Forum Settings
       
« Previous 1 2
This Forum is Read Only

Disconnect Disconnect (30002)1293939284,33719854,5Follow

#1 Jan 01 2011 at 9:48 PM Rating: Excellent
6 posts
I have been disconnecting almost constantly the past three days. Whenever I craft, when doing a leve, in battle, while harvesting, etc etc.

I have done everything anyone has said to correct this. Updated drivers, updated graphics, DirectX, etc etc. We never had any problem whatsoever until the Dec.28 update. Now, it's constant. It has made the game completely unplayable now.

Does anyone have any idea how to fix this, or have we come to a point where FFXIV loses me because we can't play like this?
#2 Jan 02 2011 at 12:11 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
29 posts
I've had this problem as well, so I know how frustrating the error can be. I was able to play the game perfectly for the first few months, but shortly after the mid-December update I started getting kicked off every five to ten minutes.

I suggest you go to your router and forward ports 55296–55551 to the machine you use to play FFXIV; this is what worked for me. This is a good site to use if you don't have any experience with port forwarding.

I hope this helps you! Good luck! :)
____________________________

#3 Jan 02 2011 at 1:11 AM Rating: Good
9 posts
I got this problem before.

http://ffxiv.zam.com/forum.html?forum=152&mid=1286991717143952179

It means someone is downloading or uploading while you are playing. check your connections.

#4 Jan 02 2011 at 2:26 AM Rating: Good
6 posts
I have tried:

Setting sound to max 44100 Hz

Port Forwarding 55296-55551

Running FFXIV as XP SP 3 (run as admin)

Running FFXIV as XP SP 2 (run as admin)

Update Graphics drivers (NVidia Geforce OTX 24M)

Changing Automatic port mapping to manual

Turning sound setting down

Turning down graphics settings (turn off shadows, dust, physics)

Turning off all Windows Media Player Network Sharing Center for the network

Turning on all Windows Media Player Network programs on the network

Disconnecting the PS3 and XBox from the network

Removing my iPhone from the network

Resetting the modem

Resetting the router

Minimizing router security

Minimizing internet security

Confirming FFXIV as an exception in Windows Firewall

Confirming Media Player Network Center as an exception in Firewall

Turning off firewall completely

Windows (7, btw) is updated completely

No one is downloading anything, or downloading from us. no programs are running at all besides FFXIV.


Note: This is happening to both computers in the house. It never happened to either of us until Dec.28, and now it is so bad that we literally can not complete a single leve or guildleve. It has literally made the game unplayable.
#5 Jan 02 2011 at 11:03 AM Rating: Good
Sage
**
447 posts
Well, if you have two computers, that's most likely the problem. Does it happen when only ONE of the computers is on?

You say you "set up port forwarding" but for what exactly? The way you explained it, it looks like traffic destined for one machine is ending up at the other (and vice-versa) which would explain the disconnects.

Try changing the ports the game uses in ONE of the computers in the FFXIV config program (change the 5s to 6s or something), and then COPY the port forward rule you have to use the newly designated ports and pointed to the IP of the machine you just re-configured.

Hope that helps.
____________________________
Djigga, please. Highland Hyurs can't jump.

#6 Jan 02 2011 at 11:33 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
41 posts
It's a complete crapshoot honestly when it comes to having a solid connection. Either you do or you don't. No amount of router shenanigans and ISP calls will solve it. I've played while streaming something from justin.tv, or watching youtube, downloading a torrent, connected to vent, or skype and never once d/ced. Then when I'm just playing regularly, I'll get a game server error and crash every 10-20 minutes. And this is with no changes done to my connection or router at all.

Disconnecting in general has some irritating issues and I really hope that SE takes a look at it to fix it. If you d/c during behest, you can't do it anymore. D/c during a leve, you lose the leve. D/c during a craft, you lose the craft (I've d/ced right as I was about to click finish). Granted, d/c'ing during a craft and losing all the mats is nothing new since FFXI had the same issue. What's an even bigger slap in the face is that you won't be able to log back in for 10-20 mins since your character stays stuck ingame. Being on vent with my friends, they tell me when my character depops so I can log back in. The amount of leves and guild marks I've lost due to d/c's is 1 too many. Especially when I'm perfectly able to use the internet elsewhere.
#7 Jan 02 2011 at 11:48 AM Rating: Good
Sage
**
447 posts
Hyena wrote:
It's a complete crapshoot honestly when it comes to having a solid connection. Either you do or you don't. No amount of router shenanigans and ISP calls will solve it. I've played while streaming something from justin.tv, or watching youtube, downloading a torrent, connected to vent, or skype and never once d/ced. Then when I'm just playing regularly, I'll get a game server error and crash every 10-20 minutes. And this is with no changes done to my connection or router at all.

Disconnecting in general has some irritating issues and I really hope that SE takes a look at it to fix it. If you d/c during behest, you can't do it anymore. D/c during a leve, you lose the leve. D/c during a craft, you lose the craft (I've d/ced right as I was about to click finish). Granted, d/c'ing during a craft and losing all the mats is nothing new since FFXI had the same issue. What's an even bigger slap in the face is that you won't be able to log back in for 10-20 mins since your character stays stuck ingame. Being on vent with my friends, they tell me when my character depops so I can log back in. The amount of leves and guild marks I've lost due to d/c's is 1 too many. Especially when I'm perfectly able to use the internet elsewhere.


I'm sorry you've had trouble with your internet connection, but your statement is just false.

There are things every gamer can do to ensure a good connection. First, don't use wifi. Second, have proper network configurations on your routers/firewalls/NAT. Third, have proper game configuration. Last, have proper OS configuration.

To say it's a random crapshoot is very defeatist, and misleading. This is a science, not an art, and there is a 'right' and 'wrong' way to do things. I'm not trying to be high and mighty here, but please, don't give up if you have problems... there is a way to fix it. To the OP: I suggest you try what I mentioned in my first post... it should help you.
____________________________
Djigga, please. Highland Hyurs can't jump.

#8 Jan 02 2011 at 11:54 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
41 posts
Defeatist or not, it is what it is. After properly port forwarding, having a direct connection, and configuring my network to run smooth, if things still go awry then I blame the game. How is it that by not changing -anything-, I go from disconnecting an average of 6-10 times a play session to my character staying logged in for more than a week? Why is it that -only- FFXIV gives me these network issues and disconnects yet every other online game I play, be it MMO, FPS, Fighting, etc., that requires a constant connection functions perfectly?

Yes, there are things you can do but once they are done and you see no results, then I have to call it out. The disconnecting issue is very rampant and it's definitely not something unique to this forum either.

Edited, Jan 2nd 2011 12:55pm by Hyena
#9 Jan 02 2011 at 11:57 AM Rating: Decent
Sage
**
447 posts
Hyena wrote:
Defeatist or not, it is what it is. After properly port forwarding, having a direct connection, and configuring my network to run smooth, if things still go awry then I blame the game. How is it that by not changing -anything-, I go from disconnecting an average of 6-10 times a play session to my character staying logged in for more than a week? Why is it that -only- FFXIV gives me these network issues and disconnects yet every other online game I play, be it MMO, FPS, Fighting, etc., that requires a constant connection functions perfectly?

Yes, there are things you can do but once they are done and you see no results, then I have to call it out. The disconnecting issue is very rampant and it's definitely not something unique to this forum either.

Edited, Jan 2nd 2011 12:55pm by Hyena



I'm not saying the game might not contribute to your particular issue, but please allow the OP to follow the suggestion of proper port forwarding, especially with two machines behind the same NAT contending for the same UDP range, before advising that it's a 'crapshoot'. Thanks
____________________________
Djigga, please. Highland Hyurs can't jump.

#10 Jan 02 2011 at 12:06 PM Rating: Good
*****
11,539 posts
volta1 wrote:
Hyena wrote:
It's a complete crapshoot honestly when it comes to having a solid connection. Either you do or you don't. No amount of router shenanigans and ISP calls will solve it. I've played while streaming something from justin.tv, or watching youtube, downloading a torrent, connected to vent, or skype and never once d/ced. Then when I'm just playing regularly, I'll get a game server error and crash every 10-20 minutes. And this is with no changes done to my connection or router at all.

Disconnecting in general has some irritating issues and I really hope that SE takes a look at it to fix it. If you d/c during behest, you can't do it anymore. D/c during a leve, you lose the leve. D/c during a craft, you lose the craft (I've d/ced right as I was about to click finish). Granted, d/c'ing during a craft and losing all the mats is nothing new since FFXI had the same issue. What's an even bigger slap in the face is that you won't be able to log back in for 10-20 mins since your character stays stuck ingame. Being on vent with my friends, they tell me when my character depops so I can log back in. The amount of leves and guild marks I've lost due to d/c's is 1 too many. Especially when I'm perfectly able to use the internet elsewhere.


I'm sorry you've had trouble with your internet connection, but your statement is just false.

There are things every gamer can do to ensure a good connection. First, don't use wifi. Second, have proper network configurations on your routers/firewalls/NAT. Third, have proper game configuration. Last, have proper OS configuration.

To say it's a random crapshoot is very defeatist, and misleading. This is a science, not an art, and there is a 'right' and 'wrong' way to do things. I'm not trying to be high and mighty here, but please, don't give up if you have problems... there is a way to fix it. To the OP: I suggest you try what I mentioned in my first post... it should help you.


I blame the "The internet is some magical, untameable being" outlook on the same mindset that leads to those "Is your computer slow? Does it take more than three seconds to look at your email? You must have a virus! They can cause permanent, irreperable damage to your whole computer! Download our free software to scan your computer for viruses!" commercials.

I mean, I'm not "a car person", but if my car is making weird sounds, I take it to a mechanic and trust them to find the cause and fix it; not attribute it to gremlins under the hood.

That said, I'm in agreement with these suggestions. Don't play an MMORPG on wifi is the first step.

Beyond that, let's go straight for the "Nuke it from orbit to get the ants out of your garden" troubleshooting:

If the issue is happening with a hardwired ethernet connection from more than one port on the same router, with more than one computer, then the issue may be in your router or modem (or both), either a configuration issue, or a hardware issue.

Assuming your computer is connected via ethernet and nothing else is conencted to your router and you're having the same issue with either computer, next suggestion would be to take the computer to someone else's house, preferably with a different router/modem and try it hardwired there with a different cable.

If that works, then that tells us that the problem is either your router, your modem, your wiring (either inside or outside of your house). If that doesn't work, then the issue is with the computer itself (either configuration or hardware).

After that, it's a matter of playing the "Replace one thing at a time to rule things out" game until you solve it.

Brute force may be overkill, but it -will- fix the issue eventually.

Edited, Jan 2nd 2011 1:07pm by Mikhalia
____________________________
[ffxisig]55836[/ffxisig]

Mikhalia: and FWIW, my posts are 95% helpful, informative, or funny.
Mikhalia: only 5% or less of my posts are utter crap.
Tyapex: 393 posts of utter crap...
Mikhalia: Sounds about right.
#11 Jan 02 2011 at 1:09 PM Rating: Excellent
Scholar
**
691 posts
Most likely your issue is being caused by dropped information packets on your end.

This can be caused by a variety of issues, but they can generally be categorized into one of two larger generalizations.

1. Your router, modem, and/or connection are insufficient.
2. Downloads, uploads, or other forms of traffic are interrupting the flow of information.

In the case of the first issue, you can buy a new router, better modem, or switch your ISP, connection plan, and/or your DNS servers.

In the case of the second issue, here's what I do to prevent my roommates from torrenting, which is the leading cause of connection (and computer security) issues in the USA.
1. Turn UPNP OFF. Torrents pretty much hijack as many available ports as they can find in order to maximize their efficiency.
2. Set up your wireless access list. Only allow the MAC addresses of your computer, their computer, and any PS3s in the house.
3. Block all the ports on the other computers' IP/MAC except for those needed to access the internet. You're paying for the internet, and if they are not, they really don't deserve to even be using it at all (unless they are your spouse, then you're SOL). Gaming actually uses up the least amount of bandwidth of any form of traffic besides email. Torrenting uses over 500% of any other form of traffic, and in some cases up to 1000%.

If after doing those steps you still have issues, I suggest a hardware upgrade or personalized router software with QOS.

Almost forgot, you can view all traffic from your router's logs. If any device on your network is getting ports opened every few seconds, the issues lies there.

Here's an example of what a router's log looks like when you block other devices on the network from doing any torrenting.
[site allowed: 1.54.channel.facebook.com] from source 192.168.1.3, Sunday, January 02,2011 11:08:13
[service blocked: 34] from source 192.168.1.3, Sunday, January 02,2011 11:08:12
[service blocked: 45] from source 192.168.1.3, Sunday, January 02,2011 11:07:59
[site allowed: stats.ssa.gov] from source 192.168.1.74, Sunday, January 02,2011 11:07:58
[site allowed: www.ssa.gov] from source 192.168.1.74, Sunday, January 02,2011 11:07:56
[service blocked: 45] from source 192.168.1.3, Sunday, January 02,2011 11:07:52
[site allowed: stats.ssa.gov] from source 192.168.1.74, Sunday, January 02,2011 11:07:51
[service blocked: 45] from source 192.168.1.3, Sunday, January 02,2011 11:07:38
[site allowed: beacon.scorecardresearch.com] from source 192.168.1.100, Sunday, January 02,2011 11:07:34
[site allowed: ffxiv.zam.com] from source 192.168.1.100, Sunday, January 02,2011 11:07:33
[site allowed: common.zam.com] from source 192.168.1.100, Sunday, January 02,2011 11:07:33
[site allowed: ffxiv.zam.com] from source 192.168.1.100, Sunday, January 02,2011 11:07:33
[service blocked: 45] from source 192.168.1.3, Sunday, January 02,2011 11:07:33
[site allowed: rss.msnbc.msn.com] from source 192.168.1.3, Sunday, January 02,2011 11:07:31
[site allowed: g.msn.com] from source 192.168.1.3, Sunday, January 02,2011 11:07:30
[service blocked: 45] from source 192.168.1.3, Sunday, January 02,2011 11:07:28
[site allowed: beacon.scorecardresearch.com] from source 192.168.1.100, Sunday, January 02,2011 11:07:25
[site allowed: ffxiv.zam.com] from source 192.168.1.100, Sunday, January 02,2011 11:07:25
[site allowed: common.zam.com] from source 192.168.1.100, Sunday, January 02,2011 11:07:25
[site allowed: ffxiv.zam.com] from source 192.168.1.100, Sunday, January 02,2011 11:07:25
[site allowed: common.zam.com] from source 192.168.1.100, Sunday, January 02,2011 11:07:25
[site allowed: ffxiv.zam.com] from source 192.168.1.100, Sunday, January 02,2011 11:07:25
[service blocked: 34] from source 192.168.1.3, Sunday, January 02,2011 11:07:23
[site allowed: beacon.scorecardresearch.com] from source 192.168.1.100, Sunday, January 02,2011 11:07:22
[site allowed: ffxiv.zam.com] from source 192.168.1.100, Sunday, January 02,2011 11:07:22
[site allowed: common.zam.com] from source 192.168.1.100, Sunday, January 02,2011 11:07:22
[site allowed: ffxiv.zam.com] from source 192.168.1.100, Sunday, January 02,2011 11:07:21

.100 is me just on ZAM
.3 is a roommate with a torrenting habit and very little intelligence, skill, and a complete lack of any technological knowledge. His laptop has enough viruses to be considered a antivirus' worst nightmare =p



Edited, Jan 2nd 2011 1:18pm by Uryuu
#12 Jan 02 2011 at 1:48 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
828 posts
so many things can have an effect on wifi thats i'd definately suggest using a network cable if it is at all possible to do so. if your connections alot more stable with a cabled link from router to pc then its probably the wifi.

have you tried changing the channel that your router boradcasts on? as wierd as it may sound i had a problem where my router would drop all wireless if the washing machine was on. so i did the obvious and moved it. then it started to lose signal strength. at channel 1 i'd get like 46% signal strength in some rooms of the house. channel 8 i'd get nearly 70%.

hyena wrote:
After properly port forwarding, having a direct connection, and configuring my network to run smooth. if things still go awry then I blame the game. How is it that by not changing -anything-, I go from disconnecting an average of 6-10 times a play session to my character staying logged in for more than a week? Why is it that -only- FFXIV gives me these network issues and disconnects yet every other online game I play, be it MMO, FPS, Fighting, etc., that requires a constant connection functions perfectly?

Sadly this is not always correct. it could be your isp, or simply the route your traffic takes from you to the ffxiv server.
If you are at all familier with EVE Online then you may be familier with the infamous "Socket Closed" disconnection problems. i myself had a problem where buy i could play without problems but as soon as my clock hit 6pm bam goes my connection. i would experience the "socket closed" error message every 3-5 minutes. yet this error only ever affected EVE. i could still stay connected lfp in ffxi or be playin metal gear online on my ps3, downloading music all without problem. i could connect to the internet using my mobile phone and play EVE without problem at these same times of day. but try again with my router and the problems return.

for me the problem was simply my isp (which was Tiscali) after a little research on the internet i found my fault to be tiscali's port blocking, and traffic shaping procedures during the "peak" hours. and with a little more research on the EVE community forums i found i was one of hundreds of people with the same problem and the same isp so i changed and had no more problems since.

My point is thats it not always the game or whatever software at fault. everything in your house may be set up perfectly. but if your isp has a fault your perfect settings aint gonna help.

Edited, Jan 2nd 2011 2:54pm by Dzian
____________________________


#13 Jan 02 2011 at 5:49 PM Rating: Good
6 posts
volta1 wrote:
Well, if you have two computers, that's most likely the problem. Does it happen when only ONE of the computers is on?

Yes. I took all systems and computers off the network, including PS3, XBox, iPhone, and all other computers. Even with only the one computer running and not running any other programs, it d/cs, same manner

volta1 wrote:
You say you "set up port forwarding" but for what exactly? The way you explained it, it looks like traffic destined for one machine is ending up at the other (and vice-versa) which would explain the disconnects.

Negative. Port Forwarding a selected range for one computer and the other range for the other computer. Config FFXIV that it selects a port within the range for that particular computer. This is also obsolete fix, as when doing the test with only one computer on the network it still crashed, so it is not a matter of traffic for one computer hitting the other.

volta1 wrote:
Try changing the ports the game uses in ONE of the computers in the FFXIV config program (change the 5s to 6s or something), and then COPY the port forward rule you have to use the newly designated ports and pointed to the IP of the machine you just re-configured.


All done.

Adding things we've tried:

Channel hopping the radio signal of the router

Narrowing the bandwidth of the router so various radio interference shouldn't interfere as much.

Next I'll be trying hard-lining a connection. But you know, I'm still back to the biggest irk. We never ever ever ever had a problem until four days ago. Why would all of a sudden the only way to play FFXIV is to hard-line instead of wifi? I know hard-line is better for online games, but why all of a sudden in the past 4 days should it be required in order to run FFXIV?
#14 Jan 02 2011 at 5:53 PM Rating: Good
6 posts
It should also be worth mentioning I have spoken with several other people that have been having the exact same problem the past four days. Sure, we can all find out what we have in common and thus find out what it is that is causing us all to crash, but note that everyone is having the same problem. Only FFXIV of all of their programs is suffering an issue, and everyone is suffering the exact same issue with FFXIV.

Thois says simply that it is something FFXIV changed. Now, being that it is a problem only those of us are suffering, it might be a particular graphics card, or an OS, or particular ISP, in relation to FFXIV, but the fault is coming from FFXIV.
#15 Jan 03 2011 at 10:58 PM Rating: Excellent
Scholar
**
802 posts
Actually this is a pretty common thing in my LS. Some of us get it 4-5 times per day.

I get at least once per day.

Sometimes, its all smooth and stuff. The problem still remains. Who knows maybe its a server bug, or it could also be ISPs treating FFXIV as a torrent software kicking the connection, ****, it could be the spirits of our ancestors trying to send us a sign to stop play FFXIV and do something else more useful (>...>

Whatever it is, everyone is guessing.
____________________________


#16 Jan 03 2011 at 11:41 PM Rating: Good
6 posts
Ok, so here's the final solution. Maybe its FFXIV, or maybe its a recent Windows update. I'm inclined to believe is a recent FFXIV thing.

Now, FFXIV is completely totally utterly sensitive to bandwidth. Apparently, FFXIV now commands an immense amount of bandwidth. So much so, that (and this is taken from others that can confirm) two people can not be on the same wifi connection, or otherwise you will experience packet loss and will crash. Even if only one of you is on wifi, if one of you is doing something to eat bandwidth, you will crash. Even if you are both hard-line your internet connection, if one of you is eating too much (and by too much I do not mean downloading massive amounts of internet ****, I mean even if you are...uh....streaming Youtube) you may crash.

I've come to the final decision that in the effort to speed the FFXIV interface, FFXIV has so sensitively routed the packet transfer that even the mildest packet loss will result in critical failure. And there's nothing you can do....except get a second internet connection just to run FFXIV.
#17 Jan 04 2011 at 12:50 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
*
53 posts
Sarizaddi wrote:
Ok, so here's the final solution. Maybe its FFXIV, or maybe its a recent Windows update. I'm inclined to believe is a recent FFXIV thing.

Now, FFXIV is completely totally utterly sensitive to bandwidth. Apparently, FFXIV now commands an immense amount of bandwidth. So much so, that (and this is taken from others that can confirm) two people can not be on the same wifi connection, or otherwise you will experience packet loss and will crash. Even if only one of you is on wifi, if one of you is doing something to eat bandwidth, you will crash. Even if you are both hard-line your internet connection, if one of you is eating too much (and by too much I do not mean downloading massive amounts of internet ****, I mean even if you are...uh....streaming Youtube) you may crash.

I've come to the final decision that in the effort to speed the FFXIV interface, FFXIV has so sensitively routed the packet transfer that even the mildest packet loss will result in critical failure. And there's nothing you can do....except get a second internet connection just to run FFXIV.


There is one person in my LS that started d/c-ing a lot lately. So apparently there is something bad happening.

But that said, I cant really agree with your theory to the fullest. I am running FFXIV hardwired on a not super fast ADSL (up to 8 megabit according to the ISP).
At times there might be two other computers doing lots of stuff on facebook, youtube, FFXIV or other MMOs. One of those is wired, the other is a laptop on wifi (no FFXIV on the laptop though)

And we are having no such troubles as described here.

Maybe we would run into this kind of problem if we started torrenting a lot or running everything over wifi, but with "normal usage" and hardwired connections for FFXIV it works fine here.

And personally I dont trust wifi enough for online gaming. Be it ping times or just the odd chance someone stands in the wrong spot at the wrong time so the signal is deflected when I'm in a boss fight.
#18 Jan 04 2011 at 11:43 AM Rating: Excellent
***
1,077 posts
I would bet money that the problem is NOT on your end, but on SE's. Clearly, you aren't clueless.

SE needs to look into this. I expect emergency maintenance sometime in the very near future. Too many of us have had this issue and it's just happening now. Too coincidental, imo.
____________________________
Nekovivie - Titan Server/retired
WereStillWithYellow


We are the Canadian Borg.
Resistance would be impolite.
Please wait to be assimilated.
Pour l'assimilation en francais, veuillez appuyer le

#19 Jan 04 2011 at 12:02 PM Rating: Good
6 posts
Let me revise to be clear on my theory...it's a combination problem. It is bandwidth, but I think it has a lot to do with the way Windows 7 is using it. Everyone I've talked to having this problem was running Windows 7 (everyone but 1, who was using Vista). Maybe not everyone is experience the exact same type of issue, but it definitely seems to be a problem with bandwidth, Windows 7 seems to be a factor, and I think it is definitely on SE's end, dealing with FFXIV now having a problem to over-sensitivity to packet-loss.

Maybe I'm thinking of it the wrong way, but it seems maybe in order to speed up the interface, SE may have cut back on packet redundancy. Less redundancy means when there is a packet-loss, it would cause more critical failure. That's the theory I come to.

I'm wondering if upgrading the router from a 300mbps to a 600mbps might help solve the problem, but even then a network is usually only as fast as it's slowest computer, so I don't know. Think I might hold out a little bit to see if SE even recognizes it has a problem, and if so if they intend to fix it, or tell us how we can fix our end.
#20 Jan 04 2011 at 12:53 PM Rating: Excellent
Scholar
**
828 posts
Sarizaddi wrote:
FFXIV now commands an immense amount of bandwidth. So much so, that (and this is taken from others that can confirm) two people can not be on the same wifi connection, or otherwise you will experience packet loss and will crash. Even if only one of you is on wifi, if one of you is doing something to eat bandwidth, you will crash.
In a typical evening. i run ffxiv on my pc. i also run eve online on my laptop and a team speak client pretty regularly. add to that typical internet browsing type stuff. My flat mate nearly always has wow running and also runs eve online fairly reguarly. and then somedays can have either the 360 or ps3 going online also. i quite often coop stuff on my ps3 while i have ffxiv logged in running a bazaar and docked on eve ready to roll if needed by alliance.

so its pretty fair to say my internet connection sees a pretty heavy usage and i experience very few problems with ffxiv. my earlier comment of maybe a problem with your isp may be the issue. i was playing eve online for maybe 5 or 6 months before i encountered problems with tiscalis port blocking and traffic shaping procedures. so it seems like it could be a likely cause of your problems.

Have you tried using a ping plotter or traceart? maybe trace the connection along its route and find out exactly where the packet loss occurs. Get your friends to do the same and compare results. Going back to the EVE problem i mentioned it became apparant once people started comparing ping tests that most peoples problems were packet loss at the same ip address and thus the cause of peoples problems was found. so i think for you this could be an ideal next step.

EDIT:- RE: OS. my pc uses W7 Ultimate 64bit, laptop uses Vista HP 32bit, flatmate has W7 HP & PRO.

Edited, Jan 4th 2011 2:09pm by Dzian
____________________________


#21 Jan 04 2011 at 3:35 PM Rating: Decent
9 posts
Sarizaddi wrote:
I'm wondering if upgrading the router from a 300mbps to a 600mbps might help solve the problem, but even then a network is usually only as fast as it's slowest computer, so I don't know. Think I might hold out a little bit to see if SE even recognizes it has a problem, and if so if they intend to fix it, or tell us how we can fix our end.


Not sure if it is possible but I would take the router out of the equation. Completely remove your router. Connect your computer directly into the cable modem.

If you still have problems, then you can just reset your router back to factory settings because all router settings don't matter.
If the issue is fixed, buy a new router.

#22 Jan 04 2011 at 9:31 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
**
802 posts
Dzian wrote:
Sarizaddi wrote:
FFXIV now commands an immense amount of bandwidth. So much so, that (and this is taken from others that can confirm) two people can not be on the same wifi connection, or otherwise you will experience packet loss and will crash. Even if only one of you is on wifi, if one of you is doing something to eat bandwidth, you will crash.
In a typical evening. i run ffxiv on my pc. i also run eve online on my laptop and a team speak client pretty regularly. add to that typical internet browsing type stuff. My flat mate nearly always has wow running and also runs eve online fairly reguarly. and then somedays can have either the 360 or ps3 going online also. i quite often coop stuff on my ps3 while i have ffxiv logged in running a bazaar and docked on eve ready to roll if needed by alliance.

so its pretty fair to say my internet connection sees a pretty heavy usage and i experience very few problems with ffxiv. my earlier comment of maybe a problem with your isp may be the issue. i was playing eve online for maybe 5 or 6 months before i encountered problems with tiscalis port blocking and traffic shaping procedures. so it seems like it could be a likely cause of your problems.

Have you tried using a ping plotter or traceart? maybe trace the connection along its route and find out exactly where the packet loss occurs. Get your friends to do the same and compare results. Going back to the EVE problem i mentioned it became apparant once people started comparing ping tests that most peoples problems were packet loss at the same ip address and thus the cause of peoples problems was found. so i think for you this could be an ideal next step.

EDIT:- RE: OS. my pc uses W7 Ultimate 64bit, laptop uses Vista HP 32bit, flatmate has W7 HP & PRO.

Edited, Jan 4th 2011 2:09pm by Dzian


http://i56.tinypic.com/1zqdl01.jpg

Well I just got R0 .....

The small spike is exact time of the R0 (>...> Can't tell nuts whose at fault..

Edited, Jan 4th 2011 10:31pm by Humster

Edited, Jan 4th 2011 10:32pm by Humster
____________________________


#23 Jan 04 2011 at 10:03 PM Rating: Decent
Sage
**
447 posts
Sarizaddi wrote:
It should also be worth mentioning I have spoken with several other people that have been having the exact same problem the past four days. Sure, we can all find out what we have in common and thus find out what it is that is causing us all to crash, but note that everyone is having the same problem. Only FFXIV of all of their programs is suffering an issue, and everyone is suffering the exact same issue with FFXIV.

Thois says simply that it is something FFXIV changed. Now, being that it is a problem only those of us are suffering, it might be a particular graphics card, or an OS, or particular ISP, in relation to FFXIV, but the fault is coming from FFXIV.



Maybe it's the realm you are using?
____________________________
Djigga, please. Highland Hyurs can't jump.

#24 Jan 05 2011 at 12:14 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
29 posts
Nekovivie wrote:
I would bet money that the problem is NOT on your end, but on SE's. Clearly, you aren't clueless.

SE needs to look into this. I expect emergency maintenance sometime in the very near future. Too many of us have had this issue and it's just happening now. Too coincidental, imo.

I think you're right, it seems like something on SE's end is triggering this error. If you look back over various forums, you'll notice that a new batch of people start experiencing this problem after just about every patch.

It's a shame that only certain people are able to fix this problem themselves. SE needs to fix this, especially since the number of people experiencing the error seems to be rising.
____________________________

#25 Jan 16 2011 at 4:13 AM Rating: Excellent
*
81 posts
I have been having this problem all day today. It first occurred in the morning so I gave up and did other stuff. Later at night everything was working fine then suddenly I kept dropping out every few minutes. I tried different channels, made sure nobody was downloading anything etc nothing worked. The game is completely unplayable for me as I cannot accomplish anything with constant disconnects. Has anyone found out what causes this problem? Any help greatly appreciated.
____________________________


#26 Jan 16 2011 at 5:54 AM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
**
676 posts
Yesterday I disconnected a record 5 times in the space of less than 20 minutes. I was so frustrated at this I actually posted in the feedback forum suggesting they find a fix for it. It's happening to too many people for this to just be coincidence. My first guess was that the servers were overloaded or something, perhaps by too many players being in the local area, but I was being disconnected in fairly quiet areas, and usually within 5 minutes of logging in from the last disconnect.

Hope they fix this because it's incredibly frustrating.
____________________________

FFXI: Siren Server: Seiowan Lvl 99 WHM, SCH, BLM
FFXIV: Ragnarok Server: Lemuria Glitterhands All Classes 50
#27 Jan 16 2011 at 3:28 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
41 posts
I'd have less issues with the disconnects if meant I didn't have to deal with not being able to log back in for 10-15 mins due to my character not being booted from the game. But that's just one among the many annoyances disconnects cause.
#28 Jan 17 2011 at 12:03 AM Rating: Excellent
Scholar
20 posts
I may have found a fix for this issue. I also have been suffering from this issue for weeks. After reading and trying several of the suggestions to no avail, I started trying new things. The last try was this. I opened the FFXIV Config, then opened the General Tab. I changed the UPnP Port Mapping from Automatic to Do Not Use. After this I have not DCed all night.

Hawk Talon
Besaid Server
#29 Jan 17 2011 at 12:12 AM Rating: Good
***
2,232 posts
When you guys say don't use WiFi for MMO's, does that mean not inside my own network, or like a WiFi ISP?

What is the issue with using WiFi in the first place?

I'm just curious because my personal PC, and my PS3 (which i'll be playing FFXIV on if it ever comes out) are both WiFi.

Thanks :)
____________________________
Character: Urzol Thrush
Server: Ultros
FC: The Kraken Club

Outshined

Teneleven wrote:
We secretly replaced your tank wemelchor with Foldgers Crystal's. Let's see what happens.

#30 Jan 29 2011 at 1:56 PM Rating: Decent
5 posts
I'd like to say that I have been having lots of R0 int he last few days and I never had this issue before.

I remember it was so bad on thursday (and now actually) that I can't play.. I went to bed woke up friday and the game was just fine >_>;;; and it was messed up at night again.

I suffer from packet loss with an average ping of ~480ms which isn't healthy at all.

and no, it is not windows updates, so it is an issue from SE side and I hope they fix it.
____________________________
Recca Sensou (Conjurer - Besaid Server)

#31 Jan 29 2011 at 2:29 PM Rating: Decent
12 posts
Yes, I am having the same issues...for the past few days I would start a leve and my reception would go down to 0...and I would disconnect...take 10 minutes to get back on and the leve failed...this happened with 4 different leves so I gave up in frustration..I'm still new to all this so I wish at the very least you can restart a leve after disconnecting
____________________________




#32 Jan 29 2011 at 11:15 PM Rating: Decent
Same thing happened to me last week for about three days. Every night at around the same time the game would start to randomly disconnect. I just logged out of game when this happened and didn't start playing again until the next day.

During the day it was fine, only at night did any problems come up.

The only thing I can tell you is to wait it out. That's what I did and now I'm back to playing disconnect free.
#33 Jan 29 2011 at 11:18 PM Rating: Decent
31 posts
Same thing happened to me. Just waited it out and it went away after a few days. Didn't do any configuration or anything, just stopped just as randomly as it started.
____________________________


#34 Feb 03 2011 at 1:39 AM Rating: Decent
***
1,608 posts
Servers cannot handle the strain atm it seems. Can't stay logged on for more than 5 minutes before getting the 30002 boot.
____________________________

#35 Feb 03 2011 at 2:53 AM Rating: Decent
7 posts
Getting this all night tonight. Haven't had an issue until today's update, now it is every 5-20mins d/c.

Glad its not just me, but this is ridiculous. Maybe it's the server load? Happens on 2 PCs, one wireless, one wired, only having one on at a time.
#36 Feb 03 2011 at 7:31 AM Rating: Default
***
1,608 posts
I found the problem and solution.

In a random chance of misfortune, the saved character settings get corrupted. It could be your macros, keyboard settings, anything that is saved under the user folder can be the cause of this. The result is the server hickups on your character when it tries to read that corrupted piece, booting you with the 30002 error.

To fix it:

1) Go to Documents -> My Games -> Final Fantasy XIV -> user

2) Delete all the folders inside.

3) Restart the game.

You should have no problems unless something in those files gets messed up again.


The downside is this slicks all your widget settings, your macros, all configurations inside the game.

After you reconfigure your character settings immediately save a backup of your user folder in a safe place, so in case you need to do this again in the future you won't have to spend hours setting up your character again.
____________________________

#37 Feb 05 2011 at 2:00 AM Rating: Good
***
3,178 posts
Since the latest update I get 30002 every 20 minutes or so.

No change is my PC or software in the last week. I have read this entire thread. Last night I changed my network cable. I reinstalled McAfee and used an anti-virus sweep (removed some Adware but no improvement). My wife's laptop has no trouble, my Xbox 360 has no trouble. I can stream Netflix just fine. Other online games are working well with no interruptions. Yet FFXIV cannot run for long enough to finish a Leve.

I see from this threads ratings that the popular opinion is that there is a problem with everyone's ISP or hardware. Everyone? For FFXIV only? Doubtful. While I agree that the internet is not magical and that there is an actual problem somewhere, only FFXIV is giving me constant errors.

What am I missing?
#38 Feb 05 2011 at 3:09 AM Rating: Good
****
9,526 posts
hope a solution is found.

:(
____________________________
lolgaxe wrote:
When it comes to sitting around not doing anything for long periods of time, only being active for short windows, and marginal changes and sidegrades I'd say FFXI players were the perfect choice for politicians.


#39 Feb 05 2011 at 5:45 AM Rating: Default
***
1,608 posts
lol, sweet irony.
____________________________

#40 Feb 05 2011 at 8:01 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
*
72 posts
Edited: Placing this here from Previous Post (Windows 7)
There may be issues with the Packet Transfer Throttling on the other verions of windowns as well. But this one is for Windows 7

Found this repair and so far it's working for me. I'm not sure if SE has made any other updates, but i've been using this for couple months now and I haven't bee D/C once, aside from Server Crash etc.

Run: regedit
Go to: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Multimedia\SystemProfile
There will be an entry for network performance throttling, default value is 10; set it to FFFFFFFF hex (willl look like 0xFFFFFFFF to the right of the entry)
Reboot

Since Windows 7 is defaul to 10 packet transfer max and FFXIV experiences higher transfer rates at times it causes lag and d/c. I noticed higher kbps transfer now on my Network Meter so it seems to work. Let me know if this helps you out.

EDIT: If you are not familiar with the Registry and don't feel comfortable at doing this, DON'T. You can really mess things up. Make a Restore Point and Backup your computer before attempting at the least.

Edited, Feb 5th 2011 9:05am by SlayerXero
____________________________






#41 Feb 05 2011 at 8:31 AM Rating: Decent
***
1,608 posts
SlayerXero wrote:
Edited: Placing this here from Previous Post (Windows 7)
There may be issues with the Packet Transfer Throttling on the other verions of windowns as well. But this one is for Windows 7

Found this repair and so far it's working for me. I'm not sure if SE has made any other updates, but i've been using this for couple months now and I haven't bee D/C once, aside from Server Crash etc.

Run: regedit
Go to: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Multimedia\SystemProfile
There will be an entry for network performance throttling, default value is 10; set it to FFFFFFFF hex (willl look like 0xFFFFFFFF to the right of the entry)
Reboot

Since Windows 7 is defaul to 10 packet transfer max and FFXIV experiences higher transfer rates at times it causes lag and d/c. I noticed higher kbps transfer now on my Network Meter so it seems to work. Let me know if this helps you out.

EDIT: If you are not familiar with the Registry and don't feel comfortable at doing this, DON'T. You can really mess things up. Make a Restore Point and Backup your computer before attempting at the least.

Edited, Feb 5th 2011 9:05am by SlayerXero


All this does is remove the packet limit Windows 7 has preset for network stability. If you have high speeds internet it will make your web pages load faster as well as your downloads but would only help FFXIV if you are running many network-hogging programs in the background. By removing the limit completely you could be causing more harm than good.
____________________________

#42 Feb 05 2011 at 11:59 AM Rating: Good
***
3,178 posts
LyleVertigo wrote:
lol, sweet irony.


wtf? this amuses you Lyle?

Since everything in my house works fine except for FFXIV, I know exactly how to stop having this 30002 error.
#43 Feb 05 2011 at 12:19 PM Rating: Good
***
3,178 posts
I get the feeling that posters here do not understand that if FFXIV is only playable be those with advanced internet knowledge than IT IS BROKEN.
#44 Feb 06 2011 at 1:52 PM Rating: Good
*
236 posts
RufuSwho wrote:
Since the latest update I get 30002 every 20 minutes or so.

No change is my PC or software in the last week. I have read this entire thread. Last night I changed my network cable. I reinstalled McAfee and used an anti-virus sweep (removed some Adware but no improvement). My wife's laptop has no trouble, my Xbox 360 has no trouble. I can stream Netflix just fine. Other online games are working well with no interruptions. Yet FFXIV cannot run for long enough to finish a Leve.

I see from this threads ratings that the popular opinion is that there is a problem with everyone's ISP or hardware. Everyone? For FFXIV only? Doubtful. While I agree that the internet is not magical and that there is an actual problem somewhere, only FFXIV is giving me constant errors.

What am I missing?


I'm particularly curious because I just brought home, setup and began playing on a brand new PC last night. I played for a solid 5 hours last night without disconnecting once (prior to playing on this brand new PC, I played on a weak laptop for about 8 total hours earlier in the week, so I had played a total of ~13 hours since buying FFXIV without disconnecting once). This morning I powered up the new PC and logged in and was booted within about 5 minutes. After a minute or so I was allowed to log back in and was once again booted in <3 minutes. Waited, logged back in and was again booted in about 3 minutes. Tried once more, to the same result and than gave up on playing until at least tonight. In the 9 hours between going to sleep last night and trying to play today, absolutely nothing has changed in my set up. Why am I getting disconnected every few minutes today? It keeps saying server error disconnecting me and than saying the lobby isn't available if I try to log back in too quickly. Very frustrated.
____________________________

#45 Feb 07 2011 at 7:18 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
*
72 posts
My guess for what has changed is the amount of traffic on the SE server. Depending on your timezone the majority of players are on 6EST (starting logging) and 7EST.
From what I understand SE controls all the data Server Side. So the more people around you the more data about what they are wearing, sprite info, stats etc the more Data has to be transferred per instance. I even experience lag and I don't usually go above 44 Latency and at max 200. Which I think is due to other peoples information not being read/trasferred to SE fast enough.
#46 Feb 07 2011 at 2:13 PM Rating: Good
***
3,178 posts
Check this out for a compilation of the various fixes from ZAM, the Lodestone and other sources:

http://ffxiv.zam.com/forum.html?forum=173&mid=1296937775285461089&page=1

If you have not done so, submitting a ticket to SE would be a good idea. While they will not help you beyond basic internet troubleshooting steps, after enough tickets have been submitted they should realize that this is not an issue which can just be ignored.

https://support.na.square-enix.com/contact.php?id=902&la=1


Edited, Feb 7th 2011 3:14pm by RufuSwho
#47 Feb 07 2011 at 2:53 PM Rating: Good
***
3,178 posts
Quote:
Dear Customer,

Regarding your request for technical support. Please find your answer below.

If you are having any trouble playing Final Fantasy XIV, please refer to this article of our Knowledge Base:

http://support.na.square-enix.com/faqarticle.php?kid=56903&id=902&la=1&ret=faq&pv=10&page=0&c=0&sc=0&so=4&q=I+am+unable+to+play

If this does not solve your issue please contact the Square Enix Support Center and we will endeavor to assist you further. You can contact us during our normal business hours at http://support.na.square-enix.com, hours of operation are 9:00 am to 6:00 pm Pacific Standard Time (PST) Monday through Friday.


Thank you for contacting the SQUARE ENIX Support Center.


Quote:
■ If you are unable to connect
By trying the steps below, you may be able to fix the problem.

* Power cycle the connectivity device
Sometimes, resetting the bad data stored in the connectivity device will allow you to connect normally. Turn off the power on the modem, router, hub, etc., wait several minutes, turn the power on again, and check whether or not the problem is fixed.

* Update the firmware of the connectivity device
With some devices, you may be unable to connect properly using a certain version of the firmware. We recommend updating to the newest version.

- Please check with the device’s manufacturer regarding the method of updating the firmware. Even if you are running the newest version, overwriting it may fix the problem.

* Connect the PC directly to the modem
To determine the source of the problem, temporarily disconnect any device that splits the connection, such as a hub, connect, and test whether or not the problem has been solved.

- The connection type may be changed to broadband. Please ask your provider about which settings to use.

* Firewall settings/deactivation
Please delete or deactivate any programs that you judge to be unnecessary and check whether or not the problem has been fixed. At this time, if you are using security software or firewall software, you can try (at your own risk) adjusting the settings so that “ffxivboot.exe” is allowed to bypass the software, deactivating the software, or uninstalling it.

- How to terminate all running applications

*How to Shut Down Background Programs
Click on the Windows Start Button. For users of Click the "Run" button (or the "Search programs and files" text box for Windows 7 users) once the Start Menu is displayed. In the text box that comes up, type in "msconfig" and then click the "OK" button. The "System Configuration Utility" dialogue box should then be displayed. Click the General tab, and then click "Selective Startup." Uncheck the "Load startup items" checkbox, and then restart your computer. Once your computer has finished restarting, please try logging into FINAL FANTASY XIV again. After conducting this test, please be sure to return your "Load startup items" setting to its original configuration.

*Users with Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 2 will have to add an exception for FINAL FANTASY XIV in their Windows Firewall settings.

・Confirm Internet Connection
Please confirm that no maintenance is being performed and no connectivity problems are being experienced by your internet service provider.

・Confirm Internet Security
Please confirm with your internet service provider that no network security services are being performed by them. Depending on the type of security service being provided, your communication ports may be blocked and regular internet access may be hindered.

#48 Feb 07 2011 at 11:06 PM Rating: Good
*
236 posts
Not sure if this was intended to be a serious fix, but it doesn't work. Did it and got booted within 2 minutes of loggin in.

This is very, very frustrating. Sometimes when I log in I can play for hours. Other times when I log in I get the boot every 5-15 minutes. Nothing changes in between times and it's completely random which result I'm going to get. What's more, if I log in and get the boot I may as well not even try again for a few hours because it seems that no matter how many times I log back in, I'm doomed to be booted within minutes. Other times, I log in once and stay in for hours. It's like if the first attempt doesn't keep you logged in, you may as well give up playing for a few hours and try again later.
____________________________

#49 Feb 08 2011 at 12:28 AM Rating: Good
***
3,178 posts
Change UPnP settings

While you need UPnP set to "Automatic" for the downloader to work, you could optionally turn this off for everyday gameplay.

jeffmikl wrote:
I may have found a fix for this issue. I also have been suffering from this issue for weeks. After reading and trying several of the suggestions to no avail, I started trying new things. The last try was this. I opened the FFXIV Config, then opened the General Tab. I changed the UPnP Port Mapping from Automatic to Do Not Use. After this I have not DCed all night.

Hawk Talon


So I ended up doing this first because it seemed so easy. Did not disconnect all night after that.

Either the 30002 Error gave up, or the easiest fix on the list worked.
#50 Feb 08 2011 at 12:33 AM Rating: Good
*
236 posts
RufuSwho wrote:
Change UPnP settings

While you need UPnP set to "Automatic" for the downloader to work, you could optionally turn this off for everyday gameplay.

jeffmikl wrote:
I may have found a fix for this issue. I also have been suffering from this issue for weeks. After reading and trying several of the suggestions to no avail, I started trying new things. The last try was this. I opened the FFXIV Config, then opened the General Tab. I changed the UPnP Port Mapping from Automatic to Do Not Use. After this I have not DCed all night.

Hawk Talon


So I ended up doing this first because it seemed so easy. Did not disconnect all night after that.

Either the 30002 Error gave up, or the easiest fix on the list worked.



What's the consequence of doing this? Does it need to be turned back on whenever there is an update? What is effected? Because I'll do just about anything to eliminate this problem as long as I know the consequence or how/when to turn it back to automatic.
____________________________

#51 Feb 08 2011 at 11:18 AM Rating: Good
***
3,178 posts
Yes, you will have to switch it back for updates.

I doubt that this is what actually fixed the problem. Maybe something in my local network changed that I dont't know about. At any rate I'm going to leave well enough alone as long as I don't get 30002 again.

I tried to tax my router by turing on my PS3 and 360 and having my wife stream some videos on Netflix on her laptop. I still stayed logged on continuously for about 6 hours. Go figure.
« Previous 1 2
This forum is read only
This Forum is Read Only!
Recent Visitors: 18 All times are in CST
Anonymous Guests (18)