Forum Settings
       
This Forum is Read Only

SE want to role play here, will you people do it already ?Follow

#1 Dec 23 2010 at 7:20 PM Rating: Default
*
219 posts
Look like not everyone get what SE presenting here, I hope you all know what is the RPG in MMORPG stand for.

SE is actually making a fantasy game that is base on a time without all these "instant" things that our world right now offer in our age.

I mean why are they so persist and insist on market wards? Well if you put some thoughts about how the ancient/ or medieval time, there is no auction house that operate just like our stock market today. No you can't submit your bids and get that share off the NASDAQ within 1 sec.

It seems that in ancient time, when people trying to sells their goods, they have "wards" or a street where most trading would occur. SE is trying to imitate that right now.


Leves are similar. In ancient time, these people doesn't have a mark on their head floating and shouting "I want someone to do this, will pay for your success". No, they don't. Agency and billboard is one of those thing people use to communicate and want things done.

Do you think any human would stand out on the street putting a exclamation mark on their head whenever they need works to be done?


I have to say SE done a great job with it because, they trying to make you role-play as a character in medieval or ancient time. But they also fail in not understanding, no one want to roleplay in RPG anymore, it would be more wise if they just make this a FPS game. I would definitely sell more.



Edited, Dec 23rd 2010 8:21pm by wrongfeifong

Edited, Dec 23rd 2010 8:22pm by wrongfeifong
#2 Dec 23 2010 at 7:27 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
283 posts
Or they where just lazy. This is not D&D, We are not playing a table top game here. This is a Video game. If they want an all role playing game they need full time DM's making up new story lines for us to roleplay are way through. people like to confuse RPG with table top. they are 2 difrent types of games.
#3 Dec 23 2010 at 7:48 PM Rating: Default
35 posts
I completely agree with the OP. What may people see as a "It would be so much easier if they just...." i happen to see as character and a sense of immersion into the game in all aspects. I know every other MMO may do them but that doesnt mean they are appropriate for the setting.

I very well may be a fanboy but at least i think i get what they are going for.
____________________________
#4 Dec 23 2010 at 8:24 PM Rating: Excellent
**
437 posts
wrongfeifong wrote:
Look like not everyone get what SE presenting here, I hope you all know what is the RPG in MMORPG stand for.

SE is actually making a fantasy game that is base on a time without all these "instant" things that our world right now offer in our age.

I mean why are they so persist and insist on market wards? Well if you put some thoughts about how the ancient/ or medieval time, there is no auction house that operate just like our stock market today. No you can't submit your bids and get that share off the NASDAQ within 1 sec.

It seems that in ancient time, when people trying to sells their goods, they have "wards" or a street where most trading would occur. SE is trying to imitate that right now.


Last time I checked, people couldn't teleport around to different places across the globe instantly... we can here. They had horses to ride, where are my horses/chocobos here? There are historical references to auctions as early as 500 BC. S-E has already made choices which cater to doing things faster with the teleports, so why did they try to recreate the wheel with 100s of retainers in one area who say nothing about what they're selling and can't even have a display for their items so you have a general idea? You could have gone with the EQ2 system even and had player housing double as a shop so you could have signs, a searchable place to find the goods and a person who would charge you 15% of your purchase to get the goods and give them to you right then and there. They decided not to.

wrongfeifong wrote:

Leves are similar. In ancient time, these people doesn't have a mark on their head floating and shouting "I want someone to do this, will pay for your success". No, they don't. Agency and billboard is one of those thing people use to communicate and want things done.

Do you think any human would stand out on the street putting a exclamation mark on their head whenever they need works to be done?


So why can't they call me out while I pass them by (voiced at that!) like they do in Everquest 2? ****, if you walk by them they could even send you a /tell if they have things for you to do. In FFXIV you get a little card, put it into the levequest vending machine, get your quest, kill your mobs and get your reward. Then in 36 hours maybe the naked moles you just killed are back at their antics and have to be killed again... and again... and again...

Most of us WANT quests with more substance. While we're on the subject. People in the old days didn't have to deal with elemental instabilities ******** up their attempts at crafting or having to try to get guildmarks to buy training by making the items that require the training and only then having a small chance to actually get a small portion of the marks needed.

wrongfeifong wrote:

I have to say SE done a great job with it because, they trying to make you role-play as a character in medieval or ancient time. But they also fail in not understanding, no one want to roleplay in RPG anymore, it would be more wise if they just make this a FPS game. I would definitely sell more.


It's not that people don't want to role-play. They don't want to do any of the boring, monotonous and unnecessary parts associated with it. Even in pen and paper, the GM will not force you to talk with 500 NPCs to find the item you want to buy over the course of 3 hours. If he does... you need to find a new GM.

____________________________
行く河の流れは絶えずしてしかも元の水にあらず。よどみに浮かぶ泡沫はかつ消えかつ結びて久しくとどまりたる例なし世の中にある人と住みかも全くのごとき。 -方丈記
#5 Dec 23 2010 at 8:31 PM Rating: Default
4 posts
You people are just so lazy, you want everything to be instant gratification. I need this, have to have, now plz, rather than making an actual effort to obtain something. How can you sit here and call SE lazy for not making everything entirely simplistic? The problem, to me it seems, is that there is a portion of this player base that is lazy.
#6 Dec 23 2010 at 8:33 PM Rating: Default
Scholar
**
685 posts
shinichoco wrote:
wrongfeifong wrote:
Look like not everyone get what SE presenting here, I hope you all know what is the RPG in MMORPG stand for.

SE is actually making a fantasy game that is base on a time without all these "instant" things that our world right now offer in our age.

I mean why are they so persist and insist on market wards? Well if you put some thoughts about how the ancient/ or medieval time, there is no auction house that operate just like our stock market today. No you can't submit your bids and get that share off the NASDAQ within 1 sec.

It seems that in ancient time, when people trying to sells their goods, they have "wards" or a street where most trading would occur. SE is trying to imitate that right now.


Last time I checked, people couldn't teleport around to different places across the globe instantly... we can here. They had horses to ride, where are my horses/chocobos here? There are historical references to auctions as early as 500 BC. S-E has already made choices which cater to doing things faster with the teleports, so why did they try to recreate the wheel with 100s of retainers in one area who say nothing about what they're selling and can't even have a display for their items so you have a general idea? You could have gone with the EQ2 system even and had player housing double as a shop so you could have signs, a searchable place to find the goods and a person who would charge you 15% of your purchase to get the goods and give them to you right then and there. They decided not to.

wrongfeifong wrote:

Leves are similar. In ancient time, these people doesn't have a mark on their head floating and shouting "I want someone to do this, will pay for your success". No, they don't. Agency and billboard is one of those thing people use to communicate and want things done.

Do you think any human would stand out on the street putting a exclamation mark on their head whenever they need works to be done?


So why can't they call me out while I pass them by (voiced at that!) like they do in Everquest 2? ****, if you walk by them they could even send you a /tell if they have things for you to do. In FFXIV you get a little card, put it into the levequest vending machine, get your quest, kill your mobs and get your reward. Then in 36 hours maybe the naked moles you just killed are back at their antics and have to be killed again... and again... and again...

Most of us WANT quests with more substance. While we're on the subject. People in the old days didn't have to deal with elemental instabilities ******** up their attempts at crafting or having to try to get guildmarks to buy training by making the items that require the training and only then having a small chance to actually get a small portion of the marks needed.

wrongfeifong wrote:

I have to say SE done a great job with it because, they trying to make you role-play as a character in medieval or ancient time. But they also fail in not understanding, no one want to roleplay in RPG anymore, it would be more wise if they just make this a FPS game. I would definitely sell more.


It's not that people don't want to role-play. They don't want to do any of the boring, monotonous and unnecessary parts associated with it. Even in pen and paper, the GM will not force you to talk with 500 NPCs to find the item you want to buy over the course of 3 hours. If he does... you need to find a new GM.


Asinine. It's not about realism as in whether the things in the fictional world exist in the real world. Realism as in do the elements of the fictional world make sense within the scope of the fictional world.
____________________________

Crafter Consortium Craftsman/Gatherers Linkshell
#7 Dec 23 2010 at 8:43 PM Rating: Decent
***
3,177 posts
When I play a video game, I want to be lazy. Is that so wrong?
____________________________
Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn
Grover Eyeveen - Hyperion Server
Viva Eorzea Free Company/Linkshell Leader - Hyperion Server

Aegis Server (2012-2013)
Figaro Server (2010-2012)

Final Fantasy XI:
Retired

Blog
#8 Dec 23 2010 at 8:45 PM Rating: Default
Scholar
**
685 posts
UltKnightGrover wrote:
When I play a video game, I want to be lazy. Is that so wrong?


Perhaps a SE game isn't for you then. Laziness doesn't go far in SE games unless they nerf it well enough.
____________________________

Crafter Consortium Craftsman/Gatherers Linkshell
#9 Dec 23 2010 at 8:55 PM Rating: Good
*
82 posts
Role play? Huh, I thought we were talking about FFXIV here, not Hello Kitty Island Adventure.

Okay, maybe that was a little harsh. On subject, RPG games are not all about the role-playing. Every D&D game I've sat down to has been a straight forward cut-n-slash dungeon crawl, little "Oh good Sir Knight" role-playing. FFXIV is no different. I don't want "accurate" fantasy, I want FUN fantasy, and asking for stuff that players want to make a game fun isn't such a horrible thing.

Seriously bub, this is Final Fantasy we are talking about, not 1300 A.D. Lighten up. :P
____________________________
Currently seeking active Melmond LS, even if it's just for conversation during game play.



Mikhalia the Picky wrote:

Rate sideways. It's the solution to everything.
#10 Dec 23 2010 at 9:14 PM Rating: Default
6 posts
KangeataMina wrote:
You people are just so lazy, you want everything to be instant gratification. I need this, have to have, now plz, rather than making an actual effort to obtain something. How can you sit here and call SE lazy for not making everything entirely simplistic? The problem, to me it seems, is that there is a portion of this player base that is lazy.



1st please do NOT say SE is wonderful for not inventing a AH look at XI. I have not to big of a problem with the current Market system and actually like it, but you are a bit off the mark by calling people lazy due to complaints about no AH. Yes it would be easier BUT some could be wishing for the older version of FF.

I for one would LOVE to have the old XI in the XIV skin. I like the UI, but the crafting is not as rewarding, I love the graphics, but am wanting a riding thing of some type, I love the new thought of leves but want a more diverse selection of mobs to kill.

#11 Dec 23 2010 at 9:15 PM Rating: Excellent
**
437 posts
Gadhelyn wrote:

Asinine. It's not about realism as in whether the things in the fictional world exist in the real world. Realism as in do the elements of the fictional world make sense within the scope of the fictional world.


I am just countering the real life examples the OP used in his argument? And who are any of us to say what does or does not belong in this world? We didn't create it lol. You really need to relax more.

I can understand and even appreciate you want this game to succeed and even for people to stop complaining about it. ****, I wanted it to be much better than it is. I have every Square-Enix RPG since Final Fantasy 1. But FFXIV in it's current state is unacceptable to me. The game is still far from where it needs to be. It does need improvements. Are all the suggested improvements GOOD ones? No, they aren't. But why don't you guys try to come up with a compromise instead of just being jerks about it? Also keep in mind that S-E specifically said they wanted the game to cater to the casual gamer more. That means people who don't have much time to play. If it takes them an excessive amount of time to do one thing, like buying something in the market wards before the search feature, then it gives them less time to actually do what they wanted to do with their time in game.
____________________________
行く河の流れは絶えずしてしかも元の水にあらず。よどみに浮かぶ泡沫はかつ消えかつ結びて久しくとどまりたる例なし世の中にある人と住みかも全くのごとき。 -方丈記
#12 Dec 23 2010 at 9:17 PM Rating: Excellent
**
437 posts
Faladis wrote:

Seriously bub, this is Final Fantasy we are talking about, not 1300 A.D. Lighten up. :P


Exactly this is an RPG not a simulation.
____________________________
行く河の流れは絶えずしてしかも元の水にあらず。よどみに浮かぶ泡沫はかつ消えかつ結びて久しくとどまりたる例なし世の中にある人と住みかも全くのごとき。 -方丈記
#13 Dec 23 2010 at 9:28 PM Rating: Good
**
409 posts
wrongfeifong wrote:
Look like not everyone get what SE presenting here, I hope you all know what is the RPG in MMORPG stand for.

SE is actually making a fantasy game that is base on a time without all these "instant" things that our world right now offer in our age.

I mean why are they so persist and insist on market wards? Well if you put some thoughts about how the ancient/ or medieval time, there is no auction house that operate just like our stock market today. No you can't submit your bids and get that share off the NASDAQ within 1 sec.

It seems that in ancient time, when people trying to sells their goods, they have "wards" or a street where most trading would occur. SE is trying to imitate that right now.


Leves are similar. In ancient time, these people doesn't have a mark on their head floating and shouting "I want someone to do this, will pay for your success". No, they don't. Agency and billboard is one of those thing people use to communicate and want things done.

Do you think any human would stand out on the street putting a exclamation mark on their head whenever they need works to be done?


I have to say SE done a great job with it because, they trying to make you role-play as a character in medieval or ancient time. But they also fail in not understanding, no one want to roleplay in RPG anymore, it would be more wise if they just make this a FPS game. I would definitely sell more.



Edited, Dec 23rd 2010 8:21pm by wrongfeifong

Edited, Dec 23rd 2010 8:22pm by wrongfeifong


Obvious troll is obvious...

*scrolls up the page*

Or...maybe not so obvious... >_>;
____________________________
Q: How many SE employees does it take to change a lightbulb?
A: None, it's working as intended.
#14 Dec 23 2010 at 9:31 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
**
685 posts
shinichoco wrote:
Gadhelyn wrote:

Asinine. It's not about realism as in whether the things in the fictional world exist in the real world. Realism as in do the elements of the fictional world make sense within the scope of the fictional world.


I am just countering the real life examples the OP used in his argument? And who are any of us to say what does or does not belong in this world? We didn't create it lol. You really need to relax more.


I'm sorry, but by this argument alone you can also say that an AH might not belong in this world.


Quote:
I can understand and even appreciate you want this game to succeed and even for people to stop complaining about it. ****, I wanted it to be much better than it is. I have every Square-Enix RPG since Final Fantasy 1. But FFXIV in it's current state is unacceptable to me. The game is still far from where it needs to be. It does need improvements. Are all the suggested improvements GOOD ones? No, they aren't. But why don't you guys try to come up with a compromise instead of just being jerks about it? Also keep in mind that S-E specifically said they wanted the game to cater to the casual gamer more. That means people who don't have much time to play. If it takes them an excessive amount of time to do one thing, like buying something in the market wards before the search feature, then it gives them less time to actually do what they wanted to do with their time in game.


I am a casual player, I only get to play on weekends. I don't really have problems buying what I want. I did give a suggestion for an AH for finished items, following an Ebay system, but it's been shot down for the most part. It goes back to Elmer's editorial: you have people who absolutely must have an AH, the economy wouldn't work without it then you have those gunning for the other side. And I don't see how you can get a middle ground, either SE continues to improve the Ward system while keeping the original idea in mind (walking over to an NPC retainer and buying from them) or they switch on an AH (play in a UI).
____________________________

Crafter Consortium Craftsman/Gatherers Linkshell
#15 Dec 23 2010 at 9:40 PM Rating: Good
*
72 posts
Hi all,

Every world has its own reality defined by its creators. I do not think this will lead anywhere but I do believe that SE created erozea with its own sandbox reality.

It definitely feels more 'real to me' (again I stress, to me) that the world did not have a stock market and perfect DHL mail system.

Why do I want this and condone things like magic, resurrection and teleportation? I don't know. I just prefer it.

I'll say again though, it is definitely easier to implement an AH compared to the market wards in every aspect. Why it isn't done is a pure design decision.

Players have grown so used to the conveniences of the AH that they feel it is a chore to investigate and seek the items they want using game-world knowledge. (I liken it much to dish washing, such an easy thing to do, but so tedious, irritating and tiresome. Well, way I was brought up, chores are just something everyone does for themselves because it is not good to ask someone else to do the dirty work.)

I find that strange because I rarely take more than 1hr to get what I want from anyone, although I do prepare for that by storing names of players with useful professions, buying favors, etc. I always get what I want because... I always try to give what others want with the skills I have.

e.g. I am 30+ for bs, gs, arm, lw, 20 wv, alc, carp. and I carry repair mats where I go. 1 incident, I knew someone who wanted to grind a session with his group of friends for a period of 6+ hrs. I helped by crafting near the aetherite so I can provide them with combat repairs, they helped by bartering drops for services and upgrades.

I doubt this form of personalized service to consumer relationship could be developed under an AH system where everyone talks to the database screen, however, this view is very subjective and based on speculation but alas, my view.

#16 Dec 23 2010 at 9:42 PM Rating: Good
***
3,177 posts
Gadhelyn wrote:
UltKnightGrover wrote:
When I play a video game, I want to be lazy. Is that so wrong?


Perhaps a SE game isn't for you then. Laziness doesn't go far in SE games unless they nerf it well enough.


On the contrary, I wanted to play FFXIV because I wanted a game that caters more to my schedule as I don't have much time to play this game. I may not want instant gratification, but I don't want to make up my own adventures if I'm planning on paying a monthly fee for that. I am lazy enough to experience another developer's game and world, I'd rather not go through the effort to create one myself. I could do that without playing FFXIV.
____________________________
Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn
Grover Eyeveen - Hyperion Server
Viva Eorzea Free Company/Linkshell Leader - Hyperion Server

Aegis Server (2012-2013)
Figaro Server (2010-2012)

Final Fantasy XI:
Retired

Blog
#17 Dec 23 2010 at 9:47 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
**
685 posts
UltKnightGrover wrote:
On the contrary, I wanted to play FFXIV because I wanted a game that caters more to my schedule as I don't have much time to play this game. I may not want instant gratification, but I don't want to make up my own adventures if I'm planning on paying a monthly fee for that. I am lazy enough to experience another developer's game and world, I'd rather not go through the effort to create one myself. I could do that without playing FFXIV.


Ok, put that way I can agree with that! I guess different aspects of the game appeal to different people. The market system, as is implemented now, I believe, is designed to give another realm of immersion for the DoH jobs. Make it emphasize the business as well as the manufacturing.
____________________________

Crafter Consortium Craftsman/Gatherers Linkshell
#18 Dec 23 2010 at 9:54 PM Rating: Good
*
72 posts
I'd like to add that every team/group aspect of an MMO starts with a 'hello' with a total stranger. I will support any means to increase the need we have to do that as players. No AH is a small inconvenience, just like getting 14 other players to do exactly what you want for your loot.
#19 Dec 23 2010 at 10:07 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
1,536 posts
I say we have this conversation after the next update and see where the game sits at, no point in arguing what the game did wrong now when the game is trying to fix those shortcomings - lets look at the comprehensive list of updates coming in "early 2011" again, see what they said they are working on, and start complaining about things we still wants fixed but aren't on that list. Most of the complaints right now are things already being considered, so there is no point in rehashing them; dunno, lets be creative I guess. BTW this topic was really unnecessary, because the way you go about defending the game OP just seems desperate to me. I love the game, I'm enjoying it, do I hate some aspects of it? yes - I hate the fact that there is no content but say I hate the market wards and someone tells me, "but its for immersion", I'd be like "f*** immersion then, give me an AH". You want to defend it? defend it with pros and cons - for me personally the market wards was a no go before the search update and with more fine tuning there is no need for an AH - I still think they're holding on so dearly to retainers because they have bigger plans for them, other than "immersion" and an extra dollar per retainer...they probably want to include them in companies somehow and maybe something else, who knows.

As for SP fix, which I see a lot of people complaining about, obviously SE doesn't think the SP gain in this game as is is any good. No one does. I'm pretty sure they want to delay us as much as possible until they fix the game leading up to PS3 release so that we don't get too far ahead by ranking up multiple classes to 50 and find that there is nothing to do beyond that. I would say the SP fix comes closer to PS3 release and I would say that is in a couple more months depending on how in depth their next content update and the one after is, I think they'll do good. I honestly sit back and look at what they've given us, sure a lot of it should've been there at release but honestly, its here now! so ***** release, I'm playing now, I'm loving it now and all I care about is now. I am upset the game was released unfinished but I'm not upset at the direction its taking. I think we all need to relax a little, see what SE has actually done already, see what they're doing soon and wait it out a little longer since we've already waited this long. And topics like this are really, really, unnecessary...again, they just seem desperate.
____________________________
MUTED
#20 Dec 23 2010 at 10:09 PM Rating: Good
Sage
*
163 posts
Quote:
Leves are similar. In ancient time, these people doesn't have a mark on their head floating and shouting "I want someone to do this, will pay for your success".


I suppose there were talking, hovering rocks that handed out quests in ancient times?
#21 Dec 23 2010 at 11:16 PM Rating: Good
*****
11,576 posts
wrongfeifong wrote:
Look like not everyone get what SE presenting here, I hope you all know what is the RPG in MMORPG stand for.


RPG means different things to different people and I'm afraid you don't get to dictate what it should mean.

For some people, it's like a play and each player is acting out their character's role in that play and immersing themselves in the fantasy world where stories are told and great deeds are done. And most of those people do it very, very poorly. Horribly. Embarrassingly bad. As in, "Don't do that **** in public channels because you look like a right sodding ******, you *********** emo attention *****" bad. I'm okay with it...if you want to relate to your comrades how your mother died during the war and your father died in childbirth and you were so poor as an orphan on the streets that your siblings ate each other, be my guest. I won't even poke fun at you if you do it in a public channel...I know plenty of other people will do it for me.

For others, an RPG is just another genre of game. They aren't interested in being actors or making up stories or anything of that nature and from a realistic point of view, those people comprise the majority. And an MMO developer needs to cater to them just as much as they cater to role-players. That's just how it works.

Quote:
I mean why are they so persist and insist on market wards? Well if you put some thoughts about how the ancient/ or medieval time, there is no auction house that operate just like our stock market today. No you can't submit your bids and get that share off the NASDAQ within 1 sec.

It seems that in ancient time, when people trying to sells their goods, they have "wards" or a street where most trading would occur. SE is trying to imitate that right now.


In ancient times, those street vendors wouldn't be standing around with 78 marmot pelts, a hatchet, a Rogaedyn sized shirt and two pairs of bronze leg armor in their pocket. They'd have a cart with their wares laid out for all passers-by to easily see and even if they were broke, they'd probably find a wall to lean against and spread everything out on the ground so that you know just walking by what is available. Don't try to play the realism card here. SE can't duplicate real world conditions for something like that so the next best thing is to produce a system that doesn't suck. They're getting there with the wards but as they were at launch, it was a failed concept.

Quote:
Leves are similar. In ancient time, these people doesn't have a mark on their head floating and shouting "I want someone to do this, will pay for your success". No, they don't. Agency and billboard is one of those thing people use to communicate and want things done.


In ancient times, if you slaughtered the flock of dodos that were eating all of the farmer's crops, they wouldn't be back 36 hours later needing to be slaughtered again. In ancient times, if animals were tainted by the pages of an evil magical book and you killed them, the odds of the exact same kinds of animals showing up in the exact same place with the exact same problem 36 hours later would be slim to none. In ancient times, if I had a hammer and a forge and some metal ingots, I wouldn't need to harness the magical powers of the elements to hammer those ingots into various different shapes and I sure as **** wouldn't end up with a super-destructive miniature ******* tornado destroying my work halfway through.

Again, don't try to bring realism to a fantasy game. The whole idea of fantasy is that you get to bend and/or break all the rules. A developer's role is to try and make a game that mixes just the right balance of fun and challenge to be entertaining and after 8 years as an MMO developer, SE is still learning how to do that.
#22 Dec 23 2010 at 11:29 PM Rating: Good
***
1,636 posts
If this is really the argument you want to use, I'll counter it by pointing out that this is a world that allows teleportation, and for those magical teleportation crystals to appear magically based on the deaths of woodland creatures. Surely this world has at least a few people per city smart enough to know how to create an inventory in a store room, and allow for buying and selling... The technology behind these "instant" transactions is literally as complex as a notebook and pen.
____________________________


#23 Dec 23 2010 at 11:46 PM Rating: Good
****
7,106 posts
MMORPG is really an outdated term that evokes a pedigree that has never really had much of a place in an MMO. Even single-player RPG video games are dominantly story-watching and not "role-playing."
#24 Dec 24 2010 at 4:22 AM Rating: Decent
35 posts
It seems that SE is using methods that avoid allowing too much Automation/Scripting to be possible. Auction stands allowed automatic buying so there was a trend of people setting up bots to either buy an item, or set up bots to claim monsters at predictable intervals. Market ward is a little like rpg craigslist and people still use that system even today. I guess it depends on how much you value convenient progress over inconvenient challenges.
____________________________


#25 Dec 24 2010 at 10:44 AM Rating: Good
Avatar
**
539 posts
KangeataMina wrote:
You people are just so lazy, you want everything to be instant gratification. I need this, have to have, now plz, rather than making an actual effort to obtain something. How can you sit here and call SE lazy for not making everything entirely simplistic? The problem, to me it seems, is that there is a portion of this player base that is lazy.


Now hold on there, if you have been listening to what people have been clamoring for it has little to do with instant gratification and more about content. I've been enjoying this game for what it is, but I will not turn a blind eye to what people are asking for. . .

First, an AH does not mean lazy, it means organization. Everything people want to sell in one place that is easily accessed.

The use of chocobos/airships does not indicate laziness. We have a very limited amount of anima in this game, which helps us get to various aetherytes for various reasons. There are a few I can not justify running to, like Camp Bluefog, I will ALWAYS teleport there. As a crafter you sometimes have to travel to 4 different aetherytes on all corners of a map. A chocobo will not only speed up this process, but it would ensure safe travel. There are some rank 15 leves that ask me to run past a nest of diremites to deliver. I simply can't do this, no matter how hard I try, without a teleport or a chocobo.

I guess you could call the desire for safe travel and organized market wards lazy. I don't think challenging is proportionate to the amount of monsters you need to avoid to get something done, or how many crappy bazaars you have to check before you find that one silver needle you've been needing. Challenging is a quest that requires a group of your friends to tackle...a NM that needs to be hunted . . . a title that is earned through questing. I think many of us are missing that aspect in this game. I'm sure it will come, but the desire for content and organization certainly does not make anyone lazy.
____________________________


#26CroBudi, Posted: Dec 24 2010 at 10:50 AM, Rating: Sub-Default, (Expand Post) QFT.
#27 Dec 24 2010 at 12:30 PM Rating: Good
*
77 posts
CroBudi wrote:
KangeataMina wrote:
You people are just so lazy, you want everything to be instant gratification. I need this, have to have, now plz, rather than making an actual effort to obtain something. How can you sit here and call SE lazy for not making everything entirely simplistic? The problem, to me it seems, is that there is a portion of this player base that is lazy.


QFT.


This dude quotes the truth with an acronym, because he's too lazy to type it out...thus bespeaking the truth of what he says! :P
#28 Dec 24 2010 at 12:41 PM Rating: Good
*
170 posts
LifegiverOfXegony wrote:
CroBudi wrote:
KangeataMina wrote:
You people are just so lazy, you want everything to be instant gratification. I need this, have to have, now plz, rather than making an actual effort to obtain something. How can you sit here and call SE lazy for not making everything entirely simplistic? The problem, to me it seems, is that there is a portion of this player base that is lazy.


QFT.


This dude quotes the truth with an acronym, because he's too lazy to type it out...thus bespeaking the truth of what he says! :P


Great setup and awesome catch! :D

Though seriously, it doesn't have to be do the same thing a 1000 times either, why not 100 times? Progress should be logical and not a timesink as SE wanted to avoid. The fact it is like this right now might be to hold off so content can be made...
____________________________


#29 Dec 24 2010 at 12:42 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
437 posts
well ive had a go at you before OP but I dont know what to do here. rate up or down. I liked your OP until the last two sentences. I like RP. I like this game. SE are doing a good job despite their initial wrongs / early release. but as to the point of making another rant post I guess ill have to rate you down. Sorry.
____________________________

Metin - Phoenix - BLM75 WHM48 Retired

http://cojenova.enjin.com/ff14forum

#30 Dec 25 2010 at 3:37 PM Rating: Decent
*
71 posts
You can play the role of someone who is dedicated to advancing there craft or discipline without making up elaborate and off-putting back-stories etc. Just by playing the game you are assuming the role of your character, but you don't have to regale people with stories of how you have made millions in a fictitious silk trade, or talk about how you are on your way to your fathers star light celebration festival. When I play the game, I consider everything that happens in the game to be part of my characters reality. I am an adventurer, unraveling the mysteries of eorzia, and I take the things I do seriously, but I do not feel the need to create another game or separate reality within the FFXIV. What happens in the game happens, and I treat it as if it were real to a reasonable extent, but I play with a purpose. If you want to stand around and talk about some fancy of your own creation, so be it, but do it privately, because it gets old fast.
____________________________
Death by Asuran Fists.
This forum is read only
This Forum is Read Only!
Recent Visitors: 14 All times are in CST
Anonymous Guests (14)