Forum Settings
       
« Previous 1 2
This Forum is Read Only

If the wards aren't working out, why are they always full?Follow

#1 Jan 03 2011 at 12:07 AM Rating: Good
**
435 posts
I see a good number of people who want to see an auction house added to the game. I disagree with this.

Like the title says, if the market ward system truly wasn't working out, why is it so full all of the time?

Remember back before the search function and the ordering of wards into separate categories? Yeah, the wards were mostly empty and people did the majority of their selling on their personal bazaars. It's because the wards were awful and didn't serve the function they were intended to serve.

Now, the wards work properly: items can be found by category and searched for within the ward. It's a simple matter to find the item you're looking for (it'd be nice to be able to search globally and see where items are, but it's not a deal-breaker).

My experiences with AHs in MMOs are very often negative. You put an item up and a minute later, someone undercuts you and the item doesn't sell unless you then undercut them, losing your listing fee in the process. In addition, the retainer system is what allows us to place items for repair overnight without leaving your computer on the entire time so your character can sit in a busy area.

I've been having FANTASTIC success with the market ward system. It doesn't matter what I'm selling: cloth and fiber, jewelry, tradecrafting tools, etc. I put one of my retainers in the appropriate ward and that stuff SELLS.

Again, look at how full the wards are right now. The system IS working, and I frankly think ditching it for an AH that invites RMT to move right in and run the economy is a terrible idea.
____________________________

#2 Jan 03 2011 at 1:27 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
*
104 posts
At first, I thought the market ward system was a neat idea, but I was so certain of the fact that an AH was to be added, that I didn't really bother with it. But like you said, now that there's a search function, I really see no need for an AH. I've had no problem at all finding what I've been looking for, and have even stumbled upon some great deals -- something that never would happen with an AH. I've also had no problems selling anything, as long as my prices weren't ridiculous.

All in all, I agree with everything the OP said.
____________________________
FFXI - Shadowedge - Valefor | FFXIV - Shadow Edge - Hyperion
WHM / THF / NIN WHM / MNK / PLD

#3 Jan 03 2011 at 1:38 AM Rating: Good
35 posts
The wards are working out *reasonably* well at this point, but for two things.

They crash too much, and having to babysit your retainers trying to get things sold, especially if you have to burn anima to move between two different cities is a huge PITA.

The problem of selling stuff in the "right ward" still sucks ***. I have feathers, metals, gear, raw food items all stuck on the same retainer (in just one city), and I have to choose which of those is the most important to sell and/or which ward to be in to save me the most taxes, and I'm screwed on the rest of the items because people have to play hide-and-seek to even find my **** if searching for it in that city.

People cry and ***** about retainers not being in the right ward and buhuhu. Well, if you do a lot of different stuff, it's **** near impossible to have your retainer in the right ward. Give me unlimited anima, 30-60 retainers and we can talk. (if you think having every ward in every city as full as Ul'dah's Battlecraft ward while searching for a certain item would be fun.)

Pull your head out of your ***. We need an AH so that every orange, lemon, feather, metal square, fent, ore, and all the other stupid **** people need to craft, repair, or perform every other **** function in this game other than killing mobs while their gear is still intact can get on with business.

We need an Auction House for COMMODITIES
#4 Jan 03 2011 at 1:51 AM Rating: Decent
*
93 posts
I find it odd that my retainer can hold 100 items but can only sell 7(way less if you need gear repaired)items at a time this is stupid and IMO the main reason for people placeing their retainers in the most popular(usually first one on the list) ward
#5 Jan 03 2011 at 1:52 AM Rating: Good
**
451 posts
The wards are working out atm because they have to, there's no other choice. Put an AH in the game and we will see how active the wards are after about an hour.
#6 Jan 03 2011 at 2:00 AM Rating: Excellent
*****
11,539 posts
KristoFurwalken wrote:
The wards are working out atm because they have to, there's no other choice. Put an AH in the game and we will see how active the wards are after about an hour.


This. Currently, the market wards are more efficient than bazaars, so that is what people will use. If an AH is implemented and it is more efficient than the market wards, then people will use that instead. People are usually going to use whatever method sells their stuff the fastest.
____________________________
[ffxisig]55836[/ffxisig]

Mikhalia: and FWIW, my posts are 95% helpful, informative, or funny.
Mikhalia: only 5% or less of my posts are utter crap.
Tyapex: 393 posts of utter crap...
Mikhalia: Sounds about right.
#7 Jan 03 2011 at 2:01 AM Rating: Default
*
214 posts
I agree an AH would be convenient, but it would also be more convenient for RMTs.

I'm satisfied with the wards as they are now.
____________________________

#8 Jan 03 2011 at 2:05 AM Rating: Decent
*
93 posts
Also I believe that if I have to sell items to npc vendors just to get rid of excess items cause of a lack of a effective or efficient way to sell it the current system is flawed. Now would a auction house fix this? not really as seeing the only limit in selling items is the max you can place up for sale. If they increase this I think the market wards would work fine.
#9 Jan 03 2011 at 8:55 AM Rating: Excellent
Sage
**
534 posts
ShockTopMagic wrote:
I agree an AH would be convenient, but it would also be more convenient for RMTs.

I'm satisfied with the wards as they are now.


The RMT argument has to go...and importance of a healthy player base has to be more important. Worry about RMT when/if the game survives. Put in both option and see what the player base chooses to use. I think we all know that answer.

Edited, Jan 3rd 2011 9:57am by Simool
____________________________
Amos Fin - Ultros

#10 Jan 03 2011 at 9:06 AM Rating: Excellent
*
241 posts
I don't see how the market system deters gil sellers any more than an auction house.

The wards serve some of the functionality of the auction house, with features absent at the expense of the player. Having to physically walk through the wards, waiting for everything to load, and buy the item from the person with a star above their head, when you could just navigate a list.

The only way I see this idea having potential is if and when they introduce the linkshell houses, where you could sort of setup your retainers their, like shop keeps.

Otherwise I don't see what this current system offers over a functional auction house.
____________________________
There once was a tiger striped cat. This cat died a million deaths and was reborn a million times and was owned by various people who he didn't care for. The cat wasn't afraid to die... One day, the cat was a free cat, a stray cat. He met a white female cat, and the two cats spent their days happily together. Years passed, and the white cat died of old age. The tiger striped cat cried a million times, and then died. It never
came back to life.
#11 Jan 03 2011 at 9:11 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
346 posts
It appears to me, all the people that I've spoken with in game who don't want an AH are the very ones raking in the cash by over charging people who are unable to search multiple wards in multiple cities to see if they are getting raped or being charged fairly by the sellers >.<

I'm still on the fence about the AH, The wards would work better with a Global Search only if you could walk up to them and search for items by category and the search result would show you what ward they were in and not restrict you to the one ward they are not in. Item price history is not necessary.

The biggest problem with the wards is that you still have to travel to each city and search each ward individually, it's a huge time sink.
____________________________


#12 Jan 03 2011 at 9:14 AM Rating: Default
Scholar
**
812 posts
Agreed, they just need to tweak the search to show what ward items are in that are not in the correct ward.
____________________________
Abaddon Active Player Roster
- All your Fabul Sever are belong to us! -


#13 Jan 03 2011 at 9:32 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
Avatar
***
1,449 posts
SWSeeker wrote:
It appears to me, all the people that I've spoken with in game who don't want an AH are the very ones raking in the cash by over charging people who are unable to search multiple wards in multiple cities to see if they are getting raped or being charged fairly by the sellers >.<

I'm still on the fence about the AH, The wards would work better with a Global Search only if you could walk up to them and search for items by category and the search result would show you what ward they were in and not restrict you to the one ward they are not in. Item price history is not necessary.

The biggest problem with the wards is that you still have to travel to each city and search each ward individually, it's a huge time sink.


Since tha latest update you are now able to look up all wards in 1 city at a touch of a button (ok, maybe 3 or 4).

If you're in a LS then it shouldn't be very hard to ask for help and get all 3 cities looked in to in a matter of minutes.
KurisimasDay wrote:

I have feathers, metals, gear, raw food items all stuck on the same retainer (in just one city), and I have to choose which of those is the most important to sell and/or which ward to be in to save me the most taxes, and I'm screwed on the rest of the items because people have to play hide-and-seek to even find my sh*t if searching for it in that city.


If you really expect to sell every drop to playing characters as oposed to NPCs then either you're deluding yourself, not have much MMO experience or just expect having some of your stull for sale for months on end....
____________________________


My FFXIV Blog



#14 Jan 03 2011 at 11:04 AM Rating: Decent
**
435 posts
Simool wrote:
The RMT argument has to go...and importance of a healthy player base has to be more important. Worry about RMT when/if the game survives. Put in both option and see what the player base chooses to use. I think we all know that answer.


RMT killed Aion, as far as I'm concerned. The RMT spam and constant botting literally choked out entire areas of the map, preventing real players from leveling. I know we're not facing that right now, but really, keeping RMT out is a top priority.

Players will put up with, GOD FORBID, having to walk to a retainer with a star over its head instead of navigating a list, but they're not going to put up with 5 tells an hour saying "Hello, would you like to buy some gil today?".
____________________________

#15 Jan 03 2011 at 11:06 AM Rating: Decent
**
435 posts
SWSeeker wrote:
It appears to me, all the people that I've spoken with in game who don't want an AH are the very ones raking in the cash by over charging people who are unable to search multiple wards in multiple cities to see if they are getting raped or being charged fairly by the sellers >.<

I'm still on the fence about the AH, The wards would work better with a Global Search only if you could walk up to them and search for items by category and the search result would show you what ward they were in and not restrict you to the one ward they are not in. Item price history is not necessary.

The biggest problem with the wards is that you still have to travel to each city and search each ward individually, it's a huge time sink.


I agree that a global search would be preferable, as would possibly a unified ward system where all three cities teleport you to the same wards.
____________________________

#16 Jan 03 2011 at 11:10 AM Rating: Excellent
***
1,636 posts
TheRealDestian wrote:
Simool wrote:
The RMT argument has to go...and importance of a healthy player base has to be more important. Worry about RMT when/if the game survives. Put in both option and see what the player base chooses to use. I think we all know that answer.


RMT killed Aion, as far as I'm concerned. The RMT spam and constant botting literally choked out entire areas of the map, preventing real players from leveling. I know we're not facing that right now, but really, keeping RMT out is a top priority.

Players will put up with, GOD FORBID, having to walk to a retainer with a star over its head instead of navigating a list, but they're not going to put up with 5 tells an hour saying "Hello, would you like to buy some gil today?".


Market wards aren't very good at preventing RMT actions. Its an inefficient system that hurts regular players just as much as RMT types, only because they have more time resources, they actually end up better than we do. The barriers involved in buying items are actually more exploitable than in an AH.

The problem wasn't the AH, or any of the systems, the problem is that people are working in shifts 24/7 to dominate a small economy. They will do so regardless of the system in place.
____________________________


#17 Jan 03 2011 at 11:27 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
812 posts
Simple question, does anyone see that RMT is gaining a foothold in the economy in FFXIV? Me either. Which leads me to believe that the anti-RMT countermeasures are indeed working. The wards being one of those countermeasures. I'm sure they still exist, but I haven't even seen a cave-bot (claim-bot) in ages.

Edited, Jan 3rd 2011 12:28pm by Jefro420
____________________________
Abaddon Active Player Roster
- All your Fabul Sever are belong to us! -


#18 Jan 03 2011 at 11:36 AM Rating: Good
Sage
**
534 posts
Without a demand for gil...which there is none...RMT will not be an issue. I have yet to hear RMT shouting to sell gil...not because they don't have the gil...but because at this time no one needs it. But...they are out there. I see bots every day. They are storing up in case the game takes off. AH or no AH...they will always be part of MMOs...like cockroaches.
____________________________
Amos Fin - Ultros

#19 Jan 03 2011 at 11:44 AM Rating: Excellent
Sage
Avatar
*
54 posts
Even if SE gives us a AH system it wont get rid of the need to travel to other cities. they would most likely give us a AH for each city rather then one global AH.
that being said I like the market ward system it has more personality then a window in a wall. but i would like to see more adjustments to the search function. perhaps a sine next to items that are for sale but none in the correct ward. if i knew one was available i would look threw the other wards in a city.
____________________________

FFXIV: Viilaa Stardancer of Palamecia
FFXI: Dlon of Sylph (RIP)
Rift: Lightofthemoon Guardian mage of Graybriar
Fallenstar Defiant cleric of Graybriar
#20 Jan 03 2011 at 11:47 AM Rating: Excellent
4 posts
8pm 1/2/11: Log on...have to set up retainers, because they vanished after setting them up on 12/31 then logging off for the night.

8:30pm: Run off and do some mining.

10:30pm: Check retainers. Log off to do some house work and sleep.

10am 1/3/11: Log on to find retainers gone. Re-Summon...0 gil made.





____________________________


#21 Jan 03 2011 at 11:48 AM Rating: Excellent
Scholar
44 posts
KujaKoF wrote:

The problem wasn't the AH, or any of the systems, the problem is that people are working in shifts 24/7 to dominate a small economy. They will do so regardless of the system in place.


To add to this, RMTs can also dominate the current ward system because they have the necessary time to devote to multiple retainers which makes selling much more expedient. Compare that with the average player who's forced to put "miswarded" items up for sale because [s]he's on 2 retainers.
#22 Jan 03 2011 at 11:49 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
812 posts
The sign you are talking about is a 0 next to the item name. It'd be better if the search window told us what ward those items are in though. We don't need prices on the search screen, but do need to know where to find the items.

IMO, with that single addition, I'd be completely satisfied w/ the wards. Don't even pretend to tell me that the higher taxes (the tax from selling in the wrong ward) cut into too much of your income, gil flows like water in this game.

When I can make hundreds of thousands of gil in one day selling nothing, that's right nothing, nobody can complain about a few gil tax. Just doing behests and leves keeps my pockets lined quite nicely.



Edited, Jan 3rd 2011 12:51pm by Jefro420
____________________________
Abaddon Active Player Roster
- All your Fabul Sever are belong to us! -


#23 Jan 03 2011 at 12:01 PM Rating: Excellent
**
692 posts
Would somebody mind explaining to me how exactly the wards make it harder for RMTs? Or harder to undercut? I've never seen an explanation of either of these claims that mad any sense to me.
____________________________
Kaishen
Galka of Bahamut
EndlessFriends Linkshell
[DNC90] [WAR90] [MNK90]
#24 Jan 03 2011 at 12:05 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
***
1,609 posts
Dear Op,

The wards are in use all the time because that is the fastest way to push items that this game has. However, it's a terrible system they have set up. The search makes it "user friendly".

My issue with the wards now is that multiple times a day, I have to check to see if my retainer is even still up. Granted, I make more gil doing leves, but that is only because I can't keep my retainers on for a 24 hr. period. This is highly eneffective.

True, I could just NPC everything I get/make...but then what is the point of me being a crafter? I want to be able to help all to the economy. I can't do that if I can't find items due to either people not making them, or maybe I can't find them because the one or two retainers that do have them, have been booted off an hour or so ago. That is not a way to facilitate a functioning economy.

The big issue many people had with the wards was that there was no search function...well now we have one, but now the constant crashing of the wards servers is making it just as bad as if there was no search function...not saying it IS as bad, I'm just saying it's almost as bad.

Most likely just implementing an AH would do just fine...however, no one wants that...fine...but many people such of myself are livid that we can't push our wares because SE is so **** bent on getting the wards to work.

So IMO, and I'm sure there are others that agree, it's not a good functioning way to facilitate the economy, especially to new players who are coming in.
____________________________


"I've never watched a nuclear explosion myself. That's a couple of degrees of stupid above my limit"- Old Man Harris
#25 Jan 03 2011 at 12:08 PM Rating: Decent
*
82 posts
Rankin657 wrote:
I find it odd that my retainer can hold 100 items but can only sell 7(way less if you need gear repaired)items at a time this is stupid and IMO the main reason for people placeing their retainers in the most popular(usually first one on the list) ward


There is actually a very good reason, from an economics standpoint, why there is a limit to the number of items which can be listed for sale at any given time. It prevents the market from being flooded with items, thereby driving their price into the ground. If you were able to sell all 100 at once, and five other people were also selling 100 of that item at the same time, that's 600 of an item for sale. The price for this item would be driven into the ground, and there would be no market for anyone else to sell this item for weeks or even months, depending on what the item is. As frustrating as it may seem sometimes when you're trying to unload a large number of items, believe me when I tell you that you want this restriction in place.
#26 Jan 03 2011 at 12:09 PM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
***
1,609 posts
KaishenRamuh wrote:
Would somebody mind explaining to me how exactly the wards make it harder for RMTs? Or harder to undercut? I've never seen an explanation of either of these claims that mad any sense to me.


It honestly doesn't. If anything RMT has a leg up on us because RMTing IS their job. Many of us play for a few hours a few days a week. RMT can play 24/7. They have the time to go to earch retainer and check prices and undercut everyone. Someone like me just doesn't have that time.

And if there is a valid arguement as to how this hurts them, I havn't seen it.
____________________________


"I've never watched a nuclear explosion myself. That's a couple of degrees of stupid above my limit"- Old Man Harris
#27 Jan 03 2011 at 12:10 PM Rating: Excellent
*
57 posts
quantum110 wrote:
8pm 1/2/11: Log on...have to set up retainers, because they vanished after setting them up on 12/31 then logging off for the night.

8:30pm: Run off and do some mining.

10:30pm: Check retainers. Log off to do some house work and sleep.

10am 1/3/11: Log on to find retainers gone. Re-Summon...0 gil made.








Exactly this almost everyday, twice a day^^
Plus if I sell different items over different crafts and put them in a specific ward they are unsearchable. They are working, barely, because it is the only way to sell stuff and not sit in town. An AH is needed, yes it is.
____________________________


#28 Jan 03 2011 at 12:12 PM Rating: Good
**
800 posts
KaishenRamuh wrote:
Would somebody mind explaining to me how exactly the wards make it harder for RMTs? Or harder to undercut? I've never seen an explanation of either of these claims that mad any sense to me.


As far as I can tell, the Wards are harder to exploit (RMT or not) because you don't have price information at your fingertips. To truly see what other people are selling an item for you have to walk to each retainer. I think the RMT argument is silly too because behind the claim bots RMT is still run by human beings. The only difference is they have nearly infinite time resources and so can work any system better than typical players. It's the economy itself rather than the mode of selling items that deters RMT. Like someone said, there's very little need for gil right now, so very little RMT demand. If gil becomes more valuable, then RMT will increase, regardless of Wards vs. AH. The only way to effectively get rid of RMT is to actively hunt and ban them. In-game "counter measures" affect players equally as RMT, but since RMT has unlimited time, they're actually effected less than typical players since they can just brute force their way through the "counter measures".

My only beef with the wards right now is how often they crash. I'm lucky to get a full 24 hours of retainer log-in. It's really frustrating logging in to see my retainers gone and nothing sold because I don't know if I'm asking for too much gil for my items or if my retainers crashed 10 minutes after I left. A central ward will be introduced with Isgard, they're already planning on improvements to the search function. And there's quite a lot of potential for additional features that AHs can't accommodate.
#29 Jan 03 2011 at 12:23 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
812 posts
KaishenRamuh wrote:
Would somebody mind explaining to me how exactly the wards make it harder for RMTs? Or harder to undercut? I've never seen an explanation of either of these claims that mad any sense to me.

Very simple, there is no price history or prices listed at the search counter. RMT then has to go to each retainer with a particular item individually to find out the lowest price then undercut that price. With an AH that works the way that XI did, that would mean the RMT items would sell before everyone else's items of the same type. As it stands now, if I want to buy the first of a particular item I come across even if it's not the lowest price I can (and do since gil flows like water.) This gives human players an advantage by allowing them to sell items at a price they think is reasonable. In XI items that were priced even 1 gil more than others sometimes would not sell for weeks.

Edited, Jan 3rd 2011 1:26pm by Jefro420
____________________________
Abaddon Active Player Roster
- All your Fabul Sever are belong to us! -


#30 Jan 03 2011 at 12:36 PM Rating: Excellent
***
1,636 posts
Jefro420 wrote:
KaishenRamuh wrote:
Would somebody mind explaining to me how exactly the wards make it harder for RMTs? Or harder to undercut? I've never seen an explanation of either of these claims that mad any sense to me.

Very simple, there is no price history or prices listed at the search counter. RMT then has to go to each retainer with a particular item individually to find out the lowest price then undercut that price. With an AH that works the way that XI did, that would mean the RMT items would sell before everyone else's items of the same type. As it stands now, if I want to buy the first of a particular item I come across even if it's not the lowest price I can (and do since gil flows like water.) This gives human players an advantage by allowing them to sell items at a price they think is reasonable. In XI items that were priced even 1 gil more than others sometimes would not sell for weeks.

Edited, Jan 3rd 2011 1:26pm by Jefro420


You're looking at how the market wards prevent a method of exploiting the FFXI AH (which I admit was not a good one), and not looking at how the current market wards provide problems.

The most important thing being, they don't even need to beat regular player prices anymore. They just need to be more visible. The current system allows RMT to spam wards (putting up 10 retainers, each with one of each item they are selling, reducing the likelyhood that one will check all 20 guys with an item, but instead just pick the best price of the first 10 or so they check, especially if they are all pretty close). Now this isn't the most dominating market problem that could occur, but it came to me in about 20 seconds, and it will allow RMT to beat out the 'market average'. If it was my job to beat people in the economy, I'm sure I could come up with a better one.

At least in FFXI's system, you could beat out RMT by price. This system makes price only one factor in selling, which hurts players relative to RMT, as well as other legit players.
____________________________


#31 Jan 03 2011 at 12:37 PM Rating: Decent
*
57 posts
AH list of prior prices or not, it doesn't take much to see a trend in price and then post items on a retainer for lower then what other people are posting in the ward. If a crafter walks in they will most likely grab the lower priced items to lower overhead cost. The items slightly higher in price will still sit there no matter what, so the whole AH price history list theory is bunk.
____________________________


#32 Jan 03 2011 at 12:50 PM Rating: Decent
**
266 posts
KurisimasDay wrote:
The wards are working out *reasonably* well at this point, but for two things.

They crash too much, and having to babysit your retainers trying to get things sold, especially if you have to burn anima to move between two different cities is a huge PITA.

The problem of selling stuff in the "right ward" still sucks ***. I have feathers, metals, gear, raw food items all stuck on the same retainer (in just one city), and I have to choose which of those is the most important to sell and/or which ward to be in to save me the most taxes, and I'm screwed on the rest of the items because people have to play hide-and-seek to even find my sh*t if searching for it in that city.

People cry and ***** about retainers not being in the right ward and buhuhu. Well, if you do a lot of different stuff, it's **** near impossible to have your retainer in the right ward. Give me unlimited anima, 30-60 retainers and we can talk. (if you think having every ward in every city as full as Ul'dah's Battlecraft ward while searching for a certain item would be fun.)

Pull your head out of your ***. We need an AH so that every orange, lemon, feather, metal square, fent, ore, and all the other stupid sh*t people need to craft, repair, or perform every other **** function in this game other than killing mobs while their gear is still intact can get on with business.

We need an Auction House for COMMODITIES

This + the place where Market Wards currently are should be turned into Mog Houses
#33 Jan 03 2011 at 1:32 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
812 posts
KujaKoF wrote:

You're looking at how the market wards prevent a method of exploiting the FFXI AH (which I admit was not a good one), and not looking at how the current market wards provide problems.

The most important thing being, they don't even need to beat regular player prices anymore. They just need to be more visible. The current system allows RMT to spam wards (putting up 10 retainers, each with one of each item they are selling, reducing the likelyhood that one will check all 20 guys with an item, but instead just pick the best price of the first 10 or so they check, especially if they are all pretty close). Now this isn't the most dominating market problem that could occur, but it came to me in about 20 seconds, and it will allow RMT to beat out the 'market average'. If it was my job to beat people in the economy, I'm sure I could come up with a better one.

At least in FFXI's system, you could beat out RMT by price. This system makes price only one factor in selling, which hurts players relative to RMT, as well as other legit players.

I do realize it was an implementation issue in FFXI and that there are other ways of creating an AH.

As far as your example, I suppose it is possible, but there's a downside for RMT. If they were to do that, they would flood the market, devalue whatever item it is that they are selling, and ruin their own profits so it's not a likely scenario.

The fact of the matter is, RMT have no foothold in the markets in FFXIV. This simply comes down to all the anti-RMT countermeasures that are in place. Weather or not the wards are the most effective of those countermeasures is of course debatable, it is still one of those countermeasures.


Edited, Jan 3rd 2011 2:33pm by Jefro420
____________________________
Abaddon Active Player Roster
- All your Fabul Sever are belong to us! -


#34 Jan 03 2011 at 1:51 PM Rating: Decent
*
57 posts
Jefro420 wrote:


The fact of the matter is, RMT have no foothold in the markets in FFXIV. This simply comes down to all the anti-RMT countermeasures that are in place. Weather or not the wards are the most effective of those countermeasures is of course debatable, it is still one of those countermeasures.


Edited, Jan 3rd 2011 2:33pm by Jefro420


1.) It's a new game that is still being developed, most of the population is still leveling, no end-game.
2.) Gil is beyond easy to make in FF14.
3.) Server populations are very low.

Those are reasons why RMT aren't HUGE in FF14.
____________________________


#35 Jan 03 2011 at 1:53 PM Rating: Excellent
***
1,636 posts
Jefro420 wrote:

The fact of the matter is, RMT have no foothold in the markets in FFXIV. This simply comes down to all the anti-RMT countermeasures that are in place. Weather or not the wards are the most effective of those countermeasures is of course debatable, it is still one of those countermeasures.

Edited, Jan 3rd 2011 2:33pm by Jefro420


There is little to no RMT activity, I agree with you there. Its impossible to say if that's because of the systems in place, because of ease of gil in the game, or because there simply aren't enough people playing the game to make it worth their time. Now personally, I think its the last 2

____________________________


#36 Jan 03 2011 at 2:24 PM Rating: Good
*
123 posts
The wards have people in them due to unwarranted optimism. And they aren't working because there's no easy way to find if or where some item in particular is.
#37 Jan 03 2011 at 2:43 PM Rating: Excellent
*****
11,539 posts
I don't get all the "AHes promote RMT" crap. It ranks up there with "Your neighbor could be a COMMUNIST!" in terms of unwarranted scare tactics and illogical conclusions.

Might as well say "Criminals can drive cars to get away from police, so now no one is allowed to have a car. That will stop criminals!" You're inconveniencing EVERYONE for the sake of a small, controllable problem, simply because the game's creators are unwilling to properly police the issue. Rather than investigate RMT claims and ban people for RMT activity, let's inconvenience EVERYONE. I mean, our legit players will have to waste more time, but so will the RMT!

Seriously. Investigate the criminal activity and punish the criminals; don't inconvenience everyone just to slightly inconvenience the criminals. That doesn't even make sense.

EDIT: Consider all the TSA related complaints lately. How many honest travelers are being inconvenienced for the sake of "preventing terrorism"? Is some rent-a-cop taking away your shampoo or your shaving cream really keeping this country safer?

I'm not saying that they should just let Achmed march his abnormally overstuffed jacket on to the plane, I'm just saying that there's a fine line between convenience and security, and it needs to be readjusted.

Edited, Jan 3rd 2011 4:03pm by Mikhalia
____________________________
[ffxisig]55836[/ffxisig]

Mikhalia: and FWIW, my posts are 95% helpful, informative, or funny.
Mikhalia: only 5% or less of my posts are utter crap.
Tyapex: 393 posts of utter crap...
Mikhalia: Sounds about right.
#38 Jan 03 2011 at 2:52 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
1,536 posts
Quote:

People cry and ***** about retainers not being in the right ward and buhuhu. Well, if you do a lot of different stuff, it's **** near impossible to have your retainer in the right ward. Give me unlimited anima, 30-60 retainers and we can talk. (if you think having every ward in every city as full as Ul'dah's Battlecraft ward while searching for a certain item would be fun.)

Pull your head out of your ***. We need an AH so that every orange, lemon, feather, metal square, fent, ore, and all the other stupid sh*t people need to craft, repair, or perform every other **** function in this game other than killing mobs while their gear is still intact can get on with business.


I'm pretty sure all the things you mentioned there go under tradescraft or grocers...not a big deal really, you didn't make a good case for yourself, I was just curious though, what does Anima have to do with filling up the wards? its not like with the auction house in FFXI it was global, it was broken up into the 3 main cities and Jeuno and later whatever expansion cities they decided on...and the market worked just fine.
____________________________
MUTED
#39 Jan 03 2011 at 3:27 PM Rating: Excellent
**
692 posts
SolidMack wrote:
I was just curious though, what does Anima have to do with filling up the wards? its not like with the auction house in FFXI it was global, it was broken up into the 3 main cities and Jeuno and later whatever expansion cities they decided on...and the market worked just fine.


There is a very limited cost to traveling in FFXI. You could either get a teleport (which only costs MP, which can instantly be refilled as many times as you want by zoning into a mog house) or take an airship, or OP warp. In FFXIV, on the other hand, your options are either to run the whole way from one town to another, or use anima which is a finite resource that regenerates very very slowly. If you teleport from Gridania to Ul'Dah to LL to check all 3 wards, you've used up your entire anima allotment for a 24 hour period.
____________________________
Kaishen
Galka of Bahamut
EndlessFriends Linkshell
[DNC90] [WAR90] [MNK90]
#40 Jan 03 2011 at 3:28 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
812 posts
KujaKoF wrote:
There is little to no RMT activity, I agree with you there. Its impossible to say if that's because of the systems in place, because of ease of gil in the game, or because there simply aren't enough people playing the game to make it worth their time. Now personally, I think its the last 2

We can really only make guesses as to why that is. The true test will be if SE makes enough (and the right) changes for people to start coming back in droves, maybe with a successful PS3 launch...
____________________________
Abaddon Active Player Roster
- All your Fabul Sever are belong to us! -


#41 Jan 03 2011 at 3:42 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
Avatar
***
1,235 posts
Short of just bazaaring everything on your main, the Wards are the only option you have.
Well, the third option is to sell or buy nothing.

So the wards being full really says nothing except people are using the only commerce function available to them.
____________________________


"Don't take it personally man, white knights would eat a can of **** if the label said SE on it. If anyone dared mention that it was not a good product, they'd just argue if someone can't appreciate the subtle nuances in the ****, they should just go back to eating lolrealfood, cuz the devs prolly know more about canning food than they do."
#42 Jan 03 2011 at 5:20 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
626 posts
i personally do have problems looking for items i need. its not that often, but once i selected an item that said (0) which i thought means the item exists somewhere, but not where it should be.
i searched high and low in each ward for that damned star but it didnt happen. am i missing something?

Quote:
Short of just bazaaring everything on your main, the Wards are the only option you have.
Well, the third option is to sell or buy nothing.

So the wards being full really says nothing except people are using the only commerce function available to them.


this is exactly why, its not because the masses are loving the new system, its because yeah it kinda works, it may not be as convenient as an AH, but its all we got.

Edited, Jan 3rd 2011 6:21pm by pixelpop

Edited, Jan 3rd 2011 6:21pm by pixelpop
____________________________

#43 Jan 03 2011 at 5:46 PM Rating: Decent
**
602 posts
The wards are a lot more original and involving than an auction house.
Maybe the auction house is indeed more effective, but its also a lot less personal and a lot more mechanic.

I like micromanaging my shops. The retainers have levels, so I'm sure we haven't seen the end of the wards system.

They crash a lot, yeah, but its a matter of time until they fix them.

If an AH is implemented people would stop using the wards. I do not want this to happen.

The wards actually create an element that didn't exist before.
____________________________
FFXI: Dashiel. (Asura) Puppetmaster.
FFXIV: Majidah Sihaam. (Besaid)
Marauder, Weaver & Alchemist.

#44 Jan 03 2011 at 5:49 PM Rating: Good
*
50 posts
The only way I would enjoy an auction house over the market wards (that are continuously being improved) is if it allowed me to put up unlimited things, which actually in the long run will just cause disaster in alot of items.


It can not work like FFXI or it will fail the way this game is set up.

Partial stacks of items sell amazing in the market wards (where you can put up 50 of something, but still sell them at an individual price, so the consumer doesnt have to buy them all if he doesnt want to)

Take shards for example, you put up 999, in the FFXI auction house, your options would be 999 or 1 (just using a basic example, I realize they could improve it some). In the market place, I can put up the 999, and someone could buy 242 if he wanted, and the next person could buy 40, and another could buy 500. None of these sales really would have worked in the AH system as it is in FFXI.

So I would have had no sales, or someone who wanted 242 would have to have bought alot of singles.

You also would lose out on the option to offer other shards for current shards (IE. I want ice, so I will offer wind because I know people want them, and I have tons).

I just see that as one of the things I actually enjoy about the current system. Once they get the crashes sorted out, I actually prefer this system over the ah, and trust me, I usually sell things cheaper then the going rate, so it isnt because I see more profits (I honestly dont really care about money at all in this game, they need to add alot of money sinks to fix that problem, but that is another topic)

Edited, Jan 3rd 2011 6:50pm by SharkOutofWater
#45 Jan 03 2011 at 5:50 PM Rating: Decent
**
602 posts
pixelpop wrote:
i personally do have problems looking for items i need. its not that often, but once i selected an item that said (0) which i thought means the item exists somewhere, but not where it should be.
i searched high and low in each ward for that damned star but it didnt happen. am i missing something?



I think it just means it was sold there once. An item isn't listed until it has been put up for sale (I think).
Kind of like a history.
____________________________
FFXI: Dashiel. (Asura) Puppetmaster.
FFXIV: Majidah Sihaam. (Besaid)
Marauder, Weaver & Alchemist.

#46 Jan 03 2011 at 7:51 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
*
135 posts
Or they could just be sane and use an AH system without a price history? This isn't hard, use the freakin' WoW model and list the seller's name too.

I really feel sorry for people who can't think outside the box of AH = FFXI AH.
#47 Jan 03 2011 at 8:12 PM Rating: Decent
*
75 posts
I think item search options disappear after a set period of time if the respective item is not placed in the market.

The Wards aren't terrible anymore thanks to the recently implemented search feature. The problem is that so few are playing currently. Today I searched through every fieldcraft bazaar and literally saw no primary or secondary fishing, botany, and mining tools. Not a single one! This game is rapidly dying.

That SE released a ******* poll instead of a clear vision for the game and an aggressive content update schedule during the New Year's announcement is the height of absurdity and totally baffling. When I went through the dumbass poll I kept thinking, "All of the above, and they already ******* know what they need to do. Why the **** are they conducting a poll?"

Talfryn Marshall, Besaid
#48 Jan 03 2011 at 8:30 PM Rating: Excellent
***
1,636 posts
ChoochZero wrote:
Or they could just be sane and use an AH system without a price history? This isn't hard, use the freakin' WoW model and list the seller's name too.

I really feel sorry for people who can't think outside the box of AH = FFXI AH.


yeah, I've wanted this since day one. Out of everything wow did right, their AH system is definitely what I'm most impressed with.
____________________________


#49 Jan 03 2011 at 9:16 PM Rating: Default
33 posts

SO.

I would like to be able to sell more than 10 items. or have 10 selling slots for each retainer. and id like 3+ Retainers.

I would like to be able to go to a board in front of the ward and select which item im looking for. then i would feel better about going to find it on a retainer with a star over its head.



And right now they cant keep The Ul'dah Market wards from crashing...
SO i dont think its possible for them to combine all 3 cities into one ward.
#50 Jan 03 2011 at 9:19 PM Rating: Default
**
845 posts
If murder is against the law why do people still kill each other?
____________________________

#51 Jan 03 2011 at 9:23 PM Rating: Default
33 posts
Oh and i havent even played this game for over 2 weeks now because theres no F'ing Content.

So i could care less if theres an Auction house or a Ward.
« Previous 1 2
This forum is read only
This Forum is Read Only!
Recent Visitors: 14 All times are in CST
Anonymous Guests (14)