Forum Settings
       
This Forum is Read Only

"I have ALL the mats"Follow

#1 Jan 14 2011 at 10:44 AM Rating: Excellent
***
2,120 posts
"I have ALL the mats"
A simple, to-the-point phrase that sounds good on the surface, but apparently has many different meanings to different people. I hear that and I'm thinking "Alright, I just have to do 1 synth for this person"(perhaps more to make the parts that no one sells). Sadly, it could have a wide range of other meanings from "a mat or two is missing from your particular craft" to the inspiration for this thread:

What "I have ALL the mats" does not mean...
For a Canvas Acton(Blue) I'm gonna give you cotton bolls so you can make the yarn to use with these dyes I bought(but not all the dyes, didn't notice that kind was needed too). Also, let's teleport to Grid because that's where the rest of the mats are. Here's all the mats for the canvas chest guard...why are you switching to LW? Oh that's a LW recipe? I could've done that myself as I'm a LW, sorry 'bout that. Now lemme go buy that dye I forgot, oh you already had some, awesome! Here's the rest of the mats...oops, you need wolf fur, not a hide, brb! [15 Minutes Later] Here it is!...Oooh a +1, awesome! Thanks so much for helping, I'm off to grind...

[2 Minutes Later] Wait, while you're here can I get some repairs?Smiley: glare

True story, no names needed as the dude was having a horrible night/morning and so instead of raging or somethin' I'll turn the experience into a thread so I can vent and hopefully get some laughs.(The item in question was also changed to another of equal or lesser valueSmiley: grin) And people wonder why all crafters aren't fighting over the opportunity to help them outSmiley: lol

Anyway, feel free to share any experiences regarding this kind of situation. Also...

What does "I have ALL the mats" usually mean to you?(A semi-serious poll)
Exactly what it says, what else could it mean??:76 (72.4%)
I pretty much have all the mats, the missing items are something the crafter probably has plenty of anyway:13 (12.4%)
I thought I did, but the recipe database I was looking at had the recipe wrong!:4 (3.8%)
Hmm, blame the recipe database, yea that's the excuse I'll use:3 (2.9%)
Pfft, I said that to sucker you into saying yes. I don't have time to do all that other crap, I just want the shiny. You can go shopping for the missing mats too because you're a sucke...i mean a nice, friendly person:9 (8.6%)
Total:105





____________________________

#2 Jan 14 2011 at 10:50 AM Rating: Excellent
**
415 posts
"I have ALL the mats" means I'm crafting it myself.
#3 Jan 14 2011 at 10:54 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
**
523 posts
I am guessing someone sent you over the edge when they gave you 4/5 mats for a synth?

I would have just traded them all back and told them you don't have the last material.

/shrug.
#4 Jan 14 2011 at 10:57 AM Rating: Excellent
1 post
Have made the mistake of offering my crafting services in another game before.

"Yes, it really does take an hour to turn your raw mats into an item, yes it does cost half a mill for the mats from the NPC, no I'm not buying them for you, they're not 'included in my fee', no, I can't guarentee you'll get a greater output item. No, no other crafters can either. You know what? Yes, yes I am trying to scam you, now get out of my ******* workshop."

#5 Jan 14 2011 at 10:58 AM Rating: Excellent
This is both funny and sad because I've watched the train wreck happen to you on multiple ocassions...I picked "Exactly what it means", but you know I never come less than correct.
#6 Jan 14 2011 at 10:58 AM Rating: Good
Sage
**
534 posts
Exactly why I will not have a crafter make something for me. I fear I may say something stupid or not have the right materials. I also feel like I would be bothering them by asking for help. They always seem so busy.

But all mats means all mats...imo.
____________________________
Amos Fin - Ultros

#7 Jan 14 2011 at 11:02 AM Rating: Good
***
1,608 posts
SoumaKyou wrote:
"I have ALL the mats" means I'm crafting it myself.

^ Anytime when someone tries to request a commission from me it either is like what OP describes or they say "I have none of the mats, can you please get them for me?". Latter isn't a problem most of the time, I keep **** near everything and would rather use my own unless I happen to be out. The things I don't have are either very tedious or difficult to obtain, which I just say SoL.
____________________________

#8 Jan 14 2011 at 11:04 AM Rating: Good
Avatar
***
1,330 posts
This is a major reason why I don't do any commissions except for friends and linkshell mates.
#9 Jan 14 2011 at 11:09 AM Rating: Excellent
WTF... why didn't Mik make this poll... Oh because he rarely plays!

Seriously I picked the first option. If you tell me you have everything, you have everything. If you don't and you're not in my LS I'm walking away.
____________________________
FFXI:Sylph - Perrin 75 Hume THF; Retired (At least from my use any way)
EVE Online:ScraperX; Retired
WAR:IronClaw- Peryn SW;SkullThrone- Grymloc BO; Retired


#10 Jan 14 2011 at 11:14 AM Rating: Excellent
*****
11,539 posts
PerrinofSylph, ****** Superhero wrote:
WTF... why didn't Mik make this poll... Oh because he rarely plays!

Seriously I picked the first option. If you tell me you have everything, you have everything. If you don't and you're not in my LS I'm walking away.


Because I don't craft :P

And if you ask me, "I have ALL the mats" ought to mean "Assuming you're completely naked except for your class tool, I have everything you need to make this item without moving from the spot you're in".
____________________________
[ffxisig]55836[/ffxisig]

Mikhalia: and FWIW, my posts are 95% helpful, informative, or funny.
Mikhalia: only 5% or less of my posts are utter crap.
Tyapex: 393 posts of utter crap...
Mikhalia: Sounds about right.
#11 Jan 14 2011 at 11:16 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
**
260 posts
I did pick the second option BUT I always approach the crafter up front (on the rare occasion I need something I can't make myself) and make sure they know to add that into their fee (stuff like dodo straps and the like)

-Teeg
____________________________
Why do gnats drop rat tails and lemurs drop gnat wings?
#12 Jan 14 2011 at 11:17 AM Rating: Good
***
1,636 posts
to me it means, I have everything, aside from a few things that the same crafter would be able to make himself (though not something as silly as cotton bolls). I'd be upfront about how many total synths it would take.
____________________________


#13 Jan 14 2011 at 11:21 AM Rating: Excellent
Scholar
**
259 posts
I am very very very hesitant to make anything that has chainmail in it for others. I dont think many realize how many synths are involved to make a simple chainmail item.

Ore>Nugget>Ingot>Wire>Rings>Chain>Chain-Sleeves>Final Item.

For the most part, I only keep nuggets on my retainer. Trying to keep stocked up on all miscellaneous materials is too demanding on my inventory space.
#14 Jan 14 2011 at 11:27 AM Rating: Excellent
*****
11,539 posts
Sigmakan wrote:
I am very very very hesitant to make anything that has chainmail in it for others. I dont think many realize how many synths are involved to make a simple chainmail item.

Ore>Nugget>Ingot>Wire>Rings>Chain>Chain-Sleeves>Final Item.

For the most part, I only keep nuggets on my retainer. Trying to keep stocked up on all miscellaneous materials is too demanding on my inventory space.


And of course I'm sure you just love when someone comes to you with "all the mats" and it turns out to be a giant pile of ore. :)
____________________________
[ffxisig]55836[/ffxisig]

Mikhalia: and FWIW, my posts are 95% helpful, informative, or funny.
Mikhalia: only 5% or less of my posts are utter crap.
Tyapex: 393 posts of utter crap...
Mikhalia: Sounds about right.
#15 Jan 14 2011 at 11:30 AM Rating: Excellent
***
2,120 posts
Yea it's a tough spot to be in at times. On one hand I don't wanna be someone who turns down helping people based on worrying about the worst, but then those nightmarish thoughts creep up "Remember what happened the last time you wanted to be a nice guy!"

Also, not all players(especially newer ones) can know how it all works. I think I'd be in less of a joking mood and more rage-mode had the above scenario taken place with someone who's been playing since CE release and is also a fellow high-rank crafter. Then it's more of a "I got more important sh*t to do, but you don't" kinda thing...



Edited, Jan 14th 2011 12:35pm by TwistedOwl
____________________________

#16 Jan 14 2011 at 1:02 PM Rating: Excellent
****
9,526 posts
I picked number two but I would never assume that a person has those items, but yeah I might ask a weaver if they had cotton thread on them or a leatherworker if they have a circle of buffalo leather. I generally only work with crafters in my LS, however.

The couple times I wasn't working with crafters in my LS I had ALL the materials.

But yeah, if someone on my LS wants me to make them a decorated bone staff... I don't mind if they just assume I have the glue on me - because I usually do. Someone I didn't know would have to do better, however.
____________________________
lolgaxe wrote:
When it comes to sitting around not doing anything for long periods of time, only being active for short windows, and marginal changes and sidegrades I'd say FFXI players were the perfect choice for politicians.


#17 Jan 14 2011 at 1:44 PM Rating: Excellent
**
498 posts
The worst I have done in this vein....

I wanted to upgrade from the rank 12 to 17 pickaxe for mining. I had the materials, and offered a nice reward. Only issue was that I had neglected to REPAIR the pickaxe so it would not trade. I had to run to the bell to call my NPC and grab repair materials, perform the repair, and then trade...

Not the worst story, but it was mildly embarrassing to take 15 minutes of someone's time rather than 5.

I have ALL the mats SHOULD include fully repaired base items to be upgraded!
#18 Jan 14 2011 at 1:52 PM Rating: Excellent
*****
16,959 posts
I take it to mean: "I have ALL the mats.. in the entire world >:]"

But seriously, if I get anyone else to make me something (rarely), I usually ask my LS first.
Someone's bound to have the craft I need, and the "common" materials on hand, but I never assume they have it.

Unless that person happens to be Arika. He should be able to read my mind.
____________________________
MyAnimeList FFXIV Krystal Spoonless
#19 Jan 14 2011 at 2:32 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
*
105 posts
I'm not a weaver but cotton boils makes everything a weaver needs rite Leeloo? I need some tarred trousers chop chop, it should be easy, I just gave you 6 cotton boils!
____________________________

#20 Jan 14 2011 at 2:35 PM Rating: Excellent
*****
11,539 posts
weesol wrote:
The worst I have done in this vein....

I wanted to upgrade from the rank 12 to 17 pickaxe for mining. I had the materials, and offered a nice reward. Only issue was that I had neglected to REPAIR the pickaxe so it would not trade. I had to run to the bell to call my NPC and grab repair materials, perform the repair, and then trade...

Not the worst story, but it was mildly embarrassing to take 15 minutes of someone's time rather than 5.

I have ALL the mats SHOULD include fully repaired base items to be upgraded!


Or, better suggestion: You should be able to trade, sell, and buy partially damaged items.

Nothing more annoying than trying to give an old piece of gear to someone but I can't because it is at 99% durability.

I give my friends **** that's not in mint condition all the **** time.
____________________________
[ffxisig]55836[/ffxisig]

Mikhalia: and FWIW, my posts are 95% helpful, informative, or funny.
Mikhalia: only 5% or less of my posts are utter crap.
Tyapex: 393 posts of utter crap...
Mikhalia: Sounds about right.
#21 Jan 14 2011 at 2:55 PM Rating: Good
I pretty much have all the mats, the missing items are something the crafter probably has plenty of anyway

Thats what i chose.I am very surprised the top answer was I have all the mats what else would it mean.I try to be a helpful crafter and will do almost any synth for free if player has mats.But 99% of the time someone has sent me a tell saying they had all the mats they were always missing something.
____________________________

#22 Jan 14 2011 at 3:24 PM Rating: Good
*****
11,539 posts
Grand Master Tailor SsXTricKeY wrote:
I pretty much have all the mats, the missing items are something the crafter probably has plenty of anyway

Thats what i chose.I am very surprised the top answer was I have all the mats what else would it mean.I try to be a helpful crafter and will do almost any synth for free if player has mats.But 99% of the time someone has sent me a tell saying they had all the mats they were always missing something.


I voted #1 because in my eyes, if I have everything except for X, even if I assume the crafter will just happen to have X, I would say "I have all mats except X", not just "I have all mats".
____________________________
[ffxisig]55836[/ffxisig]

Mikhalia: and FWIW, my posts are 95% helpful, informative, or funny.
Mikhalia: only 5% or less of my posts are utter crap.
Tyapex: 393 posts of utter crap...
Mikhalia: Sounds about right.
#23 Jan 14 2011 at 3:25 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
Avatar
***
1,235 posts
I say I have all the mats, and I have all the mats - shards/crystals included.
I know the shard thing isn't a big deal anymore, but it's a habit from before the update.

It drives me crazy when someone asks me to make armor and assumes I have chain already made, or plates etc. Those are the pain in the *** things to make.

I got to the point where I just say "You need leather, not hide", or "You need chain not ingots", and leave the person in question to solve that problem on their own.
I really don't do it to be rude, it's just I don't have 30 minutes to make you XXX Chainmail from scratch, or 30 minutes to synth all the parts and turn your hides to leather to liners (the hides/leather thing happens A LOT!), then your ingots to plates and yeah I know - you forgot the rivets too - etc.
I look up recipes for myself all day long, you can at least look up what you want me to make for you.
____________________________


"Don't take it personally man, white knights would eat a can of **** if the label said SE on it. If anyone dared mention that it was not a good product, they'd just argue if someone can't appreciate the subtle nuances in the ****, they should just go back to eating lolrealfood, cuz the devs prolly know more about canning food than they do."
#24 Jan 14 2011 at 3:31 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
**
259 posts
From one of my LS I often receive a request to make them some good body/head/etc. armor. When I inquire as to what exactly they want, they usually reply "I dunno, what ever is good for my MRD/GLA/LNC". Then I ignore them.
#25 Jan 14 2011 at 3:35 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
**
539 posts
Olorinus the Vile wrote:
I picked number two but I would never assume that a person has those items, but yeah I might ask a weaver if they had cotton thread on them or a leatherworker if they have a circle of buffalo leather. I generally only work with crafters in my LS, however.

The couple times I wasn't working with crafters in my LS I had ALL the materials.

But yeah, if someone on my LS wants me to make them a decorated bone staff... I don't mind if they just assume I have the glue on me - because I usually do. Someone I didn't know would have to do better, however.


This is how I conduct myself, and expect other people to behave, but I know that's asking for the moon in most cases. If someone needs me to craft something, and all the materials turns out to be half the materials.. i don't mind as long as i have what i need on me. If i have to go find things, you can pretty much forget it (unless a friend). If you want to go find the materials and come back to me later, that's cool. But, since I usually don't charge to craft things I'm certainly not going to go look for mats. ^^'
____________________________


#26 Jan 14 2011 at 3:35 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
Avatar
***
1,235 posts
Omg, that is sooo funny. That happens more often than you think.
I mean really, you want me to figure out what you need AND make it?

"You should probably wear XXXX, and you can find it pretty cheap in the XXX Ward."
is a really good response for that request.
____________________________


"Don't take it personally man, white knights would eat a can of **** if the label said SE on it. If anyone dared mention that it was not a good product, they'd just argue if someone can't appreciate the subtle nuances in the ****, they should just go back to eating lolrealfood, cuz the devs prolly know more about canning food than they do."
#27 Jan 14 2011 at 10:21 PM Rating: Good
If I ask someone to make something for me I'll straight up front tell them if I don't have the materials. I then either ask them how much extra it would be for the materials (If they gotta spend time looking for the materials or use their own, I'm gonna pay for this service too, it's only fair.) on top of the quoted price, or try to seek out the materials on my own. Either way, if it's gonna take more effort than just drop in the pre-made goods I will pay the additional costs. Then again I also usually over tip for repairs too. :P I seldom have troubles getting my gear repaired being I offer almost 8K or more to repair a silver ring, or offer shards/crystals to repair say my bow. None of my equipment uses incredibly hard to get materials either.Smiley: tongue

Edited, Jan 14th 2011 8:23pm by SamusKnight
____________________________
FINAL FANTASY XIV Roleplayer

Sair Gammonari - Hyur Midlander Male - Conjurer (Somewhat retired.)
Mihana Zhralyia - Miqo'te Seeker of the Sun Female - Archer



#28 Jan 14 2011 at 10:36 PM Rating: Good
*
106 posts
I have done a few charity crafts for people with no charge. These are people who shout "I have all the mats, please help". The dude in OP's story is annoying and demanding beyond the MTV level. I guess I shouldn't be surprise after all the FFXI people experiences.
____________________________


#29 Jan 14 2011 at 11:35 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
***
1,948 posts
It's still way better than the guy demand an item from you (And the item need parts from other craft you don't have), and he bring none of the mats. Not even an ore.

I should go make a thread about "I have NO mats".

Edited, Jan 15th 2011 12:36am by Khornette
____________________________




#30 Jan 15 2011 at 12:43 AM Rating: Good
***
2,120 posts
Quote:
When I inquire as to what exactly they want, they usually reply "I dunno, what ever is good for my MRD/GLA/LNC".


Quote:
Omg, that is sooo funny. That happens more often than you think.
I mean really, you want me to figure out what you need AND make it?

"You should probably wear XXXX, and you can find it pretty cheap in the XXX Ward."
is a really good response for that request.


Man, I hate hearing the "what's good for my class? make that!" kinda request. I'm thinking "Well, it obviously isn't THAT important then. I won't worry about it either." Some of my fellow LS crafters have another good answer to that: "Ok, then you're getting this because I get good SP off of it and already have the mats right here. Sure it's 30 ranks above you, but you can grow into it"Smiley: grin

Quote:
It's still way better than the guy demand an item from you (And the item need parts from other craft you don't have), and he bring none of the mats. Not even an ore.

I should go make a thread about "I have NO mats".


Indeed, the example I gave is still far from the worst-case scenario.

Another thing that has happened and really grinds my gears:
K, your gear's done. "Awesome, I'm at Bloodshore"....[5 minutes later]"Oh, guess I can come to town to pick it up"

Also, kinda related are the darth vaders of trading. You meet the person to make the trade that was agreed upon earlier, but as soon as that trade window opens up it's a whole new ball game. "You wanna trade lightning for fire crystals? You have extra yarn? I wanna work on my weaving some. Here's something you don't need, but I have too much of. Give me something good for it." Always makes me think of Vader saying "I have altered the deal, pray I don't alter it any further"



____________________________

#31 Jan 15 2011 at 10:45 AM Rating: Excellent
*****
11,539 posts
TwistedOwl wrote:
Quote:
When I inquire as to what exactly they want, they usually reply "I dunno, what ever is good for my MRD/GLA/LNC".


Quote:
Omg, that is sooo funny. That happens more often than you think.
I mean really, you want me to figure out what you need AND make it?

"You should probably wear XXXX, and you can find it pretty cheap in the XXX Ward."
is a really good response for that request.


Man, I hate hearing the "what's good for my class? make that!" kinda request. I'm thinking "Well, it obviously isn't THAT important then. I won't worry about it either." Some of my fellow LS crafters have another good answer to that: "Ok, then you're getting this because I get good SP off of it and already have the mats right here. Sure it's 30 ranks above you, but you can grow into it"Smiley: grin


Ugh... okay, I'll admit I'm guilty of this, and I apologize to the crafters I have said it to.

TwistedOwl wrote:
Another thing that has happened and really grinds my gears:
K, your gear's done. "Awesome, I'm at Bloodshore"....[5 minutes later]"Oh, guess I can come to town to pick it up"


Maybe it's just me, but when I make stuff for people or have people make stuff for me, I insist upon physically being in the same place when it's being made.

TwistedOwl wrote:
Also, kinda related are the darth vaders of trading. You meet the person to make the trade that was agreed upon earlier, but as soon as that trade window opens up it's a whole new ball game. "You wanna trade lightning for fire crystals? You have extra yarn? I wanna work on my weaving some. Here's something you don't need, but I have too much of. Give me something good for it." Always makes me think of Vader saying "I have altered the deal, pray I don't alter it any further"


I have altered the thread. Pray I don't alter it any further.
____________________________
[ffxisig]55836[/ffxisig]

Mikhalia: and FWIW, my posts are 95% helpful, informative, or funny.
Mikhalia: only 5% or less of my posts are utter crap.
Tyapex: 393 posts of utter crap...
Mikhalia: Sounds about right.
#32 Jan 15 2011 at 11:32 AM Rating: Good
**
498 posts
Mikhalia the Picky wrote:
Or, better suggestion: You should be able to trade, sell, and buy partially damaged items.

Nothing more annoying than trying to give an old piece of gear to someone but I can't because it is at 99% durability.

I give my friends sh*t that's not in mint condition all the **** time.


Can't disagree with you at all Mikhalia. It is one of the more frustrating "game elements" to deal with. It's also counter productive for immersion. Make a popup that warns the player they're buying/trading a damaged item... Doesn't seem to difficult.

However, I can see the point in needing to fully repair an item before using it to craft an upgrade.
#33 Jan 15 2011 at 4:05 PM Rating: Excellent
Quote:
Man, I hate hearing the "what's good for my class? make that!" kinda request. I'm thinking "Well, it obviously isn't THAT important then. I won't worry about it either." Some of my fellow LS crafters have another good answer to that: "Ok, then you're getting this because I get good SP off of it and already have the mats right here. Sure it's 30 ranks above you, but you can grow into it"Smiley: grin


Thanks to this I don't need to look for new gear for about 20 ranks or so. The way it usually happens is I'll ask someone to make something for me and walk away with a bunch of extra stuff they gave me to dump mats or old gear...though I have to admit I am guilty of this also.
#34 Jan 15 2011 at 4:51 PM Rating: Excellent
*
57 posts
If you say that you have the mats, you should have all the mats. I don't mind making say a leather strap from a plain leather piece if you couldn't find a strap, but it better not be a synth chain cradle to end item. At least make it seem like you did the research for the item you want.

Oh and when you say "Please make me XXXXXX." and I then make you XXXXXX, turning around and saying "Oh I meant for you to make YYYYYY." and getting ****** at me about it and wanting the mats back plus the item......yeah right buddy.
____________________________


#35 Jan 15 2011 at 5:10 PM Rating: Excellent
41 posts
I am guilty of not always having the mats. :( But I do try to help my ls crafters out by supplying mats when I have them. I don't craft a whole lot myself so I usually give away alot of stuff for free or pretty cheap. I would hope that if my ls crafters thought I was taking advantage they would kick me in the ****!!

:)
____________________________
This forum is read only
This Forum is Read Only!
Recent Visitors: 18 All times are in CST
Anonymous Guests (18)