Forum Settings
       
« Previous 1 2
This Forum is Read Only

Your reason why FFXIV is strugglingFollow

#1 Dec 05 2010 at 7:16 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
*
200 posts
I personally love the game. It is tedious, in a very young stage, and I'm sure the content is on the way. In the meantime, I'll max out my character in anticipation for the content, because once it IS here I don't want to miss it by leveling. With that being said, one of the main reasons why the server population is relatively low is, in my opinion, nobody outside of the hardcore knows that the game is even out. I can't tell you how many WoW Cataclysm commercials I have seen on various channels to try to get new players or recapture the old by letting them know it is coming out, whereas I have not seen ONE Final Fantasy 14 commercial. If this game is to cater to the hardcore, it's fine, but it most certainly will not pay the bills for SE.
#2 Dec 05 2010 at 7:21 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
1,536 posts
Good I say...that means there is a potential customer base out there that has no idea of FFXIV's existence and whose image of FFXIV hasn't been tarnished because of a shaky start. In reality though, I don't even remember ever seeing a Final Fantasy commercial for ANY of the games in the franchise but if SE wants to sell, I hope they devise some ad campaign...that is a HUGE reason why WoW is so successful.
____________________________
MUTED
#3 Dec 05 2010 at 7:25 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
*
200 posts
I remember commercials for FF13, but aside from that my memory doesn't serve me that SE has ever really used massive marketing campaigns for any of their games. They certainly need to on a subscription based game, especially if their only coverage to date is video game magazines and websites who feature the game so far that haven't really had too many shining reviews.
#4 Dec 05 2010 at 7:26 PM Rating: Good
49 posts
Top of my head I got few reasons:

1) Awful reviews: Many people are still looking at the launch reviews which were awful. Also they remember those awful reviews when they hear about FFXIV.

2) System specifications: The game just simply needs a nice rig to run properly. This is a major thing for some people who'd otherwise give the game a try.

3) B2P, no trial: Because of the above mentioned players don't want to spend money on something that might "suck" or not even run on their systems.

Edited, Dec 6th 2010 3:27am by GoldenArrow
#5 Dec 05 2010 at 7:29 PM Rating: Decent
21 posts
No content.

And I can just see the commercial for ffxiv;
"Do you like Marmots? We sure do! So come on down to FFXIV and kill yourself a marmot family and turn them in to shoes!!!"
#6 Dec 05 2010 at 7:31 PM Rating: Decent
**
845 posts
Word of mouth. How many people who purchased the game would actually recommend it to a friend? Seeing as how it seems over half the games population has quit even before the trial period is over I would venture a guess not many people would recommend it. I still play it occasionally but no way in **** I could tell a friend to go spend money on it.
____________________________

#7 Dec 05 2010 at 7:33 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
**
691 posts
cronika wrote:
No content.

And I can just see the commercial for ffxiv;
"Do you like Marmots? We sure do! So come on down to FFXIV and kill yourself a marmot family and turn them in to shoes!!!"


That might be false advertising, because as far as I know there is no shoe recipe involving marmot pelts.
#8 Dec 05 2010 at 7:39 PM Rating: Decent
I almost didnt play because i had to downgrade my gpu to play
i think this is a big reason some people like me have/had the same cards.

i had X1950crossfire x2 they costed $799 each just a few short years ago and play every current game at max settings with 0 problems.. but i had to scrap them for an inferior hd 4870 because catalyst drivers for the X series stopped at 10.2 and you need 10.6+ for ffxiv
____________________________

Osarion = Red Mage
Mikhalia = Black Mage Evilwizardington
FinalFanXIV = Fighter McWarrior
All we are missing is Thief, Clan Khee'Bler and we will have the full Light Warriors party.
#9 Dec 05 2010 at 7:59 PM Rating: Good
**
305 posts
SolidMack wrote:
Good I say...that means there is a potential customer base out there that has no idea of FFXIV's existence and whose image of FFXIV hasn't been tarnished because of a shaky start. In reality though, I don't even remember ever seeing a Final Fantasy commercial for ANY of the games in the franchise but if SE wants to sell, I hope they devise some ad campaign...that is a HUGE reason why WoW is so successful.


Yes, clearly it's all advertising and not that it's actually a pretty good game.


For ffxiv... well alot of things. Bad reviews and bad word of mouth are probably the top ones for new players not picking it up. As for the population attrition... well thats on each person. Bottom line though, the people quitting don't think it is a good game, or at least a game worth paying for currently.

No amount of advertising is going to undo that.
____________________________


#10 Dec 05 2010 at 8:18 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
*
199 posts
I agree with the word of mouth. I have a couple PS3 friends that don't play games on PC but we were looking forward to playing together when the PS3 version comes out. I've had to tell them that after playing it for 2 months I really cannot recommend the game to them the way it is now. But I will let them know if it gets better by PS3 release. The main reason they were gonna get the game is so we could play an mmo together. But we may just try DC Univers unless this game improves drastically.
____________________________
PS3 - Lil_Mermaid_Girl
#11 Dec 05 2010 at 8:42 PM Rating: Good
***
1,636 posts
I agree that lack of advertising hurt initial sales, and word of mouth may be keeping people from trying it out.

Personally, I just don't think the game is very good, and likely its just not appealing to a lot of people. I think that the mix of features, graphics, setting, everything happens to be the perfect storm of awesome to some people, but I think for the majority of people who tried the game, or researched it are finding some problem with it that kept them from trying it out. There is a lot of competition out there, and the non-wow MMO market is actually a very small one.
____________________________


#12 Dec 05 2010 at 9:03 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
*
67 posts
My reason is simple. As long as WoW exists, people will unrealistically expect every new MMO to be as good as one which has been out for years and has had several expansions. It doesn't excuse SE for their lacking FFXIV launch, but it's the truth. WoW has resulted in people expecting quality immediately. A 'now now now' mentality. Also, in relation, people are generally sheep, too easily swayed by the opinions of other and eager to judge something without even trying it. I'm positive a lot of bad mouthing of FFXIV comes from people who never touched the game and only heard about its flaws from their friends that play it.

How sad :S

Edited, Dec 5th 2010 10:05pm by Chnmmr
#13 Dec 05 2010 at 9:10 PM Rating: Default
Scholar
*
200 posts
I played 11 for years and some of the grind was just as tedious, especially getting a group and waiting for said person to arrive at the party only to leave 45 minutes later. As far as the comp specs go, I can def see that being an issue. I bought a $1500 gaming comp just to play this friggin game because I was so looking forward to it since 11. I, for one, will def bear it out. I was playing WoW for the past year and a half, and as nice as Cataclysm looks and all the faults that FFXIV has currently, it still has that feel and potential that I was looking forward to. I have the PS3 version on preorder though, so we will see which version I play more. Hopefully by then every NPC that I talk to will actually have something for me to do rather than quickly scroll through the dialogue. As much of a pain in the @$$ fame was in 11, it gave you something to look forward to once you actually achieved it.
#14 Dec 05 2010 at 9:11 PM Rating: Default
Scholar
***
1,536 posts
KacesofCaitsith wrote:
SolidMack wrote:
Good I say...that means there is a potential customer base out there that has no idea of FFXIV's existence and whose image of FFXIV hasn't been tarnished because of a shaky start. In reality though, I don't even remember ever seeing a Final Fantasy commercial for ANY of the games in the franchise but if SE wants to sell, I hope they devise some ad campaign...that is a HUGE reason why WoW is so successful.


Yes, clearly it's all advertising and not that it's actually a pretty good game.


For ffxiv... well alot of things. Bad reviews and bad word of mouth are probably the top ones for new players not picking it up. As for the population attrition... well thats on each person. Bottom line though, the people quitting don't think it is a good game, or at least a game worth paying for currently.

No amount of advertising is going to undo that.


WTF are you talking about? I never said that WoW was a bad game, I agree its a good game but you're a moron if you think these companies spend millions of dollars on advertising if return isn't big. WoW's success is in large part because of advertising, and second because its a good game (that's the part people stick around for). I mean I play a lot of games, and plenty of MMOs and there are days where I'd still run into an MMO I've never heard of before simply because it hasn't been given any spotlight.
____________________________
MUTED
#15 Dec 05 2010 at 9:17 PM Rating: Excellent
Sage
*
121 posts
The game is struggling because it sucks.
#16 Dec 05 2010 at 9:29 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
*
196 posts
Meicyn wrote:
The game is struggling because it sucks.


Finally a non sugar-coated statement! Brilliant!
____________________________
WoW: we want to give players a more fun time with less grinding and generic quests
GW2: we want the player to feel like they are leveling while doing something fun
Final Fantasy XIV: we want less fun and more grinding
#17 Dec 05 2010 at 9:31 PM Rating: Good
**
845 posts
Chnmmr wrote:
My reason is simple. As long as WoW exists, people will unrealistically expect every new MMO to be as good as one which has been out for years and has had several expansions. It doesn't excuse SE for their lacking FFXIV launch, but it's the truth. WoW has resulted in people expecting quality immediately. A 'now now now' mentality. Also, in relation, people are generally sheep, too easily swayed by the opinions of other and eager to judge something without even trying it. I'm positive a lot of bad mouthing of FFXIV comes from people who never touched the game and only heard about its flaws from their friends that play it.

How sad :S

Edited, Dec 5th 2010 10:05pm by Chnmmr


I hate to tell you this but WoW was blizzards FIRST MMO their next MMO will be the real competition killer. Blizzard isnt SE they will use all of their MMO knowledge and release an MMO that will most likely sell 3-10 million copies in the FIRST month. Blizzard MMOs are here to stay, might as well get used to it.
____________________________

#18 Dec 05 2010 at 9:32 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
**
260 posts
There are only so many people who are gamers on PC's. If you want to plan an MMO, chances are pretty good you play WoW. I suspect that SE stole few people away from WoW compared to what they stole away from their own MMO (XI)

I fully expect the first expansion to come bundled with the PS3 release. I think to SE the PC players are a bonus and they are expecting to hit it big with the PS3 release.

While I expect a small drop in population when the first billing cycle comes due I would imagine there will be a modest increase as well around christmas time. SE should be shooting hard for a real stable playable game by then so they can at least hope to salvage THOSE players

-Teeg
____________________________
Why do gnats drop rat tails and lemurs drop gnat wings?
#19 Dec 05 2010 at 9:41 PM Rating: Decent
*
245 posts
No AH + Games to easy.
____________________________
Eskeran Remora 75 monk 75 BLM *retired*

Galka Remora 67 Warrior atm.
#20 Dec 05 2010 at 9:44 PM Rating: Default
Scholar
*
67 posts
UncleRuckusForLife wrote:
Chnmmr wrote:
My reason is simple. As long as WoW exists, people will unrealistically expect every new MMO to be as good as one which has been out for years and has had several expansions. It doesn't excuse SE for their lacking FFXIV launch, but it's the truth. WoW has resulted in people expecting quality immediately. A 'now now now' mentality. Also, in relation, people are generally sheep, too easily swayed by the opinions of other and eager to judge something without even trying it. I'm positive a lot of bad mouthing of FFXIV comes from people who never touched the game and only heard about its flaws from their friends that play it.

How sad :S

Edited, Dec 5th 2010 10:05pm by Chnmmr


I hate to tell you this but WoW was blizzards FIRST MMO their next MMO will be the real competition killer. Blizzard isnt SE they will use all of their MMO knowledge and release an MMO that will most likely sell 3-10 million copies in the FIRST month. Blizzard MMOs are here to stay, might as well get used to it.



Mmmhm and how many MMOs were out there when WoW was released?

Regardless, I loathe WoW because of what it has done to the MMO market. Dare to experiment or do something non-standard and it will suffer because 'WoW is always better with its years of fine tuning and expansions.'

Edited, Dec 5th 2010 10:47pm by Chnmmr
#21 Dec 05 2010 at 9:46 PM Rating: Decent
**
845 posts
Chnmmr wrote:
UncleRuckusForLife wrote:
Chnmmr wrote:
My reason is simple. As long as WoW exists, people will unrealistically expect every new MMO to be as good as one which has been out for years and has had several expansions. It doesn't excuse SE for their lacking FFXIV launch, but it's the truth. WoW has resulted in people expecting quality immediately. A 'now now now' mentality. Also, in relation, people are generally sheep, too easily swayed by the opinions of other and eager to judge something without even trying it. I'm positive a lot of bad mouthing of FFXIV comes from people who never touched the game and only heard about its flaws from their friends that play it.

How sad :S

Edited, Dec 5th 2010 10:05pm by Chnmmr


I hate to tell you this but WoW was blizzards FIRST MMO their next MMO will be the real competition killer. Blizzard isnt SE they will use all of their MMO knowledge and release an MMO that will most likely sell 3-10 million copies in the FIRST month. Blizzard MMOs are here to stay, might as well get used to it.



Mmmhm and how many MMOs were out there when WoW was released?


I dont know. 5-10ish?
____________________________

#22 Dec 05 2010 at 9:48 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
*
67 posts
UncleRuckusForLife wrote:
Chnmmr wrote:
UncleRuckusForLife wrote:
Chnmmr wrote:
My reason is simple. As long as WoW exists, people will unrealistically expect every new MMO to be as good as one which has been out for years and has had several expansions. It doesn't excuse SE for their lacking FFXIV launch, but it's the truth. WoW has resulted in people expecting quality immediately. A 'now now now' mentality. Also, in relation, people are generally sheep, too easily swayed by the opinions of other and eager to judge something without even trying it. I'm positive a lot of bad mouthing of FFXIV comes from people who never touched the game and only heard about its flaws from their friends that play it.

How sad :S

Edited, Dec 5th 2010 10:05pm by Chnmmr


I hate to tell you this but WoW was blizzards FIRST MMO their next MMO will be the real competition killer. Blizzard isnt SE they will use all of their MMO knowledge and release an MMO that will most likely sell 3-10 million copies in the FIRST month. Blizzard MMOs are here to stay, might as well get used to it.



Mmmhm and how many MMOs were out there when WoW was released?


I dont know. 5-10ish?


Well I don't know, but far less than there is now. WoW got a foothold when there was little competition. With it's very firm foothold, anything new has to compete with what many many people consider to be the master MMO.
#23 Dec 05 2010 at 9:59 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
1,536 posts
UncleRuckusForLife wrote:
3-10 million


Lol, that's a little broad for someone who sounds knowledgeable :P. I agree though, Blizzard's next MMO is going to be a beast, and I HATED WoW.

Edited, Dec 5th 2010 10:59pm by SolidMack
____________________________
MUTED
#24 Dec 05 2010 at 10:00 PM Rating: Decent
**
845 posts
Chnmmr wrote:
UncleRuckusForLife wrote:
Chnmmr wrote:
UncleRuckusForLife wrote:
Chnmmr wrote:
My reason is simple. As long as WoW exists, people will unrealistically expect every new MMO to be as good as one which has been out for years and has had several expansions. It doesn't excuse SE for their lacking FFXIV launch, but it's the truth. WoW has resulted in people expecting quality immediately. A 'now now now' mentality. Also, in relation, people are generally sheep, too easily swayed by the opinions of other and eager to judge something without even trying it. I'm positive a lot of bad mouthing of FFXIV comes from people who never touched the game and only heard about its flaws from their friends that play it.

How sad :S

Edited, Dec 5th 2010 10:05pm by Chnmmr


I hate to tell you this but WoW was blizzards FIRST MMO their next MMO will be the real competition killer. Blizzard isnt SE they will use all of their MMO knowledge and release an MMO that will most likely sell 3-10 million copies in the FIRST month. Blizzard MMOs are here to stay, might as well get used to it.



Mmmhm and how many MMOs were out there when WoW was released?


I dont know. 5-10ish?


Well I don't know, but far less than there is now. WoW got a foothold when there was little competition. With it's very firm foothold, anything new has to compete with what many many people consider to be the master MMO.


I do agree with what you are basicly saying. "As long as WoW exists" was the only part I disagreed wholeheartedly with I think WOW is just the begining. Blizzard will be owning the MMO market long after wow is under 1 million subs.
____________________________

#25 Dec 05 2010 at 10:02 PM Rating: Good
**
845 posts
SolidMack wrote:
UncleRuckusForLife wrote:
3-10 million


Lol, that's a little broad for someone who sounds knowledgeable :P. I agree though, Blizzard's next MMO is going to be a beast, and I HATED WoW.

Edited, Dec 5th 2010 10:59pm by SolidMack


Honestly I think 3 is way low but I didnt want to come off as a super blizzard fanboy and say 9-10 million.
____________________________

#26 Dec 05 2010 at 10:32 PM Rating: Good
**
472 posts
After about 20 hours, the game is really boring, even ignoring any other annoyances of how the game plays:

I showed my friend the game today for the first time, and we used to play FFXI together, back in the day. He was really curious about the game, but after seeing it in person, his questions stopped along with his interest.
#27 Dec 05 2010 at 10:58 PM Rating: Excellent
*
139 posts
FFXIV launched with 600k+ copies sold. At least 600k people were interested in playing FFXIV. We're down to 40k-ish after a couple months. So at least 500k people don't really like the game and the remaining players are hoping for a better future.

So the only reason why FFXIV is struggling is because it's a bad game at launch overall. Or at least most people who played the game find it difficult to like FFXIV. Some people stick around the forums to vent their frustrations while a lot just quit out right. This combine with the ultra low review points, not a lot of people are willing to pay $50 for a game with bad review.

Combine that with the prohibitive recommended PC specs (similar to Crysis at launch). A lot of people are not willing to drop $1000 for a PC at will run FFXIV smoothly when the PS3 is only around $300.
#28 Dec 05 2010 at 11:45 PM Rating: Excellent
***
3,530 posts
Buttsniffa wrote:
If this game is to cater to the hardcore, it's fine,


The problem is, though, that SE thinks they're catering to the casual player, and has said so many times. They successfully miss both bases, and please a very small part the population in the process.

Although SE has always seemed deficient in the advertising department, I'm not sure it would be a good idea to advertise a somewhat broken/empty game... if they fix the issues and add lots of content by PS3 release, that would be a great time to advertise.

It's not just about getting someone to try FFXIV, it's about enticing them to stay, and FFXIV simply does not have that potential yet (heck, almost all of those who are staying are doing so only because they hope it'll get better -- you say yourself that it is "tedious," after all, who would want to advertise for that?).

This brings up an interesting point about the dichotomy of SE: they want to cater to casual players, but all they offer is "tedious" grind, which chases all but the hardcore away after release; they want to appeal to a wide audience, but only those with patience/faith/loyalty to SE stick around through their months of updates; lastly, they want to advertise, but they can't because their game isn't in a fit state to brag about!

What to do, what to do? >_<
____________________________
"... he called to himself a wizard, named Gallery, hoping by this means to escape the paying of the fifteen hundred crowns..." (Machen 15)

"Thus opium is pleasing... on account of the agreeable delirium it produces." (Burke para.6)

"I could only read so much for this paper and the syphilis poem had to go."
#29 Dec 05 2010 at 11:53 PM Rating: Good
6 posts
Here is my most personal desire when playing any MMO..... I want to be the best!

I want to hit the hardest. I want to run the fastest. I want to have the best gear, and of course look the best. I want the unique rare drop. I want to stand out. I want to discover things first. I want to be envied.

I understand that this sounds extremely narcissistic but lets be honest, no one starts playing these games and says "I just want to fit it." "I just want to look like everyone else." "I want to do the same thing over and over again."

What FFXIV lacks is incentive. I don't find myself wanting these things from this game. In fact I am building my character up so that 'when' awesome content does arrive I will be ready to take advantage.

So here is the first part of my two part suggestion for FFXIV.

1. Make this game competitive by adding epic/rare/unique content! Let me have a chance to be the best! Let me get the drop and not others. Let me have the flashiest gear. Let me find/be apart of/fight something uniquely amazing! If I know there is a slight chance to get a unique item by grinding marmots for hours, I just might do it!

2. Judge me.....seriously. If my gear sucks don't let me be apart of something. If I can't actually party well then don't give me experience in battle. If I do fight well then let me get a bonus! Publicly judge me and others so that I can rank myself.

If you build it they will come.....
____________________________

#30 Dec 06 2010 at 12:00 AM Rating: Excellent
Scholar
**
322 posts
Because they are trying to cater to casual and hardcore when its clear the franchise is niche and only catered to a small demographic to begin with

Trying to do both, they're not getting either right
____________________________


#31 Dec 06 2010 at 1:19 AM Rating: Excellent
*
89 posts
It appears to me that FF XIV has been created by people without any MMO experience including FF XI and FF XIV experience (i.e. they don't play FF XIV themselves). Apparently only managers from FF XI team have made it over to the FF XIV and the designers have been left behind. It's pretty hard to make a competitive MMO nowadays and almost impossible to do so in the dark.
#32 Dec 06 2010 at 1:22 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
44 posts
Crappy music score and annoying soundfx, nightmarish shopping experience, uninspired classes with uninteresting abilities, bare-bone battle system, wacky SP allocation, horrible targeting system, strenuous and mind-boggling UI overcomplexity, empty breathless game world grounded upon tedious rinse-n-repeat dailies.

The game has good ideas but all semblance of it is burned deep under a mountain of problems which most players don't really feel like climbing. SE realizes this and has fixed a big part of the UI in the Nov patch. Here's to hoping the Dec patch fleshes out the game and makes it "fun".
#33 Dec 06 2010 at 6:05 AM Rating: Excellent
Scholar
**
544 posts
Total lack of content plus eviscerating any reason to party whatsoever equates to disaster aside from the myriad of bugs and horrific shopping scheme.
____________________________
Counting Sheep of Balmung



#34 Dec 06 2010 at 8:02 AM Rating: Good
**
305 posts
SolidMack wrote:

WTF are you talking about? I never said that WoW was a bad game, I agree its a good game but you're a moron if you think these companies spend millions of dollars on advertising if return isn't big. WoW's success is in large part because of advertising, and second because its a good game (that's the part people stick around for). I mean I play a lot of games, and plenty of MMOs and there are days where I'd still run into an MMO I've never heard of before simply because it hasn't been given any spotlight.



And you would be an idiot if you thought that marketing trumps the actual game as the "huge reason" it is successful.

Is marketing effective and worthwhile? Sure. Does it magically make your product successful? No.
____________________________


#35 Dec 06 2010 at 9:01 AM Rating: Good
Sage
*
163 posts
Quote:
I'm positive a lot of bad mouthing of FFXIV comes from people who never touched the game and only heard about its flaws from their friends that play it.


Judging from the forums, I'd say a lot of it is coming directly from the player base.

Quote:
So here is the first part of my two part suggestion for FFXIV.

1. Make this game competitive by adding epic/rare/unique content! Let me have a chance to be the best! Let me get the drop and not others. Let me have the flashiest gear. Let me find/be apart of/fight something uniquely amazing! If I know there is a slight chance to get a unique item by grinding marmots for hours, I just might do it!

2. Judge me.....seriously. If my gear sucks don't let me be apart of something. If I can't actually party well then don't give me experience in battle. If I do fight well then let me get a bonus! Publicly judge me and others so that I can rank myself.


At this point, given the horrid state of the game and it's public image, I don't think anything that excludes casual players could possibly be a good tactic to adopt.
#36 Dec 06 2010 at 9:19 AM Rating: Excellent
***
2,120 posts
Not much to add on the reasons, but I definitely agree that the attempt to cater to everyone ended up turning most players off so far. No game's gonna be built perfectly to suit me, though I do need some balance there. I didn't like a lot of things about XI, but there was enough I did like that allowed me to overlook or put up with the stuff I didn't like for quite a while. For me, XIV is painfully hardcore in some areas while also being easy-mode in areas I don't want it to be. That leaves me with very little to cling to as I wait for all the other issues to be worked on and some quality content to be added.

As I'm wondering if they'll start charging monthly soon and what my decision would be, the reasons I come up with for staying have nothing to do with the actual game as-is. It's more about not wanting to throw away my awesome character & the progress I've made. Missing my new LS friends or missing out if/when SE fulfills some of the potential the game has. At some point(especially if monthly fees are involved), the friends I've made, the nice story/cutscenes & the idea of getting my character ready for when the game becomes good isn't enough. And that's from a FF fanboy perspective. To many others I've probably shown them way too much patience already...

Edited, Dec 6th 2010 10:24am by TwistedOwl
____________________________

#37 Dec 06 2010 at 9:20 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
1,536 posts
KacesofCaitsith wrote:
SolidMack wrote:

WTF are you talking about? I never said that WoW was a bad game, I agree its a good game but you're a moron if you think these companies spend millions of dollars on advertising if return isn't big. WoW's success is in large part because of advertising, and second because its a good game (that's the part people stick around for). I mean I play a lot of games, and plenty of MMOs and there are days where I'd still run into an MMO I've never heard of before simply because it hasn't been given any spotlight.



And you would be an idiot if you thought that marketing trumps the actual game as the "huge reason" it is successful.

Is marketing effective and worthwhile? Sure. Does it magically make your product successful? No.


I'm the idiot and you're blind for sure. I think I explained myself well enough, you're just a stubborn loser who doesn't want to understand and wants to argue for the sake of arguing. I said WoW's success is because its a good game, but that part alone is what keeps people around - the part that brought in 14 million subscribers is "word of mouth" but if you have 10 people playing a game, word of mouth gets you 20, which become 40, which become 80 (dot dot dot..of course its not 100% like this but we can approximate it), advertising isn't something you "might" do when you have time, its a big part of businesses today especially in the corporate world. McDonald's isn't successful because they sell the best burgers, they're successful because their brand recognition is out of this world and no matter where you look you see their logo, maybe a commercial, and the "ta ta ta ta ta taaa, I'm lovin' it"...no one is lovin' FFXIV right now, so back on topic, please marketing major, hold out on the advertising 'til the game is in better shape.
____________________________
MUTED
#38 Dec 06 2010 at 9:23 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
*
58 posts
I personally feel that besides there is nothing to do but rank up crafting and combat, since there is no content outside the very limit story from the main city you start in, that people are not mad about the game, but they are mad at the company itself.

I have come to a realization that majority of the posts trying to explaining why FF14 is a fail is actually saying nothing about FF14, but about SE. SE stocks are falling to an all time low; they need money. Or SE has lost their touch on making games like they did with the FF games before FFX-2 or KH. Now they just rush out graphic OOoo instead of a game with intense stories that make you want to learn about the characters.

I feel SE has lost their ways and are even posting things they say they will have and then change it so they don't have to lie when the actual patch comes out.

So imo, FF14 is just early for its time of development because of the company that is making it. SE needs to not change FF14, but how itself is runs and how they view on what a game is.

Edited, Dec 6th 2010 10:24am by Bertlit
#39 Dec 06 2010 at 9:27 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
*
164 posts
SolidMack wrote:
McDonald's isn't successful because they sell the best burgers, they're successful because their brand recognition is out of this world and no matter where you look you see their logo, maybe a commercial, and the "ta ta ta ta ta taaa, I'm lovin' it"...no one is lovin' FFXIV right now, so back on topic, please marketing major, hold out on the advertising 'til the game is in better shape.


ppl have to realize too, marketing isn't always JUST about pushing a sale, it is also about communication between the company and the player. them going out of their way to keep you in "the know". no one wonders "oh. is the mcrib being sold at mikey d's?" and no one is gonna go on mcdonalds site to find out. mcd's advertising the mcrib bridges that gap for them and shows a sort of appreciation to their customer. i think ff could use some advertising.
____________________________


#40 Dec 06 2010 at 9:55 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
41 posts
The game is struggling simply because it is a bad game. More specifically, its boring.

The only objective in this game is to grind and level.
____________________________

Rift Signature
#41 Dec 06 2010 at 11:08 AM Rating: Good
*
71 posts
It doesn't have the same immersive feeling that 11 did, and I think this is mainly because of the lack of content so far. Also, we don't really know anywhere near enough about Eorzea or the city states or the relationships between them etc. In 11, you knew the structure of the city states, their type of government, their leaders, their legendary warriors, their roles in the crystal war. There feels like is a wall in the story and character development, along with the various other problems. My primary complaint right now is the lack of motivation to party and the difficulty of taking on harder mobs in groups as compared to before.
____________________________
Death by Asuran Fists.
#42 Dec 06 2010 at 11:24 AM Rating: Decent
Avatar
***
1,553 posts
Chnmmr wrote:
UncleRuckusForLife wrote:
Chnmmr wrote:

I hate to tell you this but WoW was blizzards FIRST MMO their next MMO will be the real competition killer. Blizzard isnt SE they will use all of their MMO knowledge and release an MMO that will most likely sell 3-10 million copies in the FIRST month. Blizzard MMOs are here to stay, might as well get used to it.


Mmmhm and how many MMOs were out there when WoW was released?


I dont know. 5-10ish?


Well I don't know, but far less than there is now. WoW got a foothold when there was little competition. With it's very firm foothold, anything new has to compete with what many many people consider to be the master MMO.[/quote]

Ultima Online, Everquest, Dark Ages of Camelot, Asheron's Call, Linneage

I think that's about it.
____________________________
Super Wiki Ferret Emeritus, obsessive/compulsive wiki editor
#43 Dec 06 2010 at 11:29 AM Rating: Excellent
**
845 posts
Bludwyng wrote:
Chnmmr wrote:
UncleRuckusForLife wrote:
Chnmmr wrote:

I hate to tell you this but WoW was blizzards FIRST MMO their next MMO will be the real competition killer. Blizzard isnt SE they will use all of their MMO knowledge and release an MMO that will most likely sell 3-10 million copies in the FIRST month. Blizzard MMOs are here to stay, might as well get used to it.


Mmmhm and how many MMOs were out there when WoW was released?


I dont know. 5-10ish?


Well I don't know, but far less than there is now. WoW got a foothold when there was little competition. With it's very firm foothold, anything new has to compete with what many many people consider to be the master MMO.


Ultima Online, Everquest, Dark Ages of Camelot, Asheron's Call, Linneage

I think that's about it.
[/quote]

You forgot FFXI : P
____________________________

#44 Dec 06 2010 at 11:37 AM Rating: Default
Sage
*
97 posts
Thousands of whinging gits on forums and terrible reviews is why FFXIV is struggling.

I read all the bad reviews / forum posts, and thought ooh maybe best not to play that then, even as a massive fan of FFXI for years.

However they did the extended trial so I jumped in on the last day so I would get the full 60 days to try it, no big loss.

Real glad I did jump in as its a great game, albeit a little loose at the edges, but then all MMO launches are like that.

I walk around a world seeing bits of the maps and locked areas, I know are going to open up later.

To date of all the MMO's I've played FFXI still had the best quest lines. Now that is woefully missing in FFXIV but those short glimpses we get in the Rank quests remind me of what is likely to be down the line.

____________________________
FFXIV : Khaap Keha : THM(Bodhum) In progress and enjoying it so far.
FFXI : Khaap : 75BLM, 75NIN Retired (sadly and it was purely down to graphics)



#45 Dec 06 2010 at 11:51 AM Rating: Excellent
Scholar
***
1,104 posts
Khaap wrote:
Thousands of whinging gits on forums and terrible reviews is why FFXIV is struggling.
And those bad reviews and unsatisfied customers have absolutely NOTHING to do with the game itself, nor the company that released it, right?
____________________________

Melaahna Valiera
#46 Dec 06 2010 at 1:25 PM Rating: Excellent
Scholar
*
194 posts
Quote:
The game is struggling because it sucks.


I laughed out loud at this.....but the more I thought about it, I'm sad to say that I think this is the best answer I've seen so far.

Some people allege that new subscribers are deterred from joining because of bad reviews. The game got bad reviews because it sucks.

Some people argue that word of mouth keeps people away. Public opinion is negative because the game sucks.

Some people say that a lack of marketing deters people from subscribing. Good marketing can fool people into buying the game, but you can't fool them into paying you a monthly fee for right to play a game that sucks.

I also agree that the system specs are way too steep

If the game didn't have the "Final Fantasy" pedigree behind it, and if it wasn't being published by SE, I would have dismissed it a while ago and moved on. But (unfortunately) I like SE as a developer, I loved FFXI, and I generally enjoy the IP. I think the game has great potential, so I'm hanging on for what the future might hold for this game.

But absent my attachment to the IP or the developer, this game would be in the landfill with my copy of E.T. on Atari.
#47 Dec 06 2010 at 1:35 PM Rating: Decent
Sage
*
97 posts
Timorith wrote:
Khaap wrote:
Thousands of whinging gits on forums and terrible reviews is why FFXIV is struggling.
And those bad reviews and unsatisfied customers have absolutely NOTHING to do with the game itself, nor the company that released it, right?


Its an inherent problem with every single MMO launch in recent years. They all get slated by people far too impatient to let any title mature properly.

Writing a review or opinion within the first 6 months of a launch is absolutely pointless.

As a classic example if WOW released now just as it did back then with all those issues it would fail just as hard as all the other MMO's. Sadly people are too impatient and have absolutely no understanding of the kind of the complexity involved in coding and supporting an MMO.

Oddly SE has been the first company in recent years to actually put its hand up and say "Hey we got it wrong"

Now by the time of the PS3 launch I think then a review would be valid. By then SE will have had ample time to sort things out. If by then they havent, then fair enough we can all quit with the knowledge they can't do it, and then move on to destroy the next big release.

Given the double extension on the free to play period I just don't understand people complaining.
I have a feeling with some players that even if they were paid to play the game they would still whine.
____________________________
FFXIV : Khaap Keha : THM(Bodhum) In progress and enjoying it so far.
FFXI : Khaap : 75BLM, 75NIN Retired (sadly and it was purely down to graphics)



#48 Dec 06 2010 at 1:51 PM Rating: Good
Sage
***
1,675 posts
thejones wrote:
[quote]
If the game didn't have the "Final Fantasy" pedigree behind it, and if it wasn't being published by SE, I would have dismissed it a while ago and moved on. But (unfortunately) I like SE as a developer, I loved FFXI, and I generally enjoy the IP. I think the game has great potential, so I'm hanging on for what the future might hold for this game.



I couldn't agree more. SE has, too, suckered me into sticking around.

As other's have said it's pretty obvious why FFXIV is struggling but I think they are working their way out of it slowly but surely.
#49 Dec 06 2010 at 1:56 PM Rating: Excellent
Scholar
Avatar
32 posts
Final Fantasy XIV makes little or no effort to attract anyone other than hardcore players. If you want a succesful MMO, you need casuals to help make up the numbers. This game feels like it is deliberately hard to get in to and welcome you. They've made small steps but FFXIV still feels completely unintuitive. Most of us are that are still playing regularly are having to soldier on rather than actually enjoy it.


#50 Dec 06 2010 at 2:04 PM Rating: Excellent
*
82 posts
Quote:
Given the double extension on the free to play period I just don't understand people complaining.
I have a feeling with some players that even if they were paid to play the game they would still whine.

The reason for this is that many people, myself included when I played briefly after the patch, feel like they are playing a F2P quality game. Yeah, it's shiny, polished, and purdy, but a game can't stand only on it's graphics. The story is slow, and after the tutorials almost non-existent. The combat system is buggy, and honestly, I'd rather have an enemy level number over their health instead of an obscure icon that doesn't tell me if it's going to one-shot me or just hit slightly harder than a marmot.

The game really does cater to players that were there for FFXI, and honestly, I think with a few tweaks, it could really improve. SE is taking the wrong direction however. They've said "We don't want to compete with the new Star Wars MMO coming out or with WoW" and that's what's going to end up hindering them in the long run.
____________________________
Currently seeking active Melmond LS, even if it's just for conversation during game play.



Mikhalia the Picky wrote:

Rate sideways. It's the solution to everything.
#51 Dec 06 2010 at 2:10 PM Rating: Good
**
845 posts
Faladis wrote:
Quote:
Given the double extension on the free to play period I just don't understand people complaining.
I have a feeling with some players that even if they were paid to play the game they would still whine.

The reason for this is that many people, myself included when I played briefly after the patch, feel like they are playing a F2P quality game. Yeah, it's shiny, polished, and purdy, but a game can't stand only on it's graphics. The story is slow, and after the tutorials almost non-existent. The combat system is buggy, and honestly, I'd rather have an enemy level number over their health instead of an obscure icon that doesn't tell me if it's going to one-shot me or just hit slightly harder than a marmot.

The game really does cater to players that were there for FFXI, and honestly, I think with a few tweaks, it could really improve. SE is taking the wrong direction however. They've said "We don't want to compete with the new Star Wars MMO coming out or with WoW" and that's what's going to end up hindering them in the long run.


Sounds to me like they knew the quality of thier product and said this because they knew they cant compete.

Edited, Dec 6th 2010 3:10pm by UncleRuckusForLife
____________________________

« Previous 1 2
This forum is read only
This Forum is Read Only!
Recent Visitors: 25 All times are in CST
Anonymous Guests (25)