After a few months of reading these forums, I finally came to a conclusion just the other day. The conclusion was: I like this game and will continue to play it. Now before anybody starts calling me a White Knight or a FANBOY, let me make it perfectly clear that I am well aware that this game is flawed and needs some serious attention to make it great. However, it is because of this awareness, and the reaction of the developers to it, that I am very hopeful for the future of this game. With that being said I would like to give a list of reasons why I really like this game:
1. The Graphics: OMG this game is gorgeous! Ok so a lot of the areas are just cut and pasted and look very similar, almost as if the designers didn't put a lot of effort into the aesthetic feel of the game. But, the opening movie alone has some of the best graphics I have ever seen in ANY video game. Furthermore, if the landscapes are a little repetitive, look at the details of your own character. Go ahead and do an emote and watch the expression on your face. I have not seen that kind of detail in an MMO before, and personally, I like it. After you do that emote, look at your gear and see how detailed that is. These are but a couple of examples of the beautiful design of this game.
2. The Job System: Ok, I admit it; when I first started playing, I hated the job system. However, once I realized how it worked and saw the possiblity of character customization, I jumped right onboard. The fact that I create my own ultimate tank by leveling certain jobs and thereby gaining access to its abilities, made me feel like I was in heaven. The fact that my Gladiator had Stoneskin and P. Barbs at rank 15 made me a very happy camper. So I have learned to embrace and enjoy the job system.
3. The Guildleve System: Granted, leves can be very repetitive, but they can also be very fun and sometimes even challenging. I remember the first time that I tried to complete Lightsome Verdure, A rank 30 leve @ Cedarwood, and I swore up and down that the leve was broken, there was no way to complete it. When I ranked up a few times, I realized that it was not broken, I just needed to be better prepared for it. This is what any MMO is all about to me; finding a challenge and defeating it. Besides the challenge, I also like the fact that leves give you something tangible to do in the game and sometimes give great rewards. Add in local leves and faction leves to the battlecraft leves and you can keep yourself busy ad infinitum.
4. Behest: Behests have become my favorite feature of this game. Not only is it an easy way to grab some quick SP, but it is also the most social element of the game. I have met more friends by joining random behest parties than in any other aspect of the game.
5. My Linkshell: I came over from the Phoenix server in FFXI with 5 pioneers from my linkshell there. Eventually, we found ourselves alone in Eorzea :( Well we all joined another Linkshell on Melmond, Tantalus, and now we have a great community. There is always someone to do leves with, always someone to help repair your gear, and, most important to me, there is always someone to talk to.
6. The Crafting System: Wait! You mean to tell me that in FFXIV you get XP for Crafting?!? That is awesome! In FFXI you would craft for hours on end praying for a skill up and get very little reward for your painstaking effort. In FFXIV you get an interesting (if not completely frustrating) minigame, skill points and XP. Furthermore if you level up your crafting jobs you can also create and repair your own equipment. For these reasons, and the fact that I was a crafting junkie in FFXI, I love the crafting system in this game.
These are just a few reasons that I really like this game. There are many more but I'm sure I dont have time to list them all. I would like to say that I have tried to keep this post as positive as possible. I have done this because I want people to play this game. Unfortunately if I was a prospective new player doing research on the game by perusing these forums, there is no way that I would play the game. There are just too many negative comments. I'm not saying that the negative comments aren't warranted, but I do feel that the negative comments vastly outweigh the positive ones. Therefore I just wanted to put this out there so those who are undecided don't think that everybody hates this game.