Forum Settings
       
« Previous 1 2 3 4
This Forum is Read Only

Anyone else quitting if they NGE the game?Follow

#1 Jan 02 2011 at 3:56 AM Rating: Default
**
269 posts
I know I will be.

Edited, Jan 2nd 2011 4:57am by thehellfire
____________________________
MUTED
#2 Jan 02 2011 at 4:06 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
1,536 posts
NGE?
____________________________
MUTED
#3 Jan 02 2011 at 4:12 AM Rating: Default
**
269 posts
SolidMack wrote:
NGE?

Cmoplete overhaul to Star Wars Galaxies that turned it into a wow clone and killed it off.
____________________________
MUTED
#4 Jan 02 2011 at 4:13 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
1,536 posts
I don't expect that to happen.
____________________________
MUTED
#5 Jan 02 2011 at 4:34 AM Rating: Excellent
9 posts
thehellfire wrote:
SolidMack wrote:
NGE?

Cmoplete overhaul to Star Wars Galaxies that turned it into a wow clone and killed it off.


First of all, what the heck is NGE? Why can't you just type out the whole words. Is it that hard? (one question mark so I don't seem to ask too much). Secondly, I'm not as smart or up-to-date as you, so please take the time to type out the words. Thirdly, the person who responded is OBVIOUSLY smarter than me, but how come you don't reference NGE and tell me what it is...?

Lastly, I bet if the answer is obvious, then you are way smarter than me, but please elaborate what NGE is. Is it Neon Genesis Evangelion????

The keyboard is your friend. After all, if you can type 3 letters holding shift or twice hitting CAPS LOCK, you can type out the entire words.

Don't be lazy. The internet is your voice...keep it CLEAR.




#6 Jan 02 2011 at 4:36 AM Rating: Excellent
**
451 posts
New Game Experience.
#7 Jan 02 2011 at 4:40 AM Rating: Good
*
182 posts
Totally agree to all here but... look... seems like all cool people use that language...

http://ffxiv.zam.com/forum.html?forum=152&mid=129385310771896980&page=1
#8 Jan 02 2011 at 4:41 AM Rating: Excellent
Ya know, if I didn't have any prior experience with MMOs, I would think people meant Neon Genesis Evangelion when they say 'NGE'. I could see it now, Giant organic robots fighting extra terrestrial beings named after god's messengers, religious references/mysticism galore, ultra intelligent waterfowl, more fan service, a full length movie with an ending more of a ******** than the original show's. Being rereleased several times over several years in different qualities and director cuts making me rebuy several times while spawning all sort of other merchandise and non canon series before going silent for several years before being redone as several 'awesome as ****' movies more than 10 years past the original release...

My god, I would love it.


P.S. I doubt the developers are going to go balls to the walls changing things, that last question of the poll could handle many a thing.

P.P.S. I hate my cat so ******* much right now, not because she decided to have her kittens at 5am in my bed, that happens. No I hate her because she decided to have her kittens at 5am in my bed on my chest... Waking up to the feeling of afterbirth sucks *** and requiring me to do my bedding this fine morning. What makes it even worse is the rest of my furniture hasn't been delivered, meaning I have nowhere to sleep to everything has been washed.
____________________________
Guns dont kill people. Rangers and Hunters with guns kill people.
Jefro420 wrote:
I won't be checking anyone in the BC ward that doesn't have star over their head from now on.




[ffxivsig]363957[/ffxivsig]
#9 Jan 02 2011 at 5:01 AM Rating: Good
***
3,177 posts
I doubt they would start over everything, if that's what you mean.

It's not a good idea to do that to keep subscribers and it just gives us a false sense of playing now if that were the case. Square-Enix may have screwed up with the launch, but not bad enough for it to warrant a whole starting over.

Edited, Jan 2nd 2011 3:06am by UltKnightGrover
____________________________
Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn
Grover Eyeveen - Hyperion Server
Viva Eorzea Free Company/Linkshell Leader - Hyperion Server

Aegis Server (2012-2013)
Figaro Server (2010-2012)

Final Fantasy XI:
Retired

Blog
#10 Jan 02 2011 at 5:28 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
**
494 posts
OniElvaan the Eccentric wrote:
Ya know, if I didn't have any prior experience with MMOs, I would think people meant Neon Genesis Evangelion when they say 'NGE'. I could see it now, Giant organic robots fighting extra terrestrial beings named after god's messengers, religious references/mysticism galore, ultra intelligent waterfowl, more fan service, a full length movie with an ending more of a mind@#%^ than the original show's. Being rereleased several times over several years in different qualities and director cuts making me rebuy several times while spawning all sort of other merchandise and non canon series before going silent for several years before being redone as several 'awesome as ****' movies more than 10 years past the original release...

My god, I would love it.


P.S. I doubt the developers are going to go balls to the walls changing things, that last question of the poll could handle many a thing.

P.P.S. I hate my cat so ******* much right now, not because she decided to have her kittens at 5am in my bed, that happens. No I hate her because she decided to have her kittens at 5am in my bed on my chest... Waking up to the feeling of afterbirth sucks *** and requiring me to do my bedding this fine morning. What makes it even worse is the rest of my furniture hasn't been delivered, meaning I have nowhere to sleep to everything has been washed.


-hugs- at least you have kittens!!
d'awwwwww

edit: also how do you have like 40 WoW chars o_o isn't that pushing it a little?

Edited, Jan 2nd 2011 6:30am by Azurymber
#11 Jan 02 2011 at 5:31 AM Rating: Good
****
4,169 posts
UltKnightGrover wrote:
It's not a good idea to do that to keep subscribers and it just gives us a false sense of playing now if that were the case.


The idea is not to keep subscribers, that's why you're playing for free right now. The idea is to bring all those who left back to the game with friends and more new players. If you're enjoying the game how it is running now, well... I won't bash you for it, but you should already have a false sense of something...
____________________________
Rinsui wrote:
Only hips + boobs all day and hips + boobs all over my icecream

HaibaneRenmei wrote:
30 bucks is almost free

cocodojo wrote:
Its personal preference and all, but yes we need to educate WoW players that this is OUR game, these are Characters and not Toons. Time to beat that into them one at a time.
#12 Jan 02 2011 at 5:33 AM Rating: Good
***
2,120 posts
Since reading that last question of the survey the other night I've played out a couple of extreme scenarios in my head regarding upcoming changes. On one end, there's what you're talking about. A total overhaul and starting over that would probably have me considering the option of just moving on. And on the other, a miraculous series of changes that makes the game incredible. What I expect to happen is somewhere in the gray area in between those extremes. And once again, I'm still in "wait & see" mode on what I would actually decide to do in the near future. Even if the changes made the game better I could end up leaving when they start to charge because I'm just worn out from all of this...
____________________________

#13 Jan 02 2011 at 5:36 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
1,536 posts
Quote:
I won't bash you for it, but you should already have a false sense of something...


Hopefully that isn't a false sense of hope...as long as we have hope god damnit! that's all we can count on...I just wanted to play this game in its full glory before the end of the world, now I have no idea if that's ever going to happen...fml! FML!! Smiley: cry
____________________________
MUTED
#14 Jan 02 2011 at 5:42 AM Rating: Good
Azurymber wrote:
OniElvaan the Eccentric wrote:
Ya know, if I didn't have any prior experience with MMOs, I would think people meant Neon Genesis Evangelion when they say 'NGE'. I could see it now, Giant organic robots fighting extra terrestrial beings named after god's messengers, religious references/mysticism galore, ultra intelligent waterfowl, more fan service, a full length movie with an ending more of a mind@#%^ than the original show's. Being rereleased several times over several years in different qualities and director cuts making me rebuy several times while spawning all sort of other merchandise and non canon series before going silent for several years before being redone as several 'awesome as ****' movies more than 10 years past the original release...

My god, I would love it.


P.S. I doubt the developers are going to go balls to the walls changing things, that last question of the poll could handle many a thing.

P.P.S. I hate my cat so ******* much right now, not because she decided to have her kittens at 5am in my bed, that happens. No I hate her because she decided to have her kittens at 5am in my bed on my chest... Waking up to the feeling of afterbirth sucks *** and requiring me to do my bedding this fine morning. What makes it even worse is the rest of my furniture hasn't been delivered, meaning I have nowhere to sleep to everything has been washed.


-hugs- at least you have kittens!!
d'awwwwww

edit: also how do you have like 40 WoW chars o_o isn't that pushing it a little?

Edited, Jan 2nd 2011 6:30am by Azurymber


The Wow character thing came from Zam's addon they have(had?), got bugged out and added a slew of characters from no idea, never got around to fixing it, had maybe 8 characters throughout my WoW career, with only 4 going past 60 and even then, my last character was a Death Knight and they started at 55 so she didn't really count.
____________________________
Guns dont kill people. Rangers and Hunters with guns kill people.
Jefro420 wrote:
I won't be checking anyone in the BC ward that doesn't have star over their head from now on.




[ffxivsig]363957[/ffxivsig]
#15 Jan 02 2011 at 7:02 AM Rating: Decent
*
211 posts
It depends on where they go with it, but for the record, I voted that they not make any drastic overhauling changes. If they turn the game into a clone of anything other than FFXI, I'll definitely quit... I don't play other mmo's because I don't like them, so why would I like a clone of them?

I like SE's style, and I like the foundation they have in place for this game... It just needs loads and loads of content on top of that foundation. That's the only real issue I have with the game right now, it's just flat out incomplete, no way around it... That and I wish they would stifle the solo xp a lot, because if I wanted a solo game, I'd play a solo game... MMO's should be team experiences, especially around leveling. Crafting, some farming, and maybe a few lowly, hardly worth your time or very limited leves are the only things that should be solo focused.

Also, OP, your sig is ridiculous... SE is a console game company, that's where their fanbase has been and mostly still is. I'm only on the PC version because the PS3 version didn't co-launch, and I wouldn't be if they didn't support gamepads like certain other mmo's. The whole PC game at this point is basically a purchased F2P beta so that the PS3 players can get a more complete experience when the game arrives for them.
____________________________
PvR fun!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-KYqooGHd2g

[ffxivsig]1791330[/ffxivsig]


#16 Jan 02 2011 at 7:13 AM Rating: Excellent
**
863 posts
thehellfire wrote:
I know I will be.

Edited, Jan 2nd 2011 4:57am by thehellfire


Firstly, I doubt that will happen, but I guess you never know. Secondly, why would you automatically quit, just because SOE messed it all up you will quit before even trying the new version of XIV?

I understand that/why you don't want a complete overhaul, but I don't really get the logic.


Edited, Jan 2nd 2011 8:13am by Belcrono
#17Frito3434, Posted: Jan 02 2011 at 7:15 AM, Rating: Sub-Default, (Expand Post) i am quiting no madder what they do this is becoming nothing mor ethan a huge waste of time. no one knows what is going to happen with the game, just about every aspect of the game as of right now is srewed up, and the only place this game has any population to speak of is this dumb *** forum. not that anyone cares but have fun wasting your time with a fail game this is the last time im logging into the game or these forums. there are many other game scoming out that will acually be fun, maybe not compared to ffxi like i was hoping this would be but that dream has passed so goodbye all and hope you all find a better game and let SE eat there own crap and learn a lesson.
#18 Jan 02 2011 at 8:00 AM Rating: Good
Avatar
***
1,609 posts
Well that depends.

If the change the party or solo method to where you haved to party, then my husband and I will quit. We honestly just don't have the time to do partying. He and I are quite content with slow soloing. However I know many people do want the option to have to group up, which is cool. SE maybe should implement both playing styles a littl better than they have. They need to spruce it up a bit maybe. As long as my husband and I can still solo/duo, I'm cool.
____________________________
[ffxivsig]850684[/ffxivsig]

"I've never watched a nuclear explosion myself. That's a couple of degrees of stupid above my limit"- Old Man Harris
#19 Jan 02 2011 at 9:32 AM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
*****
12,763 posts
If they go NGE I expect it to be FFXI styled with certain things despite the new director not playing, many of the other devs and project leads have (komoto especially since a lot of events was his conception with the guy who's doing abyssea now). So I wouldn't quit, only if it turns into a generic mess like most MMOs these days.
____________________________

#20 Jan 02 2011 at 9:45 AM Rating: Good
***
1,049 posts
Honestly, if it means that the development team can get their creative juices flowing and create something new and great, I welcome a lot of change in spite of the fact that I've already done a lot. I am still iffy on the final question because I am worried about a WOW clone and all that jazz. But if it still feels unique at the end of the day, and I can solo/duo to level if I need, and the game has a lot of quests/missions, I'm good.
#21 Jan 02 2011 at 9:45 AM Rating: Decent
14 posts
I think this thread is kinda pointless. A lot of work has gone into the current system, all they'll be doing is trying to improve on it, not scrap it and go standard. If they wanted to do that, we'd have an auction house already. In fact it's people who are crying and ********* trying to get it more like WoW! Everyone should just stop worrying so much and just play the game, after all it's just a game.

And to whoever said there's something wrong with you if you've been enjoying this game, go trip and fall or something. We're all different, and personally this game is exactly what I've been waiting for. It's had it's bugs, but I'm still choosing to play it, so that obviously speaks to the content and potential. People will come and go, but that's just how things work. The more time spent worrying, the more negativity gets spread around, when you'd have much more fun just playing.
____________________________

[ffxivsig]1821028[/ffxivsig]
#22 Jan 02 2011 at 10:06 AM Rating: Good
**
429 posts
No, it'll bring me back. 2011 is a huge year for important gaming releases, FFXIV need to pull off something amazing if it wants to stay afloat.
#23 Jan 02 2011 at 10:16 AM Rating: Decent
5 posts
Tiger228 wrote:
It depends on where they go with it, but for the record, I voted that they not make any drastic overhauling changes. If they turn the game into a clone of anything other than FFXI, I'll definitely quit... I don't play other mmo's because I don't like them, so why would I like a clone of them?

I like SE's style, and I like the foundation they have in place for this game... It just needs loads and loads of content on top of that foundation. That's the only real issue I have with the game right now, it's just flat out incomplete, no way around it... That and I wish they would stifle the solo xp a lot, because if I wanted a solo game, I'd play a solo game... MMO's should be team experiences, especially around leveling. Crafting, some farming, and maybe a few lowly, hardly worth your time or very limited leves are the only things that should be solo focused.

Also, OP, your sig is ridiculous... SE is a console game company, that's where their fanbase has been and mostly still is. I'm only on the PC version because the PS3 version didn't co-launch, and I wouldn't be if they didn't support gamepads like certain other mmo's. The whole PC game at this point is basically a purchased F2P beta so that the PS3 players can get a more complete experience when the game arrives for them.


Exactly this, at least there is one other person still playing MMO's who is not a complete sheep for the crap this industry puts out these days.
#24 Jan 02 2011 at 10:17 AM Rating: Decent
*
106 posts
I have voted yes pretty much for a complete change because there are many things aren't really working. I want radical changes such as Auto attack for example, gear swaps during battle, normal and reverse auction house.

Small modifications such as mini quests for earning animas, crafting levequest rank appropriate to the players...etc. And many many more.

I think the armoury system is flawed and incomplete. SE should over haul it.







____________________________

[ffxivsig]409483[/ffxivsig]
#25 Jan 02 2011 at 10:18 AM Rating: Default
*
55 posts
I will leave this game and stop paying attention to it SOON if I DON'T see a "NGE"
#26 Jan 02 2011 at 10:24 AM Rating: Default
*
55 posts
UltKnightGrover wrote:


Square-Enix may have screwed up with the launch, but not bad enough for it to warrant a whole starting over.

Edited, Jan 2nd 2011 3:06am by UltKnightGrover



That's where you are wrong... they DID ***** up bad enough for it to warrant a whole starting over...
#27 Jan 02 2011 at 11:52 AM Rating: Good
***
1,636 posts
I voted yes for that. Personally I'd likely be quitting if they don't. Actually I think the decision would be made for me, because I think it'll go under if they don't.

I actually think there is a problem in that far too many really good MMOs are coming out in 2011, all fighting for the same customer base, and probably a few of the good ones are going to go under. FFXIV doesn't even look close to any of them right now. I think what we're seeing is evidence that they cannot survive with the current subscription numbers, and they aren't confident enough that they'll sell enough PS3 copies in japan to make the difference.
____________________________

[ffxivsig]971172[/ffxivsig]
#28 Jan 02 2011 at 11:53 AM Rating: Good
*****
11,539 posts
For me, it would depend on where they went with it. It if turned it into FFXI-2, I'd more than likely keep playing. If it turned into a world PvP gankfest, I'd definitely quit.

That was my big gripe with that last question; the whole "sweeping changes that drastically alter the world as you know it" thing is very unspecific. As an example, Fallout 3/NV and Morrowind/Oblivion are drastically different games and I like both. FF12 and FF13 are drastically different games and I love the former and hate the latter. I've been watching my fiancee play Cataclysm and aside from the maps being totally redone, which is pretty cool, everything I'm seeing and hearing about it from her reinforces my decision to not go back to WoW because of how easysauce it has gotten.

So I'd have to -see- the changes they're planning to implement in action before I could decide whether I would quit.
____________________________
[ffxisig]55836[/ffxisig]

Mikhalia: and FWIW, my posts are 95% helpful, informative, or funny.
Mikhalia: only 5% or less of my posts are utter crap.
Tyapex: 393 posts of utter crap...
Mikhalia: Sounds about right.
#29 Jan 02 2011 at 11:57 AM Rating: Good
**
568 posts
If they put any more of that Neon Genesis Evangelion in my XIV I'm OUT!

Seriously though: no, just more likely to be playing more to see what's in store.

Unless it's mechs of course.


#30 Jan 02 2011 at 12:01 PM Rating: Excellent
Scholar
***
1,497 posts
Mikhalia the Picky wrote:
For me, it would depend on where they went with it. It if turned it into FFXI-2, I'd more than likely keep playing. If it turned into a world PvP gankfest, I'd definitely quit.

That was my big gripe with that last question; the whole "sweeping changes that drastically alter the world as you know it" thing is very unspecific. As an example, Fallout 3/NV and Morrowind/Oblivion are drastically different games and I like both. FF12 and FF13 are drastically different games and I love the former and hate the latter. I've been watching my fiancee play Cataclysm and aside from the maps being totally redone, which is pretty cool, everything I'm seeing and hearing about it from her reinforces my decision to not go back to WoW because of how easysauce it has gotten.

So I'd have to -see- the changes they're planning to implement in action before I could decide whether I would quit.


This idea of massive changes is why I changed my vote from "More content" to "Tell us what the **** you are going to do". I'd really like to know and it'd be smart to test the waters with ideas.
#31 Jan 02 2011 at 12:03 PM Rating: Good
***
1,636 posts
Mikhalia the Picky wrote:
For me, it would depend on where they went with it. It if turned it into FFXI-2, I'd more than likely keep playing. If it turned into a world PvP gankfest, I'd definitely quit.

That was my big gripe with that last question; the whole "sweeping changes that drastically alter the world as you know it" thing is very unspecific. As an example, Fallout 3/NV and Morrowind/Oblivion are drastically different games and I like both. FF12 and FF13 are drastically different games and I love the former and hate the latter. I've been watching my fiancee play Cataclysm and aside from the maps being totally redone, which is pretty cool, everything I'm seeing and hearing about it from her reinforces my decision to not go back to WoW because of how easysauce it has gotten.

So I'd have to -see- the changes they're planning to implement in action before I could decide whether I would quit.


I think that question was just there to see just how many people are happy with adjustments, and how many need changes.
____________________________

[ffxivsig]971172[/ffxivsig]
#32 Jan 02 2011 at 12:35 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
***
1,842 posts
Mikhalia the Picky wrote:
For me, it would depend on where they went with it. It if turned it into FFXI-2, I'd more than likely keep playing. If it turned into a world PvP gankfest, I'd definitely quit.

That was my big gripe with that last question; the whole "sweeping changes that drastically alter the world as you know it" thing is very unspecific. As an example, Fallout 3/NV and Morrowind/Oblivion are drastically different games and I like both. FF12 and FF13 are drastically different games and I love the former and hate the latter. I've been watching my fiancee play Cataclysm and aside from the maps being totally redone, which is pretty cool, everything I'm seeing and hearing about it from her reinforces my decision to not go back to WoW because of how easysauce it has gotten.

So I'd have to -see- the changes they're planning to implement in action before I could decide whether I would quit.

Well I think this "easy sauce" is the direction MMOs are heading toward now. You solo through most of the game play while grouping is reserved for dungeons, raids, and pvp. Look at all the upcoming titles. They are all solo friendly. This is where the industry is heading. The key is first to defining what is casual and second, finding the right balance between solo and grouping.



Edited, Jan 2nd 2011 11:36am by dyvidd
____________________________
FFXIV Dyvid (Awaiting 2.0)
FFXI Dyvid ~ Pandemonium (Retired)
SWTOR Dy'vid Legacy - Canderous Ordo
#33 Jan 02 2011 at 12:44 PM Rating: Good
**
429 posts
I'm still not sure where people got the idea that things that take a long time to complete are difficult things. Leveling in FFXI was pretty easy and laid back, it just took a long time. Most of Sky, Dynamis, BCNM, some world spawns, and virtually everything that was considered "entry level endgame" in FFXI was also easy. Difficult and quick are not mutually exclusive concepts guys.

Edited, Jan 2nd 2011 1:45pm by Wolfums
#34 Jan 02 2011 at 12:46 PM Rating: Good
*****
11,539 posts
dyvidd wrote:
Mikhalia the Picky wrote:
For me, it would depend on where they went with it. It if turned it into FFXI-2, I'd more than likely keep playing. If it turned into a world PvP gankfest, I'd definitely quit.

That was my big gripe with that last question; the whole "sweeping changes that drastically alter the world as you know it" thing is very unspecific. As an example, Fallout 3/NV and Morrowind/Oblivion are drastically different games and I like both. FF12 and FF13 are drastically different games and I love the former and hate the latter. I've been watching my fiancee play Cataclysm and aside from the maps being totally redone, which is pretty cool, everything I'm seeing and hearing about it from her reinforces my decision to not go back to WoW because of how easysauce it has gotten.

So I'd have to -see- the changes they're planning to implement in action before I could decide whether I would quit.

Well I think this "easy sauce" is the direction MMOs are heading toward now. You solo through most of the game play while grouping is reserved for dungeons, raids, and pvp. Look at all the upcoming titles. They are all solo friendly. This is where the industry is heading. The key is first to defining what is casual and second, finding the right balance between solo and grouping.


Yeah, I don't much care for it. If I want to play a single-player game, I'm going to play a single player game. Where's the market for people that actually want to play an online game with OTHER PEOPLE?

I mean, how well would Halo do if 95% of online play was bot matches that you had to fight yourself through and only get to play with other real people once in a while?

I really, really don't get the logic of people that want a game that is inherently a multiplayer game and don't want to play with other people. Might as well go to Vegas/Atlantic City without any money and ask if you can just play for chips; you're defeating the point.
____________________________
[ffxisig]55836[/ffxisig]

Mikhalia: and FWIW, my posts are 95% helpful, informative, or funny.
Mikhalia: only 5% or less of my posts are utter crap.
Tyapex: 393 posts of utter crap...
Mikhalia: Sounds about right.
#35 Jan 02 2011 at 12:47 PM Rating: Good
**
435 posts
The game works. The armory system works. The retainer system and market wards work.

Now it just needs CONTENT...
____________________________

[ffxivsig]1809919[/ffxivsig]
#36 Jan 02 2011 at 12:50 PM Rating: Excellent
**
429 posts
Mikhalia the Picky wrote:
Yeah, I don't much care for it. If I want to play a single-player game, I'm going to play a single player game. Where's the market for people that actually want to play an online game with OTHER PEOPLE?

I mean, how well would Halo do if 95% of online play was bot matches that you had to fight yourself through and only get to play with other real people once in a while?

I really, really don't get the logic of people that want a game that is inherently a multiplayer game and don't want to play with other people. Might as well go to Vegas/Atlantic City without any money and ask if you can just play for chips; you're defeating the point.


With the redone leveling experience in Cataclysm, you can level your way to the cap by running dungeons only if you wanted to.

A good MMO has options for both people who want to solo or don't have time for groups, and people who want groups. FFXIV is doing fairly well in that regard I think.
#37 Jan 02 2011 at 12:52 PM Rating: Excellent
***
1,636 posts
dyvidd wrote:
Mikhalia the Picky wrote:
For me, it would depend on where they went with it. It if turned it into FFXI-2, I'd more than likely keep playing. If it turned into a world PvP gankfest, I'd definitely quit.

That was my big gripe with that last question; the whole "sweeping changes that drastically alter the world as you know it" thing is very unspecific. As an example, Fallout 3/NV and Morrowind/Oblivion are drastically different games and I like both. FF12 and FF13 are drastically different games and I love the former and hate the latter. I've been watching my fiancee play Cataclysm and aside from the maps being totally redone, which is pretty cool, everything I'm seeing and hearing about it from her reinforces my decision to not go back to WoW because of how easysauce it has gotten.

So I'd have to -see- the changes they're planning to implement in action before I could decide whether I would quit.

Well I think this "easy sauce" is the direction MMOs are heading toward now. You solo through most of the game play while grouping is reserved for dungeons, raids, and pvp. Look at all the upcoming titles. They are all solo friendly. This is where the industry is heading. The key is first to defining what is casual and second, finding the right balance between solo and grouping.

Edited, Jan 2nd 2011 11:36am by dyvidd


I agree that the MMO world is going in that direction. Now that its a 20 million playerbase rather than 2, and the money from those 18 million people is because they can do more solo.

However, I don't consider it easy, I think its more streamlined. Its less bloated, and doesn't stall as much. How many people hated having to be LFG for parties. How many people got upset with poor parties. People like being more in control of their own game experience. I think people tended to look back at their awesome group leveling experiences with rose colored lenses, and forget about all the bad that a system like that brings.
____________________________

[ffxivsig]971172[/ffxivsig]
#38 Jan 02 2011 at 12:56 PM Rating: Excellent
**
429 posts
KujaKoF wrote:
I agree that the MMO world is going in that direction. Now that its a 20 million playerbase rather than 2, and the money from those 18 million people is because they can do more solo.

However, I don't consider it easy, I think its more streamlined. Its less bloated, and doesn't stall as much. How many people hated having to be LFG for parties. How many people got upset with poor parties. People like being more in control of their own game experience. I think people tended to look back at their awesome group leveling experiences with rose colored lenses, and forget about all the bad that a system like that brings.


I can't tell you how many times I pulled the plug during FFXI leveling parties on my WHM. It was frustrating to the extreme when you had one or two bad players in your group and you ended up with 1-2k experience per hour. When you had parties like that, it was more fun to NOT play FFXI than to sit through those horrors.
#39 Jan 02 2011 at 1:05 PM Rating: Decent
36 posts
there is no sense of accomplishment in ffxiv at all... no where near the same community driven gameplay, and restrictions on leveling up...

... To claim this game only needs an AH, is like beeing trapped on a deserted island asking for nothing but a coat hanger...
#40 Jan 02 2011 at 1:09 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
*
225 posts
I am having trouble understanding what everyone means by, "WOW-clone." What exactly are you afraid of and what does that entitle? It is the UI interface? Maybe the easy-mode that everyone makes it out to be? I am really not getting the entire argument of "WOW-clone" to begin with. Could someone define "WOW-clone" for me to be able to understand this topic a bit more.
#41 Jan 02 2011 at 1:14 PM Rating: Good
**
429 posts
Aristio wrote:
I am having trouble understanding what everyone means by, "WOW-clone." What exactly are you afraid of and what does that entitle? It is the UI interface? Maybe the easy-mode that everyone makes it out to be? I am really not getting the entire argument of "WOW-clone" to begin with. Could someone define "WOW-clone" for me to be able to understand this topic a bit more.


I think by WOW clone, most people think a game that has a WOW-esque leveling system:

- You can get to the cap solo
- You pick up a dozen kill tasks style quests, go do them, and then turn them in to the NPC
- Quests and levelup mobs are extremely simple and easy

... except those describe what WOW was like 3-5 years ago, so I guess not even WOW is a WOW-clone anymore.
#42 Jan 02 2011 at 1:21 PM Rating: Decent
36 posts
I think those 3 criteria pretty much describes FFXIV as it is today... what with the soloability and guildleves... sorry loldleaves...

I wouldnt really mind if they rolled back to the FFXI way.. where quests gave fame, items and access to new places, (and gil to some extent).

And leveling up was soley taken care of on side. Outside of time limits, and fatigue restrictions.

Call me conservative, but if it aint broken, dont fix it... (risking a ********* of flame for this because i know some people liked the wow way of exp thru quests than the FFXI way of community comming together. But i stand by my opinion in this case.)
#43 Jan 02 2011 at 1:32 PM Rating: Decent
****
9,526 posts
If they change the job system I will quit. If any of my progress is lost, I will quit. I wouldn't mind changes other than that - but hands off my classes. This is the ONLY mmo I know of that lets you swap so many abilities between jobs. That is the sole reason I am playing this game - because I like the fact that I can level horizontally.
____________________________
lolgaxe wrote:
When it comes to sitting around not doing anything for long periods of time, only being active for short windows, and marginal changes and sidegrades I'd say FFXI players were the perfect choice for politicians.


#44 Jan 02 2011 at 1:36 PM Rating: Good
*****
11,539 posts
Wolfums wrote:
Aristio wrote:
I am having trouble understanding what everyone means by, "WOW-clone." What exactly are you afraid of and what does that entitle? It is the UI interface? Maybe the easy-mode that everyone makes it out to be? I am really not getting the entire argument of "WOW-clone" to begin with. Could someone define "WOW-clone" for me to be able to understand this topic a bit more.


I think by WOW clone, most people think a game that has a WOW-esque leveling system:

- You can get to the cap solo
- You pick up a dozen kill tasks style quests, go do them, and then turn them in to the NPC
- Quests and levelup mobs are extremely simple and easy

... except those describe what WOW was like 3-5 years ago, so I guess not even WOW is a WOW-clone anymore.


As I understand it, all three of those still apply to WoW. You can still get to the cap solo, leveling is still a dozen quests turned in for XP, and the quests and mobs are still simple and easy.

I really do not like the idea of being able to solo to level cap in a multiplayer online game. There are tons of single player games where you can solo to the level cap if you want to; I want to actually play a game that requires (or at least strongly, strongly encourages) me to group up in order to level and in order to overcome obstacles. I have shelves upon shelves of NES, SNES, N64, Playstation, PS2, 360, and PC games that I can play whenever I want, however I want, without worrying about anyone else...

I -want- a game where I -have- to group up with other people to fight things. Not even FFXI is that anymore.

So the question was asked:

"What exactly are you afraid of and what does that entitle?" regarding not wanting "A WoW clone". Here's what I -don't- want in an MMORPG:

- I don't want a game where someone can solo to cap.
- I don't want a "WoW-style" UI.
- I don't want a game where quests (or guildleves) are the PRIMARY form and focus of leveling.
- I don't want a game where PvP is a significant portion of game content, or where it is -ever- mandatory to do PvP.

I totally understand that the response to this post is probably going to be people saying that I'm not going to get that. And I understand that I'm probably not. But that's what I would want.

I get that some people want to be able to play an online game all by themselves; I think it's silly and that there are plenty of SINGLE PLAYER games that accommodate that, but I admit that there is a market for such a game. What I don't care for is that it seems like EVERY MMORPG is going down that path. Where is the multiplayer game for people that WANT to play a multiplayer game? Not where multiplayer is an option and single player is also an option, but the game where multiplayer is the ONLY option (since it is, after all, a multiplayer game).

I find myself in a position where absolutely no MMORPG on the market that I'm aware of currently offers me the experience I want. FFXI -used to- but even FFXI doesn't offer it anymore.
____________________________
[ffxisig]55836[/ffxisig]

Mikhalia: and FWIW, my posts are 95% helpful, informative, or funny.
Mikhalia: only 5% or less of my posts are utter crap.
Tyapex: 393 posts of utter crap...
Mikhalia: Sounds about right.
#45 Jan 02 2011 at 1:37 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
691 posts
OniElvaan the Eccentric wrote:
Giant organic robots fighting extra terrestrial beings named after god's messengers, religious references/mysticism galore, ultra intelligent waterfowl, more fan service, a full length movie with an ending more of a mind@#%^ than the original show's.


Seems to me that this might actually help the game.

OniElvaan the Eccentric wrote:
P.P.S. I hate my cat so ******* much right now, not because she decided to have her kittens at 5am in my bed, that happens. No I hate her because she decided to have her kittens at 5am in my bed on my chest... Waking up to the feeling of afterbirth sucks *** and requiring me to do my bedding this fine morning. What makes it even worse is the rest of my furniture hasn't been delivered, meaning I have nowhere to sleep to everything has been washed.


Wow. Just...wow...
Your cat, she pwned you. I doubt you will ever experience anything worse in your entire life.
#46 Jan 02 2011 at 1:40 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
991 posts
Olorinus the Vile wrote:
If they change the job system I will quit. If any of my progress is lost, I will quit. I wouldn't mind changes other than that - but hands off my classes. This is the ONLY mmo I know of that lets you swap so many abilities between jobs. That is the sole reason I am playing this game - because I like the fact that I can level horizontally.


i somehow dont think your concerns will be something to worry about there
they wont change the class system itself if they go this route, if anything i foresee them changing minor mechanics, that in turn make it feel like a diffrent playstyle, undoing the class system itself would really be a whole revamp of the game and thats not what that question was saying in my mind

it was stating that there would be major changes, not a complete overhaul. such things as the combat system i can see being changed up, but not to the point where each class doesnt do what it does now, the combat would just feel different and such.
things such as that, where they use what exists, but changes it up, is what i can foresee happening
____________________________

[ffxivsig]445254[/ffxivsig]
#47 Jan 02 2011 at 1:42 PM Rating: Excellent
*****
11,539 posts
Uryuu wrote:
OniElvaan the Eccentric wrote:
P.P.S. I hate my cat so ******* much right now, not because she decided to have her kittens at 5am in my bed, that happens. No I hate her because she decided to have her kittens at 5am in my bed on my chest... Waking up to the feeling of afterbirth sucks *** and requiring me to do my bedding this fine morning. What makes it even worse is the rest of my furniture hasn't been delivered, meaning I have nowhere to sleep to everything has been washed.


Wow. Just...wow...
Your cat, she pwned you. I doubt you will ever experience anything worse in your entire life.


I missed this gem the first time... Wow. That's... wow. There are no words.
____________________________
[ffxisig]55836[/ffxisig]

Mikhalia: and FWIW, my posts are 95% helpful, informative, or funny.
Mikhalia: only 5% or less of my posts are utter crap.
Tyapex: 393 posts of utter crap...
Mikhalia: Sounds about right.
#48 Jan 02 2011 at 1:45 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
***
1,842 posts
FFXIV is a diamond in the rough. His has alot of gooed qualities but needs to be "rebuild, rebooted".

Rebuild means tearing down and restarting. Take zone for example. The graphics make them look great, but the copy & paste makes them look horrible. This is were rebuild comes into play. The can change/add enviroment within the zone to make it stand out. How about swamp and open forest in Black Shroud. Or how about desert and savannah in Thanalan?

Reboot means a few changes to make it run smooth. Take combat. I think alot of people have said they would like to be able to select/stack actions in a row instead waiting for the first action to clear. That way you can select light attack > heavy attack > WS and have them execute when it's their time.
____________________________
FFXIV Dyvid (Awaiting 2.0)
FFXI Dyvid ~ Pandemonium (Retired)
SWTOR Dy'vid Legacy - Canderous Ordo
#49 Jan 02 2011 at 1:49 PM Rating: Default
Scholar
*
225 posts
A simple solution to the argument that quest should be giving experience points is to let them give experience points. They don't need to give skill points, but I don't think anyone would mind if they gave experience points, as physical level is not what everyone is after.

As for "Drastic changes to FFXIV," that the developers mentioned, I believe they wanted to reinvent a few things.

1) Two separate but equal UI. One that is solely made for Keyboard and Mouse, and one meant for Gamepad. Could even add in multiple options, like Modern Layout, Standard Layout, Classic Layout, Gamepad Layout. Modern would change the UI to look like WoW, Standard would be the new "Keyboard and Mouse" UI they have coming, Classic would resemble FFXI, and Gamepad would be the one we currently have in place.

2) Game zones. Entire zones are reinvented to bring differences to them. An example of this would be Thanalan. Western Thanalan could be a beach area since it's so close to the shore. Central thanalan could be a desert area. Western could be kept exactly the same. Northern Thanalan could be turned into mountain areas, and southern thanalan could be changed into a deep canyon area. Or take the Black Shroud. Bentbranch could be turn into a "Sanctuary of Zi'Tah," Crimson bark into a "Jugner Forrest," Emerald Moss could be a marsh/swamp type area, Tranquil into an open meadow with very little trees (Think Konschat Highlands), and Nine Eves be kepted the same.

3) Tons of side quest, mini-quest, and quest lines that adds story and history for Eorzea. Would be nice if they did full voice overs for these, but I'm not holding my breath.

4) Combat system. They will either speed up the fights to make them easier than before, or slow them down and add more skill points per kill. Normal EXP mobs will require a bit of strategy and even a battle regimen thrown in. Drastic changes could even add in an auto-attack just, and get rid of stamina all together.

5) Market Wards overhaul. They could either scrap the entire idea and give us an auction house (That links to every city), make our retainers our "Moogles" of FFXIV and reserve the market wards for our "Mog House." Or, they could add a lot of features to the Wards to simulate an auction house, such as a "Buy Now" option in the search function.

6) Experience Points. Scrap the idea and just make our stats scale with level (Class Level) like in FFXI.

Or I could be dreaming and they just add new faction leves. Who knows.

Edited, Jan 2nd 2011 2:54pm by Aristio

Edited, Jan 2nd 2011 2:57pm by Aristio
#50 Jan 02 2011 at 1:53 PM Rating: Good
*****
11,539 posts
I think FFXIV's UI is fine.

I think the graphics are fine, but that the world should be redone to offer more variety of zone types and less copypasta.

I still think it needs an AH eventually, but I think the current market ward system is fine while they fix other things first, and if all else was in alignment, could tolerate not having one.

I think the combat system is okay, although I'd like an autoattack option. I would prefer a slower paced combat system where fights take longer and reward more xp.

I would prefer it if grouping was more heavily emphasized and guildleves were de-emphasized where the game encouraged getting a party together of variable size (anywhere from 2-3 up to 10+ if you wanted to) and that regardless of your group size, you can kill monsters appropriately targeted and weighted towards your group to provide a challenge and a reasonable amount of xp in order to level up; where guildleves were redesigned in that there are "solo only" leves and "group only" leves, where there is some content for people who don't have time to group, but where grouping is still the preferred, significantly more efficient method of leveling up.

That's what I'd like, anyway.
____________________________
[ffxisig]55836[/ffxisig]

Mikhalia: and FWIW, my posts are 95% helpful, informative, or funny.
Mikhalia: only 5% or less of my posts are utter crap.
Tyapex: 393 posts of utter crap...
Mikhalia: Sounds about right.
#51 Jan 02 2011 at 1:56 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
*
225 posts
Mikhalia the Picky wrote:
I think FFXIV's UI is fine.

I think the graphics are fine, but that the world should be redone to offer more variety of zone types and less copypasta.

I still think it needs an AH eventually, but I think the current market ward system is fine while they fix other things first, and if all else was in alignment, could tolerate not having one.

I think the combat system is okay, although I'd like an autoattack option. I would prefer a slower paced combat system where fights take longer and reward more xp.

I would prefer it if grouping was more heavily emphasized and guildleves were de-emphasized where the game encouraged getting a party together of variable size (anywhere from 2-3 up to 10+ if you wanted to) and that regardless of your group size, you can kill monsters appropriately targeted and weighted towards your group to provide a challenge and a reasonable amount of xp in order to level up; where guildleves were redesigned in that there are "solo only" leves and "group only" leves, where there is some content for people who don't have time to group, but where grouping is still the preferred, significantly more efficient method of leveling up.

That's what I'd like, anyway.


I'm not saying the UI, combat, or anything is bad or wrong. I'm just guessing what they could change just by going on what they mean by, "Drastic."
« Previous 1 2 3 4
This forum is read only
This Forum is Read Only!
Recent Visitors: 29 All times are in CST
Anonymous Guests (29)