Forum Settings
       
This Forum is Read Only

Lifetime SubscriptionFollow

#1 Jan 11 2011 at 11:52 AM Rating: Decent
Was just checking out DC Universe Online recently, seeing how their pricing schemes go. From what I read (if it's not too old of an article), monthly is about 14.99$, and you can do a lifetime sub for 199$. Just curious if any of you would have taken that option had SE offered it towards XIV? Day 1, cough up the 200$ and have it charged to the credit card, and having no way of getting it back.

I know personally I would of thought about it, because FFXI at 12.99$ X 6 years? That's about 935$, so it seems to make perfect sense. On the other hand, you have no clue which direction a game is going to go, and could very easily be out 100+$. Anyhow, just checking out how many people would have probably bitten on this option.

Edited, Jan 11th 2011 12:53pm by Montsegurnephcreep
____________________________

#2 Jan 11 2011 at 11:55 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
437 posts
I wouldnt have at sign up but I probably would now
____________________________

Metin - Phoenix - BLM75 WHM48 Retired

http://cojenova.enjin.com/ff14forum

#3 Jan 11 2011 at 12:00 PM Rating: Decent
**
395 posts
They had this on LOTRO and it ended up being great!
I paid $200 at launch and now that the game is free to play I got all the content for free as well as $50 worth of in-game points not to mention i got to play for 2 years without paying a monthly fee.

In the long run these are great, think if you played FFXI for 8 years but only payed $200
____________________________

http://www.prismaticllama.com/
http://www.sologensystems.com
The Prismatic Llama - Peru's llamas got nothing on us.
#4 Jan 11 2011 at 12:03 PM Rating: Good
***
3,416 posts
Companies do this if they don't expect their playerbase to play more than a few years at most.

SE gained most of their money through many years of monthly subscriptions from the majority of the playerbase, so offering this kind of option would probably hurt them in the end. $200 vs $900~ per customer is quite a big difference.

That said, if they offered this kind of service I wouldn't take it. They just want to make money fast, and I don't see any long-term commitment from the company with this kind of paying scheme.

Edited, Jan 11th 2011 9:04pm by Hyanmen
____________________________
SE:
Quote:
We really want to compete against World of Warcraft and for example the new Star Wars MMO.

#5 Jan 11 2011 at 12:18 PM Rating: Excellent
*
131 posts
It sounds like a good deal, and truth is if you planned to play a game for another 8 years, yeah a lifetime sub would be ideal. However, i dont think its a good idea to go into a game head first with a lifetime sub. Sure, you might have high hopes and truly feel like it would be worth while, but you never know how the game will play out. Personally, i would play the game for at least 3 months before i commit to a $200 dollar sub, but i guess since most games come with a free month that people would view that as enough time to decide if shelling out 200 bucks for a game is worth it.



Edited, Jan 11th 2011 1:19pm by KingKon
____________________________
Aurelius wrote:
I too recall the days of my childhood when an empty cardboard box and a little imagination could be one of the most entertaining things in the world. Of course, as my experiences evolved so too did my interests and my tastes in entertainment and while I could probably still find limited entertainment value in a large enough empty cardboard box, I certainly wouldn't pay someone a monthly fee for the privilege of access to it.
#6 Jan 11 2011 at 12:21 PM Rating: Excellent
*****
11,539 posts
Prior to beta, I probably would have taken it in a heartbeat (and been pretty annoyed right now).

If it was offered as an option -after- I started beta, I would have waited till retail to see what retail was like.

If it was offered as an option -now-, I might end up getting it later, but I certainly would not do it now.

I would have paid $200 for a lifetime subscription to FFXI back in 2004-2005 though.

I think it's a cool idea to offer as an option, but I'd want to play the game for 2-4 months at regular cost to be sure that I want to commit myself to at least a year ($195 = 13 months at $15/mo) before shelling out 200 bucks.

But I'm also in agreement that if a company is expecting to keep customers for 14 months or longer, then $200 for life is a bad investment on their part.

Good for consumers though; at $40-$60 a game, $200 to play for life is $200 you saved that would have been spent on 3-5 other games.

I paid for Minecraft in Alpha because I've played it and I believe that it has huge potential, but... this is the kicker: It's fun -now-. And 10 euros (roughly 14 bucks) bought me the game plus all updates for life.

I wouldn't mind paying for a lifetime sub for a game if I was enjoying it enough that I believed I would save money based on the amount of time I expect to play it.

Edited, Jan 11th 2011 1:22pm by Mikhalia
____________________________
[ffxisig]55836[/ffxisig]

Mikhalia: and FWIW, my posts are 95% helpful, informative, or funny.
Mikhalia: only 5% or less of my posts are utter crap.
Tyapex: 393 posts of utter crap...
Mikhalia: Sounds about right.
#7 Jan 11 2011 at 12:26 PM Rating: Excellent
Not to derail the thread here, but on a slightly related topic... I heard that Star Trek Online offered to those who pre-bought lifetime subs access to another playable race (the Borg iirc). Seems awfully dirty to me.

I would consider a lifetime sub, but only when XIV gets itself seriously up to par.


#8 Jan 11 2011 at 12:30 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
991 posts
Osarion, Goblin in Disguise wrote:
Not to derail the thread here, but on a slightly related topic... I heard that Star Trek Online offered to those who pre-bought lifetime subs access to another playable race (the Borg iirc). Seems awfully dirty to me.

I would consider a lifetime sub, but only when XIV gets itself seriously up to par.




crytpc was really good about their lifetime bonus rewards
Champions has a rediculous ammount of bonus's it gives its lifetimes and it actualy keeps adding more as time goes on as a thank you to them(including a private forum, private in game social areas, a buttload of in game costumes and other cosmetics)

STO i havent followed since launch but it had a similar offer, starting with borg, and uniforms not available anywhere else, wouldnt be surprised if they tacked on more to them too.
____________________________


#9 Jan 11 2011 at 12:37 PM Rating: Good
***
1,636 posts
i saw that when I loaded up DCU this morning too. Its a good idea I think, if a person knows they'll be playing a game for another 18 months or so. I couldn't go for it right now, because I'm still waiting on FFXIV and SWTOR as other potential game subscriptions.
____________________________


#10 Jan 11 2011 at 12:37 PM Rating: Excellent
*
131 posts
Mikhalia the Picky wrote:

I think it's a cool idea to offer as an option, but I'd want to play the game for 2-4 months at regular cost to be sure that I want to commit myself to at least a year ($195 = 13 months at $15/mo) before shelling out 200 bucks.

But I'm also in agreement that if a company is expecting to keep customers for 14 months or longer, then $200 for life is a bad investment on their part.

Good for consumers though; at $40-$60 a game, $200 to play for life is $200 you saved that would have been spent on 3-5 other games.

I paid for Minecraft in Alpha because I've played it and I believe that it has huge potential, but... this is the kicker: It's fun -now-. And 10 euros (roughly 14 bucks) bought me the game plus all updates for life.

I wouldn't mind paying for a lifetime sub for a game if I was enjoying it enough that I believed I would save money based on the amount of time I expect to play it.

Edited, Jan 11th 2011 1:22pm by Mikhalia


Osarion, Goblin in Disguise wrote:
Not to derail the thread here, but on a slightly related topic... I heard that Star Trek Online offered to those who pre-bought lifetime subs access to another playable race (the Borg iirc). Seems awfully dirty to me.

I would consider a lifetime sub, but only when XIV gets itself seriously up to par.

I feel like lifetime subs could go both ways, for both the company and the customer.

Buying a lifetime sub would make it cheaper for the customer to pay, so that in turn has the company losing profits. However, i feel like if i bought a lifetime sub that was somewhat expensive (like $200), i'd be more inclined to play the game longer, and maybe hold off on other games. And if people do that, server populations remain full or grow larger, the game remains popular, word gets around, and in turn more people are likely to play it. Rinse, repeat, profit.
____________________________
Aurelius wrote:
I too recall the days of my childhood when an empty cardboard box and a little imagination could be one of the most entertaining things in the world. Of course, as my experiences evolved so too did my interests and my tastes in entertainment and while I could probably still find limited entertainment value in a large enough empty cardboard box, I certainly wouldn't pay someone a monthly fee for the privilege of access to it.
#11 Jan 11 2011 at 12:39 PM Rating: Excellent
*****
11,539 posts
KingKon wrote:
Mikhalia the Picky wrote:

I think it's a cool idea to offer as an option, but I'd want to play the game for 2-4 months at regular cost to be sure that I want to commit myself to at least a year ($195 = 13 months at $15/mo) before shelling out 200 bucks.

But I'm also in agreement that if a company is expecting to keep customers for 14 months or longer, then $200 for life is a bad investment on their part.

Good for consumers though; at $40-$60 a game, $200 to play for life is $200 you saved that would have been spent on 3-5 other games.

I paid for Minecraft in Alpha because I've played it and I believe that it has huge potential, but... this is the kicker: It's fun -now-. And 10 euros (roughly 14 bucks) bought me the game plus all updates for life.

I wouldn't mind paying for a lifetime sub for a game if I was enjoying it enough that I believed I would save money based on the amount of time I expect to play it.

Edited, Jan 11th 2011 1:22pm by Mikhalia


Osarion, Goblin in Disguise wrote:
Not to derail the thread here, but on a slightly related topic... I heard that Star Trek Online offered to those who pre-bought lifetime subs access to another playable race (the Borg iirc). Seems awfully dirty to me.

I would consider a lifetime sub, but only when XIV gets itself seriously up to par.

I feel like lifetime subs could go both ways, for both the company and the customer.

Buying a lifetime sub would make it cheaper for the customer to pay, so that in turn has the company losing profits. However, i feel like if i bought a lifetime sub that was somewhat expensive (like $200), i'd be more inclined to play the game longer, and maybe hold off on other games. And if people do that, server populations remain full or grow larger, the game remains popular, word gets around, and in turn more people are likely to play it. Rinse, repeat, profit.


I hadn't even considered the latter effect. If one person pays the lifetime sub and plays for three years then you lose money, but if they convince two people to play the game and each of those people plays and pays for one year, then that's 24 months worth of subscriptions they would not have had.
____________________________
[ffxisig]55836[/ffxisig]

Mikhalia: and FWIW, my posts are 95% helpful, informative, or funny.
Mikhalia: only 5% or less of my posts are utter crap.
Tyapex: 393 posts of utter crap...
Mikhalia: Sounds about right.
#12 Jan 11 2011 at 1:01 PM Rating: Excellent
*
131 posts
Mikhalia the Picky wrote:

I hadn't even considered the latter effect. If one person pays the lifetime sub and plays for three years then you lose money, but if they convince two people to play the game and each of those people plays and pays for one year, then that's 24 months worth of subscriptions they would not have had.

I think thats the whole reason from lifetime subs anyway. They give you a huge incentive to pay for a lifetime sub, and they already know they are gunna lose money. But the risk/reward is that since you payed the sub, you are not gunna leave the game anytime soon, at least until you make up your money. And in that time, maybe a friend asks

"So Mikahalia, what games have you been playing lately"

and then you say,

"Well Kon, ive been playing --- for a while. Its pretty good, you should try it"

then he goes,

"Okay Mikahalia, ill sub up"

With a lifetime sub, you have a longer more certain amount of time to invite others to play, and having multiple people sub up others is worth the potential lose on the lifetime sub cost.

Oh, and by the way, we're friends now :3
____________________________
Aurelius wrote:
I too recall the days of my childhood when an empty cardboard box and a little imagination could be one of the most entertaining things in the world. Of course, as my experiences evolved so too did my interests and my tastes in entertainment and while I could probably still find limited entertainment value in a large enough empty cardboard box, I certainly wouldn't pay someone a monthly fee for the privilege of access to it.
#13 Jan 11 2011 at 1:22 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
991 posts
The biggest incentive to lifetime subs ive found is that unless the game shuts down, you dont even feel the need to play it as much as you normaly would

I play champions maybe a few hours a week tops, i have a lifetime to it, **** sometimes i dont do anything at all in it, but the way i see it, it was well worth the lifetime as i have put alot of hours and time over the past 16 months into it which has already made it pay for itself.
and the longer i have it, the more its technicaly given me in value, and because im not paying per month, i dont feel that urge to have to be on all the time to get my moneys worth
____________________________


#14 Jan 11 2011 at 1:25 PM Rating: Good
***
1,636 posts
one huge reason that people offer lifetime subs is simply that money now > money later. Getting a huge boost in cash up front allows them to better budget future updates etc.
____________________________


#15 Jan 11 2011 at 1:36 PM Rating: Good
Sage
*
77 posts
I still want to have this game be successful in the long run and plan to play probably for the next ten years. a lifetime subscription only accounts for maybe 2 years?

however, i would love to have a lifetime subscription to FFXI :D. The FFXI discount is only for a little while longer i think, i wish they kept that around, because its a great deal.
#16 Jan 11 2011 at 1:48 PM Rating: Default
*
123 posts
For me it depends on the game. For something like eve, sure I'd consider paying 200 (they might charge 300 though) to play it for life. Most people would probably do that for WoW. For FF14, nope. It'd really have to improve a lot.

IMO they'd be better off going F2P with a cash shop for new armor and weapon skins and maybe do the GW method of paid expansions with new maps, mobs, and classes.
#17 Jan 11 2011 at 4:25 PM Rating: Excellent
***
3,530 posts
Hyanmen wrote:
Companies do this if they don't expect their playerbase to play more than a few years at most.


This.

A "lifetime subscription" option pretty much guarantees that game will either fail or go free-to-play within three years.

It's not much of a surprise: a company would never offer such an option unless they believed that they could turn a greater profit from ~$200 than from ~$15 per month. Doing the math, they are betting that people who buy a "lifetime subscription" will not stick around for more than 13 months -- that does not spell a lot of projected content. If the company were confident in their ability to keep any given player for years, such a payment method would not exist because it would cause them to lose money.

In short, a "lifetime subscription" option is little more than a quiet death knell, a signal of a company's lack of confidence in the longevity of their game.
____________________________
"... he called to himself a wizard, named Gallery, hoping by this means to escape the paying of the fifteen hundred crowns..." (Machen 15)

"Thus opium is pleasing... on account of the agreeable delirium it produces." (Burke para.6)

"I could only read so much for this paper and the syphilis poem had to go."
#18 Jan 11 2011 at 4:29 PM Rating: Default
***
3,530 posts
Vedis wrote:
I play champions maybe a few hours a week tops, i have a lifetime to it, **** sometimes i dont do anything at all in it, but the way i see it, it was well worth the lifetime as i have put alot of hours and time over the past 16 months into it which has already made it pay for itself.


Actually, the cost of your lifetime subscription to Champion's Online still has yet to pay for itself, and it will not have been even a marginally good deal for another five months.
____________________________
"... he called to himself a wizard, named Gallery, hoping by this means to escape the paying of the fifteen hundred crowns..." (Machen 15)

"Thus opium is pleasing... on account of the agreeable delirium it produces." (Burke para.6)

"I could only read so much for this paper and the syphilis poem had to go."
#19 Jan 11 2011 at 4:30 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
991 posts
KaneKitty wrote:
Vedis wrote:
I play champions maybe a few hours a week tops, i have a lifetime to it, **** sometimes i dont do anything at all in it, but the way i see it, it was well worth the lifetime as i have put alot of hours and time over the past 16 months into it which has already made it pay for itself.


Actually, the cost of your lifetime subscription to Champion's Online still has yet to pay for itself, and it will not have been even a marginally good deal for another five months.


um, i didnt pay 300 for it, so you are WAY off on those numbers
____________________________


#20 Jan 11 2011 at 4:32 PM Rating: Good
***
3,530 posts
Vedis wrote:
KaneKitty wrote:
Vedis wrote:
I play champions maybe a few hours a week tops, i have a lifetime to it, **** sometimes i dont do anything at all in it, but the way i see it, it was well worth the lifetime as i have put alot of hours and time over the past 16 months into it which has already made it pay for itself.


Actually, the cost of your lifetime subscription to Champion's Online still has yet to pay for itself, and it will not have been even a marginally good deal for another five months.


um, i didnt pay 300 for it, so you are WAY off on those numbers


Sorry, I only had the game's official website as a source.
____________________________
"... he called to himself a wizard, named Gallery, hoping by this means to escape the paying of the fifteen hundred crowns..." (Machen 15)

"Thus opium is pleasing... on account of the agreeable delirium it produces." (Burke para.6)

"I could only read so much for this paper and the syphilis poem had to go."
#21 Jan 11 2011 at 4:44 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
991 posts
KaneKitty wrote:
Vedis wrote:
KaneKitty wrote:
Vedis wrote:
I play champions maybe a few hours a week tops, i have a lifetime to it, **** sometimes i dont do anything at all in it, but the way i see it, it was well worth the lifetime as i have put alot of hours and time over the past 16 months into it which has already made it pay for itself.


Actually, the cost of your lifetime subscription to Champion's Online still has yet to pay for itself, and it will not have been even a marginally good deal for another five months.


um, i didnt pay 300 for it, so you are WAY off on those numbers


Sorry, I only had the game's official website as a source.



yeah i figured thats why you thought that
i got mine for 150 back when it was first offered

right before release they raised it to 200 per

and then they shut them down, it was a pre release offer only

about 2 months ago they reintroduced lifetimes for people who wanted them(after they announced f2p too) and they are now 300 each, whats interesting is how positively it was taken form the forum community there given they knew it was going f2p already, a ton of people jumped on it still

believe it or not, despite champiosn original bad reception, the game has been doing really well
____________________________


#22 Jan 11 2011 at 4:51 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
***
1,431 posts
Eadieni wrote:
They had this on LOTRO and it ended up being great!
I paid $200 at launch and now that the game is free to play I got all the content for free as well as $50 worth of in-game points not to mention i got to play for 2 years without paying a monthly fee.

In the long run these are great, think if you played FFXI for 8 years but only payed $200


Ya but LOTRO became F2P... I wonder if this had anything to do with it.
#23 Jan 11 2011 at 4:54 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
**
991 posts
sideways wrote:
Eadieni wrote:
They had this on LOTRO and it ended up being great!
I paid $200 at launch and now that the game is free to play I got all the content for free as well as $50 worth of in-game points not to mention i got to play for 2 years without paying a monthly fee.

In the long run these are great, think if you played FFXI for 8 years but only payed $200


Ya but LOTRO became F2P... I wonder if this had anything to do with it.


actualy, DDO and LOTRO went f2p for reasons not related to popularity of the game

DDO less so, basicaly they found out they could make more money with a cash shop, and a ton of people playing for free rather then with subscriptions, and trust me, its working really well.
given how well ddo did with this model, they turned around and applied it to lotro too.
____________________________


#24 Jan 11 2011 at 4:54 PM Rating: Good
*
69 posts
I would buy it,the game is awesome and it keeps getting better. :)
____________________________


#25 Jan 11 2011 at 4:55 PM Rating: Decent
***
3,416 posts
Quote:
Ya but LOTRO became F2P... I wonder if this had anything to do with it.


Suddenly your playerbase that consists of lifetime subscribers didn't generate enough money to the company? How surprising.
____________________________
SE:
Quote:
We really want to compete against World of Warcraft and for example the new Star Wars MMO.

#26 Jan 11 2011 at 5:35 PM Rating: Excellent
Sage
***
1,246 posts
Buying a lifetime subscription right now, would be like buying a half built villa in spain that's still "in construction".
Stupid.

The games future isn't stable enough for me to consider such a plunge, but maybe next year...
____________________________
Meowth!
#27 Jan 11 2011 at 6:58 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
***
1,948 posts
Montsegurnephcreep wrote:
Was just checking out DC Universe Online recently, seeing how their pricing schemes go. From what I read (if it's not too old of an article), monthly is about 14.99$, and you can do a lifetime sub for 199$. Just curious if any of you would have taken that option had SE offered it towards XIV? Day 1, cough up the 200$ and have it charged to the credit card, and having no way of getting it back.

I know personally I would of thought about it, because FFXI at 12.99$ X 6 years? That's about 935$, so it seems to make perfect sense. On the other hand, you have no clue which direction a game is going to go, and could very easily be out 100+$. Anyhow, just checking out how many people would have probably bitten on this option.

Edited, Jan 11th 2011 12:53pm by Montsegurnephcreep


They had this on APB and the game went boom, fast. Lol.
____________________________




#28 Jan 12 2011 at 3:27 AM Rating: Good
***
2,535 posts
Khornette wrote:
Montsegurnephcreep wrote:
Was just checking out DC Universe Online recently, seeing how their pricing schemes go. From what I read (if it's not too old of an article), monthly is about 14.99$, and you can do a lifetime sub for 199$. Just curious if any of you would have taken that option had SE offered it towards XIV? Day 1, cough up the 200$ and have it charged to the credit card, and having no way of getting it back.

I know personally I would of thought about it, because FFXI at 12.99$ X 6 years? That's about 935$, so it seems to make perfect sense. On the other hand, you have no clue which direction a game is going to go, and could very easily be out 100+$. Anyhow, just checking out how many people would have probably bitten on this option.

Edited, Jan 11th 2011 12:53pm by Montsegurnephcreep


They had this on APB and the game went boom, fast. Lol.


Well, not quite.

APB had two payment options - you could pay a flat fee for 1 month of unlimited playtime, or a smaller flat fee for a limited amount of playtime (it was in 20-hour blocks, IIRC) that never expired. So basically you could choose between a monthly subscription or a pay-as-you-go plan.

And APB died not because the game was terrible or because of their payment options, but because the developer racked up an absolutely enormous debt in the course of making the game, causing them to go bankrupt shortly after APB launched; they were unable to find a buyer for the game before they had to go out of business and thus shut down all operations. The game has since found a new owner and is relaunching later this year.
#29 Jan 12 2011 at 4:02 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
***
1,948 posts
BastokFL wrote:
Khornette wrote:
Montsegurnephcreep wrote:
Was just checking out DC Universe Online recently, seeing how their pricing schemes go. From what I read (if it's not too old of an article), monthly is about 14.99$, and you can do a lifetime sub for 199$. Just curious if any of you would have taken that option had SE offered it towards XIV? Day 1, cough up the 200$ and have it charged to the credit card, and having no way of getting it back.

I know personally I would of thought about it, because FFXI at 12.99$ X 6 years? That's about 935$, so it seems to make perfect sense. On the other hand, you have no clue which direction a game is going to go, and could very easily be out 100+$. Anyhow, just checking out how many people would have probably bitten on this option.

Edited, Jan 11th 2011 12:53pm by Montsegurnephcreep


They had this on APB and the game went boom, fast. Lol.


Well, not quite.

APB had two payment options - you could pay a flat fee for 1 month of unlimited playtime, or a smaller flat fee for a limited amount of playtime (it was in 20-hour blocks, IIRC) that never expired. So basically you could choose between a monthly subscription or a pay-as-you-go plan.

And APB died not because the game was terrible or because of their payment options, but because the developer racked up an absolutely enormous debt in the course of making the game, causing them to go bankrupt shortly after APB launched; they were unable to find a buyer for the game before they had to go out of business and thus shut down all operations. The game has since found a new owner and is relaunching later this year.


What I meant is that, lifetime subscription sounds good and all but what if the game died? Who's gonna refund you that money? Lifetime subscription isn't that beneficial to the player, and certainly is not that beneficial to the developers in the long run.

And FYI WAR also had lifetime subscription, it's not the "new" thing.
____________________________




#30 Jan 12 2011 at 4:51 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
Avatar
***
1,449 posts
Yes, if the game does go down then you will probably be loosing money but people do it all their lives with insurance as well.

The great majority of people pay for car and/or home insurance and will probably keep on paying for year after year and never need to make a claim on it! Are you gonna ask the insurance company for your money back at the end of every year?

At the end of the day it's a personal choice, whether it's a gambit worth taking spending more money now with a possibility of saving money later.
____________________________


My FFXIV Blog



#31 Jan 12 2011 at 6:03 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
***
1,948 posts
Hugus wrote:
The great majority of people pay for car and/or home insurance and will probably keep on paying for year after year and never need to make a claim on it! Are you gonna ask the insurance company for your money back at the end of every year?


Oh but insurance is not an investment, it's an expense. Superannuation is a closer comparison, and guess what? You get money at the end when you retire!

Unless of course, the fund goes boom too.

Edited, Jan 12th 2011 7:04am by Khornette
____________________________




#32 Jan 12 2011 at 6:20 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
Avatar
***
1,449 posts
Khornette wrote:
Hugus wrote:
The great majority of people pay for car and/or home insurance and will probably keep on paying for year after year and never need to make a claim on it! Are you gonna ask the insurance company for your money back at the end of every year?


Oh but insurance is not an investment, it's an expense. Superannuation is a closer comparison, and guess what? You get money at the end when you retire!

Unless of course, the fund goes boom too.

Edited, Jan 12th 2011 7:04am by Khornette


Well, the subscription to a online game is an expense as well, can't see it being an investment unless you intend to sell you account/character in the future.

To be honest I have no idea of what a Superannuation is but if its anything like a contribution you pay so you get a pension at 65 then that too can be considered as a gamble since if you die at 60 you're not gonna be aruond to enjoy the money.
____________________________


My FFXIV Blog



#33 Jan 12 2011 at 6:31 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
*
241 posts
I like the idea of paying upfront for access to the game. With all the money I sunk into FFXI over the years, I would like to be able to pick up and play once in a while without resubscribing. I would personsonally like to see something like this set up, or have content released in packages which could be perchased monthly but access remains permenant.
____________________________


#34 Jan 12 2011 at 6:44 PM Rating: Excellent
***
1,949 posts
On topic:
If the option was there at launch, I would have taken it. (I had --and still have-- hopes that FFXIV will be the next MMO that will keep me coming back for the next few years)
Right now, I would be regretting it. (Currently on a FFXIV break, returned to wow to see how much they really changed with cata.)
In the future... Well, we have yet to see.

KingKon wrote:
[...]since you payed the sub[...]

Eadieni wrote:
[...]think if you played FFXI for 8 years but only payed $200[...]

@_@ for some reason, that mistake hurts my eyes more than it really should.

____________________________
FFXIV: Cloe Delisle Scholar, officer of the SWAGGER Free company, Sargatanas server.
#35 Jan 12 2011 at 9:53 PM Rating: Good
*****
11,539 posts
BastokFL wrote:
Khornette wrote:
Montsegurnephcreep wrote:
Was just checking out DC Universe Online recently, seeing how their pricing schemes go. From what I read (if it's not too old of an article), monthly is about 14.99$, and you can do a lifetime sub for 199$. Just curious if any of you would have taken that option had SE offered it towards XIV? Day 1, cough up the 200$ and have it charged to the credit card, and having no way of getting it back.

I know personally I would of thought about it, because FFXI at 12.99$ X 6 years? That's about 935$, so it seems to make perfect sense. On the other hand, you have no clue which direction a game is going to go, and could very easily be out 100+$. Anyhow, just checking out how many people would have probably bitten on this option.

Edited, Jan 11th 2011 12:53pm by Montsegurnephcreep


They had this on APB and the game went boom, fast. Lol.


Well, not quite.

APB had two payment options - you could pay a flat fee for 1 month of unlimited playtime, or a smaller flat fee for a limited amount of playtime (it was in 20-hour blocks, IIRC) that never expired. So basically you could choose between a monthly subscription or a pay-as-you-go plan.

And APB died not because the game was terrible or because of their payment options, but because the developer racked up an absolutely enormous debt in the course of making the game, causing them to go bankrupt shortly after APB launched; they were unable to find a buyer for the game before they had to go out of business and thus shut down all operations. The game has since found a new owner and is relaunching later this year.


Out of curiosity, is the new ownership going tobe using the same payment schemes,and will they recognize any time purchased previously as valid?

Not that I plan to ever play the game; just wondering what their approach is.
____________________________
[ffxisig]55836[/ffxisig]

Mikhalia: and FWIW, my posts are 95% helpful, informative, or funny.
Mikhalia: only 5% or less of my posts are utter crap.
Tyapex: 393 posts of utter crap...
Mikhalia: Sounds about right.
#36 Jan 12 2011 at 10:34 PM Rating: Default
**
265 posts
history has only shown so far that games that offer lifetime subs either fail or go F2P pretty quick afterwards. I fell in love with FFXI pretty much right away, so i would of picked up a life sub in a heartbeat back then (i was still in HS so i didnt have much money though) This game if i didnt play beta/see any reviews..ect i might have (basically if they said pre-order life time sub) just based on my love of SE/FF/FFXI...thank god they didnt lol.

If they improve the game to where im happy and i can get my handful of RL friends back to playing (good ol days of FFXI style) then i would be happy to drop 200$.

I recently got DCU with a friend and i can say i can see this going F2P in a year or so. Its a decent game, but there is not much to it and most of the quests are extremely repetitive. They have a lifetime sub..so i can bet it will follow suit like the rest of the lifetime sub games.

Edited, Jan 12th 2011 11:36pm by zanfire
#37 Jan 12 2011 at 11:02 PM Rating: Good
***
1,636 posts
Following the LOTOR and DDO model, If I'm not mistaken, the people who had paid for the lifetime sub get everything the game adds for free (barring the XP bonuses and such, they are granted all content that comes out).

Quote:
history has only shown so far that games that offer lifetime subs either fail or go F2P pretty quick afterwards. I fell in love with FFXI pretty much right away, so i would of picked up a life sub in a heartbeat back then (i was still in HS so i didnt have much money though) This game if i didnt play beta/see any reviews..ect i might have (basically if they said pre-order life time sub) just based on my love of SE/FF/FFXI...thank god they didnt lol.



I don't really correlate this as a cause and effect type thing. There are only a few major publishers of MMOs, and it happens that turbine was big into lifetime subs and then later a f2P model.
____________________________


#38 Jan 12 2011 at 11:13 PM Rating: Good
***
2,535 posts
Mikhalia the Picky wrote:
BastokFL wrote:
Khornette wrote:
Montsegurnephcreep wrote:
Was just checking out DC Universe Online recently, seeing how their pricing schemes go. From what I read (if it's not too old of an article), monthly is about 14.99$, and you can do a lifetime sub for 199$. Just curious if any of you would have taken that option had SE offered it towards XIV? Day 1, cough up the 200$ and have it charged to the credit card, and having no way of getting it back.

I know personally I would of thought about it, because FFXI at 12.99$ X 6 years? That's about 935$, so it seems to make perfect sense. On the other hand, you have no clue which direction a game is going to go, and could very easily be out 100+$. Anyhow, just checking out how many people would have probably bitten on this option.

Edited, Jan 11th 2011 12:53pm by Montsegurnephcreep


They had this on APB and the game went boom, fast. Lol.


Well, not quite.

APB had two payment options - you could pay a flat fee for 1 month of unlimited playtime, or a smaller flat fee for a limited amount of playtime (it was in 20-hour blocks, IIRC) that never expired. So basically you could choose between a monthly subscription or a pay-as-you-go plan.

And APB died not because the game was terrible or because of their payment options, but because the developer racked up an absolutely enormous debt in the course of making the game, causing them to go bankrupt shortly after APB launched; they were unable to find a buyer for the game before they had to go out of business and thus shut down all operations. The game has since found a new owner and is relaunching later this year.


Out of curiosity, is the new ownership going tobe using the same payment schemes,and will they recognize any time purchased previously as valid?

Not that I plan to ever play the game; just wondering what their approach is.


The relaunch of APB is apparently going to operate under the free-to-play model that seems to be working quite well for LotRO and DDO.
#39 Jan 12 2011 at 11:14 PM Rating: Excellent
*
131 posts
Mikhalia the Picky wrote:

Out of curiosity, is the new ownership going tobe using the same payment schemes,and will they recognize any time purchased previously as valid?

Not that I plan to ever play the game; just wondering what their approach is.
I'm guessing you haven't heard, APB Reloaded is going F2P. I think they are working on a way to repay those who bought time or have time remaining on their subs with cash shop tokens or items.

Also, to those who say that lifetime passes are indicators that the developers think their game is gunna fail, what if like dcuo they only offer the lifetime subs on only one version of the game?

Does that say to you that the devs are gunna focus predominately on the console with regards to content and such (according to the Lifetime sub = failure theory), or is it becuase they can afford to not have a lifetime sub because they are not competing with many mmos on the console market and as such are gunna keep you sub'd up for a while anyway?
____________________________
Aurelius wrote:
I too recall the days of my childhood when an empty cardboard box and a little imagination could be one of the most entertaining things in the world. Of course, as my experiences evolved so too did my interests and my tastes in entertainment and while I could probably still find limited entertainment value in a large enough empty cardboard box, I certainly wouldn't pay someone a monthly fee for the privilege of access to it.
#40 Jan 12 2011 at 11:25 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
2,801 posts
I'm very hesitant about even playing a game that offers a lifetime subscription. The ones that I've tried that had them have all been sub par (LotR and Star Trek). I've heard of other games doing this as well, and they weren't all that good either. So, it seems that at least some companies know they have a shoddy product and are trying to make off with as much "free" money as they can.

As for FFXIV, if they had offered it a year ago, I'd have been very very tempted. And I'd be kicking myself now.
____________________________
WoW -- Zaia -- Dragonmaw -- Mage 80 BABY! Alchemy 450
Also... Hunter 62, Rogue 52, Warrior 66, Warlock 43, Death Knight 70, Shaman Who Cares? ;)

FFXI -- Caia -- Retired/Deleted -- Blm 75, Alchemy 97
Pandimonium server - Rank 10 - Bastok

Zaela Rdm -- 35, Alchemy 45 -- Forced into retirement because I didn't have the right kind of credit card. Hope it was worth 18 bucks a month, SE.

#41 Jan 12 2011 at 11:31 PM Rating: Excellent
*
131 posts
Funny thing is, i just tried to look up any successful mmo's that offered lifetime subs and all i could find were threads on other sites with people praying that their mmo's don't offer it because they are "death sentences".
____________________________
Aurelius wrote:
I too recall the days of my childhood when an empty cardboard box and a little imagination could be one of the most entertaining things in the world. Of course, as my experiences evolved so too did my interests and my tastes in entertainment and while I could probably still find limited entertainment value in a large enough empty cardboard box, I certainly wouldn't pay someone a monthly fee for the privilege of access to it.
#42 Jan 13 2011 at 12:42 AM Rating: Good
Avatar
**
676 posts
I can see that a lifetime subscription pays for itself after a few years (I played FFXI on and off for at least four years) but im not sure I'd be ready to make such a commitment to FFXIV just yet. The main reason is because no one really knows how FFXIV will fare in a years time. I'll credit that SE are doing a solid job of addressing the concerns of their players, but with all the negativity surrounding the game, will it even still be here in 2 years time?

If I commit to a 'lifetime subscription' I need to know that the game im paying for will still be playable a few years down the line, otherwise it'd be cheaper to go with monthly subs.
____________________________

FFXI: Siren Server: Seiowan Lvl 99 WHM, SCH, BLM
FFXIV: Ragnarok Server: Lemuria Glitterhands All Classes 50
#43 Jan 13 2011 at 2:10 AM Rating: Decent
*
120 posts
ditx wrote:
Buying a lifetime subscription right now, would be like buying a half built villa in spain that's still "in construction".
Stupid.

The games future isn't stable enough for me to consider such a plunge, but maybe next year...



Not really a great analogy as people do this all the time as its cheaper and will be a new building and you will have seen the plans of the construction before you buy

Edited, Jan 13th 2011 3:10am by eruantienDraugole
____________________________


#44 Jan 13 2011 at 12:10 PM Rating: Decent
*
123 posts
KaneKitty wrote:
Hyanmen wrote:
Companies do this if they don't expect their playerbase to play more than a few years at most.


This.

A "lifetime subscription" option pretty much guarantees that game will either fail or go free-to-play within three years.

It's not much of a surprise: a company would never offer such an option unless they believed that they could turn a greater profit from ~$200 than from ~$15 per month. Doing the math, they are betting that people who buy a "lifetime subscription" will not stick around for more than 13 months -- that does not spell a lot of projected content. If the company were confident in their ability to keep any given player for years, such a payment method would not exist because it would cause them to lose money.

In short, a "lifetime subscription" option is little more than a quiet death knell, a signal of a company's lack of confidence in the longevity of their game.


I'm not sure about that. Most people stay in any new MMO only a few months at most. A lifetime subscription would be good for people you expect to be interested for awhile, but not more than a year or two. It also takes advantage of the "sale mentality" people have, a life time sub that only costs two years worth, sounds like a good deal, esp if you're really hyped about the game.

Plus you have to look at it like this: a lot of money now might have a little more value to a business than a little more money later. If you can get 50 people to bite on it, you've just payed a developer for a month. If you can get 5000 people to bite, you've just payed for roughly a month of development at a critical time for your business, release, when the game is trying to break even.
This forum is read only
This Forum is Read Only!
Recent Visitors: 20 All times are in CST
Anonymous Guests (20)