Forum Settings
       
This Forum is Read Only

Anyone else not playing because of retainers?Follow

#1 Dec 07 2010 at 3:22 PM Rating: Good
*
126 posts
I've logged in once over the last... It might be two months now. I logged in after the Nov update and haven't logged back in since.

Despite my numerous gripes with the game I think I may have been able to overlook them if I had the ability to purchase more retainers and thus more inventory space. I created a second character but without a mail system that obviously didn't help too much.

I want to be completely self sufficient so rather than buy or sell my materials I keep them. I want to level up all my crafts and not having the inventory space to farm/gather my materials and then craft them up is pretty much killing it for me at this point. I vendor most "useless" materials but I'm full on things I actually need.

I've pretty much given up on group play until SE implements a better search function and tweaks the party dynamics. The grind that is crafting and farming was all that I really had left to keep me playing until things get "better" and I haven't really been able to do that so I'm not even playing at this point. Fallout: New Vegas, Fable III, Call of Duty: Black Ops, Gran Turismo 5 and Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit have been getting all of my time and will continue to until I can purchase more retainers :(

Anyone else not playing or not playing as much as they'd like to because SE hasn't let us purchase more retainers yet?

Edited, Dec 7th 2010 4:24pm by Sasorex
____________________________
#2 Dec 07 2010 at 3:26 PM Rating: Excellent
It's frustrating, yes, but I haven't stopped playing due to it.

We've got 200 inventory spaces with the Nov 26. update. That's really quite a lot. A lot of stuff I just sell back to NPCs though. It's not worth the effort or time to try to place some of the random loot I get onto my retainer in the hopes that it will sell, so I just save my bag space and sanity by doing mass NPC'ing.
#3 Dec 07 2010 at 3:32 PM Rating: Good
**
800 posts
The same principle applies to inventory as to money: The more of it you have, the more you spend(use). If we had 500 or 1,000 inventory spaces we'd have it filled up just as quickly and begging for more. The problem isn't the lack of inventory but rather the lack of organization. You yourself said you are leveling many crafts. People who level multiple things at once have always had to manage their inventory more than people who only level one job/craft.

I'm willing to bet you don't "need" half of what you claim you do. I'm sure you could do a good cleaning and get back at least 30 inventory spaces. If you're unsure of an item, look it up here and see what it's used in. If you can't craft the product or have no desire to, NPC it. There's no sense in hoarding tin ore if you've got 200 Bronze nuggets sitting around.
#4 Dec 07 2010 at 3:34 PM Rating: Default
***
3,530 posts
Even if I could purchase retainers, I'd hate to start doing micro-transactions just to expand my inventory. >_<;

And before anyone says that people used mules in FFXI, they should consider that mules were a player-invented workaround to limited inventory -- they were second characters. Retainers are just micro-transaction bazaar-gobbiebags tacked on for an extra $1 a month. :P
____________________________
"... he called to himself a wizard, named Gallery, hoping by this means to escape the paying of the fifteen hundred crowns..." (Machen 15)

"Thus opium is pleasing... on account of the agreeable delirium it produces." (Burke para.6)

"I could only read so much for this paper and the syphilis poem had to go."
#5 Dec 07 2010 at 3:35 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
812 posts
I just vendor everything I don't need myself or that one my ls mates has requested from me, or doesn't fit with the stuff my retainer is selling. I definitely won't be paying real money for a second retainer, so no, not being able to buy a second one is not stopping me from playing in the slightest.
____________________________
Abaddon Active Player Roster
- All your Fabul Sever are belong to us! -


#6 Dec 07 2010 at 3:39 PM Rating: Excellent
KaneKitty wrote:
Even if I could purchase retainers, I'd hate to start doing micro-transactions just to expand my inventory. >_<;

And before anyone says that people used mules in FFXI, they should consider that mules were a player-invented workaround to limited inventory -- they were second characters. Retainers are just micro-transaction bazaar-gobbiebags tacked on for an extra $1 a month. :P


Honestly though, doesn't it all come down to the exact same thing? A dollar extra a month for a mule? I'll bet that with very few exceptions, next to nobody actually used their mules for characters in XI. Aside from fame quests/missions for more gobbiebags/moghouse expansions.
#7 Dec 07 2010 at 3:43 PM Rating: Good
Sage
**
534 posts
Its not the size of inventory that bothers me...its the fact I have no idea what anything is worth so I don't try to sell anything...which then keeps my inventory full.

The retainer system and economy are the only things that really bother me...but I keep playing. I know additional content will come later and I can live with that.

I wonder if part of the reason they have not released the ability to buy more retainers is because they know they may have to scrap the whole system and don't want to get too deep into it. It was easier to just give us more inventory space.
____________________________
Amos Fin - Ultros

#8 Dec 07 2010 at 3:50 PM Rating: Decent
*
126 posts
Hydragyrum wrote:
I'm willing to bet you don't "need" half of what you claim you do. I'm sure you could do a good cleaning and get back at least 30 inventory spaces. If you're unsure of an item, look it up here and see what it's used in. If you can't craft the product or have no desire to, NPC it. There's no sense in hoarding tin ore if you've got 200 Bronze nuggets sitting around.


I'm not some hoarder -_- Between equipment for jobs, equipment for crafting, crafting tools, crafting materials and repair materials I'm completely out of inventory space. I don't keep things I may need in the future I keep things I need now.

I'll admit my problem at this point probably is because I've been trying to level up multiple jobs and crafts at the same time. That's what I want to do and I'm not able to do it effectively because SE has not permitted us to purchase more retainers yet. Which I believe is because of the continued extension of the free trial period.

Edited, Dec 7th 2010 4:53pm by Sasorex
____________________________
#9 Dec 07 2010 at 3:54 PM Rating: Good
*****
11,539 posts
If by "because of retainers", you mean "the ones in the market wards" then yes, they are affecting my desire to play.

Inventory space isn't an issue since I started vendoring absolutely everything and anything but crystals and shards because figuring out what my ore and branches and lumber and bait is all worth is too much time and work.

If you're on Rabanastre and looking for cheap mob drops, I'll sell just about anything I have for a reasonable price that is more than what an NPC would pay.
____________________________
[ffxisig]55836[/ffxisig]

Mikhalia: and FWIW, my posts are 95% helpful, informative, or funny.
Mikhalia: only 5% or less of my posts are utter crap.
Tyapex: 393 posts of utter crap...
Mikhalia: Sounds about right.
#10 Dec 07 2010 at 3:55 PM Rating: Good
*
222 posts
KaneKitty wrote:
Even if I could purchase retainers, I'd hate to start doing micro-transactions just to expand my inventory. >_<;

And before anyone says that people used mules in FFXI, they should consider that mules were a player-invented workaround to limited inventory -- they were second characters. Retainers are just micro-transaction bazaar-gobbiebags tacked on for an extra $1 a month. :P


Also in FFXI we had a mail system, it was easier to send stuff to a mule.
____________________________


#11 Dec 07 2010 at 4:03 PM Rating: Good
***
1,612 posts
If only we had an auction house, then your issues would be null and void. You would be able to sell extra materials, etc, and then buy them back later when you actually need them.
____________________________
"Abashed, the devil stood, and felt how awful goodness is..."
#12 Dec 07 2010 at 4:31 PM Rating: Decent
*
182 posts
AH or not. Retainers or not. One for sure.. we really need a post box system like in XI.
I mean okay, it is just my personal oppinion. But that really wouldn't hurt anyone but benefit all.
#13 Dec 07 2010 at 4:54 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
*
246 posts
Yes, I have only played twice in the past two months because lack of retainers.
#14 Dec 07 2010 at 4:57 PM Rating: Good
****
9,526 posts
I still play but it drives me bananas.
____________________________
lolgaxe wrote:
When it comes to sitting around not doing anything for long periods of time, only being active for short windows, and marginal changes and sidegrades I'd say FFXI players were the perfect choice for politicians.


#15 Dec 07 2010 at 4:59 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
*
246 posts
Osarion, Goblin in Disguise wrote:
KaneKitty wrote:
Even if I could purchase retainers, I'd hate to start doing micro-transactions just to expand my inventory. >_<;

And before anyone says that people used mules in FFXI, they should consider that mules were a player-invented workaround to limited inventory -- they were second characters. Retainers are just micro-transaction bazaar-gobbiebags tacked on for an extra $1 a month. :P


Honestly though, doesn't it all come down to the exact same thing? A dollar extra a month for a mule? I'll bet that with very few exceptions, next to nobody actually used their mules for characters in XI. Aside from fame quests/missions for more gobbiebags/moghouse expansions.


I had 1 main character and 10 mules in FFXI. I mostly used them for gardening, but it also helped a great deal with organizing. A couple of them were used to have multiple crafts at level 100.

With as many people as have disappeared from the game already, I have no idea why SE hasn't implemented the expansion of retainers yet. I thought it was supposed to be something that was available on day 1.
#16 Dec 07 2010 at 5:06 PM Rating: Good
49 posts
It would be nice to know how much of completely usable items are getting trashed becouse the selling is such a drag 8)
#17 Dec 07 2010 at 5:09 PM Rating: Good
*
126 posts
LordMethos wrote:
Osarion, Goblin in Disguise wrote:
KaneKitty wrote:
Even if I could purchase retainers, I'd hate to start doing micro-transactions just to expand my inventory. >_<;

And before anyone says that people used mules in FFXI, they should consider that mules were a player-invented workaround to limited inventory -- they were second characters. Retainers are just micro-transaction bazaar-gobbiebags tacked on for an extra $1 a month. :P


Honestly though, doesn't it all come down to the exact same thing? A dollar extra a month for a mule? I'll bet that with very few exceptions, next to nobody actually used their mules for characters in XI. Aside from fame quests/missions for more gobbiebags/moghouse expansions.


I had 1 main character and 10 mules in FFXI. I mostly used them for gardening, but it also helped a great deal with organizing. A couple of them were used to have multiple crafts at level 100.

With as many people as have disappeared from the game already, I have no idea why SE hasn't implemented the expansion of retainers yet. I thought it was supposed to be something that was available on day 1.


My personal belief as to why additional retainers haven't been implemented yet is due to the continuous extension of the free trial period. Since characters and additional characters were already covered under the free trial period I believe they (SE) don't want everyone to have a large amount of retainers that they're not paying for.
____________________________
#18 Dec 07 2010 at 5:17 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
1,098 posts
I didn't even notice the inventory increase till 3 days after they did it.I need 3 or 4 retainer just to craft like I dreamed this game would be like. It's just to much plus 1, 2 and 3 that fill inventory to max, with more retainers people will be hitching rides to cities again.
____________________________





#19 Dec 07 2010 at 11:23 PM Rating: Good
33 posts
The inability to purchase extra retainers has seriously compromised my enjoyment of the game. There are other issues but this is my big hot-button issue. I haven't even logged in to check the updates because none of them offered more retainers. I'm just waiting out the free play time hoping that this is added.
This forum is read only
This Forum is Read Only!
Recent Visitors: 20 All times are in CST
Anonymous Guests (20)