I sincerely apologize beforehand for the long post…
Like many of you I am a die-hard FF fan who loved FFXI. Though I devoted a lot of time on the end-game contents for FFXI back in 04 and 05, I always considered myself a “casual player” since in-game interaction and world immersion is always what I prefer in a MMO… For example I would literally fish for hours in FFXI not for profit, but just relax and enjoy the scenery/casual conversation while I’m at it…
But when I say “truly casual player” I’m actually referring to my wife :P …as I’m thinking of playing FFXIV with her. Now what does “truly casual” mean you may ask? Well…
1. My wife almost never played any video game before… that is including all consoles like Wii or basic PC/mobile games like Bejeweled.
2. Has zero concept on what MMO and RPG is about… I had a hard time explaining the difference between Super Mario and Final Fantasy (it’s all “video game” to her lol)
3. Would get a headache just by watching me play 3D games like Vindictus and Fable III…
4. Admitted that she had some degree of negative stereotypical viewpoint toward video games and gamers (just for kids, waste of time, etc)
Now at this point you may ask, “why the **** do you even want to try to get her play FFXIV then???” Well here’s the thing..
- As much as she knows little (or even dislike to some extent) about video game, she genuinely wants to give FFXIV a try since she know how passionate I was with FFXI
- I’ve been selling the idea of us playing FFXIV together as one of our past times.. and she’s particularly intrigued with the idea of being a culinarian and we get to travel/explore in a fantasy world with beautiful scenery.. “just like watching a movie/anime/manga, but instead we get to control the characters in it and how the story evolves” is how I described it to her…
- We bought and installed FFXIV last night and tried out character creation just for fun.. I wasn’t as surprised that she’s quite interested in the character creation process (she literally spent 40 min deciding which “eye brow” and “lip” feature she wants on her female Hyur lol).. what really surprised me was that once we gone through the initial cut scene before we reach the starting city, she made the following comments:
“Wow… this world IS beautiful..!”
“It is very hard to believe this game received such bad review like you said…!”
And she actually wanted to start playing around with her character as I was showing her some basic emotes lol..! but I stopped playing right away as I realized even I were having trouble with the controls with mouse/keyboard first time playing it (I don’t want her feel discouraged right off the bat hehe..)
To be honest I was gonna give up the idea of getting her playing FFXIV altogether after reading the horrendous reviews and issues for this game for the past 3 months… but now she actually shows real interest in the game, I am starting to wonder if perhaps I can pull it off and make her a FFXIV fan…
For those of you who have the patience to read up to this point.. thank you!! Now I have couple questions for you and need your advice/suggestion on how I can make this work…
1. Does (or will) each character gets his/her own moghouse like in FFXI? If not is there anything closely resembles to a moghouse in which players can decorate and hang their memorabilias?
2. Does everyone agree that for casual players, gamepad/controller is a much better option than mouse/keypad?
3. One of my biggest fears is that if the game stay the way it is (food effect not useful) and my wife soon finds out there’s no “value” or that much of a “need” for being a culinarian in FFXIV… Do we know if this will change down the road..?
4. For a couple who wants to be culinarian and fisherman, which would be the ideal starting city?
5. I have heard that it is difficult to gather crafting materials even at low levels.. Would it painful for my wife and I, if all we want to do is just to gather cooking ingredients + fish?.. So for example if half of the stuff she’ll need to “cook” at low lvl would need to be purchased from market ward and requires a lot of gils.. that means we’ll be forced to level up and earn some gils just to get her culinary career started?
Advice/Suggestion for how I should approach FFXIV with my wife:
1. I will probably start playing for couple months myself first to get all the game basics/mechanics down.. so she doesn’t have to go through the initial learning pain with me…
2. Once we start together, we’ll just focus on teaching her the basic commands for culinarian.. then we would go on those mini ingredient gathering trips + fishing… I wouldn’t even bother with combat unless we run into mobs from time to time… Currently (or near the future) is this even fun to do in FFXIV..?
Thanks again for reading this lengthy post..!