Forum Settings
       
« Previous 1 2 3
This Forum is Read Only

Naoki yoshida 4gamer interviewFollow

#1 Dec 29 2010 at 3:39 AM Rating: Good
9 posts
http://www.4gamer.net/games/092/G009287/20101226004/

but in japanese ;_;
____________________________

[ffxivsig]1823622[/ffxivsig]
#2 Dec 29 2010 at 4:22 AM Rating: Good
***
3,416 posts
Seems that there will be a lodestone post on January 1st. He's going to tell us his plans for the year etc.

They chose him as the director because he has a long history with MMO's, DaOC in particular (played it for 6 years) but also WoW and EQ.

He wants to make the game more forgivable for weaker PC's.

His favorite FF is 7 since it is close to what he wants to do with XIV.

luciferu from bg translated these tidbits.

Edited, Dec 29th 2010 1:22pm by Hyanmen
____________________________
SE:
Quote:
We really want to compete against World of Warcraft and for example the new Star Wars MMO.

#3 Dec 29 2010 at 4:33 AM Rating: Default
23 posts
lol, google translate did not help much "Now, we are investigating to sort out what to do to get there. Anyway, now we need to FFXIV, one at a time that will surely keep his promise. Other way to regain your trust it is not considered."

Edited, Dec 29th 2010 5:36am by cheezer5000
#4 Dec 29 2010 at 4:40 AM Rating: Good
***
3,416 posts
"Anyway, now we need to take one step at a time to make sure that the promise is kept. There is no other option if we want to regain your trust."
____________________________
SE:
Quote:
We really want to compete against World of Warcraft and for example the new Star Wars MMO.

#5 Dec 29 2010 at 4:53 AM Rating: Excellent
Elmer Signal


...should be here any minute or Zamtham City may be doomed
____________________________
FFXI:Sylph - Perrin 75 Hume THF; Retired (At least from my use any way)
EVE Online:ScraperX; Retired
WAR:IronClaw- Peryn SW;SkullThrone- Grymloc BO; Retired


#6 Dec 29 2010 at 5:05 AM Rating: Excellent
**
437 posts
Another random tidbit as I read it:

He thinks one of the most important things to making the game better is to make sure the UI, terminology and the basic "rules" behind the game are more easily understood.

As one of the blue headers put it: "If you can't understand the rules, you can't have fun" {lit: If you don't understand the rules, you don't understand the interest[what makes the game fun/interesting]}

Edit:

They talk about quests and how there is no real "path to follow" they are just kind of scattered here and there. Yoshida responds by saying he wants to stream line the quests and such a bit. But at the same time he mentions that higher level players that have a better understanding are helping the younger players along and those higher level players are going to want more content to do as well.

There is also talk of Yoshida having thought about the possibility of a Test Server.

Another random tidbit:

4 Gamer: [not going to TL the comment, but the question asked was] What do you think the difference between an MMO and a Consumer Game is?

Yoshida: I think of an MMO as a theme park

4 Gamer: A theme park? Could you expand on that a bit?

Yoshida: You can think of a consumer game being the "longest roller coaster in the world" or the "haunted house filled with the scariest monsters in the world." They are like specialized attractions. Attractions are what get the customers in the park. In that sense, an MMO is kind of like a theme park that is filled with rides and other attractions, and of course, your roller coasters.


Here's the bit on FFVII:

4G:(they talk a bit about what makes a FF and Yoshida responds by saying you really don't have an FF. Everyone has their own favorite FF as they are all made by different people and have different elements to them which leads to..."

4G: By the way, what is your favorite FF?

Yoshida: I liked FFVII. I would like to make an MMO close to as powerful as [that game was]. The main story and mini games, even the life of the characters, everything was just an awesome fusion of power. It had an impact that North American and European consumers still haven't forgotten. If we can put such powerful contents into Eozora, I'm sure FFXIV will have a firm hold as an MMORPG.


Edited, Dec 29th 2010 11:41am by shinichoco
____________________________
行く河の流れは絶えずしてしかも元の水にあらず。よどみに浮かぶ泡沫はかつ消えかつ結びて久しくとどまりたる例なし世の中にある人と住みかも全くのごとき。 -方丈記
#7 Dec 29 2010 at 5:26 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
283 posts
Wow.. I must say from the small bits of info you all have pulled out so far I like what this guy is saying. Seems like this guy knows about what makes MMOs fun. Can't wait to see what he has planed for us.
#8 Dec 29 2010 at 5:39 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
2,153 posts
I especially like how he praises WoW's UI and player addon culture. (page 2, top)
I like the squealy sounds fanboys make when stabbed in the heart.
#9 Dec 29 2010 at 5:47 AM Rating: Excellent
**
437 posts
Rinsui wrote:
I especially like how he praises WoW's UI and player addon culture. (page 2, top)
I like the squealy sounds fanboys make when stabbed in the heart.


Well, he says he wants to make the UI of FFXIV as easy to understand as the default UI for WoW. He also says that he thinks that UI addons are probably a good way to go, but that WoW was not where it started... that it actually started with Ultima Online and their PVP weapon swap addon. (He is more knowledgeable than I in this regard, I am afraid. I have not played UO thus I have no idea what he is really talking about T-T)
____________________________
行く河の流れは絶えずしてしかも元の水にあらず。よどみに浮かぶ泡沫はかつ消えかつ結びて久しくとどまりたる例なし世の中にある人と住みかも全くのごとき。 -方丈記
#10 Dec 29 2010 at 5:55 AM Rating: Excellent
Scholar
**
283 posts
shinichoco wrote:

Yoshida: I liked FFVII. I would like to make an MMO close to as powerful as [that game was]. The main story and mini games, even the life of the characters, everything was just an awesome fusion of power. It had an impact that North American and European consumers still haven't forgotten. If we can put such powerful contents into Eozora, I'm sure FFXIV will have a firm hold as an MMORPG.


Edited, Dec 29th 2010 11:41am by shinichoco


OMG if we get anything like the Gold Saucer I will be in love!!
#11 Dec 29 2010 at 5:57 AM Rating: Excellent
**
437 posts
Sethern79 wrote:
shinichoco wrote:

Yoshida: I liked FFVII. I would like to make an MMO close to as powerful as [that game was]. The main story and mini games, even the life of the characters, everything was just an awesome fusion of power. It had an impact that North American and European consumers still haven't forgotten. If we can put such powerful contents into Eozora, I'm sure FFXIV will have a firm hold as an MMORPG.


Edited, Dec 29th 2010 11:41am by shinichoco


OMG if we get anything like the Gold Saucer I will be in love!!


I will pwnz0r you in Mog House. =P
____________________________
行く河の流れは絶えずしてしかも元の水にあらず。よどみに浮かぶ泡沫はかつ消えかつ結びて久しくとどまりたる例なし世の中にある人と住みかも全くのごとき。 -方丈記
#12 Dec 29 2010 at 7:21 AM Rating: Good
**
621 posts
why didn't they put this man in the lead from the start?
____________________________
Kweh?!

...prophesizing the golden patch since october 2010.
#13 Dec 29 2010 at 7:28 AM Rating: Good
*
71 posts
insanekangaroo wrote:
why didn't they put this man in the lead from the start?

Very good question. All we can do now is hope implementations of his vision goes fast, quick, and is most of all that it is effective.
____________________________
[ffxivsig]1815659[/ffxivsig]
#14 Dec 29 2010 at 8:54 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
**
812 posts
So far I like what I'm hearing from the new director. I'm hoping to see what, if any, 'ninja fixes' get snuck into the next patch by the new team. :)

Edited, Dec 29th 2010 10:43am by Jefro420
____________________________
Abaddon Active Player Roster
- All your Fabul Sever are belong to us! -

[ffxivsig]1815754[/ffxivsig]
#15 Dec 29 2010 at 9:40 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
**
691 posts
Rinsui wrote:
I especially like how he praises WoW's UI and player addon culture. (page 2, top)
I like the squealy sounds fanboys make when stabbed in the heart.


Yeah, he praises the user-made UI addons because they are what made WOW's UI what it is. 4/5 additions to the base UI were taken directly from user-made addons. In effect, he is praising those who originally made the addons, not the staff who basically used unpaid labor done by their own players.

Hopefully, that means he plans to try to get the top brass to allow such addons in XIV, however I have my doubts since user-made enhancements in XI were, at one point before legal action was taken, primarily used to cheat or otherwise compromise the integrity of the game.



Edited, Dec 29th 2010 9:43am by Uryuu
#16 Dec 29 2010 at 9:49 AM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
**
531 posts
By what a few of you are saying, he sounds promising and pretty knowledgeable. I hope he delivers so even more positive FFXIV discussions can sprout up.
____________________________





[ffxivsig]1758394[/ffxivsig]
#17 Dec 29 2010 at 10:09 AM Rating: Decent
**
429 posts
Uryuu wrote:
Yeah, he praises the user-made UI addons because they are what made WOW's UI what it is. 4/5 additions to the base UI were taken directly from user-made addons. In effect, he is praising those who originally made the addons, not the staff who basically used unpaid labor done by their own players.

Hopefully, that means he plans to try to get the top brass to allow such addons in XIV, however I have my doubts since user-made enhancements in XI were, at one point before legal action was taken, primarily used to cheat or otherwise compromise the integrity of the game.



Edited, Dec 29th 2010 9:43am by Uryuu


Even with the threat of cheating, I think more good will come out of custom addons than not having them. There are a lot of very bright people that play FFXIV and MMOs in general, some brighter than FFXIV's dev team.
#18 Dec 29 2010 at 10:15 AM Rating: Good
***
1,636 posts
Wolfums wrote:
Uryuu wrote:
Yeah, he praises the user-made UI addons because they are what made WOW's UI what it is. 4/5 additions to the base UI were taken directly from user-made addons. In effect, he is praising those who originally made the addons, not the staff who basically used unpaid labor done by their own players.

Hopefully, that means he plans to try to get the top brass to allow such addons in XIV, however I have my doubts since user-made enhancements in XI were, at one point before legal action was taken, primarily used to cheat or otherwise compromise the integrity of the game.



Edited, Dec 29th 2010 9:43am by Uryuu


Even with the threat of cheating, I think more good will come out of custom addons than not having them. There are a lot of very bright people that play FFXIV and MMOs in general, some brighter than FFXIV's dev team.


Letting players adjust the UI to their tastes is the best way to know what they players want.
____________________________

[ffxivsig]971172[/ffxivsig]
#19 Dec 29 2010 at 10:55 AM Rating: Decent
****
9,526 posts
The tidbits sound great.... waaaant full translation

/prays
____________________________
lolgaxe wrote:
When it comes to sitting around not doing anything for long periods of time, only being active for short windows, and marginal changes and sidegrades I'd say FFXI players were the perfect choice for politicians.


#20 Dec 29 2010 at 11:04 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
*
214 posts
Sounds great, look forward to seeing the full translation and news on what he plans to change first.

Edited, Dec 29th 2010 12:09pm by Diakar
____________________________
[ffxivsig]510035[/ffxivsig]
#21 Dec 29 2010 at 11:09 AM Rating: Decent
*
141 posts
Wolfums wrote:
Uryuu wrote:
Yeah, he praises the user-made UI addons because they are what made WOW's UI what it is. 4/5 additions to the base UI were taken directly from user-made addons. In effect, he is praising those who originally made the addons, not the staff who basically used unpaid labor done by their own players.

Hopefully, that means he plans to try to get the top brass to allow such addons in XIV, however I have my doubts since user-made enhancements in XI were, at one point before legal action was taken, primarily used to cheat or otherwise compromise the integrity of the game.



Edited, Dec 29th 2010 9:43am by Uryuu


Even with the threat of cheating, I think more good will come out of custom add-ons than not having them. There are a lot of very bright people that play FFXIV and MMOs in general, some brighter than FFXIV's dev team.

If those would come my only concern would be System Resources, System Requirements... i fear that adding custom add-on well you know some of the will eat more of CPU/GPU/RAM :/ I certainly wouldn't want that on my pc D:

Anyway This Guy seem very promising, very hmm nice xD and FFVII <3 man if he do FFVII here i will be in even greater heaven xD


And btw.
Hyanmen wrote:
He wants to make the game more forgivable for weaker PC's.

His favorite FF is 7 since it is close to what he wants to do with XIV.

I'm in love with him! XD

Edited, Dec 29th 2010 12:15pm by EmiyaShirou
#22 Dec 29 2010 at 11:15 AM Rating: Decent
**
429 posts
EmiyaShirou wrote:
If those would come my only concern would be System Resources, System Requirements... i fear that adding custom add-on well you know some of the will eat more of CPU/GPU/RAM :/ I certainly wouldn't want that on my pc D:

Anyway This Guy seem very promising, very hmm nice xD and FFVII <3 man if he do FFVII here i will be in even greater heaven xD

And btw.
Edited, Dec 29th 2010 12:13pm by EmiyaShirou


Yeah, but custom addons will be optional. =P
#23 Dec 29 2010 at 11:21 AM Rating: Good
****
9,526 posts
Wolfums wrote:
EmiyaShirou wrote:
If those would come my only concern would be System Resources, System Requirements... i fear that adding custom add-on well you know some of the will eat more of CPU/GPU/RAM :/ I certainly wouldn't want that on my pc D:

Anyway This Guy seem very promising, very hmm nice xD and FFVII <3 man if he do FFVII here i will be in even greater heaven xD

And btw.
Edited, Dec 29th 2010 12:13pm by EmiyaShirou


Yeah, but custom addons will be optional. =P


I've heard that they aren't really optional for anyone wanting to raid in WoW

>.>

I don't know myself because I haven't played that far in the game but I would honestly rather not have a situation like what people have described where people expect you to use addons and those addons do things like tell you how much hate you are getting and when to take two steps backwards or something.

I dunno, it is cool if some people like playing like that but I wouldn't like it if SE decided to open the floodgates for programs like that. I just wouldn't. Because people can say they are optional but if the community doing upper tier group based content decides that addons make things optimal or whatever .... you can be darn sure that they won't feel optional
____________________________
lolgaxe wrote:
When it comes to sitting around not doing anything for long periods of time, only being active for short windows, and marginal changes and sidegrades I'd say FFXI players were the perfect choice for politicians.


#24 Dec 29 2010 at 11:21 AM Rating: Default
Scholar
***
1,523 posts
Crap.

I was hoping they were going the FFIII (US) route. The only aspect in which FFVII > FFIII (US) is graphics and even that part is kind of iffy.

Crap.

He wants to make it even more forgiveable then it already is?!

Crap!

WoW? No!

How old is that guy anyway? I feel like my generation is getting skipped...
____________________________
____(>°°)D_->__(O°°)>-_<(;,,;)>_C-(°°Q)__O~~_t(°°<)_(;o0)___<(;,,;)>_<(;,,;)>_<(;,,;)>_<(;,,;)>_<(;,,;)>_____
[ffxivsig]499417[/ffxivsig]
#25 Dec 29 2010 at 11:29 AM Rating: Decent
*
141 posts
Olorinus the Vile wrote:
Wolfums wrote:
EmiyaShirou wrote:
If those would come my only concern would be System Resources, System Requirements... i fear that adding custom add-on well you know some of the will eat more of CPU/GPU/RAM :/ I certainly wouldn't want that on my pc D:

Anyway This Guy seem very promising, very hmm nice xD and FFVII <3 man if he do FFVII here i will be in even greater heaven xD

And btw.
Edited, Dec 29th 2010 12:13pm by EmiyaShirou


Yeah, but custom addons will be optional. =P


I've heard that they aren't really optional for anyone wanting to raid in WoW

>.>

Sure that addone enabling system alone would eat my resrources... even if you would use basic UI...

And there is this bellow:
Olorinus the Vile wrote:


I don't know myself because I haven't played that far in the game but I would honestly rather not have a situation like what people have described where people expect you to use addons and those addons do things like tell you how much hate you are getting and when to take two steps backwards or something.

I dunno, it is cool if some people like playing like that but I wouldn't like it if SE decided to open the floodgates for programs like that. I just wouldn't. Because people can say they are optional but if the community doing upper tier group based content decides that addons make things optimal or whatever .... you can be darn sure that they won't feel optional

I really wouldn't like thing to be like that... and especially i don't want thing when one person gets advantages of Add-ones and stuff when i can't... especially i want to play fair, i want to have the same thing available for me like for others not like someone is lazy and put some add-one to make his life easier... (Hope you get my point)



RedGalka wrote:

Crap.

He wants to make it even more forgiveable then it already is?!

I certainly hope he do this, and i hope you didn't mean what you wrote here RedGalka... this game was poorly optimized from the start and still is you can work it on much lower spec PC with pretty middle/high quality without problems... but you need to apply some tricks to cheat the poorly optimization... so YES Nakoi please do this game correctly ^^

Edited, Dec 29th 2010 12:32pm by EmiyaShirou
#26 Dec 29 2010 at 11:41 AM Rating: Decent
**
429 posts
Wow, I just realized you guys are completely anti-progress. I hope SE doesn't listen to you guys at all.
#27 Dec 29 2010 at 11:45 AM Rating: Default
Scholar
***
1,523 posts
Quote:
I certainly hope he do this, and i hope you didn't mean what you wrote here RedGalka... this game was poorly optimized from the start and still is you can work it on much lower spec PC with pretty middle/high quality without problems... but you need to apply some tricks to cheat the poorly optimization... so YES Nakoi please do this game correctly ^^


I thought he was talking about actual gameplay, not graphics?

Quote:
Wow, I just realized you guys are completely anti-progress. I hope SE doesn't listen to you guys at all.


Wow @ thinking turning FF into a WoW is actually progress.

Edited, Dec 29th 2010 6:47pm by RedGalka
____________________________
____(>°°)D_->__(O°°)>-_<(;,,;)>_C-(°°Q)__O~~_t(°°<)_(;o0)___<(;,,;)>_<(;,,;)>_<(;,,;)>_<(;,,;)>_<(;,,;)>_____
[ffxivsig]499417[/ffxivsig]
#28 Dec 29 2010 at 11:46 AM Rating: Good
**
257 posts
He can talk the talk but can he walk the walk?
____________________________
FFXI(retired 04/2006): Epedemicoptikz, Phoenix Server, 75 SAM/NIN/WAR
[ffxivsig]1690269[/ffxivsig]
#29 Dec 29 2010 at 11:51 AM Rating: Decent
**
429 posts
RedGalka wrote:
Wow @ thinking turning FF into a WoW is actually progress.

Edited, Dec 29th 2010 6:47pm by RedGalka


Wow @ thinking that having SOME features other MMOs have turns a game into a WOW clone. Not everyone is a ********* like you.
#30 Dec 29 2010 at 11:57 AM Rating: Good
****
9,526 posts
Wolfums wrote:
RedGalka wrote:
Wow @ thinking turning FF into a WoW is actually progress.

Edited, Dec 29th 2010 6:47pm by RedGalka


Not everyone is a ********* like you.


Do you really think it is masochistic to want everyone to play on an even playing field? Customizable interface? Bring it on! Add-on programs which remove challenge from the game? No thanks.

____________________________
lolgaxe wrote:
When it comes to sitting around not doing anything for long periods of time, only being active for short windows, and marginal changes and sidegrades I'd say FFXI players were the perfect choice for politicians.


#31 Dec 29 2010 at 12:00 PM Rating: Good
4 posts
Chocobo breeding via the shepherd class + PVP Chocobo Racing at the Gridania/Uldah/LL race tracks FTW!!!! I'd be a subscriber for life!
#32 Dec 29 2010 at 12:02 PM Rating: Good
*
141 posts
RedGalka wrote:
Quote:
I certainly hope he do this, and i hope you didn't mean what you wrote here RedGalka... this game was poorly optimized from the start and still is you can work it on much lower spec PC with pretty middle/high quality without problems... but you need to apply some tricks to cheat the poorly optimization... so YES Nakoi please do this game correctly ^^


I thought he was talking about actual gameplay, not graphics?


Quote:
He wants to make the game more forgivable for weaker PC's.

#33 Dec 29 2010 at 12:04 PM Rating: Decent
*
54 posts
Wolfums wrote:
Wow, I just realized you guys are completely anti-progress. I hope SE doesn't listen to you guys at all.


Agreed!
____________________________
[ffxivsig]1335481[/ffxivsig]
#34 Dec 29 2010 at 12:04 PM Rating: Good
****
9,526 posts
Convict1974 wrote:
Chocobo breeding via the shepherd class + PVP Chocobo Racing at the Gridania/Uldah/LL race tracks FTW!!!! I'd be a subscriber for life!


I really want chocobo breeding and gardening to return.

Maybe that makes me a bad person for wanting fun things from XI to be moved to XIV - but darn it - I liked those things and I know I would like them even more with some changes (like making chocobo racing something you actually DO rather than watch... or at least offering the choice racing other players in addition to npcs)
____________________________
lolgaxe wrote:
When it comes to sitting around not doing anything for long periods of time, only being active for short windows, and marginal changes and sidegrades I'd say FFXI players were the perfect choice for politicians.


#35 Dec 29 2010 at 12:05 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
1,523 posts
EmiyaShirou wrote:
RedGalka wrote:
Quote:
I certainly hope he do this, and i hope you didn't mean what you wrote here RedGalka... this game was poorly optimized from the start and still is you can work it on much lower spec PC with pretty middle/high quality without problems... but you need to apply some tricks to cheat the poorly optimization... so YES Nakoi please do this game correctly ^^


I thought he was talking about actual gameplay, not graphics?


Quote:
He wants to make the game more forgivable for weaker PC's.



I guess he could mean computers...

Or Playable Characters <.< >.>
____________________________
____(>°°)D_->__(O°°)>-_<(;,,;)>_C-(°°Q)__O~~_t(°°<)_(;o0)___<(;,,;)>_<(;,,;)>_<(;,,;)>_<(;,,;)>_<(;,,;)>_____
[ffxivsig]499417[/ffxivsig]
#36 Dec 29 2010 at 12:10 PM Rating: Decent
*
141 posts
RedGalka wrote:
EmiyaShirou wrote:
RedGalka wrote:
Quote:
I certainly hope he do this, and i hope you didn't mean what you wrote here RedGalka... this game was poorly optimized from the start and still is you can work it on much lower spec PC with pretty middle/high quality without problems... but you need to apply some tricks to cheat the poorly optimization... so YES Nakoi please do this game correctly ^^


I thought he was talking about actual gameplay, not graphics?


Quote:
He wants to make the game more forgivable for weaker PC's.



I guess he could mean computers...

Or Playable Characters <.< >.>

Oh Oo didn't looked at this from this point of view... i hope he mean computers...
#37 Dec 29 2010 at 12:34 PM Rating: Decent
36 posts
Regarding add ons... GO FOR BROKE! I mean.. who did not use Windower and all its nifty addons when playing FFXI? Would be one step in the right direction to make em "street legal" imo.
#38 Dec 29 2010 at 12:46 PM Rating: Decent
****
9,526 posts
Caleberiel wrote:
Regarding add ons... GO FOR BROKE! I mean.. who did not use Windower and all its nifty addons when playing FFXI? Would be one step in the right direction to make em "street legal" imo.


I know! All those claim bots made the game SO much more fun!

aka: no I didn't cheat.

Edited, Dec 29th 2010 10:51am by Olorinus
____________________________
lolgaxe wrote:
When it comes to sitting around not doing anything for long periods of time, only being active for short windows, and marginal changes and sidegrades I'd say FFXI players were the perfect choice for politicians.


#39 Dec 29 2010 at 12:49 PM Rating: Excellent
*****
11,576 posts
shinichoco wrote:

As one of the blue headers put it: "If you can't understand the rules, you can't have fun" {lit: If you don't understand the rules, you don't understand the interest[what makes the game fun/interesting]}


This statement stood out for me. It could mean many things, but I can tell you that a substantial frustration with the crafting system right now is that even if someone thinks they know how it works, they don't. There are too many influences that aren't explained. Too many vague explanations. Too many abilities that don't seem to work the way one might expect them to. It becomes even more frustrating when you'd like to provide SE with feedback on the systems and the best we can do is guess as to what's going on.
#40 Dec 29 2010 at 12:52 PM Rating: Decent
**
429 posts
Olorinus the Vile wrote:
Caleberiel wrote:
Regarding add ons... GO FOR BROKE! I mean.. who did not use Windower and all its nifty addons when playing FFXI? Would be one step in the right direction to make em "street legal" imo.


I know! All those claim bots made the game SO much more fun!


Don't be ridiculous, claim bots were not UI addons, and SE would not release API that allowed people to make bots. Your strawman is showing.
#41 Dec 29 2010 at 12:57 PM Rating: Good
Sage
**
534 posts
EmiyaShirou wrote:
RedGalka wrote:
EmiyaShirou wrote:
RedGalka wrote:
Quote:
I certainly hope he do this, and i hope you didn't mean what you wrote here RedGalka... this game was poorly optimized from the start and still is you can work it on much lower spec PC with pretty middle/high quality without problems... but you need to apply some tricks to cheat the poorly optimization... so YES Nakoi please do this game correctly ^^


I thought he was talking about actual gameplay, not graphics?


Quote:
He wants to make the game more forgivable for weaker PC's.



I guess he could mean computers...

Or Playable Characters <.< >.>

Oh Oo didn't looked at this from this point of view... i hope he mean computers...


I looked at that as meaning computers....which in turn meaning they are preparing to nerf some graphics to help pave the way for PS3. The graphics may also be putting up other roadblocks for new ideas that they want to implement.

I'm all for this. The game looks great...but scaling back a bit would be fine by me if it meant progress in other aspects.

Edited, Dec 29th 2010 1:57pm by Simool
____________________________
Amos Fin - Ultros

#42 Dec 29 2010 at 1:03 PM Rating: Default
36 posts
Olorinus the Vile wrote:
Caleberiel wrote:
Regarding add ons... GO FOR BROKE! I mean.. who did not use Windower and all its nifty addons when playing FFXI? Would be one step in the right direction to make em "street legal" imo.


I know! All those claim bots made the game SO much more fun!

aka: no I didn't cheat.

Edited, Dec 29th 2010 10:51am by Olorinus



Windower didn´t have any claimbotting functions... But on the other hand... in this game a claimbot wouldnt make any difference... there are no NMs to speak of anyway. :P
#43 Dec 29 2010 at 1:04 PM Rating: Good
****
9,526 posts
Aurelius wrote:
shinichoco wrote:

As one of the blue headers put it: "If you can't understand the rules, you can't have fun" {lit: If you don't understand the rules, you don't understand the interest[what makes the game fun/interesting]}


This statement stood out for me. It could mean many things, but I can tell you that a substantial frustration with the crafting system right now is that even if someone thinks they know how it works, they don't. There are too many influences that aren't explained. Too many vague explanations. Too many abilities that don't seem to work the way one might expect them to. It becomes even more frustrating when you'd like to provide SE with feedback on the systems and the best we can do is guess as to what's going on.


Yep. This comment made me think of our conversation about unstable elements. If I knew the "rules" and was knowingly taking chances I wouldn't mind things like elemental instability. But when you do everything (to the best of your knowledge) "right" and things still explode... it is anger-making.

I don't mind some RNG in there either - but it can't be a totally punishing RNG.

There needs to be rules that work most of the time for you to succeed at a synth your level. Right now you can fail time after time after time on a white orb using standard (even with Maker's Muse!). It is ridiculous.

Edited, Dec 29th 2010 11:06am by Olorinus
____________________________
lolgaxe wrote:
When it comes to sitting around not doing anything for long periods of time, only being active for short windows, and marginal changes and sidegrades I'd say FFXI players were the perfect choice for politicians.


#44 Dec 29 2010 at 1:11 PM Rating: Excellent
11 posts
EmiyaShirou wrote:
Sure that addone enabling system alone would eat my resrources... even if you would use basic UI...

Dat mining reveals the current UI is already built on top of an extensible framework. That aspect doesn't need to be changed. They just need to open up UI API calls, which won't cause a performance hit if you don't use them.

In WoW, you can run tests on add-ons to see how much CPU and RAM they are using. Even on old single core processors in systems with 1GB of RAM, any popular add-ons were optimized well enough to have a negligible impact on performance. Just because FFXIV is more graphically intense than WoW doesn't mean FFXIV's UI is more demanding than WoW. If your computer meets the minimum system requirements for FFXIV, then the addition of an add-on system isn't going to have a perceptual impact on your system's performance.

EmiyaShirou wrote:
I really wouldn't like thing to be like that... and especially i don't want thing when one person gets advantages of Add-ones and stuff when i can't... especially i want to play fair, i want to have the same thing available for me like for others not like someone is lazy and put some add-one to make his life easier... (Hope you get my point)

This argument was made about WoW's add-ons as well. But the vast majority of add-ons built for WoW are publicly available in large repositories. It is reasonable to believe the same would hold true for FFXIV add-ons. If someone else is using an add-on, they don't have an unfair advantage over you, because you can choose to install it as well if you desire to. Well designed add-ons do not have enough of an impact on performance to give any weight to the argument that your system is too weak to run them.

RedGalka wrote:
Wow @ thinking turning FF into a WoW is actually progress.

Claiming that giving FFXIV a customizable UI with add-ons is turning it into WoW is absurd.

Olorinus the Vile wrote:
Do you really think it is masochistic to want everyone to play on an even playing field?

If everyone can use add-ons, then the playing field is even.
#45 Dec 29 2010 at 1:13 PM Rating: Decent
**
429 posts
Don't bring logic in here, you get rated down and called a troll.
#46 Dec 29 2010 at 1:17 PM Rating: Decent
****
9,526 posts
denshigomi wrote:


Olorinus the Vile wrote:
Do you really think it is masochistic to want everyone to play on an even playing field?

If everyone can use add-ons, then the playing field is even.


Assuming that everyone wants the game to be dumbed down.

____________________________
lolgaxe wrote:
When it comes to sitting around not doing anything for long periods of time, only being active for short windows, and marginal changes and sidegrades I'd say FFXI players were the perfect choice for politicians.


#47EzellLangor, Posted: Dec 29 2010 at 1:23 PM, Rating: Sub-Default, (Expand Post) The way things are going now with this game......anything is better than the current system. This game needs help and it needs it bad. A windower type program would make my life so much easier. I didn't play XI without it, the interface and macro system was garbage without it. This game is the same, the macro system and U.I are garbage without it.
#48 Dec 29 2010 at 1:26 PM Rating: Good
****
9,526 posts
EzellLangor wrote:


Quote:
I just wouldn't. Because people can say they are optional but if the community doing upper tier group based content decides that addons make things optimal or whatever .... you can be darn sure that they won't feel optional


You obviously didn't play end game in XI, or if you did you sucked at life. Windower was a must to be good at your job. SE sucks at making macro lines. I really didn't like taking people on "raids" in XI if they didn't have windower, **** even didn't like taking people that didn't have vent. There is a reason the best shells/clans are the best. Because they use the best mods to help them push out that little extra dmg. Don't like it, don't join the shell and be in a social. No one says you gotta end game.



I think you proved my point.
____________________________
lolgaxe wrote:
When it comes to sitting around not doing anything for long periods of time, only being active for short windows, and marginal changes and sidegrades I'd say FFXI players were the perfect choice for politicians.


#49 Dec 29 2010 at 1:38 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
*
53 posts
EmiyaShirou wrote:

I really wouldn't like thing to be like that... and especially i don't want thing when one person gets advantages of Add-ones and stuff when i can't... especially i want to play fair, i want to have the same thing available for me like for others not like someone is lazy and put some add-one to make his life easier... (Hope you get my point)


The burden is already on the player scour outside resources for critical game info (like lodestone Q&A's) due to poor/rushed game-design choices. At least this would actually improve the game with absolutely no effort on S-E's part.
#50 Dec 29 2010 at 1:39 PM Rating: Excellent
**
697 posts
denshigomi wrote:

Olorinus the Vile wrote:
Do you really think it is masochistic to want everyone to play on an even playing field?

If everyone can use add-ons, then the playing field is even.


I agree with what you are saying for the most part, but not everyone will be able to have add-ons when the ps3 version is released. Its highly unlikely that ps3 players will be able to get add-ons unless S-E works out some way with sony to distribute them and have them coded for the ps3.

That is the primary reason why S-E always balked at add-ons for FFXI, it gave PC players a competitive advantage (knowing other party members TP%, recasts, etc). While that may not be as big of an issue in FFXIV (recast times by default FTW!) the fundamental problem is the same.


That being said, I play on PC, so I want add-ons, lol.
____________________________
FFXI: Odin - Merylstryfe Summoner Woo Hoo!

[ffxivsig]341964[/ffxivsig]
#51 Dec 29 2010 at 1:41 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
*
53 posts
Olorinus the Vile wrote:
denshigomi wrote:


Olorinus the Vile wrote:
Do you really think it is masochistic to want everyone to play on an even playing field?

If everyone can use add-ons, then the playing field is even.


Assuming that everyone wants the game to be dumbed down.



Dumbed down from what? Being terrible? Something has to have a modicum of strategy or complexity to be able to be dumbed down. FFXIV has neither.

Edited, Dec 29th 2010 2:43pm by jPuff
« Previous 1 2 3
This forum is read only
This Forum is Read Only!
Recent Visitors: 23 All times are in CST
Anonymous Guests (23)