Forum Settings
       
This Forum is Read Only

Can FFXIV Survive Its Player Base?Follow

#252 Dec 28 2010 at 7:12 PM Rating: Decent
45 posts
SoumaKyou wrote:
^ And so we reach the point I was making.

Congratulations, you people have just found out that you're allowed to have your own opinions, and others are too.

P.S. FF7 being complete crap is fact, not opinion.

P.P.S. If you think FFXIV is hard to run, try running BC2. Makes you appreciate the fact that this game is actually playable at acceptable frame rates without having a ridiculous PC.

Edited, Dec 28th 2010 7:48pm by SoumaKyou


Yes, we are all allowed to have our opinions.

Unfortunately, you don't seem to know what the word "opinion" means, as you still state your opinion about FF7 as if it's fact. Here's the difference between opinion and fact:

Opinion: FF7 is crap.

Fact: FF7 is the most popular Final Fantasy in the series.

Opinion: FF7 is overrated.

Fact: FF7 has quite literally the biggest fanbase of any Final Fantasy that exists.

See the difference? If your opinion was actually a fact, none of the above stated facts would be true. Here, these links should help:

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/fact

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/opinion

But enough digressing from the subject. One mod has already hinted that we should stay on topic in this thread. If you want to debate about your opinions about FF7, go start a thread on it. Anyways, here's some more facts for you:

FFXIV is failing. Miserably. The playerbase is all but nonexistent. If the game was really found appealing enough by enough people, that wouldn't be. Unfortunately it is, and so therefore Squeenix is working hard trying to save the sinking ship that is FFXIV. Yes, opinions are not facts. But opinions can lead to facts. You know, like this:

Opinion: FFXIV, as it is now, is a pile of dog *****.

Fact: Due to most people who have played the game having the above opinion, FFXIV is dangerously close to complete and utter failure.

See, in the world of video games, majority rules, as it's the majority who decided the fate of the game.


P.S.: If you have to compare one failing game to another game that may have failed (as far as you believe) worse just to make that game look good, then here's a tip: SOMETHING IS TERRIBLY WRONG. Also, you have missed the point. By a milestone.

Edited, Dec 28th 2010 8:16pm by SasukeYuchiha
#253SoumaKyou, Posted: Dec 28 2010 at 8:15 PM, Rating: Sub-Default, (Expand Post) Aww, it's cute that you got offended by my sarcasm. It obviously went way over your head, and it's too bad that you went through all that effort to try and explain what an opinion is. Truth be told, I could care less what you think about FF7, or FFXIV for that matter. You're the one wasting your time on the forums of a game you dislike.
#254 Dec 28 2010 at 9:20 PM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
****
4,775 posts
SoumaKyou wrote:

1. My $700 rig runs the game almost as well as my $1200 rig, as do other peoples' $700 rigs. Not all of us purchased overpriced PC's from Dell and Alienware.

2. It's been free-to-play since launch. That's $30-80 depending on which version you bought, and when. Considering you're talking strictly about price in this statement, FFXIV is a lot cheaper from a monthly standpoint.

3. Yet another person comparing the content of a game launch to that of a game launch plus expansion. Nothing to see here.

4. WoW is WoW. It's a mainstream game that you're comparing to a niche game. If you prefer mainstream games, you obviously don't fit the niche, and so you are obviously playing the wrong game.

5. FFXIV is still in beta. Basically we're testing the game for the PS3 players, much like the JP players tested FFXI for NA.


Are you implying you built or upgraded your rig yourself? If that's the case, you have to figure that not everyone has the ability or time to do so thus it's a moot point. I'd wager more people purchased an over-priced rig than built one from scratch so my numbers stand. The frame rate is terrible without without a high-end graphics card and system. The CPU and graphics card alone is more than 700 bucks.

Are you serious? FFXIV is only "free" because it failed to meet the expectations of the public. It's basically in Beta phase "again" because of this failure. The fact that people paid 59 or 75 bucks for CE for a Beta game is kinda meh. We still don't know if these deficiencies will be fixed.

I'm comparing the standard of what's expected now versus SE previous releases. You can't have less content and a game plagued with interface problems and expect people to be ok with that. There is more competition now than there ever was when FFXI launched. Why would you have less content and a less polished game with this much competition out there? SE claimed they were targeting both casual and hardcore players alike. I dispute the claim that FFXIV is the the same niche as FFXI for whatever your reasons.

According to SE, the game was finished. While I agree that the game is in "Beta" phase now, I hardly call that the same thing as FFXI's JP testing. As a matter of fact, if you knew your history you know that FFXI was never supposed to be released outside of Japan. A good number of JP were upset when SE announced a NA launch.

I'm curious if you're a fanboy of FFXIV or you just enjoy arguing for no reason.
#255 Dec 28 2010 at 9:21 PM Rating: Excellent
Scholar
****
9,997 posts
Quote:
P.S. FF7 being complete crap is fact, not opinion.


Sarcasm or not, way to completely invalidate your commentary. "Overrated" is a defensible critical position. "Complete crap" is not. Usually even when people say "overrated" they mean along the vein of 9/10 instead of 10/10. "Not my favorite game, which should be getting the attention FF7 elicits," is the honest answer.

Stereotyping the fanbase of a game that came out over a decade ago makes you look like an utter and complete fool
____________________________
Hyrist wrote:
Ok, now we're going to get slash fiction of Wint x Kachi somehere... rule 34 and all...

Never confuse your inference as the listener for an implication of the speaker.

Good games are subjective like good food is subjective. You're not going to seriously tell me that there's not a psychological basis for why pizza is great and lutefisk is revolting. The thing about subjectivity is that, as subjects go, humans actually have a great deal in common.
#256 Dec 28 2010 at 9:26 PM Rating: Decent
45 posts
SoumaKyou wrote:
Aww, it's cute that you got offended by my sarcasm. It obviously went way over your head, and it's too bad that you went through all that effort to try and explain what an opinion is. Truth be told, I could care less what you think about FF7, or FFXIV for that matter. You're the one wasting your time on the forums of a game you dislike.

P.S. FF7 has the biggest fanbase of drooling brainless fanboys who spent the greater part of their childhoods fantasizing about Tifa's boobs. Fact.

P.P.S. I hear popularity is directly related to quality. Confirm/deny? Actually, scratch that. Popularity means @#%^all.

Edited, Dec 28th 2010 9:16pm by SoumaKyou


LOLZ Apparently, you know the definition of "offended" as well as you know the definition of "opinion", which is to say, not at all. I'm sorry, but I don't get offended about video games. You're the one who seems offended that I pointed out that your views about FF7 are mere opinions. Well I'm sorry if this hurts your feelings, but they are. I'd go further, but as I said, this is not the thread to discuss your (yes, I'm going to say it) opinions about the game.

As for me "wasting my time on these forums", not really. Developers look at the opinions of people who have major issues with their game and make changes. Yes, it does happen. In fact, it's happening right now. It's called criticism. Real game developers value such a thing. It helps them make their games better. I never said I disliked or hated the game. I definately said that the game, in the state that it's in, is unacceptable. People who care about a game's success is going to state where a game has room for improvement. In fact, Squeenix needs people like me more than they need some white knight dimwit who will rabidly champion FFXIV and all it's flaws against anyone who points out that there may be something wrong with it. People like me are the ones that are ultimately going to help the game in the end.

Contrary to the very poorly thought out conclusion that you jumped to when you stated I didn't like the game, if I didn't like or care about FFXIV, I wouldn't be here pointing out ways that the game could be better. Which, btw, is a lot more productive for the hopeful success of the game than arguing about FF7 and going on a nerdrage about why people who don't agree with you about the game are brainless fanboys, which actually makes you look less credible in your arguments and more like some kid who's up and on the internet way past their bedtime. And if you're a grownup acting in such a manner, then all the sadder.
#257 Dec 28 2010 at 9:40 PM Rating: Decent
SoumaKyou wrote:
SasukeYuchiha wrote:

Yes, we are all allowed to have our opinions.

Unfortunately, you don't seem to know what the word "opinion" means, as you still state your opinion about FF7 as if it's fact. Here's the difference between opinion and fact:

Opinion: FF7 is crap.

Fact: FF7 is the most popular Final Fantasy in the series.

Opinion: FF7 is overrated.

Fact: FF7 has quite literally the biggest fanbase of any Final Fantasy that exists.

See the difference? If your opinion was actually a fact, none of the above stated facts would be true. Here, these links should help:

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/fact

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/opinion

But enough digressing from the subject. One mod has already hinted that we should stay on topic in this thread. If you want to debate about your opinions about FF7, go start a thread on it.

Aww, it's cute that you got offended by my sarcasm. It obviously went way over your head, and it's too bad that you went through all that effort to try and explain what an opinion is. Truth be told, I could care less what you think about FF7, or FFXIV for that matter. You're the one wasting your time on the forums of a game you dislike.

P.S. FF7 has the biggest fanbase of drooling brainless fanboys who spent the greater part of their childhoods fantasizing about Tifa's boobs. Fact.

P.P.S. I hear popularity is directly related to quality. Confirm/deny? Actually, scratch that. Popularity means @#%^all.

Edited, Dec 28th 2010 9:16pm by SoumaKyou

I think it's cute that when confronted with facts and rational thinking you backpedal and try to make it seem as if you were only being sarcastic. You then go on to make sweeping generalizations about a group of people who like something you don't. These are the last cards to play from someone who has nothing left to bring to the argument.

I'll gladly lump myself into the "drooling brainless ff7 fanboy" category not only because I think its a great game but because it was also the first ff game (also the first rpg) that I had ever played. For that reason alone no other ff game will ever have the same "warm fuzzy" feeling that ff7 has for me. Yes this is my first post on these forums and I'm sure I could have made it in a more productive setting but I just felt the need to throw in my 2 cents even if thats all it's worth.
#258SoumaKyou, Posted: Dec 28 2010 at 10:26 PM, Rating: Sub-Default, (Expand Post) The train of rampant butthurt in this thread amuses me.
#259 Dec 28 2010 at 11:10 PM Rating: Excellent
***
1,636 posts
FFVII fits the definition of slightly better than average. It simplified the mechanics a bit, and threw in pretty graphics which gained it mass appeal. I can't fault the game for that, but I also can't call it one of the best just because everyone ages 12+ at the time played the thing. Its popular, not great.

Since we're sharing opinions, ff6 was the best, ff9 was the most underrated (people hated the graphics too much to see it was the 'just right' bowl of porridge made of every game to date), and ff12 was the most overrated (because it was a gorgeous game with the most watered down of all FF elements)


____________________________


#260 Dec 28 2010 at 11:52 PM Rating: Excellent
Scholar
****
9,997 posts
Quote:
ff6 was the best


Quote:
"... my favorite game, which should be getting the attention FF7 elicits," is the honest answer.


Honestly, I loved FF6 too-- definitely a contender for best RPG of all-time, but it's too bad for you if you didn't see how FF7 was at least a neck-and-neck competitor, especially in its time. Coming from someone who recognizes how great FF6 was, I can easily see why people love FF7 so much.

Quote:
P.S. FF7 does suck. It's science.


If you're going to troll, maybe don't be so obvious about it. Just makes you look like a tool.
____________________________
Hyrist wrote:
Ok, now we're going to get slash fiction of Wint x Kachi somehere... rule 34 and all...

Never confuse your inference as the listener for an implication of the speaker.

Good games are subjective like good food is subjective. You're not going to seriously tell me that there's not a psychological basis for why pizza is great and lutefisk is revolting. The thing about subjectivity is that, as subjects go, humans actually have a great deal in common.
#261 Dec 29 2010 at 12:37 AM Rating: Good
45 posts
SoumaKyou wrote:
The train of rampant butthurt in this thread amuses me.


Oh god, here we go... *insert roll eyes here...*
SoumaKyou wrote:
FFXIV does not require ridiculous system specs. I don't know what kind of crap you have on your PC to bog it down, but seriously, an old C2Q with a GTX260 can run the game just fine. ****, even a C2D with an 8800GT can easily get 30-50 FPS in the game. That's hardly top-of-the-line specs.


I have an excellent PC with an above average processor that had a default graphics card well beyond a GTX260, and I could not run this game till I upgraded the video card. Heck, even the back of the game's box says that you need a minimum Gforce 9600 or Ati HD 2900, both with 512 mb vram. So, unless you can prove your obviously bogus claim that low end graphics card can run this game with no problems, I call bull&*%#.

SoumaKyou wrote:
No, I'm not an FFXIV fanboy.


Yes you are.

SoumaKyou wrote:
I just find it funny how you guys talk out of your asses to try and make the game seem worse than it is. I barely even play because it lacks content. Doesn't mean I go around exaggerating arguments as to why the game sucks. But, hey, if you guys love trolling the forums of a game you dislike, more power to you. You're the ones wasting your time, and you sure as **** aren't changing the opinions of people who like the game.


Once again, (God, why do I have to explain this? Why?) someone legitimately pointing out flaws in an mmorpg and saying where there's room for improvement are not trolling, nor is it proof that they hate the game. Contrarywise, it's proof they want the game to improve and succeed. Developers need people who will tell them how to make their game better, not people like you who will bow down and kill their **** and tell them that whatever swill they pump out for the masses to play is awesome sauce.

SoumaKyou wrote:
As for my sarcasm, it's stupid of you to think otherwise. Really? Stating opinions as facts isn't obvious enough for you? It's hilarious that you argue I'm backtracking when I've made no such argument as to FF7's sucking to be fact outside of the one sentence. Please try harder.


You're not being sarcastic. You're being a troll. And a fail one at that. In fact, you couldn't possibly sink to a level more fail than you're at right now.

SoumaKyou wrote:
P.S. FF7 does suck. It's science.


I stand corrected.
#262 Dec 29 2010 at 12:50 AM Rating: Decent
Avatar
****
4,775 posts
KujaKoF wrote:
FFVII fits the definition of slightly better than average. It simplified the mechanics a bit, and threw in pretty graphics which gained it mass appeal. I can't fault the game for that, but I also can't call it one of the best just because everyone ages 12+ at the time played the thing. Its popular, not great.

Since we're sharing opinions, ff6 was the best, ff9 was the most underrated (people hated the graphics too much to see it was the 'just right' bowl of porridge made of every game to date), and ff12 was the most overrated (because it was a gorgeous game with the most watered down of all FF elements)



I think your right about why FFVII was so successful. For most players, rpg's were a new genre for them so it doesn't surprise me so many people think so highly of FFVII. I remember when FPS such as Doom and Wolverstein were PC only titles. Now games like Call of Duty rule the console market too. I'm kinda confused why you think FFXII was overrated though. I think it's far better than XIII and considering the delay of XIII, I think XIII easily wins that award. What confused me is how people hated the graphics for FF9 yet continue to defend the deformed blocky heroes in FF7.
#263 Dec 29 2010 at 3:09 AM Rating: Default
***
2,202 posts
How is FFXII Overrated ? i think is very very underrated <.<

As for whoever said FFVII was neck and neck with FFVI .... FFVI is a Snes game, the fact that FFVII was square's golden egg, and diverted resources from other projects to finish it, just to come neck to a game from another era speaks for itself lol
____________________________
MUTED
#264 Dec 29 2010 at 3:13 AM Rating: Decent
*****
11,576 posts
Considering this thread didn't even last a week before it devolved into a "which FF was the bestest" debacle, I'd say FFXIV is ******* SE can do no right and the community is retarded. Any other questions?
#265 Dec 29 2010 at 4:02 AM Rating: Decent
8 posts
KujaKoF wrote:
FFVII fits the definition of slightly better than average. It simplified the mechanics a bit, and threw in pretty graphics which gained it mass appeal. I can't fault the game for that, but I also can't call it one of the best just because everyone ages 12+ at the time played the thing. Its popular, not great.

Since we're sharing opinions, ff6 was the best, ff9 was the most underrated (people hated the graphics too much to see it was the 'just right' bowl of porridge made of every game to date), and ff12 was the most overrated (because it was a gorgeous game with the most watered down of all FF elements)





I was 14 when I played it but it wasn't my first RPG. That was Crono Trigger, which to me is the best RPG, followed very very closely by Final Fantasy VII then Final Fantasy IV, then Final Fantasy VIII. I hated Final Fantasy XII. Don't know what it was I hated about it; just couldn't put my finger on it. As for Final Fantasy VI, can't say anything about it because I've never played it.
#266 Dec 29 2010 at 9:47 AM Rating: Good
*
165 posts
SasukeYuchiha wrote:
I have an excellent PC with an above average processor that had a default graphics card well beyond a GTX260, and I could not run this game till I upgraded the video card. Heck, even the back of the game's box says that you need a minimum Gforce 9600 or Ati HD 2900, both with 512 mb vram. So, unless you can prove your obviously bogus claim that low end graphics card can run this game with no problems, I call bull&*%#.


I run FFXIV with an Intel Quad CPU Q6600/2.4GHz and an NVIDIA GeForce 8800GT. The settings are fairly low for me but the game runs fine with very minimal lag, only noticeable in heavily populated areas of the cities (like the wards and leve counters). So the minimum specs don't really appear to be the minimum specs.
#267 Dec 29 2010 at 10:10 AM Rating: Good
***
1,636 posts
hey, they're just my opinions :).

Quote:
How is FFXII Overrated ? i think is very very underrated <.<


Again, my opinion, is that its overrated because people consider it good. I think its just so watered down in order to give it that 'mmo feel' they were going for. Magic is near unusable. gambit system was missing a few key elements (such as a simple way to have people steal from an enemy once and move on), and in my opinion, like FFXIV, the license board is a neat idea, but it lead to all my characters feeling generic and the same. I think it was the worst Final Fantasy game since 2.

Quote:
Honestly, I loved FF6 too-- definitely a contender for best RPG of all-time, but it's too bad for you if you didn't see how FF7 was at least a neck-and-neck competitor, especially in its time. Coming from someone who recognizes how great FF6 was, I can easily see why people love FF7 so much.


7 got a lot of things right, I just hated the battle mechanics of it. Not as bad as 12 was, but because everyone was so customizable, it was far too easy to just overpower your team. I like in other games having different "classes" to work with, and trying to work on the best setups. with 7, it was too easy to figure out what worked best, and just roll with that, put those materia on whoever you had at the time.

I also hated sephiroth, he's just the worst type of villain in my mind. He's like a strawman villain. its boring. A superpowered dude with a poor background goes evil and turns on people, been there done that.
____________________________


#268 Dec 29 2010 at 10:17 AM Rating: Decent
**
415 posts
SasukeYuchiha wrote:
I have an excellent PC with an above average processor that had a default graphics card well beyond a GTX260, and I could not run this game till I upgraded the video card. Heck, even the back of the game's box says that you need a minimum Gforce 9600 or Ati HD 2900, both with 512 mb vram. So, unless you can prove your obviously bogus claim that low end graphics card can run this game with no problems, I call bull&*%#.

I'm curious as to what card you had that was "well beyond" a GTX 260 and still couldn't play the game, considering the GTX 260 is worlds better than the minimum-listed 9600 GT. The upgrade to the GTX 260 was the GTX 460, and the GTX 260 was better than an HD 5770. That would mean you had to have had at least either a GTX 275, GTX 285, GTX 460, or an HD5830 for it to even be "slightly beyond". I call bullsh*t that you couldn't run this game with any of those cards and had to upgrade to a high tier GTX 470 or HD 5870 just to play the game. Don't call me out when it comes to computer hardware because I guarantee I've been working around hardware far longer than you have, and I know full well the capabilities of each card. A "better than GTX 260" card can't play this game? ROFL! Yeah right. This is exactly what I mean about you and your anti-FFXIV buttbuddies exaggerating XIV's low points.

I have three systems. Here, I'll list them for you.

Primary PC: i7 920, GTX 480 - FPS: 40-60 (VSync On) - Settings on High, AO Off, DoF Off, 16xCSAA
Secondary PC: C2Q Q6600, GTX 460 - FPS: 30-60 (VSync On) - Settings on High, AO Off, DoF Off, 16xCSAA
Gf's PC: C2D E4600, 8800GT - FPS: 20-50 (VSync On) - Settings on Standard, AO Off, DoF Off, AA Off

So I say again, you either have tons of random crap bogging down your system, or your settings and/or drivers are screwed. Either way, the problem is on your end, not the game's. Both the GeForce 9600GT and the HD 2900 are LOW END CARDS. The mid-range for that era of cards was the 9800GT and HD4850. You citing the previous two as "omg you need at least these cards" shows you have no idea about computer hardware.

SasukeYuchiha wrote:
Yes you are.

So, basically, you ******** and moaning about the game on forums that can't do anything about the problems you have with the game doesn't make you a troll, but whoever disagrees with you is a fanboy? Interesting.

SasukeYuchiha wrote:
Once again, (God, why do I have to explain this? Why?) someone legitimately pointing out flaws in an mmorpg and saying where there's room for improvement are not trolling, nor is it proof that they hate the game. Contrarywise, it's proof they want the game to improve and succeed. Developers need people who will tell them how to make their game better, not people like you who will bow down and kill their **** and tell them that whatever swill they pump out for the masses to play is awesome sauce.

Everyone knows the game needs a lot of work. If you want the game to improve, you'd stop wasting your time ******** and whining on forums and instead give feedback directly to Square. You're preaching to the choir here and it's pointless.

SasukeYuchiha wrote:
You're not being sarcastic. You're being a troll. And a fail one at that. In fact, you couldn't possibly sink to a level more fail than you're at right now.

Oh, I'm glad you finally figured it out. Except you got trolled into going into a long-winded post about the difference between opinions and facts, so yeah, apparently I succeeded.

As far as my serious opinion about FF7, it wasn't bad, but it wasn't the end-all-be-all that most FF7 fanboys make it out to be. It was an average RPG with an average story. FF6 had a much better villain. I seriously can't comprehend how people could even put Kefka and Sephiroth in the same tier of villainy. FFT's depth completely trumps any kind of story element FF7 ever put out, even with the help of 7's various spinoffs.

Edited, Dec 29th 2010 2:17pm by SoumaKyou
#269 Dec 29 2010 at 11:29 AM Rating: Decent
**
501 posts
Aurelius wrote:
Considering this thread didn't even last a week before it devolved into a "which FF was the bestest" debacle, I'd say FFXIV is @#%^ed. SE can do no right and the community is retarded. Any other questions?



THIS TIMES OVER 9000

Can FFXIV survive its player base? Nope.

Edited, Dec 29th 2010 12:30pm by tombiggy
____________________________
Cactuszach Rathebringer- [EQ]85 Human Pally Karana
-retired

Cactuszach- [FFXI] 75 Galka Monk Hades server
-retired

Cactuszach- [LOTRO] 50 Dwarf Guardian Vilya server
-retired
#270 Dec 29 2010 at 11:45 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
**
812 posts
Aurelius wrote:
Considering this thread didn't even last a week before it devolved into a "which FF was the bestest" debacle, I'd say FFXIV is @#%^ed. SE can do no right and the community is retarded. Any other questions?

But now that we're on that topic, IMO FFI was the best because it's the title that turned me into the RPG fan I am today. How exciting was unlocking ninja for the first time? Dragon Warrior certainly didn't have the same effect, although the sequels were good.

Edited, Dec 29th 2010 12:45pm by Jefro420
____________________________
Abaddon Active Player Roster
- All your Fabul Sever are belong to us! -


#271 Dec 29 2010 at 11:47 AM Rating: Decent
2 posts
Just want to add a personal feeling.

I've played FF for a long time but that doesn't mean it can do no wrong by me. There have been plenty of horrible titles in the series, just look at the steaming pile of poo that was FFXIII. That being said, while FFXIV has a way to go to be a solid game it is by no means dead. They have made some forward movement with the fixes but still have a long way to go (Auction house anyone?).

MMORPG's are a constantly evolving and growing thing and FFXIV is certain to see many changes over the course of the next few months. Much like any other MMO I have played, WOW, Everquest, FFXI etc there are things that I like and don't like. I like the fact that leves allow me the ability to quickly start gaming, I remember a lot of time in FFXI being spent waiting for parties or walking. Final thought...FFXIV isn't dead it's in the awkward growing stage. SE should have prob. let the game do this growing in the alpha/beta stages but they didn't. It becomes very simple ultimately you can play the game or you can go away. I support coherent legitimate constructive criticism. Not trolling for trollings sake. Eventually the game will evolve and change to the point where it will be completely unrecongnizable from its original state, just like every other MMO.

Alright incoherent post done.

Thanks for reading!
#272 Dec 29 2010 at 1:14 PM Rating: Decent
45 posts
SoumaKyou wrote:
I'm curious as to what card you had that was "well beyond" a GTX 260, considering the upgrade to the GTX 260 was the GTX 460, and the GTX 260 was better than an HD 5770. That would mean you had to have had at least either a GTX 275, GTX 285, GTX 460, or an HD5830 for it to even be "slightly beyond". Thus, I would call bullsh*t that you couldn't run this game with any of those cards and had to upgrade to a high tier GTX 470 or HD 5870 just to play the game. Don't call me out when it comes to computer hardware because I guarantee I've been working around hardware far longer than you have, and I know full well the capabilities of each card.

I have three systems. Here, I'll list them for you.

Primary PC: i7 920, GTX 480 - FPS: 40-60 (VSync On) - Settings on High, AO Off, DoF Off, 16xCSAA
Secondary PC: C2Q Q6600, GTX 460 - FPS: 30-60 (VSync On) - Settings on High, AO Off, DoF Off, 16xCSAA
Gf's PC: C2D E4600, 8800GT - FPS: 20-50 (VSync On) - Settings on Standard, AO Off, DoF Off, AA Off

So I say again, you either have tons of random crap bogging down your system, or your settings and/or drivers are screwed. Either way, the problem is on your end, not the game's. Both the GeForce 9600GT and the HD 2900 are LOW END CARDS. The mid-range for that era of cards was the 9800GT and HD4850. You citing the previous two as "omg you need at least these cards" shows you have no idea about computer hardware.


Actually, I have a Compaq Presario Dual Core, hardly had anything on it (except schoolwork, some animation software, one other game, and anti virus. All that took up most of the memory used.) Out of 500GB I still have over 300GB left on my system. And my memory card, while outdated, was still more than a GX260. Try Geforce 6600 (Got that when I bought it.) and I still had a problem running the game. After I upgraded the card though it ran like it was in a marathon. My point is, you can't possibly say people who had a problem running this game until they upgrade are "talking out their ***". Too many people have had this problem, including myself. So, maybe it's you who should try thinking before posting. If that's not too much trouble for you.

SoumaKyou wrote:
So, basically, you ******** and moaning about the game on forums that can't do anything about the problems you have with the game doesn't make you a troll, but whoever disagrees with you is a fanboy? Interesting.


Again, Critiquing a game that you want to do better is not complaining at all. What makes someone a fanboy (and an idiotic one, at that) is trolling against those who are offering ideas on how the game could be better, bringing nothing intelligent to the conversation, and trying to start a flamewar over which FF is better or worse than which FF. And so far, you're the one who seems to fit that description.

SoumaKyou wrote:
Everyone knows the game needs a lot of work. If you want the game to improve, you'd stop wasting your time ******** and whining on forums and instead give feedback directly to Square. You're preaching to the choir here and it's pointless.


LOL Look who's talking. Don't you think I've done that? In fact, I'm sure almost everyone here (except those who kiss Squeenix's asses like probably yourself) have done that. Why do you think Squeenix is bending over backwards trying to fix allt eh problems that have been "preached" about? It's because people like me have been complaining about the game. They seem to be ignoring people like you, who worship the ground the devs walk on and troll those who express their ideas that the game is less than god-like perfect. So, I seem to be making more progress than yourself as far as the improvement of the game. Not surprising, since all you do is go on a tirade against those who think differently from you and try to start "Your FF sucks" flamewars on a thread completely about something else.

God, you fail so hard.

SoumaKyou wrote:
Oh, I'm glad you finally figured it out. Except you got trolled into going into a long-winded post about the difference between opinions and facts, so yeah, apparently I succeeded.


This is the part where yoy backpedal, pretend you were "just kidding", and try to save face after making yourself look like an ***, right?

Again, you fail.

SoumaKyou wrote:
As far as my serious opinion about FF7, it wasn't bad, but it wasn't the end-all-be-all that most FF7 fanboys make it out to be. It was an average RPG with an average story. FF6 had a much better villain. I seriously can't comprehend how people could even put Kefka and Sephiroth in the same tier of villainy. FFT's depth completely trumps any kind of story element FF7 ever put out, even with the help of 7's various spinoffs.


Well that's your opinion. (Nice to see you can express it without being a moron. Makes me almost think you might have a small potential for intelligent thought after all.) My opinion? FFT was terrible. It was boring, had a confusing and scattered story, the characters were forgettable, and both FF6 and FF7 were more fun. I also believe that FFTA was way better than FFT. But then again, these are all but opinions. And quite frankly, i think we should leave it at that. Because

1. This has nothing to do with FFXIV, and

2. This only leads to stupid flamewars that everyone loses.
#273 Dec 29 2010 at 1:21 PM Rating: Decent
****
9,526 posts
SasukeYuchiha wrote:


Actually, I have a Compaq Presario Dual Core


Dude, I don't even know much about computers but I know enough to know that you've got a sh#tbox right there. Ever think it might be your processor that sucks? You do know that at lower res this game is more processor dependent than GFX card dependent, right? I don't think a game that wants you to use 4 cores in an age of 8 core computers is all that excessive.

Oh, SE should have built the game to run on 5 year old laptops that were built for checking email, amirite?
____________________________
lolgaxe wrote:
When it comes to sitting around not doing anything for long periods of time, only being active for short windows, and marginal changes and sidegrades I'd say FFXI players were the perfect choice for politicians.


#274 Dec 29 2010 at 1:34 PM Rating: Decent
**
415 posts
SasukeYuchiha wrote:
Actually, I have a Compaq Presario Dual Core, hardly had anything on it (except schoolwork, some animation software, one other game, and anti virus. All that took up most of the memory used.) Out of 500GB I still have over 300GB left on my system. And my memory card, while outdated, was still more than a GX260. Try Geforce 6600 (Got that when I bought it.) and I still had a problem running the game. After I upgraded the card though it ran like it was in a marathon. My point is, you can't possibly say people who had a problem running this game until they upgrade are "talking out their ***". Too many people have had this problem, including myself. So, maybe it's you who should try thinking before posting. If that's not too much trouble for you.

Are you SERIOUS?? The 6600 GT is FAR BELOW a GTX 260. Actually, it's WORSE than the minimum specced 9600 GT listed on the box. You're trying to argue that a card that old couldn't run FFXIV, and I'm the one with a problem? LOL! That card can't even touch most modern laptop graphics cards. No wonder people like you complain about the system requirements of FFXIV. You have no idea what "decent" computer hardware is, and have think you're entitled to run today's modern games on your value PC from 2005.

SasukeYuchiha wrote:
Again, Critiquing a game that you want to do better is not complaining at all. What makes someone a fanboy (and an idiotic one, at that) is trolling against those who are offering ideas on how the game could be better, bringing nothing intelligent to the conversation, and trying to start a flamewar over which FF is better or worse than which FF. And so far, you're the one who seems to fit that description.

Here you go again with your "critiquing" crap. Have you read most of the posts about FFXIV? A good number of anti-FFXIV posts are about how it will never come out of its slump, it'll never be a good game, etc. How is that a critique? Granted, there are those who say Square needed this hit to force them to improve, which I fully agree with. That said, most of the idiocy on the forums, and what I argue against, are the people who do nothing but complain and complain, yet do nothing to let Square know how to improve. Instead, they whine on forums, and it really just falls on deaf ears with no constructive outcome. How is that any better than defending the game?

SasukeYuchiha wrote:
LOL Look who's talking. Don't you think I've done that? In fact, I'm sure almost everyone here (except those who kiss Squeenix's asses like probably yourself) have done that. Why do you think Squeenix is bending over backwards trying to fix allt eh problems that have been "preached" about? It's because people like me have been complaining about the game. They seem to be ignoring people like you, who worship the ground the devs walk on and troll those who express their ideas that the game is less than god-like perfect. So, I seem to be making more progress than yourself as far as the improvement of the game. Not surprising, since all you do is go on a tirade against those who think differently from you and try to start "Your FF sucks" flamewars on a thread completely about something else.

God, you fail so hard.

You seem to have some self-righteous complex about you. First with your laughable video card comments, and now thinking you actually made a difference. Here's a reality check: People like you who do nothing but complain on forums all day have made no difference. Like I said, you're preaching to the choir. The ones who really made a difference are those people like me who actually directly sent Square criticism about the game's flaws, such as lack of NPC-based quests and end-game, in hopes that the game would improve. Worship Square? Please. Try coming up with a better argument other than "omg you defend FFXIV so you must worship SE".

SasukeYuchiha wrote:
This is the part where yoy backpedal, pretend you were "just kidding", and try to save face after making yourself look like an ***, right?

Again, you fail.

Here you go with the backpedaling crap again. Because everything on the internet has to be taken literally amirite?

Edited, Dec 29th 2010 2:39pm by SoumaKyou
#275 Dec 29 2010 at 1:39 PM Rating: Good
45 posts
Olorinus the Vile wrote:
SasukeYuchiha wrote:


Actually, I have a Compaq Presario Dual Core


Dude, I don't even know much about computers but I know enough to know that you've got a sh#tbox right there. Ever think it might be your processor that sucks? You do know that at lower res this game is more processor dependent than GFX card dependent, right? I don't think a game that wants you to use 4 cores in an age of 8 core computers is all that excessive.

Oh, SE should have built the game to run on 5 year old laptops that were built for checking email, amirite?


Believe me, I know. lol

I have upgraded the computer, though. It has a mucho better power supply. As for the processor, yes it's not top-of-the-mill gaming equipment, but it's not all that bad. It could run the other games I had without any problems, though. The only game I ever really had to upgrade for is FFXIV. I could even run Aion on the darn thing without any problems, and that game can be a nightmare. Well, according to others who complained about lagging and framerates and such.

Also, now that I've upgraded, the game runs smooth and excellent. It's not that I'm having a problem with (well, not anymore). It's the fact that FFXIV has so much fixing to do with the game.

Edited, Dec 29th 2010 2:42pm by SasukeYuchiha
#276 Dec 29 2010 at 1:52 PM Rating: Decent
45 posts
SoumaKyou wrote:
*stupid crap I didn't even bother to read, blah blah blah*


Dude, it's obvious you know as much about computers as you do about the difference between critiquing a game and complaining about things that need changing. You're an obvious troll (yes you are, your backpedaling isn't going to change that) and your full-time job seems to be kissing Squeenix's proverbial rear ends and having a tantrum against anyone who doesn't. So, I'll just say this and leave it at that:

1. FFXIV released as complete and utter unfinished crap.

2. The playerbase (all those who don't worship at the proverbial alter of Squeenix, that is) was not happy. So th game started sinking.

3. Squeenix knows they released crap, so they're backpedaling (much liek you yourself likes to do, I guess they are who you learned it from) and trying to fix the mess they made. The difference between them and you is, they can admit when they're wrong.

4. You're a troll. And an fail one at that. And since arguing with you is literally beating a brain-dead horse, I leave you with this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VDW0ZnZxjn4

Goodbye.

Edited, Dec 29th 2010 2:53pm by SasukeYuchiha
#277SoumaKyou, Posted: Dec 29 2010 at 1:57 PM, Rating: Sub-Default, (Expand Post) Aww looks like someone's mad. It's ok. Continue to think that your 6600 GT could even come close to a GTX 260 in performance. LOL.
#278 Dec 29 2010 at 2:22 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
**
322 posts
Get a room you two
____________________________


#279 Dec 29 2010 at 3:50 PM Rating: Good
Edited by bsphil
******
21,739 posts
jadyness wrote:
SasukeYuchiha wrote:
I have an excellent PC with an above average processor that had a default graphics card well beyond a GTX260, and I could not run this game till I upgraded the video card. Heck, even the back of the game's box says that you need a minimum Gforce 9600 or Ati HD 2900, both with 512 mb vram. So, unless you can prove your obviously bogus claim that low end graphics card can run this game with no problems, I call bull&*%#.
I run FFXIV with an Intel Quad CPU Q6600/2.4GHz and an NVIDIA GeForce 8800GT. The settings are fairly low for me but the game runs fine with very minimal lag, only noticeable in heavily populated areas of the cities (like the wards and leve counters). So the minimum specs don't really appear to be the minimum specs.
An 8800GT is also a much better card than a 9600. Just because the number is bigger does not mean that the card is superior.
____________________________
His Excellency Aethien wrote:
Almalieque wrote:
If no one debated with me, then I wouldn't post here anymore.
Take the hint guys, please take the hint.
gbaji wrote:
I'm not getting my news from anywhere Joph.
#280 Dec 29 2010 at 4:08 PM Rating: Good
45 posts
bsphil wrote:
jadyness wrote:
SasukeYuchiha wrote:
I have an excellent PC with an above average processor that had a default graphics card well beyond a GTX260, and I could not run this game till I upgraded the video card. Heck, even the back of the game's box says that you need a minimum Gforce 9600 or Ati HD 2900, both with 512 mb vram. So, unless you can prove your obviously bogus claim that low end graphics card can run this game with no problems, I call bull&*%#.
I run FFXIV with an Intel Quad CPU Q6600/2.4GHz and an NVIDIA GeForce 8800GT. The settings are fairly low for me but the game runs fine with very minimal lag, only noticeable in heavily populated areas of the cities (like the wards and leve counters). So the minimum specs don't really appear to be the minimum specs.
An 8800GT is also a much better card than a 9600. Just because the number is bigger does not mean that the card is superior.


If you say so.

I've done research on the internet on the subject, some say one is better for framerates, some say the other is better for certain display resolutions, some say they're equal, yadda yadda...

Doesn't really matter to me. I'm getting an ATI Radeon card soon anyway, when I find out which one I really want. At any rate, this has gone waaaaay off topic for this thread.
#281 Dec 29 2010 at 4:22 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
****
4,775 posts
Olorinus the Vile wrote:

Dude, I don't even know much about computers but I know enough to know that you've got a sh#tbox right there. Ever think it might be your processor that sucks? You do know that at lower res this game is more processor dependent than GFX card dependent, right? I don't think a game that wants you to use 4 cores in an age of 8 core computers is all that excessive.

Oh, SE should have built the game to run on 5 year old laptops that were built for checking email, amirite?


If you recall how FFXIII looks on the PS3, you'll see it's quite close to FFXIV at 720p. There is absolutely no reason why FFXIV requires such a taxing system just to play the game at optimal settings or around lots of npcs. The truth is SE can't code for jack on the PC. We all know that from experience. I realize the game was being designed to be more future friendly than FFXI, but if you can't get enough people to join your community due to specs, what does it matter. I agree that FFXIV should require a PC upgrade being a next-gen MMO and all. However, it shouldn't require so much money to upgrade or purchase a new rig. The min spec argument is a moot point and I think we all know why, right? I'll sum it up with one word...ENDGAME. I'm not sure how FFXIV will handle endgame, but I do know that bigger mobs and tons of people will be participating which means lots of lag for "min spec" systems. I'm also sick of hearing PC modders talk about how cheap it is because they build their own rigs thus minimizing the expense. The vast majority of the player base doesn't have that option.

Quote:
Here you go again with your "critiquing" crap. Have you read most of the posts about FFXIV? A good number of anti-FFXIV posts are about how it will never come out of its slump, it'll never be a good game, etc. How is that a critique? Granted, there are those who say Square needed this hit to force them to improve, which I fully agree with. That said, most of the idiocy on the forums, and what I argue against, are the people who do nothing but complain and complain, yet do nothing to let Square know how to improve. Instead, they whine on forums, and it really just falls on deaf ears with no constructive outcome. How is that any better than defending the game?


I have to agree with this statement no matter how guilty I am of carrying out the same offense. I personally don't feel SE monitors these forums so it's more a release for us than anything else. I was selling FFXIV to friends since it was announced at E3 in 2009. You can imagine my personal disappointment considering the best looking MMO game of 2010 was a lemon. Granted complaining doesn't help matters, but I don't think that the game can recover. That's the point of threads like this one. It's not that I don't want FFXIV to rebound, I just have to see things as they are, not how I want them to be. There is far too much competition nowadays for a game to mess up this badly at launch to escape the stigma of disgruntled players. So I fail to see a point of offering positive suggestions to SE on a forum that isn't read by them in the first place.

Edited, Dec 29th 2010 4:34pm by ShadowedgeFFXI
#282 Dec 29 2010 at 4:32 PM Rating: Decent
****
9,526 posts
ShadowedgeFFXI wrote:
I'm also sick of hearing PC modders talk about how cheap it is because they build their own rigs thus minimizing the expense. The vast majority of the player base doesn't have that option.


I am far from a "PC modder" and had ZERO experience building PCs before FFXIV... and I built a rig for this game. It wasn't as easy as some people make it out to be (someone said it is like lego... and while that is sort of true it is a bit harder than lego) but it is certainly something that a person with two working hands who isn't illiterate or blind should be able to do.

If you are too lazy/scared to build your own PC that is fine but don't act like it is some horribly difficult thing that you don't have an option of doing.
____________________________
lolgaxe wrote:
When it comes to sitting around not doing anything for long periods of time, only being active for short windows, and marginal changes and sidegrades I'd say FFXI players were the perfect choice for politicians.


#283 Dec 29 2010 at 4:47 PM Rating: Decent
**
415 posts
ShadowedgeFFXI wrote:
If you recall how FFXIII looks on the PS3, you'll see it's quite close to FFXIV at 720p. There is absolutely no reason why FFXIV requires such a taxing system just to play the game at optimal settings or around lots of npcs. The truth is SE can't code for jack on the PC. We all know that from experience.

FFXIII and FFXIV use the same exact graphics engine, which is why they look similar. And yes, Square sucks at porting games, but I'll wager it has a lot more to do with the way console games are programmed, rather than it being entirely Square's fault. Now, before I get accused of being a Square fanboy for defending them yet again, I'll go ahead and point to Battlefield: Bad Company 2 and Call of Duty: Black Ops. Both console ports, and both suffering from the exact same graphics processing problems as FFXIV (as far as Nvidia's cards are concerned, which means it also has to do with Nvidia's drivers).

ShadowedgeFFXI wrote:
I'm also sick of hearing PC modders talk about how cheap it is because they build their own rigs thus minimizing the expense. The vast majority of the player base doesn't have that option.

It's not just a matter of PC modding, it's a matter of people saying you need the best and most expensive PC to play the game, which simply isn't true. A mid-range PC from 3 years ago (E4600, 8800GT) can play this game perfectly fine, so it's only logical that a mid-range PC from today can play this game. But you can't expect a low-end PC, even from today, to be able to play this game properly.

ShadowedgeFFXI wrote:
I have to agree with this statement no matter how guilty I am of carrying out the same offense. I personally don't feel SE monitors these forums so it's more a release for us than anything else. I was selling FFXIV to friends since it was announced at E3 in 2009. You can imagine my personal disappointment considering the best looking MMO game of 2010 was a lemon. Granted complaining doesn't help matters, but I don't think that the game can recover. That's the point of threads like this one. It's not that I don't want FFXIV to rebound, I just have to see things as they are, not how I want them to be. There is far too much competition nowadays for a game to mess up this badly at launch to escape the stigma of disgruntled players. So I fail to see a point of offering positive suggestions to SE on a forum that isn't read by them in the first place.

Honestly, I wasn't too happy with the state of the game at launch, and I'm still rather undecided with it at this point. However, considering what I've seen with what Square has done to fix things and the relative quickness that they have, even though they're only doing it because the game flopped so hard, it's not hard to see the potential that the game has. There's always the PS3 release, which I believe will be the determining factor that will make or break this game. So they have until then to improve as much as they can, and at the rate they're going, I don't think it's too far off to say they might be able to salvage at least a niche market. FFXI was a niche market, and I was completely happy playing it as opposed to dealing with the mainstream Barrens/Trade chat spamming mouth breathing community that WoW had.

Edited, Dec 29th 2010 5:55pm by SoumaKyou
#284 Dec 29 2010 at 4:49 PM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
****
4,775 posts
Olorinus the Vile wrote:


I am far from a "PC modder" and had ZERO experience building PCs before FFXIV... and I built a rig for this game. It wasn't as easy as some people make it out to be (someone said it is like lego... and while that is sort of true it is a bit harder than lego) but it is certainly something that a person with two working hands who isn't illiterate or blind should be able to do.

If you are too lazy/scared to build your own PC that is fine but don't act like it is some horribly difficult thing that you don't have an option of doing.


You didn't think things though Olorinus. It's not that a PC is hard to build, it's the fact that most people don't do it. Alienware and other companies wouldn't exist if people built their own rigs by and large, right? I'm not suggesting that it's horrible difficult, but by the same token, you can't say that it's realistic for everyone to do. Some people lack the time while others can't even put legos together. For crying out loud, some people are mentally challenged by putting together furniture from Wal-mart. You clearly missed the point because you can't rationalize everyone like you think you can. I agree with you that's it not that difficult for me to upgrade/build a rig, however I'd be one ignorant s.o.b if I compared my technical level to others without considering their abilities first. Again the fact that these companies exist proves my point for me.

Oh, and for those that are on the fence about building their own rig. What if you ***** up and force a part like the CPU too hard breaking it. That's 200+ down the drain. Yes the manufacturer provides directions to install their parts, but can you say without a shadow of doubt that everyone is at your level of comprehension in technical matters. Basically you're making assumptions that people are just lazy because it's not hard to do. Never mind the fact that assembling your own pc doesn't have a normal warranty. Sure the parts themselves are covered in the event something goes wrong, but good luck for that novice to figure out the problem. So while it may be as easy as Legos to build, it's not as easy to diagnosis should anything go wrong.
#285 Dec 29 2010 at 4:58 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
**
322 posts
Olorinus the Vile wrote:
ShadowedgeFFXI wrote:
I'm also sick of hearing PC modders talk about how cheap it is because they build their own rigs thus minimizing the expense. The vast majority of the player base doesn't have that option.


I am far from a "PC modder" and had ZERO experience building PCs before FFXIV... and I built a rig for this game. It wasn't as easy as some people make it out to be (someone said it is like lego... and while that is sort of true it is a bit harder than lego) but it is certainly something that a person with two working hands who isn't illiterate or blind should be able to do.

If you are too lazy/scared to build your own PC that is fine but don't act like it is some horribly difficult thing that you don't have an option of doing.


I think you are overestimating the intelligence of the general population

Just sayin'
____________________________


#286 Dec 29 2010 at 5:02 PM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
****
4,775 posts
SoumaKyou wrote:

FFXIII and FFXIV use the same exact graphics engine, which is why they look similar. And yes, Square sucks at porting games, but I'll wager it has a lot more to do with the way console games are programmed, rather than it being entirely Square's fault. Now, before I get accused of being a Square fanboy for defending them yet again, I'll go ahead and point to Battlefield: Bad Company 2 and Call of Duty: Black Ops. Both console ports, and both suffering from the exact same graphics processing problems as FFXIV (as far as Nvidia's cards are concerned, which means it also has to do with Nvidia's drivers).


Show me a single SE game on the PC that was coded properly. Of course they're all console ports, but my point still stands. You can pass the buck blaming Nvidia for their drivers, but how does that explain why SE can't program on the PC for jack. The simple truth is you can't defend them an this is just another example of SE ******** up the code. The FFXIV benchmark wasn't a shock to me like ti was to many people.

Quote:

It's not just a matter of PC modding, it's a matter of people saying you need the best and most expensive PC to play the game, which simply isn't true. A mid-range PC from 3 years ago (E4600, 8800GT) can play this game perfectly fine, so it's only logical that a mid-range PC from today can play this game. But you can't expect a low-end PC, even from today, to be able to play this game properly.


You might be right this moment depending on your preferences. However, you failed to address future concerns such as endgame content which will undoubtedly cause tremendous lag and cripples most "min spec" systems. As someone who played FFXI for years on the PS2, I can tell you how much it sucked to do group events like Dynamis especially as a mage. As it stands right now, the servers are sparse, unpopulated "zones". Of course lag is lesser now than it will be should content improve and the servers population increases. I suppose you could argue someone could buy/upgrade a new rig by the time that happens. That's possible, but I personally know people that are stuck waiting for the PS3 version because of the system spec requirements now.
#287 Dec 29 2010 at 5:04 PM Rating: Decent
****
9,526 posts
tylerbee wrote:
Olorinus the Vile wrote:
ShadowedgeFFXI wrote:
I'm also sick of hearing PC modders talk about how cheap it is because they build their own rigs thus minimizing the expense. The vast majority of the player base doesn't have that option.


I am far from a "PC modder" and had ZERO experience building PCs before FFXIV... and I built a rig for this game. It wasn't as easy as some people make it out to be (someone said it is like lego... and while that is sort of true it is a bit harder than lego) but it is certainly something that a person with two working hands who isn't illiterate or blind should be able to do.

If you are too lazy/scared to build your own PC that is fine but don't act like it is some horribly difficult thing that you don't have an option of doing.


I think you are overestimating the intelligence of the general population

Just sayin'


Possibly... but I had no experience and I didn't find it that hard.
____________________________
lolgaxe wrote:
When it comes to sitting around not doing anything for long periods of time, only being active for short windows, and marginal changes and sidegrades I'd say FFXI players were the perfect choice for politicians.


#288 Dec 29 2010 at 5:04 PM Rating: Default
**
415 posts
SasukeYuchiha wrote:
I've done research on the internet on the subject, some say one is better for framerates, some say the other is better for certain display resolutions, some say they're equal, yadda yadda...

Doesn't really matter to me. I'm getting an ATI Radeon card soon anyway, when I find out which one I really want. At any rate, this has gone waaaaay off topic for this thread.

Now you're just disputing cold, hard facts.

Fact: The 6600 GT is vastly inferior to an 8800 GT. There is no magical situation where the 6600 GT is better. There just isn't.

Fact: The GTX 260 is superior to the 8800 GT. Again, there is no magical situation where the 8800 GT is superior to the GTX 260.
#289 Dec 29 2010 at 5:06 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
27 posts
SoumaKyou wrote:



P.S. FF7 does suck. It's science.

Edited, Dec 28th 2010 11:29pm by SoumaKyou


no need to quote the rest is was useless rambling but i had to quote the anchorman reference because its full of win...

p.s. back when ff7 came out it was a really good rpg with a good story. i dare you to name something just as good back then when it was released. i am not a fanboy either

p.s.s. this game sucks with teeth. you need a decent rig to run it so it can be bearable. the last point was a fact.

Edited, Dec 29th 2010 6:07pm by mindsoulja
#290 Dec 29 2010 at 5:15 PM Rating: Decent
**
415 posts
ShadowedgeFFXI wrote:
Show me a single SE game on the PC that was coded properly. Of course they're all console ports, but my point still stands. You can pass the buck blaming Nvidia for their drivers, but how does that explain why SE can't program on the PC for jack. The simple truth is you can't defend them an this is just another example of SE ******** up the code. The FFXIV benchmark wasn't a shock to me like ti was to many people.

I'm not disputing Square's general PC porting problems. Rather, I'm disputing the fact that for this particular generation, it's not entirely Square's fault. Are you going to peg DICE and Activision for the terrible performance of BF:BC2 and CoD:BO? You can't, because all three games suffered from the same exact problems and all three games run perfectly fine with the right drivers from Nvidia.

ShadowedgeFFXI wrote:
You might be right this moment depending on your preferences. However, you failed to address future concerns such as endgame content which will undoubtedly cause tremendous lag and cripples most "min spec" systems. As someone who played FFXI for years on the PS2, I can tell you how much it sucked to do group events like Dynamis especially as a mage. As it stands right now, the servers are sparse, unpopulated "zones". Of course lag is lesser now than it will be should content improve and the servers population increases. I suppose you could argue someone could buy/upgrade a new rig by the time that happens. That's possible, but I personally know people that are stuck waiting for the PS3 version because of the system spec requirements now.

You're citing a problem that's present in every new-gen PC game. I played FFXI at release too, and I was still on a P4 with a GeForce4 Ti4200 that ran previous games flawlessly but struggled on XI. My next PC struggled to play Crysis, and my current PC struggles to play Metro 2033. It's the way PC games are. Newer games will always push the limits of current computers. This is old news, and you can't place the blame on a single game for this.

mindsoulja wrote:
p.s. back when ff7 came out it was a really good rpg with a good story. i dare you to name something just as good back then when it was released. i am not a fanboy either

Obviously, what was "just as good" is purely subjective. Though, I'll go ahead and say Xenogears, Final Fantasy Tactics, Star Ocean: The Second Story, Chrono Cross. Plenty of RPG's that were "just as good".


Edited, Dec 29th 2010 6:22pm by SoumaKyou
#291 Dec 29 2010 at 5:18 PM Rating: Decent
45 posts
mindsoulja wrote:
SoumaKyou wrote:



P.S. FF7 does suck. It's science.

Edited, Dec 28th 2010 11:29pm by SoumaKyou


no need to quote the rest is was useless rambling but i had to quote the anchorman reference because its full of win...

p.s. back when ff7 came out it was a really good rpg with a good story. i dare you to name something just as good back then when it was released. i am not a fanboy either

p.s.s. this game sucks with teeth. you need a decent rig to run it so it can be bearable. the last point was a fact.

Edited, Dec 29th 2010 6:07pm by mindsoulja


You have good points here, but you're just wasting your time disputing anything he says.

Think about it, can you really win an argument against the mentally disabled? Yes, the game as it is is unacceptable to most of the people playing it. Yes, Squeenix has acknowledged this themselves and is trying to make revisions. No, the retarded are not going to agree with the obvious. Best to just let sleeping idiots lie, like I did. Otherwise you'll only get a headache. lol
#292SoumaKyou, Posted: Dec 29 2010 at 5:24 PM, Rating: Sub-Default, (Expand Post) Yet you still haven't refuted any of my points with your own. Your weak straw hat arguments are about as useless as your baseless insults. I'm glad to know I affected you, though.
#293 Dec 29 2010 at 5:34 PM Rating: Excellent
45 posts
Olorinus the Vile wrote:
tylerbee wrote:
Olorinus the Vile wrote:
ShadowedgeFFXI wrote:
I'm also sick of hearing PC modders talk about how cheap it is because they build their own rigs thus minimizing the expense. The vast majority of the player base doesn't have that option.


I am far from a "PC modder" and had ZERO experience building PCs before FFXIV... and I built a rig for this game. It wasn't as easy as some people make it out to be (someone said it is like lego... and while that is sort of true it is a bit harder than lego) but it is certainly something that a person with two working hands who isn't illiterate or blind should be able to do.

If you are too lazy/scared to build your own PC that is fine but don't act like it is some horribly difficult thing that you don't have an option of doing.


I think you are overestimating the intelligence of the general population

Just sayin'


Possibly... but I had no experience and I didn't find it that hard.



Same here. Of course I had no choice, it was either learn to install crap myself or pay Best Buy $50 to do it for me.

I think we all know what the more sane option is. When I learned to do it myself, I couldn't believe people paid Best Buy half a hundred bucks to do it.

Edited, Dec 29th 2010 6:34pm by SasukeYuchiha
#294 Dec 29 2010 at 5:39 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
27 posts
SoumaKyou wrote:
ShadowedgeFFXI wrote:
Show me a single SE game on the PC that was coded properly. Of course they're all console ports, but my point still stands. You can pass the buck blaming Nvidia for their drivers, but how does that explain why SE can't program on the PC for jack. The simple truth is you can't defend them an this is just another example of SE ******** up the code. The FFXIV benchmark wasn't a shock to me like ti was to many people.

I'm not disputing Square's general PC porting problems. Rather, I'm disputing the fact that for this particular generation, it's not entirely Square's fault. Are you going to peg DICE and Activision for the terrible performance of BF:BC2 and CoD:BO? You can't, because all three games suffered from the same exact problems and all three games run perfectly fine with the right drivers from Nvidia.

ShadowedgeFFXI wrote:
You might be right this moment depending on your preferences. However, you failed to address future concerns such as endgame content which will undoubtedly cause tremendous lag and cripples most "min spec" systems. As someone who played FFXI for years on the PS2, I can tell you how much it sucked to do group events like Dynamis especially as a mage. As it stands right now, the servers are sparse, unpopulated "zones". Of course lag is lesser now than it will be should content improve and the servers population increases. I suppose you could argue someone could buy/upgrade a new rig by the time that happens. That's possible, but I personally know people that are stuck waiting for the PS3 version because of the system spec requirements now.

You're citing a problem that's present in every new-gen PC game. I played FFXI at release too, and I was still on a P4 with a GeForce4 Ti4200 that ran previous games flawlessly but struggled on XI. My next PC struggled to play Crysis, and my current PC struggles to play Metro 2033. It's the way PC games are. Newer games will always push the limits of current computers. This is old news, and you can't place the blame on a single game for this.

mindsoulja wrote:
p.s. back when ff7 came out it was a really good rpg with a good story. i dare you to name something just as good back then when it was released. i am not a fanboy either

Obviously, what was "just as good" is purely subjective. Though, I'll go ahead and say Xenogears, Final Fantasy Tactics, Star Ocean: The Second Story, Chrono Cross. Plenty of RPG's that were "just as good".


Edited, Dec 29th 2010 6:22pm by SoumaKyou





yes all classics like ff7 cept chrono cross. i said when it came out in 1997 what was better? xenogears came out in 1998 star ocean 1999 cross in 2000 and they were vastly inferior i still think were classics tho (including tactics). **** tactics even came out in 1998.., im clearly missing the point. outside of not mentioning valkrie profile (2000) which u probably didnt play i forgive you for that tho. ok lets try this what about ff7 you didnt like? because outside of star ocean they all played the same. (dont say xenogears didnt it just had mechs and a weaker story)




Edited, Dec 29th 2010 6:40pm by mindsoulja

Edited, Dec 29th 2010 6:41pm by mindsoulja
#295 Dec 29 2010 at 6:00 PM Rating: Default
**
415 posts
mindsoulja wrote:
yes all classics like ff7 cept chrono cross. i said when it came out in 1997 what was better? xenogears came out in 1998 star ocean 1999 cross in 2000 and they were vastly inferior i still think were classics tho (including tactics). **** tactics even came out in 1998.., im clearly missing the point. outside of not mentioning valkrie profile (2000) which u probably didnt play i forgive you for that tho.

All those games I listed are considered within the same generation as FF7, so there really is no need to be specific about the particular year.

Though, if you really wanna nitpick, I'm gonna have to go with Fallout for RPG's released in 1997.

mindsoulja wrote:
ok lets try this what about ff7 you didnt like? because outside of star ocean they all played the same. (dont say xenogears didnt it just had mechs and a weaker story)

Weaker story according to whom? You? You're not exactly the RPG guru here, buddy, and I guarantee your opinion of FF7 is worth the same exact as mine. That said, FF7's story was incredibly bland. Xenogears had way more interesting characters. Xenogears also had way superior gameplay.

Edited, Dec 29th 2010 7:00pm by SoumaKyou
#296 Dec 29 2010 at 6:02 PM Rating: Decent
****
9,526 posts
Olorinus the Vile wrote:


Possibly... but I had no experience and I didn't find it that hard.


Gimme a break. Defaulted for that? It wasn't. That. Hard.

This is true. If you had a different experience - fine. But don't karma bomb me for stating my experience. Grow up.



Edited, Dec 29th 2010 4:03pm by Olorinus
____________________________
lolgaxe wrote:
When it comes to sitting around not doing anything for long periods of time, only being active for short windows, and marginal changes and sidegrades I'd say FFXI players were the perfect choice for politicians.


#297 Dec 29 2010 at 6:10 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
27 posts
SoumaKyou wrote:
mindsoulja wrote:
yes all classics like ff7 cept chrono cross. i said when it came out in 1997 what was better? xenogears came out in 1998 star ocean 1999 cross in 2000 and they were vastly inferior i still think were classics tho (including tactics). **** tactics even came out in 1998.., im clearly missing the point. outside of not mentioning valkrie profile (2000) which u probably didnt play i forgive you for that tho.

All those games I listed are considered within the same generation as FF7, so there really is no need to be specific about the particular year.

Though, if you really wanna nitpick, I'm gonna have to go with Fallout for RPG's released in 1997.

mindsoulja wrote:
ok lets try this what about ff7 you didnt like? because outside of star ocean they all played the same. (dont say xenogears didnt it just had mechs and a weaker story)

Weaker story according to whom? You? You're not exactly the RPG guru here, buddy, and I guarantee your opinion of FF7 is worth the same exact as mine. That said, FF7's story was incredibly bland. Xenogears had way more interesting characters. Xenogears also had way superior gameplay.

Edited, Dec 29th 2010 7:00pm by SoumaKyou



fallout was good tho. but ff7 changed the genre it was like the first 3d rpg it was on a cd sound quality was better blah blah fanboy rant...i agree xenogears had the better gameplay but the story wasnt anywhere near as good got a lil too preachy for my taste. i mean in my opinion anyways. my question wasnt to nitpick i said at the time it was released what was better? of course over time something better will come along because the blueprint was laid out to follow so of course xenogears was gonna be good. fallout was good but it wasnt ground breaking by any means. if i was gonna be all fanboy and pull games out of my *** i would say oblivion owns anything final fantasy past and present but thats my opinion once again

Edited, Dec 29th 2010 7:13pm by mindsoulja
#298 Dec 29 2010 at 6:11 PM Rating: Default
**
415 posts
Olorinus the Vile wrote:
Olorinus the Vile wrote:


Possibly... but I had no experience and I didn't find it that hard.


Gimme a break. Defaulted for that? It wasn't. That. Hard.

This is true. If you had a different experience - fine. But don't karma bomb me for stating my experience. Grow up.



Edited, Dec 29th 2010 4:03pm by Olorinus

I wouldn't worry about it too much. These kids seem to think rating someone down because they disagree with their totalitarian views is the proper way to use the karma system, regardless of the validity of the argument.
#299SoumaKyou, Posted: Dec 29 2010 at 6:17 PM, Rating: Sub-Default, (Expand Post) First 3D RPG, sure. That's the biggest reason it was so popular. Having a blueprint of what came out before and building on its success is very limited, because the biggest successes in anything have come from trying something different. Do you think FF7 would have made such an impact if it was made in 2D? I highly doubt it. Graphics alone don't make a game groundbreaking, except in FF7's case, because it was the first to do it. Doesn't mean its story and gameplay were groundbreaking. Fallout was groundbreaking, not for the graphics, but for the gameplay and story. Xenogears tried a different approach to gameplay, which is why it was so successful despite FF7 coming out in 3D before it did. Chrono Trigger was groundbreaking because of the battle system. Etc. etc. Every game has its merits, but trying to say a game was everything when all it really had going for it was the graphics (my opinion) was like... well, it's like saying FFXIV is the best RPG to date because it has the best graphics.
#300 Dec 29 2010 at 6:19 PM Rating: Decent
Avatar
****
4,775 posts
SoumaKyou wrote:

You're citing a problem that's present in every new-gen PC game. I played FFXI at release too, and I was still on a P4 with a GeForce4 Ti4200 that ran previous games flawlessly but struggled on XI. My next PC struggled to play Crysis, and my current PC struggles to play Metro 2033. It's the way PC games are. Newer games will always push the limits of current computers. This is old news, and you can't place the blame on a single game for this.


I'm not sure if it was you in this thread that stated that FFXIII and FFXIV used the same engine. Regardless we know FFXIV is coming to the PS3 at 720p. Now prior to the game launching on PC, these forums were filled with people that bashed the PS3 and said the overall hardware and more importantly the "CELL" was never that great. So my point is this. Why is it so hard to program a game that runs perfectly fine on the PS3 system(XIII) yet requires current $500 GPU's to have a similar experience on PC? Shouldn't the new crop of systems totally blow away the out-dated PS3 hardware? Yet a 720p FFXIII(identical to the FFXIV engine) that somehow uses the same engine flawlessly pulls it off without a hitch.

The point of this is simple. Next gen pc games require more horsepower to overcome for **** poor coding. People love to diss console systems because they are static and can't be upgraded beyond the HDD. Yet games such as FFXI(PS2), God of War(PS2), and the Uncharted(PS3) series push the boundaries of those so-called limits. For example, the Ps2 only has 4mb of VRAM. Yet it somehow able to display FFXI at all is a master display in programming skills. You can make all the excuses you want blaming drivers for every problem that crops up, but why is you need a 10x more powerful system compared to hardware specs of a console to get a similar experience.
#301 Dec 29 2010 at 6:21 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
27 posts
SoumaKyou wrote:
mindsoulja wrote:
fallout was good tho. but ff7 chnage the genre it was like the first 3d rpg it was on a cd sound quality was better blah blah fanboy rant...i agree xenogears had the better gameplay but the story wasnt anywhere near as good. i mean in my opinion anyways. my question wasnt to nitpick i said at the time it was released what was better? of course over time something better will come along because the blueprint was laid out to follow so of course xenogears was gonna be good. fallout was good but it wasnt ground breaking by any means. if i was gonna be all fanboy and pull games out of my *** i would say oblivion owns anything final fantasy past and present but thats my opinion once again

First 3D RPG, sure. That's the biggest reason it was so popular. Having a blueprint of what came out before and building on its success is very limited, because the biggest successes in anything have come from trying something different. Do you think FF7 would have made such an impact if it was made in 2D? I highly doubt it. Graphics alone don't make a game groundbreaking, except in FF7's case, because it was the first to do it. Doesn't mean its story and gameplay were groundbreaking. Fallout was groundbreaking, not for the graphics, but for the gameplay and story. Xenogears tried a different approach to gameplay, which is why it was so successful despite FF7 coming out in 3D before it did. Chrono Trigger was groundbreaking because of the battle system. Etc. etc. Every game has its merits, but trying to say a game was everything when all it really had going for it was the graphics (my opinion) was like... well, it's like saying FFXIV is the best RPG to date because it has the best graphics.


even tho i wasnt trying to say that at all i fellow what you mean. also ff7 (if it followed the same story) wouldnt have worked if it wasnt in 3d and been in such a high regard as it is today. the story and cgi made you feel for the characters gett attached xenogears didnt do that. it tried tho failed in my book. the gameplay blew ff7 out the water thats always been enix's strong suit. even still i think Valkyrie profile was better than ff7..but back on subject..this game is a sinking ship and needs superman jesus and god to save it.

Edited, Dec 29th 2010 7:24pm by mindsoulja

Edited, Dec 29th 2010 7:25pm by mindsoulja
This forum is read only
This Forum is Read Only!
Recent Visitors: 14 All times are in CST
Anonymous Guests (14)