when I see RNG I automatically think ranger and it is making it very hard to understand the above posts. Someone help me out?
Random Number Generator. In games they use to determine if you get the loot or not and which piece of loot. This is how I think of it. Say you have 36% chance to get a runestone and 64% to not get a runestone. The game assigns a value for each outcome, so if the RNG rolls a 1-36 you get the runestone but if it rolls a 37-100 you get nothing. OR it could be 1-64 nothing and 65-100 you get a runestone. Just depends on how they program it.
Then, there are 12 runestones in the game currently so there could another breakdown. If the RNG rolls:
1-3: Runestone A
37-100: No loot. Edited, Dec 28th 2010 4:00pm by RoyalBrayden
Good explanation, but I wouldn't be surprised if they used a two roll system.
i.e. First roll determines either something drops, or it doesn't. Then the second roll (if roll succeeds to loot) determines exactly which piece of gear drops.
I don't know a single MMO that doesn't use a RNG.
I do however think (if the threads I have been reading are accurate since I have no personal experience with faction NMs yet) it could use some improving. My idea would be to have specific pieces be able to drop from different NMs. One NM can drop the head pieces, however there can still be some RNG to see which piece it drops. In a group there is almost certain to be someone that needs that piece. I don't think having every NM be able to drop any piece is a good system, there is just way too many possibilities there.
NOTE: I could be miss-understanding how the drops currently work so sorry if that is the case.
I'm well aware it exists. But the problem occurs when *everything* is RNG based in Risk vs Reward content. Players feel cheated because they can easily get screwed over and get *nothing* for their time based on SE's previous models and history with their MMOs (it's why you always see people that complain about endgame in FFXI always mention Sky and Dynamis; purely random chance that burnt and turned away a lot of people from the game).
RNG needs to exist, but there also needs to be some consolation prize. Even if say the NMs offered tokens, where you needed multiple ones to get a piece of gear (and to make it even the gear you could 'buy' isn't as good by design), then at least the time invested will have a MINIMUM reward for engaging.
Players always say "You should run content for the fun of it!" and people do.... once. If there's no acceptable rate of reward to continue to do so (which is what happens with pure RNG), they simply stop caring. That translates to wasted development time because the very nature of MMOs depend on people doing repetitive tasks for rewards.
And I know, personally, I'm getting too old and frustrated to be continually engage in something where I'm completely at mercy of the RNG. I absolutely hated it in FFXI, as it's the most poorly thought out timesink component period, and I hate that they seem to be continuing that line of content here yet again. Edited, Dec 29th 2010 3:27am by StrijderVechter