Forum Settings
       
This Forum is Read Only

I'm back... and here are my thoughts:Follow

#1 Dec 17 2010 at 5:32 PM Rating: Excellent
****
9,043 posts
Ok, here's my story. I played the beta, as many of us did, and thought "ok it's flawed, but it'll get better by the time it's released". And as we know, it wasn't... so I didn't bother playing.

However, SE's recent sweeping changes, and the temporary free to play setup have restored my faith in the game. And I saw that a big update had been done. So I decided to take another look.

Now, note that I play on minimum specs... and I'm running the same settings as I did before - here's what I've noticed.

- The game used to crash roughly every 20-30 minutes. 6 hours of being logged on, no issues.
- Lag spikes were ridiculous, to the point where the game was unplayable. Now, almost flawless.
- Graphic load on my processor is a LOT less than it used to be. I'm not sure if this was picked up on by you all or not?
- UI, as you guys are already aware of, is much improved. I can't believe how much difference this has made.
- Market Wards are better. Although I don't like the new naming system, it helps a little. This still needs a ton of work though. I've never ever bought anything from there.

Already I can see that, if handled and marketed correctly at PS3 release, this game can become MASSIVE.

I had my first FFXI-esque "OMG PANIC" moment today, running around trying to get to Camp Bluefog to complete a levequest. I read up on it and heard those Vultures are pretty mean... and it actually brought back memories of crawling round Promyvions, or the runs to Jeuno. It's the first time I've ever experienced it in XIV.

Crafting seems to be improved. I don't know how or why, but I had a blast doing it today.

All they need to add is a truck load of content, fix the wards, and I'll be one happy little Lalafell... amazing the difference a month can make, eh?
____________________________
Likibiki ~ 75 WHM ~ 75 SAM ~ 75 THF ~ 75 SMN ~ 74 NIN
Pandemonium Server, FFXI. Retired. Gone but not forgotten.
Cailey ~ 90 DNC ~ 90 RDM ~ 90 BLM
Asura Server, FFXI. Adventurer Extraordinaire.
#2 Dec 17 2010 at 5:45 PM Rating: Excellent
***
3,825 posts
I wish more people were this open minded, instead any time I say nice things about XIV on other sites I get bombed instantly by people who may not even have played since Beta....
____________________________
FFXI:Sylph - Perrin 75 Hume THF; Retired (At least from my use any way)
EVE Online:ScraperX; Retired
WAR:IronClaw- Peryn SW;SkullThrone- Grymloc BO; Retired


#3 Dec 17 2010 at 8:05 PM Rating: Excellent
35 posts
yeah they are making an effort to be compatible to more players that have normal PC speeds. the new config lets you set the graphics so low that it looks like 16bit donkey kong
____________________________


#4 Dec 17 2010 at 8:18 PM Rating: Excellent
***
3,530 posts
PerrinofSylph wrote:
I wish more people were this open minded, instead any time I say nice things about XIV on other sites I get bombed instantly by people who may not even have played since Beta....


Same here; unfortunately, they are many of the same people SE is hoping to entice back into playing, and upon whom much of the game's future revenue relies. I wonder how it will all work out...
____________________________
"... he called to himself a wizard, named Gallery, hoping by this means to escape the paying of the fifteen hundred crowns..." (Machen 15)

"Thus opium is pleasing... on account of the agreeable delirium it produces." (Burke para.6)

"I could only read so much for this paper and the syphilis poem had to go."
#5 Dec 17 2010 at 8:20 PM Rating: Default
Sage
**
447 posts
Welcome back, Lib. They did make a change in the modularity of some of the video configuration, but I'm not sure how substantial the effect those changes would have. Did you happen to update your graphics drivers since Launch? The NVidia 290.96 release has given me a good 5-10 fps extra and reduced my GPU temps.
____________________________
Djigga, please. Highland Hyurs can't jump.

#6 Dec 17 2010 at 8:36 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
1,536 posts
game is starting to look much better and even a little content makes it much more enjoyable - for me the Christmas special alone has kept me busy and i'm enjoying my time quite a bit now.
____________________________
MUTED
#7 Dec 17 2010 at 8:59 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
36 posts
Two patches down and a lot has been changed/fixed in those and most of it has been for the good.

Speaking of Camp Blue frog... I dont even know how to get there lol. I was looking at the map the other night and I couldnt see any where to get there.
#8 Dec 17 2010 at 11:02 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
626 posts
Quote:
game is starting to look much better and even a little content makes it much more enjoyable - for me the Christmas special alone has kept me busy and i'm enjoying my time quite a bit now.


the decorations are really cool, the snow however.... i dont need 5 inch white blobs to indicate that its snowing, i mean rain drops arent that big in game (yes i understand the distance aspect, but again rain isnt as bad).



Edited, Dec 18th 2010 12:03am by pixelpop
____________________________

#9 Dec 18 2010 at 12:31 AM Rating: Decent
3 posts
PerrinofSylph wrote:
I wish more people were this open minded, instead any time I say nice things about XIV on other sites I get bombed instantly by people who may not even have played since Beta....


^this.

In retrospect, the game has come a REALLY long way since I got invited to the beta for the August phase. Apparently before that the game was even more unstable. Looking at everything since I first installed the game, SE has taken care of alot of actual "broken" parts of the game's mechanics. Controlling stuff like moving and the camera were, if anyone can believe it, much worse than they are now. Although I'm still confused as to where the other 75% of the game's content is.

Seems to be a bit controversial to compare it to FFXI nowadays, but at least in XI there was a feeling of content being there and simply not released to the public as opposed to the complete lack thereof in XIV. The whole .DAT thing blew up in XI and suddenly everyone was able to look at the animations for Cure XXXIV and whatnot--I got alot of promise and excitement in XI from knowing alot of that would be released eventually. I'm not sure if its the lack of a .DAT viewer in XIV but I don't even feel like there's content that exists which we haven't even seen yet. There would be Chocobo access by now if they actually had the mechanics built for it, right? (I don't see why they'd hold that kind of stuff back)

Definitely refreshing to see the optimistic side every now and then, though.
____________________________
XI: Onima -- Lakshmi Server
75mnk/70bst/60sam/37+others
XIV: Santa Cruz -- Selbina Server
20~archer
#10 Dec 18 2010 at 12:41 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
***
1,536 posts
Quote:
There would be Chocobo access by now if they actually had the mechanics built for it, right? (I don't see why they'd hold that kind of stuff back)


Naah mechanics are most likely in place now and most likely already tested, same with airships but i'm gonna assume these come with their territory and that being Companies and Ishgard - I'm gonna assume first update next year gives us those things (and i'm gonna cross my fingers and hope I'm wrong and that its the end of December update).
____________________________
MUTED
#11 Dec 18 2010 at 1:38 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
****
9,997 posts
Please keep us posted and let us know how you feel after you try to level in to the 30's and up (if you get that far).

Personally the game is still too much of a grind for me. Combat needs a lot of fixes and progression probably needs to speed way up.
____________________________
Hyrist wrote:
Ok, now we're going to get slash fiction of Wint x Kachi somehere... rule 34 and all...

Never confuse your inference as the listener for an implication of the speaker.

Good games are subjective like good food is subjective. You're not going to seriously tell me that there's not a psychological basis for why pizza is great and lutefisk is revolting. The thing about subjectivity is that, as subjects go, humans actually have a great deal in common.
#12 Dec 18 2010 at 1:58 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
**
386 posts
Quote:
Seems to be a bit controversial to compare it to FFXI nowadays, but at least in XI there was a feeling of content being there and simply not released to the public as opposed to the complete lack thereof in XIV.


Not to start anything, but I felt to need to rehash what has been said in billions of other threads. Please keep in mind that FFXI was released in the United States a year or so after the true release with an expansion included. There are very few if any people on these boards who actually know what FFXI was like at the original release of the game to make a fair comparison of FFXI release versus FFXIV release.

However, I am also very glad to see such a quick turnaround in FFXIV with only two updates. I'm very much looking forward to what the future has to offer.
#13 Dec 18 2010 at 2:51 AM Rating: Decent
*
81 posts
Welcome Back! Although I never left I have to agree since the December patch the game feels truly different than it was on release and everything is so intuitive and user friendly. Now the only thing missing is content exploring the lore in forms of quests, dungeons etc. Besides the main storyline and profession side quests there isn't a lot to explore other than some fantastic scenery! I have my fingers crossed for a surprise in 2nd December update but not hoping for too much...
____________________________


#14 Dec 18 2010 at 9:56 AM Rating: Decent
8 posts
Liki!!!


You better come back!!!! Look me up!
#15 Dec 18 2010 at 11:40 AM Rating: Good
*
82 posts
First of all, glad to hear you are back into the game! :D

Likibiki wrote:

- The game used to crash roughly every 20-30 minutes. 6 hours of being logged on, no issues.
- Lag spikes were ridiculous, to the point where the game was unplayable. Now, almost flawless.
- Graphic load on my processor is a LOT less than it used to be. I'm not sure if this was picked up on by you all or not?


The game has become a lot more processor and GPU friendly here of late, especially to the lower end graphics cards without losing the beauty it had beforehand. I used to have headaches(literally) playing the game at launch due to the way my monitor and GPU handled the graphics. Now though, I'm as happy as a bug in a rug without a single headache.

Likibiki wrote:

- UI, as you guys are already aware of, is much improved. I can't believe how much difference this has made.
- Market Wards are better. Although I don't like the new naming system, it helps a little. This still needs a ton of work though. I've never ever bought anything from there.


Indeed, the UI has been drastically improved, as well as interactions at shops and retainers. As for the Market Ward, you can see that the newer markets are beginning to fill with the correct type of materials, and a few of the older ones are starting to lose more and more "Joe's junk shop" type retainers. I suspect that soon you'll have maybe 2-3 junk shops in each ward instead of 50% of the ward being composed of junk shops.

Hopefully the next December patch will help to alleviate some of the remaining problems. In the meantime, welcome back! Hope you enjoy it!
____________________________
Currently seeking active Melmond LS, even if it's just for conversation during game play.



Mikhalia the Picky wrote:

Rate sideways. It's the solution to everything.
#16 Dec 18 2010 at 12:16 PM Rating: Good
****
9,043 posts
Lavados wrote:
Liki!!!


You better come back!!!! Look me up!


Befriended! Thanks for the tell... you didn't reply though :(

Currently working on Weaver to get high enough to do me a dream hat... but wow, even basic materials are expensive, never mind Dormouse Fur.
____________________________
Likibiki ~ 75 WHM ~ 75 SAM ~ 75 THF ~ 75 SMN ~ 74 NIN
Pandemonium Server, FFXI. Retired. Gone but not forgotten.
Cailey ~ 90 DNC ~ 90 RDM ~ 90 BLM
Asura Server, FFXI. Adventurer Extraordinaire.
#17 Dec 18 2010 at 12:29 PM Rating: Default
***
2,120 posts
PerrinofSylph wrote:
I wish more people were this open minded, instead any time I say nice things about XIV on other sites I get bombed instantly by people who may not even have played since Beta....


Meanwhile on this site, useless posts & threads get rated up to good/excellent just for being positive. Which is also stupid, just the opposite flavor of stupid...

Edited, Dec 18th 2010 1:29pm by TwistedOwl
____________________________

#18 Dec 18 2010 at 2:09 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
472 posts
Ok so my progression through mmos goes something like this FFXI > WoW > FFXIV > and now back to WoW and have to admit it is refreshing to play a game that actually has cool mobs, color, and good quest progression. Granted they fixed some things in XIV but honestly it is a boring world compared to XI and WoW. There is no hook in XIV regardless of any improvements on game play. I sign in and try and play but I end up doing some leves I have already done sign out and go play WoW.
____________________________
Foo Mania/Istory
FooFighter/Quetzalcoatl retired
#19 Dec 18 2010 at 5:34 PM Rating: Excellent
****
9,043 posts
TwistedOwl wrote:
PerrinofSylph wrote:
I wish more people were this open minded, instead any time I say nice things about XIV on other sites I get bombed instantly by people who may not even have played since Beta....


Meanwhile on this site, useless posts & threads get rated up to good/excellent just for being positive. Which is also stupid, just the opposite flavor of stupid...

Edited, Dec 18th 2010 1:29pm by TwistedOwl


Posting a thread about my thoughts on how the game has changed in the past 2 months since I quit, when we're at a time where quite a few other people will be considering the same thing, is stupid?

Please, explain how me giving my review on how the game plays now, for those people who are thinking about coming back, is stupid. Because I posted it to let other people have an idea of what to expect.

I don't know... you just can't make some people happy.
____________________________
Likibiki ~ 75 WHM ~ 75 SAM ~ 75 THF ~ 75 SMN ~ 74 NIN
Pandemonium Server, FFXI. Retired. Gone but not forgotten.
Cailey ~ 90 DNC ~ 90 RDM ~ 90 BLM
Asura Server, FFXI. Adventurer Extraordinaire.
#20 Dec 18 2010 at 8:16 PM Rating: Decent
*
97 posts
Hi Liki, im glad you are also impressed with what SE has done so far with the game through the updates. More of these posts [yes, please!]

Im watching from the great beyond and am eager to get my hands on this game. Started FFXI when it came out on the 360 and had a blast till last June. The only thing that could keep me away from the game is either a busy RL or too little content. Tho I probably have to purchase a PS3 to play this game. So far it looks good, my hopes are up. Really like the feeling around the forum nowadays, more about content than being discontent. Keep it up guys!
____________________________
FFXI - Ragnar - Whm75 - Kujata - Retired 2007
FFXI - Monarc - Smn76/Drg76/Whm75 - Kujata - Retired 2010

FFXI currently installing again?!? - July 2012
#21 Dec 18 2010 at 9:39 PM Rating: Good
***
3,530 posts
Likibiki wrote:
Currently working on Weaver to get high enough to do me a dream hat... but wow, even basic materials are expensive, never mind Dormouse Fur.


You think that's bad, you should see Dormouse Fursuits! >_<
____________________________
"... he called to himself a wizard, named Gallery, hoping by this means to escape the paying of the fifteen hundred crowns..." (Machen 15)

"Thus opium is pleasing... on account of the agreeable delirium it produces." (Burke para.6)

"I could only read so much for this paper and the syphilis poem had to go."
#22 Dec 18 2010 at 10:08 PM Rating: Good
****
9,526 posts
Nice thread! It is good to see someone coming in with a fresh eye and appreciating the changes.

Myself I love the update - but it was a big kiss for alchemists and fishers.
____________________________
lolgaxe wrote:
When it comes to sitting around not doing anything for long periods of time, only being active for short windows, and marginal changes and sidegrades I'd say FFXI players were the perfect choice for politicians.


#23 Dec 18 2010 at 10:09 PM Rating: Good
****
9,526 posts
on the outfit I suggest seeing if the presents can get you the suit rather than weaving it up.
____________________________
lolgaxe wrote:
When it comes to sitting around not doing anything for long periods of time, only being active for short windows, and marginal changes and sidegrades I'd say FFXI players were the perfect choice for politicians.


#24 Dec 18 2010 at 10:39 PM Rating: Excellent
Scholar
43 posts
I agree whole heartedly this game is not even close to the same as it was at release. A few more tweaks to party grinding sp the market ward searches and more content and its a real winner. So glad I stuck with it.
Thanks for your time,
Big Jer
____________________________


#25 Dec 19 2010 at 1:40 AM Rating: Decent
***
2,120 posts
Likibiki wrote:
TwistedOwl wrote:
PerrinofSylph wrote:
I wish more people were this open minded, instead any time I say nice things about XIV on other sites I get bombed instantly by people who may not even have played since Beta....


Meanwhile on this site, useless posts & threads get rated up to good/excellent just for being positive. Which is also stupid, just the opposite flavor of stupid...

Edited, Dec 18th 2010 1:29pm by TwistedOwl


Posting a thread about my thoughts on how the game has changed in the past 2 months since I quit, when we're at a time where quite a few other people will be considering the same thing, is stupid?

Please, explain how me giving my review on how the game plays now, for those people who are thinking about coming back, is stupid. Because I posted it to let other people have an idea of what to expect.

I don't know... you just can't make some people happy.


The stupidity is in the bias. If it were the opposite, "I'm leaving...and here are my thoughts:", it would be sub-default. Lots of posts would say things like "This isn't your personal blog! No one cares about your personal feelings on the game! Just leave already!" Even though it's essentially the same exact thing, but negative instead of positive. Yet here you're applauded instead of being met with "Who gives a ****, go play the game then!" This isn't your personal blog!" That's all I was commenting on. The stupidity involved in all that.

I'm glad you think the game is now playable though, contrary to your sig. I was having doubts about where the game is headed, but now that the great Likibiki has given his stamp of approval, I may have to reconsiderSmiley: lol...
____________________________

#26 Dec 19 2010 at 1:58 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
1,536 posts
TwistedOwl wrote:
Likibiki wrote:
TwistedOwl wrote:
PerrinofSylph wrote:
I wish more people were this open minded, instead any time I say nice things about XIV on other sites I get bombed instantly by people who may not even have played since Beta....


Meanwhile on this site, useless posts & threads get rated up to good/excellent just for being positive. Which is also stupid, just the opposite flavor of stupid...

Edited, Dec 18th 2010 1:29pm by TwistedOwl


Posting a thread about my thoughts on how the game has changed in the past 2 months since I quit, when we're at a time where quite a few other people will be considering the same thing, is stupid?

Please, explain how me giving my review on how the game plays now, for those people who are thinking about coming back, is stupid. Because I posted it to let other people have an idea of what to expect.

I don't know... you just can't make some people happy.


The stupidity is in the bias. If it were the opposite, "I'm leaving...and here are my thoughts:", it would be sub-default. Lots of posts would say things like "This isn't your personal blog! No one cares about your personal feelings on the game! Just leave already!" Even though it's essentially the same exact thing, but negative instead of positive. Yet here you're applauded instead of being met with "Who gives a sh*t, go play the game then!" This isn't your personal blog!" That's all I was commenting on. The stupidity involved in all that.

I'm glad you think the game is now playable though, contrary to your sig. I was having doubts about where the game is headed, but now that the great Likibiki has given his stamp of approval, I may have to reconsiderSmiley: lol...


...and then there's people like you who wanna start something out of nothing. So who the @#%^ cares if people are happy about his opinion? does it really affect you that much? who cares that people are biased, of course they are, everyone is...the same can be said when FFXIV was first released and this board was full of negative nancies, at that time when someone boasted about the game he/she got karma nerfed and a new **** hole....so wow! bravo! great observation! here's a cookie Smiley: cookie...now chill.

Edited, Dec 19th 2010 2:58am by SolidMack
____________________________
MUTED
#27 Dec 19 2010 at 2:02 AM Rating: Default
***
2,120 posts
SolidMack wrote:
TwistedOwl wrote:
Likibiki wrote:
TwistedOwl wrote:
PerrinofSylph wrote:
I wish more people were this open minded, instead any time I say nice things about XIV on other sites I get bombed instantly by people who may not even have played since Beta....


Meanwhile on this site, useless posts & threads get rated up to good/excellent just for being positive. Which is also stupid, just the opposite flavor of stupid...

Edited, Dec 18th 2010 1:29pm by TwistedOwl


Posting a thread about my thoughts on how the game has changed in the past 2 months since I quit, when we're at a time where quite a few other people will be considering the same thing, is stupid?

Please, explain how me giving my review on how the game plays now, for those people who are thinking about coming back, is stupid. Because I posted it to let other people have an idea of what to expect.

I don't know... you just can't make some people happy.


The stupidity is in the bias. If it were the opposite, "I'm leaving...and here are my thoughts:", it would be sub-default. Lots of posts would say things like "This isn't your personal blog! No one cares about your personal feelings on the game! Just leave already!" Even though it's essentially the same exact thing, but negative instead of positive. Yet here you're applauded instead of being met with "Who gives a sh*t, go play the game then!" This isn't your personal blog!" That's all I was commenting on. The stupidity involved in all that.

I'm glad you think the game is now playable though, contrary to your sig. I was having doubts about where the game is headed, but now that the great Likibiki has given his stamp of approval, I may have to reconsiderSmiley: lol...


...and then there's people like you who wanna start something out of nothing. So who the @#%^ cares if people are happy about his opinion? does it really affect you that much? who cares that people are biased, of course they are, everyone is...the same can be said when FFXIV was first released and this board was full of negative nancies, at that time when someone boasted about the game he/she got karma nerfed and a new **** hole....so wow! bravo! great observation! here's a cookie Smiley: cookie...now chill.

Edited, Dec 19th 2010 2:58am by SolidMack


He asked me to explain so I did. I'm perfectly chill, are you? Anyway, thanks for the cookie, better not have any **** raisins hidden in there...
____________________________

#28 Dec 19 2010 at 2:17 AM Rating: Default
Scholar
***
1,536 posts
Typical response...I was however talking about you making a big deal out of nothing, I'm sure you have better things to do.
____________________________
MUTED
#29 Dec 19 2010 at 2:44 AM Rating: Default
***
2,120 posts
SolidMack wrote:
Typical response...I was however talking about you making a big deal out of nothing, I'm sure you have better things to do.


I didn't make a big deal out of it though, you did. I simply made an observation of the bias and mentioned how it works both ways. Then I was asked to explain myself, so I did. I'm sure you have better things to do than bother with that...

Edited, Dec 19th 2010 3:45am by TwistedOwl
____________________________

#30 Dec 19 2010 at 5:38 PM Rating: Decent
****
9,043 posts
I'm not really sure how - or why - this thread deteriorated into an argument.

Oh... wait... it's =10. But V2.0.

Flame on, children. Flame on...
____________________________
Likibiki ~ 75 WHM ~ 75 SAM ~ 75 THF ~ 75 SMN ~ 74 NIN
Pandemonium Server, FFXI. Retired. Gone but not forgotten.
Cailey ~ 90 DNC ~ 90 RDM ~ 90 BLM
Asura Server, FFXI. Adventurer Extraordinaire.
This forum is read only
This Forum is Read Only!
Recent Visitors: 18 All times are in CST
Anonymous Guests (18)