Forum Settings
       
This Forum is Read Only

Can FFXIV Survive Its Player Base?Follow

#52 Dec 20 2010 at 4:48 AM Rating: Default
Johnsmith129 wrote:
Seems the trolls are quick to the boards eh?

Its funny because the whole concept of trolling has never made any sense to me. If you don't like the game, why are you on these boards?

Call me a white-knight if i come on the general discussion board of a game that i enjoy playing?

I'll call you a pathetic individual for spending time of your life hopping on forums of a game that you:

A) Never played and bash
B) Played and disliked

It has never made sense to me if you don't like the game why are you on these forums? I could understand if u wish to see it turn around, but than again your not the ones bashing it. Give me one intelligent answer?

There isn't one, just a bunch of dissatisfaction and rants because it didn't meet your expectations.

Boo hoo move along because there are plenty of people who like the game and are excited about its future implentations to keep it going now, and will be even moreso after PS3 launch.

Peace haters



This is the best comment on the thread so far.
I am not particularly happy with the state of FFXIV at the moment and have my doubts about the game's future, but I submit ideas to SE all the time of things that I think should be fixed and some of the things have been adressed some not.
I believe in few months time the game will start to show some recovery (in my opinnion it already has started doing it).
I don't understand people who don't have anything constructive to say except "this game is dead"... if it is so dead, then why are so many people still on these forums saying it?

If the game now had a huge make over, would you haters log back on ffxiv?
____________________________

#53 Dec 20 2010 at 4:53 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
1,523 posts
I guess I'm more the Knight then the Troll. My big beef with most of the negative community out there is that they percieve FFXIV as a failed, finished game. ("Finished" as in completed in development) For me the game is still in it's early stages of development. I still consider this current stage beta as well. I really don't see the point in grading an uncomplete game with reviews. I don't really want to have input in their game content either.

BUT (it's a really big "but") when I look at the User Interface my blood starts to boil. Even with the recent update I still find it horrible. Like the Troll said "Shouldn't a decade of experience have translated to a much better title?" I just amazes me that after so many titles it just seems like for some aspects they just have amnesia and need to reinvent the wheel again.
____________________________
____(>°°)D_->__(O°°)>-_<(;,,;)>_C-(°°Q)__O~~_t(°°<)_(;o0)___<(;,,;)>_<(;,,;)>_<(;,,;)>_<(;,,;)>_<(;,,;)>_____

#54 Dec 20 2010 at 7:18 AM Rating: Decent
*
53 posts
SE white knights are as bad as FFXIV they down rank anyone who they disagree with lolz as if that gonna help their game.

Remember it was the trolls who brought new development team, all these free months you are enjoying and all the UI enhancements etc

The people who are like "if you don't like it just leave then why you are here" clearly does not get it

We the trolls are not here fighting SE but also fighting the blind white knights who want to pull innocent souls toward their garbage game, I'm an HNM troll and i will not allow any innocent soul to read this thread in case they were wondering if they should play the game or not so I'm here to show the other dark side of this game, The white knights will not take us down and we will fight for equal rights for the sake of humanity since once you play FFXIV your soul is lost forever.
#55 Dec 20 2010 at 7:21 AM Rating: Excellent
**
422 posts
I didn't have extremely high unrealistic expectations of this game. I expected there to be a core battle system that was rewarding for both solo and party play, some story outside of the main city quest (call me crazy but you would think the makers of final fantasy would have a decent amount of story related quests or just plain lore on release outside of the main city quest), an intuitive interface, and an auction house (or a suitable replacement for one).

None of that seems unrealistic to me. I would not even mind the grind to 50 on magic classes if the combat was actually fun. I play CON and THM and for the first months of this game it was better to basically spam spirit dart or phantom dart than to use dd spells to gain rank solo. Both classes also were much better off healing if they wanted to join parties due to the way sp gain was at the time (limiting choice on a game that seemed to me was to focus on customization.).

If that wasn't enough, retainers that were an attempt to reduce or eliminate RMT did nothing to them (Only shouts I see in cities are from RMT sites) and instead reduced the player population with its stupidity. It still boggles the mind how anyone that actually played this game in SE thought clicking through hundreds of npcs for an item that MIGHT be there was fun or rewarding.

So yeah... I side with the troll. "Trolls" (Although I don't think unsatisfied customers should be considered trolls but whatever...) didn't do anything to kill this game. It was SE. Many of these "trolls" are people that still play FF11 or the various FF games. That fact that SE lost a large portion of their core base is telling. Its not an issue of WoW players causing a ruckus. Hardcore FF fans hate this game.

Will I have an open mind in the future for this game? Yes. For me personally i wouldn't check out this site if I was not still interested in playing the game when its more fleshed out but I would not continue subscribing on empty promises. They have done a great job with the latest updates and I hope they continue to improve the game but the core battle system needs to be made actually enjoyable. I will continue to check out the game in the future and see if things turn around which I sincerely hope they do but there are a multitude of good games I can play in the mean time.
#56 Dec 20 2010 at 7:39 AM Rating: Default
Scholar
***
1,523 posts
Quote:
If that wasn't enough, retainers that were an attempt to reduce or eliminate RMT did nothing to them (Only shouts I see in cities are from RMT sites) and instead reduced the player population with its stupidity. It still boggles the mind how anyone that actually played this game in SE thought clicking through hundreds of npcs for an item that MIGHT be there was fun or rewarding.


That's weird, because I see hardly any RMT shouts in cities here on Lindblum. I remember seeying some annoying spamm a few months ago but recently nothing at all. I'm starting to wonder if I have finally mastered the art of unconsciously surpressing these shouts or that even the RMT trolls gave up on FFXIV or that you're full of it.
____________________________
____(>°°)D_->__(O°°)>-_<(;,,;)>_C-(°°Q)__O~~_t(°°<)_(;o0)___<(;,,;)>_<(;,,;)>_<(;,,;)>_<(;,,;)>_<(;,,;)>_____

#57 Dec 20 2010 at 8:23 AM Rating: Decent
Avatar
***
1,339 posts
UltKnightGrover wrote:
But the people who think the game will never survive are just as delusional as the people who think S-E are gods who can never go wrong.


They're not delusional at all and it's erroneous to consider them as such. Those people merely base their judgment on the past failures of companies in the MMO genre. No company that's ever had a terrible launch has recovered and moved on to greatness because there's simply too many options out there.

Are they correct? Perhaps, but it all depends on SE. And their track record has shown, time and time again, that SE is all talk and no bite when it comes to fixing things. It's true they can be serious this time and are able to turn FFXIV around, but you can't blame people for being jaded with a company that essentially "cries wolf" in their MMO games.
#58 Dec 20 2010 at 8:43 AM Rating: Decent
*
170 posts
StrijderVechter wrote:
UltKnightGrover wrote:
But the people who think the game will never survive are just as delusional as the people who think S-E are gods who can never go wrong.


They're not delusional at all and it's erroneous to consider them as such. Those people merely base their judgment on the past failures of companies in the MMO genre. No company that's ever had a terrible launch has recovered and moved on to greatness because there's simply too many options out there.

Are they correct? Perhaps, but it all depends on SE. And their track record has shown, time and time again, that SE is all talk and no bite when it comes to fixing things. It's true they can be serious this time and are able to turn FFXIV around, but you can't blame people for being jaded with a company that essentially "cries wolf" in their MMO games.


Yes but to fix it on the time table which they adhere to is not a bad thing, worthy of a second chance when all of the issues are being addressed in a timely manner for a company? It is not like they can flip a switch and fix everything. Though the player base is jaded, mean and typically veterans, White Knight or Troll has to see where SE is going is positive, not negative.

The last fires of the trolls are now: Content and Parties. When these things are fixed or whatever they'll bring something else up. Since ward search function essentially makes an AH out of the wards the biggest issue with XIV will disappear in tomorrow's update.
____________________________


#59 Dec 20 2010 at 8:56 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
685 posts
I think both parties are being unreasonable in their extreme optimism or pessimism. Why not those of us that enjoy the game go on enjoying it, those who don't just keep an eye on Lodestone and the forums to see if it improves, and we all wait to react to updates as they get released and see where it goes? Can't we all just get along? Will somebody please think of the children?
____________________________

Crafter Consortium Craftsman/Gatherers Linkshell
#60 Dec 20 2010 at 8:57 AM Rating: Good
Avatar
***
1,080 posts
UncleRuckusForLife wrote:


I wanted this game to do well. The game isnt doing well and no amount of white knighting is gonna change that. Also trolls can troll all they want but at this point trolling FFXIV is like trying to set ashes from an already burned down house back on fire, its pointless.


This.
Looking at FFXI from a new perspective now, and for all it's faults, I think it spoiled us for FFXIV. We expected something greater, but got something just...different and unfinished. What the he'll was SE doing for five yrs? Are they that parochial and isolated, that they don't pay attn to the rest of the gaming world?
____________________________
A reader lives a thousand lives, the man who never reads lives only one. - George R.R. Martin
#61 Dec 20 2010 at 9:42 AM Rating: Default
***
2,202 posts
Can SE survive this game ? Probably

Can this game Survive ? Not likely

Anybody that say's this game can survive with it's current population needs to ask this Question?

Did SE invest all this money, and produced probably the most PC demanding MMO in the market, spent 5 years developing, to hold a population lower than FFXI wich is what ? 7-8 years old ?

No they dint, so why are they doing so bad ? Because the game SUCKS!
____________________________
MUTED
#62 Dec 20 2010 at 10:39 AM Rating: Excellent
***
3,178 posts
Are we now considering the possibility of FFXI failing? Will the subscription numbers create a situation for SE that points to cut-your-losses? How would the players play a part in this? Could the players help to avoid it?

The article title alone is frightening. Can FFXIV survive its Player Base? Indicating that maybe it cannot. The article gives specific examples of the internet frenzy that has been bashing FFXIV - sometimes deservedly, and sometimes with complete fabrications. What drives someone to fabricate a chart to make FFXIV look bad? Is this the competition in disguise? Not likely. A disillusioned player looking for revenge? Maybe. An opportunistic internet site looking to capitalize on the latest hot topic? Well, I'd put my money on the latter.

Is it possible this bad press could cause FFXIV fail? Not by itself, no. In my experience, people listen to their friend's estimation of a game more than reviews. If the game fails, it will be because the players that are actually playing FFXIV refuse to recommend it to a friend.

And now we arrive at the crux of the dilemma, FFXIV was not released as a complete and functioning user-friendly fun fest! What can we do about? Feedback is the answer. The White Knights offer no useful feedback. At this point, pleas to "Be patient" and "Wait for the next update" fall on deaf ears. The Trolls point out design flaws, voice clearly and repetitively their dissatisfaction, but offers no solutions, or offers solutions that are clearly designed to instigate arguments.

Thankfully, the majority of these posters have come to common ground over time. The White Knights can no longer ignore that fact that a majority of players are dissatisfied. Many of the Trolls have realized that that most effective argument is one based in reason, stated in a dignified manner, with a suggestion that is possible to implement in the existing framework of the game.

Let's do something about it right now! I offer to you The Priority Poll. Not the first or last of it's kind, but I'd like to know where we stand right now as a Player Base. Please note the wording of the Poll question, which is the exact question I would expect SE to be asking themselves at this very moment.

What is the improvement most likely to make the majority of players happy?
Auction House :7 (16.3%)
Further UI improvement :1 (2.3%)
Ward search function :0 (0.0%)
Airships and Chocobos :4 (9.3%)
More open world quests from NPCs :16 (37.2%)
More Endgame content for 40+ :1 (2.3%)
Focus on the SP system until partying is fun :12 (27.9%)
Modify the Repair system :2 (4.7%)
Total:43


In closing, I predict all the above will be done. In time to revitalize the game? Clearly, SE is hoping for a revival at the PS3 release. To ensure the success of the PS3 release, they are first looking to see some indication of player satisfaction. What will indicate that players are satisfied?

When they start telling their friends to join them in FFXIV.
#63 Dec 20 2010 at 10:59 AM Rating: Excellent
Sage
**
551 posts
RufuSwho wrote:


Poll Removed: No more than one per thread, please!

In closing, I predict all the above will be done. In time to revitalize the game? Clearly, SE is hoping for a revival at the PS3 release. To ensure the success of the PS3 release, they are first looking to see some indication of player satisfaction. What will indicate that players are satisfied?

When they start telling their friends to join them in FFXIV.


It better be all of the above and BEFORE they even think of charging ( I still find it hilarious that their stated intention is to start charging when they've made a plan and not after that plan is executed), or there will be no revival, PS3 or otherwise.
____________________________



#64 Dec 20 2010 at 11:04 AM Rating: Good
***
1,636 posts
daour wrote:
We are playing for free, its an open beta, no need to complain, all we need to do now is make SE understand that for this game to succeed it needs the following, and without it, it will never work:

1-AH, yes we need one and without it things will never work.
2-Chocobo and airships.
3-Mail
4-More slots for trade function.
5-Content, new quests (not guildleves), epic stories.



For the open beta thing to make sense, I would have not had to have paid $75 (well technically I only had to pay $50, but thats beside the point). So yes, we do not pay a monthly fee, but no, this is not free, and I can complain. I don't care how many mountains they move to make it 'right', it still isn't and I have every right to be upset about it.
____________________________


#65 Dec 20 2010 at 11:17 AM Rating: Decent
*
170 posts
RufuSwho wrote:
Are we now considering the possibility of FFXI failing? Will the subscription numbers create a situation for SE that points to cut-your-losses? How would the players play a part in this? Could the players help to avoid it?

The article title alone is frightening. Can FFXIV survive its Player Base? Indicating that maybe it cannot. The article gives specific examples of the internet frenzy that has been bashing FFXIV - sometimes deservedly, and sometimes with complete fabrications. What drives someone to fabricate a chart to make FFXIV look bad? Is this the competition in disguise? Not likely. A disillusioned player looking for revenge? Maybe. An opportunistic internet site looking to capitalize on the latest hot topic? Well, I'd put my money on the latter.

Is it possible this bad press could cause FFXIV fail? Not by itself, no. In my experience, people listen to their friend's estimation of a game more than reviews. If the game fails, it will be because the players that are actually playing FFXIV refuse to recommend it to a friend.

And now we arrive at the crux of the dilemma, FFXIV was not released as a complete and functioning user-friendly fun fest! What can we do about? Feedback is the answer. The White Knights offer no useful feedback. At this point, pleas to "Be patient" and "Wait for the next update" fall on deaf ears. The Trolls point out design flaws, voice clearly and repetitively their dissatisfaction, but offers no solutions, or offers solutions that are clearly designed to instigate arguments.

Thankfully, the majority of these posters have come to common ground over time. The White Knights can no longer ignore that fact that a majority of players are dissatisfied. Many of the Trolls have realized that that most effective argument is one based in reason, stated in a dignified manner, with a suggestion that is possible to implement in the existing framework of the game.


Most would call me a White Knight, but then again I do realize there are problems and most White Knight's don't get credit for offering good points and constructive criticism. Just as most trolls are likely to say 'FFXIV is unsavable, can it and come back for the next one in about 5 years'

A helpful source can be just as valuable as well as a raging one at pointing out flaws, sometimes more so because rather then just spewing hate, solutions are crafted by both sides.


____________________________


#66 Dec 20 2010 at 11:18 AM Rating: Excellent
*****
11,539 posts
KujaKoF wrote:
daour wrote:
We are playing for free, its an open beta, no need to complain, all we need to do now is make SE understand that for this game to succeed it needs the following, and without it, it will never work:

1-AH, yes we need one and without it things will never work.
2-Chocobo and airships.
3-Mail
4-More slots for trade function.
5-Content, new quests (not guildleves), epic stories.



For the open beta thing to make sense, I would have not had to have paid $75 (well technically I only had to pay $50, but thats beside the point). So yes, we do not pay a monthly fee, but no, this is not free, and I can complain. I don't care how many mountains they move to make it 'right', it still isn't and I have every right to be upset about it.


Starcraft II required you to preorder the game to get a beta key. Minecraft just entered Beta today and has been selling preorders since Alpha; you can't play Survival mode without preordering.

I'm not saying you're totally off base, but it's basically an open beta that you had to preorder the game for, you don't lose your progress (unlike "actual" beta where your character data will be wiped on launch), you get the disks and your game is already installed, and if you bought the CE, you got some shineys too.

I still take the Ogre's side, but all of that listed above sounds reasonable to me.

@Elmer: You should have included a poll as to whether people agree with one side or the other; too late now, since there's a poll in the thread already by someone else.

I'm in total agreement that SE tried to win the race by showing up a day early, naked and barefoot, and now they find themselves lying face down on the ground as the competition they wanted to "beat" leaves them in the dust. There are a lot of things I'm unhappy about when it comes to FFXIV, but I have to say that given their situation, I think that their current plan of restructuring and making the game free "until it's fixed" is an admirable one, and certainly above and beyond what I would have expected out of SE, given SE's track record.

As I've said before, they have given themselves the tools to fix the game, they just need to actually fix it.

Of course, the big clincher that I think they're going to flub on is that after they fix it, they need to ADVERTISE that FFXIV has been improved and offer free trials for the people who quit to come back and give it another trial. Advertise to everyone that you can download a 10/14 day free trial from finalfantasyxiv.com (or whatever) and play the game BEFORE you buy it to see if you like it.

And when I say Advertise, I don't just mean "email everyone who had an account", I mean actual ads. Magazines, MMORPG sites, even *gasp* television.

Remember when Squaresoft used to advertise on television, back in the SNES days? You want money, bring that **** back. ****, you even see ads for their non FF titles like Infinite Undiscovery for example, but never their FF titles.

I made a post about how SE needs to consider leaving the Final Fantasy franchise behind and I think this is the reason they don't; they try to save money on advertising their titles by slapping "Final Fantasy" on it and counting on that name to create an automatic buyer base. I'll admit that even though I hated FF13 and I'm not too thrilled about FF14, I would be hard pressed to NOT buy FF15, even if it was a steaming pile of slag, just because it's "a FF game". I'm certainly not the only one who would do this.

Fix it, then shout out from the rooftops that it is fixed. Do not count on word of mouth to do your work for you, because you have ****** off too many people for word of mouth to be effective in bringing this game back.

I'm hoping they can do it.
____________________________
[ffxisig]55836[/ffxisig]

Mikhalia: and FWIW, my posts are 95% helpful, informative, or funny.
Mikhalia: only 5% or less of my posts are utter crap.
Tyapex: 393 posts of utter crap...
Mikhalia: Sounds about right.
#67 Dec 20 2010 at 11:50 AM Rating: Decent
*
220 posts
I'm more of a white knight now,

I have to admit, when I started FFXI I was overwhelmed, chocobos, airships massive cities and amazing quests. I'd browse ZAM all day looking at the fun quests I can do that take me to new places with new dangers and the awesome rewards (Norg quests anyone?).

So ya here I am playing FFXIV and each leve is the same... parties are still a mess, we need the balanced 6 player parties back or something! But when some more content is back I'll give SQEnix a chance, and ya it's free to play, so I'll always be in time to time to check out the new stuff.

A search feature is something I expected from the start though, they need content asap! Fun lower level content, with nice equipment rewards - stuff you can't buy (so ya new items too)... today with everyone wearing bronze haubys and fat wallets, gil isn't very rewarding...

But then you think, back in FFXI a few dex or esp. acc made a huge difference, now even if it did, with 15 people spamming you don't even notice. Sigh... I rather not think about it and let SQEnix have some time...
#68 Dec 20 2010 at 11:54 AM Rating: Good
*
57 posts
Idk there must be something SE knows that we don't. They are letting us play for free until at least the ps3 release when ever that is. If they really thought that this game was going no where wouldn't they just cut their losses instead if spending more $$$ on a new dev team updates ect...and allow free play on top of that? idk how they can afford to let us play for free for so long if they aren't making any profit and loosing money. So maybe its not bad as it is being made out to be or maybe they have something in the works that will guarantee sucess...

Edited, Dec 20th 2010 12:56pm by poisonsenvy
#69 Dec 20 2010 at 1:01 PM Rating: Good
***
1,636 posts
Quote:

Starcraft II required you to preorder the game to get a beta key. Minecraft just entered Beta today and has been selling preorders since Alpha; you can't play Survival mode without preordering.

I'm not saying you're totally off base, but it's basically an open beta that you had to preorder the game for, you don't lose your progress (unlike "actual" beta where your character data will be wiped on launch), you get the disks and your game is already installed, and if you bought the CE, you got some shineys too.


I get your point there, but again we're somewhere between. I paid a $5 deposit on DCU online to get into their beta, but if I didn't like it I can choose not to go ahead purchase the full game when its released.

My point is basically, its not "free", you can't discount that we've all paid full retail price to be doing this. Its not just "open beta" because if you don't like it, you're still out the money.
____________________________


#70 Dec 20 2010 at 1:46 PM Rating: Decent
**
845 posts
If they would give us an AH it would have a better chance of survival.
____________________________

#71 Dec 20 2010 at 1:54 PM Rating: Decent
**
415 posts
SephNex wrote:
Remember it was the trolls who brought new development team, all these free months you are enjoying and all the UI enhancements etc

You're delusional. It wasn't the trolls who brought this change. It was the people who were unhappy and gave SE constructive feedback instead of ******** on the forums all day like most of you pathetic trolls.
#72 Dec 20 2010 at 2:03 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
*
67 posts
White Knight here.

MMO players are generally a vindictive bunch and hold a grudge. SE could make the ultimate patch of awesome with tons of content and fixed bugs and people will STILL bash it and say WoW is better. Any game released that isn't as good as WoW is NOW is a betrayal and the company deserves to go bust, Devs fired and banned from MMOs.

Give SE a break. They are working on it and the free time shows their sincerity. Stop rushing to max level and then complain there is no content. People MUST know there is little if any end content and rushing to the end only to whine about a lack of end game content is very tiresome.

Give them support, give them feedback, let them do their jobs the best they can and stop badmouthing the pupil that is doing their best in a subject they goofed and exam on. Feel free to rate this post down, the truth hurts. :)
#73 Dec 20 2010 at 2:09 PM Rating: Default
Avatar
**
852 posts
Chnmmr wrote:
White Knight here.

MMO players are generally a vindictive bunch and hold a grudge. SE could make the ultimate patch of awesome with tons of content and fixed bugs and people will STILL bash it and say WoW is better. Any game released that isn't as good as WoW is NOW is a betrayal and the company deserves to go bust, Devs fired and banned from MMOs.

Give SE a break. They are working on it and the free time shows their sincerity. Stop rushing to max level and then complain there is no content. People MUST know there is little if any end content and rushing to the end only to whine about a lack of end game content is very tiresome.

Give them support, give them feedback, let them do their jobs the best they can and stop badmouthing the pupil that is doing their best in a subject they goofed and exam on. Feel free to rate this post down, the truth hurts. :)


There's no content at level 1 or any other level. Please tone down the white knightedness.
____________________________
#74 Dec 20 2010 at 2:19 PM Rating: Excellent
*****
11,539 posts
KujaKoF wrote:
Quote:

Starcraft II required you to preorder the game to get a beta key. Minecraft just entered Beta today and has been selling preorders since Alpha; you can't play Survival mode without preordering.

I'm not saying you're totally off base, but it's basically an open beta that you had to preorder the game for, you don't lose your progress (unlike "actual" beta where your character data will be wiped on launch), you get the disks and your game is already installed, and if you bought the CE, you got some shineys too.


I get your point there, but again we're somewhere between. I paid a $5 deposit on DCU online to get into their beta, but if I didn't like it I can choose not to go ahead purchase the full game when its released.

My point is basically, its not "free", you can't discount that we've all paid full retail price to be doing this. Its not just "open beta" because if you don't like it, you're still out the money.


Yeah. I mean, I make more than $75 in half a day's work, so perhaps that could have something to do with why my outlook is "Eh, it's just $75" but I do agree with your general point; it's difficult to validate paying a retail price for a retail product that is in beta condition, even if the company who made it is promising to fix it. Just because I -can- afford it doesn't mean I'm not a cheapass and I do admit I've looked at the TWO collector's edition boxes on my shelf and then looked back at neither my fiancee nor myself being too terribly thrilled about the game in its current state.

I still feel that at this time, making the game free while they fix it is the best possible thing they could do, compared to the alternatives of:

- Shut it down completely and reboot when ready (You'd lose way too many people this way who wouldn't come back)
- Refund everyone's purchase price and have people re-buy it when it's "ready" (too much work to reauthor new disks, reissue them, set a new release date)

So I'm not disagreeing with your point, but I do think that at the current point in time, SE is doing the best that we can realistically expect from them.

Not saying no one has the right to complain about it, just that until it's fixed, there isn't much more we can -realistically- ask for or expect them to do.
____________________________
[ffxisig]55836[/ffxisig]

Mikhalia: and FWIW, my posts are 95% helpful, informative, or funny.
Mikhalia: only 5% or less of my posts are utter crap.
Tyapex: 393 posts of utter crap...
Mikhalia: Sounds about right.
#75 Dec 20 2010 at 2:23 PM Rating: Good
Gadhelyn wrote:
I think both parties are being unreasonable in their extreme optimism or pessimism. Why not those of us that enjoy the game go on enjoying it, those who don't just keep an eye on Lodestone and the forums to see if it improves, and we all wait to react to updates as they get released and see where it goes? Can't we all just get along? Will somebody please think of the children?


^ +1 this. Please take a step back and try and put things into perspective. There are post ranging from SE as god-heads to ppl saying the reason they troll is to save ppl from SE's tyranny...when do either of those statements sound even remotely logical?

Edited, Dec 20th 2010 12:24pm by SkinwalkerAsura
#76 Dec 20 2010 at 2:25 PM Rating: Decent
*
170 posts
hexaemeron wrote:
Chnmmr wrote:
White Knight here.

MMO players are generally a vindictive bunch and hold a grudge. SE could make the ultimate patch of awesome with tons of content and fixed bugs and people will STILL bash it and say WoW is better. Any game released that isn't as good as WoW is NOW is a betrayal and the company deserves to go bust, Devs fired and banned from MMOs.

Give SE a break. They are working on it and the free time shows their sincerity. Stop rushing to max level and then complain there is no content. People MUST know there is little if any end content and rushing to the end only to whine about a lack of end game content is very tiresome.

Give them support, give them feedback, let them do their jobs the best they can and stop badmouthing the pupil that is doing their best in a subject they goofed and exam on. Feel free to rate this post down, the truth hurts. :)


There's no content at level 1 or any other level. Please tone down the white knightedness.


Main quest line
Class Quest 20, 30, 36 for all classes (armorer/blacksmith combined for story reasons)
3000~ Crafting recipes
100+ Repeatable scalable difficulty quests, leves.
Mining, Fishing, Botany and their secondary nodes.
NMs both instanced and open world.
Event for Christmas next one for Advent

Just because you don't LIKE the content doesn't mean it doesn't exist. No content is a barren world with nothing at all to do, see, or try. Considering how most people grind coblyn or efts in the old days content = grind and even those people don't grind all classes or even one to 50.

____________________________


#77 Dec 20 2010 at 2:25 PM Rating: Good
***
3,178 posts
hexaemeron wrote:
There's no content at level 1 or any other level. Please tone down the white knightedness.


Classic example. A claim that is not backed by facts - actually the opposite is true. No suggestion for improvement is given. This is followed by a polite request that another poster not share their opinions.

This is in no way helpful. Responding to such is pointless. However, if trolls eat coconuts then you're in luck!
I've got a lovely bunch of coconuts.
#78 Dec 20 2010 at 2:53 PM Rating: Decent
Avatar
**
852 posts
RufuSwho wrote:
hexaemeron wrote:
There's no content at level 1 or any other level. Please tone down the white knightedness.


Classic example. A claim that is not backed by facts - actually the opposite is true. No suggestion for improvement is given. This is followed by a polite request that another poster not share their opinions.

This is in no way helpful. Responding to such is pointless. However, if trolls eat coconuts then you're in luck!
I've got a lovely bunch of coconuts.


Please add content for all levels.
____________________________
#79 Dec 20 2010 at 2:58 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
283 posts
Mikhalia the Picky wrote:

Starcraft II required you to preorder the game to get a beta key.


Blizzard has never not one time required you buy or preorder anything to get into beta. I was in the SC2 beta. Did not preorder the game. Infact I have been in almost every Blizzard beta from Diablo 2 too now. The only game I ever preorderd in my life was Mass Effect 2. A bioware game not Blizzard.
#80 Dec 20 2010 at 3:02 PM Rating: Decent
Avatar
**
676 posts
Quote:
The trolls are the reason why this game is getting fixed or you white knights would still

be happy with release ffxiv.
There's a big difference between complaining and leaving constructive feedback. I see trolls as the ones who won't be satisfied no matter what they get, because they've already made up their mind that FFXIV will always suck. There were certainly some big issues when FFXIV was released, which im glad they fixed, and there's still a few left to work on.

Being a 'white knight' doesn't mean ignoring it's obvious faults, it means defending what the game can potentially be.
____________________________

FFXI: Siren Server: Seiowan Lvl 99 WHM, SCH, BLM
FFXIV: Ragnarok Server: Lemuria Glitterhands All Classes 50
#81 Dec 20 2010 at 3:05 PM Rating: Excellent
*****
11,539 posts
Sethern79 wrote:
Mikhalia the Picky wrote:

Starcraft II required you to preorder the game to get a beta key.


Blizzard has never not one time required you buy or preorder anything to get into beta. I was in the SC2 beta. Did not preorder the game. Infact I have been in almost every Blizzard beta from Diablo 2 too now. The only game I ever preorderd in my life was Mass Effect 2. A bioware game not Blizzard.


I had to preorder to get a beta key. *shrug*

Glitterhands wrote:
Quote:
The trolls are the reason why this game is getting fixed or you white knights would still

be happy with release ffxiv.
There's a big difference between complaining and leaving constructive feedback. I see trolls as the ones who won't be satisfied no matter what they get, because they've already made up their mind that FFXIV will always suck. There were certainly some big issues when FFXIV was released, which im glad they fixed, and there's still a few left to work on.

Being a 'white knight' doesn't mean ignoring it's obvious faults, it means defending what the game can potentially be.


Perhaps arguing over terminology, but regardless of what you want to call them, there are people who will never be happy with FFXIV no matter what and there are people for whom no matter how terrible FFXIV could possibly become, they would still defend it to the death.

If you aren't somewhere in the middle of those two, you're a lost cause. Most sane posters are, but there are a few people who are so far out there that they've already made up their mind and nothing could ever change it.
____________________________
[ffxisig]55836[/ffxisig]

Mikhalia: and FWIW, my posts are 95% helpful, informative, or funny.
Mikhalia: only 5% or less of my posts are utter crap.
Tyapex: 393 posts of utter crap...
Mikhalia: Sounds about right.
#82 Dec 20 2010 at 3:17 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
283 posts
Mikhalia the Picky wrote:
Sethern79 wrote:
Mikhalia the Picky wrote:

Starcraft II required you to preorder the game to get a beta key.


Blizzard has never not one time required you buy or preorder anything to get into beta. I was in the SC2 beta. Did not preorder the game. Infact I have been in almost every Blizzard beta from Diablo 2 too now. The only game I ever preorderd in my life was Mass Effect 2. A bioware game not Blizzard.


I had to preorder to get a beta key. *shrug*



No you could get a beta key with a preorder. But you could also get beta by singing up for the beta and waiting for them to select you for beta. Sure a lot of games offer the beta to sell more preorders. But they never required it. infact 90% of the time geting into beta from a preorder is around the end of the beta.

Most people in Blizzard betas come from people who singed up for the beta. the next bulk of testers are people who went to Blizzcon. Preorders would of been the last people to get into beta.

None of this really matters. SE did not sell us a preorder with a beta key. They sold us a game that should never been sold. This game should just now be geting into beta. But no its retail now. And as a retail game it sucks! If this was still a real beta I would not be so down on the game.
#83 Dec 20 2010 at 4:05 PM Rating: Excellent
Scholar
Avatar
***
1,235 posts
I kept my "meh" feeling about the update to myself, as I was maybe in a negative spot with the game, and it was clouding my judgement. I'm glad to read others felt the same about the update being bleh.

I mean really what did we get?

Extras retainers for wards that already couldn't handle the retainer load, and had/have been crashing left and right.

NM's accessed by a rather large amount of faction points that give you access to nice looking armor, with rather average stats.

A crafting menu that really only eases a synth that uses a large amount of materials. It actually adds an extra menu to leve crafting if you use it, and is not the very intelligent recommendation from the player-base of a simple "repeat" button.

Holiday event, yeah it's fun, there's no arguing that, but that's not a game improvement update, that's an event, and not to be included in an assesment of judging the updates we're really talking about here.

Truth be told, I haven't been impressed by any update stuff except for the UI response improvement, and let's face it, that's not something they should have released in the state it was in pre-update. So as they say, I'm not going to pat you on the back for doing the basics of your job.
I keep biting on the hook:
The next update is going to fix that, that's going to be in the XXX month update, "we signed on a whole new dev team".
At some point, and I personally am already getting close, people are going to just not have faith in the next "hook".

I stand by my original assesment of this last update. It was meh.
____________________________


"Don't take it personally man, white knights would eat a can of **** if the label said SE on it. If anyone dared mention that it was not a good product, they'd just argue if someone can't appreciate the subtle nuances in the ****, they should just go back to eating lolrealfood, cuz the devs prolly know more about canning food than they do."
#84 Dec 20 2010 at 4:40 PM Rating: Decent
*****
11,539 posts
Sethern79 wrote:
Mikhalia the Picky wrote:
Sethern79 wrote:
Mikhalia the Picky wrote:

Starcraft II required you to preorder the game to get a beta key.


Blizzard has never not one time required you buy or preorder anything to get into beta. I was in the SC2 beta. Did not preorder the game. Infact I have been in almost every Blizzard beta from Diablo 2 too now. The only game I ever preorderd in my life was Mass Effect 2. A bioware game not Blizzard.


I had to preorder to get a beta key. *shrug*



No you could get a beta key with a preorder. But you could also get beta by singing up for the beta and waiting for them to select you for beta. Sure a lot of games offer the beta to sell more preorders. But they never required it. infact 90% of the time geting into beta from a preorder is around the end of the beta.

Most people in Blizzard betas come from people who singed up for the beta. the next bulk of testers are people who went to Blizzcon. Preorders would of been the last people to get into beta.

None of this really matters. SE did not sell us a preorder with a beta key. They sold us a game that should never been sold. This game should just now be geting into beta. But no its retail now. And as a retail game it sucks! If this was still a real beta I would not be so down on the game.


Okay, well what's done is done. It's unfortunate, but the thing to focus on now is how to improve the game. Captain Hindsight will not help us here.
____________________________
[ffxisig]55836[/ffxisig]

Mikhalia: and FWIW, my posts are 95% helpful, informative, or funny.
Mikhalia: only 5% or less of my posts are utter crap.
Tyapex: 393 posts of utter crap...
Mikhalia: Sounds about right.
#85 Dec 20 2010 at 4:57 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
554 posts
Quote:

Okay, well what's done is done. It's unfortunate, but the thing to focus on now is how to improve the game. Captain Hindsight will not help us here.


Did some one just say Captain Hindsight!

http://www.bradmcquaid.com/Brad_McQuaid/Blog/Entries/2009/6/29_Vanguard__Post-mortem_Part_1.html


I lost count at how many time he said "hindsight" in that blog >.>

Ah heck I just reread the 4 part blog and he changed a lot of his "hindsight 20/20" comments to "looking back" , meh same thing I guess...

Edited, Dec 20th 2010 6:10pm by Devildawgs
#86 Dec 20 2010 at 5:19 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
*
66 posts
The reason all the fanboys and FFXI playerbase that SE may or may not have been relying on turned against them is because the game does in fact suck, admittedly to a somewhat lesser degree than before but still not nearly enough to claw its way out of the grave.
#87 Dec 20 2010 at 5:26 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
1,536 posts
FFXIV has two outs compared to past MMO failures based on poor launches. ONE: Its a Final Fantasy title that has a large following to begin with and an MMO that is still running to date with people who might be ready to jump ship when this game is better (and people that know what SE can do and know what FFXIV *can* be, otherwise they wouldn't have stayed with FFXI for so long). TWO: the PS3 release. If this game is cleaned up for PS3 release with bug fixes, more UI fixes, and more content then there is no reason it wont take off...no other MMO can say that considering FF is the only MMO that goes to consoles. Considering, too, that this game is heading in the right direction as the last two updates have shown us there is no reason to believe it wont come out of the hole its dug itself, its just gonna need some time.

However I think SE had really high hopes for this game and those dreams will probably never be realized anymore no matter how good this game might become down the road. I still can't wrap it around my head how they even thought this game was playable at release and rushed it out the gate that quickly but what's done is done I guess - I really wanna see this game succeed and will be here 'til that happens...or the opposite happens.

EDIT: at the very least, SE should've had a working battle system by launch, something engaging both solo and party. I'm really loving soloing right now but sometimes I sit back and think how much faster that 9k sp would go by if I was doing it in a party (even if the sp gain is the game). If they can manage to make party play a good option (or simply an option at this point) by maybe starting by reducing party size from 15 to 6, 7 or 8 members max and getting some more definitions for roles maybe we can have a more functional party system rather than the spray and pray mess it is right now.

Edited, Dec 20th 2010 6:30pm by SolidMack
____________________________
MUTED
#88 Dec 20 2010 at 6:03 PM Rating: Excellent
*
137 posts
SoumaKyou wrote:
SephNex wrote:
Remember it was the trolls who brought new development team, all these free months you are enjoying and all the UI enhancements etc

You're delusional. It wasn't the trolls who brought this change. It was the people who were unhappy and gave SE constructive feedback instead of ******** on the forums all day like most of you pathetic trolls.


You are both wrong.

It was the huge number of cancelled accounts and player population dropping every month. No constructive feedback or ******** got SE to do anything. All the ******** and feedback were given to them in beta. Did they listen? No, **** no. It wasn't until it hurt their bottom line before SE kicked it into high gear.

The majority of players gave them feedback. The biggest feedback of all. That's CANCEL ACCOUNT! This is what have gotten the free months, new patch, and new team.
#89 Dec 20 2010 at 7:18 PM Rating: Decent
***
2,202 posts
So how about we get back to topic <.< ?

Will it or will it not survive ?
____________________________
MUTED
#90 Dec 20 2010 at 9:36 PM Rating: Default
*
57 posts
SolidMack wrote:

I'm really loving soloing right now but sometimes I sit back and think how much faster that 9k sp would go by if I was doing it in a party (even if the sp gain is the game). If they can manage to make party play a good option (or simply an option at this point) by maybe starting by reducing party size from 15 to 6, 7 or 8 members max and getting some more definitions for roles maybe we can have a more functional party system rather than the spray and pray mess it is right now.


When you hit R20+ you'll see you'll have to party R30+ soloing is pointless

Behest/leve party's and Grind partys in between is how you rank up 20+
fyi the party system is fine you just have to know how to use it this is not FF11

Ostia wrote:
So how about we get back to topic <.< ?

Will it or will it not survive ?


I think it will survive if they can get every thing fixed and release the ps3 version no later than May 2011. If not I think its over...Although I think they can do it.

Edited, Dec 20th 2010 10:40pm by poisonsenvy
#91 Dec 20 2010 at 10:53 PM Rating: Good
**
291 posts
Couple things here.

I'm on the fence. I'm not an extremist. In certain contexts I defend the game and in others I berate it (and the dev team, who I grew to hate since XI). I think the one thing SE needs to turn around their rampant "SE hate" is better PR especially in XI & XIV. Don't get me wrong; it has gotten better, but I'm talking a huge overhaul.

I think if SE was more open with their consumers we (as a whole) would (have been?) more understanding. I personally hate Tanaka (personally and individually) for the amount of inaccurate excuses he gave over the state of XI. I was ****** to see him in charge of XIV but I thought I'd give it a go - and I like it (for the most part) and I'm glad some new team will improve upon this foundation.

I feel like if Square Enix came out and explained their reasons for not having an Auction House and why they feel Retainers are better suited for the game and told us they understand our frustration and explained (in detail) how they plan to improve and where they see the Retainer system in 2 months, 6 months, 12 months - They don't even have to meet these goals! (Maybe for some they do, but for me I'd be comforted just to know what they're thinking!) They could come back in 2 months and say "Sorry, because of -detailed explanation- it's going to be another 2 months until this service is the way we described it.

Instead (and as always with Square Enix) we're left in the dark. They reassure us that they're listening and that they're working on things, but we don't see it. We don't have the kind of access to their plans that we should as paying customers. I can think of a lot of reasons to do this, but most of them are mostly a distrust in their customers, which is sad. Trust should be both ways - but with Tanaka's team I'd say there was never any trust - and as Aurelius said earlier it's being carried into XIV.

Example in XIV already: Tanaka said they did not "rush" XIV to beat Cataclysm or other big name MMO titles to the market. Who believes this? I don't. I'm pretty sure you don't.

Communication is a lot better - but it's been 12 days (2 days short of 2 weeks) since the development team was reorganized and we haven't heard a peep out of why this no-name guy is director, what kind of vision he has for XIV and WHY WE SHOULD KEEP PLAYING. Instead we got "don't worry. We got this. Keep playing. Rest assured." That's about as LOL as Yellow Gremlin's updater saying "Don't worry. There's no malicious code. It's safe." Saying those things doesn't make me feel better (in some cases it makes me more skeptical).

Can't forget that a-hat Wada (who thinks sales of Chrono Trigger 2nd re-release on DS is any indication of fan interest in the Chrono series) telling us Yoshida is a developer who cares about the player. Really? Yeah. We heard all about that from so many rave reviews of people who played his games. Oh wait. No, most of us haven't even heard of any of his games, much less his dedication to customer satisfaction. LOL

Another note @ Mikhalia (and others):

It's not "Free til it's Fixed." Good Lord, I wish that it was. They said it's free until they get their heads out of their asses and have an outline for the future. So in 1 regard, the longer they don't have this plan the longer it will be free - but the longer they put off this kind of "intimate" developer/consumer input and interaction the more damage they're doing to themselves and their credibility.

-----
PS: Call me cynical, but I wholeheartedly believe Square Enix does not give a crap about our feedback. They have limited time to change my opinion on that and I've outlined how but that's just how I feel. I agree canceled accounts and their shareholders throwing a gigantic fit is what got anything done at all. It certainly wasn't "our" opinion of the game. That's just my opinion, though, that I've developed over the decade (almost) I played XI and dealt with their teams (devs, GMs, tech support).
____________________________
Battle Mage Kiru
#92 Dec 20 2010 at 10:57 PM Rating: Good
***
1,636 posts
Mikhalia the Picky wrote:
KujaKoF wrote:
Quote:

Starcraft II required you to preorder the game to get a beta key. Minecraft just entered Beta today and has been selling preorders since Alpha; you can't play Survival mode without preordering.

I'm not saying you're totally off base, but it's basically an open beta that you had to preorder the game for, you don't lose your progress (unlike "actual" beta where your character data will be wiped on launch), you get the disks and your game is already installed, and if you bought the CE, you got some shineys too.


I get your point there, but again we're somewhere between. I paid a $5 deposit on DCU online to get into their beta, but if I didn't like it I can choose not to go ahead purchase the full game when its released.

My point is basically, its not "free", you can't discount that we've all paid full retail price to be doing this. Its not just "open beta" because if you don't like it, you're still out the money.


Yeah. I mean, I make more than $75 in half a day's work, so perhaps that could have something to do with why my outlook is "Eh, it's just $75" but I do agree with your general point; it's difficult to validate paying a retail price for a retail product that is in beta condition, even if the company who made it is promising to fix it. Just because I -can- afford it doesn't mean I'm not a cheapass and I do admit I've looked at the TWO collector's edition boxes on my shelf and then looked back at neither my fiancee nor myself being too terribly thrilled about the game in its current state.

I still feel that at this time, making the game free while they fix it is the best possible thing they could do, compared to the alternatives of:

- Shut it down completely and reboot when ready (You'd lose way too many people this way who wouldn't come back)
- Refund everyone's purchase price and have people re-buy it when it's "ready" (too much work to reauthor new disks, reissue them, set a new release date)

So I'm not disagreeing with your point, but I do think that at the current point in time, SE is doing the best that we can realistically expect from them.

Not saying no one has the right to complain about it, just that until it's fixed, there isn't much more we can -realistically- ask for or expect them to do.



yeah, I agree with you just about 100%. The $75 didn't exactly break my bank, but i'm not rolling in money where I'm happy about it being a loss.

In the end, I just hate the argument "its free you have no right to complain" because its not free. There is no opt out at this point. They're doing everything they can to improve their product, and I do appreciate that from them. I don't expect them to do anything else about it. But it wasn't free. This isnt open beta, its pure damage control.
____________________________


#93 Dec 21 2010 at 12:02 AM Rating: Good
Sage
***
1,500 posts
KujaKoF wrote:
In the end, I just hate the argument "its free you have no right to complain" because its not free. There is no opt out at this point. They're doing everything they can to improve their product, and I do appreciate that from them. I don't expect them to do anything else about it. But it wasn't free. This isnt open beta, its pure damage control.
I think the bottom line in the free vs non-free argument is that even if we are not paying a monthly fee for the game right now, we have no control on when we are going to be charged for it.

I mean non of those Korean F2P MMORPG out there ask me for my credit card information to start playing, or even worse force me to purchase some company points (AKA Crysta) to back up my trial period subscription.

We have a right to complain because we actually choose to pay a subscription game expecting certain degree of quality, and naturally we'll be upset if it isn't there.

Extending the trial period doesn't fulfill our wish to play a game worth to pay a subscription fee for.

Ken

Edit: typo

Edited, Dec 21st 2010 6:04am by kenage
____________________________
"Maybe it means: you're the evil man, and I'm the righteous man, and Mr. Nine-millimeter here, he's the shepherd protecting my righteous *** in the Valley of Darkness." - Jules.
FFXIV: Mabel Rand (Gugnir)
FFXI: Kenage, retired.
K&K forever!,
#94 Dec 21 2010 at 12:16 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
***
1,536 posts
Quote:
Behest/leve party's and Grind partys in between is how you rank up 20+
fyi the party system is fine you just have to know how to use it this is not FF11


What's wrong with options? keep your behest and leve SP, I personally hate leves and I wanna grind mobs in a party...and either way, be it leves or behests or grinding, party play is a zerging mess right now - I just want that fixed and you can level how you want and I can level how I want. And for the record, SE had said over and over repeatedly before the game's release that levequests aren't supposed to be the main form of leveling, I don't see how with the game being how it is right now...leves are the ONLY way of leveling, I don't want that.
____________________________
MUTED
#95 Dec 21 2010 at 12:58 AM Rating: Decent
Avatar
**
676 posts
Anyone else noticing the trend here? Anyone who says positive comments about the game has their posts karma-bombed while anyone who says negative comments gets the rate ups. I personally don't care about karma, but it's amusing to see people who's only method of argument is to sub-default all positive comments so they're not viewed by default. If you're going to counterpoint someone, at least have the good grace to do it vocally.

Quote:
There's no content at level 1 or any other level. Please tone down the white knightedness.
Right, because there are no story quests (Hint, there is one every 5 ranks), levequests (Hint, you can get these from any of the blue counters) and no diversions in the game at all (Hint, if combat isn't your thing, try crafting). Sorry, but content is things you can do.

If you want to start getting technical, FFXI doesn't really have 'content' until you hit level 30 and start doing some of the proper missions. There are a handful of small quests you can do, and the first couple of story missions (where you don't really engage with much of the story either) most of which revolve around killing a monster and getting a drop.

Of course FFXIV doesn't have all the story missions in it yet. Heck, FFXI went ages before finishing even the Chains of Promathia storyline, and Wings of the Goddess for that matter. Content is something that starts off with in moderation and continues to grow as the game develops. A lot of the trolls make it sound like they expect a wealth of quests and missions from day one, and I don't ever recall ANY MMO having that on release except perhaps Guild Wars.

Quote:
We the trolls are not here fighting SE but also fighting the blind white knights who want to pull innocent souls toward their garbage game, I'm an HNM troll and i will not allow any innocent soul to read this thread in case they were wondering if they should play the game or not so I'm here to show the other dark side of this game, The white knights will not take us down and we will fight for equal rights for the sake of humanity since once you play FFXIV your soul is lost forever.
You, the trolls, are wasting your time preaching to players who have already made up their mind, one way or another. You don't like the game, don't play it. You play the game but want to see improvements made to the current issues? Then make a suggestion for SE to take on board.

Why people waste their time complaining about a game they don't play and don't care to play is beyond me. The only reason I can see for it is that they DO enjoy playing the game, they just don't want to mention it in the hopes that their 'tough love' will see SE bow to their whims and add in every little feature they desire. Constructive feedback is always better received than mindless complaining.
____________________________

FFXI: Siren Server: Seiowan Lvl 99 WHM, SCH, BLM
FFXIV: Ragnarok Server: Lemuria Glitterhands All Classes 50
#96 Dec 21 2010 at 1:39 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
283 posts
Glitterhands wrote:
A lot of the trolls make it sound like they expect a wealth of quests and missions from day one, and I don't ever recall ANY MMO having that on release except perhaps Guild Wars.

Gesing you did not play WoW or EQ2? Not the only games to have em but 2 Im sure you should atleast know the name of. Its BS coments like this that are a whiteknights bread and butter. Its like the facts are not in your favor so you gota make sh*t up to make your argument hold water.

Edited, Dec 21st 2010 2:40am by Sethern79
#97 Dec 21 2010 at 1:44 AM Rating: Good
Avatar
**
852 posts
Glitterhands wrote:
Anyone else noticing the trend here? Anyone who says positive comments about the game has their posts karma-bombed while anyone who says negative comments gets the rate ups. I personally don't care about karma, but it's amusing to see people who's only method of argument is to sub-default all positive comments so they're not viewed by default. If you're going to counterpoint someone, at least have the good grace to do it vocally.

Quote:
There's no content at level 1 or any other level. Please tone down the white knightedness.
Right, because there are no story quests (Hint, there is one every 5 ranks), levequests (Hint, you can get these from any of the blue counters) and no diversions in the game at all (Hint, if combat isn't your thing, try crafting). Sorry, but content is things you can do.

If you want to start getting technical, FFXI doesn't really have 'content' until you hit level 30 and start doing some of the proper missions. There are a handful of small quests you can do, and the first couple of story missions (where you don't really engage with much of the story either) most of which revolve around killing a monster and getting a drop.

Of course FFXIV doesn't have all the story missions in it yet. Heck, FFXI went ages before finishing even the Chains of Promathia storyline, and Wings of the Goddess for that matter. Content is something that starts off with in moderation and continues to grow as the game develops. A lot of the trolls make it sound like they expect a wealth of quests and missions from day one, and I don't ever recall ANY MMO having that on release except perhaps Guild Wars.

Quote:
We the trolls are not here fighting SE but also fighting the blind white knights who want to pull innocent souls toward their garbage game, I'm an HNM troll and i will not allow any innocent soul to read this thread in case they were wondering if they should play the game or not so I'm here to show the other dark side of this game, The white knights will not take us down and we will fight for equal rights for the sake of humanity since once you play FFXIV your soul is lost forever.
You, the trolls, are wasting your time preaching to players who have already made up their mind, one way or another. You don't like the game, don't play it. You play the game but want to see improvements made to the current issues? Then make a suggestion for SE to take on board.

Why people waste their time complaining about a game they don't play and don't care to play is beyond me. The only reason I can see for it is that they DO enjoy playing the game, they just don't want to mention it in the hopes that their 'tough love' will see SE bow to their whims and add in every little feature they desire. Constructive feedback is always better received than mindless complaining.


Wow. Can you hear me all the way out there in outer space, Glitterhands? Seriously, what planet do you live on, because really:

1.) If you think cutscenes are content, you're wrong.
2.) If you think that leves are content, you're hilariously wrong.
3.) If you think WoW and EQ2 didn't launch with hundreds of lore-centered quests and a dozen or more lore-steeped dungeon areas AND endgame content, you're not just wrong; you're quite disconnected from reality.

I'm sorry it takes so little for you to be entertained. Some of us, and well, by the reaction to 14, A LOT of us, require more.

Edited, Dec 21st 2010 2:46am by hexaemeron
____________________________
#98 Dec 21 2010 at 2:08 AM Rating: Good
****
9,526 posts
SolidMack wrote:
party play is a zerging mess right now


/sigh

It is what you make it. You know SE doesn't choose the mobs you skill on. They don't make you five shot coblyns.

If you choose to be a slave to SP per hour instead of enjoying the game or even experimenting and enjoying the game - that is your choice.

I rarely party - but when I do I want to fight stuff that is fun to kick around. I don't play to get from point a to point b as fast as possible. I enjoy being in the world and interacting with the other players. This game forces a lot of interaction.

I like that. The interaction in XI was soley based on partying combat jobs - in XIV you interact for repairs, for parties, for synthing, for sourcing materials, etc.

... I get that this game has issues. But you know when I got frustrated with XIV I downloaded LOTRO and started a new character.

I couldn't stand it. The game pushing me to do a quest every five steps with questgivers with giant glowing rings over their heads...?

I didn't even manage an entire evening's play session.

So yeah - I hear that people are unhappy with the state of FFXIV - but I think it is offering me something I am looking for in a game. If that makes me a white knight, so be it. Proud.
____________________________
lolgaxe wrote:
When it comes to sitting around not doing anything for long periods of time, only being active for short windows, and marginal changes and sidegrades I'd say FFXI players were the perfect choice for politicians.


#99 Dec 21 2010 at 2:24 AM Rating: Decent
**
595 posts
Albinos Troll here !

Glitterhands wrote:
Quote:
There's no content at level 1 or any other level. Please tone down the white knightedness.
Right, because there are no story quests (Hint, there is one every 5 ranks), levequests (Hint, you can get these from any of the blue counters) and no diversions in the game at all (Hint, if combat isn't your thing, try crafting). Sorry, but content is things you can do.

If you want to start getting technical, FFXI doesn't really have 'content' until you hit level 30 and start doing some of the proper missions. There are a handful of small quests you can do, and the first couple of story missions (where you don't really engage with much of the story either) most of which revolve around killing a monster and getting a drop.


Leve can't reasonably be included in "quest" or "story" categories, however you define them. Leve are "grind", plain and simple.
I agree with your other points and since they have lowered the req to reach level 20, I have been able to do quite a bit of quests and most are quite good, some of them are actually quite fun (lvl 30 miner for example).
I miss some more quest volume(sub-job, advanced job, sleepga-2, SOB etc....) but it is just the start, for now I'm not (yet) dying from content (but I took a 1month+ break ended recently, for personal reason and because I wasn't having much fun)

Point is the game is really moving in the right direction now. Not quite there yet, but moving toward there quite fast, a lot faster than I expected from SE given their records...

To be honest, If you exclude all the crap they did by releasing the game early, ignoring the beta comments etc. and just focus on what they have done since 1month after release (when their shareholders went crazy, their semester results sank etc.), I don't think they could have done a better job in this short timeframe.
their damage control option were limited and they took the best one, they are improving the game fast, they changed the developpement team (I know a lot of players who just wanted Tanaka fired to set an example, that's the closest you can get to that in a *** company ^^).
sure more transparency would be welcomed and we are not just yet where the game is uber fun to play (need to fix the party SP gain and the party incentive/team-play next now, then content) but overall, their attitude since beginning of november is showing how important this game is to them (and possibly their bottom line, even though I have trouble understanding why, unless they had totally unrealistic ambition for it).
This by itself is my best hope for the game.

Albinos Troll has spoken ^^



Edited, Dec 21st 2010 3:31am by Anurid
#100 Dec 21 2010 at 2:29 AM Rating: Decent
25 posts
it's really sad knowing people are pleased with this game now as they were when it first

was released... it makes me wonder if these people can fully appreciate patches to the game

because they would still be playing this wreck if SE did nothing.



are your expectations for a game released in 2010 so low? its sad you people accept garbage

that's fed to you like this, the game can't recover, its a ghost town now and it will be

that way in a year from now.. sorry *blind knights*
#101 Dec 21 2010 at 2:45 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
**
386 posts
ThadCastle wrote:
it's really sad knowing people are pleased with this game now as they were when it first

was released... it makes me wonder if these people can fully appreciate patches to the game

because they would still be playing this wreck if SE did nothing.



are your expectations for a game released in 2010 so low? its sad you people accept garbage

that's fed to you like this, the game can't recover, its a ghost town now and it will be

that way in a year from now.. sorry *blind knights*


Goodbye then? Or do you have a reason for hanging around forums for a game that "can't recover"? I'm certainly not one to turn a blind eye to problems in this game and will gladly point out what I see is wrong and if possible offer an idea to fix it. But if you think the game is doomed and nothing anyone does will improve it, then there's really nothing to say but leave.
This forum is read only
This Forum is Read Only!
Recent Visitors: 20 All times are in CST
Anonymous Guests (20)