Forum Settings
       
« Previous 1 2
This Forum is Read Only

Opinions about free PvP..Follow

#1 Dec 18 2010 at 11:32 AM Rating: Decent
*
175 posts
Nowadays a vast choice of MMORPGs have free PvP..
Now.. if it were added to FFXIV(Although unlikely..), what would be your opinion about it..?

Personally.. I'd be okay with it.. as long as there would be some kind of limitation to the level range of attacker and attacked I guess..

Edited, Dec 18th 2010 12:33pm by KaineGestalt
____________________________
| I still believe in FFXIV...
My name is pronounced "kai-neh" actually.. and yes, it is feminine..
#2 Dec 18 2010 at 11:39 AM Rating: Excellent
*
182 posts
I dont like it. Actually this is one of the reasons why i play FFXIV as i played FFXI. PvP events like Ballista are fine but open pvp... if i want it i go play wow.
#3 Dec 18 2010 at 11:45 AM Rating: Excellent
*
82 posts
I have to say I'm strongly against it. From my time playing WoW, one of the most frustrating things ever was to get killed by a much higher leveled player's AOE attack. Even then, the amount of on level ninja-kills, zerging kills, and all-out bum-rushing was just brutal. It really ruined my motivation to level for the day whenever that happened. If that were to come to FFXIV, I couldn't imagine how bad it would be.

Personally, I'd prefer FFXIV to stay PvE, and have closed PvP only, like arena matches.
____________________________
Currently seeking active Melmond LS, even if it's just for conversation during game play.



Mikhalia the Picky wrote:

Rate sideways. It's the solution to everything.
#4 Dec 18 2010 at 11:49 AM Rating: Excellent
***
3,825 posts
XI's PvP options were about as close as a game like XIV should ever get to PvP. If you want PvP there are plenty of games to do that in. I get my PvP fix in FPS and other games, I enjoy the sense of community that non-PvP games can bring and thus why I stick to mostly PvE MMOs (EVE and WAR were two that I really enjoyed participating in PVP, but I don't play them anymore)
____________________________
FFXI:Sylph - Perrin 75 Hume THF; Retired (At least from my use any way)
EVE Online:ScraperX; Retired
WAR:IronClaw- Peryn SW;SkullThrone- Grymloc BO; Retired


#5 Dec 18 2010 at 11:49 AM Rating: Good
Avatar
****
4,150 posts
I'm not at all interested in PvP either. If you need an ego boost by beating a total stranger at a video game, that's your problem, not mine.
____________________________
FFXI-Garuda 2003-2009; Lakshmi 2011-8/20/13 (retired)
FFXIV: ARR - Ghost Bear, Balmung server
#6 Dec 18 2010 at 11:50 AM Rating: Excellent
Scholar
*
209 posts
I don't like anything about PvP, but I'm an older gamer who doesn't want that stress in his life anymore. It's boring, it's hard to balance, the basic concepts haven't changed in years. This is opinion. There are people who LOVE PvP and I don't want to **** in their cereal... but must EVERY game contain PvP? Would it be ok for this game not to have it? Just this one? <3 <3 <3

Then again... maybe it would be the most awesome thing for FFXIV. Maybe they can come up with a new, fresh way to make it interesting for everyone. Maybe something more than: I start here. You start there. I see you! I stab you. You die. But not really. You stab me. I die. But not really... x1000000000000 and none of it has any effect or bearing or importance over anything except a K/D score.

It just seems like too many maybes in a series that doesn't do PvP. Ballista was cute, but I never played it. I know some people who really enjoyed it, however. Maybe that's the answer... PvP in the disguise of a 'sport'. How about Blitzball instead of PvP for a start... except you can kill people with the ball? JECHT SHOT!!! Catrim does 50 damage to NoobBaller. NoobBaller dies. Catrim gets 2 AP and a Phoenix Down from the corpse of NoobBaller.

<3 <3 <3
____________________________
Catrim Boudain - Selbina, Gridania

"He who looks for the ridiculous in everything shall find it"
#7 Dec 18 2010 at 12:07 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
*
67 posts
The second they implement open pvp I'm gone. Simple as.
#8 Dec 18 2010 at 12:16 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
283 posts
The only people who really want free PVP are people who like to enforce there way of playing a game on others. If you are a true fan of PVP you have no problem going to zone where open pvp is granted. WoW has such a system and it works fine. The only people who cry about it are people who think they should be aloud to mess with other players good time. If I don't want to be a part of PVP I should not need to be.

Why do I feel I can say this? I am one of them jerks. I loved games like Diablo 1 where I could go PK anywhere an mess with people. I play War hammer online so I can kill anyone I want. Its not the Idea that Ill get attacked that gets my heart pumping. Its the idea of attacking others. Its the Idea that the shmuk I just wacked is going off at his computer becuse I just killed him for the 34th time. And knowing as many PVP players as I do. this is true for all of them. You hear them talking smack like. "LOL I just ganked that NOON! I bet he is crying LOL" or "HAHA I am camping this NOOB! He is now sending me tells to stop! I think ill keep going until he logs off!" And a good time is had by us all!

But the fact is that some people don't like PVP. they want to play the content the game offers and not bee botherd by jerks like my self. I respect that in games like this. In fact I like games like this becuse it gives me a brake from such things. I still go back to my PVP games and have a blast ******* off the other guy. Or geting my self ganked into a rage. But I like to sit back and have fun beating on good old computer controld mobs too!
#9 Dec 18 2010 at 12:31 PM Rating: Good
*
93 posts
Yeah, I'm gonna have to go with the "If they implement open PvP, I'm gone" as well. FF MMOs have always centered on teamwork (Ironic, given the current situation with SP) rather than a free-for-all mentality.

This isn't to say that there aren't times that I'd love nothing more than to nuke the $#%^ out of someone who's talking smack. But I wanted that in XI on occasion as well. Then I calm down and come to my senses.

Although, I wouldn't mind seeing a bit more in the way of PvP options as well. LS against LS (Company against Company?) in controlled, mutually agreed-upon settings....but open, and world wide?

Just imagine what that would do to all the DoL jobs.
____________________________
lolgaxe wrote:
Dread Lörd Kaolian wrote:
As a forum admin, you... see things. Things that you can never unseen.

I can only apologize so many times for that.
#10 Dec 18 2010 at 12:34 PM Rating: Decent
*
175 posts
Wow.. my topic scored down because I asked people's opinions..!? Well whatever really...
I see not many here appreciate PvP for various reasons.. however I don't "need it to boost my egoy killing some stranger's avatar over the internet", I just like direct competition with the others.. I like to contend with others(and I dislike WoW to trascendental extents so don't even tell me to go play WoW.. u.u now I expect a score down for just hating WoW...), PvE over and over gets boring after a while, to me at least.. and I was thinking how FFXIV would be with some PvP in it..
Ballista would be fine.. and I bet they already have in mind to implement it in future..
____________________________
| I still believe in FFXIV...
My name is pronounced "kai-neh" actually.. and yes, it is feminine..
#11 Dec 18 2010 at 12:35 PM Rating: Excellent
Sage
**
447 posts
Honest question: What is meant by "open PVP"? Is it like neutral zones in WoW where it's a faction based free for all?

Personally, I wouldn't mind the ability to be able to duel someone, or to flag myself as "open for a fight" to collect a bounty or something.

But if open means "walk up to anyone and gank them", then yeah, I would not want to see that in this game.
____________________________
Djigga, please. Highland Hyurs can't jump.

#12 Dec 18 2010 at 12:39 PM Rating: Decent
*
175 posts
volta1 wrote:

Personally, I wouldn't mind the ability to be able to duel someone, or to flag myself as "open for a fight" to collect a bounty or something.

I meant about this..
____________________________
| I still believe in FFXIV...
My name is pronounced "kai-neh" actually.. and yes, it is feminine..
#13 Dec 18 2010 at 12:42 PM Rating: Good
****
6,898 posts
your topic is sitting at decent, and I rated it up because it at least gets some dialogue going. I whole-heartedly agree about no open PvP in ffxiv. As has been said, if I wanted open PvP I'd go play WoW again. I liked the idea of PvP in PvP zones a la Ballista or any of the number of "games" in WoW centered around it. But I don't like the idea of just walking around and getting massacred by a high level player. That just doesn't sound like fun at all to me, and its why I've tried to stear clear of those MMO's as much as possible.
____________________________
Bartel Hayward--- Ultros Server
The Kraken Club <ZAM>
50 WAR • 50 MNK • 50 MIN • 50 GSM • 50 ARM • 50 LTW • 50 CUL • 50 WVR
thekrakenclub.shivtr.com
#14 Dec 18 2010 at 12:42 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
**
691 posts
Honestly, it is never a good idea to have open pvp in a game designed to be mainly pve. It leads to tons of headaches for the dev team and customer service, as well as the player base.
In addition to that, it brings a certain type of player..the griever. Yeah, that guy who kills you over and over and over at the respawn point just to make his sad, pathetic existence feel validated. I, for one, can do without that sort of player.
#15 Dec 18 2010 at 12:54 PM Rating: Decent
***
3,825 posts
KaineGestalt wrote:
Wow.. my topic scored down because I asked people's opinions..!?


More than likely because you can't count on your fingers how many times this topic has been brought up... At least this discussion isn't as assinine as some of the ones in the past though.
____________________________
FFXI:Sylph - Perrin 75 Hume THF; Retired (At least from my use any way)
EVE Online:ScraperX; Retired
WAR:IronClaw- Peryn SW;SkullThrone- Grymloc BO; Retired


#16 Dec 18 2010 at 12:57 PM Rating: Decent
*
95 posts
Another rate up to Good ^^

Well... I am against Open PvP, but they should provide options for closed PvP - ummm battleground type of fights / capture the flag, last man standing etc ? The moment you're done with the story/event/boss fights, there's always human intelligence you can challenge, which in my opinion keeps people (who are interested) occupied... Fighting against scripted bosses is never the same with live opponents who will have ever changing strategies, which keeps things fresh.

The thing I hate most is when I'm minding my own business and trying to fish/quest/gather, I get killed by someone who has a major obsession with 'pwning' and belittle others.

#17 Dec 18 2010 at 1:19 PM Rating: Default
***
2,202 posts
I think PVP in some restricted area's would be good for this game, it add's flavor, something that this game is lacking...

As for developers having a hard time... why ? everybody has the same damm toon anyways, there is nothing that "Pepe" has that "Pepito" cant get anyways...
____________________________
MUTED
#18 Dec 18 2010 at 1:32 PM Rating: Good
***
1,636 posts
PvP is best left to games that have warring factions.
____________________________


#19 Dec 18 2010 at 2:50 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
*
67 posts
If there was free PvP in FFXIV I would most likely cancel my account that day. As others have said, if I had any interest in PvP i would play one of the myriad of MMOs that has it implemented already.
____________________________
Slaxx Pandemonium zTwistedBrotherz
DRG 95 WAR 95
#20SterlingHighwind, Posted: Dec 18 2010 at 2:58 PM, Rating: Sub-Default, (Expand Post) i want it and 5 of my friends want it in real life.
#21 Dec 18 2010 at 3:28 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
1,536 posts
I personally don't want it but if they were to implement it i bet it'd give the population a huge boost. I wonder if they'd even consider it though, it'd be such a slap in the face for the market they already have.
____________________________
MUTED
#22 Dec 18 2010 at 3:30 PM Rating: Decent
*
175 posts
SterlingHighwind wrote:

having the option to target someone, then ask to battle, and a flag or something goes up, and the battle starts if both players click yes is fine...

explain to me how that would mess up anyones play time.. & it would give many players something they want.

everyone plays these games to be the best they can be, instead of proving to on the battlefield with monsters, are you too afraid to prove it to someone on the other side of the screen?

My thoughts exactly...
____________________________
| I still believe in FFXIV...
My name is pronounced "kai-neh" actually.. and yes, it is feminine..
#23 Dec 18 2010 at 4:17 PM Rating: Good
Sage
**
447 posts
Wintersage wrote:

Just imagine what that would do to all the DoL jobs.


What, you mean this isn't in the first '11 patch? I was looking forward to Twinking my R9 botanist! I've got a stockpile of smoothed stones and a Vintage Hauby +3. I'd hold the throne atop DoL PvP ladder for sure.
____________________________
Djigga, please. Highland Hyurs can't jump.

#24 Dec 18 2010 at 5:21 PM Rating: Excellent
I seriously don't really see open PvP being ever added or remotely supported in FFXIV. I for one hate PvP and might even stop going to some areas or just quit if there WAS open PvP... That's one of the reasons I didn't like WoW really. But I feel it wouldn't fit into the game's storyline either. To my knowledge unlike FFXI's story, FFXIV's doesn't have the 3 nations at each other's throats behind the scenes. There are issues between one another, but really as far as it goes. The big fight is against the Garlean armies, not the other nations. A PvP-themed style might be added on later, but I would still see it being added in as a sort of training game like they did with Ballista in FFXI.

By the way, not to try insulting people here, but why does everyone always seem to think a game needs to have PvP to be good? I've noticed this trend well before this topic (Not saying that's what the OP was trying to say here.) where if question is asked what would make the game better someone always pops up with "they need to add in PvP" as a response. People would even reply that to save the game PvP would be needed amongst the other suggestions. With so many games out there that offer a player-vs-player environment, what is it about PvP that makes it an absolute requirements within all games for them to be good?

Edited, Dec 18th 2010 3:21pm by SamusKnight

Edited, Dec 18th 2010 3:22pm by SamusKnight
____________________________
FINAL FANTASY XIV Roleplayer

Sair Gammonari - Hyur Midlander Male - Conjurer (Somewhat retired.)
Mihana Zhralyia - Miqo'te Seeker of the Sun Female - Archer



#25 Dec 18 2010 at 5:27 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
**
703 posts
SterlingHighwind wrote:
i want it and 5 of my friends want it in real life.
people who dont, cry too much, and must be babies.


xi's ballisa was boring and took too long to start.

having the option to target someone, then ask to battle, and a flag or something goes up, and the battle starts if both players click yes is fine...

explain to me how that would mess up anyones play time.. & it would give many players something they want.

everyone plays these games to be the best they can be, instead of proving to on the battlefield with monsters, are you too afraid to prove it to someone on the other side of the screen?

Edited, Dec 18th 2010 3:59pm by SterlingHighwind


Except for the bolded part, I agree that that would be a nice option... in other games. Final Fantasy has always been about cooperation and there has only ever been one direct conflict of party members (hint: It's the second part of your name). Actually, if you want to consider XIII with Hope, I guess you could say that there are two... but both involved attempting to kill, not prove one's mettle.
#26 Dec 18 2010 at 5:31 PM Rating: Excellent
SterlingHighwind wrote:
i want it and 5 of my friends want it in real life.
people who dont, cry too much, and must be babies.

xi's ballisa was boring and took too long to start.

having the option to target someone, then ask to battle, and a flag or something goes up, and the battle starts if both players click yes is fine...

explain to me how that would mess up anyones play time.. & it would give many players something they want.

everyone plays these games to be the best they can be, instead of proving to on the battlefield with monsters, are you too afraid to prove it to someone on the other side of the screen?

Edited, Dec 18th 2010 3:59pm by SterlingHighwind


There. Congratulations, you showed exactly why that idea is bad. It promotes this immature **** waving attitude. I don't want to have to waste time turning away people and then their trolling because I want to fight monsters, not measure epeens. If you want a **** PvP game, play one, not try and shove it in to a PvE game.
#27 Dec 18 2010 at 5:36 PM Rating: Excellent
**
327 posts
I think we should at least be allowed to gank anyone with a last name of lockeheart , lionheart, strife etc. But on a serious note ,I don't see a problem with duels or an arena type event that others could watch and maybe bet some gil on would be sweet. As for open world PVP ,thanks for the offer but I'll have to pass.

Edited, Dec 18th 2010 6:38pm by marsupialboy
____________________________



#28 Dec 18 2010 at 5:48 PM Rating: Good
*
55 posts
as with most others i would not want to see open PvP. having ballista or other types of Pvp that require going into another zone are good though i think. i makes for a platform to test out spells and atatcks since you can see the exact stats of who you are attacking instead of guesing what def a mob might have. that is the only reaosn i think it could be good for ffxiv is for testing both attacks and def type stuff.
#29 Dec 18 2010 at 5:56 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
***
1,948 posts
Open PvP? No thanks. I chose FFXIV to be my PvE and waiting for WH40K DMO to be my PvP.
____________________________




#30 Dec 18 2010 at 6:19 PM Rating: Decent
***
2,202 posts
Haherobblerobble wrote:
SterlingHighwind wrote:
i want it and 5 of my friends want it in real life.
people who dont, cry too much, and must be babies.

xi's ballisa was boring and took too long to start.

having the option to target someone, then ask to battle, and a flag or something goes up, and the battle starts if both players click yes is fine...

explain to me how that would mess up anyones play time.. & it would give many players something they want.

everyone plays these games to be the best they can be, instead of proving to on the battlefield with monsters, are you too afraid to prove it to someone on the other side of the screen?

Edited, Dec 18th 2010 3:59pm by SterlingHighwind


There. Congratulations, you showed exactly why that idea is bad. It promotes this immature **** waving attitude. I don't want to have to waste time turning away people and then their trolling because I want to fight monsters, not measure epeens. If you want a **** PvP game, play one, not try and shove it in to a PvE game.


Because there is no **** waving in PVE ? Geez where have you been all this time ?
____________________________
MUTED
#31 Dec 18 2010 at 6:20 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
513 posts
Do I love PVP? Absolutely! Do I want it in FFXIV? No, because the game isn't suitable for it.

Sethern79 is the classic jerk who gets some perverse satisfaction from making other people miserable and has no place in society. There were few things I liked more about vanilla WoW than seeking people to kill in the open world, but I never did it with the intent of making them angry nor did I look for effortless prey. With some luck you could dismantle entire 40-man raids with very small numbers and killing raiders on their way to instances in Blackrock Mountain was among my favourite ways to spend time in WoW. There were always those who whined and cried but they were losers with no pride, incapable of standing up for themselves.

Edited, Dec 18th 2010 7:55pm by Omena
____________________________
#32 Dec 18 2010 at 6:46 PM Rating: Excellent
Scholar
*
67 posts
Imagine trying to do some fishing and you get ganked. You need to change all your gear to your combat class so you can fight back.... not my idea of fun at all.
#33 Dec 18 2010 at 7:54 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
**
691 posts
To be honest, the idea of PvP in a mmorpg brings to mind a familiar saying.

"One's right to freedom of speech, action, and property end when they begin infringing upon another's rights thereof."

Or something like that.
It means that your right to enjoy life ends when it begins directly infringing upon another person's right to do so.

In gamer terms... Your right to play the game ends when you are only playing it to make other people feel angry, bad, sad, and so on.
#34 Dec 18 2010 at 7:55 PM Rating: Decent
***
2,202 posts
What about a feature that let's you flag yourself open for PVP, and if you dont flag yourself nobody can attack you, that way no ganking in your FFIXV, or a zone specifically design for PVP, and once you enter you are free game to whoever ?

I mean it would add flavor if nothing else to the game, like you have done all your leve's and you are bored ? well let me go to X zone and see if i can get a few kill's, then when you get bored you go back to fishing or killing dodo's lol
____________________________
MUTED
#35 Dec 18 2010 at 8:37 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
**
283 posts
Omena wrote:
Do I love PVP? Absolutely! Do I want it in FFXIV? No, because the game isn't suitable for it.

Sethern79 is the classic jerk who gets some perverse satisfaction from making other people miserable and has no place in society. There were few things I liked more about vanilla WoW than seeking people to kill in the open world, but I never did it with the intent of making them angry nor did I look for effortless prey. With some luck you could dismantle entire 40-man raids with very small numbers and killing raiders on their way to instances in Blackrock Mountain was among my favourite ways to spend time in WoW. There were always those who whined and cried but they were losers with no pride, incapable of standing up for themselves.

Edited, Dec 18th 2010 7:55pm by Omena


I think I called my self a jerk more than once when it came to PVP. But I have no place in society? On one had you say this and on the other hand you talk about doing the same thing I did in PVP games. The reason you had so much **** fun braking up raids in WoW with PVP was the fact that you where having an advers effect on other gamers enjoyment of the game! You can word it any way you want. But a duck is still a duck! The only thing difrent from you and me is I don't try to hid the fact that I was a jerk! "There were always those who whined and cried but they were losers with no pride, incapable of standing up for themselves." Read what you said here and tell me I am wrong?

BTW if you read what I said you would know I do not wish for FFXIV to become a open PVP game. I have all kinds of games that let me get my "perverse satisfaction" on! I kinda like having a game that dose not make me want to be that jerk. I like having a game where I can have fun with other people fighting the computer and not other players. PVPers love to talk about skill or fun or how its more real if we can attack eachother. But we all know deep down in the pits of our guts why we love PVP. its no difrent than saying my prick is bigger than your prick! And wile pvp could have a place in FFXIV such as BG's or duels. I really don't think open pvp has a place in FFXIV.





Edited, Dec 18th 2010 9:38pm by Sethern79
#36 Dec 18 2010 at 8:42 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
513 posts
Sethern79 wrote:

I think I called my self a jerk more than once when it came to PVP. But I have no place in society? On one had you say this and on the other hand you talk about doing the same thing I did in PVP games. The reason you had so much **** fun braking up raids in WoW with PVP was the fact that you where having an advers effect on other gamers enjoyment of the game! You can word it any way you want. But a duck is still a duck! The only thing difrent from you and me is I don't try to hid the fact that I was a jerk! "There were always those who whined and cried but they were losers with no pride, incapable of standing up for themselves." Read what you said here and tell me I am wrong?

Speak for yourself. I made it a point to never corpse camp anyone nor did I ever attack lower level players except when attacking alone against a much larger force. If my enjoyment was directly proportional to the amount of grief my targets felt I'd definitely have behaved differently.

If your role in society is to make society worse, you don't have a place in it. I don't know if you're a **** in real life also but based on your posts I imagine you would be if you could get away with it and it sickens me.

I'm not one to give up when the odds are against me, let alone when my side outnumbers the enemy. Many people would just give up and bend over even when they had an entire raid in the zone and I think that's really pathetic. Does that make me a jerk?


Edited, Dec 18th 2010 9:47pm by Omena
____________________________
#37 Dec 18 2010 at 8:50 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
283 posts
Omena wrote:
Sethern79 wrote:

I think I called my self a jerk more than once when it came to PVP. But I have no place in society? On one had you say this and on the other hand you talk about doing the same thing I did in PVP games. The reason you had so much **** fun braking up raids in WoW with PVP was the fact that you where having an advers effect on other gamers enjoyment of the game! You can word it any way you want. But a duck is still a duck! The only thing difrent from you and me is I don't try to hid the fact that I was a jerk! "There were always those who whined and cried but they were losers with no pride, incapable of standing up for themselves." Read what you said here and tell me I am wrong?

Speak for yourself. I made it a point to never corpse camp anyone nor did I ever attack lower level players except when attacking alone against a much larger force. If my enjoyment was directly proportional to the amount of grief my targets felt I'd definitely have behaved differently.

If your role in society is to make society worse, you don't have a place in it. I don't know if you're a **** in real life also but based on your posts I imagine you would be if you could get away with it and it sickens me.


Again read what you said! "There were always those who whined and cried but they were losers with no pride, incapable of standing up for themselves."

And you are telling me I am the only jerk here? that what you posted there is no difrent than. "HAHAH this lamer is crying over me killing him HAHAHA LOOK AT MY BIG EDICK!

Sure I attacked everyone in PVP. Thats why I played PVP. I love to let other people know I am better than them in the game! BTW thats all it is a game! Im not stealing candy from babys or pushing old ladys down a streat. Im playing a games and stroking my ego. Big deal. A PVPER that claims they don't do this is the same as a guy who claims they never jerked off!

Edited, Dec 18th 2010 9:51pm by Sethern79
#38 Dec 18 2010 at 11:11 PM Rating: Good
Sage
Avatar
*
54 posts
lol you want PvP ? how about a fishing contest. Meet the camp <insert local camp> gaming warden and follow them to the river the player that catches the most fish in the time limit wins a prize. could have something like that for any DoL job.
but for any of the DoW or DoM jobs something like balista woulden't be so bad. However i am of the crowd that would find a new game if they had open PvP



Edited, Dec 19th 2010 12:12am by delioo
____________________________

FFXIV: Viilaa Stardancer of Palamecia
FFXI: Dlon of Sylph (RIP)
Rift: Lightofthemoon Guardian mage of Graybriar
Fallenstar Defiant cleric of Graybriar
#39 Dec 18 2010 at 11:34 PM Rating: Good
***
2,202 posts
I will never understand some of you guy's, in one breath you say "Some of you want PVP to stroke your ego's while you look down upon others" and in the next one you would say something as "This game is not for kiddie's or bad's go back to WOW or "Insert random MMO"

Really sometimes PVER'S are as much griefers as PVPER'S are <.<
____________________________
MUTED
#40 Dec 18 2010 at 11:47 PM Rating: Decent
*
74 posts
I strongly like PVP. I personally feel it should be planted in the environment of XIV. Not because of the hype of PVP but after all it is an online game. It gives players something to do when there's nothing to do. My only opposite opinion about it however is the rewards given when it was over. That's how it died in XI, and only was good for just particular interaction for competition. Especially relating to online games, XI had PVP was to encourage practices of combat such as tactical thinking, maneuvers, or even survival basis.

Something I don't understand from these replies above. If you hate it, why leave XIV? That makes no sense. It doesn't affect game in any way. More or less, consider it as a "mini game" if you will. Sometimes, a good time is a good time to kill. PVP in XI was primarily an aim for retired players where everything that is needed to be done be done. Be it end game, equipment, BC, you name it.

#41 Dec 19 2010 at 12:15 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
**
691 posts
@ Sethern

At least you know you're a jerk and openly admit it..nay, revel in it. You know your place, and I assume you know it to be in a game with multiple factions that cannot communicate openly. That's more than I can say for most people who partake of your online lifestyle. For that, I applaud you. On the other hand, you're a jerk. For that, I must insult you in some manner...let's see...I know!

"Your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries."

Now that that is out of the way, SE has a pvp-based MMO. It's called Fantasy Earth Zero. Granted, they didn't exactly put their "best" staff on it, but look how "well" that worked for FFXIV... (<--Sarcasm btw)

They have one PvP MMO, why would they need another one? Maybe in 5 years or so when it starts to get old and busted they'll bring out the new hotness like they did with XI and XIV, but hopefully they'll concentrate on enjoyability instead of adding that a month after launch.

Almost forgot, they do have plans for "instanced" pvp in the forms of aerial and marine warfare. You know, keeping it far away from the open world.

Edited, Dec 19th 2010 12:18am by Uryuu
#42 Dec 19 2010 at 12:23 AM Rating: Good
Inboundwar wrote:
I strongly like PVP. I personally feel it should be planted in the environment of XIV. Not because of the hype of PVP but after all it is an online game. It gives players something to do when there's nothing to do. My only opposite opinion about it however is the rewards given when it was over. That's how it died in XI, and only was good for just particular interaction for competition. Especially relating to online games, XI had PVP was to encourage practices of combat such as tactical thinking, maneuvers, or even survival basis.

Something I don't understand from these replies above. If you hate it, why leave XIV? That makes no sense. It doesn't affect game in any way. More or less, consider it as a "mini game" if you will. Sometimes, a good time is a good time to kill. PVP in XI was primarily an aim for retired players where everything that is needed to be done be done. Be it end game, equipment, BC, you name it.



Bottom line is, people do not want PvP or at least open PvP because of all the griefing it would cause. Say you're trying to complete a Leve, time is counting down and you've got 1 enemy left. A BIG reward is on the line here! Just one more and you'll have the sweet (insert item name or guild mark amount) you've been wanting! Suddenly some jackhole comes up, laughs, and then just kills you on the spot. As you go down you just watch your leve timer tick away. You teleport back to the gate and run as fast as you can to the spot again. "Maybe I can just beat it with luck!" you think to yourself. Soon as you arrive there's mister uber-leet-jackhole waiting for you. All you can do now is watch as your timer ticks away and you fail your leve. Your big reward's now been lost until the next leve reset.

Now, does this sound fair to you? You let open-ended PvP in the current setup and this is what we're gonna have. People have said it time and time again. FF games have absolutely no room for PvP. You want to PvP that badly, allow them to use the coliseum in Ul'dah as a PvP battleground. Some will PvP for the thrill of it, others just do it because they get a thrill of killing newbies. FFXIV already has a bad rep due to the bad publicity. If SE even dreamed of adding in PvP I can guarantee you those who hate this game with a passion will purposely return just to cause grief to those who enjoy it. Adding in PvP right now would just be the final nail in the coffin.

And by the way depending on how PvP is implemented it can have a huge affect on the game. Classes would have to be continually tweaked, abilities nerfed, HP adjusted, skills changed, combat styles modified, and that's the start of it. If it were open you would have to deal with bored individuals lingering around camps just waiting to kill newbies who even dared stray outside of the gates. People would sit there stroking their e-peens taunting and harassing you to accept their PvP challenge. I used to play EQOA and I couldn't go to any city without having someone spamming PvP requests and sending whispers, tells, whatever it was, to fight them.
____________________________
FINAL FANTASY XIV Roleplayer

Sair Gammonari - Hyur Midlander Male - Conjurer (Somewhat retired.)
Mihana Zhralyia - Miqo'te Seeker of the Sun Female - Archer



#43 Dec 19 2010 at 12:35 AM Rating: Default
***
2,202 posts
Sir SamusKnight wrote:
Inboundwar wrote:
I strongly like PVP. I personally feel it should be planted in the environment of XIV. Not because of the hype of PVP but after all it is an online game. It gives players something to do when there's nothing to do. My only opposite opinion about it however is the rewards given when it was over. That's how it died in XI, and only was good for just particular interaction for competition. Especially relating to online games, XI had PVP was to encourage practices of combat such as tactical thinking, maneuvers, or even survival basis.

Something I don't understand from these replies above. If you hate it, why leave XIV? That makes no sense. It doesn't affect game in any way. More or less, consider it as a "mini game" if you will. Sometimes, a good time is a good time to kill. PVP in XI was primarily an aim for retired players where everything that is needed to be done be done. Be it end game, equipment, BC, you name it.



Bottom line is, people do not want PvP or at least open PvP because of all the griefing it would cause. Say you're trying to complete a Leve, time is counting down and you've got 1 enemy left. A BIG reward is on the line here! Just one more and you'll have the sweet (insert item name or guild mark amount) you've been wanting! Suddenly some jackhole comes up, laughs, and then just kills you on the spot. As you go down you just watch your leve timer tick away. You teleport back to the gate and run as fast as you can to the spot again. "Maybe I can just beat it with luck!" you think to yourself. Soon as you arrive there's mister uber-leet-jackhole waiting for you. All you can do now is watch as your timer ticks away and you fail your leve. Your big reward's now been lost until the next leve reset.

Now, does this sound fair to you? You let open-ended PvP in the current setup and this is what we're gonna have. People have said it time and time again. FF games have absolutely no room for PvP. You want to PvP that badly, allow them to use the coliseum in Ul'dah as a PvP battleground. Some will PvP for the thrill of it, others just do it because they get a thrill of killing newbies. FFXIV already has a bad rep due to the bad publicity. If SE even dreamed of adding in PvP I can guarantee you those who hate this game with a passion will purposely return just to cause grief to those who enjoy it. Adding in PvP right now would just be the final nail in the coffin.

And by the way depending on how PvP is implemented it can have a huge affect on the game. Classes would have to be continually tweaked, abilities nerfed, HP adjusted, skills changed, combat styles modified, and that's the start of it. If it were open you would have to deal with bored individuals lingering around camps just waiting to kill newbies who even dared stray outside of the gates. People would sit there stroking their e-peens taunting and harassing you to accept their PvP challenge. I used to play EQOA and I couldn't go to any city without having someone spamming PvP requests and sending whispers, tells, whatever it was, to fight them.


What server did you played on EQOA ?
____________________________
MUTED
#44 Dec 19 2010 at 12:43 AM Rating: Decent
16 posts
I don't want PVP where people can grief each other randomly or ask for duels, I think most people feel that way too, but I wouldn't mind if it was like FFXI's Ballista. Sections of areas for groups of people to team up and beat the opposing team, and if people don't like that they can simply ignore it and pretend it doesn't exist. Plenty of people on XI did just that.

The problem I see however with just transplanting ballista from XI to XIV is that fighting in XIV is way more restrictive and annoying than it was in XI. Swapping between active and passive mode constantly as people rush in and out of fights when doing so -still- makes players come to a complete stop for 2-3 seconds? Ugh. All abilities root you to the ground longer than abilities did in XI. Even simply attacking roots you to the ground and moves you forward involuntarily at the same time, you could attack and move at the same time in XI with no rooting or issues at all. It's one of the many things they should have improved from XI but didn't and in fact made it worse.

I think PVP in any form with the way animations and movement are dealt with in this game would be a complete disaster. XI was bad enough, it'd be even worse in XIV. Pretty animations come in direct conflict with the gameplay while fighting. XIV is the only game I can think of where graphics literally makes the gameplay worse because of their presence, I would rather they threw all the animations out and I was looking at a stick figure if I could move around easier. If SE want to implement PVP they'd need to take a serious look at the way the game controls while fighting in such hectic environments and make adjustments.
#45 Dec 19 2010 at 12:55 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
283 posts
Uryuu wrote:
@ Sethern

At least you know you're a jerk and openly admit it..nay, revel in it. You know your place, and I assume you know it to be in a game with multiple factions that cannot communicate openly. That's more than I can say for most people who partake of your online lifestyle. For that, I applaud you. On the other hand, you're a jerk. For that, I must insult you in some manner...let's see...I know!

"Your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries."

Now that that is out of the way, SE has a pvp-based MMO. It's called Fantasy Earth Zero. Granted, they didn't exactly put their "best" staff on it, but look how "well" that worked for FFXIV... (<--Sarcasm btw)

They have one PvP MMO, why would they need another one? Maybe in 5 years or so when it starts to get old and busted they'll bring out the new hotness like they did with XI and XIV, but hopefully they'll concentrate on enjoyability instead of adding that a month after launch.

Almost forgot, they do have plans for "instanced" pvp in the forms of aerial and marine warfare. You know, keeping it far away from the open world.

Edited, Dec 19th 2010 12:18am by Uryuu


My father never smelt of eldernerries!!! YOu take that back! TAKE IT BACK NOW or or ill tell!
#46 Dec 19 2010 at 12:57 AM Rating: Good
Ostia wrote:
What server did you played on EQOA ?


Ferran's Hope, long before the game went downhill and people started leaving. I think it may have been around the NA release of FFXI I eventually left. All I do recall is I could never enter Freeport without having some random PvP invite pop on my screen and someone wanting to fight me. That's not why I quit however, I just grew tired of the game and moved on to different stuff.

But on topic, I'm even sure SE at the start stated they had absolutely no plans to add in PvP for FFXIV. I don't mean to hate on those who love PvP but please, instead of thinking or expecting it to be added here why not take it elsewhere? I'm not saying you have to quit the game here, however I feel or at least believe the majority of the population does not want any form of PvP in this game. Many fine titles out there that do, go fight each other to your heart's content then return and play the game with the rest of us.
____________________________
FINAL FANTASY XIV Roleplayer

Sair Gammonari - Hyur Midlander Male - Conjurer (Somewhat retired.)
Mihana Zhralyia - Miqo'te Seeker of the Sun Female - Archer



#47 Dec 19 2010 at 1:06 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
283 posts
Sir SamusKnight wrote:
Ostia wrote:
What server did you played on EQOA ?


Ferran's Hope, long before the game went downhill and people started leaving. I think it may have been around the NA release of FFXI I eventually left. All I do recall is I could never enter Freeport without having some random PvP invite pop on my screen and someone wanting to fight me. That's not why I quit however, I just grew tired of the game and moved on to different stuff.

But on topic, I'm even sure SE at the start stated they had absolutely no plans to add in PvP for FFXIV. I don't mean to hate on those who love PvP but please, instead of thinking or expecting it to be added here why not take it elsewhere? I'm not saying you have to quit the game here, however I feel or at least believe the majority of the population does not want any form of PvP in this game. Many fine titles out there that do, go fight each other to your heart's content then return and play the game with the rest of us.


If any of you really love PVP as I do come join me in Darkfall! Great PVP system that takes up the great balk of my MMO time ATM. Just don't Cry to momy if you find out you don't really love PVP.
#48 Dec 19 2010 at 1:20 AM Rating: Good
***
2,202 posts
Sir SamusKnight wrote:
Ostia wrote:
What server did you played on EQOA ?


Ferran's Hope, long before the game went downhill and people started leaving. I think it may have been around the NA release of FFXI I eventually left. All I do recall is I could never enter Freeport without having some random PvP invite pop on my screen and someone wanting to fight me. That's not why I quit however, I just grew tired of the game and moved on to different stuff.

But on topic, I'm even sure SE at the start stated they had absolutely no plans to add in PvP for FFXIV. I don't mean to hate on those who love PvP but please, instead of thinking or expecting it to be added here why not take it elsewhere? I'm not saying you have to quit the game here, however I feel or at least believe the majority of the population does not want any form of PvP in this game. Many fine titles out there that do, go fight each other to your heart's content then return and play the game with the rest of us.


I played on the first server(Castle lightwolf) i think it was called, good game EQOA was <.<

Anyways on to the topic, i think SE needs all the customers it needs right now, and if they add an area or a zone where people can PVP freely and not harm anybody that does not wanna take part on it, it's a win win for everybody
____________________________
MUTED
#49 Dec 19 2010 at 1:27 AM Rating: Excellent
Open PVP no, not in FFXIV but in an arena setting where players can watch and wager would be cool. Players could be restricted to the same level and also be restricted with their battle gear. Combatants would start off completely level in all respects, this could also be fought LS x LS with maybe 6 each side. A lot more interesting than chocobo racing.

Though I wouldn't want to run around having some idiot challenging me to a duel every 5 seconds, gladiatorial bouts I think would be a lot of fun.
____________________________
Hocuspocus of Hades:
The Kings Majesties most excellent Hocus Pocus
Karma Zameleons - Zam.com Linkshell on Ultros Server!
#50 Dec 19 2010 at 2:23 AM Rating: Default
*
74 posts
Sir SamusKnight wrote:
Inboundwar wrote:
I strongly like PVP. I personally feel it should be planted in the environment of XIV. Not because of the hype of PVP but after all it is an online game. It gives players something to do when there's nothing to do. My only opposite opinion about it however is the rewards given when it was over. That's how it died in XI, and only was good for just particular interaction for competition. Especially relating to online games, XI had PVP was to encourage practices of combat such as tactical thinking, maneuvers, or even survival basis.

Something I don't understand from these replies above. If you hate it, why leave XIV? That makes no sense. It doesn't affect game in any way. More or less, consider it as a "mini game" if you will. Sometimes, a good time is a good time to kill. PVP in XI was primarily an aim for retired players where everything that is needed to be done be done. Be it end game, equipment, BC, you name it.



Bottom line is, people do not want PvP or at least open PvP because of all the griefing it would cause. Say you're trying to complete a Leve, time is counting down and you've got 1 enemy left. A BIG reward is on the line here! Just one more and you'll have the sweet (insert item name or guild mark amount) you've been wanting! Suddenly some jackhole comes up, laughs, and then just kills you on the spot. As you go down you just watch your leve timer tick away. You teleport back to the gate and run as fast as you can to the spot again. "Maybe I can just beat it with luck!" you think to yourself. Soon as you arrive there's mister uber-leet-jackhole waiting for you. All you can do now is watch as your timer ticks away and you fail your leve. Your big reward's now been lost until the next leve reset.

Now, does this sound fair to you? You let open-ended PvP in the current setup and this is what we're gonna have. People have said it time and time again. FF games have absolutely no room for PvP. You want to PvP that badly, allow them to use the coliseum in Ul'dah as a PvP battleground. Some will PvP for the thrill of it, others just do it because they get a thrill of killing newbies. FFXIV already has a bad rep due to the bad publicity. If SE even dreamed of adding in PvP I can guarantee you those who hate this game with a passion will purposely return just to cause grief to those who enjoy it. Adding in PvP right now would just be the final nail in the coffin.

And by the way depending on how PvP is implemented it can have a huge affect on the game. Classes would have to be continually tweaked, abilities nerfed, HP adjusted, skills changed, combat styles modified, and that's the start of it. If it were open you would have to deal with bored individuals lingering around camps just waiting to kill newbies who even dared stray outside of the gates. People would sit there stroking their e-peens taunting and harassing you to accept their PvP challenge. I used to play EQOA and I couldn't go to any city without having someone spamming PvP requests and sending whispers, tells, whatever it was, to fight them.


I like your argument. We need more posters like you to post like this instead of replying in old fashion with the rate button unreasoning or nonsupport of their opinion. /thumbs up (and I mean that seriously, not sarcastically). I never played much of PC games other than SNES (emulator) games that were never released in the US. Mostly JP-RPG games. Never the less, I am a sole console user. However, I have to say that it's really hard to turn away an interest in PVP not because other PC games that offered it, but the enjoyment that I had remembering those good o'l days on XI. In fact, there's still ballista going on that I do not know of still on some servers I heard but not sure which based on sharing this on the Ls of IV.

I don't know what's all these RPGs I'm hearing offering these PvP games but they're PC. I'm not pc as I mentioned above. The only game that I have ever been close to be interested in PvP on PC was Fantasy Earth zero (correct name?) but the game alone is too simple and too dull in my opinion. However, based on your reply that was a personal experience you didn't like PvP and I can see why. XI didn't have that. They had areas where you sign up and fight, or make your own at diorama/Brenner. Even with the use of Brenner/dio you can at least experiment with one another on weapon skills/chains/gear/ etc.

PvP can be made just as the game can be made on the visuals and opinions of others. What if it's not leves? How bout gil? Sp or Exp even? It just seems very critical of you to say take our love of PvP elsewhere after we sampled the fun from what we had experienced from XI. There's already tweaks/nerfs on XI & IV on unrelated PvP issues. Remember, when there was nothing to do on XI, casual play was the reason why the game now is still alive. That is, until they started to raise level caps and further expansions.

But anyways, central idea is if PvP is for casual players, and XIV was made for casual players then people would be still interested in it. Again, I say this with much emphasize that it's not going to affect your game play if it's at an area and you have to sign up just to interact with one another fighting.
#51 Dec 19 2010 at 3:06 AM Rating: Decent
Avatar
**
676 posts
I've played PvP MMO games before, they usually follow the same routine:

Get a quest
Go outside of town
Fend off attackers
Kill monsters
Get ganked by your previous attacker and his new pals

The only ones who "succeed" in these types of games are those who've spent more hours than is healthy levelling their character and getting the absolute best items in the game. It's always a one-sided affair for either you or the attacker, and most anti-gank karma systems just don't work.

Besides, it wouldn't fit with FFXIV's design. All quests are done on timers, making greifing tactics very easy to perform. Imagine being assailed by a group of thugs while tackling a notorious monster, or simply while in the middle of gathering. Open PvP can be entertaining, if done properly. But you need to design the game with that in mind from the start, or the pieces of the puzzle won't fit together.

FFXIV was designed as a PvE game, and that's the way it should remain. Though I am certainly not opposed to them opening up the arena for PvP matches between consenting parties.
____________________________

FFXI: Siren Server: Seiowan Lvl 99 WHM, SCH, BLM
FFXIV: Ragnarok Server: Lemuria Glitterhands All Classes 50
« Previous 1 2
This forum is read only
This Forum is Read Only!
Recent Visitors: 18 All times are in CST
Anonymous Guests (18)