Forum Settings
       
« Previous 1 2
This Forum is Read Only

Start charging us now SE, Please!Follow

#1 Jan 10 2011 at 10:35 PM Rating: Decent
***
1,608 posts
Sounds crazy but hear me out.

F2P is adding fatal wounds to the delicate state this game is already in. When subscribing, a very small percentage owned more than one account for themselves (most that did were RMT save for a few exceptions). Now that it has been "F2P" during this rebuild phase people are taking advantage of the situation and creating several accounts to exploit the system.

Many non-RMT now own 3-6 accounts for the following reasons:

1) Anima. For every account created is a new batch of regenerating teleports they can use on themselves or to sell as a taxi service. When a single player is controlling several characters for the purpose of near limitless supply of anima it is abuse.

2) Specialized Accounts. How many seen characters with specialized names like ______seller/buyer and the like? People creating accounts just so they can bazaar their wares outside of the wards anywhere they like all the time (They also don't get booted like retainers do). They aren't blanketing any particular location but each unmanned character left to squat somewhere is taking up frames that add up quick. Lag in towns wouldn't be near as bad if people would log out when they were done. These specialized accounts take up space all the time, helping to cause the lag we see today.

3) Botting. Just as many, if not more non-RMT are botting now than the RMT simply to maintain control of their multiple accounts simultaneously. Despite claming to have an active "task force", SE is doing absolutely nothing about botting or RMT at this moment, there focus right now is trying to appease as many as they can. Even those that are currently violating their ToS. Only exceptions I seen are those that are involved in consistent harassment of others and disturbing the peace. When the time comes to lay the banhammer, how far back will they look to incriminate is uncertain. Those that have played FF11 know how much of a delay between the time crime was committed to time of enactment is quite wide in its gap. Botting will always be present, but that shouldn't grant them an opportunity to flourish.


No one likes to have to pay for something yet nothing is free. In this case, this is what we pay for in exchange for no monthly monetary fee. For these reasons alone I'm willing to start paying again just to just to discourage the use of multiple accounts.

This game is in a fragile state people, we need to encourage and help enforce fair gameplay so that everyone can enjoy.

Edited, Jan 10th 2011 10:36pm by LyleVertigo
____________________________

#2 Jan 10 2011 at 10:39 PM Rating: Good
**
602 posts
Why would you pay to play a game with no content?
____________________________
FFXI: Dashiel. (Asura) Puppetmaster.
FFXIV: Majidah Sihaam. (Besaid)
Marauder, Weaver & Alchemist.

#3 Jan 10 2011 at 10:41 PM Rating: Good
**
618 posts
LyleVertigo wrote:
When the time comes to lay the banhammer, how far back will they look to incriminate is uncertain.



It didn't take them long for the healing exploit when the game went live. They even gave people a chance to turn themselves in so they didn't get banned. Thats why you saw all the post about people crying boo hoo i got banned.
____________________________
FFXIV Gilgamesh: Nghthawk Evenfall
FFXIV Gilgamesh: Nytehawk Evenfall


Time is but a window,
Death is but a doorway,
I'll Be Back
#4 Jan 10 2011 at 10:45 PM Rating: Excellent
**
451 posts
SE is just really in an impossible position atm. The game being free does open itself up to all these problems you mentioned, along with a lot of others, e.g. people being able to just log in their free account and /shout in town "This game blowz, lol losers".

But FFXIV is somewhat of a laughingstock at the moment, I really think if they started charging it would put a fork in this pig. You remember the last time they sent out an email saying the free period was over and they were gonna start charging, then literally a day or two later they sent another email saying "no no no, we're sorry it's still free don't leave." There's 2 reasons anyone is playing the game anymore, 1) it's named "Final Fantasy", and 2) it's free.

Edited, Jan 10th 2011 11:46pm by KristoFurwalken
#5 Jan 10 2011 at 11:19 PM Rating: Good
***
1,608 posts
MajidahSihaam wrote:
Why would you pay to play a game with no content?


Would you want to play any game with no content for free just because it is free? There are plenty of F2P games out there with "content". I'll say no more about the whole "content" deal since I don't condone the beating of horses, even dead ones.


There is going to be a major overhaul coming soon. I feel the majority of players that are still hanging around is not because it is free, but because they are grinding now in preparation for the changes and additions to come (that is what I'm doing). If there was no hope for this, why would anyone in their right minds continue to play when there are hundreds of mediocre F2P games out there fully developed?
____________________________

#6 Jan 10 2011 at 11:26 PM Rating: Default
***
1,608 posts
KristoFurwalken wrote:
SE is just really in an impossible position atm. The game being free does open itself up to all these problems you mentioned, along with a lot of others, e.g. people being able to just log in their free account and /shout in town "This game blowz, lol losers".

But FFXIV is somewhat of a laughingstock at the moment, I really think if they started charging it would put a fork in this pig. You remember the last time they sent out an email saying the free period was over and they were gonna start charging, then literally a day or two later they sent another email saying "no no no, we're sorry it's still free don't leave." There's 2 reasons anyone is playing the game anymore, 1) it's named "Final Fantasy", and 2) it's free.

Edited, Jan 10th 2011 11:46pm by KristoFurwalken



Like I told a friend, SE looked at the number of accounts that deactivated, not at who owned them. As far as we know, more than one of those accounts were owned by a single person dumping their extra accounts so that they don't get billed over $70 the next cycle. This was one of the things I was trying to point out in the OP. Unless they plan on making monetary profit, no one is going to pay subscriptions for 3-6-even more accounts, thus forcing most who did use multiple accounts to narrow it down to just one and maybe a mule.
____________________________

#7 Jan 10 2011 at 11:30 PM Rating: Default
LyleVertigo wrote:
MajidahSihaam wrote:
Why would you pay to play a game with no content?


Would you want to play any game with no content for free just because it is free? There are plenty of F2P games out there with "content". I'll say no more about the whole "content" deal since I don't condone the beating of horses, even dead ones.


There is going to be a major overhaul coming soon. I feel the majority of players that are still hanging around is not because it is free, but because they are grinding now in preparation for the changes and additions to come (that is what I'm doing). If there was no hope for this, why would anyone in their right minds continue to play when there are hundreds of mediocre F2P games out there fully developed?


because most f2p games are not even medi-core, but 100% crap. They have "content" but you dont want to play it.
And the "medi-core" games always have the bonus stuff you can buy for money, which is 100x better than the gear you can get.
#8 Jan 10 2011 at 11:51 PM Rating: Decent
*
93 posts
The moment they start charging people for the game it will empty out again which is why it is still free. why would you pay money for a no where near finished half-baked game? I know I wouldn't. Heck I have yet to get my $50 out of it.

Edited, Jan 11th 2011 12:52am by Rankin657
#9 Jan 10 2011 at 11:54 PM Rating: Excellent
Edited by bsphil
******
21,739 posts
You still need to buy the game to play, it's not entirely F2P unless you stumble across one of the super-rare (at least at this point) buddy passes.
____________________________
His Excellency Aethien wrote:
Almalieque wrote:
If no one debated with me, then I wouldn't post here anymore.
Take the hint guys, please take the hint.
gbaji wrote:
I'm not getting my news from anywhere Joph.
#10 Jan 10 2011 at 11:58 PM Rating: Default
Avatar
**
852 posts
MajidahSihaam wrote:
Why would you pay to play a game with no content?


omg your tune has changed! Welcome!
____________________________
#11 Jan 11 2011 at 12:25 AM Rating: Excellent
*
131 posts
Honestly, with the turmoil this game is currently in, making you guys pay would be a huge mistake. The only reason this game still has a heart beat is because the FF ip has die-hard fans that see the potential for this game to become amazing. Asking them to pay for its current state would be a slap in the face to its fans and would only stop more people from playing. If FFXIV loses more players, thats it, game over.

The new development team is trying to "regain our trust", which will not go too well if they decided that their first plan of action is to make some more money and have us start paying. I would rather have the game "plagued" with botters and "specialized accounts", than entirely empty, because how are they going to fix a game that nobody plays?
____________________________
Aurelius wrote:
I too recall the days of my childhood when an empty cardboard box and a little imagination could be one of the most entertaining things in the world. Of course, as my experiences evolved so too did my interests and my tastes in entertainment and while I could probably still find limited entertainment value in a large enough empty cardboard box, I certainly wouldn't pay someone a monthly fee for the privilege of access to it.
#12 Jan 11 2011 at 12:43 AM Rating: Excellent
***
2,120 posts
I've had thoughts like this a few times while playing and spending time on here. I'd love to be past this beta-like stage and move on to when the game is improved & has solid direction, the people only hanging around for the freeplay are gone, perhaps they also stop trolling the zam forums(wishful thinking), and to clean up the multiple accounts you're talking about. Getting to the point where I can make that decision for myself, "Do I stay or not?" That would be nice, but like others have mentioned jumping the gun on that decision could do a lot more harm than good. And while part of me wants to be at that stage, I don't think we're close to that yet.
____________________________

#13 Jan 11 2011 at 12:43 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
***
2,801 posts
To the OP: while I agree with you in theory, in practice the game isn't finalized enough to warrant charging people. Yes, people will abuse the system because they can. But if they were to start charging for the game in its current state, a LOT of people would quit. When the game is WORTH charging a monthly fee for, they will, and all these issues will vanish.
____________________________
WoW -- Zaia -- Dragonmaw -- Mage 80 BABY! Alchemy 450
Also... Hunter 62, Rogue 52, Warrior 66, Warlock 43, Death Knight 70, Shaman Who Cares? ;)

FFXI -- Caia -- Retired/Deleted -- Blm 75, Alchemy 97
Pandimonium server - Rank 10 - Bastok

Zaela Rdm -- 35, Alchemy 45 -- Forced into retirement because I didn't have the right kind of credit card. Hope it was worth 18 bucks a month, SE.

#14 Jan 11 2011 at 12:45 AM Rating: Default
***
2,202 posts
If they start charging, the game will die, is as simple as that :)
____________________________
MUTED
#15 Jan 11 2011 at 1:24 AM Rating: Default
Scholar
**
691 posts
Ostia wrote:
If they start charging, the game will die, is as simple as that :)



Because 0 gross income is so much better than more than 0. Yep. Totally better to give away a product than to charge for it.

....when the product is in an unfinished state, I guess its true. At least, SE has thought that way since the day FFXI released in Japan. They weren't charged for the first half year there =p

Let's face the truth, the game would not die. Most worlds would have to be merged, but there are still many people who can afford 10-15 a month for up to 4 subscription fees at the same time, but choose to spend that money elsewhere. I got White Knight Chronicles this month for the same price as a month's subscription to a MMO =p
#16 Jan 11 2011 at 3:59 AM Rating: Excellent
*****
11,576 posts
As bsphil pointed out, not charging a subscription doesn't mean unlimited free accounts. It means you can have multiple characters on one account (maximum of 8 I believe) and not have to pay the $3/character/month fee, but you can only have one of those characters logged in at a time, not all 8 of them. So the people with multiple characters logged in simultaneously have paid for multiple copies of the game already. I can't see too many people willing to shell out whatever the reduced cost of a retail FFXIV box is now per character deciding that it was a good investment now because there's no monthly sub but when SE starts charging they'll just cancel all the extra accounts and be sitting on a pile of retail boxes that will never see use again.

I think the OP is off the mark and too quick to jump to the sky-is-falling approach. For SE to start charging now in order to deal with such a trivial issue would be absolutely ludicrous. Talk about cutting off your nose to spite your face. "Ya, we went back on our promise and lost a lot more legit players, but we sure showed those few dozen multi-boxers not to **** with us! Woo!"

I know, I know. FFXI was all about RMT paranoia and always on the lookout for the guy who might just be ruining your good time by doing stuff that you can't do and...and and...and and and...

...and get over it. Or at least put a little thought into stuff before you launch these laughable crusades to address stuff that doesn't really matter. A handful of multi-boxers on your server isn't going to crash your PC or ruin your frame rates or eat your babies or **** your dog. There's no benefit to getting all **** retentive and trying to build mountains out of mole hills. There's really not.
#17 Jan 11 2011 at 4:02 AM Rating: Decent
***
2,202 posts
Uryuu wrote:
Ostia wrote:
If they start charging, the game will die, is as simple as that :)



Because 0 gross income is so much better than more than 0. Yep. Totally better to give away a product than to charge for it.

....when the product is in an unfinished state, I guess its true. At least, SE has thought that way since the day FFXI released in Japan. They weren't charged for the first half year there =p

Let's face the truth, the game would not die. Most worlds would have to be merged, but there are still many people who can afford 10-15 a month for up to 4 subscription fees at the same time, but choose to spend that money elsewhere. I got White Knight Chronicles this month for the same price as a month's subscription to a MMO =p


0 gross income with a hope of turning a profit is better than charging for the game, have it fail(Wich by all standards it already did) and never turn a profit :)

And about people who can afford 10-15 a month for 4 subs, do you honestly think, the majority of the people that have stayed in the game, are willing to shell 14.99x2 or 3 to support this game ? get serious...
____________________________
MUTED
#18 Jan 11 2011 at 5:16 AM Rating: Default
Scholar
**
691 posts
Ostia, I meant to play 4 different games. Why must you always assume the worst?
#19 Jan 11 2011 at 5:28 AM Rating: Excellent
Scholar
31 posts
I did only see a few of the problems you discribed but why should that worry me ? SE unintentionally already dealt with gilsellers in a very effective manner, namely gil is worth nothing at all. You can make millions each week just doing the simplest leve's and selling all drops/crystals. So why would we care if someone has a craftbot ?

In FFXI ( sorry but thats my closest experience to a rpgmmo ) it took me 50 million to level clothcraft and even then so many other players had it fully leveld as well. In here ( a supposedly craftingsupporting game ) you can level every craft easy, fast and free. So who cares if a gs has a bot doing that ?

And if this is the reason why you would want SE to make us pay then just tell SE to deal with these bots as they should namely by banning there asses. It's like you petition people not to own cars anymore cause were helping carthiefs obtaining there spoils....
____________________________


#20 Jan 11 2011 at 6:26 AM Rating: Default
The majority of the games current player base has only hung around so long because the game is still F2P, taking that away would be a terrible idea on SE's part.

I would love to see a poll done for how many current players have a canceld account.
____________________________

Does hating a game I wanted to love make me a troll?
or does trying to love a game I hate make me a white knight?
#21 Jan 11 2011 at 6:40 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
1,098 posts
I just want to know when i can buy more retainers crafting is a drag when you have no space and have to npc sell all the time. Buddy pass , best to wait till the game isn't free to hand it out.
____________________________





#22 Jan 11 2011 at 6:43 AM Rating: Default
Scholar
Avatar
***
1,449 posts
theSubligaravenger wrote:
The majority of the games current player base has only hung around so long because the game is still F2P, taking that away would be a terrible idea on SE's part.

I would love to see a poll done for how many current players have a canceld account.


Not a Poll but should be enough:

http://ffxiv.zam.com/forum.html?forum=152&mid=1292984745168316759#msg129334841911563591
____________________________


My FFXIV Blog



#23 Jan 11 2011 at 8:58 AM Rating: Decent
**
284 posts
Look at it this way. Have you ever paid for a sporting event live? Tickets run from 80-300 bucks. Now lets just say you did this and your team lost. Would you feel like you got your monies worth? Some ppl here act like wasting money is something they have never ever done before. If you bought the CE of ffxiv like many of us did you got your money because you are playing the game. If you are not because of lack of content or what have you thats your fault. We have not been charged since so F2P is a fair trade for now. What concerns me is that we havent really heard much from the devs (even that silly ask the devs stuff has stopped) since the new team.

I wouldnt mind paying for the game either, however, in my own personal experience what made the game unplayable for me was all the R0 crap. Now since that has been fixed(on my end due to using wireless) I can now play the darn thing.

The game has huge potential though. Potential meaning "aint done it yet".

Keep the faith and wait. Which I know folks tired of hearing it but what else can ya do except complain or quit?
#24 Jan 11 2011 at 9:12 AM Rating: Excellent
*****
11,539 posts
The game has the potential to get better, and so making the game free is their way of convincing players to stick with a weak product until it gets stronger.

Once they start charging, anyone who doesn't feel the current game state is worth paying for will leave, and they -will not- come back.

Financially speaking, it's the smarter move to keep the game free now to retain customers later rather than to charge for the game now and scare off a large portion of their subscribers.

Remember, if you will, that they WERE going to start charging, and as SOON as they announced it, there were enough people canceling their accounts that they had changed their mind within 48 hours. When is the last time you have heard of a company offering a product FOR FREE because they found out that THAT MANY people are unwilling to pay for it?

I get that you don't like the multiple account thing, but making EVERYONE pay for a game that is still in beta just because some people are making extra accounts is hurting everyone to hurt some.
____________________________
[ffxisig]55836[/ffxisig]

Mikhalia: and FWIW, my posts are 95% helpful, informative, or funny.
Mikhalia: only 5% or less of my posts are utter crap.
Tyapex: 393 posts of utter crap...
Mikhalia: Sounds about right.
#25 Jan 11 2011 at 9:30 AM Rating: Decent
Avatar
**
852 posts
leomike35 wrote:
Look at it this way. Have you ever paid for a sporting event live? Tickets run from 80-300 bucks. Now lets just say you did this and your team lost. Would you feel like you got your monies worth? Some ppl here act like wasting money is something they have never ever done before. If you bought the CE of ffxiv like many of us did you got your money because you are playing the game. If you are not because of lack of content or what have you thats your fault. We have not been charged since so F2P is a fair trade for now. What concerns me is that we havent really heard much from the devs (even that silly ask the devs stuff has stopped) since the new team.

I wouldnt mind paying for the game either, however, in my own personal experience what made the game unplayable for me was all the R0 crap. Now since that has been fixed(on my end due to using wireless) I can now play the darn thing.

The game has huge potential though. Potential meaning "aint done it yet".

Keep the faith and wait. Which I know folks tired of hearing it but what else can ya do except complain or quit?


Your analogy is specious, at best. If your team loses, the event still transpired. Both teams showed up to play. The stadium is complete. There are working restrooms. The concession stands are manned and filled with ridiculous, unhealthy foods and beer. Jumbo vision works; blimps fly overhead. There is complete network broadcast of the game, replete with commentary.

FFXIV only managed "the event transpired" -- Everything else, not so much.
____________________________
#26 Jan 11 2011 at 10:05 AM Rating: Excellent
***
3,530 posts
LyleVertigo wrote:
Start charging us now SE, Please!


C'mon, hit me harder, SE! Urrrg! Yeah, I can take it!

The safety word is "kupo."
____________________________
"... he called to himself a wizard, named Gallery, hoping by this means to escape the paying of the fifteen hundred crowns..." (Machen 15)

"Thus opium is pleasing... on account of the agreeable delirium it produces." (Burke para.6)

"I could only read so much for this paper and the syphilis poem had to go."
#27 Jan 11 2011 at 10:33 AM Rating: Decent
*
54 posts
leomike35 wrote:
...If you bought the CE of ffxiv like many of us did you got your money because you are playing the game. If you are not because of lack of content or what have you thats your fault...



Really?

So, what if I bought the CE edition from a store, drove home, opened the box, and there was nothing inside the box except for a DVD case with no disc? Would that also be MY fault?

We were duped. I fail to see how that is anybody's fault other than SE's.
____________________________

#28 Jan 11 2011 at 10:34 AM Rating: Good
Avatar
***
1,339 posts
KaneKitty wrote:
LyleVertigo wrote:
Start charging us now SE, Please!


C'mon, hit me harder, SE! Urrrg! Yeah, I can take it!

The safety word is "kupo."


**** you, now there's coffee all over my desk.
#29 Jan 11 2011 at 10:36 AM Rating: Default
**
557 posts
Buyer beware, but certainly anyone is entitled to feel mad at SE if they paid money for this product. While some are enjoying, SE has admitted the game was not ready for prime time.
____________________________


#30 Jan 11 2011 at 10:40 AM Rating: Excellent
*
222 posts
KaneKitty wrote:
LyleVertigo wrote:
Start charging us now SE, Please!


C'mon, hit me harder, SE! Urrrg! Yeah, I can take it!

The safety word is "kupo."


Rate you up
____________________________


#31 Jan 11 2011 at 10:47 AM Rating: Excellent
*****
11,539 posts
hexaemeron wrote:
leomike35 wrote:
Look at it this way. Have you ever paid for a sporting event live? Tickets run from 80-300 bucks. Now lets just say you did this and your team lost. Would you feel like you got your monies worth? Some ppl here act like wasting money is something they have never ever done before. If you bought the CE of ffxiv like many of us did you got your money because you are playing the game. If you are not because of lack of content or what have you thats your fault. We have not been charged since so F2P is a fair trade for now. What concerns me is that we havent really heard much from the devs (even that silly ask the devs stuff has stopped) since the new team.

I wouldnt mind paying for the game either, however, in my own personal experience what made the game unplayable for me was all the R0 crap. Now since that has been fixed(on my end due to using wireless) I can now play the darn thing.

The game has huge potential though. Potential meaning "aint done it yet".

Keep the faith and wait. Which I know folks tired of hearing it but what else can ya do except complain or quit?


Your analogy is specious, at best. If your team loses, the event still transpired. Both teams showed up to play. The stadium is complete. There are working restrooms. The concession stands are manned and filled with ridiculous, unhealthy foods and beer. Jumbo vision works; blimps fly overhead. There is complete network broadcast of the game, replete with commentary.

FFXIV only managed "the event transpired" -- Everything else, not so much.


And the other flaw in that analogy is that Bank of America Stadium (Panthers), Ford Field (Lions), Cleveland Browns Stadium, Ralph Wilson (Bills) etc charge WAY less per ticket than, say, Gillete Stadium (Patriots), Lucas Oil Stadium (Colts), Georgia Dome (Falcons), or M&T Bank Stadium (Ravens).

Buying tickets to a game for a team with a losing record is significantly less expensive than buying tickets to a team with a winning record because even the people who sell the tickets know that chances are, you're about to watch your team lose (unless you're visiting, in which case the local crowd is going to heckle you for a few hours while you watch your team win).

I think people would be a lot less annoyed at a game that cost $15 and was free beyond that than paying $75 and $15 every month for a product they weren't happy with.

Usually I'd say "You get what you pay for", but in the case of people like myself who preordered two copies of the collector's edition, I really didn't.

Edited, Jan 11th 2011 11:47am by Mikhalia
____________________________
[ffxisig]55836[/ffxisig]

Mikhalia: and FWIW, my posts are 95% helpful, informative, or funny.
Mikhalia: only 5% or less of my posts are utter crap.
Tyapex: 393 posts of utter crap...
Mikhalia: Sounds about right.
#32 Jan 11 2011 at 10:49 AM Rating: Default
***
3,416 posts
Quote:
So, what if I bought the CE edition from a store, drove home, opened the box, and there was nothing inside the box except for a DVD case with no disc? Would that also be MY fault?


Then you didn't get the product you had bought. Getting something different than you expected =/= not getting anything at all.

Are you honestly saying the situations are similar?

We bought a DVD thinking it would be a Blu-ray disc, although we even got to test said DVD before buying it, and then blamed the company for not giving us a Blu-ray disc when they had not even talked about anything but DVD's this entire time. Your incorrect expectations do not make it SE's fault, that much is **** sure.

If the lied about something to make us buy said product, then it is their fault. I can not fathom how you could twist this situation like that though. All they ever talked about was guildleves and armory system, and lo and behold, that's exactly what we got.

Edited, Jan 11th 2011 7:52pm by Hyanmen
____________________________
SE:
Quote:
We really want to compete against World of Warcraft and for example the new Star Wars MMO.

#33 Jan 11 2011 at 10:54 AM Rating: Good
I used a Buddy Pass. I haven't spent any money on this game at all.

Now that's out of the way, there are two reasons I play:

1) I never spent any money.
2) I am praying that by sucking it up and pushing through all this bull!@#$ that I will somehow be at a very advantageous position over the majority of the players that will someday play this game, assuming SE finishes fixing the game.

If SE started charging me now...I'm not sure if I would pay or not. Which says a lot coming from me, considering I have, for the most part, stood up for SE the whole time.

I just hope whatever they plan to do is done soon. I want more people to play.
____________________________
Humankind cannot gain anything without first giving something in return. To obtain, something of equal value must be lost.
Data Center: Primal; Server: Ultros; Free Company: The Kraken Club; Grand Company: The Maelstrom; Chocobo: Kweh
#34 Jan 11 2011 at 11:08 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
**
260 posts
From a business standpoint SE does stand to make a small gain from the alt characters. Using the same logic that many site that charge for file sharing (or **** for that matter) use: 3 day trial is free! but you have to give us your credit card info so that we know you are a real person (or over 18, or whatever excuse). I am sure that most people cancel before their short free time is up (unless the intend to let the subscription renew at the low low price of 24.95 a month) but I know they would not be using that tactic if a good number of people didn't forget to cancel and end up with at least 1 month billed.

Netflix is another example of this business model. 9.95 a month for all the movies I can rent? SCORE! I pay it (no really I do) and probably only use it 2 or 3 times a month. Would be cheaper to red box it.

I suspect the same will happen when billing goes live. There will be tons of little alts out there generating 3 bucks each, at least for the first month. Maybe longer if the player is lazy (like me and my netflix acct) and doesn't get them cancelled (Oh snap! I got charged for it. Oh well, may as well use it for this month then. OH SNAP! I forgot to cancel it again!)

-Teeg
____________________________
Why do gnats drop rat tails and lemurs drop gnat wings?
#35 Jan 11 2011 at 11:19 AM Rating: Excellent
***
2,214 posts
KristoFurwalken wrote:
SE is just really in an impossible position atm. The game being free does open itself up to all these problems you mentioned, along with a lot of others, e.g. people being able to just log in their free account and /shout in town "This game blowz, lol losers".

But FFXIV is somewhat of a laughingstock at the moment, I really think if they started charging it would put a fork in this pig. You remember the last time they sent out an email saying the free period was over and they were gonna start charging, then literally a day or two later they sent another email saying "no no no, we're sorry it's still free don't leave." There's 2 reasons anyone is playing the game anymore, 1) it's named "Final Fantasy", and 2) it's free.

Edited, Jan 10th 2011 11:46pm by KristoFurwalken

I am kinda disappointed in myself, but those are literally the reasons I still play it... basically I feel like it's run somewhere, play whack-a-mob for a while, run somewhere else, setup to sell stuff, run somewhere else craft until my eyes are numb, go to bed... All in hopes of getting another job high enough to do another quest... I am so close to getting 3 more level 20 quests, and my level 26 storyline quest... Is that sad or what.
#36 Jan 11 2011 at 11:25 AM Rating: Decent
IMO while the game is in free mode, limit us to character slots. The 2 holiday events proved that people are taking advantage of mules and alts, however there's nothing to stop the determined from creating, getting item, transfer, and delete other than lengthy cutscenes.
____________________________
FFXI:Sylph - Perrin 75 Hume THF; Retired (At least from my use any way)
EVE Online:ScraperX; Retired
WAR:IronClaw- Peryn SW;SkullThrone- Grymloc BO; Retired


#37 Jan 11 2011 at 11:34 AM Rating: Good
Edited by bsphil
******
21,739 posts
Teegotaru wrote:
From a business standpoint SE does stand to make a small gain from the alt characters. Using the same logic that many site that charge for file sharing (or **** for that matter) use: 3 day trial is free! but you have to give us your credit card info so that we know you are a real person (or over 18, or whatever excuse). I am sure that most people cancel before their short free time is up (unless the intend to let the subscription renew at the low low price of 24.95 a month) but I know they would not be using that tactic if a good number of people didn't forget to cancel and end up with at least 1 month billed.

Netflix is another example of this business model. 9.95 a month for all the movies I can rent? SCORE! I pay it (no really I do) and probably only use it 2 or 3 times a month. Would be cheaper to red box it.

I suspect the same will happen when billing goes live. There will be tons of little alts out there generating 3 bucks each, at least for the first month. Maybe longer if the player is lazy (like me and my netflix acct) and doesn't get them cancelled (Oh snap! I got charged for it. Oh well, may as well use it for this month then. OH SNAP! I forgot to cancel it again!)

-Teeg
Once you have to start paying for those alts a ton of them are going to vanish. The ones that don't on accident will make a lot of people upset with SE (whether it's their fault or not).
____________________________
His Excellency Aethien wrote:
Almalieque wrote:
If no one debated with me, then I wouldn't post here anymore.
Take the hint guys, please take the hint.
gbaji wrote:
I'm not getting my news from anywhere Joph.
#38 Jan 11 2011 at 11:41 AM Rating: Excellent
***
2,010 posts
Quote:
Like I told a friend, SE looked at the number of accounts that deactivated, not at who owned them.


What does it matter when the end result is not enough subscriptions to sustain all the things that go into running the game? The short answer is that if there were enough subs to cover the costs of running the game, fixing the current issues and adding content, SE probably would have been content with that and a slow buildup like it was with FFXI. Instead, they have it on life support and are hoping to generate enough word of mouth that by the time the "real" release comes around, it will be an entirely different game and those numbers will change.

I don't believe for a second that the Ps3 version is delayed indefinitely because they can't work around some memory issue or another. The Playstation has been the scapegoat for time out of mind, and if FFXI has taught us anything it's that creative solutions can be found to any problem and the ability to add good content isn't as limited as we thought it was, or rather, as they led us to believe it was. It's their Hail Mary for this game, and I hope that it works.

#39 Jan 11 2011 at 11:49 AM Rating: Good
13 posts
KaneKitty wrote:
LyleVertigo wrote:
Start charging us now SE, Please!


C'mon, hit me harder, SE! Urrrg! Yeah, I can take it!

The safety word is "kupo."


/thumbs way up
#40 Jan 11 2011 at 1:07 PM Rating: Good
***
2,202 posts
Uryuu wrote:
Ostia, I meant to play 4 different games. Why must you always assume the worst?


But that was my point, why would i pay 14.99 right now, if the game is free ? does me paying the sub instantly make this game better ? if yes, then ok i would pay it, if not, then i would not.

if that was not your point then IDK lol sorry ?
____________________________
MUTED
#41 Jan 11 2011 at 1:57 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
*
194 posts
Real danger comes from SE projecting a certain revenue stream based upon the # of "active" accounts, then when they switch "on" the monthly fee they see a ton of cancellations (not only from people leaving quitting XIV but from people cancelling their multiple "alt" accounts).

From a subscription standpoint, I would assume that SE anticipates a certain % of cancellations as soon as they switch "on" the monthly fee. But I would imagine it's hard to project just what % of their current "active" accounts are just used as free tele-taxis / storage mules / bazaars.

If I budget for and anticipate losing 10% of my subscription base once I start charging a monthly fee, but see 20%+ of my formerly "active" accounts cancel, I'm f*#$ed...

#42 Jan 11 2011 at 3:41 PM Rating: Decent
*
176 posts
@PerrinoofSylph

FFXIV Config -> General Settings -> Graphics -> Disable Cutscene Effects.

Now you can skip cutscenes.

Edited, Jan 11th 2011 2:43pm by superdupernuker
#43 Jan 11 2011 at 3:48 PM Rating: Excellent
**
435 posts
Like it or not, we're the beta test right now. This game should've stayed in the oven a MINIMUM of another 6 months. It was NOT ready for launch and I'm still incredibly confused as to why it launched when it did.

If SE started charging now, a huge number of the remaining playerbase would up and leave, meaning that SE isn't getting any testing done, meaning that the game isn't getting the feedback it needs to be made into a better game.

It'll stay free until the game is where it needs to be to retain subscribers. Nothing else to it.
____________________________

#44 Jan 11 2011 at 4:32 PM Rating: Decent
**
518 posts
hexaemeron wrote:
leomike35 wrote:
Look at it this way. Have you ever paid for a sporting event live? Tickets run from 80-300 bucks. Now lets just say you did this and your team lost. Would you feel like you got your monies worth? Some ppl here act like wasting money is something they have never ever done before. If you bought the CE of ffxiv like many of us did you got your money because you are playing the game. If you are not because of lack of content or what have you thats your fault. We have not been charged since so F2P is a fair trade for now. What concerns me is that we havent really heard much from the devs (even that silly ask the devs stuff has stopped) since the new team.

I wouldnt mind paying for the game either, however, in my own personal experience what made the game unplayable for me was all the R0 crap. Now since that has been fixed(on my end due to using wireless) I can now play the darn thing.

The game has huge potential though. Potential meaning "aint done it yet".

Keep the faith and wait. Which I know folks tired of hearing it but what else can ya do except complain or quit?


Your analogy is specious, at best. If your team loses, the event still transpired. Both teams showed up to play. The stadium is complete. There are working restrooms. The concession stands are manned and filled with ridiculous, unhealthy foods and beer. Jumbo vision works; blimps fly overhead. There is complete network broadcast of the game, replete with commentary.

FFXIV only managed "the event transpired" -- Everything else, not so much.





This has to be the best FFXIV sports analogy i've ever seen, you sir win the internets
#45 Jan 11 2011 at 5:59 PM Rating: Good
*
89 posts
I can see your reasons for saying to charge but RMT and botters will still be there and these people making multiple account to sell stuff and give us lag I'm not that fussed about to be honist. I spend like 10minutes a week in a city. I much prefer hiding in bushes and trees and such in the areas.

As for why do people play the game?

Well for me at first me and two mates started, one quit (he's a nob anyway, he loses interest in any game that isnt star craft in like 5 minutes) and the other is waiting awhile until the game is fuller and more repaired.

Me? I have met a group i enjoy playing / talking with and even though that doesnt make up for the game I actually do enjoy playing.

I have hundreds of reasons to quit, the main one being that I was a very high rank way back in October (highest of my class infact) got hacked mid October (my token was broken on purchase, now have a new one) when I contacted SE to fix this it took until 7th January to fix. yes pretty much 3 months of SEs "customer services" saying all sorts. End result was I returned recently with all my stuff gone the LS I made dead and some others have quit the game. HOWEVER! being I missed both the big updates I can tell you now I have noticed a sizable difference in the game. The SP system is now good (I dont understand why people moan about it now) its faster and many things have been altered and sorted out. People need to take a breath and take a fresh look :)

I played FF11 and even if this game is only half the game that was then it will be much better than any MMO currently out. My experience with FF11 was beautiful and I regret leaving it and playing WoW with friends (left that game fast)

it's hard and may sound a bit stupid but "Don't look at the game as it was on release, look at how it changes" then we can see what the game will be like in the long run and not just in the present state. Now no we shouldnt need to do that but the fact of the matter is we have to with FFXIV and if your reading these forums and this post then your interested enough to want to give it a chance, so do it :)
#46 Jan 11 2011 at 7:16 PM Rating: Default
Scholar
*
241 posts
I think the solution is to pay for content instead of monthly subscription fee. That way people are not faced with the impending dilema of whether to cancel or not. Instead, they can purchase the content when it is avalible. I would personally like to see Mission sets being released monthly, and would rather pay for quality expansions than rely on obligatory ones via updates. People who want a free trial can continue with the came in its current state. Players who want to adventurer deeper into the world of FFXIV would pay for those chapters of the story, like a magazine subscription.

This solution is good for everyone, and will help SE regain our trust by releasing concrete content packages. First content package: Chocobo missions and a race track. Second content package, Airship missions and sky racing. Next, the Musketeer missions. You get the idea. I'd pay for that!
____________________________


#47 Jan 13 2011 at 12:24 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
2,801 posts
Quote:
And the other flaw in that analogy is that Bank of America Stadium (Panthers), Ford Field (Lions), Cleveland Browns Stadium, Ralph Wilson (Bills) etc charge WAY less per ticket than, say, Gillete Stadium (Patriots), Lucas Oil Stadium (Colts), Georgia Dome (Falcons), or M&T Bank Stadium (Ravens).


Not to disagree, but even when the Bills went to four straight Superbowls, Ralph Wilson kept the prices down. In fact, for the last 20 years or so the Bills have been one of, if not THE, cheapest team to get tickets for. Granted, the last ten years have been pretty bad if you're a Bills fan. But the ten years prior to that were pretty good. This is one of the many reasons why Bills fans are so loyal.

/End hijack

Edited, Jan 13th 2011 1:24am by Caia
____________________________
WoW -- Zaia -- Dragonmaw -- Mage 80 BABY! Alchemy 450
Also... Hunter 62, Rogue 52, Warrior 66, Warlock 43, Death Knight 70, Shaman Who Cares? ;)

FFXI -- Caia -- Retired/Deleted -- Blm 75, Alchemy 97
Pandimonium server - Rank 10 - Bastok

Zaela Rdm -- 35, Alchemy 45 -- Forced into retirement because I didn't have the right kind of credit card. Hope it was worth 18 bucks a month, SE.

#48 Jan 13 2011 at 12:25 AM Rating: Decent
Avatar
**
852 posts
Caia wrote:
Quote:
And the other flaw in that analogy is that Bank of America Stadium (Panthers), Ford Field (Lions), Cleveland Browns Stadium, Ralph Wilson (Bills) etc charge WAY less per ticket than, say, Gillete Stadium (Patriots), Lucas Oil Stadium (Colts), Georgia Dome (Falcons), or M&T Bank Stadium (Ravens).


Not to disagree, but even when the Bills went to four straight Superbowls, Ralph Wilson kept the prices down. In fact, for the last 20 years or so the Bills have been one of, if not THE, cheapest team to get tickets for. Granted, the last ten years have been pretty bad if you're a Bills fan. But the ten years prior to that were pretty good. This is one of the many reasons why Bills fans are so loyal.

/End hijack

Edited, Jan 13th 2011 1:24am by Caia


What the **** else is there to do in Buffalo?
____________________________
#49 Jan 13 2011 at 2:26 PM Rating: Decent
32 posts
the game is months (at least) away from being remotely worth paying for.

rmt is the LEAST of this games problems. lol

fix the game, then pay.
____________________________
[img]http://common.zam.com/xivsigs/1821857.png[/img]
#50 Jan 13 2011 at 3:29 PM Rating: Good
*****
11,539 posts
hexaemeron wrote:
Caia wrote:
Quote:
And the other flaw in that analogy is that Bank of America Stadium (Panthers), Ford Field (Lions), Cleveland Browns Stadium, Ralph Wilson (Bills) etc charge WAY less per ticket than, say, Gillete Stadium (Patriots), Lucas Oil Stadium (Colts), Georgia Dome (Falcons), or M&T Bank Stadium (Ravens).


Not to disagree, but even when the Bills went to four straight Superbowls, Ralph Wilson kept the prices down. In fact, for the last 20 years or so the Bills have been one of, if not THE, cheapest team to get tickets for. Granted, the last ten years have been pretty bad if you're a Bills fan. But the ten years prior to that were pretty good. This is one of the many reasons why Bills fans are so loyal.

/End hijack

Edited, Jan 13th 2011 1:24am by Caia


What the **** else is there to do in Buffalo?


"Get shot and killed" if you watch enough Law & Order.
____________________________
[ffxisig]55836[/ffxisig]

Mikhalia: and FWIW, my posts are 95% helpful, informative, or funny.
Mikhalia: only 5% or less of my posts are utter crap.
Tyapex: 393 posts of utter crap...
Mikhalia: Sounds about right.
#51 Jan 14 2011 at 9:34 AM Rating: Good
MajidahSihaam wrote:
Why would you pay to play a game with no content?
Exactly. But I will keep my account open and log on occasionally due to a hope that the next thing they do will be to add content. If they start charging before adding significant content, I will be canceling. And, sadly, I can name several friends who have said they will do the same.

LyleVertigo wrote:
I feel the majority of players that are still hanging around is not because it is free, but because they are grinding now in preparation for the changes and additions to come (that is what I'm doing). If there was no hope for this, why would anyone in their right minds continue to play when there are hundreds of mediocre F2P games out there fully developed?
The answer to your question deals with how much hope people have. I personally have enough hope to not cancel the account and uninstall the game while it's free. Unfortunately, I don't have enough hope to keep the account open if I have to pay for it.

I definitely see the OP's point, and it has some validity. But I think it would be another very bad business decision for SE to start charging before there is a compelling reason to pay for a subscription to this game. With other games launching soon (Rift, most specifically for me) and others planned that show a lot of promise, SE will do best to keep with their plan to not charge until the game is up to par.

I'm not usually one of the naysayers on FFXIV. This is probably one of the few times I've posted something truly negative about the game; you can check my previous posts to see. Seeing no real info, in addition to a poll that makes me very concerned, for so long now has dashed the hopes I had about the announcement of a new dev team.

I'm hanging on because . . . well, I'm an optimist and my hopes for things die very slowly. And because it's not costing me anything to do so.


____________________________
FFXIV: Luthien Tinuviel, Elezen Female, Balmug (And will re-roll on a new server in August)
FFXI: Luthian, Elvaan Female, Bismarck (originally Luthien on Seraph):
85RDM | 80WAR | 76DRG
lolgaxe+1 wrote:
I've always been of the opinion that Warrior was the Swiss Army Knife of Vana'diel.
« Previous 1 2
This forum is read only
This Forum is Read Only!
Recent Visitors: 20 All times are in CST
Anonymous Guests (20)