OK - just to clear the air before I start - if you're one of those ppl who just want an AH and who is just gonna respond to this by saying "you know what would be better - AN AH!!!", or "...or instead, they could just give us an AH!!!!" I really don't want to hear from you. I've already heard it said a hundred times before, it's nothing new, and I really just don't want to hear it again. So please, if the comment you were thinking of making was anything along those lines, please just go whinge and moan about it somewhere else and save time for you and me both.
This is a suggestion to complement the existing retainer/market wards system. I've copy & pasted this from my lodestone blog. It was put up just before the ward search feature was introduced, but I still feel it would only complement / enhance the existing market experience.
For your consideration :
Hello to any who are reading this,
Just considering the Eorzean economy from the possibility that the SE devs never get around to introducing an Auction House. What alternate things could be done to help improve the game in place of an Auction House?
Whatever 'market access' system SE chooses to introduce or enhance (if no auction house), it would need to be complementary to the existing retainer bazaar / ward markets system. The biggest complaint people seem to make (apart from not being able to instantaneously compare prices in the one place) is having to check through hundreds of crappy bazaar lists to try and find the one item they want. If it's there at all. So I suggest an alternative to have to bazaar search for items....
Junk Shop NPC!!
The devs seem to want to mimic real life so much - well 'junk' or 'pawn' shops are _everywhere_ in real life.
The real life mechanics of Junk Shops are that a person is offered a price for goods they want to sell, and then the Junk Shop marks up the price exorbitantly to make a profit themselves ^^. The price offered to the person selling would need to be beneficial enough that the seller makes the effort of bringing their goods to that Junk Shop.
There are 3 ways I see this working in Eorzean markets:
(1) sell to any NPC at the existing discounted sell price, all goods sold are then forwarded from all NPC stall holders to a central Junk Shop NPC who on-sells those items at a price the item would normally cost if the price was determined by a NPC seller, not a player.
Example - A cotton boll currently sells to NPCs for 106, but if it is purchased from an NPC it costs 4636. So, in this (1) suggestion, all items sold by all adventureres across an area (I envisage this being area based - Thanalan, La Noesca, Black Shroud) are accummulated by central Junk Shop NPC who then offers them for sale.
The problem with the above is that the list of items available would be HUUUUGE, and horrible to scroll through, which then leads on to suggestion....
(2) There be specialised Junk Shop NPCs. The items adventurer's sell to NPCs are only onsold to other adventurers if it is sold to that specialist Junk Shop NPC. There would need to be a bonus price offered to sellers to encourage them to sell to these specific NPCs.
Example - Junk Shop stall A buys and sells hides for leathercraft. Junk Shop stall B buys and sells fieldcraft tools. NPC stall C is a general seller.
An Adventurer has a Buffalo Hide to sell.
Buffalo Hides normally cost 24,000 to buy, but they sell to NPC vendors for 504.
-> If the Adventurer sells it to the specialist stall A they get a special price of, perhaps 2016? The hide is then included in the existing stock of items held by stall A to on-sell to other Adventurers.
-> If the Adventurer sells to stall B, as stall B does not specialise in hides for leathercraft, the stall holder will not purchase the item from the adventurer.
-> If the Adventurer sells to stall C, the stall holder will purchase the item at the regular price of 504 only, and the item is not able to then be on-sold to other Adventurers.
(3) Further - the specialist Junk Shop stalls could be placed within the relevant market ward. Or - if the devs wanted to encourage visits to outlying towns, the specialist stall could be placed in those outlying townships instead. This could potentially help to develop the atmosphere/community in those outlying townships perhaps ^^.
I would see this as solving two problems with the existing system:
- Removes crap/junk stuff from retainer bazaars so that adventurers focus on doing their own specialist sales instead of just putting up any old thing that drops.
- Removes the problem of time waste for adventurers who don't want to spend an hour searching for a relatively low value item.