Forum Settings
       
« Previous 1 2
This Forum is Read Only

Its funny how they wanted to "americanize" the game..Follow

#1 Dec 08 2010 at 4:52 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
1,536 posts
...and they did it with silly little things. Let me ask all of you here a question, would any of you not have played the game if the classes were your typical "FF" classes by name? I mean Gladiator is Paladin, Marauder is Warrior, Pugilist is Monk, Conjurer is Blackmage (more or less), Archer is ok and Thaumaturge is probably a debilitating class maybe call it Redmage oh and of course Lancer is a Dragoon.

This stuff doesn't annoy me too much but when I think back to most FF games I've played and FFXI they had a more "Final Fantasy" feel to them, this game seems to strip that away a little. Maybe when they have functional airships and Chocobos, that feeling will come back but why did they have to go and change the class names? I read somewhere long ago about them doing this to make it more appealing to the American market. Now I dunno about you guys but I think the game has bigger problems than some class names....if they thought this game would only be held back because of its class names, boy where they in for a big surprise lol.

So anyway, would any of you seriously not have considered playing the game because of the class names? would you guys have loved the older class names instead? I'm asking this because the Japanese version of the game (I believe) uses the usual class names that were used in FFXI, which I found a little odd (and someone correct me if i'm wrong on this please).

Do you prefer the "vintage" class names or the new ones?
Vintage baby! give me my Dragoons, Dark Knights and Paladins! :137 (57.3%)
Out with the old, in with the new! my Pugiilist is better than any Monk I know! :14 (5.9%)
I don't care... :41 (17.2%)
**** you for wasting my time with this topic! :47 (19.7%)
Total:239
____________________________
MUTED
#2 Dec 08 2010 at 4:54 PM Rating: Good
*****
11,539 posts
I think they're just using new names for the sake of using new names, both for races and for classes/jobs.

I liked the old "traditional" names better.
____________________________
[ffxisig]55836[/ffxisig]

Mikhalia: and FWIW, my posts are 95% helpful, informative, or funny.
Mikhalia: only 5% or less of my posts are utter crap.
Tyapex: 393 posts of utter crap...
Mikhalia: Sounds about right.
#3 Dec 08 2010 at 4:55 PM Rating: Excellent
Anterograde Amnesia
Avatar
*****
12,363 posts
I was thinking they wanted to distinguish this game from XI and so gave the classes different names. Just a guess.
____________________________
"Choosy MMO's choose Wint." - Louiscool
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was to convince the world he didn't exist.
Keyser Soze - Ultros
Guide to Setting Up Mumble on a Raspberry Pi
#4 Dec 08 2010 at 4:57 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
**
812 posts
I could care less. They could call a conjurer a flaming monkey humper, but as long as the spells still work, I'd play it.
____________________________
Abaddon Active Player Roster
- All your Fabul Sever are belong to us! -


#5 Dec 08 2010 at 4:58 PM Rating: Good
I don't think it was so much an attempt to "americanize" the game as it was SE trying to keep us from viewing XIV as just another XI. I think they tried to appeal to the XI crowd as much as they could without making it the same game. I do agree that part of the continuity of the final fantasy games is the classes, but even those have seen some changes over the years. Warrior was called Fighter back in the day, and that's just one example. So while continuity is important to call it a FF game, there are other things that help out with that as well. I applaud SE for not locking themselves in a box with every game.
____________________________
IRC: Kagutsuchi

FFXI:
Tolite
Formerly of Lakshmi, now in Asura

FFXIV:
Kagu Tsuchi
Ultros
#6 Dec 08 2010 at 5:00 PM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
***
1,330 posts
Wint wrote:
I was thinking they wanted to distinguish this game from XI and so gave the classes different names. Just a guess.


This.
#7 Dec 08 2010 at 5:01 PM Rating: Excellent
Im STILL waiting for Sword-ChucksTM

Edited, Dec 8th 2010 6:03pm by FinalFanXIV
____________________________

Osarion = Red Mage
Mikhalia = Black Mage Evilwizardington
FinalFanXIV = Fighter McWarrior
All we are missing is Thief, Clan Khee'Bler and we will have the full Light Warriors party.
#8 Dec 08 2010 at 5:05 PM Rating: Excellent
Sage
Avatar
*
197 posts
I too feel it's solely so there would be one less argument to call XIV a XI-2, but I do miss the old names. I feel less attached to my character being a Conjurer than I would if I'd be called a Black or White Mage. Maybe it's just a matter of habit *shrug*.
#9 Dec 08 2010 at 5:06 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
*
225 posts
Conj is more a red mage than THM is, Conj is more red mage than Black mage. You learn this the minute you pick up fast cast, and get chainspell.
____________________________


#10 Dec 08 2010 at 5:11 PM Rating: Excellent
Sage
**
378 posts
I always got the impression that they changed the names of classes so that we wouldn't think of them as definitive "jobs." They want us to construct our own ideal characters from across all the classes. Gladiators aren't paladins because they want us to be able to build our own job from abilities across the board.

If you want to be a paladin, level up conjuror and gladiator and mix the abilities accordingly.

If you want something more akin to ffxi's thief, level gladiator, lancer and pugilist.

If you want a darkknight ish type, marauder and thaumaturge.

Granted they have in no way achieved this flexibility yet... But I think that was what their goal was.
____________________________

Retainer: Ferthmart
FFXI: Ferth - Cerbereus Nee Hades Nee Leviathan.
#11 Dec 08 2010 at 5:13 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
283 posts
Jefro420 wrote:
I could care less. They could call a conjurer a flaming monkey humper, but as long as the spells still work, I'd play it.


**** YOU!!! Now I want to play a Flaming monkey humper!!!!! GAWD!!!
#12 Dec 08 2010 at 5:13 PM Rating: Good
**
401 posts
I'm not going to lie, I do miss the "traditional" job names from previous FF games. But in the grand scheme of things, its just a name. I've grumbled about it a bit, but ultimately got over it.
____________________________
FFXI: Server Ifrit
Licksthekitty - 68THF/41WHM/37NIN/30BLM/20COR Mithra Retired

WoW: Realm Darkspear
Claybosmash - 80 Orc Warrior Retired
Ipwnrice - 70 Undead Rogue Retired


#13 Dec 08 2010 at 5:13 PM Rating: Excellent
****
9,526 posts
I can't agree with this ... the reason the jobs have different names is because they are different jobs. I bet a bard will be called a bard, however. But a conjurer is not a black mage. Nor is a thm a red mage. Seriously. Have you played these classes?

They changed the names simply because they changed the jobs. A gladiator without conjurer/thm skills is definitely not a paladin... Se stated that the reason they went with these names is so the jobs were not as pidgeonholed and so that people would be more inclined to mix and match abilities to create their own job without getting caught up in the way things were in other titles.
____________________________
lolgaxe wrote:
When it comes to sitting around not doing anything for long periods of time, only being active for short windows, and marginal changes and sidegrades I'd say FFXI players were the perfect choice for politicians.


#14 Dec 08 2010 at 5:15 PM Rating: Good
***
3,416 posts
"Pugilist" is not a "Monk". "Conjurer" is not a "Red Mage".

Gladiator is not a "Warrior". Lancer is not a "Dragoon".

This should be obvious? They don't fit.

No FF game has really had these classes since what, FF11? I was fine with Saboteur Sentinel and Medic, I am fine with Gladiator Thaumaturge and Arcanist.

No, not just fine- it should be this way. Even if the art style is the same, the whole setting in the game really makes these classes a part of it. Roegadyns aren't really Galkas. Lalafells aren't exactly Tarutarus. Ul'dah as a city-state doesn't give me the Bastok feel, nor even Aht Urhgan. Limsa Lominsa doesn't remind me of Jeuno in any other way than being on an island. And let's not even go into the Garlean subject.

I think it's really good for what it tries to accomplish, yet sadly barren for now. People should let go. They're trying to do something great here, and it is exciting to see how it will end up. Not like XI, that's for sure.

Edited, Dec 9th 2010 2:20am by Hyanmen
____________________________
SE:
Quote:
We really want to compete against World of Warcraft and for example the new Star Wars MMO.

#15 Dec 08 2010 at 5:17 PM Rating: Good
**
398 posts
Well, you also have to think of the functionality of them.

How is a pugilist like a monk, in any way? Pugilists are more like street brawlers than monks are, by a very very wide margin. Conjurers, as said above, are more like Red Mages. However, what would Thaumaturge be? Red mages as well? The two classes are nearly identical, the only difference being that Conjurers have buffs, while thaumaturges have debuffs, and different aoe settings.

I don't think they "renamed" them to be more American. They renamed them because they didn't fit the predefined class roles you guys have from FFXI.

And really. Gladiator is nothing like Paladin. Lancer, while using the same weapon as a Dragoon, has absolutely no sorts of jumping attacks. The list goes on.

But really, I agree with the monkey humper guy. They can name them whatever they want, and I don't think it's to make the game "more American"
#16 Dec 08 2010 at 5:21 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
***
2,153 posts
Quote:
I'm asking this because the Japanese version of the game (I believe) uses the usual class names that were used in FFXI,


...no. Actually the Japanese names deviate even more from the traditional ones. Most are literal translations for the westernized/latinized names used in the US version. Like "Sword Fighter" for "Gladiator", "Brawl Fighter" for "Pugilist" and "Spear Fighter" for "Lancer". So it's even more boring - just "Weapon + Fighter" for a name. An exception are the mage classes; "Conjurer" translates as "Illusionist", and the mega-awkward "Thaumaturge" is a pretty cool "Curse Spellmaster" in the Japanese version.

That said - I miss White Mages and Warriors just as much as anyone else.

Btw: As unlikely as it may seem, you guys actually seem to have received the better version this time round. When I read, for example, the guildleve descriptions on Alla and compare them with the ones on my own leves, the English version almost always outshines the Japanese one. To a degree where I begin asking myself which one is the original, and which one the localization.

Quote:
Roegadyns aren't really Galkas. Lalafells aren't exactly Tarutarus


...and I presume if someone sold you an 1968 beetle wrapped in red ribbon as a Ferrari, you would be convinced it was the best deal you've ever made.

Edited, Dec 8th 2010 6:26pm by Rinsui
#17 Dec 08 2010 at 5:28 PM Rating: Good
Rinsui wrote:
Quote:
I'm asking this because the Japanese version of the game (I believe) uses the usual class names that were used in FFXI,


...no. Actually the Japanese names deviate even more from the traditional ones. Most are literal translations for the westernized/latinized names used in the US version. Like "Sword Fighter" for "Gladiator", "Brawl Fighter" for "Pugilist" and "Spear Fighter" for "Lancer". So it's even more boring - just "Weapon + Fighter" for a name. An exception are the mage classes; "Conjurer" translates as "Illusionist", and the mega-awkward "Thaumaturge" is a pretty cool "Curse Spellmaster" in the Japanese version.

That said - I miss White Mages and Warriors just as much as anyone else.

Btw: As unlikely as it may seem, you guys actually seem to have received the better version this time round. When I read, for example, the guildleve descriptions on Alla and compare them with the ones on my own leves, the English version almost always outshines the Japanese one. To a degree where I begin asking myself which one is the original, and which one the localization.

I wonder if the us translators aren't just getting better at it. For years and years we have had some pretty questionable translations of japanese story lines. It kind of added to the charm though, in most cases. I think now, that there has been some experience in the field, that they are able to really convey the original japanese meaning, or they just have the freedom from SE to spice things up. Either way, i'm kind of happy about it.

Edited, Dec 8th 2010 6:29pm by Teneleven
____________________________

#18 Dec 08 2010 at 5:37 PM Rating: Excellent
*****
11,539 posts
I do miss the lack of a dedicated healing class like White Mage.

I get the whole "I don't want to be pigeonholed as a healer just because I play X class", but some people actually DO want to be pigeonholed as a healer because they play that class. I mean, I loved to play as Whinja back in XI, but it's not like I was a Summonner who wanted to fight with my avatars or a Red Mage who wanted to defuff and nuke and I got shafted with curing duties; I picked WHM because I -wanted- to heal.

I really feel that in the interests of letting everybody do everything, they've kinda shafted the people who WANT to be looked at and people say "Red and White robes. That's a White Mage. They are healers."

I get that most people want to be a DD class, and I get the need for a variety of tanking type classes, while not pigeonholing a certain class as a tank class (Try joining a party as NIN or PLD and saying you're not a tank and watch the carnage). But I really think that FFXIV needs one class that "is a tank and only a tank" and one class that "is a healer and only a healer". Not that there shouldn't be any competition (I like that multiple classes can tank, for example) but that there should be one class that is dedicated to each of these purposes, so that the people who live for that role can identify with their characters better.

In FFXI, I was a RDM healer, I was a SMN healer, I was even a BLU healer once and a BLM healer once... but I only really felt like "a healer" when I was a White Mage.
____________________________
[ffxisig]55836[/ffxisig]

Mikhalia: and FWIW, my posts are 95% helpful, informative, or funny.
Mikhalia: only 5% or less of my posts are utter crap.
Tyapex: 393 posts of utter crap...
Mikhalia: Sounds about right.
#19 Dec 08 2010 at 6:17 PM Rating: Good
***
3,416 posts
Quote:
but some people actually DO want to be pigeonholed as a healer because they play that class.


And those people usually don't have to deal with looking for said class and inconveniences such as "no whm lfg" "and we're 5/6... oh well, break up for the day I guess".

I don't really feel sorry for them. They want to be pigeon holed for everyone else's expense.

Quote:

...and I presume if someone sold you an 1968 beetle wrapped in red ribbon as a Ferrari, you would be convinced it was the best deal you've ever made.


Why do you imply this is somehow "worse" than in XI? Humans can feel and act differently based on the setting, and that is not something to be criticized. They're doing a pretty good job so far with the rest of the races.

XI was always pretty **** basic, if you ask me. So traditional. Only Zilart and Kuluu had some edge to them.

"He criticized XI; Rate down".

Edited, Dec 9th 2010 3:21am by Hyanmen
____________________________
SE:
Quote:
We really want to compete against World of Warcraft and for example the new Star Wars MMO.

#20 Dec 08 2010 at 6:18 PM Rating: Excellent
Sethern79 wrote:
Jefro420 wrote:
I could care less. They could call a conjurer a flaming monkey humper, but as long as the spells still work, I'd play it.


**** YOU!!! Now I want to play a Flaming monkey humper!!!!! GAWD!!!
-.-
[img=184840]
____________________________

Osarion = Red Mage
Mikhalia = Black Mage Evilwizardington
FinalFanXIV = Fighter McWarrior
All we are missing is Thief, Clan Khee'Bler and we will have the full Light Warriors party.
#21 Dec 08 2010 at 6:32 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
2,153 posts
Quote:
I really feel that in the interests of letting everybody do everything, they've kinda shafted the people who WANT to be looked at and people say "Red and White robes. That's a White Mage. They are healers."


They missed out on the "R" in MMORPG.

Hope remains, though, as a recent interview explicitly stated they wanted to
"better distinguish the classes and increase their identity". Typical SE wording
that could mean anything form adding a Goblin-Juggler class to iceberg-sized moogles.
But...

Edited, Dec 8th 2010 7:34pm by Rinsui
#22 Dec 08 2010 at 6:35 PM Rating: Good
***
1,083 posts
Hyanmen wrote:
"Pugilist" is not a "Monk". "Conjurer" is not a "Red Mage".

Gladiator is not a "Warrior". Lancer is not a "Dragoon".


yes
____________________________
Wada: "There may be some areas of testing that were lacking or too rigid."
#23 Dec 08 2010 at 6:46 PM Rating: Decent
***
3,530 posts
Wint wrote:
I was thinking they wanted to distinguish this game from XI and so gave the classes different names. Just a guess.


I could think of better names to change to distinguish Final Fantasy 14 from other Final Fantasies... like the Final Fantasy part! Oh, and by not making the same races as FFXI. And (soon) some of the same notorious monsters as FFXI. And also by not using various NPC and place names, like Naja... and the various normal monsters, like Qiqirn and (soon) Goblins that have the same exact armor as Goblins in FFXI. XD

Not that I don't wish they had made this game "FFXI-2" instead of "IDK what we're doing: Online (IDKWWDO)" because I do; I am just pointing out that, if they had wanted to distinguish this game from FFXI, almost all of their behavior and design choices say otherwise.
____________________________
"... he called to himself a wizard, named Gallery, hoping by this means to escape the paying of the fifteen hundred crowns..." (Machen 15)

"Thus opium is pleasing... on account of the agreeable delirium it produces." (Burke para.6)

"I could only read so much for this paper and the syphilis poem had to go."
#24 Dec 08 2010 at 7:16 PM Rating: Excellent
Sage
***
1,246 posts
Both England and half of europe speak English too in case you didn't know.

I think westernize is the term you're looking for.
____________________________
Meowth!
#25 Dec 08 2010 at 7:17 PM Rating: Excellent
***
1,608 posts
I want them to change the name of Chocobos back to Horsebird.
____________________________

#26 Dec 08 2010 at 7:24 PM Rating: Excellent
***
3,530 posts
LyleVertigo wrote:
I want them to change the name of Chocobos back to Horsebird.


And "Moogle" back to "Diminutive Wing-Rat Moving-Item."
____________________________
"... he called to himself a wizard, named Gallery, hoping by this means to escape the paying of the fifteen hundred crowns..." (Machen 15)

"Thus opium is pleasing... on account of the agreeable delirium it produces." (Burke para.6)

"I could only read so much for this paper and the syphilis poem had to go."
#27 Dec 08 2010 at 7:25 PM Rating: Excellent
SolidMack wrote:
Gladiator is Paladin, Marauder is Warrior, Pugilist is Monk, Conjurer is Blackmage (more or less), Archer is ok and Thaumaturge is probably a debilitating class maybe call it Redmage oh and of course Lancer is a Dragoon


--and Beastmaster is oh MISSING --

Smiley: glare

KaneKitty wrote:
And "Moogle" back to "Diminutive Wing-Rat Moving-Item."


Yesss. Moving-Item, give me Hammers and Treasure that I may game this day.

Edited, Dec 8th 2010 7:29pm by Sioux
____________________________
~Kublakhan~
Taru career Beastmaster, Bismarck server

Facekey, local gilseller wrote:
THANK KUBLAHA HP++



#28 Dec 08 2010 at 7:40 PM Rating: Excellent
***
3,530 posts
Sioux Delivers on Time wrote:

Yesss. Moving-Item, give me Hammers and Treasure that I may game this day.


This made me lol and has since risen to the status of meme in my household.

Oh, Kubla, your jokes come sweet as honeydew.
____________________________
"... he called to himself a wizard, named Gallery, hoping by this means to escape the paying of the fifteen hundred crowns..." (Machen 15)

"Thus opium is pleasing... on account of the agreeable delirium it produces." (Burke para.6)

"I could only read so much for this paper and the syphilis poem had to go."
#29 Dec 08 2010 at 7:56 PM Rating: Good
Sage
**
378 posts
Teneleven of the Ten Storms wrote:

I wonder if the us translators aren't just getting better at it. For years and years we have had some pretty questionable translations of japanese story lines. It kind of added to the charm though, in most cases. I think now, that there has been some experience in the field, that they are able to really convey the original japanese meaning, or they just have the freedom from SE to spice things up. Either way, i'm kind of happy about it.

Edited, Dec 8th 2010 6:29pm by Teneleven


SE actually has a pretty good translation team now, which can be witnessed in all the remakes they've been pumping out. Final Fantasy Tactics was a very cumbersome translation when it first came out, and because of that the story didn't always make sense. When they rereleased on psp as war of the lions they redid the translation for the story, giving it much more character and cohesion.
____________________________

Retainer: Ferthmart
FFXI: Ferth - Cerbereus Nee Hades Nee Leviathan.
#30 Dec 08 2010 at 8:27 PM Rating: Excellent
***
2,120 posts
Similar to a lot of things in this game, I like these new classes based on potential and not as-is. Thinking about some of the hybrid stuff I could make(especially when stacking those affinity traits) is fun, but even if I get there now the content isn't there to fully experiment with it. I can see it being a lot more fun if/when more tweaks are made and content that uses some of that potential is available.

____________________________

#31 Dec 08 2010 at 8:40 PM Rating: Decent
***
3,530 posts
TwistedOwl wrote:
Similar to a lot of things in this game, I like these new classes based on potential and not as-is. Thinking about some of the hybrid stuff I could make(especially when stacking those affinity traits) is fun, but even if I get there now the content isn't there to fully experiment with it. I can see it being a lot more fun if/when more tweaks are made and content that uses some of that potential is available.



The problem with this, however, is that I could give you a huge collection of empty servers and they, too, would have a large amount of potential. XD

I understand what you mean, though; if you want to remain positive, there really is no better way to look at things right now.
____________________________
"... he called to himself a wizard, named Gallery, hoping by this means to escape the paying of the fifteen hundred crowns..." (Machen 15)

"Thus opium is pleasing... on account of the agreeable delirium it produces." (Burke para.6)

"I could only read so much for this paper and the syphilis poem had to go."
#32 Dec 08 2010 at 9:04 PM Rating: Good
**
696 posts
Calling THM a red mage isn't going to leave much room for that fancy Fencer class in the game files now is it. I bet Fencer even steals its hat.
#33 Dec 08 2010 at 9:09 PM Rating: Excellent
***
2,120 posts
KaneKitty wrote:
TwistedOwl wrote:
Similar to a lot of things in this game, I like these new classes based on potential and not as-is. Thinking about some of the hybrid stuff I could make(especially when stacking those affinity traits) is fun, but even if I get there now the content isn't there to fully experiment with it. I can see it being a lot more fun if/when more tweaks are made and content that uses some of that potential is available.



The problem with this, however, is that I could give you a huge collection of empty servers and they, too, would have a large amount of potential. XD

I understand what you mean, though; if you want to remain positive, there really is no better way to look at things right now.


Yea, I just think some of the arguments in threads we have goin' now(like this and the nearby one about being able to wear any gear at any time) are fun to discuss, but aren't a big deal. Change the names of the classes and add more restrictions to gear and you still have the same game. With both of those discussions, I personally like the freedom the systems in place offer. I think quality content and tweaking the core gameplay to how it should be is the solution for both. By that I mean content that allows people to showoff the cool hybrid they made because it was perfect for that tough boss battle or making battle regimens fun to use and important, etc. For the gear argument, making stats more important to where equipping the "wrong" gear really hurts your productiveness. Basically, it's not the class naming or lack of gear restrictions, but the fact that the game leaves you feeling like much of your decision-making is cosmetic & has a placebo effect rather than having any importance. That's my take on it anyway...

Edit
The recent update changes to SP have a big effect on both of those discussions as well. I have no incentive to perfect my stat build, deck myself out in top-shelf gear, or bother making a useful hybrid to go murder a bunch of coblyns...

Edited, Dec 8th 2010 10:20pm by TwistedOwl
____________________________

#34 Dec 08 2010 at 9:12 PM Rating: Excellent
**
800 posts
I don't see anything "American" about the names. In fact, they seem less "Americanized" than "white mage, warrior, ninja" etc. These names seem more exotic than traditional names.

However I agree that these classes do not fit traditional titles. A Gladiator is not a Warrior nor a Paladin nor a Knight. It is new, therefore it deserves a new name. Just like Conjurer; it uses curing spells AND elemental offensive spells. If anything conjurer is both black and white mage, but it isn't a typical red mage either in that it does not use blades in melee combat. Therefore it needs a new name. Conjurer is as good as any I guess.

These names feel less specific to us because they're new. When you think of it, monks are typically fat balding pacifists who wear robes and live in churches their whole lives. Why do we as final fantasy players view monks as muscled bound meat heads who kill stuff with their bare hands? In time we'll be familiar with the FFXIV names and won't think twice about them just like we don't think twice about "monk" even though it is almost the opposite of the real-life definition.

Edited, Dec 8th 2010 9:12pm by Hydragyrum
#35 Dec 08 2010 at 9:21 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
***
2,153 posts
Quote:
half of europe speak English too


WAT?! Did you ever take a look at a globe?
#36 Dec 08 2010 at 10:13 PM Rating: Excellent
***
1,636 posts
I don't think they changed the names of classes, because these aren't really based on FFXI classes. its more like you become a user of a weapon, and learn to do things with that weapon. At least that's how they visioned it i guess.
____________________________


#37 Dec 08 2010 at 10:24 PM Rating: Default
Scholar
***
3,226 posts
Wint wrote:
I was thinking they wanted to distinguish this game from XI and so gave the classes different names. Just a guess.

Why would they want to? Have you seen FFXI lately? It's the MMO to imitate.
____________________________
w(°o°)w
#38 Dec 08 2010 at 11:56 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
2,153 posts
Yes. I quit ages ago, but did you look at what they get for their December update?
Lokky-look: http://ffxi.allakhazam.com/story.html?story=24339
And we are happy about 3 new equipment sets.
Maybe what people say about SE "loving their firstborn most" is true after all.
Or maybe they gave up on their disfigured second until march?
#39 Dec 09 2010 at 12:30 AM Rating: Good
*
120 posts
F3rth wrote:
I always got the impression that they changed the names of classes so that we wouldn't think of them as definitive "jobs." They want us to construct our own ideal characters from across all the classes. Gladiators aren't paladins because they want us to be able to build our own job from abilities across the board.

If you want to be a paladin, level up conjuror and gladiator and mix the abilities accordingly.

If you want something more akin to ffxi's thief, level gladiator, lancer and pugilist.

If you want a darkknight ish type, marauder and thaumaturge.

Granted they have in no way achieved this flexibility yet... But I think that was what their goal was.


Your point is exactly right! They want people to mix and match with the skill to construct your own ideal characters (well said man). So if you think about it, there isn't any -sub job-
____________________________
Check out my awesome adventure at http://fantaji.com/-/5Bc . If you don't know about Fantaji then you're missing out!
#40 Dec 09 2010 at 1:15 AM Rating: Good
*
237 posts
I think they changed the names for the classes because in past FF being a paladin meant you are a meat shield, Being a white mage meant you were a healer.

Being a lancer doesn't necessarily mean I'm a DD. It depends on what abilities I have slotted determines my role.

By in large choosing a melee class over a caster class puts you more likely to be a DD, but maybe as a Lancer i'm 100% focused on mob enfeeblement over damage.
Maybe the other lancer in the PT is all out AOE attacks.
and the 3rd lancer is agro control.

____________________________
FFXIV has it's first official RMT'r: Zyuu
#41 Dec 09 2010 at 2:07 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
1,536 posts
I'm not really talking about the roles the classes take. I agree completely and love the fact that these "classes" are so flexible - in a sense, each class is simply a starting point and whether we name it a Pugilist or a Monk doesn't make a difference but I was just talking about choice of the names. I mean if we had never heard of a Dragoon before, and they named Lancer Dragoon, would it be "wrong" as some people are saying...it wouldn't, cuz we have nothing to base this off of. In the case of FFXI, Dragoon was very specialized in its attacks and the fact that it had a Wyvern; however, in FFIV, Dragoon was nothing more than a Lancer. I wish someone who has played the Japanese version of the game can confirm what the class names are in that version, Elmer?? help me out :P!
____________________________
MUTED
#42 Dec 09 2010 at 3:11 AM Rating: Excellent
Sage
**
393 posts
I am the minority here...I picked the second option. Even though I liked the class names from FF11 and other FF games, these new class names have started to grow on me I guess. :) Plus, they are way more original than the Japanese version of class names imo...In that sense, it is not so much as "Americanization" as "good localization."
____________________________
Smilies for premium users only? Bah, I'll just...oh wait.
へ へ
の の
 も
 へ

#43 Dec 09 2010 at 4:19 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
1,523 posts
The only renaming that is bothering me is using "ranks" instead of "levels". For me rank 1 means "you're the best" and rank 1000 means "you suck". I know you can rank in both "higher than" or "lower than", but intuitively to me it just feels wrong.
____________________________
____(>°°)D_->__(O°°)>-_<(;,,;)>_C-(°°Q)__O~~_t(°°<)_(;o0)___<(;,,;)>_<(;,,;)>_<(;,,;)>_<(;,,;)>_<(;,,;)>_____

#44 Dec 09 2010 at 7:00 AM Rating: Excellent
10 posts
I am fine with the new names since the classes have nothing in common with the XI ones but the weapon. Besides, in the french version, Conjurer is actually translated as Elementalist, which is pretty much accurate.
#45 Dec 09 2010 at 7:34 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
691 posts
Option 4.

I want my 5 seconds back! ^^

Seriously though, gladiators are closer to sword warriors, not paladins. Marauders are dark knights without the spells and cutting of their own hp pools.
Pugilists are..ummm..yeah, they're monks who can't use staves.
Archers are rangers who can only use bows.

You get the idea..they named them like this because they can only use one ( and some can use 2) weapon type. If they could use 2 handed swords, 1 handed swords, 1 handed maces, healing spells, holy spells, and shields, then they'd be paladins.
Since they can only use daggers/shortswords, they're gladiators.

Edited, Dec 9th 2010 7:35am by Uryuu
#46 Dec 09 2010 at 8:01 AM Rating: Decent
***
3,416 posts
Isn't Thaumaturge "Troubadour" in the German version? lolwut
____________________________
SE:
Quote:
We really want to compete against World of Warcraft and for example the new Star Wars MMO.

#47 Dec 09 2010 at 9:38 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
**
812 posts
Rinsui wrote:
Quote:
half of europe speak English too


WAT?! Did you ever take a look at a globe?

Have you ever been to Europe? It's definitely not obvious by looking at a globe, I'd venture to say that half is a conservative estimate, while it may not be their primary language in my experience over half of Europe can speak English.
____________________________
Abaddon Active Player Roster
- All your Fabul Sever are belong to us! -


#48 Dec 09 2010 at 10:07 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
2,153 posts
I believe in this context that poster meant to imply half of Europe has English
as its primary language; otherwise his statement would make little sense, since
there are German and French versions of the game as well.

Btw, yes. I spent several years of my youth in Germany.

And P.S.: I wonder what percentage of the population in Slovenia, Bulgaria,
Romania and western Turkey is able to communicate fluently in English (O.o)/?
Europe is bigger than you may know.

Edited, Dec 9th 2010 11:13am by Rinsui
#49 Dec 09 2010 at 11:35 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
**
812 posts
Rinsui wrote:
I believe in this context that poster meant to imply half of Europe has English
as its primary language; otherwise his statement would make little sense, since
there are German and French versions of the game as well.

Btw, yes. I spent several years of my youth in Germany.

And P.S.: I wonder what percentage of the population in Slovenia, Bulgaria,
Romania and western Turkey is able to communicate fluently in English (O.o)/?
Europe is bigger than you may know.

Edited, Dec 9th 2010 11:13am by Rinsui

Indeed, I spent 4 years in Germany, and traveled around Europe as much as my budget and free time (I was in the Army) would allow. I never had an issue finding English speaking people in any country I went to, especially younger people. I would agree however, that it's more difficult to do so in eastern europe.
____________________________
Abaddon Active Player Roster
- All your Fabul Sever are belong to us! -


#50 Dec 09 2010 at 11:38 AM Rating: Good
Jefro420 wrote:
I could care less. They could call a conjurer a flaming monkey humper, but as long as the spells still work, I'd play it.


Flaming Monkey Humpers is the name of my new band.
#51 Dec 09 2010 at 12:11 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
****
4,150 posts
The One and Only FinalFanXIV wrote:
Im STILL waiting for Sword-ChucksTM

Personally, I'm still holding out for Bacon Mage.
____________________________
FFXI-Garuda 2003-2009; Lakshmi 2011-8/20/13 (retired)
FFXIV: ARR - Ghost Bear, Balmung server
« Previous 1 2
This forum is read only
This Forum is Read Only!
Recent Visitors: 13 All times are in CST
Anonymous Guests (13)