Forum Settings
       
This Forum is Read Only

Accuracy and failed synthesis attempts..Follow

#1 Dec 03 2010 at 3:57 AM Rating: Default
Scholar
35 posts
Seeing its emergency maintenance on all worlds, I thought to ask the community what they had experienced about the topic.

Sometimes my DoW can miss a blue mob 5 times straight in a row.. or my DoH can fail 5 standard synths (white orb) straight. With regards to accuracy, I know overall there has been better accuracy with fights, but it's still frustrating to see it happen at times.

It makes me wonder if there are actual dice rolls behind the scenes, or did SE program it such that no matter what you do, there will be 100% failures/miss rates. Even in FFXI you would not miss a "Easy prey" mob 5 times in a row.

Has anyone else experienced this issue?
____________________________


#2 Dec 03 2010 at 4:23 AM Rating: Decent
12 posts
I haven't noticed any problems with my accuracy in melee-- in fact, I see a significant improvement. Crafting on the other hand... /facepalm

I don't know why, but it seems (at least for me), that elements are working opposite of normal lately when crafting. With most of my points in Fire and Wind, I'm continuously having a problem with those two elements going unstable... when I switched my points around, my highest elements were again the ones constantly becoming unstable.

I wouldn't care if it wasn't happening on the first or second failed synth. Even with a full set of crafting gear just below my rank, I'm having this happen on synths that I've never had a problem with pre-patch... What's making it worse is that for some reason I'm completely unable to stabilize the elements whatsoever, no matter how many successes I have in synth.



On a side note, I also had an incident where after 4 consecutive 20% progress standard synths, I managed to fail on an item several ranks below me. The element went unstable on the 5th synth out of nowhere (Fire, which I had 102 fire at the time)... so I waited twice, used Epiphany when it came up, and hit standard... BOOOOOOM! 81 quality and 165 fricken durability lost. Yeah, a HUNDRED and SIXTY-FREAKIN-FIVE. =/

1
6
5

Talk about a WHAT THE ($*@#(*u&@(#&*(??!?!!!!

I'm still pretty ****** about that one >.< At least it hasn't happened again since then...
#3 Dec 03 2010 at 4:53 AM Rating: Decent
*
74 posts
I broke 5 times in a row at 100% on a 4ranks above me material. Unusual or bad luck? But no. There was no crafting guild mark on me.
#4 Dec 03 2010 at 5:03 AM Rating: Good
**
696 posts
As far as accuracy it appears that you have 2 different rolls going on. You have a roll where your accuracy is great enough to hit the enemy. Which a fail would result in a "miss." Then the enemy has an evasion roll to avoid your attack which would result in an "evade." Same with an enemies' attack on you. This i s pretty common among all games. There is always some equation using your relevant stats against an enemies relevant stats and often there's a little luck involved in the deal. A video game or even a browser game is nothing but 1 big math problem. If you think of it that way it becomes much easier to understand. So in short there are many dice being rolled behind the scenes.
#5 Dec 03 2010 at 5:12 AM Rating: Decent
12 posts
zoltanrs wrote:
As far as accuracy it appears that you have 2 different rolls going on. You have a roll where your accuracy is great enough to hit the enemy. Which a fail would result in a "miss." Then the enemy has an evasion roll to avoid your attack which would result in an "evade." Same with an enemies' attack on you. This i s pretty common among all games. There is always some equation using your relevant stats against an enemies relevant stats and often there's a little luck involved in the deal. A video game or even a browser game is nothing but 1 big math problem. If you think of it that way it becomes much easier to understand. So in short there are many dice being rolled behind the scenes.


This is quite true. The problem here is that I think someone rigged our dice to lose accidentally... o.O
#6 Dec 03 2010 at 5:12 AM Rating: Excellent
Scholar
***
3,226 posts
zoltanrs wrote:
As far as accuracy it appears that you have 2 different rolls going on. You have a roll where your accuracy is great enough to hit the enemy. Which a fail would result in a "miss." Then the enemy has an evasion roll to avoid your attack which would result in an "evade."

Yes, that's all fine and dandy. The problem there is no way I've yet seen for players to overcome mob evades. Accuracy reduces misses, all right, but you'll still see evade after evade after evade with no way to stop it.

It's maddening. Almost makes you want to assassinate the archduke of Austria-Hungary.
____________________________
w(°o°)w
#7 Dec 03 2010 at 5:14 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
*
74 posts
Zopharr1 has probably won the lottery, that has to be a 1 in a Trillion.
____________________________


#8 Dec 03 2010 at 5:20 AM Rating: Decent
**
696 posts
Yeah they made a great stride at fixing the problem but it still needs tweaking. It takes a while to get a complex equation like this to work across so many variables. Every part of the numbers used in this case change on every person and every mob. Give it a little time. They'll get it ironed out. Sometimes in making even simple games a seemingly simple thing like this can be the toughest thing of all to get right. They can't have you nailing every hit on every monster and they can;t have you missing in droves. Not simple to fix at all. They have to keep a balance firm enough to make even having accuracy be worth keeping in the game. Otherwise it's a failure of a stat.
#9 Dec 03 2010 at 5:24 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
*
74 posts
Btw.. was that blue solo blue or party blue? I rarely miss a blue in solo, I don't even wear accuracy rings for solo. But in parties a blue could con red.
____________________________


#10 Dec 03 2010 at 6:18 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
35 posts
@Bozmo: It was solo blue, perhaps a level or two from green. I'm not saying it happens frequently but saying that it just happens. Its like for some freak short period of time, you will just keep missing, or the mob evades. After that however, your character will start hitting consistently again.

I'm perfectly fine with the fact with missing/evade occasionally but to see it happen a few times in a row is maddening.



____________________________


#11 Dec 03 2010 at 7:11 AM Rating: Decent
**
821 posts
I'm crafting a lot...and after the patch, nothing changed for me. I still fail/succeed as much as before. I never had a problem with crafting stuff. The only things that I might botch more then I can bare, is the ones needing trainings I don't have or if the item is like 4+ ranks above me. But meh...when I'm Rank 31 and I attempt an item thats 35 and I botch it, I don't get mad...that's how it is...many people just seem to don't bother doing more than spamming standard...if you botch like that, it's your own fault.

According to accuracy...to be fair...I see a slight increase on accuracy on my gladiator...but it's not that much that I don't get frustrated sometimes missing 3 times in a row on a mob, I would kill in 3 hits...
#12 Dec 03 2010 at 7:18 AM Rating: Good
Right after the nov patch i felt like accuracy was hitting above 90% of my weaponskills, right now im feeling this lowered to 60-70% almost to the point where it was before patch. I sense a ninja nerf on accuracy.

If we had good accuracy food to get us back to 90%+ it would be good even for the poor culinarian guys that have to beg to sell, but SE never released a "Menu" with Food effects or ever cared to create food with significant boost to attack or accuracy to make us bother spending gil on it.
#13 Dec 03 2010 at 7:42 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
*
74 posts
MclarenTAGPorsche wrote:
Right after the nov patch i felt like accuracy was hitting above 90% of my weaponskills, right now im feeling this lowered to 60-70% almost to the point where it was before patch. I sense a ninja nerf on accuracy.

If we had good accuracy food to get us back to 90%+ it would be good even for the poor culinarian guys that have to beg to sell, but SE never released a "Menu" with Food effects or ever cared to create food with significant boost to attack or accuracy to make us bother spending gil on it.



http://ffxiv.zam.com/forum.html?forum=152&mid=1286839511179099217&howmany=50

This menu that someone data mined is pretty useful. The bonus does not look as appealing as FFXI ones because they give +5 Accuracy, +5 Attack while FFXI gave a high percent. But we shouldn't be comparing the 2 food directly as this game's mechanics may differ very much from FFXI.

But then again, I wouldn't waste gils on food to grind blue monsters. I hope they bring back the team work in sp grinds.
____________________________


#14 Dec 03 2010 at 8:10 AM Rating: Good
Avatar
*
76 posts
seavida wrote:
Seeing its emergency maintenance on all worlds, I thought to ask the community what they had experienced about the topic.

Sometimes my DoW can miss a blue mob 5 times straight in a row.. or my DoH can fail 5 standard synths (white orb) straight. With regards to accuracy, I know overall there has been better accuracy with fights, but it's still frustrating to see it happen at times.

It makes me wonder if there are actual dice rolls behind the scenes, or did SE program it such that no matter what you do, there will be 100% failures/miss rates. Even in FFXI you would not miss a "Easy prey" mob 5 times in a row.

Has anyone else experienced this issue?


I dont see any problem there.

If you keep rolling a dice, you will prolly get a "1" 5 times straight at some point, its not something odd.

#15 Dec 03 2010 at 8:40 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
***
1,151 posts
I have never failed five times in a row and had it stay white the whole time.

On a whim I have tried to craft something way above my level and had multiple elements unstable at once.
#16 Dec 03 2010 at 9:05 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
**
685 posts
Statistics suck, don't they?
____________________________

Crafter Consortium Craftsman/Gatherers Linkshell
#17 Dec 04 2010 at 4:35 AM Rating: Excellent
**
437 posts
Siulang wrote:


If you keep rolling a dice, you will prolly get a "1" 5 times straight at some point, its not something odd.



nitpick: a die, two dice.

It is quite odd when it happens synth after synth after synth on something that is lower than your rank. But then there is the question on SHOULD you be rolling dice for a synth in the first place? Why does everything have to have a chance to fail? I don't have a chance to fail when I cast Thunder. I cast it... the mob resists based on my level, it's elemental defense, etc but the action itself does not fail to go off or hurt me instead of the mob.

As it stands right now, not ONLY does any given action have a chance to succeed or fail, if it DOES succeed it gives a RANDOM amount of progress, a RANDOM amount of quality and a RANDOM loss of durability. Why should I have to roll the dice that many times? All crafting is right now is a fancy animation for your character flipping a coin and determining whether it succeeds or fails. It is not fun and it certainly doesn't make any real sense since your skill SHOULD have SOME factor in all of this.

I just did 2 leve quests on my 16 weaver. The first was a 20 leve quest asking me to make a optimal rank 23 item. I did not expect to be able to complete it, but I just wanted to grab the leves I could before the reset. I KNEW I would not succeed when it told me that my lvl 14 leatherworking was too low for the synth. Yet, I did it anyway. What happened? I failed the first one miserably and easily completed the remaining 4 synths. My other leve quest was a lvl 10 levequest. I have made hempen cloth for levels upon levels. I wasn't going to get the recommended clothshop support, but not wanting to take chances, I did. I botched 4/5 synths and failed the levequest. W-T-F?

Do you wake up one morning, walk down to the kitchen, take some bread, peanut butter and jelly and all of a sudden fail to make a peanut butter and jelly sandwich?
____________________________
行く河の流れは絶えずしてしかも元の水にあらず。よどみに浮かぶ泡沫はかつ消えかつ結びて久しくとどまりたる例なし世の中にある人と住みかも全くのごとき。 -方丈記
#18 Dec 04 2010 at 5:58 AM Rating: Decent
Avatar
*
76 posts
shinichoco wrote:


Do you wake up one morning, walk down to the kitchen, take some bread, peanut butter and jelly and all of a sudden fail to make a peanut butter and jelly sandwich?


Yes, it happens. The bread slip fm my hand and falls onto the ground.

Guess what? The side with peanut butter and jelly always land first.
#19 Dec 04 2010 at 6:03 AM Rating: Good
***
2,120 posts
shinichoco wrote:

It is not fun and it certainly doesn't make any real sense since your skill SHOULD have SOME factor in all of this.


Your skill & stats do have some factor in it. The higher rank you are above the synth, the less chance you have for bad luck. Though it does get frustrating at times and can make you think otherwise.

Quote:
Do you wake up one morning, walk down to the kitchen, take some bread, peanut butter and jelly and all of a sudden fail to make a peanut butter and jelly sandwich?


I've done far worse than that. I've finished eating, walked to the kitchen & placed the trash in the fridge & the ketchup bottle into the trash can.
____________________________

#20 Dec 04 2010 at 7:06 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
*
225 posts
The guild mark leve items are easier to synth, when you're below its level. Getting successes on all attempts much easier.

After the patch most standard attempts seems to me to fail alot less, than it did. (Especially on synths 1 rank above your rank)

I've hit unstable elements on higher ranking synths, than my current level, a couple times per synth and still managed to succeed on them. I still don't hit unstable elements on synths I outrank. My stats and elements are balanced out, considering how often I change classes, it was neccessary to keep them that way.

Another change I did notice on synths that are far below your rank, standard has a bigger fail rate than bold, especially at the beginning of the synth.
____________________________


#21 Dec 06 2010 at 1:01 PM Rating: Good
Wow. I was just griping about the same thing in a new thread...

I lost 45 Durability yesterday b/c I attempted a synth while the element was unstable, and, check this, my Quality decreased by 65. I've never heard of Quality decreasing until then. Odd.
____________________________

#22 Dec 06 2010 at 3:18 PM Rating: Good
26 posts
Face east while the moon phase is on waning and the tide is low with a mild breeze also Equip a fire stave and ask your entire ls to keep their fingers crossed.
#23 Dec 06 2010 at 3:44 PM Rating: Decent
8 posts
I, and most people i have spoken too seem to think the synthesis has become easier. Dyed Canvas for example had a very high failure rate at 23 with no training, post patch i went 5 for 5 in a leve and havent had a problem since (the odd fail ofcourse).
This forum is read only
This Forum is Read Only!
Recent Visitors: 24 All times are in CST
Anonymous Guests (24)