Forum Settings
       
« Previous 1 2 3 4
This Forum is Read Only

A New Year and FINAL FANTASY XIV Player's Poll the First Follow

#1 Dec 31 2010 at 6:17 PM Rating: Excellent
Scholar
**
439 posts
Quote:
Let me begin by wishing a happy new year to all players and fans of FINAL FANTASY XIV!

The last few weeks of 2010 were tumultuous times for us all, what with the announcement of the development team restructuring and multiple version updates. Still, I hope you are all enjoying your winter vacations and holidays, and had truly memorable Christmas and New Year's Eves and Days.

As part of the new direction promised, we here on the development and management teams have adopted four new keywords for FINAL FANTASY XIV: fun, live, reboot, and rebuild. Forgive our translators if these buzzwords seem a bit cryptic or cliché, but I am using these English words as-is in the Japanese, and insisted they use the same words for a global resonance.

To get things rolling right away, I am asking for your cooperation with our FINAL FANTASY XIV Player's Poll the First—a brief questionnaire being issued to give you the players another means by which to have your voices heard.

Well, I would be lying if I said I was writing only to wish you the best in the coming twelve moons. Truth be told, the realm is all aflutter just now—the air thick with anticipation and excitement. In fact, an ancient verse of prophecy was delivered to my person by a messenger from Eorzea not moments ago. But I've never been much of one for poems... Perhaps some of you will have more luck decoding it than I have.

Again, I wish all of you a happy new year, and ask that you all look forward to what we have in store for FINAL FANTASY XIV in 2011!


FINAL FANTASY XIV Producer/Director,
Naoki Yoshida


On the main lodestone page (EU version at least, the JP version was up a few hours ago). The survey is extremely generic, don't expect to grasp anything they plan to do.

Edited, Jan 1st 2011 1:18am by xizro
____________________________
Korede..Millia moshido wa...
PLD/WAR 75/37 - Asura
#2 Dec 31 2010 at 6:21 PM Rating: Excellent
**
292 posts
The link for the player's poll is here:

EU: https://secure.square-enix.com/enqt/e/FF14EPLAYERENQ01/html
NA: https://secure.square-enix.com/enqt/e/FF14NPLAYERENQ01/html

The update will probably appear for NA FFXIV players once 12:00 midnight PST strikes, much like what they do for FFXI when announcing New Years events.

Edited, Dec 31st 2010 7:40pm by aeshmak
#3 Dec 31 2010 at 6:42 PM Rating: Excellent
*****
11,576 posts
Erm...not to be negative nancy, but that's it? Have I missed something or is that the much anticipated "announcement" for January 1st that so many of us were hoping would outline details for his vision of the game going into the new year. A "happy holidays" and "here take this survey"?

Eep...if that's the case, much backlash will ensue...
#4 Dec 31 2010 at 6:50 PM Rating: Good
Sage
***
1,246 posts
Which of the following would you like to see implemented first? *
More story-based quests/mini-quests
More notorious monsters (NMs)
More levequests (including new varieties)
Player vs. player content (PvP)
Large-scale player vs. environment content (PvE)
Expanded tutorials
Auction House

I think I just shed a tear
____________________________
Meowth!
#5 Dec 31 2010 at 6:53 PM Rating: Decent
***
1,636 posts
ditx wrote:
Which of the following would you like to see implemented first? *
More story-based quests/mini-quests
More notorious monsters (NMs)
More levequests (including new varieties)
Player vs. player content (PvP)
Large-scale player vs. environment content (PvE)
Expanded tutorials
Auction House

I think I just shed a tear


I bet it wins too.
____________________________


#6 Dec 31 2010 at 6:55 PM Rating: Good
Sage
***
1,246 posts
In fairness everything on that list made me think "THANK GOD THEY'RE LISTENING!"

Edited, Dec 31st 2010 7:55pm by ditx
____________________________
Meowth!
#7 Dec 31 2010 at 7:01 PM Rating: Decent
**
845 posts
ditx wrote:
Which of the following would you like to see implemented first? *
More story-based quests/mini-quests
More notorious monsters (NMs)
More levequests (including new varieties)
Player vs. player content (PvP)
Large-scale player vs. environment content (PvE)
Expanded tutorials
Auction House

I think I just shed a tear



Next patch will bring Battle Grounds and pvp titles! J/K
____________________________

#8 Dec 31 2010 at 7:02 PM Rating: Excellent
Scholar
*
66 posts
I think the final question about would we accept changes that drastically alter the way we know Eorzea is the most interesting.
#9 Dec 31 2010 at 7:20 PM Rating: Excellent
ditx wrote:
Which of the following would you like to see implemented first? *
More story-based quests/mini-quests
More notorious monsters (NMs)
More levequests (including new varieties)
Player vs. player content (PvP)
Large-scale player vs. environment content (PvE)
Expanded tutorials
Auction House

I think I just shed a tear


Do they let you pick more than one? I personally would pick:
More story-based quests/mini-quests - 1st
Auction House - 2nd

#10 Dec 31 2010 at 7:20 PM Rating: Excellent
Sage
*
77 posts
I'm going to be quite upset if auction house is the majority winner.

I do not think that an auction house is going to bring people back at all. There are more things on that list that i think is much more important.
#11 Dec 31 2010 at 7:31 PM Rating: Decent
**
618 posts
zhinse wrote:
I'm going to be quite upset if auction house is the majority winner.

I do not think that an auction house is going to bring people back at all. There are more things on that list that i think is much more important.


I'm thinking it's either gonna be AH or PvP that will win the majority, I'm gonna sleep on my decision and choose it in the morning
____________________________
FFXIV Gilgamesh: Nghthawk Evenfall
FFXIV Gilgamesh: Nytehawk Evenfall


Time is but a window,
Death is but a doorway,
I'll Be Back
#12 Dec 31 2010 at 7:31 PM Rating: Good
*****
11,576 posts
zhinse wrote:
I'm going to be quite upset if auction house is the majority winner.

I do not think that an auction house is going to bring people back at all. There are more things on that list that i think is much more important.


Auction house would bring people back. Then SE would have approximately 3 months to add real meat to the game before they all left again. And I would expect that even if Auction House was the resounding "winner" that other things will be added as well. It's not like they'd divert 100% of their development resources to the most popular item on the list.
#13 Dec 31 2010 at 7:33 PM Rating: Excellent
zhinse wrote:
I'm going to be quite upset if auction house is the majority winner.

I do not think that an auction house is going to bring people back at all. There are more things on that list that i think is much more important.


i strongly agree with this, even tho i would like an AH ( i actually like the system as is rigth now, with the "star" search and all, coming from ragnarok online i quite enjoy the little bazaar jumping ^^:) the thing that utterly destroyed the enjoyment i was having with the game was the new SP system, i rarely comment on this forum, but seeing this poll from SE brings hope to me, i can endure all the low level grind, but knowing that there's practicaly no point on being on a party later on as means to level up is just... disheartening. that rigth there pushed me away from the game, i actually enjoy everything else, but i find my self not logging on, simply because of that issue.

i for one, would welcome any massive changes that the new Dev team will bring to the table, if it means that joining a party would be enjoyable and practical.

just my humble opinion.
____________________________
#14 Dec 31 2010 at 7:36 PM Rating: Excellent
**
292 posts
An "All Of The Above" option would have been nice. I mean, all of those would help flesh out the lack of content there currently is.

The last option about drastically changing Eorzea has me intrigued, to say the very least. Seems they want to know what people think of the idea of just scrapping everything and starting over.
#15 Dec 31 2010 at 7:38 PM Rating: Decent
**
845 posts
aeshmak wrote:
An "All Of The Above" option would have been nice. I mean, all of those would help flesh out the lack of content there currently is.

The last option about drastically changing Eorzea has me intrigued, to say the very least. Seems they want to know what people think of the idea of just scrapping everything and starting over.



It would make me play more unless the changes were worse than the game is currently.
____________________________

#16 Dec 31 2010 at 7:51 PM Rating: Good
Sage
***
1,246 posts
It's not so much that I want them to add an AH RIGHT NOW.
It's more a case of they're listening, they've finally acknowledged us. As is the case with more Quests.
____________________________
Meowth!
#17 Dec 31 2010 at 7:58 PM Rating: Decent
*****
11,576 posts
ditx wrote:
It's not so much that I want them to add an AH RIGHT NOW.
It's more a case of they're listening, they've finally acknowledged us. As is the case with more Quests.


They acknowledged us during the open beta and have been listening throughout the process. Listening has not been the issue. Having time to deliver has been the issue.
#18 Dec 31 2010 at 8:05 PM Rating: Excellent
***
3,530 posts
Aurelius wrote:
Auction house would bring people back.


I don't think they will. Nobody who has quit a game out of frustration is going to hear "Hey, there's an Auction House now!" and think "Oh sh*t, I am so coming back to grind through the same few wall-of-text levequests!"
____________________________
"... he called to himself a wizard, named Gallery, hoping by this means to escape the paying of the fifteen hundred crowns..." (Machen 15)

"Thus opium is pleasing... on account of the agreeable delirium it produces." (Burke para.6)

"I could only read so much for this paper and the syphilis poem had to go."
#19 Dec 31 2010 at 8:10 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
*
67 posts
If the devs think PvP or an AH is what the game needs right now..... then I hold little hope for FFXIV.
#20 Dec 31 2010 at 8:18 PM Rating: Excellent
*****
11,576 posts
KaneKitty wrote:
Aurelius wrote:
Auction house would bring people back.


I don't think they will. Nobody who has quit a game out of frustration is going to hear "Hey, there's an Auction House now!" and think "Oh sh*t, I am so coming back to grind through the same few wall-of-text levequests!"


There were a lot of people who quit long before the grind started gnawing their faces off who said they'd be back when/if SE added an auction house. My personal feeling is that those are the kind of people who would come back for at least a couple of weeks if one was added. Obviously, even the dumbest of MMO developers wouldn't look at a game in the shape XIV is in and think that adding an auction house is all they'd have to do to turn things around which is why I wouldn't be concerned if an AH wound up being the thing most people listed as their first priority to have added. I always thought it was such a lame demand ('I'm not playing unless they add an AH!') because there's so very much more that an MMO needs to have in order to be entertaining. I just remember all the posts before and after official service began from people saying 'no AH = I don't play'.

I'm not really impressed by the survey/poll. It's a good start, don't get me wrong. I'm sure the devs have their own ideas and this is a way for them to compile some objective, concise player feedback to help them direct their efforts. I'm just not really seeing anything in those lists that would make me want to play. I love the quest systems in quest-driven MMOs. I do not like the way SE did quests in FFXI and can live without them, and I don't like the way SE handled levequests in XIV and can live without those, too.

Related anecdote (again, not just to bring up another MMO but because it's relevant), the devs of Guild Wars 2 are talk about how nobody really likes to grind. They're claiming that they're developing a game where you're always involved in something meaningful and participating in world events as they unfold. Cool. Neat concept. Is it something SE could implement in XIV without a complete overhaul of the core game? No. So what does that leave? Same ol' same ol' that we've all seen before. No matter what SE does, it's going to take time to implement. And during that time, more people are going to leave. And the bigger the changes, the more time it's going to take. And if it's big changes they decide to run with, they need to start on those now. They aren't going to make people very happy if they add a bit here and add a bit there and make it seem like they're trying to improve what already exists and then BAM! One day a patch comes down and they go all SWG on the community and...eep.

I'm not unhappy with the new dev team. I thin they're doing all they can. I'm just unhappy with the game, and SE spent most of their loyalty credits with me on FFXI. Tanaka gutted the remainder with XIV.
#21 Dec 31 2010 at 8:22 PM Rating: Good
*
230 posts
Chnmmr wrote:
If the devs think PvP or an AH is what the game needs right now..... then I hold little hope for FFXIV.

I agree and I will be disappointed if the majority vote for AH and that becomes the primary focus of the new team. Sure it will bring back a few players but then they will still be bored from lack of content and come right back to the forums to complain. An AH should really be lower on the priorities. IMO the most important things are:

-Tweaking the entire battlecraft system(sp fixes,more ways to level besides leves and behest) and giving more defined roles to the classes.

-Making the world feel more alive(more things in all the empty space, more places to go/see, classic FF things like chocobos,summons,etc). Remove all or most of the invisible barriers that make the world feel closed off and alpha/beta like. I think if people knew what kind of areas and things they would have to look forward to they might be more inclined to keep playing.

-Content.. Probably the most important and mentioned problem in the game next to the AH. Can't really stress this enough but **** even just adding chocobos would make SO many people happy. Same for side quests. We know all the pieces are there. The npcs and locations are all in place, its like they just need to flip the on switch but refuse to do so.

Also why the **** does it take so long to switch between active/passive mode.. noone really complains about it but **** it takes like 4-5 seconds to pull out a weapon? That fix alone would make me very happy.

Done ranting.
____________________________

#22 Dec 31 2010 at 8:23 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
*
58 posts
I am surprised they did not include RIFT into the list of upcoming games since it is closer to release than any of the other games, except maybe SW ToR, and is the most hyped game in Betas atm.

I also think AH would win first as in the first to be implemented, but more content be address sooner than other stuff.

I am super happy that they are now polling, but I am upset that it was not asked much sooner. At least they are working hard to try to make this a game asap.
#23 Dec 31 2010 at 8:33 PM Rating: Decent
9 posts
Rather have Chocobos first. Would like them to stop ignoring the repair system. Crafting should be 2nd to battle not 1st. The games like a 2nd full time job. No fun in that.
____________________________

#24 Dec 31 2010 at 8:37 PM Rating: Excellent
Scholar
*
105 posts
Hoping for PvE, PvP usually kills the game for people and causes way more drama than anything due to balance issues.
____________________________

#25 Dec 31 2010 at 8:42 PM Rating: Good
**
618 posts
Chnmmr wrote:
If the devs think PvP or an AH is what the game needs right now..... then I hold little hope for FFXIV.


Except your forgetting one thing... this is a player poll on what they want... take it or leave it
____________________________
FFXIV Gilgamesh: Nghthawk Evenfall
FFXIV Gilgamesh: Nytehawk Evenfall


Time is but a window,
Death is but a doorway,
I'll Be Back
#26 Dec 31 2010 at 8:44 PM Rating: Excellent
***
1,422 posts
Kazuyakun wrote:
Hoping for PvE, PvP usually kills the game for people and causes way more drama than anything due to balance issues.


This x9001. Out of all the things this game needs right now, PvP is the absolute last of them. Yes, even below bells and curry buns.
____________________________
FFXIV: Raji Skybrand (Leviathan)
Give a man a fish, he'll be fed for a day. Teach a man to fish, and he'll scream "F*** off noob, I know what I'm doing!" and continue to do it wrong.
#27 Dec 31 2010 at 8:57 PM Rating: Decent
**
618 posts
RajiFarlander wrote:
Kazuyakun wrote:
Hoping for PvE, PvP usually kills the game for people and causes way more drama than anything due to balance issues.


This x9001. Out of all the things this game needs right now, PvP is the absolute last of them. Yes, even below bells and curry buns.



OMG Red Curry Bun +1 {Can I have it?} lol sorry flash back to FFxi and my cooking days
____________________________
FFXIV Gilgamesh: Nghthawk Evenfall
FFXIV Gilgamesh: Nytehawk Evenfall


Time is but a window,
Death is but a doorway,
I'll Be Back
#28 Dec 31 2010 at 8:58 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
*
105 posts
RajiFarlander wrote:
Kazuyakun wrote:
Hoping for PvE, PvP usually kills the game for people and causes way more drama than anything due to balance issues.


This x9001. Out of all the things this game needs right now, PvP is the absolute last of them. Yes, even below bells and curry buns.

OMG BUT I WANT MY BUNS! HOW COULD YOU!!!
____________________________

#29 Dec 31 2010 at 9:05 PM Rating: Good
Sage
**
534 posts
They probably have blueprints ready for all kinds of changes...and just need to know where to start. I think for once...they actually do want our opinion...instead of acting like they want our opinion.

I do the love the last question.... YES YES YES
____________________________
Amos Fin - Ultros

#30Onionthiefx, Posted: Dec 31 2010 at 9:10 PM, Rating: Sub-Default, (Expand Post) Everyone, for the love of all that is good and holy on this earth, I IMPLORE YOU, please vote AH.
#31 Dec 31 2010 at 9:18 PM Rating: Good
**
412 posts
Wow this is so amazing. They know every single problem and are asking us which one do you want to see first.
That is some serious customer service right there.
Good job SE for understanding.
____________________________
They appeared from the sky, the one without a heart... "Omega"...And the one who followed it..."Shinryuu"...
Final Fantasy 5
#32 Dec 31 2010 at 9:21 PM Rating: Excellent
*
72 posts
Quote:
Do they let you pick more than one? I personally would pick:
More story-based quests/mini-quests - 1st


I chose that too~

Also, that last question..... it sounds so... dangerous lol
#33 Dec 31 2010 at 9:22 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
**
386 posts
Regardless of what they do first, I don't think the people who have already left will ever be satisfied with the progress that FFXIV makes at this point.
#34 Dec 31 2010 at 9:27 PM Rating: Good
I'm good with the poll, hopefully only people who seriously want to play the game complete it. Seriously, how many times have SE officially ever asked us what WE want in such a capacity?

Heck, the poll is almost as encompasing as one of Miks!

I would assume we still get some sort of announcement, but if we don't... well I'm quite happy with an official poll.
____________________________
FFXI:Sylph - Perrin 75 Hume THF; Retired (At least from my use any way)
EVE Online:ScraperX; Retired
WAR:IronClaw- Peryn SW;SkullThrone- Grymloc BO; Retired


#35 Dec 31 2010 at 9:28 PM Rating: Excellent
Onionthiefx wrote:
Everyone, for the love of all that is good and holy on this earth, I IMPLORE YOU, please vote AH.

My sincerest thanks.


Sorry, I'd rather have content first
____________________________
FFXI:Sylph - Perrin 75 Hume THF; Retired (At least from my use any way)
EVE Online:ScraperX; Retired
WAR:IronClaw- Peryn SW;SkullThrone- Grymloc BO; Retired


#36 Dec 31 2010 at 9:29 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
386 posts
PerrinofSylph, ****** Superhero wrote:
Onionthiefx wrote:
Everyone, for the love of all that is good and holy on this earth, I IMPLORE YOU, please vote AH.

My sincerest thanks.


Sorry, I'd rather have content first


I also voted for an official forum.
#37 Dec 31 2010 at 9:39 PM Rating: Excellent
*****
11,576 posts
ThePacster wrote:
Regardless of what they do first, I don't think the people who have already left will ever be satisfied with the progress that FFXIV makes at this point.


I think it depends entirely on what Trion/Bioware/NCSoft deliver in 2011. SE had an advantage with FFXI in that they released the game when there was nothing really going on in the industry to attract new players to the MMO genre and between the strength of the Final Fantasy brand at the time and the lack of real alternatives, a lot of players got far enough along in the game to become entrenched. They'd grown accustomed to the game, it was better than pretty much any other MMO on the market at the time, they had made some friends and they had begun their journey towards one of many carrots dangled from the end of mile-long sticks.

Even if the initial problems with FFXIV had not been an issue at launch, there is still nothing in the game to entrench the seasoned MMO player. The people who remain playing do so for their own reasons and those reasons largely seem to boil down to the fact that it's a Final Fantasy title, they're one of the niche players who actually enjoy what's happening in the game, or they've already burnt out but they've got nowhere else to direct their attention. I think that more than a poor UI or lack of a truly functional central market exchange system, what ultimately hurt and will continue to hurt XIV is the fact that it's a big skeleton with no real meat.

If the new dev team under Yoshida can remedy that, I think that the game will have no difficulty becoming a profitable service under SE's belt but it won't be happening in the next month or even the next three months. I think that even six months might be pushing it when you stop to consider the scope of the complaints and what it would take to address them.
#38 Dec 31 2010 at 9:51 PM Rating: Excellent
Aurelius wrote:
I think it depends entirely on what Trion/Bioware/NCSoft deliver in 2011. SE had an advantage with FFXI in that they released the game when there was nothing really going on in the industry to attract new players to the MMO genre and between the strength of the Final Fantasy brand at the time and the lack of real alternatives, a lot of players got far enough along in the game to become entrenched.


To be fair, XI is still one of the best MMO's on the market (well I'm assuming since I quit long before the new caps). The story and immersion alone are heads above any recent MMO releases.

The 2 biggest problems from when I played were advertising and accessability. WoW nailed accesability AND advertising. XI was a grindfest (and other than LFG to progress, I really enjoyed the sense of accomplishment more than any other MMO), and had 0 advertisement. The only thing they could do right now is give 90 days free to XI with it's supposedly easy level up and hope to hook people.

XIV on the other hand has come into a new market, and they thought they could do what they did with XI... because it worked (finacially). However, not only is there a lack of advertisement; there's bad press, 0 bait and hook, 0 incentive to average joe to check it out. XIV needs to fix a few more things, give free PC trials, advertise like a **** coinciding with PS3 release (which will net fresh reviews, hopefully positive) etc... It's an uphill battle, but one I'm confident SE can win if they pull their head out.

This poll, while not the most amazing thing on its own, is fantastic. It shows they have their head out. Now the gameplay, community, etc... has to reflect that so the can advertise and release on PS3 for the pheonix down effect.
____________________________
FFXI:Sylph - Perrin 75 Hume THF; Retired (At least from my use any way)
EVE Online:ScraperX; Retired
WAR:IronClaw- Peryn SW;SkullThrone- Grymloc BO; Retired


#39 Dec 31 2010 at 9:54 PM Rating: Excellent
Scholar
**
386 posts
Quote:
If the new dev team under Yoshida can remedy that, I think that the game will have no difficulty becoming a profitable service under SE's belt but it won't be happening in the next month or even the next three months. I think that even six months might be pushing it when you stop to consider the scope of the complaints and what it would take to address them.


That in itself I think is the problem. Change takes time, something people don't want to waste. In waiting for other MMO's to be released, those who want it now, whatever that "it" may be are going to more than likely get their fix from another MMO with years of polish and updates because they don't want to wait around for what will happen to FFXIV.

And as we all know the game is pretty bare bones now, and depending on how meaty the MMO's around the corner are at their release, this game could be on par or maybe even have slightly more things to do. But I still suspect people will look at FFXIV and remember how dissatisfied they were with FFXIV and how long it took for FFXIV to get to where it is, and hop to the other new MMO under the assumption that FFXIV will still be unsatisfying and still take too long to make further progression.

Ultimately I think the seasoned MMO veteran expects to play a game with an abundance of content out of the box which to an extent I can agree with, but at the same time I can disagree with this expectation. First impressions of what a game has to offer are important, and they've got their taste of FFXIV and didn't like it, so I doubt they will ever want to come back for second helpings.
#40 Dec 31 2010 at 10:16 PM Rating: Excellent
***
3,177 posts
Content, content, content.

Auction House second.

But, content, content, content!

I also voted yes to the last question. I'd like to see some whole game overhauls.
____________________________
Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn
Grover Eyeveen - Hyperion Server
Viva Eorzea Free Company/Linkshell Leader - Hyperion Server

Aegis Server (2012-2013)
Figaro Server (2010-2012)

Final Fantasy XI:
Retired

Blog
#41 Dec 31 2010 at 10:27 PM Rating: Good
**
602 posts
***** the AH. I'm gonna get ****** if people whine an AH into the game. The wards are freaking awesome now.
I really enjoy browsing items with the stars. It makes the purchasing experience a lot more involving.

I really hope they chop off the battle system and make one that's more strategy and team based. Also I'd like something more immediate... like demon's souls. Translate demon's souls battle system into FF and I'm happy.

Or else there's the opposite option, make it like XI.
____________________________
FFXI: Dashiel. (Asura) Puppetmaster.
FFXIV: Majidah Sihaam. (Besaid)
Marauder, Weaver & Alchemist.

#42 Dec 31 2010 at 10:27 PM Rating: Excellent
Sage
*
77 posts
Hahaha.

If you try to complete the poll a second time.

"You have already completed that poll, but we appreciate your zeal."
#43 Dec 31 2010 at 10:30 PM Rating: Excellent
*****
11,576 posts
ThePacster wrote:

Ultimately I think the seasoned MMO veteran expects to play a game with an abundance of content out of the box which to an extent I can agree with, but at the same time I can disagree with this expectation. First impressions of what a game has to offer are important, and they've got their taste of FFXIV and didn't like it, so I doubt they will ever want to come back for second helpings.


It just goes to show that even "seasoned" MMO players can still be clueless. Hey, if SE had shipped with so much going on in the game that we were all like, "Wow! For any other MMO that would be like 5 years of content!" I don't think too many would have complained. (You have to know there would have been at least one numpty flailing their arms in lalapanic and complaining that there was too much to do and they omfg don't know where to start, but meh.) But for anyone to have actually expected that to the point where it wasn't there so they quit? Pffft.

I think the ideal for me would have been to ship the game so that I could start my shiny new rank/level 1 character and spend the next 4-6 months on an "average" MMO gamer's timetable churning through all kinds of new/diverse things on an ongoing basis. What we got was a couple of weeks of content repeated and spread out over what will take your average players months to churn through. One on side of the spectrum you've got established MMOs with years worth of content additions and expansions and on the other side of the spectrum you've got zero content at all, and we all know which side of that spectrum FFXIV leans heavily towards.
#44 Dec 31 2010 at 10:48 PM Rating: Excellent
Scholar
**
386 posts
Aurelius wrote:
ThePacster wrote:

Ultimately I think the seasoned MMO veteran expects to play a game with an abundance of content out of the box which to an extent I can agree with, but at the same time I can disagree with this expectation. First impressions of what a game has to offer are important, and they've got their taste of FFXIV and didn't like it, so I doubt they will ever want to come back for second helpings.


It just goes to show that even "seasoned" MMO players can still be clueless. Hey, if SE had shipped with so much going on in the game that we were all like, "Wow! For any other MMO that would be like 5 years of content!" I don't think too many would have complained. (You have to know there would have been at least one numpty flailing their arms in lalapanic and complaining that there was too much to do and they omfg don't know where to start, but meh.) But for anyone to have actually expected that to the point where it wasn't there so they quit? Pffft.

I think the ideal for me would have been to ship the game so that I could start my shiny new rank/level 1 character and spend the next 4-6 months on an "average" MMO gamer's timetable churning through all kinds of new/diverse things on an ongoing basis. What we got was a couple of weeks of content repeated and spread out over what will take your average players months to churn through. One on side of the spectrum you've got established MMOs with years worth of content additions and expansions and on the other side of the spectrum you've got zero content at all, and we all know which side of that spectrum FFXIV leans heavily towards.


Couldn't agree more. It's sad to see that FFXIV released in the state that it did, but to me it seems SE has been making extra effort to set things right in a way I have never seen before from them. Calling the release a disaster, failure, catastrophe, whatever one may wish to call it, the damage was done and everyone knows it. All we can do now I think is be patient and see where it goes from here. So far things seem to be looking up and this survey is another great example of their initiative.

Edited, Dec 31st 2010 11:51pm by ThePacster
#45 Dec 31 2010 at 11:05 PM Rating: Good
*
157 posts
Lol! Someone else is raging about the delay from passive to active. I do wonder why I never see complaints about this.

Voted for Combat overhaul, Large-scale PvE and Official forums mainly.

It also annoys me that you can't buff or heal in passive.

"K, wait till I pull my big stick out and look at you threateningly with it" ... then I can heal you.

Limitations: Zero TP generation and no use of a shield, parry reduced to zero.



Edited, Jan 1st 2011 12:07am by SpelunkerOne
____________________________
[center][img]http://ff14sp.com/tools/lodestone_data/imgs/Aleister Crowley Bodhum 3 Legacy.png[/img][/center]
#46 Dec 31 2010 at 11:22 PM Rating: Excellent
***
2,120 posts
The idea of drastic overhauls bothers me, especially that last question. There should've been a 3rd option for "I don't know how to answer that question"Smiley: smile. Because really, what exactly does that mean? Tell me more...

I'm good with the market wards if they can keep up the improvements and knockoff the random resets. If those improvements can be made, awesome. If not, then the AH needs to be considered, but not because people are stomping their feet and refuse to see that the wards are working pretty well now.

I think crafting & gathering are already great and I don't want to see much changed with that really.(The repair system perhaps)

Battle is where I would say okay to lots of changes. I haven't experienced it all yet as my highest is r32, but what I have experienced isn't much fun so far. I rather craft or gather most of the time and that's unfortunate.(Not that I want crafting/gathering to be downgraded, but I want the battles upgraded to something I'm looking forward to & not something I may get around to later if I'm that bored)

Of course I've been wanting content all along, so bring that on, & lots of it...

Edited, Jan 1st 2011 12:26am by TwistedOwl
____________________________

#47 Dec 31 2010 at 11:22 PM Rating: Decent
*
155 posts
SpelunkerOne wrote:
Lol! Someone else is raging about the delay from passive to active. I do wonder why I never see complaints about this.

Voted for Combat overhaul, Large-scale PvE and Official forums mainly.

It also annoys me that you can't buff or heal in passive.

"K, wait till I pull my big stick out and look at you threateningly with it" ... then I can heal you.

Limitations: Zero TP generation and no use of a shield, parry reduced to zero.



Edited, Jan 1st 2011 12:07am by SpelunkerOne



lol thats what lancer '' Fleet of feet"" are for
____________________________


#48 Dec 31 2010 at 11:24 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
**
278 posts
Please people use your brains. we can live without an auction house for now, we need more storyline and quest content. For gods sake people don't break my heart. **** we practically have auction house functionality, just focus on what the game is actually missing! Don't make me cry. We need more story. We need more quests.

Likewise a complete overhaul of the game will set the whole thing back another year for very little gain. there is no assurance they will get it right the second time around. The game has solid foundations.

Edited, Jan 1st 2011 12:28am by Wloire
#49 Dec 31 2010 at 11:32 PM Rating: Good
38 posts
Wloire wrote:
Please people use your brains. we can live without an auction house for now, we need more storyline and quest content. For gods sake people don't break my heart. **** we practically have auction house functionality, just focus on what the game is actually missing! Don't make me cry. We need more story. We need more quests.

Likewise a complete overhaul of the game will set the whole thing back another year for very little gain. there is no assurance they will get it right the second time around. The game has solid foundations.

Edited, Jan 1st 2011 12:28am by Wloire


This^

Anyone who votes for an AH as their FIRST new addition is a ******* idiot.

They are obviously planning on adressing these things and we need more content now.

Market wards i agree suck, but AH can wait we need **** to do before we get picky.
#50 Dec 31 2010 at 11:53 PM Rating: Excellent
*
82 posts
Chnmmr wrote:
If the devs think PvP or an AH is what the game needs right now..... then I hold little hope for FFXIV.


Poll submitted. I have two things to say regarding this whole discussion...

First, if this game goes PVP, I'm out like a fat kid in dodgeball.

Second, if having an AH inserted wins this poll, I will have lost faith in both the common sense and openmindedness of the FFXIV community.

For the love of all that is holy, let's think about this in a rational and unbiased manner. How much time would we spend at an AH during a given week? One or two hours max, maybe? So what are we doing with the rest of our in-game time? CONTENT!! Love it or hate it, with the addition of the search feature we now at least have a functional system in place with which to find what we wish to buy and to peddle our wares. (Personally I feel the system is growing on me, but in the interest of keeping this post neutral, I concede that perhaps it's not as efficient as an AH would be.) We currently DO NOT, however, have a functional system in place which, for all intents and purposes, will keep us occupied for the hours and hours we're not spending at the AH.

People may return if they implement an AH, but they'll turn right around and head back out the door after 2 weeks once they realize there's still not that much to do in this game. I enjoy the time I spend in the game now, but that "addiction factor" will never show up until they expand the basic content in this game. And I don't think I'm alone in my views here...

Edited, Jan 1st 2011 1:06am by Elswick78
#51 Jan 01 2011 at 12:15 AM Rating: Default
Scholar
***
1,523 posts
Honestly I'm not happy at all with this submissive leader style crap. I want a man with a vision for the game and make it a good one. Not: "I have no idea where to take this, let's ask the players what I should do. If I go with what the majority wants, it should be alright... right?"
____________________________
____(>°°)D_->__(O°°)>-_<(;,,;)>_C-(°°Q)__O~~_t(°°<)_(;o0)___<(;,,;)>_<(;,,;)>_<(;,,;)>_<(;,,;)>_<(;,,;)>_____

« Previous 1 2 3 4
This forum is read only
This Forum is Read Only!
Recent Visitors: 20 All times are in CST
Anonymous Guests (20)