Forum Settings
       
« Previous 1 2 3
This Forum is Read Only

Worst game everyone played ? Follow

#1 Dec 23 2010 at 8:15 PM Rating: Decent
***
2,202 posts
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_IFEgJWOnY

:( Not even AVP saved this game :(
____________________________
MUTED
#2 Dec 23 2010 at 8:20 PM Rating: Excellent
How's that saying about opinions go again?
#3 Dec 23 2010 at 8:31 PM Rating: Decent
*
82 posts
Osarion, Goblin in Disguise wrote:
How's that saying about opinions go again?

Saying wrote:

"Opinions are like ********, everyone has one."


I think that's how it went.
____________________________
Currently seeking active Melmond LS, even if it's just for conversation during game play.



Mikhalia the Picky wrote:

Rate sideways. It's the solution to everything.
#4 Dec 23 2010 at 8:37 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
**
685 posts
Y'know, that's the problems with reviewers. They're humans and therefore have different opinions than me. The local newspaper guy gave bad reviews for the Lord of the Rings trilogy because he hates scifi/fantasy.
____________________________

Crafter Consortium Craftsman/Gatherers Linkshell
#5 Dec 23 2010 at 8:41 PM Rating: Decent
***
3,177 posts
Wouldn't be surprised if it gets best comeback of next year.
____________________________
Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn
Grover Eyeveen - Hyperion Server
Viva Eorzea Free Company/Linkshell Leader - Hyperion Server

Aegis Server (2012-2013)
Figaro Server (2010-2012)

Final Fantasy XI:
Retired

Blog
#6 Dec 23 2010 at 8:43 PM Rating: Default
***
2,202 posts
Keep going, i almost have my daily quota of tears
____________________________
MUTED
#7 Dec 23 2010 at 8:46 PM Rating: Excellent
Also, since when did everyone play that Jenny McCarthy workout game? Smiley: dubious Or FFXIV for that matter?
#8 Dec 23 2010 at 8:47 PM Rating: Good
**
437 posts
Gadhelyn wrote:
Y'know, that's the problems with reviewers. They're humans and therefore have different opinions than me. The local newspaper guy gave bad reviews for the Lord of the Rings trilogy because he hates scifi/fantasy.


Opinions are usually based on facts. Seriously, open your eyes and look at FFXIV. A lot of the process of doing stuff is not actually fun (now before you whip me in fan rage, let me try to explain). Running from point A to B is not really fun. But it takes longer to run from say Ul'Dah to Camp Drybone than it does to complete one or two leves in Drybone. Sure you could teleport, but you'd waste your anima really fast. Then there's the really high level mobs like the ants. If one of those ants is right in front of the narrow passage leading to Drybone, you got to wait for it to move. Which is... not really "fun". So while the end result of doing leves may be enjoyable, I am spending more time doing not-so-fun things than I am the fun things.

If some of the not-so-fun things were made more enjoyable, crafting and DoL "minigames" for example. We get chocobos and/or horses to rent and ride places to make the run shorter, perhaps some more interesting terrain features like the rainbow in La Theine Plateau and such, then sure. More people will find FFXIV more enjoyable. But right now, people have a much lower tolerance to the not-so-fun stuff you are able to ignore. The people who enjoy the game, tend to play it less than the people who are not very happy with it.
____________________________
行く河の流れは絶えずしてしかも元の水にあらず。よどみに浮かぶ泡沫はかつ消えかつ結びて久しくとどまりたる例なし世の中にある人と住みかも全くのごとき。 -方丈記
#9 Dec 23 2010 at 8:51 PM Rating: Default
Scholar
**
295 posts
No one who complains about the game really has a good reason to dislike it. Most of the reasons they come up with are things that RPG's and MMO's all have in common.

Also, everyone played the free beta, which was pretty ******. I mean, no anima regen and bugs up the wazoo. No one really played the game after release I think.

That being said, I had issues with most MMO's that were released recently. Aion is one in particular that I played for the first month, then dropped. If you weren't at the forefront of the crafting and gathering in that game, there wasn't jack **** you could do in it. Once I lost being one of the 5 people who could gather certain items, it wasn't proffitable anymore to play the game, everything became flooded and the game devs virtually made botter's their surrogate sons and daughters.

When they tried to fix some things, they didn't seem to have the heart to go as far as they needed to make things okay again. For a PvP oriented game, making it a ***** to grind to highest level on a character certainly sucked. and if you weren't capped, you were nothing. Also, the rewards for PvP as far as experience goes, it was a bunch of ****. Hardly any xp even though they made it such a fun game to gank each other in. I had no confidence in their ability to make the necessary changes to make the game something fun. or if they would make the changes, it would cost money.

Star trek online was so terrible that I didn't even bother playing the game after beta. It's funny that they sold lifetime memberships for that game, and even more funny that people bought it for $200. Wonder what they will do when the servers shut down on that steaming pile of ****. Admittedly, the pvp was kinda fun at times, but there were some imbalances and it was the only thing to do.

on that note, I think that most MMO's start of terribad and get better, but I have more confidence in SE than in most of these other guys. Compared to some other companies, SE has a lot more to lose and something to gain by making this game a success, and I trust that they will do what is necessary to get it done. I also don't want to play much until they get it done personally. We'll see what happens. In any case, you can't compare FPS to an MMORPG. Apples and oranges.
#10 Dec 23 2010 at 8:52 PM Rating: Default
***
2,202 posts
Osarion, Goblin in Disguise wrote:
Also, since when did everyone play that Jenny McCarthy workout game? Smiley: dubious Or FFXIV for that matter?


I'm guessing that from all the people that bough said game's the majority said they where bad ?
____________________________
MUTED
#11 Dec 23 2010 at 8:57 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
685 posts
shinichoco wrote:
Opinions are usually based on facts. Seriously, open your eyes and look at FFXIV.


Ok, let's go through your post
Quote:

A lot of the process of doing stuff is not actually fun (now before you whip me in fan rage, let me try to explain).


Opinion ("fun" cannot be measured using a standardized system that means the same thing for everyone, therefore opinion, not fact)

Quote:
Running from point A to B is not really fun.


Opinion

Quote:
But it takes longer to run from say Ul'Dah to Camp Drybone than it does to complete one or two leves in Drybone.


Hey, you did get a fact there!

Quote:
Sure you could teleport, but you'd waste your anima really fast.


Variable fact. Depends on how often you play. Using teleports to get to your leves seem like a waste of anima if you're on every reset, but if you're on every other or more, then it's not so bad because it'll regen by then.

Quote:
Then there's the really high level mobs like the ants. If one of those ants is right in front of the narrow passage leading to Drybone, you got to wait for it to move. Which is... not really "fun".


There's that "fun" opinion.

Quote:
So while the end result of doing leves may be enjoyable, I am spending more time doing not-so-fun things than I am the fun things.


This'll have to actually be surveyed amongst a large, random selection of the population to get a good not-so-fun time to fun time ratio.

Quote:
If some of the not-so-fun things were made more enjoyable, crafting and DoL "minigames" for example.


Opinion. I enjoy crafting.

Quote:
We get chocobos and/or horses to rent and ride places to make the run shorter, perhaps some more interesting terrain features like the rainbow in La Theine Plateau and such, then sure. More people will find FFXIV more enjoyable.


Also opinion. Public opinion =/= fact. Just majority opinion.

Quote:
But right now, people have a much lower tolerance to the not-so-fun stuff you are able to ignore.


Actually, this can be a fact, but needs an actual survey to back it up. I don't think you can speak for everyone.

Quote:
The people who enjoy the game, tend to play it less than the people who are not very happy with it.


Ok, can also be a fact if, like I just said, you have the data to back it up. But go figure, a game SE designed to appeal to the casual crowd appeals more to the casual crowd.
____________________________

Crafter Consortium Craftsman/Gatherers Linkshell
#12 Dec 23 2010 at 8:58 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
*
107 posts
Except I don't believe this was one reviewers opinion. They did a poll on it, FFXIV probably won that (last I checked it was leading by like 10%).

Even still, on most websites, the staff come together to form a panel and come to a conclusion on which title gets what award. I don't think I've heard of a (major) site that has one person deciding on these awards.

Given this, no matter how much you try to sugar coat it (i.e. this being one persons opinion), you have to accept the facts: This game is disliked by most reviewers and players alike.

Anyway, I'm glad it won. Hopefully it also takes "Most disappointing game". SE truly deserves it for what they handed its most hardcore fans (IDC how much they've improved it since launch). It may be beating a dead horse, but IMO it's worthwhile if it drills into SE (and other devs) that they can't hide behind big IP to release a half *** title.

The chances of FFXIV turning it around (past a niche audience) are minuscule at this point. If all it does during its lifetime is serve as a warning sign to SE (and all others) than at least it served some purpose in expanding this genre.

Edited, Dec 23rd 2010 10:09pm by Nutchoss
#13 Dec 23 2010 at 8:59 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
685 posts
Nutchoss wrote:
Given this, no matter how much you try to sugar coat it (i.e. this being one persons opinion), you have to accept the facts: This game is disliked by many, reviewers and players alike.


FTFY. Absolutes suck, you can't speak for everyone.
____________________________

Crafter Consortium Craftsman/Gatherers Linkshell
#14 Dec 23 2010 at 9:02 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
**
386 posts
Nutchoss wrote:
Given this, no matter how much you try to sugar coat it (i.e. this being one persons opinion), you have to accept the facts: This game is disliked by all, reviewers and players alike.


Really? I didn't realize I dislike the game. Thanks for making my mind up for me.
#15 Dec 23 2010 at 9:03 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
*
107 posts
Osarion, Goblin in Disguise wrote:
Also, since when did everyone play that Jenny McCarthy workout game? Smiley: dubious


I think you underestimate the casual / "moms trying to lose weight" audience.

I'll just point you towards Wii Fit sales figures as an example: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wii_Fit#Sales
#16 Dec 23 2010 at 9:04 PM Rating: Good
*
71 posts
MetalSmith wrote:
No one who complains about the game really has a good reason to dislike it. Most of the reasons they come up with are things that RPG's and MMO's all have in common.


are you serious? no reason to dislike it? come on man. the game is terrible and still is terrible. That ******** all MMOs on release stuff. No bad MMOs on release suck. Go look at trions Rift, its in Beta and is running amazing, and already has a lot of content.

I really do not sir how the fans of this game make up excuses for it. Just say yes this game blows and it will take for ever to get better and by the time it is improved no one will care because in 2011 a lot of more interesting MMOs are coming and we will shut up with our excuses of why it is a good game...This game deserves that title, hands down.
#17 Dec 23 2010 at 9:06 PM Rating: Good
**
412 posts
If you follow gamespots reviewers but turned a blind eye to FFXIV's review, you're just a hypocrite.
They based this on a poll. The majority of people agreed. If you don't care about what the majority thinks, then you shouldn't even be posting in this thread. If you don't care, we don't care you don't care.
____________________________
They appeared from the sky, the one without a heart... "Omega"...And the one who followed it..."Shinryuu"...
Final Fantasy 5
#18 Dec 23 2010 at 9:08 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
*
107 posts
Gadhelyn wrote:
Nutchoss wrote:
Given this, no matter how much you try to sugar coat it (i.e. this being one persons opinion), you have to accept the facts: This game is disliked by many, reviewers and players alike.


FTFY. Absolutes suck, you can't speak for everyone.


ThePacster wrote:
Nutchoss wrote:
Given this, no matter how much you try to sugar coat it (i.e. this being one persons opinion), you have to accept the facts: This game is disliked by all, reviewers and players alike.


Really? I didn't realize I dislike the game. Thanks for making my mind up for me.



My bad, didn't mean to put all there. Gonna edit that.

What I meant in my mind was all (as in both groups) reviewers and players dislike the game. Not that every single person in those groups dislikes it (obviously not true).

Edited, Dec 23rd 2010 10:10pm by Nutchoss
#19 Dec 23 2010 at 9:14 PM Rating: Decent
*
71 posts
and don't you love how the fans defend there game by just replying about grammatical errors and how you said it.

Fact. Game is hated by more people then it is liked
Fact. Game still has a terrible UI
Fact. Game is still is boring to most people
Fact. Game has amazing copy and paste terrain
Fact. Game was terrible for all of 2010
#20 Dec 23 2010 at 9:22 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
685 posts
ironmonk25 wrote:
and don't you love how the fans defend there game by just replying about grammatical errors and how you said it.


Want me to try your post too?

Quote:
Fact. Game is hated by more people then it is liked


Ok, fact, but can the opinions of others stop trying to ruin my enjoyment of a game I have a positive opinion about?

Quote:
Fact. Game still has a terrible UI


"Terrible" and "fun" are adjectives. Adjectives, in general, cannot be used as facts. Most adjectives used in facts are "more", "less", "similar". Those lend to quantitative observations that can be confirmed by everyone.

Quote:
Fact. Game is still is boring to most people


Also a fact, if you get a good sampling of players and not just "those that visit gamespot". But once again, my enjoyment of the game should not depend on your enjoyment of the game.

Quote:
Fact. Game has amazing copy and paste terrain


They directly addressed this one. To have terrain with so much detail requires copy and paste or else the file sizes necessary for the terrains would be obscenely large.

Quote:
Fact. Game was terrible for all of 2010


From gamestop, apparently voted by people who visit gamespot, which does not represent an accurate sampling of ffxiv players. It's like coming to a political decision based upon polling those who tune into Fox News.

Edited, Dec 23rd 2010 9:22pm by Gadhelyn
____________________________

Crafter Consortium Craftsman/Gatherers Linkshell
#21 Dec 23 2010 at 9:24 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
386 posts
ironmonk25 wrote:
and don't you love how the fans defend there game by just replying about grammatical errors and how you said it.

Fact. Game is hated by more people then it is liked
Fact. Game still has a terrible UI
Fact. Game is still is boring to most people
Fact. Game has amazing copy and paste terrain
Fact. Game was terrible for all of 2010


And don't you love how people won't shut up trying to bash the game when people just want to enjoy it as SE continues to improve it?

Fact. There are people that like this game.
Fact. The game has UI people have been displeased with and has been vastly improved compared to release.
Fact. A large group of people notice a lack of content which SE is obviously going to impliment in the future.
Fact. There is copy and paste terrain if you really care to examine every twist and turn of the game but still looks beautiful.
#22 Dec 23 2010 at 9:29 PM Rating: Decent
**
412 posts
Quote:

They directly addressed this one. To have terrain with so much detail requires copy and paste or else the file sizes necessary for the terrains would be obscenely large.


That doesn't justify anything. It destroys immersion and has become the sole reason I don't pick this game up. I can live with boring gameplay, lack of content, and a terrible UI, but the environment is something that lures me in to the game. I want to feel like the world is alive and is breathing just like I am. What we have is this crap instead..and to make it worse, they told us the reason...am I going to expect new areas to be alike because of the space allotments?
That really worries me. Things like gameplay, content, ui, those can be fixed quickly.. but creating a world is something that takes a lot of time and effort and it is time FFXIV does not have right now.
____________________________
They appeared from the sky, the one without a heart... "Omega"...And the one who followed it..."Shinryuu"...
Final Fantasy 5
#23 Dec 23 2010 at 9:30 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
295 posts
ironmonk25 wrote:

are you serious? no reason to dislike it? come on man. the game is terrible and still is terrible. That bullsh*t all MMOs on release stuff. No bad MMOs on release suck. Go look at trions Rift, its in Beta and is running amazing, and already has a lot of content.

I really do not sir how the fans of this game make up excuses for it. Just say yes this game blows and it will take for ever to get better and by the time it is improved no one will care because in 2011 a lot of more interesting MMOs are coming and we will shut up with our excuses of why it is a good game...This game deserves that title, hands down.


For what reasons do you dislike the game?

List them.

I've listed the things I dislike numerous times. Battle system has very few clearly defined rolls. SE has recently replaced the lead battle system designer with the lead battle designer from XI, a game that defines roles quite exquisitely.

There is no AH. This is a simple fix, and, in my opinion, essential for a stable economy. I honestly prefer it if the AH remains separate for each town, like XI. It factors in travel time to competing against other players, which is great. Eve has also done this to great effect. I think that XIV will cave in soon and add this option to the game out of necessity, or the market wards will turn into what an auction house essentially is.

Redundancy. There is too much of it. Free teleportations, less menu browsing to play minigames, or more interesting minigames for gathering.

Content. There are not enough quests throughout the towns that have significance. Quests that give a substantial amount of gil, quests that are repeatable. Reasons for doing quests even, like fame. There were many meta games in XI that many people don't pay attention to, but everyone participated in. Fame and Conquest were excellent in most regards. Their offspring, in aht urgan and in wings of godess, not as much so, but they were alright.

In the end, the game doesn't suck because it's intrinsically bad, nor because it is broken. It sucks because there are some basic things that need to be adjusted or added. Because 90% of the people that review this game as a heaping pile of **** can't list out things like this, I disregard their statements as heaping piles of ********* If you REALLY want to be talking out of your ***, go do it somewhere else, or be willing to contribute to the conversation. Otherwise, go enjoy your PvP WoW / Aion Clone.
#24 Dec 23 2010 at 9:39 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
295 posts
And to double post in order to reply to the terrain issues.

As a person well acquainted with Hammer, I think I can think of a couple of reasons as to why they would do such an abhorrent thing as copy and pasting terrain. Each time you fine one of these repeated places in the terrain, you often find that there are not as many mobs in that area right? Imagine that each of these areas is sort of like the loading zone. The game cannot load the entire game at once. It needs to break it up. These copied around pieces of terrain are the areas in between. SE wants as little going on as possible in these sections.

At least that was my observations during the beta.

Each area of the map is zoned like XI zones, but there is no loading screen between them. Part of the lag in some areas is actually your computer trying to load the zone and unload a previous zone. The sizes aren't exactly correct to do this fluently IMO though.
#25 Dec 23 2010 at 10:00 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
**
494 posts
MetalSmith wrote:
No one who complains about the game really has a good reason to dislike it. Most of the reasons they come up with are things that RPG's and MMO's all have in common.


I've been playing since beta, i have a rank 50mrd, ive written a guide on here with over 30,000 hits, and a new updated guide since the SP change. I have almost every job at rank 20 (i will have every one at 20 by january).

This game had issues in beta. 100s of people made it VERY clear what the problems were. Even when the game started 100s of people complained.

The game had only 5 diff zones a (8 if you count underground subzones) and only 3 cities. Most of the zones have things that can't be exp'd on. So more than half the world is un-useable

leves are repetitive

the grind is insanely boring

crafting is just hitting normal synth over and over and over

you only kill like 3 diff mobs to grind a job from 1 - 50

the storyline sucks hardcore

endgame is a joke and endgame weapons are weaker than normal crafted weapons

i could go on for pages. there are a LOT of reasons to dislike the game. And theres a good reason the dev team got fired.
#26 Dec 23 2010 at 10:11 PM Rating: Good
***
1,083 posts
Worst game I ever played had to be Unlimited Saga. Ironically a square game....

Square still owes me $50 for that pile of stinking trash.
____________________________
Wada: "There may be some areas of testing that were lacking or too rigid."
#27 Dec 23 2010 at 10:21 PM Rating: Decent
Avatar
**
852 posts
rikkuotaku wrote:
Worst game I ever played had to be Unlimited Saga. Ironically a square game....

Square still owes me $50 for that pile of stinking trash.


I bought that too! Loved the art, hated the game.
____________________________
#28 Dec 23 2010 at 10:23 PM Rating: Excellent
*
131 posts
Even in it's released state, I highly doubt FFXIV was worse then AVP. Have you guys even played AVP? Believe me, it's horrible. And Lost Planet 2, that game was sweet. I could see FFXIV winning "Biggest letdown" of 2010, because it was honestly expected to be a MMO juggernaut but has fallen short. Maybe gamespot has weird tastes in games, or a weird definition of "worst".
____________________________
Aurelius wrote:
I too recall the days of my childhood when an empty cardboard box and a little imagination could be one of the most entertaining things in the world. Of course, as my experiences evolved so too did my interests and my tastes in entertainment and while I could probably still find limited entertainment value in a large enough empty cardboard box, I certainly wouldn't pay someone a monthly fee for the privilege of access to it.
#29 Dec 23 2010 at 10:25 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
**
777 posts
I'm sure I have something to top this somewhere in my past, but I recently finished Last Rebellion on the PS3. That was a pretty bad game. Easy, too, which didn't help things.
#30 Dec 23 2010 at 10:26 PM Rating: Default
*
155 posts
you guys still crying over a game? lol
____________________________


#31 Dec 23 2010 at 10:31 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
*
180 posts
rikkuotaku wrote:
Worst game I ever played had to be Unlimited Saga. Ironically a square game....

Square still owes me $50 for that pile of stinking trash.



That is the first thing that came to my mind when I saw the thread title. Before purchase: "Hey a new Square game, don't know anything about it but I love Square games." After playing it for an hour: "Oh god Square, I'll never give you the benefit of the doubt again."

And I think the quote from the beginning of the discussion went: "Opinions are like aholes, everyone has one and they usually stink."
____________________________
FFXI: PLD BST BRD RDM SAM PUP


#32 Dec 23 2010 at 10:43 PM Rating: Excellent
*
204 posts
KingKon wrote:
Even in it's released state, I highly doubt FFXIV was worse then AVP. Have you guys even played AVP? Believe me, it's horrible. And Lost Planet 2, that game was sweet. I could see FFXIV winning "Biggest letdown" of 2010, because it was honestly expected to be a MMO juggernaut but has fallen short. Maybe gamespot has weird tastes in games, or a weird definition of "worst".
To be fair, that is sort of what the award is supposed to be for. It's not the worst game of the year, it's the worst game everyone played. Directly proportional to both the number of people who expected something better and the lack of overall quality - basically, a letdown.

There are certainly a lot of worse games than FFXIV. There are a lot of worse games than any of the "nominees," in fact. But a lot less people played those games because they weren't expected to be as great as FFXIV was.


Of course, I'd give the award to FFXIII, since they can't even fix that crap with updates (and I probably enjoy XIV more as it is anyway), but I know a lot of other people liked it.

Edited, Dec 23rd 2010 9:10pm by TheMoreYouKnow
____________________________
The More You Know 三☆
#33 Dec 23 2010 at 10:56 PM Rating: Good
**
429 posts
Not surprising in the least.

For the fanboys who don't agree with the video, the game is objectively bad. That's why everyone is making fun of it, that's why a huge amount of potential customers left the game, that's why SE is apologizing non-stop, and no, it's not a coincidence that every single reviewer gave it a sub-par score and it's Metacritic scores are also sub par. If you can't see it:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bias_blind_spot


ibratedowns
#34 Dec 23 2010 at 11:40 PM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
**
676 posts
Quote:
For the fanboys who don't agree with the video, the game is objectively bad. That's why everyone is making fun of it, that's why a huge amount of potential customers left the game, that's why SE is apologizing non-stop, and no, it's not a coincidence that every single reviewer gave it a sub-par score and it's Metacritic scores are also sub par. If you can't see it:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bias_blind_spot
It should be noted, however, that those blind spots work both ways. Some people who 'dislike' FFXIV are bandwagoners who have barely even played the game, if at all, and only base their opinions of it on those of other people. That said, with all the negative press on the game people will begin to form negative associations with it.

I read four reviews of the game, and only one of those actually had all of the facts and a player who actually got over rank 10 in any one class. Most of them were filled with the same sort of rumour-milling that goes about on the internet after any poor release. I have honestly never heard of anyone actually basing their entire review off of another persons work before, but the poor facts and misleading remarks point to the obvious.

That's not to say the game was perfect upon release, nor that it's been perfected with all the updates since. What I take issue with is people blowing the little issues out of proportion when many of them exist even today with the majority of mainstream MMO games. The big things like the UI, the random number crafting and mining and the lack of non-levequest diversions are something everyone can agree need fixing.

The only question I have is was this video based on the opinions of these distanced reviewers who've never played it, or the players themselves? That would make all the difference to me.

Edited, Dec 24th 2010 12:40am by Glitterhands
____________________________

FFXI: Siren Server: Seiowan Lvl 99 WHM, SCH, BLM
FFXIV: Ragnarok Server: Lemuria Glitterhands All Classes 50
#35 Dec 23 2010 at 11:55 PM Rating: Good
**
429 posts
Glitterhands wrote:
It should be noted, however, that those blind spots work both ways. Some people who 'dislike' FFXIV are bandwagoners who have barely even played the game, if at all, and only base their opinions of it on those of other people. That said, with all the negative press on the game people will begin to form negative associations with it.

I read four reviews of the game, and only one of those actually had all of the facts and a player who actually got over rank 10 in any one class. Most of them were filled with the same sort of rumour-milling that goes about on the internet after any poor release. I have honestly never heard of anyone actually basing their entire review off of another persons work before, but the poor facts and misleading remarks point to the obvious.

That's not to say the game was perfect upon release, nor that it's been perfected with all the updates since. What I take issue with is people blowing the little issues out of proportion when many of them exist even today with the majority of mainstream MMO games. The big things like the UI, the random number crafting and mining and the lack of non-levequest diversions are something everyone can agree need fixing.

The only question I have is was this video based on the opinions of these distanced reviewers who've never played it, or the players themselves? That would make all the difference to me.

Edited, Dec 24th 2010 12:40am by Glitterhands


Agreed that bias works both ways, but it's no longer a coincidence when after hundreds of reviews are tallied up, the game still has an overall sub-par score.

Also most of the game's problems are unrelated to a character's level. Don't use that as an excuse for dismissing reviews.
#36 Dec 24 2010 at 12:13 AM Rating: Decent
Avatar
**
676 posts
Quote:
Also most of the game's problems are unrelated to a character's level. Don't use that as an excuse for dismissing reviews.
Actually, I disagree here to some small extent. One of the biggest things levelled at it is a "lack of story content", a problem which reviewers assume to be true because they haven't yet hit ranks 5-10 and begun the story yet.
____________________________

FFXI: Siren Server: Seiowan Lvl 99 WHM, SCH, BLM
FFXIV: Ragnarok Server: Lemuria Glitterhands All Classes 50
#37 Dec 24 2010 at 12:22 AM Rating: Excellent
**
923 posts
Is this all this forum has become?
#38 Dec 24 2010 at 1:03 AM Rating: Decent
****
6,898 posts
People who ***** about copy paste terrain clearly have never played most mmo's. Go play WoW and tell me how many of their caves have the EXACT SAME LAYOUT. Literally, I think there are 3 cave designs in the whole game. It's extremely commonplace for games to copy paste terrain in order to save file space, and for a game that is as detailed and beautifully rendered as ffxiv, I'm really not surprised. I mean, if you really want the game to require an even BETTER graphics card and more processing power, then keep complaining about this and maybe SE will update it. But to complain about copy paste terrain when it has absolutely NO effect on your gameplay is just ridiculous.

As for the rest of the complaints, I'm so **** sick of people bashing this game. Since its release, the game has improved so much that I have a hard time believing this is still SE we are dealing with. No they haven't fixed everything yet, but they have given us timelines as to when fixes will be happening, and have stuck to those timelines in a way they never did with ffxi. They have done everything in their power to right the ship, including giving us the game for FREE to play until they can fix it to their standards and completely revamping their dev staff in order to meet player demands. If that isn't enough for you, just GTFO. I for one don't want to hear about all the whiny people who can't handle a little adversity while playing their free game.

Edited, Dec 24th 2010 2:05am by BartelX
____________________________
Bartel Hayward--- Ultros Server
The Kraken Club <ZAM>
50 WAR • 50 MNK • 50 MIN • 50 GSM • 50 ARM • 50 LTW • 50 CUL • 50 WVR
thekrakenclub.shivtr.com
#39 Dec 24 2010 at 1:16 AM Rating: Good
*
165 posts
samosamo wrote:
Is this all this forum has become?

/jazzhands
#40 Dec 24 2010 at 1:20 AM Rating: Good
Am I the only one who thought the announcer in that video had the most monotonous voice ever?
____________________________
IRC: Kagutsuchi

FFXI:
Tolite
Formerly of Lakshmi, now in Asura

FFXIV:
Kagu Tsuchi
Ultros
#41 Dec 24 2010 at 1:43 AM Rating: Default
***
2,202 posts
rikkuotaku wrote:
Worst game I ever played had to be Unlimited Saga. Ironically a square game....

Square still owes me $50 for that pile of stinking trash.


That game sucked bad <.<
____________________________
MUTED
#42 Dec 24 2010 at 2:05 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
25 posts
I don't think FFXIV is the "Worst game everyone played," but it certainly was worthy of the title "Most likely to fail due to too early release." I'll admit, there is still a lot that is wrong with this game and it will take time to fix that. I really wish SE would have held it back from release for another 6-8 months rather than give everyone 6-8 months free play while they fix it. And let us not forget you still have to pay $50 just to register so you can play it.

If this would have taken the extra time to develop content and other tweaks/fixes I'm sure the game would have had a better review than what it got. Then again, it also would have been stuck as a 2011 release rather than a 2010, but a 2011 late good release is better than a 2010 "zomg what were they thinking" bad release. As of right now FFXIV is where it should have been in the final open beta stage. The last few UI and mechanics being tweaked with all the major "meat and potatoes" quest content waiting for retail release, but this didn't happen.

I love the level of detail they put into the models and small details, but this is possibly one of the worst MMO retails I've laid eyes on. I never played Conan, but I seriously doubt it was this bad >.<

I still have fun in small doses, but I can see how hardcore gamers would lose interest in this relatively fast. There just isn't much to do if you have a lot of free time to play the game making the Fatigue and max of 8 leve in 36 hours seem really redundant.
#43 Dec 24 2010 at 12:14 PM Rating: Excellent
**
723 posts
Final Fantasy XIV is far from the worst game I've played this year, but it is by far the most disappointing. We all had very high expectations and it just didn't meet them. It's improving, but still needs a year or so in my opinion.
#44 Dec 24 2010 at 12:18 PM Rating: Decent
***
3,825 posts
Daimakaicho, Eater of Souls wrote:
Am I the only one who thought the announcer in that video had the most monotonous voice ever?


Ben Stien
____________________________
FFXI:Sylph - Perrin 75 Hume THF; Retired (At least from my use any way)
EVE Online:ScraperX; Retired
WAR:IronClaw- Peryn SW;SkullThrone- Grymloc BO; Retired


#45 Dec 24 2010 at 12:27 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
**
991 posts
gamespots voting system is one of the worst out there

theres 2 big issues i have with this voting

1) they are giving out siter rewards for those who vote for the winners(which causes everyone to vote for the same person once anyone takes the lead) this obviously causes lobsided results as it no longer becomes about who should win or lose each catagory, but who to vote for so that you can earn this reward.

2) the voting wasnt supposed to end for another 2 weeks, and FFXIV was only ahead by 1000 votes.....yet its been declared the winner, so how the **** does that work?


granted im not FFXIV should win or lose, but its amazing how the site isnt even playing fair by its own rules at this point. in the end the editors picks are more something to go with then readers choice, which is what it was declared the winner of.
____________________________


#46 Dec 24 2010 at 12:32 PM Rating: Good
***
1,408 posts
Osarion, Goblin in Disguise wrote:
Also, since when did everyone play that Jenny McCarthy workout game? Smiley: dubious Or FFXIV for that matter?



I was thinking the same, XIV was a total bad release which lets face it, if it was released next month it would get MUCH better reviews.

AVP I did get this.. and regretted it... and would say thats the worst game of 2010 for me.

As for that work out game ? who brought it exactly? I didnt know it existed. Then on the other hand isnt it a work out program more then a game?
____________________________


If my velocity starts to make you sweat, then just don't
let go
#47 Dec 24 2010 at 12:39 PM Rating: Excellent
***
1,636 posts
I think that FFXIV was the worst attempt at a legitimately good game. I don't count obvious shovelware and crappy licensed games.


Edited, Dec 24th 2010 1:39pm by KujaKoF
____________________________


#48 Dec 24 2010 at 2:22 PM Rating: Good
*
175 posts
I played some bad games this year, and I was not happy with ff14 at first, but they keep fixing it and always will until the servers stop for good.

As far asLost Planet 2... or any of the other games on the list, I doubt a team is taking in the complaints to re-release or update the game.

The game has and will get better, those others most likely will not and will stay bad...


Also... I agree, Unlimited Saga was the WORST.. I remember being so excited about "SquareEnix" .. what a let down.

Edited, Dec 24th 2010 3:25pm by gennji
____________________________

Skills & Levels: lodestone.finalfantasyxiv.com/rc/character/status?cicuid=1355392
Bazaar: ffxiv.yg.com/bazaar?fl&mn=Shounin&srv=17
100 local levequests completed!
100 regional levequests completed!
2000 enemies defeated!
#49 Dec 24 2010 at 3:49 PM Rating: Excellent
I never played Unlimited SaGa, but SaGa Frontier was nearly unplayable to me.
#50 Dec 24 2010 at 3:56 PM Rating: Decent
*
175 posts
You are one of the lucky ones :)

I am sure you can find some youtube videos on it, just to get an idea of how horrid of a game it is, makes Frontier look like FF7 hehe

It was SE's first game for the PS2, bad first release for the team... IMO
____________________________

Skills & Levels: lodestone.finalfantasyxiv.com/rc/character/status?cicuid=1355392
Bazaar: ffxiv.yg.com/bazaar?fl&mn=Shounin&srv=17
100 local levequests completed!
100 regional levequests completed!
2000 enemies defeated!
#51 Dec 24 2010 at 4:21 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
**
260 posts
Gadhelyn wrote:
shinichoco wrote:
Opinions are usually based on facts. Seriously, open your eyes and look at FFXIV.


Ok, let's go through your post
Quote:

A lot of the process of doing stuff is not actually fun (now before you whip me in fan rage, let me try to explain).


Opinion ("fun" cannot be measured using a standardized system that means the same thing for everyone, therefore opinion, not fact)

Quote:
Running from point A to B is not really fun.


Opinion

Quote:
But it takes longer to run from say Ul'Dah to Camp Drybone than it does to complete one or two leves in Drybone.


Hey, you did get a fact there!

Quote:
Sure you could teleport, but you'd waste your anima really fast.


Variable fact. Depends on how often you play. Using teleports to get to your leves seem like a waste of anima if you're on every reset, but if you're on every other or more, then it's not so bad because it'll regen by then.

Quote:
Then there's the really high level mobs like the ants. If one of those ants is right in front of the narrow passage leading to Drybone, you got to wait for it to move. Which is... not really "fun".


There's that "fun" opinion.

Quote:
So while the end result of doing leves may be enjoyable, I am spending more time doing not-so-fun things than I am the fun things.


This'll have to actually be surveyed amongst a large, random selection of the population to get a good not-so-fun time to fun time ratio.

Quote:
If some of the not-so-fun things were made more enjoyable, crafting and DoL "minigames" for example.


Opinion. I enjoy crafting.

Quote:
We get chocobos and/or horses to rent and ride places to make the run shorter, perhaps some more interesting terrain features like the rainbow in La Theine Plateau and such, then sure. More people will find FFXIV more enjoyable.


Also opinion. Public opinion =/= fact. Just majority opinion.

Quote:
But right now, people have a much lower tolerance to the not-so-fun stuff you are able to ignore.


Actually, this can be a fact, but needs an actual survey to back it up. I don't think you can speak for everyone.

Quote:
The people who enjoy the game, tend to play it less than the people who are not very happy with it.


Ok, can also be a fact if, like I just said, you have the data to back it up. But go figure, a game SE designed to appeal to the casual crowd appeals more to the casual crowd.


And for the TL:DR summary:

This game is great fun if you aren't playing it :D

Sorry Gadheyln, couldn't resist. Actually, you make good points. My line of what's fun tends to agree with the poster you were quoting, but I have LS mates who love running about turning in their crafting leves, and rarely tele even when they do have the Anima to burn

-Teeg


____________________________
Why do gnats drop rat tails and lemurs drop gnat wings?
« Previous 1 2 3
This forum is read only
This Forum is Read Only!
Recent Visitors: 23 All times are in CST
Anonymous Guests (23)