Forum Settings
       
This Forum is Read Only

Emergency Maitenance For fishing hooksFollow

#1 Dec 03 2010 at 6:15 AM Rating: Good
13 posts
Hour and a half long EMERGENCY. Bone fishing hooks were synthing in stacks of 12 instead of 4. Thank god they hotfixed that, that sh*t has been ruining my play experience all week.

Edited, Dec 3rd 2010 7:17am by Meatgazin
____________________________


#2 Dec 03 2010 at 6:17 AM Rating: Decent
**
763 posts
lol seriously? They did an update for fish hooks? REALLY?? lol

next they'll do a 10 hour maintenance to change the color of lauan lumber.
#3 Dec 03 2010 at 6:19 AM Rating: Excellent
13 posts
God we can only hope were so lucky, the off white tint to it does no justice
____________________________


#4 Dec 03 2010 at 6:19 AM Rating: Decent
You do realize it was likely more than this right? The hook thing was probably just one of the patch changes they figured people would actually notice.
____________________________
FINAL FANTASY XIV Roleplayer

Sair Gammonari - Hyur Midlander Male - Conjurer (Somewhat retired.)
Mihana Zhralyia - Miqo'te Seeker of the Sun Female - Archer



#5 Dec 03 2010 at 6:21 AM Rating: Good
13 posts
I'm sorry, perhaps I should have been more blatanly sarcastic.
____________________________


#6 Dec 03 2010 at 6:28 AM Rating: Good
**
763 posts
lol, I for one, loved your response. =)
#7 Dec 03 2010 at 6:43 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
*
176 posts
Noooooo! Not my fish hooks!!!
____________________________

TERA looks tasty...
#8 Dec 03 2010 at 6:48 AM Rating: Good
13 posts
good it's about time those dirty cheating fishers got their come-uppins! rabble rabble rabble. :)

typing from a cellphone is hard



Edited, Dec 3rd 2010 7:50am by AlainaM
#9 Dec 03 2010 at 7:58 AM Rating: Decent
**
763 posts
Yep. They're taking the game seriously now. Later today there will be an emergency maintenance because my conjurer's hat isn't on straight and they need to fix it! The process should take roughly 5 hours.
#10 Dec 03 2010 at 7:59 AM Rating: Decent
**
763 posts
Oh, and maybe they'll fix that stray hair that keeps poking me in the eye.. but I don't want to say too much, cause then it would be 10 hours instead.
#11 Dec 03 2010 at 8:28 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
513 posts
Can't wait for the mass bannings!
____________________________
#12 Dec 03 2010 at 8:56 AM Rating: Good
***
3,416 posts
The recipe was used in a gil exploit.

So yeah, I think in this case the fast maintenance was quite necessary.
____________________________
SE:
Quote:
We really want to compete against World of Warcraft and for example the new Star Wars MMO.

#13 Dec 03 2010 at 9:12 AM Rating: Decent
**
660 posts
Hyanmen wrote:
The recipe was used in a gil exploit.

So yeah, I think in this case the fast maintenance was quite necessary.


Care to elaborate? Also, what's your source on this?
____________________________


#14 Dec 03 2010 at 9:22 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
**
685 posts
But the other fish hooks all synth 12 per synth.
____________________________

Crafter Consortium Craftsman/Gatherers Linkshell
#15 Dec 03 2010 at 9:54 AM Rating: Good
***
3,416 posts
Quote:
Care to elaborate? Also, what's your source on this?


If this post gets defaulted too- sure!

You can buy Soiled Femur from NPC for 2400, synth 12 hooks, sell for 390 a piece and get twice as much gil.
____________________________
SE:
Quote:
We really want to compete against World of Warcraft and for example the new Star Wars MMO.

#16Ararmoire, Posted: Dec 03 2010 at 10:06 AM, Rating: Sub-Default, (Expand Post) Lol I love the previous posts, made me laugh. So, people that know how to add and subtract are exploiting this game? Not saying that this shouldn't have been changed, but calling this an exploit seems to be a bit of a stretch. Not like this was a glitch that people were using to gain an extreme advantage over others. Just people making a profit from selling to the vendors because an oversight from the dev team. But then again, this fish hook makers could be trying to take over the world by secretly making billions of gil selling to vendors >_>
#17 Dec 03 2010 at 10:11 AM Rating: Good
**
800 posts
Ararmoire wrote:
Lol I love the previous posts, made me laugh. So, people that know how to add and subtract are exploiting this game? Not saying that this shouldn't have been changed, but calling this an exploit seems to be a bit of a stretch. Not like this was a glitch that people were using to gain an extreme advantage over others. Just people making a profit from selling to the vendors because an oversight from the dev team. But then again, this fish hook makers could be trying to take over the world by secretly making billions of gil selling to vendors >_>

I'm pretty sure that they did more on this emergency update than just fix the fish hook issue. From the way they worded it really leaves me to believe that. You know SE doesn't always say all of what they did on an update. If they do, it tends to be a good bit afterwards.


This example fits the definition of "exploit" perfectly. They exploited the system in a manner that was not intended by the game developers to achieve something the developers didn't intend. In no MMO can you endlessly profit by converting an NPC buyable item into an NPC sellable item. It wasn't a huge exploit no, but it was still an exploit. I doubt anyone got banned, and SE fixed it, so all is good. But yes, it was an exploit.

#18 Dec 03 2010 at 10:13 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
*
105 posts
Wait what? What fish hooks and what about exploiting gil? I wish I had in on some of that :(
____________________________

#19 Dec 03 2010 at 10:28 AM Rating: Default
****
6,898 posts
Hydragyrum wrote:
Ararmoire wrote:
Lol I love the previous posts, made me laugh. So, people that know how to add and subtract are exploiting this game? Not saying that this shouldn't have been changed, but calling this an exploit seems to be a bit of a stretch. Not like this was a glitch that people were using to gain an extreme advantage over others. Just people making a profit from selling to the vendors because an oversight from the dev team. But then again, this fish hook makers could be trying to take over the world by secretly making billions of gil selling to vendors >_>

I'm pretty sure that they did more on this emergency update than just fix the fish hook issue. From the way they worded it really leaves me to believe that. You know SE doesn't always say all of what they did on an update. If they do, it tends to be a good bit afterwards.


This example fits the definition of "exploit" perfectly. They exploited the system in a manner that was not intended by the game developers to achieve something the developers didn't intend. In no MMO can you endlessly profit by converting an NPC buyable item into an NPC sellable item. It wasn't a huge exploit no, but it was still an exploit. I doubt anyone got banned, and SE fixed it, so all is good. But yes, it was an exploit.



Lol, if that's your idea of an exploit... wow. There was nothing unethical or unjust about doing this. Granted, it was wise for SE to fix this, but I really don't think you can consider this an exploit. To me, an exploit would be the SP glitch that got corrected a couple weeks after launch. Not this.
____________________________
Bartel Hayward--- Ultros Server
The Kraken Club <ZAM>
50 WAR • 50 MNK • 50 MIN • 50 GSM • 50 ARM • 50 LTW • 50 CUL • 50 WVR
thekrakenclub.shivtr.com
#20 Dec 03 2010 at 10:34 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
**
315 posts
There was a similar exploit in FFXI. I was told people did get banned for using it but I wasn't playing yet so I don't know for sure. I doubt anyone has been banned or will be otherwise they would have probably said something like they did with the conjurer exploit.
#21 Dec 03 2010 at 10:37 AM Rating: Default
Avatar
***
1,339 posts
Hydragyrum wrote:
Ararmoire wrote:
Lol I love the previous posts, made me laugh. So, people that know how to add and subtract are exploiting this game? Not saying that this shouldn't have been changed, but calling this an exploit seems to be a bit of a stretch. Not like this was a glitch that people were using to gain an extreme advantage over others. Just people making a profit from selling to the vendors because an oversight from the dev team. But then again, this fish hook makers could be trying to take over the world by secretly making billions of gil selling to vendors >_>

I'm pretty sure that they did more on this emergency update than just fix the fish hook issue. From the way they worded it really leaves me to believe that. You know SE doesn't always say all of what they did on an update. If they do, it tends to be a good bit afterwards.


This example fits the definition of "exploit" perfectly. They exploited the system in a manner that was not intended by the game developers to achieve something the developers didn't intend. In no MMO can you endlessly profit by converting an NPC buyable item into an NPC sellable item. It wasn't a huge exploit no, but it was still an exploit. I doubt anyone got banned, and SE fixed it, so all is good. But yes, it was an exploit.



Hai guyz...

Taking some items, and turning them into some other items, then selling those made items for money...

...IZ EXPLOITZ!

(Gotta love the FFMMO definition of what's an exploit. You guys would call people that can put their shoes on without bending over an exploit).
#22 Dec 03 2010 at 10:38 AM Rating: Good
*
175 posts
Just remember to load your retainer back up after each update. It seems like it takes most people days to notice while the Market wards are empty... like now....
____________________________

Skills & Levels: lodestone.finalfantasyxiv.com/rc/character/status?cicuid=1355392
Bazaar: ffxiv.yg.com/bazaar?fl&mn=Shounin&srv=17
100 local levequests completed!
100 regional levequests completed!
2000 enemies defeated!
#23 Dec 03 2010 at 10:45 AM Rating: Decent
**
845 posts
gennji wrote:
Just remember to load your retainer back up after each update. It seems like it takes most people days to notice while the Market wards are empty... like now....


Another thing that wouldnt really be an issue if we had an Auction House.
____________________________

#24 Dec 03 2010 at 10:48 AM Rating: Decent
*
175 posts
Oh yeah! Anything is better than checking Bazaar one after another... Leaving the AH system and bringing in this "Flea Market" type of system is just lame
____________________________

Skills & Levels: lodestone.finalfantasyxiv.com/rc/character/status?cicuid=1355392
Bazaar: ffxiv.yg.com/bazaar?fl&mn=Shounin&srv=17
100 local levequests completed!
100 regional levequests completed!
2000 enemies defeated!
#25 Dec 03 2010 at 10:50 AM Rating: Excellent
**
800 posts
BartelX wrote:
Lol, if that's your idea of an exploit... wow. There was nothing unethical or unjust about doing this. Granted, it was wise for SE to fix this, but I really don't think you can consider this an exploit. To me, an exploit would be the SP glitch that got corrected a couple weeks after launch. Not this.


It's not MY idea of an exploit, it's SE's idea of an exploit. You said yourself it was wise for SE to fix it, implying it was broken.

I don't really care what your opinion of an exploit is, I was just clarifying that in SE's eyes this WAS an exploit. Plain and simple.
#26 Dec 03 2010 at 11:31 AM Rating: Default
5 posts
It looks like people are forgetting about shards.
This synth cost 7 shards.
The profit from this "exploit" is 2280 gil per synth.

It means that doing this is like selling shards for 325 apiece, which is close to the usual market price.
The absolute worst that can happen is an slight increase in water and wind shard value that will quickly go back to normal when they fix it. Hardly an emergency.

#27cornyboob, Posted: Dec 03 2010 at 11:43 AM, Rating: Sub-Default, (Expand Post) JEsus F'ing christ.......
#28 Dec 03 2010 at 12:16 PM Rating: Decent
***
1,612 posts
Dear SE,

Thank you for finding the "major" issue with the Bone Fish Hooks synth. It's definitely a huge issue and is affecting the game play for all of your subscribers. However, I feel you have done so much for your player base already, that you can set aside this issue for now, and take a break. Just fix the "minor" issue with 30+ SP and we'll call it done for the year. Oh and implement an AH.

Thanks,

Cor
____________________________
"Abashed, the devil stood, and felt how awful goodness is..."
#29 Dec 03 2010 at 12:37 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
1,098 posts
Hmmm,fishing stopped working for me after last update no bites, timers start at 15min count, circle don't show on large map till i'm close and other stuff maybe these bone fish hooks was the cause of my woe.
____________________________





#30 Dec 03 2010 at 12:47 PM Rating: Decent
****
9,526 posts
Warmech wrote:
Hmmm,fishing stopped working for me after last update no bites, timers start at 15min count, circle don't show on large map till i'm close and other stuff maybe these bone fish hooks was the cause of my woe.


really? Fishing has been working fine for me. You need to use the correct bait for the area, however.
____________________________
lolgaxe wrote:
When it comes to sitting around not doing anything for long periods of time, only being active for short windows, and marginal changes and sidegrades I'd say FFXI players were the perfect choice for politicians.


#31 Dec 03 2010 at 1:44 PM Rating: Default
*
246 posts
Hydragyrum wrote:
BartelX wrote:
Lol, if that's your idea of an exploit... wow. There was nothing unethical or unjust about doing this. Granted, it was wise for SE to fix this, but I really don't think you can consider this an exploit. To me, an exploit would be the SP glitch that got corrected a couple weeks after launch. Not this.


It's not MY idea of an exploit, it's SE's idea of an exploit. You said yourself it was wise for SE to fix it, implying it was broken.

I don't really care what your opinion of an exploit is, I was just clarifying that in SE's eyes this WAS an exploit. Plain and simple.



You should be more clear when you what you say. You said that it is the exact definition of an exploit. Leading people to believe that you think that it is an exploit. Then you go to say that its SE's opinion of what an exploit is and not yours. Please pay attention to what you say, it can lead to confusion.

I would like to know why I've been defaulted now. I haven't said anything rude in my posts or anything. How do I go from a good rating to sub-default for no apparent reason? Oh well. I still feel that you can't really call this an exploit, unless you're using SE's definition of it. I wouldn't have sold fishhooks that way if I knew about it, but that's just how I am. I prefer to sell to actual playing characters.

____________________________
#32 Dec 03 2010 at 3:08 PM Rating: Excellent
Scholar
Avatar
***
1,235 posts
Ararmoire wrote:
Lol I love the previous posts, made me laugh. So, people that know how to add and subtract are exploiting this game? Not saying that this shouldn't have been changed, but calling this an exploit seems to be a bit of a stretch. Not like this was a glitch that people were using to gain an extreme advantage over others. Just people making a profit from selling to the vendors because an oversight from the dev team. But then again, this fish hook makers could be trying to take over the world by secretly making billions of gil selling to vendors >_>

I'm pretty sure that they did more on this emergency update than just fix the fish hook issue. From the way they worded it really leaves me to believe that. You know SE doesn't always say all of what they did on an update. If they do, it tends to be a good bit afterwards.


Obviously you never paid attention to the results of this kind of behavior/action.
It takes a small percentage of the server to exploit this and flood gil into the economy. It results in your purchase of a 5k item to quickly turn into a 50k item, rather quickly.
The results of gil exploiting are fast and long-lasting. They let this get out of control in XI numerous times before they realized the danger of ignoring it until the next update.
It caused a 10000+% rise in inflation that never truly leveled out.
So what you find funny atm, won't be funny if SE ignored it and a month from now you were paying 100k for sheepskins or copper ores or whatever the case may be.
____________________________


"Don't take it personally man, white knights would eat a can of **** if the label said SE on it. If anyone dared mention that it was not a good product, they'd just argue if someone can't appreciate the subtle nuances in the ****, they should just go back to eating lolrealfood, cuz the devs prolly know more about canning food than they do."
#33 Dec 03 2010 at 3:30 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
**
812 posts
ScaryTrees wrote:
There was a similar exploit in FFXI. I was told people did get banned for using it but I wasn't playing yet so I don't know for sure. I doubt anyone has been banned or will be otherwise they would have probably said something like they did with the conjurer exploit.

you mean the distilled water exploit? lol yeah that one was awesome! it was in the game forever before it got fixed.
____________________________
Abaddon Active Player Roster
- All your Fabul Sever are belong to us! -


#34 Dec 03 2010 at 3:57 PM Rating: Excellent
Scholar
Avatar
***
1,235 posts
Jefro420 wrote:
ScaryTrees wrote:
There was a similar exploit in FFXI. I was told people did get banned for using it but I wasn't playing yet so I don't know for sure. I doubt anyone has been banned or will be otherwise they would have probably said something like they did with the conjurer exploit.

you mean the distilled water exploit? lol yeah that one was awesome! it was in the game forever before it got fixed.


Oh yeah, distilled water..
There was also the jellyfish one at bibiki bay, and the infamous and ulimate economy breaker- rusty buckets. Some third party program let u fish and choco dig stuff like gold beds up and they sold for lots too.
There was also a gil dupe exploit during the rusty bucket days, but that got squashed within a week.
All in all SE's apathy in the first few years really cost the economy an unrecoverable blow. The gil sellers alone flooded the economy to the point that you were getting charged 100k for a small stack of NQ food. Add in the damage from normal players exploiting, and it was almost incalcuable.
Many think it was the mass RMT bannings and the wiping of their gil holding accounts that brought the economy down to tolerable leves in the late years of the game. Surely it helped - but it was the heavy end-game population that caused most of the recovery. By that time the majority of players were equipped with rare/ex gear and flooded the market with the discarded crafted stuff, resulting in massive overstock which ulimately caused deflation. That however took years.

Edited, Dec 3rd 2010 4:59pm by Restyoneck
____________________________


"Don't take it personally man, white knights would eat a can of **** if the label said SE on it. If anyone dared mention that it was not a good product, they'd just argue if someone can't appreciate the subtle nuances in the ****, they should just go back to eating lolrealfood, cuz the devs prolly know more about canning food than they do."
#35 Dec 03 2010 at 5:30 PM Rating: Good
****
7,106 posts
Quote:
You should be more clear when you what you say. You said that it is the exact definition of an exploit.

The ability to stand next to an npc and make an unlimited amount of money IS an exploit.
Quote:
I would like to know why I've been defaulted now. I haven't said anything rude in my posts or anything.

One person, on a board with thousands of users, rated you down. If I had to guess, I'd imagine it was for your somewhat snarky tone, or maybe it was just because you didn't seem to see why the ability to make unlimited money without interacting with any players or monsters, or even moving from one spot, could be an exploit.

Now, *I* rated you down for complaining about karma.
#36 Dec 03 2010 at 8:31 PM Rating: Default
*
246 posts
I just typed up a big post, explaining in detail how I feel about the whole fishhook issue. Explaining my so called "complaining about karma" and the other things. But, I realized it is rather pointless discussing stuff with people when they would rather rate you down than have a discussion.

I'll simply say this. I know what karma is, wasn't complaining about the rate down, was just curious as to why. I do realize how this can become a big issue for our economy, that's commonsense. No, I didn't explain in detail about that. I preferred to be sarcastic and laugh about it. Though I do know I didn't say anything about this update being dumb and that this could never lead to a problem later on. Thanks for reading too much into what I said.

I want to apologize to Hydragyrum for nitpicking the way you worded you posts. I don't ever usually do things like that. Can't really say why I did that, must have had a coblyn up my bum at the time lol. Not saying this to get rated back up.
____________________________
#37 Dec 03 2010 at 8:35 PM Rating: Good
*****
11,576 posts
This wasn't an exploit in the sense of players getting rich off of it. The shard cost alone negated a large portion of the profit. I thumped an Antelope Doe in the time it would take someone to synth a bone fish hook recipe and got more in terms of blue antelope hide and meat that I could sell to an NPC than what someone would get from the fish hook recipe by buying the soiled femur and reselling the hooks. The rules the governed (and destroyed) the FFXI economy don't apply here. It was an "exploit" in principle only. If you can buy an item from an NPC, use it in a recipe for SP, and then sell it back to the same NPC for a small profit, it kind of trivializes about a five rank stretch of silling up a crafting profession.

Not kosher, but not exactly game breaking either.
This forum is read only
This Forum is Read Only!
Recent Visitors: 19 All times are in CST
Anonymous Guests (19)