Forum Settings
       
This Forum is Read Only

Why I like this game and will continue to play it.Follow

#1 Jan 11 2011 at 2:27 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
Avatar
*
73 posts
After a few months of reading these forums, I finally came to a conclusion just the other day. The conclusion was: I like this game and will continue to play it. Now before anybody starts calling me a White Knight or a FANBOY, let me make it perfectly clear that I am well aware that this game is flawed and needs some serious attention to make it great. However, it is because of this awareness, and the reaction of the developers to it, that I am very hopeful for the future of this game. With that being said I would like to give a list of reasons why I really like this game:

1. The Graphics: OMG this game is gorgeous! Ok so a lot of the areas are just cut and pasted and look very similar, almost as if the designers didn't put a lot of effort into the aesthetic feel of the game. But, the opening movie alone has some of the best graphics I have ever seen in ANY video game. Furthermore, if the landscapes are a little repetitive, look at the details of your own character. Go ahead and do an emote and watch the expression on your face. I have not seen that kind of detail in an MMO before, and personally, I like it. After you do that emote, look at your gear and see how detailed that is. These are but a couple of examples of the beautiful design of this game.

2. The Job System: Ok, I admit it; when I first started playing, I hated the job system. However, once I realized how it worked and saw the possiblity of character customization, I jumped right onboard. The fact that I create my own ultimate tank by leveling certain jobs and thereby gaining access to its abilities, made me feel like I was in heaven. The fact that my Gladiator had Stoneskin and P. Barbs at rank 15 made me a very happy camper. So I have learned to embrace and enjoy the job system.

3. The Guildleve System: Granted, leves can be very repetitive, but they can also be very fun and sometimes even challenging. I remember the first time that I tried to complete Lightsome Verdure, A rank 30 leve @ Cedarwood, and I swore up and down that the leve was broken, there was no way to complete it. When I ranked up a few times, I realized that it was not broken, I just needed to be better prepared for it. This is what any MMO is all about to me; finding a challenge and defeating it. Besides the challenge, I also like the fact that leves give you something tangible to do in the game and sometimes give great rewards. Add in local leves and faction leves to the battlecraft leves and you can keep yourself busy ad infinitum.

4. Behest: Behests have become my favorite feature of this game. Not only is it an easy way to grab some quick SP, but it is also the most social element of the game. I have met more friends by joining random behest parties than in any other aspect of the game.

5. My Linkshell: I came over from the Phoenix server in FFXI with 5 pioneers from my linkshell there. Eventually, we found ourselves alone in Eorzea :( Well we all joined another Linkshell on Melmond, Tantalus, and now we have a great community. There is always someone to do leves with, always someone to help repair your gear, and, most important to me, there is always someone to talk to.

6. The Crafting System: Wait! You mean to tell me that in FFXIV you get XP for Crafting?!? That is awesome! In FFXI you would craft for hours on end praying for a skill up and get very little reward for your painstaking effort. In FFXIV you get an interesting (if not completely frustrating) minigame, skill points and XP. Furthermore if you level up your crafting jobs you can also create and repair your own equipment. For these reasons, and the fact that I was a crafting junkie in FFXI, I love the crafting system in this game.

These are just a few reasons that I really like this game. There are many more but I'm sure I dont have time to list them all. I would like to say that I have tried to keep this post as positive as possible. I have done this because I want people to play this game. Unfortunately if I was a prospective new player doing research on the game by perusing these forums, there is no way that I would play the game. There are just too many negative comments. I'm not saying that the negative comments aren't warranted, but I do feel that the negative comments vastly outweigh the positive ones. Therefore I just wanted to put this out there so those who are undecided don't think that everybody hates this game.
____________________________




#2 Jan 11 2011 at 2:58 PM Rating: Good
Edited by bsphil
******
21,739 posts
moemoe wrote:
1. The Graphics: OMG this game is gorgeous! Ok so a lot of the areas are just cut and pasted and look very similar, almost as if the designers didn't put a lot of effort into the aesthetic feel of the game. But, the opening movie alone has some of the best graphics I have ever seen in ANY video game. Furthermore, if the landscapes are a little repetitive, look at the details of your own character. Go ahead and do an emote and watch the expression on your face. I have not seen that kind of detail in an MMO before, and personally, I like it. After you do that emote, look at your gear and see how detailed that is. These are but a couple of examples of the beautiful design of this game.
At what cost? Even with moderate settings the game is a horrible stress on a mid-high range computer. The graphics can be very nice for characters, but the world is very bland. Most of the detail is in the characters, which is fine, but contrasted against the drastically different world seems to clash a bit much. And the opening movie? It's just that, a movie. Prerendered cutscenes hardly count as graphics, because in that case there are dozens of games with graphics just as nicely polished.

By the way, the one thing I really didn't like about the opening movie: there's no direction for the game. Compared against FFXI's opening cutscene, it blows FFXIV out of the water. In FFXI you have a clear opponent, you've defined the base of the storyline, and you have a purpose in the game. What's the FFXIV opening cutscene about? Doing random levequests. Woo.
____________________________
His Excellency Aethien wrote:
Almalieque wrote:
If no one debated with me, then I wouldn't post here anymore.
Take the hint guys, please take the hint.
gbaji wrote:
I'm not getting my news from anywhere Joph.
#3 Jan 11 2011 at 3:07 PM Rating: Good
***
3,416 posts
Quote:
By the way, the one thing I really didn't like about the opening movie: there's no direction for the game. Compared against FFXI's opening cutscene, it blows FFXIV out of the water. In FFXI you have a clear opponent, you've defined the base of the storyline, and you have a purpose in the game. What's the FFXIV opening cutscene about? Doing random levequests. Woo.


Wait, what? FFXI's opening cutscene was horribly done in relation to the game itself. I didn't have any idea what the city in question even was before very late to the game, and the cutscene doesn't even show us the explosion that ended the war..

Even more insane is that the only time we can even go to the place in question is a "safehold" miles from the actual city itself.... but hey, at least we can look at the pretty views from top of a hill.

And the explosion? It was in one of the WoTG CS's, how many years later? ...

You also seem to have forgotten half of the opening CS that tells more about the storyline and lore of XIV than the whole XI cs.

"Clear opponent" = The Garlean Empire (possibly the Primals as well)

"Base of the storyline" = Garleans are on the move, we need to find out more. Even most NPC's speak about this. XI? In 2-3 we get the first glimpse of the real vanilla story. "Something bad is about to happen, but we don't tell you what".

"Purpose in the game" = We have the ability to "see" the past as shown in the opening CS. In XI we just do the missions for some reason until Shadow Lord pops up, at which point we finally have a purpose.

They clearly tried to enforce the gameplay nature of the game in that CGI but honestly, it doesn't lose to XI's cutscene and even beats it in some parts (not the music though).

Edited, Jan 12th 2011 12:07am by Hyanmen
____________________________
SE:
Quote:
We really want to compete against World of Warcraft and for example the new Star Wars MMO.

#4 Jan 11 2011 at 3:19 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
*
180 posts
Thanks for sharing. Its always nice to hear someone's positive thoughts on the game. I agree with everything you said, and can't wait for the updates to come to make it even better.

Smiley: moogle
____________________________
FFXI: PLD BST BRD RDM SAM PUP


#5 Jan 11 2011 at 3:20 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
**
437 posts
OP, you get a rate up from me. You are spot on.

Glad to see someone around from Phoenix ;)
____________________________

Metin - Phoenix - BLM75 WHM48 Retired

http://cojenova.enjin.com/ff14forum

#6 Jan 11 2011 at 3:47 PM Rating: Good
*****
11,539 posts
Not that I'm disagreeing with anything, but I just wanted to point this out, based on another thread:

Notice how the first item on the list is "graphics", and gameplay features come AFTER that.

Players thinking graphics are the top priority are the reasons that games get developed where it's painfully obvious that graphics were -their- top priority.

I'm not saying that I disagree with the OP, he makes some good points and I don't really disagree with any of them. I'm just pointing out that today's gamers don't have their priorities straight and overrate graphics as the most important feature of the game.
____________________________
[ffxisig]55836[/ffxisig]

Mikhalia: and FWIW, my posts are 95% helpful, informative, or funny.
Mikhalia: only 5% or less of my posts are utter crap.
Tyapex: 393 posts of utter crap...
Mikhalia: Sounds about right.
#7 Jan 11 2011 at 4:31 PM Rating: Default
**
415 posts
Mikhalia the Picky wrote:
Not that I'm disagreeing with anything, but I just wanted to point this out, based on another thread:

Notice how the first item on the list is "graphics", and gameplay features come AFTER that.

Players thinking graphics are the top priority are the reasons that games get developed where it's painfully obvious that graphics were -their- top priority.

I'm not saying that I disagree with the OP, he makes some good points and I don't really disagree with any of them. I'm just pointing out that today's gamers don't have their priorities straight and overrate graphics as the most important feature of the game.

I dunno if I agree with that. I agree with most of OP's points as well, and I certainly don't prioritize graphics over anything. ****, Ragnarok Online is still one of my all-time favorite MMO's, right next to FFXI and vanilla WoW (expansions sucked).
#8 Jan 11 2011 at 4:36 PM Rating: Excellent
Scholar
*
179 posts
Mikhalia the Picky wrote:
Not that I'm disagreeing with anything, but I just wanted to point this out, based on another thread:

Notice how the first item on the list is "graphics", and gameplay features come AFTER that.

Players thinking graphics are the top priority are the reasons that games get developed where it's painfully obvious that graphics were -their- top priority.

I'm not saying that I disagree with the OP, he makes some good points and I don't really disagree with any of them. I'm just pointing out that today's gamers don't have their priorities straight and overrate graphics as the most important feature of the game.


In all fairness, newer FFs have always been about the graphics, of course sound and story generally were on the same level.

Running this game at near max settings on an Alienware rig, I must say that the graphics are simply stunning. The amount of detail is insane.

____________________________
FFXIV: Tebhi Liontamer 37 Elezen Marauder Besaid
FFXI: Luk 75 Hume Beastmaster Gilgamesh / Tehbst 85 Taru Beastmaster Ifrit
#9 Jan 11 2011 at 4:59 PM Rating: Decent
*****
11,539 posts
SoumaKyou wrote:
Mikhalia the Picky wrote:
Not that I'm disagreeing with anything, but I just wanted to point this out, based on another thread:

Notice how the first item on the list is "graphics", and gameplay features come AFTER that.

Players thinking graphics are the top priority are the reasons that games get developed where it's painfully obvious that graphics were -their- top priority.

I'm not saying that I disagree with the OP, he makes some good points and I don't really disagree with any of them. I'm just pointing out that today's gamers don't have their priorities straight and overrate graphics as the most important feature of the game.

I dunno if I agree with that. I agree with most of OP's points as well, and I certainly don't prioritize graphics over anything. ****, Ragnarok Online is still one of my all-time favorite MMO's, right next to FFXI and vanilla WoW (expansions sucked).


What I was saying was, notice how of all the points the OP made, the first point, the one with "1" next to it, was "Graphics".

I'm not saying graphics are or aren't important, just that they don't make or break a game in 99% of cases, and that in the grand scheme of all a game has to offer, graphics are not and should never be "1" on a list of bullet points.

I'm in agreement with you on the rest that I like RO, I liked FFXI, I liked WoW. I liked them because of the gameplay, because of the story, because they were fun. Graphics were nice, but irrelevant to the actual enjoyment of the game.

Mine is a gripe that too many of today's younger gamers look at graphics first and the game second, and are willing to dismiss a good game for no reason other than graphics just as they are to ignore all the glaring flaws in a game if they think it looks pretty.

Lukky wrote:
Mikhalia the Picky wrote:
Not that I'm disagreeing with anything, but I just wanted to point this out, based on another thread:

Notice how the first item on the list is "graphics", and gameplay features come AFTER that.

Players thinking graphics are the top priority are the reasons that games get developed where it's painfully obvious that graphics were -their- top priority.

I'm not saying that I disagree with the OP, he makes some good points and I don't really disagree with any of them. I'm just pointing out that today's gamers don't have their priorities straight and overrate graphics as the most important feature of the game.


In all fairness, newer FFs have always been about the graphics, of course sound and story generally were on the same level.

Running this game at near max settings on an Alienware rig, I must say that the graphics are simply stunning. The amount of detail is insane.


A lot of newer games, not just limited to FF games, are all about the graphics. Sound and story should not be on the same level as graphics though; story and gameplay should be #1. Sound and graphics should come -behind- that. It's nice if the graphics and sound are just as good as the meat and potatoes of the game, but graphics should not be a major selling point. Flashy graphics are just like a flashy car; if they have to brag about it, they're probably compensating for something.

I swear, when my kids grow up, I'm making them play NES and SNES for a few years before they're allowed to play anything made after 1990.
____________________________
[ffxisig]55836[/ffxisig]

Mikhalia: and FWIW, my posts are 95% helpful, informative, or funny.
Mikhalia: only 5% or less of my posts are utter crap.
Tyapex: 393 posts of utter crap...
Mikhalia: Sounds about right.
#10 Jan 11 2011 at 5:25 PM Rating: Excellent
**
286 posts
I'd like to add a few more positives and a couple of negatives to balance it out.

Positives

  • Teleports: Yes, you have to learn to manage your anima, but to give the ability to all players and not just to a single class of a certain rank is really nice. I was a whm main in FFXI, and I made a lot of gil doing teleports, but then I HAD to make a lot of gil to pay for spells, which brings me to my second point:
  • Free spells and abilities: For anyone who had to work for weeks to earn the gil for Erase (back in the day) or Utsusemi Ni, it is a joy to gain new abilities as a bonus for ranking up.
  • Gil is a non-issue: The leves are gil-generating machines and there are no spells or OMG-uber gear to spend gil on, so it keeps piling up. I'm not sure this is completely good, since it is always good to have something to work for, but over all, not having to worry about gil removes a big negative. And since gil is a non-issue, gil-sellers are also a non-issue for the most part.

Negatives
  • Not enough reason to grind: I list this as a negative because grinding is part of every RPG. It's the reason you come back every day. But right now, there's just not much external incentive to grind through any of the levels. Most of the players have experiences with other MMORPGs and other Final Fantasy titles, so they know that grinding is part of the game, but in most other games, there is a reward for grinding that is more than just getting to a higher level. In FFXI you had to get to lvl 18 to unlock subjobs, to lvl 20 to unlock chocobos, to lvl 30 to unlock advanced jobs, to lvl 65 to unlock Dynamis, and so on. Those incentives just aren't there yet. In FFXI the incentive for crafting was to get to a high enough level to be able to HQ to be able to make gil to be able to afford to buy 1337 gear. Since gil is not an issue, that external incentive to level crafting is gone. There is nothing inherent wrong with the incentives being internal, but somehow "ding. Rank 31." is not the same as "ding. you can now be a summoner."
  • System demands make partying difficult: I didn't buy a new computer to be able to run FFXIV, so I don't have 8 water-cooled processors with 16 GB of RAM and a video card that could render Avatar in 3D. This is fine for most everything in the game (okay, it might take a couple of minutes for the leve-givers in the Adventurer's Guild to appear, but that's a good time to go pee, right?) but the lag becomes really horrible when fighting, especially when fighting in a party. So I avoid parties, and as a result, I'm missing out on a goodly chunk of the game. It would be nice if there were a way for those of us with older computers to be able to really participate in party play.

You can tell from my signature that I play this game regularly, and I played FFXI long enough (I don't know, is six years long enough?) to know that the content--the missions, the quests, the end-game activities--will come and they will be good (for the most part) when they arrive. Still, knowing and doing are not the same thing, and I miss the doing.


____________________________
Tinyblackdragon, Tarutaru male, Windurst Rank 10 on Asura (formerly Tinydragon of Titan)
99whm/99smn/99blm/99sch/99rdm/99nin/99thf/99dnc/99cor/bst99
Cooking101/Fishing74/Wood51/Gold50/Smith28/Alchemy48/Bone43/Cloth31/Leather47
#11 Jan 11 2011 at 5:26 PM Rating: Decent
**
415 posts
Mikhalia the Picky wrote:
Mine is a gripe that too many of today's younger gamers look at graphics first and the game second, and are willing to dismiss a good game for no reason other than graphics just as they are to ignore all the glaring flaws in a game if they think it looks pretty.

Totally agree on this (in fact, it's one of my main arguments as to why so many people thought FF7 was any good). My vendetta against the neo-gaming kids who put graphics above everything else started with FF7. I think since it's been so long, I've taken to looking for other reasons why they like said games against my own opinions.
#12 Jan 11 2011 at 5:40 PM Rating: Excellent
Scholar
Avatar
*
73 posts
SoumaKyou wrote:
Mikhalia the Picky wrote:
Mine is a gripe that too many of today's younger gamers look at graphics first and the game second, and are willing to dismiss a good game for no reason other than graphics just as they are to ignore all the glaring flaws in a game if they think it looks pretty.

Totally agree on this (in fact, it's one of my main arguments as to why so many people thought FF7 was any good). My vendetta against the neo-gaming kids who put graphics above everything else started with FF7. I think since it's been so long, I've taken to looking for other reasons why they like said games against my own opinions.


Just to let all of you know; I am not a new generation gamer. I remember when PONG came out. I should have stated in my OP that my favorite things about the game weren't necessarily in order.
____________________________




#13 Jan 11 2011 at 5:41 PM Rating: Excellent
Scholar
**
437 posts
SoumaKyou wrote:
Mikhalia the Picky wrote:
Mine is a gripe that too many of today's younger gamers look at graphics first and the game second, and are willing to dismiss a good game for no reason other than graphics just as they are to ignore all the glaring flaws in a game if they think it looks pretty.

Totally agree on this (in fact, it's one of my main arguments as to why so many people thought FF7 was any good). My vendetta against the neo-gaming kids who put graphics above everything else started with FF7. I think since it's been so long, I've taken to looking for other reasons why they like said games against my own opinions.


Am I misunderstanding what you are saying or are you saying that people thought FF7 was good because of the graphics???

If you are saying this then you are completely insane.
____________________________

Metin - Phoenix - BLM75 WHM48 Retired

http://cojenova.enjin.com/ff14forum

#14 Jan 11 2011 at 5:46 PM Rating: Decent
**
415 posts
Metin wrote:
SoumaKyou wrote:
Mikhalia the Picky wrote:
Mine is a gripe that too many of today's younger gamers look at graphics first and the game second, and are willing to dismiss a good game for no reason other than graphics just as they are to ignore all the glaring flaws in a game if they think it looks pretty.

Totally agree on this (in fact, it's one of my main arguments as to why so many people thought FF7 was any good). My vendetta against the neo-gaming kids who put graphics above everything else started with FF7. I think since it's been so long, I've taken to looking for other reasons why they like said games against my own opinions.


Am I misunderstanding what you are saying or are you saying that people thought FF7 was good because of the graphics???

If you are saying this then you are completely insane.

I'm saying the graphics are the biggest reason it was so popular. Nothing insane about that. The subject of whether it was actually any good or not is a completely different argument, though I'll gladly argue against it in wide favor of FF6. Actually, I'd place FF7 at the middle of the pack. Not on top, not at the bottom.
#15 Jan 11 2011 at 5:55 PM Rating: Excellent
****
9,526 posts
I want to be a higher rank but the rewards of ranking up don't really motivate me... because there just are not a lot of them.

That said, I pretty much agree with the OP. I just want more. Like I want to know what these towers are:

Screenshot


I want to know who built them, what they do...

I want MORE of this game. It is a very good skeleton but I am getting tired of rattling the same old bones. Maybe I am just getting old.
____________________________
lolgaxe wrote:
When it comes to sitting around not doing anything for long periods of time, only being active for short windows, and marginal changes and sidegrades I'd say FFXI players were the perfect choice for politicians.


#16 Jan 11 2011 at 6:34 PM Rating: Excellent
Scholar
33 posts
Quote:
I swear, when my kids grow up, I'm making them play NES and SNES for a few years before they're allowed to play anything made after 1990.


What's crazy about this is that I have given my 6 year old options to play newer (kid friendly) games or older Sega/NES games and he actually prefers the older ones. The game play fits him better and he could care less about the graphics. It's awesome!

As for the graphics of XIV I have to admit they are pretty darn appealing. I play on the highest settings and I'm always stopping and admiring the detail all around me. Granted it shouldn't be the most important thing, but it sure sucks me in. Will it keep me? Not by itself. Content and gameplay definitely need to be on or above par with the graphics, but for now I am sticking around.
____________________________
FFXIV: Kaynel Daermon; Ultros
#17 Jan 11 2011 at 9:52 PM Rating: Decent
**
800 posts
At Mik; Who are you to say that players who prioritize graphics "don't have their priorities straight"? Last I checked that was a personal preference. You say good games don't need good graphics. Well that's your opinion. Who are you to say that someone's opinion that a good game DOES need good graphics is wrong? There are many days where my brain hurts when I come home from work. I don't always want to engage myself in a deeply intellectual story. Sometimes I just want pretty pictures.

If a game with great graphics and poor story sells better than a game with poor graphics but a great story... which is the better game? Do you honestly think a company could profit off a game with SNES era graphics today?


And finally,
Quote:
Flashy graphics are just like a flashy car; if they have to brag about it, they're probably compensating for something.

You brag about the story, characters, etc. of 8-bit games. Does that mean they're compensating for something as well?
#18 Jan 11 2011 at 10:24 PM Rating: Decent
*
75 posts
Hydragyrum wrote:

You brag about the story, characters, etc. of 8-bit games. Does that mean they're compensating for something as well?


No, and that's a horribly invalid analogy. I play a video game to utilize gameplay mechanics, and particularly in RPGs and MMORPGs I want a compelling story, highly interactive combat, crafting, and ancillary mechanics that require strategy, and intuitive UIs. If I want to look at ******* pretty pictures, I'll watch a God **** anime or a Stanley Kubrick movie. When I play a video game, I want to be having fun playing a video game.
#19 Jan 11 2011 at 10:31 PM Rating: Decent
*
75 posts
Olorinus the Vile wrote:

I want MORE of this game. It is a very good skeleton but I am getting tired of rattling the same old bones. Maybe I am just getting old.


I agree completely, and always thought Tanaka was a sacrificial lamb. This game has a good foundation, the developers simply needed more time to develop content, or SE should have invested more by hiring additional staff to create content within the allotted time frame.
#20 Jan 11 2011 at 10:39 PM Rating: Good
Sage
***
1,675 posts
Hydragyrum wrote:
At Mik; Who are you to say that players who prioritize graphics "don't have their priorities straight"? Last I checked that was a personal preference. You say good games don't need good graphics. Well that's your opinion. Who are you to say that someone's opinion that a good game DOES need good graphics is wrong? There are many days where my brain hurts when I come home from work. I don't always want to engage myself in a deeply intellectual story. Sometimes I just want pretty pictures.

If a game with great graphics and poor story sells better than a game with poor graphics but a great story... which is the better game? Do you honestly think a company could profit off a game with SNES era graphics today?


And finally,
Quote:
Flashy graphics are just like a flashy car; if they have to brag about it, they're probably compensating for something.

You brag about the story, characters, etc. of 8-bit games. Does that mean they're compensating for something as well?



Not to throw a wrench in your argument but a lot of iphone games and xbox arcade games are doing very well.

In any case, I want nice graphics (my cake) and (eat it too) a good story . FFXIV has both of those things. SE just needs to flesh them out a bit.
#21 Jan 12 2011 at 3:00 AM Rating: Default
****
6,898 posts
HardHotThrobbingAetherite wrote:
Hydragyrum wrote:

You brag about the story, characters, etc. of 8-bit games. Does that mean they're compensating for something as well?


No, and that's a horribly invalid analogy. I play a video game to utilize gameplay mechanics, and particularly in RPGs and MMORPGs I want a compelling story, highly interactive combat, crafting, and ancillary mechanics that require strategy, and intuitive UIs. If I want to look at @#%^ing pretty pictures, I'll watch a God **** anime or a Stanley Kubrick movie. When I play a video game, I want to be having fun playing a video game.


You actually just validated his analogy w/ your post... you do not speak for the entire gaming community, nor does anyone else here. I'm glad that's what you like, other people are entitled to like different aspects. Personally, as a Computer Artist, I love seeing the latest graphics and most powerful gaming engines. I wouldn't rate it ABOVE story or gameplay, and a lot of my favorite games ARE nes/snes games w/o all the bells and whistles, but you can't discount someones opinion simply because you disagree with it.
____________________________
Bartel Hayward--- Ultros Server
The Kraken Club <ZAM>
50 WAR • 50 MNK • 50 MIN • 50 GSM • 50 ARM • 50 LTW • 50 CUL • 50 WVR
thekrakenclub.shivtr.com
#22 Jan 12 2011 at 3:56 AM Rating: Good
***
2,535 posts
Mikhalia the Picky wrote:
I swear, when my kids grow up, I'm making them play NES and SNES for a few years before they're allowed to play anything made after 1990.


Gonna be pretty hard to find SNES games that aren't made after 1990. :p
#23 Jan 12 2011 at 4:42 AM Rating: Excellent
Scholar
**
437 posts
SoumaKyou wrote:
Metin wrote:
SoumaKyou wrote:
Mikhalia the Picky wrote:
Mine is a gripe that too many of today's younger gamers look at graphics first and the game second, and are willing to dismiss a good game for no reason other than graphics just as they are to ignore all the glaring flaws in a game if they think it looks pretty.

Totally agree on this (in fact, it's one of my main arguments as to why so many people thought FF7 was any good). My vendetta against the neo-gaming kids who put graphics above everything else started with FF7. I think since it's been so long, I've taken to looking for other reasons why they like said games against my own opinions.


Am I misunderstanding what you are saying or are you saying that people thought FF7 was good because of the graphics???

If you are saying this then you are completely insane.

I'm saying the graphics are the biggest reason it was so popular. Nothing insane about that. The subject of whether it was actually any good or not is a completely different argument, though I'll gladly argue against it in wide favor of FF6. Actually, I'd place FF7 at the middle of the pack. Not on top, not at the bottom.


Final Fantasy has always been at the cutting edge on the graphical front but I look upon FF7 as the exception to this. I nearly didn't play it because it looks so sh*t. I nearly quit playing it because it looked so sh*t. That was me being shallow. The reason it is so popular is because of the gameplay, the story, the characters, the emotion, listen to anyones reasoning as to why it is the greatest game ever made and graphics will never get a mention. I also rate 6 very highly for all the same reasons, the esper system was awesome, the characters, story, emotion, full on epicness throughout. To say that people looking at gaming superficially started with FF7 could not be wider from the mark. It sets the standard in EVERY other area and still does in my opinion. People have been superficial since Adam realised he was naked.
____________________________

Metin - Phoenix - BLM75 WHM48 Retired

http://cojenova.enjin.com/ff14forum

#24 Jan 12 2011 at 5:02 AM Rating: Good
45 posts
Metin wrote:
SoumaKyou wrote:
Metin wrote:
SoumaKyou wrote:
Mikhalia the Picky wrote:
Mine is a gripe that too many of today's younger gamers look at graphics first and the game second, and are willing to dismiss a good game for no reason other than graphics just as they are to ignore all the glaring flaws in a game if they think it looks pretty.

Totally agree on this (in fact, it's one of my main arguments as to why so many people thought FF7 was any good). My vendetta against the neo-gaming kids who put graphics above everything else started with FF7. I think since it's been so long, I've taken to looking for other reasons why they like said games against my own opinions.


Am I misunderstanding what you are saying or are you saying that people thought FF7 was good because of the graphics???

If you are saying this then you are completely insane.

I'm saying the graphics are the biggest reason it was so popular. Nothing insane about that. The subject of whether it was actually any good or not is a completely different argument, though I'll gladly argue against it in wide favor of FF6. Actually, I'd place FF7 at the middle of the pack. Not on top, not at the bottom.


Final Fantasy has always been at the cutting edge on the graphical front but I look upon FF7 as the exception to this. I nearly didn't play it because it looks so sh*t. I nearly quit playing it because it looked so sh*t. That was me being shallow. The reason it is so popular is because of the gameplay, the story, the characters, the emotion, listen to anyones reasoning as to why it is the greatest game ever made and graphics will never get a mention. I also rate 6 very highly for all the same reasons, the esper system was awesome, the characters, story, emotion, full on epicness throughout. To say that people looking at gaming superficially started with FF7 could not be wider from the mark. It sets the standard in EVERY other area and still does in my opinion. People have been superficial since Adam realised he was naked.


Excellent post, Metin. +10 internets. :)

I really don't understand the logic (or lack, thereof) of people who say that FF7 only gets love for it's graphics. Ludicrous, especially seeing as how decades after it's released FF7 is still on the top of the most loved by fans FF list. Although in some parts it was quite pretty imo (I loved the Ancients' Forest) It wasn't exactly full of superdy-duper big time graphical pictures. When people talk about FF7 today, they talk about the characters, the story, and the emotion behind it all.

If being pretty was enough to endear a Final Fantasy game to people's hearts, FF14 would be more successful than WoW.
#25 Jan 12 2011 at 8:46 AM Rating: Excellent
*****
11,539 posts
Hydragyrum wrote:
At Mik; Who are you to say that players who prioritize graphics "don't have their priorities straight"? Last I checked that was a personal preference. You say good games don't need good graphics. Well that's your opinion. Who are you to say that someone's opinion that a good game DOES need good graphics is wrong? There are many days where my brain hurts when I come home from work. I don't always want to engage myself in a deeply intellectual story. Sometimes I just want pretty pictures.

If a game with great graphics and poor story sells better than a game with poor graphics but a great story... which is the better game? Do you honestly think a company could profit off a game with SNES era graphics today?


And finally,
Quote:
Flashy graphics are just like a flashy car; if they have to brag about it, they're probably compensating for something.

You brag about the story, characters, etc. of 8-bit games. Does that mean they're compensating for something as well?


High quality graphics are like a beautiful woman. Sure, it's preferable to bad graphics, but the more important thing is what's underneath. If the looks is all she has and the personality is terrible, marrying her for looks is a terrible idea. Similarly, good graphics are obviously preferred to bad graphics, but good graphics do not compensate for lack of gameplay. If you want good graphics with no gameplay, watch a movie.

To answer your question, "If a game with great graphics and poor story sells better than a game with poor graphics but a great story... which is the better game?" The latter is -still- the better game. As for whether a company could profit off of SNES graphics? Yes, they could. The Wii store sells classic NES and SNES games. Cell phone games aren't super graphics heavy. Lunar Silver Star Harmony is a re-release of a game from PS1 which was in turn a remake of a Sega CD game and it is selling for the PSP. Yes, the graphics are updated somewhat, but the reason the game is great is because of the story.

Now I'm not saying I'm against re-releasing older games with newer graphics; I think that's a pretty cool thing. But an old game with bad gameplay and bad graphics will not suddenly be a great game if ONLY the graphics are improved. Much like the paint job on a car, if everything under the hood isn't working right, it doesn't matter how shiny it is.

But then, some people are content to put spinners and undercarriage lights on junkers, so I guess that just goes to show that some people care more about looks than performance. Good for them. Just means they don't have their priorities straight.

BastokFL wrote:
Mikhalia the Picky wrote:
I swear, when my kids grow up, I'm making them play NES and SNES for a few years before they're allowed to play anything made after 1990.


Gonna be pretty hard to find SNES games that aren't made after 1990. :p


Touché.

Olorinus the Vile wrote:
I want to be a higher rank but the rewards of ranking up don't really motivate me... because there just are not a lot of them.

That said, I pretty much agree with the OP. I just want more. Like I want to know what these towers are:

Screenshot


I want to know who built them, what they do...

I want MORE of this game. It is a very good skeleton but I am getting tired of rattling the same old bones. Maybe I am just getting old.


As I recall, there was once one conversation I had with Olor where I had to fight tooth and nail to find SOMETHING she didn't like in this game. Once she starts complaining about FFXIV, that raises my eyebrows a bit.
____________________________
[ffxisig]55836[/ffxisig]

Mikhalia: and FWIW, my posts are 95% helpful, informative, or funny.
Mikhalia: only 5% or less of my posts are utter crap.
Tyapex: 393 posts of utter crap...
Mikhalia: Sounds about right.
#26 Jan 12 2011 at 8:55 AM Rating: Decent
**
821 posts
Quote:
At what cost? Even with moderate settings the game is a horrible stress on a mid-high range computer. The graphics can be very nice for characters, but the world is very bland. Most of the detail is in the characters, which is fine, but contrasted against the drastically different world seems to clash a bit much. And the opening movie? It's just that, a movie. Prerendered cutscenes hardly count as graphics, because in that case there are dozens of games with graphics just as nicely polished.

By the way, the one thing I really didn't like about the opening movie: there's no direction for the game. Compared against FFXI's opening cutscene, it blows FFXIV out of the water. In FFXI you have a clear opponent, you've defined the base of the storyline, and you have a purpose in the game. What's the FFXIV opening cutscene about? Doing random levequests. Woo.


Did you watch the opening cutscene of FFXIV for real?

Cause it does show you the direction for the story...the opening isn't about Leves at all...the main point is, when he is about to choose one of the leves, he is having an "echo" of the past and the whole incident between the garlean empire and whatever force it was that tried to stop them.

Entering Mor Dhona and seeing that big serpent-like dragon spraled around that airship that crashed is giving you that sort of feeling "I really want to know more about this", cause it references directly to the opening cutscene.

So yeah, I can see your point...and I agree that the opening cutscene of FFXI was better overall, but the opening cutscene of FFXIV points directly at the story...the only mistake here by SE is...once again...the content is not enough to provide that story...cause there are huge parts still missing. Just imagine several little quests that will bring you the story behind the Ala Mighan fall more close, or how the garlean empire invaded or how that huge battle back in the past was inititated etc etc...and just...normal quests like the ones in FFXI, that will bring you the world closer to mind...that's what is missing in FFXIV right now more than anything else...the world is full of sh*t, it's just not "shown" to the player...which makes the world an almost empty jar, filled with a bit of earth, but the seeds to bring it to life are just missing.

Edited, Jan 12th 2011 2:57pm by Shezard

Edited, Jan 12th 2011 3:12pm by Shezard
#27 Jan 12 2011 at 9:07 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
**
812 posts
Mikhalia the Picky wrote:
Not that I'm disagreeing with anything, but I just wanted to point this out, based on another thread:

Notice how the first item on the list is "graphics", and gameplay features come AFTER that.

Players thinking graphics are the top priority are the reasons that games get developed where it's painfully obvious that graphics were -their- top priority.

I'm not saying that I disagree with the OP, he makes some good points and I don't really disagree with any of them. I'm just pointing out that today's gamers don't have their priorities straight and overrate graphics as the most important feature of the game.

It makes perfect sense to me, the graphics are the very first thing that gets noticed in any game.
____________________________
Abaddon Active Player Roster
- All your Fabul Sever are belong to us! -


#28 Jan 12 2011 at 9:10 AM Rating: Decent
**
821 posts
I don't think that graphics are mentioned in regards to FFXIV first cause it has the highest priority, but it is the one thing that everybody agrees is w/o competition in the MMORPG sector right now.
#29 Jan 12 2011 at 9:29 AM Rating: Good
*****
11,539 posts
Shezard wrote:
I don't think that graphics are mentioned in regards to FFXIV first cause it has the highest priority, but it is the one thing that everybody agrees is w/o competition in the MMORPG sector right now.


If that's the case, then considering all of the competing games out there with worse graphics that are doing better than FFXIV, wouldn't that just further reinforce my point that "good graphics do not make up for bad gameplay"? Of course there are times when some people will play a game with great graphics and look past a lack of content under the surface; apparently this is not one of them.

I don't personally feel that the graphics are the -only- redeeming feature of FFXIV; the game has much more to it than just a pretty face. It's just a little lacking. Kinda like a hot girl who loves to watch sports and play video games and hang out with you, she offers to pay for the meals half the time and she doesn't expect you to take her shopping all the time. If she'd only shut the **** up about Twilight, she'd be totally worth spending 15 dollars a month on.

God, my analogies are taking on a life or their own now.
____________________________
[ffxisig]55836[/ffxisig]

Mikhalia: and FWIW, my posts are 95% helpful, informative, or funny.
Mikhalia: only 5% or less of my posts are utter crap.
Tyapex: 393 posts of utter crap...
Mikhalia: Sounds about right.
#30 Jan 12 2011 at 9:42 AM Rating: Excellent
*
130 posts
moemoe wrote:


5. My Linkshell: I came over from the Phoenix server in FFXI with 5 pioneers from my linkshell there. Eventually, we found ourselves alone in Eorzea :( Well we all joined another Linkshell on Melmond, Tantalus, and now we have a great community. There is always someone to do leves with, always someone to help repair your gear, and, most important to me, there is always someone to talk to.



Hi Winston,

I can't agree more than you on that point ;-D. Our LS is full of nice people trying to make the best out of the game without having 'I got to be the best' mindset. As for me and about the thread, my conclusion is that I like the game (I'm not going to go into details as the reason why) but, as I said in the LS chat, I am just getting bored of doing the same things over and over again (leves/craft/behest). I had a lot of fun doing (finally) another storyline mission even though it was just travelling but seeing some CS and exploring the area I was went to was refreshing to me. I just can't wait for more content (again, different content, not 'new' leves, something to do apart from leves). I do not need to be rank50 asap, I simply need to have fun when I'm playing!
____________________________

yfaithfully wrote:
To add to those, if you can get this DeLorean up to 88 MPH, you'll be able to play this game in 2019 when they've finally implemented mounts.

#31 Jan 12 2011 at 9:44 AM Rating: Good
*
222 posts
Mikhalia the Picky wrote:
Shezard wrote:
I don't think that graphics are mentioned in regards to FFXIV first cause it has the highest priority, but it is the one thing that everybody agrees is w/o competition in the MMORPG sector right now.


If that's the case, then considering all of the competing games out there with worse graphics that are doing better than FFXIV, wouldn't that just further reinforce my point that "good graphics do not make up for bad gameplay"? Of course there are times when some people will play a game with great graphics and look past a lack of content under the surface; apparently this is not one of them.

I don't personally feel that the graphics are the -only- redeeming feature of FFXIV; the game has much more to it than just a pretty face. It's just a little lacking. Kinda like a hot girl who loves to watch sports and play video games and hang out with you, she offers to pay for the meals half the time and she doesn't expect you to take her shopping all the time. If she'd only shut the **** up about Twilight, she'd be totally worth spending 15 dollars a month on.

God, my analogies are taking on a life or their own now.

This is how I feel about FFXIV, it is so close to being there.
____________________________


#32 Jan 12 2011 at 10:16 AM Rating: Good
****
9,526 posts
Carmillia wrote:
As for me and about the thread, my conclusion is that I like the game (I'm not going to go into details as the reason why) but, as I said in the LS chat, I am just getting bored of doing the same things over and over again (leves/craft/behest). I had a lot of fun doing (finally) another storyline mission even though it was just travelling but seeing some CS and exploring the area I was went to was refreshing to me. I just can't wait for more content (again, different content, not 'new' leves, something to do apart from leves). I do not need to be rank50 asap, I simply need to have fun when I'm playing!


Yeah this times 1 million. I actually really love this game but I need some variety fast or I am going to stop loving it. I mean doing leves and behest till 50 and nothing but? If there was a chains of promathia type mission I could do at R30 I would be SO HAPPY. That is just a few ranks away and then I would have a CHALLENGE to complete.
____________________________
lolgaxe wrote:
When it comes to sitting around not doing anything for long periods of time, only being active for short windows, and marginal changes and sidegrades I'd say FFXI players were the perfect choice for politicians.


#33 Jan 12 2011 at 11:43 AM Rating: Decent
Mikhalia the Picky wrote:
Shezard wrote:
I don't think that graphics are mentioned in regards to FFXIV first cause it has the highest priority, but it is the one thing that everybody agrees is w/o competition in the MMORPG sector right now.


If that's the case, then considering all of the competing games out there with worse graphics that are doing better than FFXIV, wouldn't that just further reinforce my point that "good graphics do not make up for bad gameplay"? Of course there are times when some people will play a game with great graphics and look past a lack of content under the surface; apparently this is not one of them.

I don't personally feel that the graphics are the -only- redeeming feature of FFXIV; the game has much more to it than just a pretty face. It's just a little lacking. Kinda like a hot girl who loves to watch sports and play video games and hang out with you, she offers to pay for the meals half the time and she doesn't expect you to take her shopping all the time. If she'd only shut the **** up about Twilight, she'd be totally worth spending 15 dollars a month on.

God, my analogies are taking on a life or their own now.


L. O. L.


Edited, Jan 12th 2011 12:44pm by StateAlchemist2
____________________________
Humankind cannot gain anything without first giving something in return. To obtain, something of equal value must be lost.
Data Center: Primal; Server: Ultros; Free Company: The Kraken Club; Grand Company: The Maelstrom; Chocobo: Kweh
#34 Jan 12 2011 at 11:48 AM Rating: Excellent
Scholar
*
62 posts
Best of luck to FFXIV, alas I havent logged on in 3 days, think my interest is finally over :( Was hoping there would be some announcent or something so I keep checking the forums but Im at the point where I have 16 levequests available and no motivation to do them so it looks like im out for now! I still think this game has great potential though, honestly I think im losing interest in MMORPGs in general its not just FFXIV. Still lurking around though as Ive changed my mind before.

Edited, Jan 12th 2011 12:49pm by Adrenry
#35 Jan 12 2011 at 11:53 AM Rating: Decent
**
415 posts
Metin wrote:
Final Fantasy has always been at the cutting edge on the graphical front but I look upon FF7 as the exception to this. I nearly didn't play it because it looks so sh*t. I nearly quit playing it because it looked so sh*t. That was me being shallow. The reason it is so popular is because of the gameplay, the story, the characters, the emotion, listen to anyones reasoning as to why it is the greatest game ever made and graphics will never get a mention. I also rate 6 very highly for all the same reasons, the esper system was awesome, the characters, story, emotion, full on epicness throughout. To say that people looking at gaming superficially started with FF7 could not be wider from the mark. It sets the standard in EVERY other area and still does in my opinion. People have been superficial since Adam realised he was naked.

This is completely BS. When did you first play FF7? When it was released, it was at the forefront of graphics. It was the first Final Fantasy in 3D, and it was considered to have some of the best graphics of its time. Can you really honestly tell me that if FF7 was made on the SNES, that it would be nearly as popular as it is now? No, because FF6 already did everything FF7 does, but better. Greatest game ever made? **** no.

SasukeYuchiha wrote:

Excellent post, Metin. +10 internets. :)

I really don't understand the logic (or lack, thereof) of people who say that FF7 only gets love for it's graphics. Ludicrous, especially seeing as how decades after it's released FF7 is still on the top of the most loved by fans FF list. Although in some parts it was quite pretty imo (I loved the Ancients' Forest) It wasn't exactly full of superdy-duper big time graphical pictures. When people talk about FF7 today, they talk about the characters, the story, and the emotion behind it all.

If being pretty was enough to endear a Final Fantasy game to people's hearts, FF14 would be more successful than WoW.

It's still at the top because it was most people's first Final Fantasy. Everyone knows that most people get the biggest sense of attachment to their first anything. And like I said, FF7's graphics were top notch in its time. Obviously if you compare it to today's graphics, it looks like crap. That's not the point. Everyone will try to justify everything in the game that they've grown the most attached to. A first-time MMORPG player whose first MMO was FFXIV would probably say it had amazing gameplay and storyline, even though we all know they're wrong.

Edited, Jan 12th 2011 12:58pm by SoumaKyou
#36 Jan 12 2011 at 12:52 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
**
437 posts
I was talking about it as at the time, it never tickled my taste buds. Games like Wipeout 2097 (1996/1997), Tomb Raider (1996), Goldeneye (1997) and Ocarina of Time (1998) would be the graphically appealing games of its era. FF7(1997) was a FAKE 3D game, with cleverly layered 2D backrops. In its day I nearly didnt play it and nearly missed it.

But back to the main point and the visuals in XIV are a positive, but they are what they are. Graphics. They are by definition superficial. They usually appear first because... theyre the first thing you notice. seems obvious to me. But gladly the OP returned to clarify this as not being in order of importance.
____________________________

Metin - Phoenix - BLM75 WHM48 Retired

http://cojenova.enjin.com/ff14forum

#37 Jan 12 2011 at 6:17 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
2,426 posts
try turning the drawing quality way down and see how much fun you have, its a good little experiment.

I tried it last night and actually ended up enjoying the game more despite it's now ps2-level visuals. No more out of sync combat abilities. Yeah i need to upgrade my gfx card. Point is that, for me, i didn't really mind the loss in graphical quality since it made the game more playable.
____________________________
monk
dragoon

This forum is read only
This Forum is Read Only!
Recent Visitors: 26 All times are in CST
Anonymous Guests (26)