Forum Settings
       
This Forum is Read Only

All Worlds Emergency Maintenance (Dec. 6)Follow

#1 Dec 06 2010 at 7:06 AM Rating: Good
Avatar
**
315 posts
Quote:

During the times listed below, we will be performing emergency maintenance on FINAL FANTASY XIV. During this period, FINAL FANTASY XIV will be unavailable.

We apologise for any inconvenience this may cause and thank you for your understanding.

[Date & Time]
Dec. 6, 2010 from 21:00 to 23:00 (GMT)
* The completion time may be subject to change.

[Affected Service]
- FINAL FANTASY XIV


from the lodestone:
http://lodestone.finalfantasyxiv.com/pl/news/detail?newsId=bb82159d66a84fc7b446b92f2c23329fe3d842a4
____________________________
FFXI 2003-2007: Elaron ~Phoenix
FFXIV 2010-> : Gus Morgan ~Wutai

#2 Dec 06 2010 at 7:10 AM Rating: Good
49 posts
Wipe!?
Rollback!?
F2P!?

NOOOO 8)
#3 Dec 06 2010 at 7:43 AM Rating: Excellent
***
3,416 posts
The return of the fish hooks.
____________________________
SE:
Quote:
We really want to compete against World of Warcraft and for example the new Star Wars MMO.

#4 Dec 06 2010 at 7:44 AM Rating: Good
Avatar
**
315 posts
All updates are good updates.

2 hours is a small price to pay for improvement.
____________________________
FFXI 2003-2007: Elaron ~Phoenix
FFXIV 2010-> : Gus Morgan ~Wutai

#5 Dec 06 2010 at 9:09 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
**
812 posts
Probably some minor fix, or maybe database changes for the mid-DEC patch.
____________________________
Abaddon Active Player Roster
- All your Fabul Sever are belong to us! -


#6 Dec 06 2010 at 9:17 AM Rating: Default
Scholar
*
58 posts
Maybe they will fix that you cannot repeat ANY of the leves except the faction ones.

I know you are suppose because on http://lodestone.finalfantasyxiv.com/pl/guide/guildleve01.html there is a line that says "Failed levequests may be reattempted immediately upon renewal of the guildleve list".
#7 Dec 06 2010 at 10:03 AM Rating: Good
**
398 posts
Bertlit wrote:
Maybe they will fix that you cannot repeat ANY of the leves except the faction ones.

I know you are suppose because on http://lodestone.finalfantasyxiv.com/pl/guide/guildleve01.html there is a line that says "Failed levequests may be reattempted immediately upon renewal of the guildleve list".


What are you talking about

Just go back to the aetherite and it lets you repeat it after reset.
#8 Dec 06 2010 at 10:21 AM Rating: Excellent
"It has come to our attention that Kubla Khan's retainer has been successfully logged in for more than sixteen consecutive hours. We are working to address this issue as quickly as possible, and ask that players refrain from informing Kubla Khan about this update so that we may provoke the maximum desired effect."
____________________________
~Kublakhan~
Taru career Beastmaster, Bismarck server

Facekey, local gilseller wrote:
THANK KUBLAHA HP++



#9 Dec 06 2010 at 10:53 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
*
58 posts
Meowshi wrote:
Bertlit wrote:
Maybe they will fix that you cannot repeat ANY of the leves except the faction ones.

I know you are suppose because on http://lodestone.finalfantasyxiv.com/pl/guide/guildleve01.html there is a line that says "Failed levequests may be reattempted immediately upon renewal of the guildleve list".


What are you talking about

Just go back to the aetherite and it lets you repeat it after reset.


Here is what happen. On Dec 3rd, I activated 3 leves at camp Horizon. The last one was A Thousand Needles that gave me Conj guildmarks. It was the only one I got at the time from LL and Ul'dah combine to give me any guildmarks. So At 3am on Dec 3rd, I activated it and the crashes after running north for less than 10secs. I get back on and yup, it is failed.

So I checked on the forums about repeating it since I was unsure. Someone said something on one forum about the leves per camp change every 2 hours. So check after 2hours. 5am roles around and I check the aetheryte and "You do not have any guildleves for Camp Horizon". Fair enough, did not think this was going to work, but worth a try.

So I continue looking and on a forum for another site, someone says you have to wait till after ALL the leves have reset. Ok, well time for bed. Dec 4th 6am comes and goes. I get up and log on at 11am. I return, since Horizon was my current return point, with all new excitement. I click the ! and the aetheryte menu pops up and click on Initiate Guildleves. You do not have any guildleves for Camp Horizon" pops up. Ok now I am getting a bit confuse. But hey maybe I have to go back to the adventure guild.

So I run there since I it was not far from Horizon and I get to the adventure guild. Hey 3 leves. The exact same ones I had from the last reset except one. What do you know, the one I happen to fail is not there. So I start asking and people are saying I have to wait till reset. I ask if that is true since I got it before this morning reset. Someone replies, "You cannot repeat guildleves". Other says you can only repeat Faction leves.

So that is when I went looking all over lodestone and found that line on the guildleve information page. So if I did something wrong, please tell me what. I still think SE lied about that and you cannot repeat any leves except the factions.

Edited, Dec 6th 2010 11:54am by Bertlit

Edited, Dec 6th 2010 11:55am by Bertlit
#10 Dec 06 2010 at 3:07 PM Rating: Default
Scholar
**
421 posts
/sigh

I log in just in time to see "We are now starting the emergency maintenance.". And I was so looking forward to getting rank 41 tonight, instead no rank 41 and I have to run like **** after maintenance to turn in completed leves and grab new ones from last night's reset so I can complete them tomorrow night before getting more leves from tomorrow's reset. Yup, this game is very casual player friendly... I hope they move the maintenance back to their original schedule when I'm at work.
____________________________
FFXIV: Dennis Galen - FSH 50 | CRP 38 | LEA 27 | WEA 25 | CON 9 - Selbina server
FFXIV: Dennis Ramuh - CON 7 | ALC 7 - Selbina server
FFXI: Dennis - Hume Rank 10 Bastok - Ramuh server - LS: PandemoniumKnights
60 Summoner
75 Black Mage | 75 White Mage
75 Red Mage | AlchaFisherMage
Alchemy 93,1 +2 | Fish 100 | Gold 32
Wood 22 | Cooking 15 | Smith 14 | Leather 9
#11 Dec 06 2010 at 3:10 PM Rating: Decent
**
821 posts
I'm curious what they are gonna "fix", even if its only Fish Hooks xD
But it could be anything, so thats why I'm curious xD
#12 Dec 06 2010 at 3:14 PM Rating: Good
*
106 posts
Not sure, maybe working out the crashes happening in Gridania.
____________________________


#13 Dec 06 2010 at 3:14 PM Rating: Decent
*
214 posts
Emergency Chocobo Update!!!!!!!!!
____________________________

#14 Dec 06 2010 at 3:18 PM Rating: Good
****
9,526 posts
ThinkDeeply wrote:
Not sure, maybe working out the crashes happening in Gridania.


yeah I got booted in grid today
____________________________
lolgaxe wrote:
When it comes to sitting around not doing anything for long periods of time, only being active for short windows, and marginal changes and sidegrades I'd say FFXI players were the perfect choice for politicians.


#15 Dec 06 2010 at 3:19 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
1,098 posts
BAM! this game is like water when you can't get it you want it more.I hope they're giving me more pugilist guid marks I've been around 5985 for over a week.
____________________________





#16 Dec 06 2010 at 3:22 PM Rating: Excellent
**
800 posts
DJvGalen wrote:
/sigh

I log in just in time to see "We are now starting the emergency maintenance.". And I was so looking forward to getting rank 41 tonight, instead no rank 41 and I have to run like **** after maintenance to turn in completed leves and grab new ones from last night's reset so I can complete them tomorrow night before getting more leves from tomorrow's reset. Yup, this game is very casual player friendly... I hope they move the maintenance back to their original schedule when I'm at work.


Casual friendly does not mean "Get to level cap in two months". The fact that you're rank 41 and have the mentality that you need to utilize every leve before each reset proves that you are not a casual player. Don't go knocking the game because YOU have the desire to hit level cap ASAP. That is not how casual players play.
#17 Dec 06 2010 at 3:30 PM Rating: Excellent
49 posts
I agree. People seem to mix up "Casual" and "Easy Mode" together.
FFXIV is by far the most casual friendly P2P out there.

Casual = Low daily hours, big achievements.

Edited, Dec 6th 2010 11:30pm by GoldenArrow
#18 Dec 06 2010 at 3:30 PM Rating: Default
12 posts
Maybe its an emergency patch to fix the game before Cataclysm comes out in a few hours !


And I have no idea how anyone could say FFXIV is casual or friendly.

If you wanna do anything in this game it takes forever.

"I want xxx piece of gear" Well I need to go grind 6 jobs for several hundred hours , then I need to make 5 different materials all requiring different crafts and figure out the recipe (or look it up online) and then tada all that to make 1 single item.

I have fun with and enjoy the game, that said this game is DEFINITELY NOT a friendly casual game, this game pure and simple is 100% grindfest. Anything you do in this game is pure grindfest, whether you want to level a DOL/DOH/DOW/DOM its pure grinding.

Not to mention the UI and figuring out ANYTHING in this game was incredibly difficult for most players taking weeks/months to understand some and still not everything in this game.

This game quite frankly is hardcore when you look @ the time commitment it takes to do anything.

Edited, Dec 6th 2010 4:36pm by Kalaildar
#19 Dec 06 2010 at 3:35 PM Rating: Good
**
711 posts
I guess I will look at it as a good way to save up some anima :P
____________________________
春天不是讀書天,
夏日炎炎正好眠,
等到秋來冬又至,
收拾書包好過年。

#20 Dec 06 2010 at 3:37 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
764 posts
During the times listed below, we will be performing a version update on FINAL FANTASY XIV.

* The FINAL FANTASY XIV client software will be updated automatically the first time you start it after the update.

[Date & Time]
Dec. 6, 2010 from 13:00 to 15:00 (PST)

[Affected Service]
FINAL FANTASY XIV

[Important Update Details]
- The issue where synthesis produces an incorrect amount of the following items will be addressed.
Brass Francisca Head, Silver Francisca Head
* The fix will change the number of items from 12 to 3.

- The issue where it occasionally becomes impossible to move the cursor or select items when trading items with a retainer will be addressed.
____________________________


#21 Dec 06 2010 at 3:37 PM Rating: Decent
*
141 posts
Kalaildar wrote:
Maybe its an emergency patch to fix the game before Cataclysm comes out in a few hours !

***** Cataclysm ;)

Anyway, update is Up in Updater, the size is around 7 MB.
#22 Dec 06 2010 at 3:41 PM Rating: Decent
**
829 posts
So this starts in 20 minutes right?

ShockTopMagic wrote:
Emergency Chocobo Update!!!!!!!!!

Nah, it's obviously the emergency AH update.
____________________________
Tauu Aori
Lalafell
WHM
Sargatanas
#23 Dec 06 2010 at 3:44 PM Rating: Excellent
49 posts
Kalaildar wrote:
Maybe its an emergency patch to fix the game before Cataclysm comes out in a few hours !


And I have no idea how anyone could say FFXIV is casual or friendly.

If you wanna do anything in this game it takes forever.

"I want xxx piece of gear" Well I need to go grind 6 jobs for several hundred hours , then I need to make 5 different materials all requiring different crafts and figure out the recipe (or look it up online) and then tada all that to make 1 single item.

I have fun with and enjoy the game, that said this game is DEFINITELY NOT a friendly casual game, this game pure and simple is 100% grindfest. Anything you do in this game is pure grindfest, whether you want to level a DOL/DOH/DOW/DOM its pure grinding.

Not to mention the UI and figuring out ANYTHING in this game was incredibly difficult for most players taking weeks/months to understand some and still not everything in this game.

This game quite frankly is hardcore when you look @ the time commitment it takes to do anything.

Edited, Dec 6th 2010 4:36pm by Kalaildar


Pop in.
Do battle/craft leaves.
Pop out.

You get huge advantage for just a little time spent as in ranks and gil.
When you do have time to play (ie weekends) you can focus on other things.
Basically levels can be achieved very casually but the game does offer room for "grindfest" and "hardcore" aswell.

If that's not casual then what is?
#24 Dec 06 2010 at 3:45 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
513 posts
Pulseczar wrote:
During the times listed below, we will be performing a version update on FINAL FANTASY XIV.

* The FINAL FANTASY XIV client software will be updated automatically the first time you start it after the update.

[Date & Time]
Dec. 6, 2010 from 13:00 to 15:00 (PST)

[Affected Service]
FINAL FANTASY XIV

[Important Update Details]
- The issue where synthesis produces an incorrect amount of the following items will be addressed.
Brass Francisca Head, Silver Francisca Head
* The fix will change the number of items from 12 to 3.

- The issue where it occasionally becomes impossible to move the cursor or select items when trading items with a retainer will be addressed.


I guess it took this long to find this bug because nobody ever makes franciscas.
____________________________
#25 Dec 06 2010 at 3:47 PM Rating: Excellent
*****
16,959 posts
GoldenArrow wrote:
Pop in.
Do battle/craft leaves.
Pop out.

You get huge advantage for just a little time spent as in ranks and gil.
When you do have time to play (ie weekends) you can focus on other things.
Basically levels can be achieved very casually but the game does offer room for "grindfest" and "hardcore" aswell.

If that's not casual then what is?
Pretty much.

That's what I do on my second character (mostly for trolling purposes), which is actually getting a lot of stuff done with little time spent.

Edited, Dec 6th 2010 2:48pm by Kirby
____________________________
MyAnimeList FFXIV Krystal Spoonless
#26 Dec 06 2010 at 3:49 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
421 posts
Hydragyrum wrote:
Casual friendly does not mean "Get to level cap in two months". The fact that you're rank 41 and have the mentality that you need to utilize every leve before each reset proves that you are not a casual player. Don't go knocking the game because YOU have the desire to hit level cap ASAP. That is not how casual players play.

You got me wrong then, I have no desire to reach level cap ASAP.

I skip alot of fish leves because it's faster to just stay fishing then to run/teleport to all 3 cities grabbing leves then run from hole to hole catching fishies. I'm at 11k from 41 fisher and that is about 2 hours of fishing, that's without leves. You'd know that because once you finish fish leves they are done, no need to turn them in. I do want to get to 42 fisher ASAP but that is because I can finally use my Yew fishing rod and also other gathering gear is available at rank 42

I have like 6 Gridania leves spread all over the Black Shroud which I have to turn in so I can get new Carpenter leves and try to get my Carpenter to rank 23 so I can attempt to repair my own fish rod. And since leves give better xp then any amount of chestnut logs you chop up into lumber/planks, I rather benefit from them. I left 4 local leves unused last night because I was tired of all the running around, I just wanted to go back to fishing.

**** if I tried to do all the fish leves alone then I'd never have enough time to do 8 leves ranging from 10 minutes to 30 minutes each, depending on how the quest fishies bite, in a 3 hour gaming session before it's time to sleep and then back to work the next day and come home to find 8 new fish leves.

Besides, people are starting to ask me to fish them up certain fishies, which aren't caught in the grades of water that give me good SP but I don't mind, I rather fish up 10 blind fishies and make someone else happy then fish up 10 stacks of maiden carp which end up at the npc vendor.

My plans for tonight were, until the maintenance notice, fish for 2 hours and get to 41 fisher, then run around turning in those leves in the Black Shroud and grab some new ones before it's time for bed.
____________________________
FFXIV: Dennis Galen - FSH 50 | CRP 38 | LEA 27 | WEA 25 | CON 9 - Selbina server
FFXIV: Dennis Ramuh - CON 7 | ALC 7 - Selbina server
FFXI: Dennis - Hume Rank 10 Bastok - Ramuh server - LS: PandemoniumKnights
60 Summoner
75 Black Mage | 75 White Mage
75 Red Mage | AlchaFisherMage
Alchemy 93,1 +2 | Fish 100 | Gold 32
Wood 22 | Cooking 15 | Smith 14 | Leather 9
#27 Dec 06 2010 at 4:57 PM Rating: Good
***
1,612 posts
TauuOfSiren wrote:
So this starts in 20 minutes right?
ShockTopMagic wrote:
Emergency Chocobo Update!!!!!!!!!

Nah, it's obviously the emergency AH update.
One can only hope.

Also, Dennis fishes too much. Just put the fishing rod down, and step away from the ocean...
____________________________
"Abashed, the devil stood, and felt how awful goodness is..."
#28 Dec 06 2010 at 5:12 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
16 posts
DJvGalen wrote:

I skip alot of fish leves because it's faster to just stay fishing then to run/teleport to all 3 cities grabbing leves then run from hole to hole catching fishies. I'm at 11k from 41 fisher and that is about 2 hours of fishing, that's without leves. You'd know that because once you finish fish leves they are done, no need to turn them in. I do want to get to 42 fisher ASAP but that is because I can finally use my Yew fishing rod and also other gathering gear is available at rank 42

Besides, people are starting to ask me to fish them up certain fishies, which aren't caught in the grades of water that give me good SP but I don't mind, I rather fish up 10 blind fishies and make someone else happy then fish up 10 stacks of maiden carp which end up at the npc vendor.

My plans for tonight were, until the maintenance notice, fish for 2 hours and get to 41 fisher, then run around turning in those leves in the Black Shroud and grab some new ones before it's time for bed.



Move over to Besaid, I'll take the Maidens :)

Also, unless gathering jobs are different, the ranks are for optimal use, not required use. At 40, the penalty for not being optimal rank is probably better than what you currently have, no? At least in terms of the fishing rod; there's a lot of different gear available so it would be hard to make a direct comparison without knowing what you have now.
____________________________
#29 Dec 06 2010 at 5:25 PM Rating: Good
****
9,526 posts
DJvGalen wrote:

I skip alot of fish leves because it's faster to just stay fishing then to run/teleport to all 3 cities grabbing leves then run from hole to hole catching fishies.


I have a lot of respect for you cause of your level but I have a hard time turning down a leve with GA on it that gives me 5-650 SP per fish or... what I have found to be better is to do the "find this fishing hole" ones and getting 150-200 SP per fish with fast catches for 20 minutes.
____________________________
lolgaxe wrote:
When it comes to sitting around not doing anything for long periods of time, only being active for short windows, and marginal changes and sidegrades I'd say FFXI players were the perfect choice for politicians.


#30 Dec 06 2010 at 5:50 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
364 posts
Hydragyrum wrote:
DJvGalen wrote:
/sigh

I log in just in time to see "We are now starting the emergency maintenance.". And I was so looking forward to getting rank 41 tonight, instead no rank 41 and I have to run like **** after maintenance to turn in completed leves and grab new ones from last night's reset so I can complete them tomorrow night before getting more leves from tomorrow's reset. Yup, this game is very casual player friendly... I hope they move the maintenance back to their original schedule when I'm at work.


Casual friendly does not mean "Get to level cap in two months". The fact that you're rank 41 and have the mentality that you need to utilize every leve before each reset proves that you are not a casual player. Don't go knocking the game because YOU have the desire to hit level cap ASAP. That is not how casual players play.


That makes a nice sound (text) bite and all, but it's really an argument over semantics. Does Casual = Mainstream or does Casual = Hardcore with little free time? Given one definition, you're right. Given the other, you're dead wrong. This is an important distinction to make, because you're inevitably going to have people equating it both ways.
#31 Dec 06 2010 at 6:06 PM Rating: Decent
Sage
**
447 posts
Furia wrote:
Hydragyrum wrote:
DJvGalen wrote:
/sigh

I log in just in time to see "We are now starting the emergency maintenance.". And I was so looking forward to getting rank 41 tonight, instead no rank 41 and I have to run like **** after maintenance to turn in completed leves and grab new ones from last night's reset so I can complete them tomorrow night before getting more leves from tomorrow's reset. Yup, this game is very casual player friendly... I hope they move the maintenance back to their original schedule when I'm at work.


Casual friendly does not mean "Get to level cap in two months". The fact that you're rank 41 and have the mentality that you need to utilize every leve before each reset proves that you are not a casual player. Don't go knocking the game because YOU have the desire to hit level cap ASAP. That is not how casual players play.


That makes a nice sound (text) bite and all, but it's really an argument over semantics. Does Casual = Mainstream or does Casual = Hardcore with little free time? Given one definition, you're right. Given the other, you're dead wrong. This is an important distinction to make, because you're inevitably going to have people equating it both ways.


Very good point. When SE says "we want to make XIV appeal to casual gamers", most of us interpret that to be "casual PC gamers", i.e., the least hard of the hardcore. My girlfriend with her iPhone games may consider herself a "casual gamer", but wouldn't even know where to begin in any PC game, let alone an MMO.

I don't really see how XIV is more casual than say WoW... I really don't. Both are huge time sinks. I actually love playing XIV, but WoW is for sure easy-mode, in my own opinion (and I don't mean that in a bad way, just using it as a basis for comparison).

Either way, definitely ironic that Mr. Rank 40 is harping about the game not being casual enough.
____________________________
Djigga, please. Highland Hyurs can't jump.

#32 Dec 06 2010 at 6:18 PM Rating: Default
Scholar
*
200 posts
Imagine how irritated people would be about "emergency maintainances" like this if they were actually PAYING for the game? Get it out of your system now SE.
#33 Dec 06 2010 at 7:47 PM Rating: Good
**
800 posts
Buttsniffa wrote:
Imagine how irritated people would be about "emergency maintainances" like this if they were actually PAYING for the game? Get it out of your system now SE.


Really? Every MMO has down time. EVERY SINGLE ONE. In fact, as far as releases go FFXIV had incredibly good uptime for a brand new MMO. Most have daily maintenances for at least the first week. A 3 hour maintenance once per WEEK for a new MMO is incredibly good. I really hope you're just new to the MMO scene. If not, get used to a lot of disappointment if you think SE has had too much downtime with FFXIV. You can rag on the game for content, UI, lag, etc. etc. but their uptime:downtime ratio has been incredibly good.
#34 Dec 06 2010 at 7:54 PM Rating: Decent
**
800 posts
Furia wrote:
Hydragyrum wrote:
DJvGalen wrote:
/sigh

I log in just in time to see "We are now starting the emergency maintenance.". And I was so looking forward to getting rank 41 tonight, instead no rank 41 and I have to run like **** after maintenance to turn in completed leves and grab new ones from last night's reset so I can complete them tomorrow night before getting more leves from tomorrow's reset. Yup, this game is very casual player friendly... I hope they move the maintenance back to their original schedule when I'm at work.


Casual friendly does not mean "Get to level cap in two months". The fact that you're rank 41 and have the mentality that you need to utilize every leve before each reset proves that you are not a casual player. Don't go knocking the game because YOU have the desire to hit level cap ASAP. That is not how casual players play.


That makes a nice sound (text) bite and all, but it's really an argument over semantics. Does Casual = Mainstream or does Casual = Hardcore with little free time? Given one definition, you're right. Given the other, you're dead wrong. This is an important distinction to make, because you're inevitably going to have people equating it both ways.


Are you serious? Casual clearly dose not mean "Hardcore with little free time". That's the opposite of Casual. I'm not sure what your point is since you're basically equating Casual to either "Casual" or "Hardcore". Nobody thinks Casual means "Hardcore with little freetime". You just equated two opposites.

I'm flabergasted. That's literally like saying white = black. Man = woman. Casual = Hardcore...

Ok, I'll "explain" it to you then. Casual means being able to log in for as little as 20 minutes and being able to achieve something. For instance Battleleves. You can accept, teleport, and complete most rank 1-20 battleleves in under 20 minutes. That's casual. Having to camp a mob spawn for hours or battles that are intended to take hours is NOT casual (AKA Hardcore).

I'm really curious where you get your second "definition" of Casual from.
#35Buttsniffa, Posted: Dec 06 2010 at 8:00 PM, Rating: Sub-Default, (Expand Post) No, I've been on the MMO scene for quite a while and to shut the game down to "fix" a synth issue this minor is bogus. This type of crap could've waited till the Dec patch. The entire economy wasn't in danger because of a few f'd up synths.
#36 Dec 06 2010 at 8:02 PM Rating: Default
Scholar
*
200 posts
With that being said, I like that SE is on top of the game so far, but two shutdowns in one week to fix fish hooks, etc., while other issues at hand are more important seems a lil bit dumb to me. Sorry if I'm the minority.
#37 Dec 06 2010 at 10:03 PM Rating: Default
Scholar
**
364 posts
Hydragyrum wrote:
Are you serious? Casual clearly dose not mean "Hardcore with little free time". That's the opposite of Casual. I'm not sure what your point is since you're basically equating Casual to either "Casual" or "Hardcore". Nobody thinks Casual means "Hardcore with little freetime". You just equated two opposites.

I'm flabergasted. That's literally like saying white = black. Man = woman. Casual = Hardcore...

Ok, I'll "explain" it to you then. Casual means being able to log in for as little as 20 minutes and being able to achieve something. For instance Battleleves. You can accept, teleport, and complete most rank 1-20 battleleves in under 20 minutes. That's casual. Having to camp a mob spawn for hours or battles that are intended to take hours is NOT casual (AKA Hardcore).

I'm really curious where you get your second "definition" of Casual from.


Perhaps I gave you a little too much credit. I didn't think anyone could sit and call this game (in it's present state) casual with a straight face and actually mean that it was approachable and user friendly to a wide variety of people. Pretty much every aspect of the game caters to the most hardcore of hardcore from the ridiculously time intensive repair system, to the exploit friendly (in a financial sense) economy, and one of the steepest XP curves of any MMO in recent memory (just to name a few).

I think the flaw in your logic is the assumption that bite sized content (leves) and a (limited) teleport system somehow make the game casual. That may be partially true if this wasn't an MMO, or the gameplay was action packed, deeply strategic, and engaging, but it's kinda none of the above. Historically, MMO's are designed around character progression. It's a staple of the genre and RPG's to general. With FFXIV specifically, it is the very core of the game's design. Literally every aspect revolves around it and exists to serve it. Therefore, in the absence of tangible and rewarding progress, I think it's fair to say it ceases to be defined as casual

I will concede you would have a very valid point if the game stopped at R15 or 20, but unfortunately, it does not and is horribly balanced beyond point. I don't know if you are aware, but at a certain point not too far into the game, progress slows to such a crawl it is physically and mentally impossible for any sane (casual) player to continue on. To me, it doesn't really matter where that happens, the fact that it does automatically excludes it from being labeled as such. Now this will inevitably change, but for now, we can only comment on the game in it's current state.


Edited, Dec 7th 2010 2:16am by Furia
#38 Dec 06 2010 at 10:08 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
2,153 posts
FFXIV casual friendly?
THE LAUGHZ.

...well, unless you are happy with playing in the low twenties for a year or so.
And miss out on the AWESOME CONTENT we all know to await you @50.

Edited, Dec 6th 2010 11:11pm by Rinsui
#39 Dec 06 2010 at 11:52 PM Rating: Default
Sage
**
447 posts
Hydragyrum wrote:

I'm really curious where you get your second "definition" of Casual from.


I'm sorry, but the last time I checked, "Casual" and "MMO" were opposites. You're deluding yourself if you think any MMO can ever be "casual" by the mainstream definition of the word. Casual in this context means casual relative to the world of MMOs (or generously, relative to the world of PC gaming), but our girlfriends with iPhone whack-a-mole or Grandma with Solitaire "casual gamers" will never play this game, nor was it designed for them to.

I honestly think the "casual" think was lost in translation from Japanese. MMOs are not casual, and I don't think SE ever believed that XIV was going to make MMOs mainstream accessible.
____________________________
Djigga, please. Highland Hyurs can't jump.

#40 Dec 07 2010 at 12:38 AM Rating: Excellent
*****
16,959 posts
I'm only basing this off of my time playing FFXI, but when I think "casual", it's being able to enjoy or accomplish something with very little time spent researching, traveling or waiting around.

For the most part, I think FFXIV fits under this definition. For sure, you can spend more time playing, and accomplish much more.
But then, that shouldn't matter to a casual player, should it?

As long as the player feels that they are adequately rewarded for their time playing (however short), I think the game succeeds at being "casual friendly".


I certainly didn't feel that FFXI was casual friendly, nor was it really built to work that way. I think FFXIV is shaping up to be a little bit of both.
____________________________
MyAnimeList FFXIV Krystal Spoonless
#41 Dec 07 2010 at 1:13 AM Rating: Default
Scholar
**
364 posts
Kirby, Star Breaker wrote:
I'm only basing this off of my time playing FFXI, but when I think "casual", it's being able to enjoy or accomplish something with very little time spent researching, traveling or waiting around.

For the most part, I think FFXIV fits under this definition. For sure, you can spend more time playing, and accomplish much more.
But then, that shouldn't matter to a casual player, should it?

As long as the player feels that they are adequately rewarded for their time playing (however short), I think the game succeeds at being "casual friendly".


I certainly didn't feel that FFXI was casual friendly, nor was it really built to work that way. I think FFXIV is shaping up to be a little bit of both.


Experience the game in the 30's and especially the 40's and see if you feel the same. You can literally play for 10 hours straight and feel like you've been standing still. I can't even imagine spreading those 10 hours out across a week or more, it would be like digging your way out of prison with a spoon.

Edited, Dec 7th 2010 2:29am by Furia
#42 Dec 07 2010 at 1:56 AM Rating: Good
*****
16,959 posts
I'll let you know once I hit 30. I've got 4 classes at 20 on my main character (Archer, Gladiator, Marauder and Botanist).

From what you've said though, the game doesn't sound very fun past 30 even for a "hardcore" gamer.

Edited, Dec 7th 2010 12:57am by Kirby
____________________________
MyAnimeList FFXIV Krystal Spoonless
#43 Dec 07 2010 at 1:58 AM Rating: Decent
It was fun. All that needs to be done to fix it is make parties significantly more worthwhile again.
____________________________
Alice White @ Fantaji

#44 Dec 07 2010 at 3:32 AM Rating: Good
49 posts
At the current state the maxium level for each job is 31.
If you insist on going beyond that the game turns not-so-very-much-casual. 8)
#45 Dec 07 2010 at 4:11 AM Rating: Good
*
130 posts
This game is not casual friendly post 30 for, in my opinion, one simple reason: we are not supposed to reach rank50 in 2 months otherwise it would ***** up the PS23 release with a too much wide gap. At the moment, I see it as motivating us to do horizontal leveling. This game is casual friendly in the sens that you have to think differently from other MMOs to see how it is firendly.
It takes 15minutes to reach rank10. It takes less than 30 minutes to finish 3 rank30 leves with a reasonnable amount of SP gain and rank up in one week or so just by doing leves. So that players that can only log for a couple of hours per day can actually have something to do and don't have to party to be able to do anything.
Again from previous post, only the hardcore gamers complain that FFXIV is a grind fest, the casual gamer will do the leves (battlefield and craftfield) and then maybe craft a bit more some of the items they got during the leves and then log out. I have so far never had the feeling that I had to stay logged on for more than 5 hours a day to be able to do something. In my opinion, the 'party SP broken' is just a way to force us to the horizontal leveling because this is what the game is all about for now, at least until PS3 release.
____________________________

yfaithfully wrote:
To add to those, if you can get this DeLorean up to 88 MPH, you'll be able to play this game in 2019 when they've finally implemented mounts.

#46 Dec 07 2010 at 10:55 AM Rating: Good
**
800 posts
Carmillia wrote:
This game is not casual friendly post 30 for, in my opinion, one simple reason: we are not supposed to reach rank50 in 2 months otherwise it would ***** up the PS23 release with a too much wide gap. At the moment, I see it as motivating us to do horizontal leveling. This game is casual friendly in the sens that you have to think differently from other MMOs to see how it is firendly.
It takes 15minutes to reach rank10. It takes less than 30 minutes to finish 3 rank30 leves with a reasonnable amount of SP gain and rank up in one week or so just by doing leves. So that players that can only log for a couple of hours per day can actually have something to do and don't have to party to be able to do anything.
Again from previous post, only the hardcore gamers complain that FFXIV is a grind fest, the casual gamer will do the leves (battlefield and craftfield) and then maybe craft a bit more some of the items they got during the leves and then log out. I have so far never had the feeling that I had to stay logged on for more than 5 hours a day to be able to do something. In my opinion, the 'party SP broken' is just a way to force us to the horizontal leveling because this is what the game is all about for now, at least until PS3 release.


+1. If you insist on completing all the content the game has to offer in the first few months, of course you're going to get burned out. SE does not WANT us to get to rank 50 this early, they don't have content ready for it (likely due to the premature release). All the people who are in the rank 40's complaining that it's too hard to progress, well duh! You're at the current "end-game". Do you really want to be done with FFXIV so soon? What's the point to capping your rank?

I think you'll find FFXIV a much more enjoyable experience if you simply enjoy what you're doing instead of staring at your skill points bar waiting for it to fill up. We are not in end-game mode like FFXI is.

Again, "casual friendly" does not mean able to complete the game in a short time. It means being able to accomplish something worthwhile in a short time. Doing a leve for 2000+ skill points in 30 minutes is an accomplishment, and we can do 8 in a 36 hour period. That's roughly 2 and a half hours per day which is how much time casual players have to play. No casual player expects to hit rank 50 in a month because they're not concerned about ranking up. They're concerned about having fun. A concept lost on a lot of MMO players these days.
#47 Dec 07 2010 at 11:14 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
1,104 posts
Hydragyrum wrote:
No casual player expects to hit rank 50 in a month because they're not concerned about ranking up. They're concerned about having fun. A concept lost on a lot of MMO players these days.
What if ranking up and watching your character become stronger and gain access to cool new gear and abilities is HOW you have fun? Why do 'fun' and 'progress' have to be mutually exclusive? Just because SE said so?
____________________________

Melaahna Valiera
#48 Dec 07 2010 at 11:18 AM Rating: Good
**
800 posts
Timorith wrote:
Hydragyrum wrote:
No casual player expects to hit rank 50 in a month because they're not concerned about ranking up. They're concerned about having fun. A concept lost on a lot of MMO players these days.
What if ranking up and watching your character become stronger and gain access to cool new gear and abilities is HOW you have fun? Why do 'fun' and 'progress' have to be mutually exclusive? Just because SE said so?


You're absolutely right. I'm assuming that if people are here whining about how the game isn't casual friendly and complaining that SE is doing it wrong etc. etc. that they're not having fun. They need to try something different. There are plenty of people who are contentedly ranking up and not whining about it.

Edit: To continue my line of thinking, if someone actually enjoyed leveling up they would not want it to be over. The people who are demanding SE give them ranks faster clearly don't enjoy ranking up because they want it to be over faster. Rather, they enjoy being at the rank cap. Which is why I say they're in for a load of disappointment because they're going to complete end-game content much faster than SE can develop it. This is true of any MMO. There is always a group of players who finishes new content as soon as possible. There's nothing wrong with this but to claim this group is "casual" is laughable.

Edited, Dec 7th 2010 11:25am by Hydragyrum
This forum is read only
This Forum is Read Only!
Recent Visitors: 24 All times are in CST
Anonymous Guests (24)