This is a very good point. I, myself am not DoH, but I certainly hope since they do outweight the DoW/M that their endgame content simply isn't crafting the gear so others can perform endgame.
It's not like crafters and gatherers have anything to offer at this point. SE's vision of the game has been undercut one step at a time, let's take a look:
(1) "We'll have no levels in FFXIV" - Meaning they're called Physical
Levels and Ranks
, but still do the same thing.
(2) "You can go from a great Conjurer to a great Gladiator instantly!" (this one's on their official website) - meaning that you can go from a good Conjurer to a bad Gladiator thanks to restrictions on stat allocation.
(3) "Disciples of Land, Hand, War, and Magic are all equal!" - in reality, eight crafting classes are just the same solitary barely-mini-game, and the three gatherers are essentially palette- and node-swaps. None of them offers any useful party abilities, or arguably even anything outside of their respective disciplines.
(4) "A World without zones!" - There are zones, many of them; it doesn't really bother me, but it was a bad idea to make such a statement if there was no way they could pull it off.
(5) "Customizable user-interface" - It went from "barely-workable" to "passable," so there's still hope for this, even though their original statements won't be validated until around six-months to a year after release.
So why point to all of these things? I simply wish to illustrate all of the things that SE has said and, apparently, completely abandoned (or chosen to ignore). There is even an NPC in Limsa Lominsa (I think it's LL, anyway) who says that "Weavers of the cloth bring as much to the battlefield as weavers of magic!" The reason why this is not being implemented is obvious: sometime during the creation of FFXIV, people realized that it's not possible to design a boss that can be defeated by a fastidious man with a spinning wheel as efficiently as a berserk man swinging a battle axe. This should not really be a sign of disappointment, though, because classes should
be different: my Beastmaster should
be able to solo something better than my Bard!
If someone doesn't want to level a DoM or DoW, then I guess they will have to find another game; if I want to craft in most any other MMO, I still have to level a job that can battle; if I wanted to play any job in FFXI, I'd have to level some sub-jobs.
Like the armory system, like zones, like levels, and like many other things however, I think that the notion of "crafter/gatherer equality" was misguided to begin with and that continued outrage over it will only create an ever more fragmented FFXIV, at odds with itself and its own mechanics -- like stat allocation and instant class-changing.