Forum Settings
       
This Forum is Read Only

Communication: The Next Big HurdleFollow

#1 Dec 02 2010 at 10:11 AM Rating: Good
****
6,898 posts
The update has come and gone. There were some fantastic additions incorporated and the improvements to the UI were a godsend. However, I now find myself still staring at a mostly empty LS, and even when people ARE online, most of them don't even communicate. What I've found is that because of the way battles require constant focus, people just don't feel compelled to speak to one another because it is an absolute chore while doing anything battle related.

Wasn't SE supposed to be improving chat ability during battles? Has anything actually changed in that regard since release? I personally haven't noticed any difference since Beta Phase 3, and I think it is really killing the game. The reason I play mmo's is because of the people I play them with. I don't want to only be focused on battling all the time. I want to talk to my friends in game. I want to be able to casually chat about anything I want whenever I want. Instead, I find that the only times I am really chatting are when I'm crafting or when I'm searching market wards. And even while crafting, the chat log STILL resets every time you complete a synth or start a synth.

I posted in another thread that I think auto-attack might be the solution, but I'd like to get other thoughts on it. Although auto-attack would alleviate a lot of these issues, I really don't want the game to just become a ffxi clone with updated graphics. Is there a way to improve communication in the game without completely overhauling the battle interface? If anyone has any suggestions, I'd love to hear them.
____________________________
Bartel Hayward--- Ultros Server
The Kraken Club <ZAM>
50 WAR • 50 MNK • 50 MIN • 50 GSM • 50 ARM • 50 LTW • 50 CUL • 50 WVR
thekrakenclub.shivtr.com
#2 Dec 02 2010 at 10:25 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
***
1,104 posts
I agree with your sentiment that people don't communicate much in XIV. However I disagree that the underlying cause is the focus required in fights. If anything, the new SP system encourages LESS focus - even if you AFK you still get SP. You can type all you want because even if you dont do ANYTHING you'll get credit for whatever youre fighting.

In my opinion the underlying cause of the lack of communication is a poor chat interface. It has undoubtedly gotten better since release, but we are still dealing with chatbox truncation, lack of customizable chat tabs, few optional features, filters that break occasionally, lack of global channels and that godawful 85-character limit.

I agree 100% that difficulty in communicating is a huge problem plaguing that game right now. However, I believe that if SE wants to facilitate communication, they'll overhaul the chat interface. I'm not hopeful.
____________________________

Melaahna Valiera
#3 Dec 02 2010 at 10:25 AM Rating: Excellent
*
222 posts
Chatting during crafting is terrible too. Maybe a pause button would help.
____________________________


#4 Dec 02 2010 at 10:35 AM Rating: Excellent
***
3,825 posts
Seventhblood wrote:
Chatting during crafting is terrible too. Maybe a pause button would help.


I would sooo love a pause feature of some sort... it's not like pausing crafting affects any one other than you. There's been a few times where I've really PO'd the wife because I "had" (I know it was my choice) to finish a synth.
____________________________
FFXI:Sylph - Perrin 75 Hume THF; Retired (At least from my use any way)
EVE Online:ScraperX; Retired
WAR:IronClaw- Peryn SW;SkullThrone- Grymloc BO; Retired


#5 Dec 02 2010 at 10:40 AM Rating: Good
*
52 posts
I'm still firmly of the opinion that if you are playing any game of this sort and looking for communication you should highly consider a VoIP program such as Mumble or Vent.

Mine normally has between 15-20 people in various channels and it's wonderful. The functionality is there for communication even if it's not provided IG sufficiently.

Brandon
#6 Dec 02 2010 at 10:43 AM Rating: Decent
**
257 posts
*cough*auto-attack toggle ftw.*cough*
____________________________
FFXI(retired 04/2006): Epedemicoptikz, Phoenix Server, 75 SAM/NIN/WAR

#7 Dec 02 2010 at 10:52 AM Rating: Excellent
Scholar
**
805 posts
I get a kick out of comments that the lack of auto-attack is a serious issue in FFXIV. Playing Rng, Blm and (especially) Brd in FFXI, I didn't get to use auto-attack either. If anything, I like the fact that every job in FFXIV needs user input to take any action as it was often annoying in FFXI seeing characters that were obviously AFK and still whacking away - or not (when the mob moved for example).

Splitting chat windows so chat doesn't get lost in battle / crafting spam is a good addition. Base fighting mechanics that effectively queue actions also helps to create gaps where you can type something.

I agree, though, that the inability to pause while crafting is a big pain in the ****.
____________________________
Lokithor
Shiva Server
Linkshell: Soulfire
Rng/Blm/Thf/Brd/Dnc
#8 Dec 02 2010 at 11:06 AM Rating: Excellent
Scholar
*
245 posts
I don't think an auto attack would be the answer. With the battle system the way it is, i think an attack queue system would work better.

If we could input the next 3 to 5 moves we wanted to perform, and queue up our attack sequence, that would give us enough time to chat/whatever, and still give us full control over combat.

If that's not clear enough, imagine another bar on top of your stamina bar that would piece the commands in order. You could stack the commands to a full stamina bar. So if your basic attack takes 1/4 of your stamina to use, you would be able to queue up 4 standard attacks. Then, whenever you have sufficient stamina to perform the next move on your queue, it would automatically process that attack.

Something like this:

The first line being your queued attacks, and the second being your stamina bar.

|lightpunch| |heavypunch| |*****secondwind*****| 
|useable stamina*******||______________________|
#9 Dec 02 2010 at 11:38 AM Rating: Good
***
3,416 posts
Quote:
I don't think an auto attack would be the answer. With the battle system the way it is, i think an attack queue system would work better.


This sounds more like it.

Although I don't consider it a bad thing that you don't have time to tell stories during battles. Some simple forms of communication should be available like how you can mark the monsters and stuff, but really. You aren't fighting all the time, there are breaks and time for chitchat during, inbetween and after leves.
____________________________
SE:
Quote:
We really want to compete against World of Warcraft and for example the new Star Wars MMO.

#10 Dec 02 2010 at 12:16 PM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
***
1,330 posts
ZoosRfun wrote:
I don't think an auto attack would be the answer. With the battle system the way it is, i think an attack queue system would work better.

If we could input the next 3 to 5 moves we wanted to perform, and queue up our attack sequence, that would give us enough time to chat/whatever, and still give us full control over combat.

If that's not clear enough, imagine another bar on top of your stamina bar that would piece the commands in order. You could stack the commands to a full stamina bar. So if your basic attack takes 1/4 of your stamina to use, you would be able to queue up 4 standard attacks. Then, whenever you have sufficient stamina to perform the next move on your queue, it would automatically process that attack.

Something like this:

The first line being your queued attacks, and the second being your stamina bar.

|lightpunch| |heavypunch| |*****secondwind*****| 
|useable stamina*******||______________________|


This sounds an awful lot like how FFXIII's combat works. >_>
#11 Dec 02 2010 at 12:28 PM Rating: Excellent
Scholar
***
1,842 posts
ZoosRfun wrote:
I don't think an auto attack would be the answer. With the battle system the way it is, i think an attack queue system would work better.

If we could input the next 3 to 5 moves we wanted to perform, and queue up our attack sequence, that would give us enough time to chat/whatever, and still give us full control over combat.

If that's not clear enough, imagine another bar on top of your stamina bar that would piece the commands in order. You could stack the commands to a full stamina bar. So if your basic attack takes 1/4 of your stamina to use, you would be able to queue up 4 standard attacks. Then, whenever you have sufficient stamina to perform the next move on your queue, it would automatically process that attack.

Something like this:

The first line being your queued attacks, and the second being your stamina bar.

|lightpunch| |heavypunch| |*****secondwind*****| 
|useable stamina*******||______________________|

Sounds like Xwnogears and it sounds like a winner to me.
____________________________
FFXIV Dyvid (Awaiting 2.0)
FFXI Dyvid ~ Pandemonium (Retired)
SWTOR Dy'vid Legacy - Canderous Ordo
#12 Dec 02 2010 at 12:43 PM Rating: Good
****
6,898 posts
ZoosRfun wrote:
I don't think an auto attack would be the answer. With the battle system the way it is, i think an attack queue system would work better.

If we could input the next 3 to 5 moves we wanted to perform, and queue up our attack sequence, that would give us enough time to chat/whatever, and still give us full control over combat.

If that's not clear enough, imagine another bar on top of your stamina bar that would piece the commands in order. You could stack the commands to a full stamina bar. So if your basic attack takes 1/4 of your stamina to use, you would be able to queue up 4 standard attacks. Then, whenever you have sufficient stamina to perform the next move on your queue, it would automatically process that attack.

Something like this:

The first line being your queued attacks, and the second being your stamina bar.

|lightpunch| |heavypunch| |*****secondwind*****| 
|useable stamina*******||______________________|


That really does sound like a fantastic idea. I always liked attack queue's in games that had them, and it would eliminate the need for auto-attack. Good thinking, I'd recommend submitting that in the feedback site.
____________________________
Bartel Hayward--- Ultros Server
The Kraken Club <ZAM>
50 WAR • 50 MNK • 50 MIN • 50 GSM • 50 ARM • 50 LTW • 50 CUL • 50 WVR
thekrakenclub.shivtr.com
#13 Dec 02 2010 at 12:49 PM Rating: Excellent
Scholar
*
245 posts
Ravashack wrote:


This sounds an awful lot like how FFXIII's combat works. >_>


Well, kind of. The system i'm thinking for 14 won't wait until the stamina bar is completely full before it activates the next attack in the sequence. It will basically keep you at 0 stamina unless you fail to input enough commands.

To be fair, 14's battle system is already a lot like 13's. Except clunkier. Imagine not having the auto chain command in 13. And not being able to queue up 3 attacks. You would have to select each attack when you wanted to attack. That would be very unintuitive for how 13 plays, and the system in 14 is equally unintuitive in my opinion.
#14 Dec 02 2010 at 2:28 PM Rating: Decent
**
660 posts
I played Red Mage in FFXI, so having no auto-attack isn't an issue for me. I certainly don't think it's a major reason for the lack of communication though.

Seriously, voice chat is vastly more efficient then typing things out. It's easy to access via hotkey and easy to use - you talk. Besides being a mute or being a crazy sociophobic shut-in there's no better way to communicate. That, and it's something SE. cant ***** up.
____________________________


#15 Dec 02 2010 at 2:39 PM Rating: Excellent
*
85 posts
Being available to all the world though, I can see how language can be a barrier at times. At least typing has auto-translate for some simple functions. That is not to say I think there is a problem with the current system mind you. I honestly can't give a good opinion. I played Corsair who used ranged attacked on my "down time" in fights.

I think the difference is, if you type a lot to say stuff, it's apparent you aren't doing what you need to. So people will see you idle. I don't know if that created an issue who know. Maybe this is just a good way to get us to type faster in general. Nothing wrong with more WPM, right?
#16 Dec 02 2010 at 2:45 PM Rating: Excellent
*
126 posts
PerrinofSylph wrote:
Seventhblood wrote:
Chatting during crafting is terrible too. Maybe a pause button would help.


There's been a few times where I've really PO'd the wife because I "had" (I know it was my choice) to finish a synth.


I know how that goes :(
____________________________
#17 Dec 02 2010 at 2:56 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
*
76 posts
People dont talk because they dont want to talk or there is nothing in game to talk about.

Auto attack or action queue do make it easier to type in combat but it wont help the current situration because it is not the real problem.
This forum is read only
This Forum is Read Only!
Recent Visitors: 24 All times are in CST
Anonymous Guests (24)