find the very basic low level gear for my DoL and DoH classes because no one is making it.

tl;dr Give me a @#%^ing auction house dammit.

Edited, Dec 2nd 2010 7:40pm by CupDeNoodles
#58 Dec 02 2010 at 7:27 PM Rating: Good
***
2,010 posts
Honestly they focused on some of the wrong things in this update. I just logged in on my desktop and decided that my settings weren't what I wanted - so I logged out and found the entire settings menu overhauled.


While I love the changes here and was appreciative of the UI speed increase, I still don't feel like they are focusing on the things that ****** the players off the most. IT reminds me of a guy that we had working for us that was tasked with building a program - the entire program was sitting around in pieces for years and the thing he was focusing on the most wasn't getting the calculations right or the menus mapped to what was intuitive to the users... He was focused on this graphical blip that occurred for barely a nanosecond when you alt-tabbed from the program into the desktop quickly (our clients are lucky they can even turn on the pc let alone be alt-tab through things). Eventually he was let go but that's just an example of an entire project falling down while someone is focused on completely the wrong thing.

Some of it feels like that here - they are worried about that alt-tab glitch and not the stuff that regular people actually use.
#59 Dec 02 2010 at 8:14 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
626 posts
wow i have to agree torrence.
im not a developer, but im sure durring the time they took (for the Nov. update) i think they could have kept the UI speed update but skipped a few other things to focus on the games economy first, and maybe a small handful of not so easy NMs to keep the game population there now busy for the Dec. update which would include a massive UI overhaul aswell as the other couple things skipped.
just my thoughts.
____________________________

#60 Dec 02 2010 at 9:00 PM Rating: Default
Scholar
*
67 posts
I'm staying. The game keeps getting better and better for me. Only two things right now will make me leave...

1) Link Shell leaves

2) Asteroid hits earth and we all are vapourised.

Will I still be playing when TERA comes out? who knows.

In the end people who want to leave will leave, nothing will make them stay once they are disillusioned with a game. Those who want to stay will stay unless things get really bad. Nothing new here.

Edited, Dec 2nd 2010 10:02pm by Chnmmr
#61 Dec 02 2010 at 10:12 PM Rating: Default
***
1,949 posts
CupDeNoodles wrote:
The crafting system isn't the problem, it being a big part of the game isn't the problem. The problem is actually trying to level one. Someone leveling multiple crafts at once is unrealistic.

Oh? My character somehow managed to do it.

CupDeNoodles wrote:
One needs to be able to find parts of an item that they themselves cannot make because the craft that makes the part isn't their own, to do this they either need to level that craft to make the part or buy it.

tl;dr Give me a @#%^ing auction house dammit.

Perhaps you need to make friends with other crafters if the retainers system in unusable. Even with an auction house, you'd need someone willing to use one of his character's "AH Slot" (Assuming 7 items on sale at a time max, like FFXI did) to put up: Rivets, Nails, Spikes, Nuggets, Squares, Ingots, Plates, Wires and Rings.

Considering those exist in Copper, Bronze, Iron and Silver variation, you'd need at the very least 45 slots just to put up a "stack" of each of those up for sale.

The problem isn't AH. The problem is that the craft inter-dependence is very high, and unless you cover all your bases yourself (like I do), then you have to almost constantly run after other crafters for this or that.

For an hermit like me, it's fine, because it makes me "accidentally" level all my crafts little by little. You wouldn't believe the amount of armorer levels I gained just from spamming the buckles I used to level clothcraft and leatherworking. And then when I have excess (like 31 extra rivets after 1 item I wanted), I usually either NPC the leftovers or spam something using them; I would never put them on a retainer or an AH slot, compared to a finished product.

Edited, Dec 2nd 2010 11:12pm by Docent42
____________________________
FFXIV: Cloe Delisle Scholar, officer of the SWAGGER Free company, Sargatanas server.
#62 Dec 02 2010 at 10:26 PM Rating: Default
6 posts
Maybe this is a bit repetitive but I wanted to throw in my two cents. I'm not a hardcore MMOer, I did enjoy XI off and on for a while, but it always ended up requiring too much of my time to just stand waiting for parties. I was very excited for XIV because it was supposed to be something for everyone. There may be days that I want to sink everything into doing something in game, but sometimes I just wanted to log in and out.

Anyway I like most others found myself annoyed with a lot of the game mechanics and lack of any sort of a story to get me going. I, like others in this thread, fully intended to try again once the updates came out since I was very happy to hear the problems were being addressed.

This is where the tree in the woods analogy rings true. Its almost like...its too late. Maybe that's melodramatic, but my excitement level is gone. I picked up XIV the day it came out and went through heck getting it installed and updated since my network doesn't support P2P. I was insanely happy when I got it running. I was annoyed with the mechanics/UI etc, but the world was beautiful. The game seemed versatile. But when the bad outweighed the good I stopped playing, intending to start after the version updates, but..I'm just not excited like I was. I am tired of crafting bronze ingots and doing the same levequests every day and having nothing else to really do when they are done. There's no compelling story for me to latch on to to get me integrated with the game and world. My mind has moved on to other things. Maybe in six months I'll get the itch, maybe I won't. But I don't have it now. The updates are not necessarily too little, but they are too late.
#63 Dec 02 2010 at 11:53 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
*
107 posts
I really can't believe how unanimous the decision is throughout this thread (except for like 2-3 people). Very few people have more positive things to say about the game then negative.

I'll just echo what everyone else seems to be saying:

Best case scenario: It lessened the bleeding a bit.

Worst case scenario: FFXIV is a hemophiliac (i.e. the bleeding may never stop).

The december update won't change anything. Neither will the 2011 one they're planning (at least in terms of bringing a sizable amount of players back). The only real chance this game has is if the PS3 launch just BLOWS AWAY critics. There's just too much bad press out there right now.
#64 Dec 03 2010 at 1:02 AM Rating: Good
Sage
***
3,638 posts
Is there a Thayos editorial archive somewhere? I always love your stuff.
____________________________
http://ereblog.livejournal.com/
Erecia and Ereblog are BACK, baby!
#65 Dec 03 2010 at 2:30 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
2,801 posts
Quote:
In the wake of the recent update -- which fixed many of the game's downsides -- I haven't noticed many players returning to the game. This somewhat surprises me, given how many people said they planned on playing again once the UI was fixed.


I don't know why'd you be surprised. The people that left went because they were tired of SE's BS promises. "Everything will work out fine by release! Trust us!" When you break that trust you lose customers.
____________________________
WoW -- Zaia -- Dragonmaw -- Mage 80 BABY! Alchemy 450
Also... Hunter 62, Rogue 52, Warrior 66, Warlock 43, Death Knight 70, Shaman Who Cares? ;)

FFXI -- Caia -- Retired/Deleted -- Blm 75, Alchemy 97
Pandimonium server - Rank 10 - Bastok

Zaela Rdm -- 35, Alchemy 45 -- Forced into retirement because I didn't have the right kind of credit card. Hope it was worth 18 bucks a month, SE.

#66 Dec 03 2010 at 2:38 AM Rating: Default
***
3,416 posts
Quote:
The people that left went because they were tired of SE's BS promises. "Everything will work out fine by release! Trust us!" When you break that trust you lose customers.


Uh-huh. When did they say this?

What I love most about the playerbase is how they make up stuff and it later becomes 'a fact' to them. Hilarious.
____________________________
SE:
Quote:
We really want to compete against World of Warcraft and for example the new Star Wars MMO.

#67 Dec 03 2010 at 6:50 AM Rating: Decent
***
2,202 posts
Hyanmen wrote:
Quote:
The people that left went because they were tired of SE's BS promises. "Everything will work out fine by release! Trust us!" When you break that trust you lose customers.


Uh-huh. When did they say this?

What I love most about the playerbase is how they make up stuff and it later becomes 'a fact' to them. Hilarious.


Yes because they said "Thanks for the beta guy's we are gonna ship this game as is right now, with all the bug's and w/o fixing anything you guy's been complaining"

lol
____________________________
MUTED
#68 Dec 03 2010 at 11:56 AM Rating: Good
**
518 posts
I think the common consensus is there. The Nov. update is ment to keep more people from bailing than to bring more people in. Not sure how anyone can say anything with certainty since we don't know world populations anymore. I can tell you on Istory the towns are deserted these days. Old SP/farm camps are empty. Our shell has already lost a few players due to the SP changes. I'm sure were not alone.

Not gonna say the game is dying, but those that were unhappy with the game pre-update didn't come back, and those happy with the game really didn't leave. I was getting used to the system and in all reality would have loved some content. I mean i find my self leveling my low level jobs and crafts to 20 just so i can do some kind of mission besides the main story. This game needs a RoZ or CoP type story line/quest line and fast. NMs arn't content, more leves arn't content. The current nation quests are lame, they are geared towards players who level up DoH or DoL jobs so we can't have the epic Shadow Lord battles.

#69 Dec 04 2010 at 2:53 AM Rating: Good
*
110 posts
No party is as big as the launch. That show is over and we we're all disappointed.

- Well except the alcoholic SE fanboys - which are always such downers at parties anyways... Complain that there's no cups and they tell you to drink with your hands.

Now - Old School SE wasn't much better and they'd tell you "Hey this party is a 'drinking with your hands only' party - we're not trying to do what all the other parties do."

No one liked this so people decided to bounce pretty quick - ***** drinking with hands, right

...then SE tried to play it cool like "Okay fine we'll get you cups, well not cups exactly - they don't have bottoms but they're cup-like, they have sides...they're SE's version of a cup, we do our own thing."

...And can you believe it - people still weren't satisfied.

So SE finally caved and said "Okay, okay, god people are so demanding you know we only had like 5years to put this party together - nothing's ever perfect the night of. I mean expecting cups for beer and all. Okay cups are coming - they'll be here soon - or soonish - like 3months.'

At this point you can guess what the SE-lopedia drunks were saying - "***'em more beer for us - don't give them cups. They don't respect the beer."

I mean jeez who wants that drama so pretty soon it was a dead party.

Now SE is trying to convince everyone to stay for after hours but most of us aren't hearing it.

It's already been such a disappointment.

But SE is like, "Look we heard you - we got cup! 'er Cupz! something like that - whatever - you don't have to drink with your hands!"

Now people are thinking "Well, the beer's kind of flat and there's nothing to eat."

New School SE was on it - "Yo' we got this, we're way ahead of it!. We got pretzels on-the-way!"

Now everyone's thinking "Really just pretzels? I don't know... Lets get some real food. We need to sober up..."
#70 Dec 04 2010 at 12:22 PM Rating: Default
*
245 posts
I wont be back untill an AH is added.
____________________________
Eskeran Remora 75 monk 75 BLM *retired*

Galka Remora 67 Warrior atm.
#71 Dec 04 2010 at 12:45 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
**
364 posts
Kirutaru wrote:
Also it's hard to say if I notice less people because they took the real ability to SEE how many people are on.

They hide it behind this "multiple servers" idea (which confuses me and they don't bother to explain).

It's all a bit too convenient. I know pre-patch there was 800 on my server - average # anyway.
Now it seems a tad more active but it's hard to tell. I know among my personal friends about 4 came back.

Though there are now another 4 MIA.



SE has never tried to use this excuse AFAIK, apologists and fanboys have. They would appear comically incompetent if they did. Obviously they know precisely when (and how many) people connect to a world. It seems pretty obvious a world count could be displayed by calling a single variable that's incremented/decremented as players log in and out. To think that SE doesn't have this information, or couldn't implement it into the UI with a few lines of code is beyond stupid.

On topic, player population actually seems lower post-patch. They lost a lot of the higher level (say mid 20's through 50) hardcore players that logged in for the 10-15 man PT's. That group probably represented a vast majority of the active players on any given server (excluding Bazaars, AFK's, RMT's etc). Some of those people are trying to soldier through on leves, some moved to low level jobs, but many just quit logging in (or do so much less often).


Edited, Dec 4th 2010 1:50pm by Furia
#72 Dec 04 2010 at 3:14 PM Rating: Decent
*
51 posts
no, i am NOT going to come back and play this RUBBLISH game!

____________________________
Galka 75NIN 75PLD 75MNK 75RNG 75BRD 72SMN 60BST
Black Belt, Walahra Turban, Aegishjalmr
Rajas, Bush., Ethereal, Brutal, Loq. Earring.
Osode: 5/5, Relics: 2.5Sets, Crimson 3/5, Koenig
Sha'ir Manteel, YY Robe, Pln. 1/5
Xarcabard Interloper, Vrtra, Jorm, Tiamat




#73 Dec 05 2010 at 1:26 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
*
53 posts
As with the author of the editorial I still remain the only active member of my 17 person LS. When I asked those members who are my friends in FFXI if they are comming back htey replied they replied that they were waiting to see in what direction the content upgrades for December would go. Others I have talked to said that while the November updtae helped greatly not enough was done to entice them to return. They are hoping that the PS3 release will include improved storyline and quest content as well as fixes to party capabilities and SP adustments as well as a complete overhaul of the Gear Damage system.. If these things happen they will be back. If not then no. As a consequence they are recommending to their friend to take a wait and see attitude til the PS3 release in March
____________________________


#74 Dec 05 2010 at 2:39 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
1,536 posts
i see plenty more people online on Gyshal as of late, game seems very lively.
____________________________
MUTED
#75 Dec 05 2010 at 3:00 AM Rating: Default
*
72 posts
I'd like to answer the post before I digress, I say yes, the right players will return.

From reading 2 pages of comments, and my own experiences with others in this game so far. The main complaints seemed to be that the game...

a) Does not have enough content
b) Does not have the conveniences that MMO players are used to.
c) Players think they're going to be screwed because there is no information of what is on the horizon for this game.

I don't like to feed hate, even though I agree the game was released in a bad state, but a few things I know kept me playing. I'm no white knight nor a blind man, but I have something to say.

a) Developers talented enough to attempt a game at such a scale are neither ignorant, egoists nor want to see their product slammed the way it is now. There's a lot of great things in the game overlooked. I wish more people could see it.

b) The lack of perfect information allows players to interact and form relationships. The small things like repairs and lack of AH is not that great a hindrance nor a chore, if you'd step up and ask someone, it is not demeaning nor does not mean you're begging them in anyway. ff11 was the 1st to set up an AH, and I applaud them for not having one this time for reasons I'd save for another time.

c) The system on paper is what I envision a truly great game would be.

d) Its more than a business sometimes, sometimes, developers want to stay afloat to keep creating great games. I know its an illusion to say that game developers all sit on nice mountains of cash, it just isn't so.

I'd like to end that I noticed FF14, like ff11 has a warning reminder every time you start the game. SE reminds you that the game should compliment your lives, not remove you from it, unlike other MMOs out there that put the EULA to cover their own legal asses. Why'd they do that?

I assure you, they can very well sell out and make this ff14 the drug of your life.

*Please don't mind my over-generalization, I'm not here to prove anyone wrong or right. Thank you.

#76 Dec 05 2010 at 8:03 AM Rating: Default
Scholar
35 posts
KujaKoF wrote:
I highly doubt retainers will be implemented until the monthly fees start. people getting 10 free retainers for a month would cause so much spam to the market wards, it could hurt more than help.

Where did you hear there would be a fee? I was under the impression the retainers would be hired with gil.
#77 Dec 05 2010 at 8:18 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
35 posts
renmabiao wrote:

a) Developers talented enough to attempt a game at such a scale are neither ignorant, egoists nor want to see their product slammed the way it is now. There's a lot of great things in the game overlooked. I wish more people could see it.

Yes, there's some nice things in the game(like the story content). But at the same time it's hard for a lot of people to justify wading through an ocean of sh*t to get to the candy bar on the other side.

b) The lack of perfect information allows players to interact and form relationships. The small things like repairs and lack of AH is not that great a hindrance nor a chore, if you'd step up and ask someone, it is not demeaning nor does not mean you're begging them in anyway. ff11 was the 1st to set up an AH, and I applaud them for not having one this time for reasons I'd save for another time.

I do like that they leave things to be discovered, however I strongly disagree that no AH isn't a hindrance or a chore. Asking for items is hit or miss at best, because it relies on several factors. The person needs to be within shout range. A person with the appropriate specific item has to be logged in at the same time as you. Hopefully they aren't AFK bazaaring it on top of all that, or they are willing to run back to their retainer to fetch it for you. There's also no convenient way of finding out what you should sell things for, nor any way to sell items at a good rate, even with your suggestions.

Having no AH is a great hindrance and a massive chore. Not seeing that *does* make you a blind man. It's like ignoring the elephant in the room.


c) The system on paper is what I envision a truly great game would be.

Yeah lots of things sound good on paper, but when put into practice people find out that they were terrible ideas.

d) Its more than a business sometimes, sometimes, developers want to stay afloat to keep creating great games. I know its an illusion to say that game developers all sit on nice mountains of cash, it just isn't so.

I'd like to end that I noticed FF14, like ff11 has a warning reminder every time you start the game. SE reminds you that the game should compliment your lives, not remove you from it, unlike other MMOs out there that put the EULA to cover their own legal asses. Why'd they do that?

They just couldn't resist putting in another window for you to click through, I think.

I assure you, they can very well sell out and make this ff14 the drug of your life.

If by sell out you mean "make an enjoyable and addictive experience," then **** I know they can. They did it with XI. Wonder why they thought having a large player base was a bad idea when they were working on XIV.

*Please don't mind my over-generalization, I'm not here to prove anyone wrong or right. Thank you.


replies in bold

Edited, Dec 5th 2010 9:21am by Arquis001
#78 Dec 05 2010 at 10:17 AM Rating: Good
***
1,636 posts
Arquis001 wrote:
KujaKoF wrote:
I highly doubt retainers will be implemented until the monthly fees start. people getting 10 free retainers for a month would cause so much spam to the market wards, it could hurt more than help.

Where did you hear there would be a fee? I was under the impression the retainers would be hired with gil.


retainers will cost an extra 1$ a month each.
____________________________


#79 Dec 05 2010 at 10:26 AM Rating: Decent
*
72 posts
Hello again,

I shall address Arquis001 on just the topic of having an AH in game, as the rest of the comments are quite valid.

Why I applaud not having an AH is simply because an AH makes things very impersonal, every player 'talks' to the AH. You don't really get to know the person on the other side. Yes, you can get more goods and services to everybody but you lose all the fun of the trading game with that perfect information, you lose the need for 'the player that can get things' and that doesn't feel right to me. You get to 'learn the market rates' in this system, its great.

Are there a million solutions out there to offer the convenience yet maintain this 'trading game' like they did for god drops in FFXI? yes. but is it necessary for me? no. I believe you pay to be self reliant or you can have friends to help out.

You can say I have deviant tastes for an MMORPG, add in ridicules if you'd like, but no, I do not think I'm blind though definitely a minority?

If such a convenience like an AH were implemented, it means that trading and/or obtaining all items gets simplified, market prices is known across the board, everybody knows the 'right price for all things'. I don't find it fun at all, staring at prices. I'd rather go to someone in some place I know I'd find what I want and solicit.

e.g. When I need armor? I go to LL armorer's guild where I'd most likely find what I want, offer shards, gil, mercenary, errand services, etc. for what you want from them , convince or bargain with them, have a great interaction and build up a relationship.

Is it a hassle and unnecessary for an online game? I guess it depends what your game is.

I see where you're coming from and thanks for reading. I'm not challenging you, just wanted you to know why.

Quote:
They just couldn't resist putting in another window for you to click through, I think.
That's just being bitter and you know it. ;) cheer up. lol.
#80 Dec 05 2010 at 10:33 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
*
55 posts
Well, in my personal opinion but the game is goes in a good dirección but still need some fix here and there.

- SP system need to be revised, since there is no point on making groups. So no challenge to fight VT++ if not well rewarded. IF they fix this, that will make ppl more interested and cooperate to advace together. In resume, insted on 1 guy geting to 50 soloing, will be 5.

- Jobs need a roll. Tanks, DPS , Healer. That is all we see and there is no good combinations. At the moment, just grab anything and go kill. This could be fixed working on Skillchain that make huge diference and so teamwork to kill VT++ target comes in hand. Also give to all jobs some exclusive abilityes that would do great impact in what they do.

- Adding NM will be fun. Hope they put some at low lvl area, mid area and high lvl areas. NM for all please.

- Add more levequest would help. More than the normal 6 leves per aerythe, put like 30 on each. Since the max per day is 8 per player, we won't see that EVERYONE has the same 3 leves from the same Aerythe.

- Rewards are only gil and few armors. ¿Why there is no Weapon rewards?.

- Search function so we can be able to find something on bazzars. I don't mind looking bazzars but i would like to have a tool for searching.

- More recipes for crafting.


As you see, all this stuff can be done and doesn't look that HARD to implement. AS everyone, i am looking foward for Decembre update.

Cya.
#81 Dec 05 2010 at 11:45 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
35 posts
renmabiao wrote:
Hello again,

I shall address Arquis001 on just the topic of having an AH in game, as the rest of the comments are quite valid.

Why I applaud not having an AH is simply because an AH makes things very impersonal, every player 'talks' to the AH. You don't really get to know the person on the other side. Yes, you can get more goods and services to everybody but you lose all the fun of the trading game with that perfect information, you lose the need for 'the player that can get things' and that doesn't feel right to me. You get to 'learn the market rates' in this system, its great.

Are there a million solutions out there to offer the convenience yet maintain this 'trading game' like they did for god drops in FFXI? yes. but is it necessary for me? no. I believe you pay to be self reliant or you can have friends to help out.

You can say I have deviant tastes for an MMORPG, add in ridicules if you'd like, but no, I do not think I'm blind though definitely a minority?

If such a convenience like an AH were implemented, it means that trading and/or obtaining all items gets simplified, market prices is known across the board, everybody knows the 'right price for all things'. I don't find it fun at all, staring at prices. I'd rather go to someone in some place I know I'd find what I want and solicit.

e.g. When I need armor? I go to LL armorer's guild where I'd most likely find what I want, offer shards, gil, mercenary, errand services, etc. for what you want from them , convince or bargain with them, have a great interaction and build up a relationship.

Is it a hassle and unnecessary for an online game? I guess it depends what your game is.

I see where you're coming from and thanks for reading. I'm not challenging you, just wanted you to know why.

Quote:
They just couldn't resist putting in another window for you to click through, I think.
That's just being bitter and you know it. ;) cheer up. lol.

I get where you're coming from, and yeah it sounds neat and all, but to me it's just not practical. Even in FFXI, with an AH, you probably knew *the* woodworker in your linkshell, or the cook, or the blacksmith, etc. and went to them for things you needed crafted, and it was nice, but you still had the option of going to the AH for things you needed *now*. And I could see this trading thing working... however not on XIVs crafting system. If an armorer alone can make armor, then yes just ask an armorer. But 90% of the time you need materials from several different crafts, and hunting down people for hours or god forbid days just so you could get the 40,000 gil pair of boots you want and can't find in the wards is needlessly tedious.

And yeah I was being bitter... but it's because I like the game, and want to see it succeed and have a stable population like XI does... so it just makes me facepalm when they ***** up so bad with the masses.

As for this threads topic in a whole: IMO Square pulled a Sony. Released something believing now matter what their "loyal" fans would praise and buy it up, but it just didn't pan out. I'm just hoping they could make a comeback as well....
#82 Dec 05 2010 at 11:56 AM Rating: Excellent
*
170 posts
Quote:
- SP system need to be revised, since there is no point on making groups. So no challenge to fight VT++ if not well rewarded. IF they fix this, that will make ppl more interested and cooperate to advace together. In resume, insted on 1 guy geting to 50 soloing, will be 5.


Probably in the works. Not sure, the patch notes for Dec show more to balance still and change SP, we only got half of the fix.

Quote:
- Jobs need a roll. Tanks, DPS , Healer. That is all we see and there is no good combinations. At the moment, just grab anything and go kill. This could be fixed working on Skillchain that make huge diference and so teamwork to kill VT++ target comes in hand. Also give to all jobs some exclusive abilityes that would do great impact in what they do.


Mind you there are like 6 combat jobs right now, most are pretty specific and do have their own abilities and such. Glad is the only melee with a proper shield, lancer with the surges, etc.... Even Conj and Thaum have their own styles but I think they will rise with the second round of SP changes back to IT++ grouping as WHM and BLM types.

Quote:
- Adding NM will be fun. Hope they put some at low lvl area, mid area and high lvl areas. NM for all please.

NMs are already in the game under faction leves, but the open world ones and more NMs will be Dec.

Quote:
- Add more levequest would help. More than the normal 6 leves per aerythe, put like 30 on each. Since the max per day is 8 per player, we won't see that EVERYONE has the same 3 leves from the same Aerythe.

Again slated for Dec, I expect rank 40s to be added too.
Quote:


- Rewards are only gil and few armors. ¿Why there is no Weapon rewards?.

You forget marks and shields and such, most good weapons come from faction leves. Also token armors are coming in Dec, expect 1 for DoM and 1 for DoW.

Quote:
- Search function so we can be able to find something on bazzars. I don't mind looking bazzars but i would like to have a tool for searching.


Again Dec. As to its effectiveness, I hope it is game changing.

Quote:
- More recipes for crafting.

They added more then 140 recipes last patch and will add more in Dec too... mind you that not every current recipe in the game is known, let alone their HQ pathways.


Quote:
As you see, all this stuff can be done and doesn't look that HARD to implement. AS everyone, i am looking foward for Decembre update.


Expect all of it to be done in our content oriented December patch, not the background fixing Nov patch.


____________________________


#83 Dec 05 2010 at 12:28 PM Rating: Default
Scholar
35 posts
KujaKoF wrote:
Arquis001 wrote:
KujaKoF wrote:
I highly doubt retainers will be implemented until the monthly fees start. people getting 10 free retainers for a month would cause so much spam to the market wards, it could hurt more than help.

Where did you hear there would be a fee? I was under the impression the retainers would be hired with gil.


retainers will cost an extra 1$ a month each.

Link? I just don't understand how that makes sense considering additional characters are $1 each and those can get retainers... plus character inventory slots. Logically it would mean there's no point in buying a retainer, when another character yields double the space.
#84 Dec 05 2010 at 12:40 PM Rating: Excellent
Arquis001 wrote:
KujaKoF wrote:
Arquis001 wrote:
KujaKoF wrote:
I highly doubt retainers will be implemented until the monthly fees start. people getting 10 free retainers for a month would cause so much spam to the market wards, it could hurt more than help.

Where did you hear there would be a fee? I was under the impression the retainers would be hired with gil.


retainers will cost an extra 1$ a month each.

Link? I just don't understand how that makes sense considering additional characters are $1 each and those can get retainers... plus character inventory slots. Logically it would mean there's no point in buying a retainer, when another character yields double the space.


Additional characters are not $1 extra, they're $3. Additional retainers are $1 extra.
#85 Dec 05 2010 at 12:45 PM Rating: Default
Scholar
35 posts
Osarion, Goblin in Disguise wrote:
Arquis001 wrote:
KujaKoF wrote:
Arquis001 wrote:
KujaKoF wrote:
I highly doubt retainers will be implemented until the monthly fees start. people getting 10 free retainers for a month would cause so much spam to the market wards, it could hurt more than help.

Where did you hear there would be a fee? I was under the impression the retainers would be hired with gil.


retainers will cost an extra 1$ a month each.

Link? I just don't understand how that makes sense considering additional characters are $1 each and those can get retainers... plus character inventory slots. Logically it would mean there's no point in buying a retainer, when another character yields double the space.


Additional characters are not $1 extra, they're $3. Additional retainers are $1 extra.
Oh I see (was thinking pricing is the same as XI)... well that's.... kind of ridiculous to charge for retainers... And by kind of ridiculous I mean absolutely insane.
#86 Dec 05 2010 at 12:55 PM Rating: Default
***
3,416 posts
Quote:
Oh I see (was thinking pricing is the same as XI)... well that's.... kind of ridiculous to charge for retainers... And by kind of ridiculous I mean absolutely insane.


Mules of XIV.
____________________________
SE:
Quote:
We really want to compete against World of Warcraft and for example the new Star Wars MMO.

#87 Dec 05 2010 at 1:06 PM Rating: Excellent
*
170 posts
Yeah SE learned with FFXI that if a character costs $1 to have then people can have alts if they want, but most people dedicate their time to playing that one character and the other characters were mules. Why not give a mule and make additional mules accessible via a system which makes it easier then transferring stuff back and forth from the delivery box.

I'm at least thankful for that too...
____________________________


#88 Dec 06 2010 at 9:38 PM Rating: Default
Avatar
2 posts
I just started playing after a month because of the new update and... wow? In my mind nothing has really changed at all, besides less laggy UI. I still can't buy items I want in the market wards because no one has put their retainer in the correct area, leves are still the SAME!, they could at least switch em up after a couple levels but nope, gotta stick to the same leves for 10 boring levels. A lot of people like to craft (not my thing, never enjoyed it on ffxi or ffxiv) but for me there is really nothing to do, besides play the game for 30 mins to do my leves and... thats it.

I hope the next update will be 100 times better, this update felt like a mere patch, nothing more nothing less.
____________________________


#89 Dec 07 2010 at 4:00 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
*
247 posts
If you were lucky enough to play in the Rift beta event this weekend you would have seen an MMO in 10x better shape than FFXIV was at release.

Going from FFXIV beta to the Rift beta was like night and day. Rift was fully playable from 1-20 with almost zero issues. I actually lost track of time playing an MMO for the first time since Vanguard. The content 1-20 was your basic leveling train track from hub to hub, but it all worked and it was enjoyable. The first dungeon at level 20 wasn't overly hard, but it required you to group and provided a decent challenge for low level players.

That is how a game is supposed to be. Rift in the first beta is in better shape than FFXIV is now months after release.

I just don't see FFXIV ever recovering, no matter what they do in the December patch.
#90 Dec 08 2010 at 10:03 AM Rating: Decent
Avatar
**
852 posts
Enscheff wrote:
If you were lucky enough to play in the Rift beta event this weekend you would have seen an MMO in 10x better shape than FFXIV was at release.

Going from FFXIV beta to the Rift beta was like night and day. Rift was fully playable from 1-20 with almost zero issues. I actually lost track of time playing an MMO for the first time since Vanguard. The content 1-20 was your basic leveling train track from hub to hub, but it all worked and it was enjoyable. The first dungeon at level 20 wasn't overly hard, but it required you to group and provided a decent challenge for low level players.

That is how a game is supposed to be. Rift in the first beta is in better shape than FFXIV is now months after release.

I just don't see FFXIV ever recovering, no matter what they do in the December patch.


Call me cynical, but this is honestly my feeling too and has been since I first tried OB.
____________________________
#91 Dec 08 2010 at 2:24 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
30 posts
Is it just me.. or does the server seems a little less crowded now that cataclysm is out?

I'm really asking btw.. >.<
____________________________


Mikhalia the Picky wrote:
It's well known that MMORPG stands for "Many Men Online Role-Playing as Girls"
#92 Dec 08 2010 at 3:35 PM Rating: Good
****
9,526 posts
The game as is has a core/kernel of players that love it despite its flaws. That's what gives me hope for it. I don't expect an uptick in population till PS3 release, but I think the bleeding is pretty well over. That isn't to say no one will quit from now on, but the majority of people who were going to quit already have. Those that are left are probably in it for the long haul (especially if they are playing regularly).

I think PS3 release will coincide with when a lot of people get bored with WoW after the shiny of Cataclysm has worn off. At least that is the sense I get from posters with a lot of experience with WoW - how long content keeps them content. Of course these are already disaffected players, so probably not a representative sample, but still, if PS3 launch goes well I see some people wandering back. But I don't see any big pick-up in subs till then.
____________________________
lolgaxe wrote:
When it comes to sitting around not doing anything for long periods of time, only being active for short windows, and marginal changes and sidegrades I'd say FFXI players were the perfect choice for politicians.


#93 Dec 08 2010 at 4:22 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
**
812 posts
Olorinus the Vile wrote:
The game as is has a core/kernel of players that love it despite its flaws.

You can count me in that group. I for one, can't wait for to see what the DEC patch brings, especially what little changes come with it that SE hasn't told us about yet like the chat transparency option they added last time.
____________________________
Abaddon Active Player Roster
- All your Fabul Sever are belong to us! -


1 2 Next »
This forum is read only
This Forum is Read Only!
Recent Visitors: 18 All times are in CST
Anonymous Guests (18)