Ok, here's my story. I played the beta, as many of us did, and thought "ok it's flawed, but it'll get better by the time it's released". And as we know, it wasn't... so I didn't bother playing.
However, SE's recent sweeping changes, and the temporary free to play setup have restored my faith in the game. And I saw that a big update had been done. So I decided to take another look.
Now, note that I play on minimum specs... and I'm running the same settings as I did before - here's what I've noticed.
- The game used to crash roughly every 20-30 minutes. 6 hours of being logged on, no issues.
- Lag spikes were ridiculous, to the point where the game was unplayable. Now, almost flawless.
- Graphic load on my processor is a LOT less than it used to be. I'm not sure if this was picked up on by you all or not?
- UI, as you guys are already aware of, is much improved. I can't believe how much difference this has made.
- Market Wards are better. Although I don't like the new naming system, it helps a little. This still needs a ton of work though. I've never ever bought anything from there.
Already I can see that, if handled and marketed correctly at PS3 release, this game can become MASSIVE.
I had my first FFXI-esque "OMG PANIC" moment today, running around trying to get to Camp Bluefog to complete a levequest. I read up on it and heard those Vultures are pretty mean... and it actually brought back memories of crawling round Promyvions, or the runs to Jeuno. It's the first time I've ever experienced it in XIV.
Crafting seems to be improved. I don't know how or why, but I had a blast doing it today.
All they need to add is a truck load of content, fix the wards, and I'll be one happy little Lalafell... amazing the difference a month can make, eh?