Currently, Behest seems like a major part of ranking up DoW/M classes. Though, it's limited to 15 players every hour. SE already has put in the ability to create instances in XIV. Evident early on in the beginning quests.
What I've been pondering is, what if they alter Behest so that a pre-formed party could approach a battlewarden, much like players do now to initiate Behest, only said warden would always be stationed at the camp. The party leader could choose a difficulty level much like leves and then the party is sent into an instance to battle the required monster.
My working concept would be to have the monsters spawn for 30 minutes to an hour and/or a certain number of mobs as to not break a certain SP per hour limit. That way folks could either disband or start over without penalty once the session ends. If the session is set to end in 30 minutes, then the cool down would be 30 minutes also. Thus encouraging players to play at their given skill level and to not breeze through in easy mode. That way they can aim to finish close to the 30 minute mark and not have to wait long to enter again.
I believe this would solve several issues about both Behest and party play incentives.
1) While Behest is "open to all," you have to be swift in obtaining your flag. Otherwise you're waiting an hour for another chance. This will allow players to party on their own schedule.
2) It eliminates the need for open-world camps. Obviously the world needs to be populated with critters. But these can be left for farming and soloing. Giving those seeking specific items or to top off those last few thousand SP the open world to tackle at will.
3) It will avoid the "bad apple ruins the bunch" feel. Behest is fun, but all it takes is one goon to run off in the opposite direction and claim mobs first to ruin 14 other people's good time. With a group of people you know, there's less of a chance you'll come across a person who doesn't quite grasp the concept of "only attack the red mob."
4) This can cater to casual and hardcore players alike. Being that you can enter with a predetermined group of your choosing, the ability to choose your difficulty would allow players to play to their style. One star would be ideal for a handful of friends who just want something quick and easy but would give minimal SP and XP returns. Five stars would be for the hardest of the hard -- a gauntlet requiring focus, strategy and communication -- giving the maximum SP and XP.
5) No waiting at the bottlenecks. Given that Behest is the ideal way to level (while sprinkling in ways to occupy oneself in between sessions), there eventually will be a bottleneck of players vs open spots. This already is evident at the rank 20 camps like Horizon in Thanalan where entrance is a matter of lag from players camping the warden spawn. Given the steep incline of SP per rank 31+, the opportunity to have Behest at will in an instance will alleviate the bottle necking even open world camps suffer from at higher levels.
Some possible downsides could be:
1) Disconnects would likely mean not being able to participate till the current run ends if a DC tosses the character from the instance.
2) An automated feel. I know there is a sense of wonder in discovering a camp in the open that just works. You and your new-found friends enjoy glorious hours of grinding and everyone has a good time. But how long until it's just another camp and its added to the list of "where to grind" posts on every forum?
Right now I'm just brainstorming. But I wanted to gauge public interest. If you all seem to think it's a good idea, I'll put something together for the feedback forums in hopes that SE happens to read it. Just wanted to make sure I'm not loosing my mind waiting for the next warden spawn here.
tl;dr: Behest should be instanced for 30 minute to one-hour sessions as a way for parties to gain SP at will.
Would you support the above behest changes?
|Yes. :||48 (71.6%)|
|No. :||19 (28.4%)|