Forum Settings
       
1 2 Next »
This Forum is Read Only

The ward search, better than nothing, still want an AH.Follow

#52 Dec 23 2010 at 9:05 AM Rating: Decent
Avatar
*****
12,705 posts
KujaKoF wrote:
GoldenArrow wrote:
The funny thing is that the retainer system needs brains.
AH does not.


Not really, the retainer system requires either tons more time, or making uninformed decisions. The AH requires little time and lets you make informed decisions.


However, an actual Auction House, where you have to place bids over the span of an hour to week RL time for an item requires even more time overall than the retainer system does, unless you decide you want to pay the generally 100% markup for the buy it now option some MMOs has on their AHs.

I don't get why people want an AH so badly, both systems are basically the same with such minute differences.
____________________________

#53 Dec 23 2010 at 9:20 AM Rating: Good
***
1,636 posts
Mistress Theonehio wrote:
KujaKoF wrote:
GoldenArrow wrote:
The funny thing is that the retainer system needs brains.
AH does not.


Not really, the retainer system requires either tons more time, or making uninformed decisions. The AH requires little time and lets you make informed decisions.


However, an actual Auction House, where you have to place bids over the span of an hour to week RL time for an item requires even more time overall than the retainer system does, unless you decide you want to pay the generally 100% markup for the buy it now option some MMOs has on their AHs.

I don't get why people want an AH so badly, both systems are basically the same with such minute differences.


There are several types of auctions, and I think too many people have the bids over a limited time model stuck in their heads. By AH, myself and most people i've seen mention it, are referring to a centralized market, because that's what those markets are typically called in popular MMOs.
____________________________


#54 Dec 23 2010 at 9:47 AM Rating: Decent
*
220 posts
KujaKoF wrote:
Not really, the retainer system requires either tons more time, or making uninformed decisions. The AH requires little time and lets you make informed uninformed decisions.


^corrected typo

AH lets you see the 10 most recent sales. You can not see the asking price of those items.

Wards lets you see the asking price of every item up for sale.
____________________________
PLD/BLM/PUP 99, RDM 86, SMN 90, WAR/NIN/WHM/BRD 50, DNC/SCH/MNK 37 THF 29, BST 16, RNG 12, DRG 8, DRK/SAM 7, COR 5, BLU 1
Avatars 19/19
highlander414 wrote:
also, if something goes wrong, pup is the easiest job to blame. You can keep one around just for that reason. If there's a mijin gakure and everyone dies, just blame the pup, he's used to it.

Creed +2 5/5, Geotia +2 5/5, Pantin +2 3/5
Excalibur (75)

#55 Dec 23 2010 at 10:39 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
43 posts
Nicholiathan wrote:
KujaKoF wrote:
Not really, the retainer system requires either tons more time, or making uninformed decisions. The AH requires little time and lets you make informed uninformed decisions.


^corrected typo

AH lets you see the 10 most recent sales. You can not see the asking price of those items.

Wards lets you see the asking price of every item up for sale.


FFXI's AH is not the only type of AH that exists. I don't think there's any other MMO that uses the blind bidding/price history model.

A mainstream AH just lets you see the price of available items and their bid/buyout price much like shopping online.
#56 Dec 23 2010 at 7:23 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
***
1,330 posts
mbub wrote:
Nicholiathan wrote:
KujaKoF wrote:
Not really, the retainer system requires either tons more time, or making uninformed decisions. The AH requires little time and lets you make informed uninformed decisions.


^corrected typo

AH lets you see the 10 most recent sales. You can not see the asking price of those items.

Wards lets you see the asking price of every item up for sale.


FFXI's AH is not the only type of AH that exists. I don't think there's any other MMO that uses the blind bidding/price history model.

A mainstream AH just lets you see the price of available items and their bid/buyout price much like shopping online.


Pretty sure the point here is that everyone's idea of an "Auction House" is different, which is what happens when people mindlessly apply a label to something and automatically assume everyone else is a mind reader and is talking about the same thing. Some people are only talking about the centralized system managing the player buying/selling that was labeled as an "Auction House" while other people are also including all the bells and whistles WoW or another game decided to add to theirs.
#57 Dec 23 2010 at 11:44 PM Rating: Good
***
1,636 posts
Nicholiathan wrote:
KujaKoF wrote:
Not really, the retainer system requires either tons more time, or making uninformed decisions. The AH requires little time and lets you make informed uninformed decisions.


^corrected typo

AH lets you see the 10 most recent sales. You can not see the asking price of those items.

Wards lets you see the asking price of every item up for sale.


Even with the FFXI AH, I'm still making better decisions than now. If I see the last price is say 5000, and there are several for sale. I can bid as low as I want, say 4000. If I don't get it, I know that there are zero items in that city for sale at that price. If 4000 is as much as I'm willing to pay, I know that I am wasting my time looking.

Yes its possible to over pay if you simply just bid what the price history says. I consider that the easy way, or the exact same as buying the item for the first retainer you see.

Personally, I prefer the visible bid AH method, such as ebay or WoW. There's less messing around, and its less complicated. As a seller I want X for my item. If a buyer things its worth that, they will buy it. Done, everyone is happy.
____________________________


1 2 Next »
This forum is read only
This Forum is Read Only!
Recent Visitors: 29 All times are in CST
Anonymous Guests (29)