Forum Settings
       
This Forum is Read Only

Incapacitating mobsFollow

#1 Jan 04 2011 at 8:31 AM Rating: Default
Scholar
Avatar
***
1,449 posts
As a newlly MRD28 it appears only now, with Skull Sunder II, I'm able to incapacitate mobs so I was looking for information.

I can see that my ability in particular only applies to incapacitating heads/horns and such but will I have a second target on the mob around the head to target?
Will the incapacitation happne if I just target the main mob anyway? (I doubt this)
Will the hard target show up after I make certain ammount of damage?

Mainly I'm looking for information not available on Loadstone which mearly says which Skills affect which parts and mob families.
____________________________


My FFXIV Blog



#2 Jan 04 2011 at 8:57 AM Rating: Decent
*
178 posts
Incapacitation can occur at any time during battle when you use the appropriate weapon skill (i.e. concussive blow II, skull sunder II, etc etc). You don't have a secondary target. Simply fight the mob and spam the skill until it dies and hope for the incapacitation. There will be a animation change whenever incapacitation occurs, and the chat log will indicate the incapacitation as well.

Now for info that lodestone doesn't mention. Incapacitation is rare..very rare. Unless you fight skeletons, you'll likely go through many weapon skills before you see a horn break. Skeletons seems like the only mobs that i've encountered that are easy to incapacitate, although the drop rate on the skull leather patches are ridiculously low even with the incapacitation. I've found that the incapacitation rate increases exponentially when using Battle Regimens. Farming for aldgoat horns without battle regimens is painstakingly slow. But i average 5-10 an hour when duoing with a friend.
#3 Jan 04 2011 at 9:07 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
812 posts
BRs are essential to incap some mobs. Think Wolves on r40 leves at Bald Knoll. They can be impossible without BRs, which incap and stun the wolves so that they don't heal themselves for a moment.
____________________________
Abaddon Active Player Roster
- All your Fabul Sever are belong to us! -


#4 Jan 04 2011 at 9:12 AM Rating: Good
**
692 posts
My understanding is that you don't need to target anything special. Just fight a mob whose head/horn can be incapacitated (e.g. skeletons, goats, etc), use your WS, and there is a chance that the part will be incapacitated (e.g. the skeleton's head wll fly off).
____________________________
Kaishen
Galka of Bahamut
EndlessFriends Linkshell
[DNC90] [WAR90] [MNK90]
#5 Jan 04 2011 at 9:45 AM Rating: Default
Scholar
Avatar
***
1,449 posts
Just making sure, besides the animation I have no way of knowing whether I have incapacited a mob or not?
____________________________


My FFXIV Blog



#6 Jan 04 2011 at 10:01 AM Rating: Default
Scholar
**
812 posts
Hugus wrote:
Just making sure, besides the animation I have no way of knowing whether I have incapacited a mob or not?

Some are less obvious than others, for those wolves it seems like the only way to tell is that they aren't at full health LOL
____________________________
Abaddon Active Player Roster
- All your Fabul Sever are belong to us! -


#7 Jan 04 2011 at 10:16 AM Rating: Good
***
1,112 posts
So if you, say, chop off a Rams horns, do they graphically come off the mob? Like tail chopping in Monster Hunter? Always thought that would be cool in an MMO :>
____________________________
To endanger the soul endangers all,
when the soul is endangered it must become a Warrior.
#8 Jan 04 2011 at 10:59 AM Rating: Default
Scholar
**
278 posts
Here is a list of all the body parts of different mobs that may be incapacitated.

There is also a list somewhere that tells you which skills incapacitate which body parts.

i know so you can physically see the rams horns break, the skeletons head pop off and the Coblyn's shell will actually physically break off. I wouldn't be surprised if all incapacitations were visible in some form or another.
#9 Jan 04 2011 at 11:54 AM Rating: Excellent
Hugus wrote:


a) I can see that my ability in particular only applies to incapacitating heads/horns and such but will I have a second target on the mob around the head to target?

* No, there is no secondary target - As long as you are facing the target the right way while using the ability, you will eventually Incapacitate it. Refer to b)

b) Will the incapacitation happen if I just target the main mob anyway? (I doubt this)

* Yes - You will need to be facing the mob in the right direction; for example if you are using Skull Sunder II, a Head Incap skill, you will need to face the mob so that they are front on to you before using the skill. If the skill hits correctly, you will receive a notification of this in your battle chat log that goes like: 'Your Skull Sunder II hits the Skeleton Swordbearer's skull for 288 points of damage.'

c) Will the hard target show up after I make certain ammount of damage?

Remember, there is no secondary target in regards to Incapacitation. However, once a body part has sustained a certain amount of damage, some mobs may display signs of being Incapacitated (e.g For Head Incapacitation, Skeletons lose their heads, Toads will fall on their back and struggle madly, Aldgoats Horns get broken, etc.) In addition to this, a message will appear in your battle log which will be like: 'The Skeleton Swordbearer's skull is incapacitated.' This message appears regardless of the mob having an incapacitation animation or not.




Edited, Jan 4th 2011 1:02pm by GuiltyBoomerang
____________________________
FFXIV

Estur Leone - Gysahl

#10 Jan 04 2011 at 12:09 PM Rating: Default
Scholar
**
812 posts
This is slightly OT, but does anyone know if there is a way to filter those incap messages in the chat window? I'd like to be able to set up a tab just for those if it's possible. I've honestly never seen one even though folks in my LS do BRs constantly.

Edited, Jan 4th 2011 1:10pm by Jefro420
____________________________
Abaddon Active Player Roster
- All your Fabul Sever are belong to us! -


#11 Jan 04 2011 at 1:15 PM Rating: Good
*
178 posts
Kordain wrote:
So if you, say, chop off a Rams horns, do they graphically come off the mob? Like tail chopping in Monster Hunter? Always thought that would be cool in an MMO :>


yes you physically see the horns break.
#12 Jan 04 2011 at 9:40 PM Rating: Excellent
Scholar
***
1,948 posts
lightacadi wrote:
Incapacitation can occur at any time during battle when you use the appropriate weapon skill (i.e. concussive blow II, skull sunder II, etc etc). You don't have a secondary target. Simply fight the mob and spam the skill until it dies and hope for the incapacitation. There will be a animation change whenever incapacitation occurs, and the chat log will indicate the incapacitation as well.


I will explain why incapacitation is deemed rare to some people.

For the demonstration, I use Goblin Freesword in Tamtara Deepcroft. Goblin Freesword has somewhere around 2500 HP. Goblin Freesword Right Arm has about 1500 HP. My Moonrise II (1000 TP cost) do 600 dmg on average and 750 dmg with Ferocity II. My Light Thrust (normal attack) to build TP do 250 dmg on average, yield 500 TP average each hit. Let's say I begin the fight with 0 TP (like most people). The combat flow is as follow

Action----------------------My TP--------------Goblin HP----------Goblin Right Arm HP
Light Thrust----------------500----------------2250---------------1500
Light Thrust----------------1000---------------2000---------------1500
Ferocity II + Moonrise II---0------------------1250---------------750
Light Thrust----------------500----------------1000---------------750
Light Thrust----------------1000---------------750----------------750
Moonrise II-----------------0------------------150----------------150
Light Thrust----------------500----------------0 - DEAD-----------150 - still not incapacitated

As you can see, if you fight normally chances are you will NEVER be able to incap it. However, for certain classes like Lancer you get special TP build up normal attack like Full Thrust, which does 1/2 of Light Thrust dmg for 2x TP gain - for this instance it's 125 dmg and 1000 TP gain. That or beginning the fight with more TP will allow you to incapacitate the mob before you kill it. No, you will have to incap it before the final strike, should the final strike is also meant to incap, the incap will not take place.

To incap it you need to position yourself in the correct angle for the correct incap. Moonrise II does right arm Incap, hence you have to position yourself next and facing to its right arm, not standing by left arm and hit it.

Most of the time Incapacitation animation is not so obvious. Leg Incapacitation on Fat Dodo does show it fall flat on the floor, yet Leg Incap on Toad Poacher or Goblin Freesword and they still stand and run like nothing happened, at all.

Edited, Jan 4th 2011 10:43pm by Khornette

Edited, Jan 4th 2011 10:43pm by Khornette
____________________________




#13 Jan 04 2011 at 10:19 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
1,536 posts
Kordain wrote:
So if you, say, chop off a Rams horns, do they graphically come off the mob? Like tail chopping in Monster Hunter? Always thought that would be cool in an MMO :>


Yes, some parts are visibly affected: from my experience I can chop off Whight's heads, I can also incap. Dodos but nothing visible shows on screen so it depends on mob type. As for targeting, if you wanna incap. the head you need to be positions facing the mobs head, if you wanna incap. an ***, you need to be behind the mob (for example, Doctor Mog posted a video of him incap. a Coblyn's ore cluster on its back, he just ran through the mob and pulled off his weapon skill on its back...obviously these techniques are meant to be used in party play mainly but you can use them solo if you want to. I've been trying to incap. goats, but they require a lot of damage (meaning I need to maybe pull off shrieker with my Archer about 3 or 4 times before the goat's horns fall off and that's too long at my level as I'll have a hard time surviving the fight).
____________________________
MUTED
#14 Jan 04 2011 at 10:45 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
**
691 posts
@ Khornette

Actually, an incapacitate can indeed occur on the final strike. I do it all the time with the 4th skull sunder II on aldgoat billies and they drop their 2 horns =p

Yeah, it takes 4 for me to break their horns. I know, I fail <.<
#15 Jan 04 2011 at 10:48 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
***
1,948 posts
Well I don't know, I can't incap something that show clearly >_> like horns. All I can incap are some Goblin Right Arm for gladius head but they once drop it without incap.
____________________________




#16 Jan 04 2011 at 11:55 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
*
90 posts
Khornette wrote:
lightacadi wrote:
Incapacitation can occur at any time during battle when you use the appropriate weapon skill (i.e. concussive blow II, skull sunder II, etc etc). You don't have a secondary target. Simply fight the mob and spam the skill until it dies and hope for the incapacitation. There will be a animation change whenever incapacitation occurs, and the chat log will indicate the incapacitation as well.


I will explain why incapacitation is deemed rare to some people.

For the demonstration, I use Goblin Freesword in Tamtara Deepcroft. Goblin Freesword has somewhere around 2500 HP. Goblin Freesword Right Arm has about 1500 HP. My Moonrise II (1000 TP cost) do 600 dmg on average and 750 dmg with Ferocity II. My Light Thrust (normal attack) to build TP do 250 dmg on average, yield 500 TP average each hit. Let's say I begin the fight with 0 TP (like most people). The combat flow is as follow

Action----------------------My TP--------------Goblin HP----------Goblin Right Arm HP
Light Thrust----------------500----------------2250---------------1500
Light Thrust----------------1000---------------2000---------------1500
Ferocity II + Moonrise II---0------------------1250---------------750
Light Thrust----------------500----------------1000---------------750
Light Thrust----------------1000---------------750----------------750
Moonrise II-----------------0------------------150----------------150
Light Thrust----------------500----------------0 - DEAD-----------150 - still not incapacitated

As you can see, if you fight normally chances are you will NEVER be able to incap it. However, for certain classes like Lancer you get special TP build up normal attack like Full Thrust, which does 1/2 of Light Thrust dmg for 2x TP gain - for this instance it's 125 dmg and 1000 TP gain. That or beginning the fight with more TP will allow you to incapacitate the mob before you kill it. No, you will have to incap it before the final strike, should the final strike is also meant to incap, the incap will not take place.

To incap it you need to position yourself in the correct angle for the correct incap. Moonrise II does right arm Incap, hence you have to position yourself next and facing to its right arm, not standing by left arm and hit it.

Most of the time Incapacitation animation is not so obvious. Leg Incapacitation on Fat Dodo does show it fall flat on the floor, yet Leg Incap on Toad Poacher or Goblin Freesword and they still stand and run like nothing happened, at all.

Edited, Jan 4th 2011 10:43pm by Khornette

Edited, Jan 4th 2011 10:43pm by Khornette


Thanks a lot Khornette that was super useful ^^; Rate up X 10 000.
#17 Jan 05 2011 at 12:52 AM Rating: Good
Uryuu wrote:
@ Khornette

Actually, an incapacitate can indeed occur on the final strike. I do it all the time with the 4th skull sunder II on aldgoat billies and they drop their 2 horns =p

Yeah, it takes 4 for me to break their horns. I know, I fail <.<


This is true, I get leg incaps on deathblow Skewer IIs a fair amount soloing I can try and grab a screenshot sometime if there are any super skeptics out there. Other than that though to my understanding Khornette's explanation is correct.

edit: Quote fail

Edited, Jan 4th 2011 11:52pm by Manosuke
____________________________
[quote]Capitalism Ho, ******************************************************************************** in /K/ where /K/lik is the new spam.[/url][/b]
Try out Eve free for a few weeks :D
This forum is read only
This Forum is Read Only!
Recent Visitors: 25 All times are in CST
Anonymous Guests (25)