Forum Settings
       
This Forum is Read Only

Bard questionFollow

#1 Dec 19 2010 at 1:58 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
*
97 posts
I was just curious if any of you .dat farmers have found anything about bard being a class in the game eventually like any gear, abilities, or just anything that might hint to bard being introduced. Im really hoping that we get bard eventually cause it wont be final fantasy with out the OP buffer :P Thanks for any info!
#2 Dec 19 2010 at 2:02 AM Rating: Default
*****
11,576 posts
You mean it won't be FFXI-2 without the OP buffer?
#3 Dec 19 2010 at 3:23 AM Rating: Good
Avatar
**
676 posts
This being a Final Fantasy game, I think we can expect a few new classes to show up. The safe money is on Summoner, Thief and Blue Mage, but it wouldn't shock me if Bard showed up in there as well. Why them? Well, mostly because of the way the classes are set out at the moment.

We don't technically have Dark Knight, but we have Marauder with mostly the same skills. We don't have Black or White mages, but we have Conjurer which is effectively both, making them also akin to Scholars. The point is most of the class roles are already filled in some form or another, so the new classes need to be fairly unique in their role.

We don't have a dedicated buff/debuff class, like Bards. Thaumaturge might be considered close, but their range of debuffs doesn't match the ones that used to be offered by Bards. We currently have no pet jobs, and summons seem almost a dead certainty given it's a Final Fantasy game so Summoner can fill that role nicely. Blue Magic is another staple of the FF series which hasn't been seen yet, so that's my reasoning behind that class.

As for Thief, we currently have no Steal or Mug skills, no Treasure Hunter, no Flee, and no sneaky combat. I feel it's absence like a hollow void. It might not have been a popular class in parties early in FFXI's days, but I adored the tactics of aiming those Sneak Attacks, getting the right timing so you could Viper Bite for more damage than was healthy for a level 40 job. I never really enjoyed melee jobs until I got my hands on Thief. It is, for want of a better description, brilliant fun.

So long story short, expect new classes which might easily include Bard. Personally, I can't wait to see what's in store for us.
____________________________
[ffxivsig]1814124[/ffxivsig]
FFXI: Siren Server: Seiowan Lvl 99 WHM, SCH, BLM
FFXIV: Ragnarok Server: Lemuria Glitterhands All Classes 50
#4 Dec 19 2010 at 3:36 AM Rating: Good
Glitterhands wrote:
This being a Final Fantasy game, I think we can expect a few new classes to show up. The safe money is on Summoner, Thief and Blue Mage, but it wouldn't shock me if Bard showed up in there as well. Why them? Well, mostly because of the way the classes are set out at the moment.

We don't technically have Dark Knight, but we have Marauder with mostly the same skills. We don't have Black or White mages, but we have Conjurer which is effectively both, making them also akin to Scholars. The point is most of the class roles are already filled in some form or another, so the new classes need to be fairly unique in their role.

We don't have a dedicated buff/debuff class, like Bards. Thaumaturge might be considered close, but their range of debuffs doesn't match the ones that used to be offered by Bards. We currently have no pet jobs, and summons seem almost a dead certainty given it's a Final Fantasy game so Summoner can fill that role nicely. Blue Magic is another staple of the FF series which hasn't been seen yet, so that's my reasoning behind that class.

As for Thief, we currently have no Steal or Mug skills, no Treasure Hunter, no Flee, and no sneaky combat. I feel it's absence like a hollow void. It might not have been a popular class in parties early in FFXI's days, but I adored the tactics of aiming those Sneak Attacks, getting the right timing so you could Viper Bite for more damage than was healthy for a level 40 job. I never really enjoyed melee jobs until I got my hands on Thief. It is, for want of a better description, brilliant fun.

So long story short, expect new classes which might easily include Bard. Personally, I can't wait to see what's in store for us.


We do have Steal and Flee right now... Although it hasn't been added in, Pugilist has an ability called "Steal" which does just that, swipes an item from an enemy. "Flee" has already been implemented in-game and is learned by Archer. It's called "Quickstride". Very useful for when enemies turn tail and run away from you. As for getting around, not so much... 30 second duration, 25-26 if you count the time it takes to draw your weapon, use it, then put away. It's on a 3 minute timer and usable by all classes minus DoH/DoL.

I don't have a link to it but an LS member had given me a list of jobs to come and sadly Summoner wasn't on that list. I do recall there was Shepherd (Which should be like Beastmaster in a way I think.) Fencer, Musketeer, Arcanist, and Bard was listed too. Most likely Arcanist and Musketeer will be the next two classes thrown in with the remainders being classes tossed in when the gates to Ishgard are finally opened.

Edited, Dec 19th 2010 1:41am by SamusKnight
____________________________
FINAL FANTASY XIV Roleplayer
[ffxivsig]667415[/ffxivsig]
Sair Gammonari - Hyur Midlander Male - Conjurer (Somewhat retired.)
Mihana Zhralyia - Miqo'te Seeker of the Sun Female - Archer



#5 Dec 19 2010 at 3:59 AM Rating: Default
Avatar
*****
12,781 posts
The Bard in the .dats is for the NPC Bards.

Edited, Dec 19th 2010 2:00am by Theonehio
____________________________

#6 Dec 19 2010 at 4:36 AM Rating: Decent
*****
11,576 posts
In addition to the abilities associated with THF (Steal...the only one "mandatory" for a thief-type class and Flee being a hold out from FFXI), Gladiator has the weapons covered. THF without daggers or knives? Nope. Ambidexterity is also a Gladiator ability. Shepard, if I'm not mistaken, was listed as a DoL class, not a combat class.

There's an NPC bard that is central to the first few Ul'dah missions. That's the only reference to bards I've really found.

You can have a buffing class and it doesn't have to be a bard.
#7 Dec 19 2010 at 6:19 AM Rating: Excellent
*
90 posts
and LNC gets a trick attack style abblity already
____________________________
[ffxivsig]1815809[/ffxivsig]
#8 Dec 19 2010 at 6:44 AM Rating: Decent
**
602 posts
PUG has Sneak attack. does more damage when striking a mob from behind. and as far as i know they took steal away from PUG. As of now it is not in the game.
____________________________
BANNED
[ffxivsig]1715623[/ffxivsig]
#9 Dec 19 2010 at 7:00 AM Rating: Decent
Sage
Avatar
**
676 posts
I'm not sure if you can consider it learning blue magic, but there was a player not long after release that had somehow accidently glitched and learned a bunch of enemy skills. There was a youtube video of it at the time. I would link to the video, but I can't remember what the guys name was. He had some fun with it for a couple hours and then let SE know about it and they kicked him off not long from that and when he could get back on all the neat abilities were gone.
____________________________
[ffxivsig]1789917[/ffxivsig]
#10 Dec 19 2010 at 7:05 AM Rating: Decent
Avatar
*****
12,781 posts
swisa wrote:
I'm not sure if you can consider it learning blue magic, but there was a player not long after release that had somehow accidently glitched and learned a bunch of enemy skills. There was a youtube video of it at the time. I would link to the video, but I can't remember what the guys name was. He had some fun with it for a couple hours and then let SE know about it and they kicked him off not long from that and when he could get back on all the neat abilities were gone.


They are planning a job like that as it was just certain abilities he learned iirc. It's possible it's a complete glitch, but it's also possible there's stray 'blu' code.
____________________________

#11 Dec 19 2010 at 10:07 AM Rating: Good
Mistress Theonehio wrote:
swisa wrote:
I'm not sure if you can consider it learning blue magic, but there was a player not long after release that had somehow accidently glitched and learned a bunch of enemy skills. There was a youtube video of it at the time. I would link to the video, but I can't remember what the guys name was. He had some fun with it for a couple hours and then let SE know about it and they kicked him off not long from that and when he could get back on all the neat abilities were gone.


They are planning a job like that as it was just certain abilities he learned iirc. It's possible it's a complete glitch, but it's also possible there's stray 'blu' code.


Found said video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FCsZvGmmOfE
____________________________
FINAL FANTASY XIV Roleplayer
[ffxivsig]667415[/ffxivsig]
Sair Gammonari - Hyur Midlander Male - Conjurer (Somewhat retired.)
Mihana Zhralyia - Miqo'te Seeker of the Sun Female - Archer



#12 Dec 19 2010 at 10:50 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
*
97 posts
I hope bard will be implemented soon via patch or something for some more DoM classes. I dont see what else you could possibly need for DoM besides a buffer like Bard cause CON and THM have like every spell covered almost lol. Im curious to see what they will do in the future :P
#13 Dec 19 2010 at 10:53 AM Rating: Decent
Edited by bsphil
******
21,739 posts
The real question will be, what will they name the Bard so that it's unique from the standard FF job system but still a bard? Instrumentalist?

Edited, Dec 19th 2010 10:53am by bsphil
____________________________
His Excellency Aethien wrote:
Almalieque wrote:
If no one debated with me, then I wouldn't post here anymore.
Take the hint guys, please take the hint.
gbaji wrote:
I'm not getting my news from anywhere Joph.
#14 Dec 19 2010 at 10:55 AM Rating: Default
**
602 posts
Thats Sick, I want to be Blue Mage. I loved it in FFXI
____________________________
BANNED
[ffxivsig]1715623[/ffxivsig]
#15 Dec 19 2010 at 10:55 AM Rating: Default
**
602 posts
Thats Sick, I want to be Blue Mage. I loved it in FFXI
____________________________
BANNED
[ffxivsig]1715623[/ffxivsig]
#16 Dec 19 2010 at 10:59 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
*
97 posts
Phil I don't care what they call it just as long as it has the same feel as bard in FFXI and i can buff people and be awesome lol.
#17 Dec 19 2010 at 11:15 AM Rating: Decent
Avatar
**
676 posts
Quote:
We do have Steal and Flee right now... Although it hasn't been added in, Pugilist has an ability called "Steal" which does just that, swipes an item from an enemy. "Flee" has already been implemented in-game and is learned by Archer. It's called "Quickstride". Very useful for when enemies turn tail and run away from you. As for getting around, not so much... 30 second duration, 25-26 if you count the time it takes to draw your weapon, use it, then put away. It's on a 3 minute timer and usable by all classes minus DoH/DoL.
Quickstride isn't exactly a 'Flee' equivalent since it only gives you a 20% speed increase compared to FFXI's 100% bonus. It might give you a slight edge when retreating from some enemies, but I don't really consider it the same skill. It's more like Quickening than Flee. That said, you're right about Steal being in the DATs under Pugilist, but as it's not officially available, it could always be moved onto a different class prior to its release. I didn't know about Blindside though, so I guess that's Sneak Attack covered.

It's a little disappointing to be honest, since they seem to have scattered Thief's best skills around instead of defining it as a class. None of the current classes have any grace to them except spamming your best attacks. It seems holding out hope for Thief is in vain since nothing we currently have could ever come close. A shame.

As for summoners, it's pretty obvious the summons themselves are in the game. The character models are already there, after all. Whether it's made into its own class is a different matter. I would really like to see a Summoner class in the game, and it's not altogether unlikely we will see such a thing, but im hoping we don't get a carbon copy of FFXI's poor summoners. I want summons with skills I can continue to use even at higher levels.

Edited, Dec 19th 2010 12:18pm by Glitterhands
____________________________
[ffxivsig]1814124[/ffxivsig]
FFXI: Siren Server: Seiowan Lvl 99 WHM, SCH, BLM
FFXIV: Ragnarok Server: Lemuria Glitterhands All Classes 50
#18 Dec 19 2010 at 12:01 PM Rating: Good
***
3,530 posts
bsphil wrote:
The real question will be, what will they name the Bard so that it's unique from the standard FF job system but still a bard? Instrumentalist?


Musician? Minstrel? Maybe they'll go JP FFXI and make it a "Wandering Poet." XD
____________________________
"... he called to himself a wizard, named Gallery, hoping by this means to escape the paying of the fifteen hundred crowns..." (Machen 15)

"Thus opium is pleasing... on account of the agreeable delirium it produces." (Burke para.6)

"I could only read so much for this paper and the syphilis poem had to go."
#19 Dec 19 2010 at 3:54 PM Rating: Good
***
1,949 posts
Quote:
Musician? Minstrel? Maybe they'll go JP FFXI and make it a "Wandering Poet." XD

Pretty sure it was Bard according to the dat mining thread.

Sylphs have bard-like spells aoe sleep (Horde Lullaby?) which produces musical partitions like FFXI Bard did. You can see them in a faction leve that takes place in Camp Tranquil iirc.

Bards are classified as DoM, so I assume they will have the ability to single target or aoe their buffs, and that unlike conjurer which are small, targettable AoE, bard will have big PBAoE.

There's a bard elezan in the marauder's guild in Limsa that plays the game's theme song with a harp, I believe.
____________________________
FFXIV: Cloe Delisle Scholar, officer of the SWAGGER Free company, Sargatanas server.
#20 Dec 19 2010 at 4:32 PM Rating: Decent
*
213 posts
I love the game, but am also severely sad faced about no thief... They whored out all of the thief's abilities already, and yeah... dagger is already used by GLA. I'm a fanboy of FF, but I simply don't understand the 'no white mage, no black mage, no thief' I don't get it... and it is very disappointing. oh wellz... :(
____________________________

[ffxivsig]1808822[/ffxivsig]
#21 Dec 19 2010 at 4:36 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
19 posts
If their skills are spread throughout the classes, you can always mix and match the skills from the different classes to make your own thief. Isn't that what FFXIV's whole class system is about?
#22 Dec 20 2010 at 12:25 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
16 posts
In terms of a Bard, I don't know if it's completely significant, but during a Storyline Quest in Gridania, the entrance to Mih Khetto's Ampitheatre (directly north of The Whistling Miller) has a sign with a lute on it. No, that doesn't mean the Ampitheatre is going to be the Bard Guild location, since the sign is the same color scheme as other shops on the map, not Guilds. However, a shop with a lute could imply the possibility of something music-related entering the game...or maybe just a future event location. Just speculation.

I found a small picture where you can see it:
http://s1.hubimg.com/u/3812604_f260.jpg

Edited, Dec 20th 2010 1:25pm by Silvano13
____________________________
[ffxivsig]1823307[/ffxivsig]
This forum is read only
This Forum is Read Only!
Recent Visitors: 29 All times are in CDT
Anonymous Guests (29)