Forum Settings
       
1 2 3 Next »
This Forum is Read Only

SE press conference tomorrowFollow

#102 Jan 18 2011 at 6:31 PM Rating: Good
***
1,606 posts
sideways wrote:
okay, WTH does SE not get? The XBOX 360 sales of FFXIII was not only controversial when announced, but pretty much pointless when we saw the volume of 360 sales...

Sad thing is the 360 version was the only one I ever saw advertised. Never even saw that many commercials for it either. Always made me wonder if MS didn't pay for the advertising themselves.

Likibiki wrote:
Ok, two things:

1) Is FFXIII worth me playing through all the back story and tutorials to get to the "good bit"? What does it actually involve? Do we get cities, quests, npc's, etc etc? Or is it just a bigger area?

I would say that it's a matter of opinion but see if you can pick up a used copy cheap. My opinion was it pretty much was just a bigger area. I went through the whole game hoping to find something new and more fun but it came down to grinding for trophies/achievements. There were quests that were given by some things scattered around the zone(s). Some gave a bit more of the back story iirc. Nothing amazing but something different sort of. There are also some ruins of towns or structures but no cities you go to interact with people.
Oh, and if you have a PS3 get that version because it's all on one blue-ray instead of 3 DVDs on the 360. Not sure how the quality compares between the two systems.

Mikhalia the Picky wrote:
I'll close with a couple points I made in IRC earlier, in the hopes they clarify the matter:

IRC?!? I didn't even know that was still around!
#103 Jan 18 2011 at 8:03 PM Rating: Good
*****
11,539 posts
Hyanmen wrote:
Quote:
That's me criticizing past titles.


My whole argument has been about you criticizing the past FF's without even realizing it (and not saying "I am now criticizing Final Fantasy VIII as well as XIII", lol). I gave examples as to why your criticism applies to every FF before XIII- therefore by criticizing XIII using those examples, you criticized the games before it as well, although not directly. This would be fine, but when you act like the same criticism doesn't apply to the previous games, that's when things just don't seem right no longer.


No, you really didn't give any examples of this. You seem to think you did. But you didn't.

Hyanmen wrote:
Quote:
Feel free to count how many cutscenes there are in 13 and compare them to the number of cutscenes in any other FF title.


I think I'll just say that the game has just as many cutscenes as FF's before it (excluding 12, I guess) and that it is readily observable. It's your claim, not mine anyway.


Just for the same of argument:

Cutscenes in FF1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6: zero
Cutscenes in 7: About 3 or 4.
Cutscenes in 8: fewer than a dozen.

Cutscenes in 13: several dozen.

Yes, it had a lot more cutscenes than previous titles, especially considering that no FF title prior to PS1 had -any-. Are you honestly trying to claim that FF13 has "just as many cutscenes" as games that had NONE? Really?

See, it's stuff like that that makes me think you -have- to be trolling.

Hyanmen wrote:
Quote:
I am somehow bashing every FF ever made simply because there were some aspects about 13 I didn't like


You are bashing every FF ever made because said aspects you didn't like were also present in previous FF's. Not all of them, no, but the most important ones anyway.

You are also not saying anything more than what you quoted. That's not enough. If you want to prove me wrong, tell me how said aspects aren't present in the previous FF's so I can admit what I said was wrong.

One interesting thing I noticed from that irc chat. If this is all so subjective, why do you feel like you need to come out and tell us your valuable opinion (and so strongly, even)? Especially if you are going to take a neutral approach later when said opinion sparks an argument. Don't say you didn't think it would. Of course it does, especially when you have such an extreme opinion against the title. Somebody is going to take the bait.


And stuff like this too. I'm going to simplify this to just the two basic major points: No, every FF was not "just a map with one exit and entrance". The maps had several exits and entrances. Towns had multiple small houses with NPCs inside them. Dungeons were labyrinths that you had to navigate through. Conversely, in 13, there's one way in to the map and one way out. compare the complexity of the maps in games like 11, 12, or 4, 5, 6 and you're honestly trying to tell me these maps are EXACTLY the same as the tunnel maps of 10 and 13?

The second aspect was the overuse of cutscenes. Go back and play just sixty minutes of FF13. Just an hour. Come on, if you love the game so much, you can do that. Count the total runtime of movie clips in the first 60 minutes proportionate to gameplay and compare it to any other FF title. Prior to 12, none of them come anywhere close. And 13 will still outclass 12 in terms of "time spent watching cutscene" vs "time actively spent playing the game".

I loaned FF13 to someone and told them to take their time with it, but if you want to do the FF13 part, I'll pop in 12 and play it for an hour and compare.

As for my opinion, yeah, I stated it freely. I didn't expect that someone would get so butthurt about it as you did and try to argue with me as long as you have. Did I expect someone would disagree? Sure. Did I expect I'd end up having to explain such simple concepts as "I liked 1-12. I didn't like 13" over and over and over to someone who just isn't getting it? No, I really didn't anticipate that.

My assumption would be that it would have been someone saying "Huh, I liked 13; you know it gets better later?" and me saying "That's cool, I heard that from other people, but I couldn't get that far before I quit" and then maybe them saying "Sorry to hear that" or whatever and then it ends there.

You just seem to really be deadset on the idea of "Because Mik didn't like 13, he must hate every FF title ever" and you really seem intent on running with that as far as you can.

So yeah. Didn't really anticipate that my opinion on one game would result in someone trying to imply I didn't like any of them and not understanding that sometimes, some people can just not like one game and just one game.
____________________________
[ffxisig]55836[/ffxisig]

Mikhalia: and FWIW, my posts are 95% helpful, informative, or funny.
Mikhalia: only 5% or less of my posts are utter crap.
Tyapex: 393 posts of utter crap...
Mikhalia: Sounds about right.
#104 Jan 18 2011 at 8:35 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
*****
12,705 posts
Mikhalia the Picky wrote:

Hyanmen wrote:
Quote:
Feel free to count how many cutscenes there are in 13 and compare them to the number of cutscenes in any other FF title.


I think I'll just say that the game has just as many cutscenes as FF's before it (excluding 12, I guess) and that it is readily observable. It's your claim, not mine anyway.


Just for the same of argument:

Cutscenes in FF1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6: zero
Cutscenes in 7: About 3 or 4.
Cutscenes in 8: fewer than a dozen.

Cutscenes in 13: several dozen.

Yes, it had a lot more cutscenes than previous titles, especially considering that no FF title prior to PS1 had -any-. Are you honestly trying to claim that FF13 has "just as many cutscenes" as games that had NONE? Really?


Just a correction on this...

FF1,2,3,4,5,6 all had cutscenes, even their remakes had some cinematic ones (III, IV and possibly I and II though its been awhile since I touched those remakes) they were sprite based for the most part but still cutscenes. They had significantly less cinematics than XIII did, but 8 and 9 really ramped them up.

____________________________

#105 Jan 18 2011 at 8:42 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
**
441 posts
I think what the main arguments in this thread boil down to is personal preferences. Therefore, there is no right or wrong person - everyone is merely expressing an opinion.

Mik likes open world styled exploration with high interactivity and less structured storyline, whereas others nevertheless enjoy a more cinematic experience.

To be honest? Nothing is wrong with either approach. I find all RPG styles enjoyable in their own way.

If you want open worlds, you play Oblivion's Elder Scroll/Fallout games (perhaps Dragon Age and Mass Effect too). Alternatively, if you want more structured gameplay, you can stick to the traditional JRPGs.

I'm playing Fallout 3 at the moment and whilst I hate going through a million mini dungeons without progressing the main storyline in any way, I enjoy the vast world feeling of being plunked in a huge sandbox. Whilst a lot of people may criticise FFX as the game in which where cinematics became dominant in the FF series, I loved that game for what it was - it really did feel like an epic movie (and I'm not even a huge fan of movies, so Square must have worked pretty hard to make me enjoy it).

...Anyway, back to the OP's topic. I'm not surprised to see FFXIII-2, it makes sense from a financial perspective (i.e. leveraging development costs from FFXIII, same market etc). As for new IP, I don't think we'll see anything new in the FF line until they remove some of the tarnish the brand has received with FFXIV.

____________________________
War 75 Nin75 Sam75
#106 Jan 18 2011 at 8:56 PM Rating: Good
**
800 posts
Libtech wrote:
Quote:
because i have a 65 inch panasonic 3d-tv (the best 3d tv on the market) and I play CoD Black Ops on my 360 in 3D, very successfully. It looks just as good as Gran Turismo does on my ps3


Sleepover at your house this friday! I'll bring my Logitech steering wheel. My mom said it was ok Smiley: clap


Oh man, this post really gave me an unexpected nostalgia of those sleepovers that consisted of playing video games until 3am. :D
#107 Jan 18 2011 at 10:09 PM Rating: Good
*
93 posts
Serielley wrote:
There was quite a bit more than just the announcement of XIII-2. Versus got a 7 minute trailer showing off tons of gameplay, and it was all gorgeous - no release date yet. Agito got an awesome trailer as well, is now known as Final Fantasy Type-0, and is coming out this Summer in Japan on 2 UMDs. Kingdom Hearts 3D was shown as well for the 3DS. Dissidia Duodecim was also shown, and it looks like Prishe (FFXI) made it on the hero side, and Gilgamesh has been rumored for the villain's.


Many thanks for the info, and the links. Much appreciated. ^^
____________________________
lolgaxe wrote:
Dread Lörd Kaolian wrote:
As a forum admin, you... see things. Things that you can never unseen.

I can only apologize so many times for that.
#108Hyanmen, Posted: Jan 19 2011 at 3:15 AM, Rating: Sub-Default, (Expand Post) Not really.
#109 Jan 19 2011 at 9:35 AM Rating: Excellent
*****
11,539 posts
Mistress Theonehio wrote:
Mikhalia the Picky wrote:

Hyanmen wrote:
Quote:
Feel free to count how many cutscenes there are in 13 and compare them to the number of cutscenes in any other FF title.


I think I'll just say that the game has just as many cutscenes as FF's before it (excluding 12, I guess) and that it is readily observable. It's your claim, not mine anyway.


Just for the same of argument:

Cutscenes in FF1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6: zero
Cutscenes in 7: About 3 or 4.
Cutscenes in 8: fewer than a dozen.

Cutscenes in 13: several dozen.

Yes, it had a lot more cutscenes than previous titles, especially considering that no FF title prior to PS1 had -any-. Are you honestly trying to claim that FF13 has "just as many cutscenes" as games that had NONE? Really?


Just a correction on this...

FF1,2,3,4,5,6 all had cutscenes, even their remakes had some cinematic ones (III, IV and possibly I and II though its been awhile since I touched those remakes) they were sprite based for the most part but still cutscenes. They had significantly less cinematics than XIII did, but 8 and 9 really ramped them up.



From the beginning, every instance of my usage of the word "cutscene" has been to refer to "CGI animated movie". I don't consider scripted speaking within the game engine to be a cutscene. Perhaps "cinematics" would have worked as well, but that was what I have been referring to all along.

Hyanmen wrote:
Quote:
Yes, it had a lot more cutscenes than previous titles


Huh? What kind of logic is this? There were more than several dozens times in NES/SNES FF's where you couldn't control your character while all kinds of stuff happened. Zero? What the ****? Is it not a cutscene if it's done using the game engine? Who is the troll?


As mentioned in my reply to Theonehio, from the beginning, every use of the word "cutscene" has been used to refer to an ingame movie, which were not technologically possible at the original release of 1-6. No, I do not consider a scripted dialogue to be the same as a cutscene. One is a bunch of characters moving around on the map and talking and another is a movie. A couple movies is fine. Too many movies means I might as well have just put a movie in instead.

Hyanmen wrote:
Quote:
Come on, if you love the game so much, you can do that. Count the total runtime of movie clips in the first 60 minutes proportionate to gameplay and compare it to any other FF title.


Oh yeah, I remember running around Balamb Garden for an hour looking for the next NPC that starts a cutscene. What a pinnacle of gameplay indeed. Truly makes it a game instead of a movie.

How long did you play XIII again? Did I understand you correctly when you were talking about an hour? In that case, where exactly are you pulling this cutscene nonsense from?


No, I said that I enjoyed it for about an hour. Disliked it for two more, and played two or three more after that even though I was sick of the game by then (for a total of 5-6 hours of tunnel cutscene tunnel cutscene tunnel cutscene) before I finally could not take it any more, ejected the disk, put it away, and went to bed ****** off that I had wasted $60 on the thing.

No other FF title has ever instilled in me the desire to no longer want to play it like 13 did. Every title prior to that, even the titles I didn't like so much like 8 and 10, I -wanted- to play them. I played them like an alcoholic drinks beer; over and over and over for hours until I pass out. For any other given FF title, my first 10-15 hours of the game were usually done in 1-2 sittings and the only reason I ever stopped playing or took a break from any other FF title was because I -had- to (usually due to having to go to bed because it was 6 AM). FF13 was the first Final Fantasy that I was only an hour in before I was bored and only five hours in before I never ever wanted to play the game again.

And out of the five hours I spent playing, it seems like about three of them were cutscenes.

Hyanmen wrote:
Quote:
I didn't expect that someone would get so butthurt about it as you did and try to argue with me as long as you have.


So you really expected someone to just pop in and state his opinion, when there is a clear objective way to look at the game (which is what I am currently arguing)? It's even more of a reason to start an argument with you, as flawed opinions need to be corrected. Even if the person with said opinion will never accept the fact.

But I am really sorry for starting a real argument with you instead of just stating my own opinion. You would never expect anyone to do that on an internet forum wouldn't you.


An argument of this magnitude? No, I really didn't.

Hyanmen wrote:
Quote:
I think what the main arguments in this thread boil down to is personal preferences.


Not really.

Edited, Jan 19th 2011 12:16pm by Hyanmen


See... it's one thing if you want to say "That's your opinion, this is my opinion, I disagree." And I expected one or two people might do that and then we'd move on with, y'know, the actual topic of this thread, rather than derailing it as I try to explain to you how I disliked one and only one FF game because of the map layout, the leveling system, and too many movies.

Instead, I can't help but think you saw my first post and you suddenly turned into this guy:

Screenshot


Why don't you get over your notion of trying to prove that an opinion you disagree with MUST be wrong and move on? You're clearly not going to change my mind. Unless you're just +1ing (which is really about 75% of the reason I'm still replying to you), I don't get what your goal is here. If you're expecting me to admit that we disagree, then I have said that long ago. If you're expecting me to say that your opinion is right and mine is wrong, then it's not going to happen. I hated the game. I explained why. I also explained why and how I liked every other FF before it.

You're not going to get me to say that I think FF13 was a good game. You're not going to get me to say that I thought any other FFs before it were bad games. I stick by my opinion, and while you're entitled to disagree with it, that does not make my opinion wrong.

Anything else, or can we move away from this derail now?

Edited, Jan 19th 2011 10:36am by Mikhalia
____________________________
[ffxisig]55836[/ffxisig]

Mikhalia: and FWIW, my posts are 95% helpful, informative, or funny.
Mikhalia: only 5% or less of my posts are utter crap.
Tyapex: 393 posts of utter crap...
Mikhalia: Sounds about right.
#110 Jan 19 2011 at 9:55 AM Rating: Default
***
3,416 posts
Quote:
From the beginning, every instance of my usage of the word "cutscene" has been to refer to "CGI animated movie".


Uh... this doesn't make any sense. It's not a movie if it's done with the in-game engine? lol.

Quote:
One is a bunch of characters moving around on the map and talking and another is a movie.


I should have known this all along. The Karma system of this forum is worse than the Marketplace system ever was.

This is just on a completely different level entirely.

Quote:
I don't get what your goal is here.


Me neither. After reading this latest reply.. me neither.

Maybe I thought... ****, the humanity tricked me again. And I fell for it head first.

Quote:
that does not make my opinion wrong.


Nope, the facts that I laid to the table do. Opinions are not equal.

Quote:
Anything else, or can we move away from this derail now?


Maybe you shouldn't have derailed it in the first place. Just something to consider, and ignore later.

(Now you're thinking "oh this topic was about XIII all along. No it wasn't.)
____________________________
SE:
Quote:
We really want to compete against World of Warcraft and for example the new Star Wars MMO.

#111 Jan 19 2011 at 10:13 AM Rating: Excellent
*****
11,539 posts
Hyanmen wrote:
Quote:
Anything else, or can we move away from this derail now?


Maybe you shouldn't have derailed it in the first place. Just something to consider, and ignore later.

(Now you're thinking "oh this topic was about XIII all along. No it wasn't.)


Original post and thread topic: About the press conference.

Your first post: Mentioning the contents of the press conference (still on topic)

My first post: Pointing out a gripe with spending resources on sequels to 13 (the contents of the press conference) while 14 is in disarray (Still on topic, talking about the contents of the press conference)

Your next post: "lol at this thread. Earlier FF's weren't any better. There is a misconception that just because when you were younger these stories appealed to you they were somehow better, when it was purely your lack of experience and maturity that made them 'good'. " No logner on topic.

So yes, you started the argument and took the thread off topic at the same time in that post by taking the thread from "The press conference about sequels to 13" to "Earlier FFs were no better, people were inexperienced and not mature enough to understand it"

So yes. All you, buddy.

Even the OP mentioned 13-2 in the OP, so once this thread stopped being about 13-2 and started being about other games (and you were the one to turn it into that), it was derailed.

Edited, Jan 19th 2011 11:16am by Mikhalia
____________________________
[ffxisig]55836[/ffxisig]

Mikhalia: and FWIW, my posts are 95% helpful, informative, or funny.
Mikhalia: only 5% or less of my posts are utter crap.
Tyapex: 393 posts of utter crap...
Mikhalia: Sounds about right.
#112 Jan 19 2011 at 10:30 AM Rating: Decent
***
1,608 posts
lol.

|>{ |> *) efish {You can have this.}
____________________________

#113 Jan 19 2011 at 10:31 AM Rating: Default
***
3,416 posts
Quote:
So yes. All you, buddy.


Whose trollish line sparked that derail? You responded to my post, with an extremely hateful sentence without any sort of explanation you knew people would disagree with and derail the topic in the process. You said it anyway.

Yeah, all me buddy. I took your bait. Well done.

Edited, Jan 19th 2011 7:31pm by Hyanmen
____________________________
SE:
Quote:
We really want to compete against World of Warcraft and for example the new Star Wars MMO.

#114ironmonk25, Posted: Jan 19 2011 at 10:57 AM, Rating: Sub-Default, (Expand Post) anyone who thinks 13 was a good or decent game is a giant d bag.
#115 Jan 19 2011 at 11:01 AM Rating: Decent
ironmonk25 wrote:
anyone who thinks 13 was a good or decent game is a giant d bag.


I was wondering what class I was... thanks for clearing that up for me. IRL armory system was confusing me, but thanks to you I can define myself by my enjoyment of a single item in life.
____________________________
FFXI:Sylph - Perrin 75 Hume THF; Retired (At least from my use any way)
EVE Online:ScraperX; Retired
WAR:IronClaw- Peryn SW;SkullThrone- Grymloc BO; Retired


#116 Jan 19 2011 at 11:08 AM Rating: Excellent
*****
11,539 posts
ironmonk25 wrote:
anyone who thinks 13 was a good or decent game is a giant d bag.


See, now -that- is overboard.

It's one thing to dislike a game or think it was poorly made, but if other people like it, there's nothing wrong with that.

There are plenty of games, songs, movies, etc that I think are terrible. That doesn't mean that NO ONE is allowed to like them. If someone else wants to play a game or watch a movie or listen to music that I personally think is crap, and they enjoy that game/movie/music, then that's totally fine.

I know **** well that I enjoyed games, liked movies, and listen to music that you might think is terrible. And you're entitled to think it if you like. Someone else thinking a game is great or bad doesn't affect whether I do or don't enjoy it.
____________________________
[ffxisig]55836[/ffxisig]

Mikhalia: and FWIW, my posts are 95% helpful, informative, or funny.
Mikhalia: only 5% or less of my posts are utter crap.
Tyapex: 393 posts of utter crap...
Mikhalia: Sounds about right.
#117 Jan 19 2011 at 11:18 AM Rating: Default
***
1,608 posts
ironmonk25 wrote:
anyone who thinks 13 was a good or decent game is a giant d bag.


Anyone who liked X-2 is a sweet transvestite.
____________________________

#118 Jan 19 2011 at 11:22 AM Rating: Decent
***
3,416 posts
Quote:
If someone else wants to play a game or watch a movie or listen to music that I personally think is crap, and they enjoy that game/movie/music, then that's totally fine.


What I find a bit sad here is that you aren't even interested in knowing why they like it, nor whether it is objectively better or not. And when the answers lie in front of your face, you ignore them. Knowledge is underrated.

I know that objectively speaking me liking FFX is not due to it's merits as a game or even a movie, and that's fine. I know that even if I don't like playing Bioware games they are still great products objectively speaking.

I guess I value truth more than some others. If everyone did the same, there would be no derails due to people feeling entitled to post their opinions, bad or good. It simply doesn't matter what your or anyone else's subjective feeling about any given topic is. But we can always argue for the truth. That's productive.

Edited, Jan 19th 2011 8:23pm by Hyanmen
____________________________
SE:
Quote:
We really want to compete against World of Warcraft and for example the new Star Wars MMO.

#119 Jan 19 2011 at 11:33 AM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
**
539 posts

I have a grand idea. ^^ It begins with the fact that there are those who vehemently hate FFXIII and all it stands for, and those who feel it was a welcome change to the pacing of past titles. Essentially, those who like to wander around and search for direction and those who like to be told where to go and negate all the bull. The End.

Why mikhalia's opinion of 13 keeps getting dissected post after post is beyond me. You're not doing much, Hyanmen, aside from showing that you like to quote out of context and explain why you're right and he's wrong. It's a rather pointless arguement, and should probably stop getting answered by Mikhalia.

Here's my views on the basics of this huge thread (because this is the internet and obviously I have to stick my nose into everything.)

1. Mikhalia is annoyed that a game he hated is getting a sequel while a game he wants to like and has potential to keep growing still has not given us much in the way of news.

2. Hyanmen loved FFXIII, is excited about the news of the sequel, and is annoyed that someone else doesn't like the game

3. Everyone else is slightly annoyed at the back-and-forth, with people on both sides of the argument.

What do we do? Stop responding and realize that (especially on the internet) you will never really change the opinions of your opponents, no matter how adept you think you are at internet arguing.

TLDR? Shutup . . please :)
____________________________


#120 Jan 19 2011 at 11:49 AM Rating: Excellent
*****
11,539 posts
olaurelindorenan wrote:

I have a grand idea. ^^ It begins with the fact that there are those who vehemently hate FFXIII and all it stands for, and those who feel it was a welcome change to the pacing of past titles. Essentially, those who like to wander around and search for direction and those who like to be told where to go and negate all the bull. The End.

Why mikhalia's opinion of 13 keeps getting dissected post after post is beyond me. You're not doing much, Hyanmen, aside from showing that you like to quote out of context and explain why you're right and he's wrong. It's a rather pointless arguement, and should probably stop getting answered by Mikhalia.

Here's my views on the basics of this huge thread (because this is the internet and obviously I have to stick my nose into everything.)

1. Mikhalia is annoyed that a game he hated is getting a sequel while a game he wants to like and has potential to keep growing still has not given us much in the way of news.

2. Hyanmen loved FFXIII, is excited about the news of the sequel, and is annoyed that someone else doesn't like the game

3. Everyone else is slightly annoyed at the back-and-forth, with people on both sides of the argument.

What do we do? Stop responding and realize that (especially on the internet) you will never really change the opinions of your opponents, no matter how adept you think you are at internet arguing.

TLDR? Shutup . . please :)


This all sounds pretty accurate to me.
____________________________
[ffxisig]55836[/ffxisig]

Mikhalia: and FWIW, my posts are 95% helpful, informative, or funny.
Mikhalia: only 5% or less of my posts are utter crap.
Tyapex: 393 posts of utter crap...
Mikhalia: Sounds about right.
#121Hyanmen, Posted: Jan 19 2011 at 11:57 AM, Rating: Sub-Default, (Expand Post) Aight, you start, I'll follow right behind'cha :)
#122 Jan 19 2011 at 2:42 PM Rating: Default
***
2,202 posts
FFXIII-2 is another nail in that SE Coffin! Really SE! To easy to easy indeed XD!
____________________________
MUTED
#123 Jan 19 2011 at 3:15 PM Rating: Decent
**
265 posts
FF13 was one of those FF main titles that many fans did not like, top 3 easy. go to any game site with player reviews and compare the low scores to the high, its pretty obvious MANY people where not satifed by it. It also hit a few most disappointed lists...along with FF14 of course.

i mean watch this video from Mega64, its a joke video but they put that bit about FF13 in there:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1F0VD_oY1_8

why they are taking one of the most unpopular games and making a sequal...im not very sure, but they CAN make it much better, by taking some of the things people hated and mixing it up (linear design, combat..ect) though i have to say that one pick is a little off-putting and making me thing X-2 all over again (i swear if its about costume switching im done). The "armor" she has does not fit the future world the game is based on, so i have no clue what they are going for.

Luckly we have the other 2 games coming which look really solid (vs 13 and type 0)



Edited, Jan 19th 2011 4:19pm by zanfire
#124 Jan 19 2011 at 3:19 PM Rating: Excellent
4 posts
Both FF13 and FF14 felt like they were rushed out the door.

There were giant holes in 13's story, and I've read interviews where they said they cut out over half the game. I wonder how much better it would have been if it had been completed. They could have done a lot more with the characters, and maybe developed a bad guy who was worth the effort it took to remember their name.

Plot synopsis of FF13 stolen from the forums at fohguil.org.



Plot synopsis:

Cast: Oh no, we had a bad dream about us destroying Cocoon, lets not do that.

...

Barthandelus: You must destroy Orphan, thus destroying Coccon.
Cast: We will never do that.

...

Barthandelus: Hey again guys, remember you must destroy Orphan and thus Cocoon.
Cast: No, never!

...

Cast travels voluntarily to Orphan's lair with no real explanation as to why
Barthandelus: Hey, nice of you to come. I told you you would destroy Orphan, thus destroying Cocoon.
Cast: No, we won't destroy Orphan, we will destroy you!
Barthandelus: Argh.
Orphan: Hi.
Cast: Hey, let's destroy Orphan!
Orphan: Argh.
Cast: Oops, Orphan died so now Cocoon will die. We should have seen that coming.
Fang & Vaniile: No, by the power of friendship and lesbians, IDDQD! Cocoon magically survives through a method that has absolutely zero plot relevance!

The End.



The mess of story is by far my biggest gripe about FF13, and I totally blame it on someone pushing it out the door before it was finished.

Of course, this won't stop me from preordering part 2. :)

BTW, why is Lightning in plate mail?
#125 Jan 19 2011 at 3:30 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
*****
12,705 posts
It looks like she's wearing Odin >.>
____________________________

#126 Jan 19 2011 at 4:34 PM Rating: Decent
*
165 posts
Convict1974 wrote:
...

Plot synopsis of FF13 stolen from the forums at fohguil.org.

...


LOL. I think I love you.
____________________________
Yay, I got me a signature! ^.^b
#127 Jan 19 2011 at 4:42 PM Rating: Decent
zanfire wrote:
The "armor" she has does not fit the future world the game is based on, so i have no clue what they are going for.


Did you finish XIII? The future world kinda changes a bit...

But maybe they're going for a Star Wars thing... Ep1-3 everythings all chrome SR71 billy baddass armor and stuff, Ep4-6 everythings all P51 Mustang and Atilla the Hun fashion... I don't know about you but I prefer the P51 and dead animal hat stuff... I have more hope for XIII-2 than I did for SW Ep2... we'll see, hype can kill anything even if it IS good, somethings can never be good enough.
____________________________
FFXI:Sylph - Perrin 75 Hume THF; Retired (At least from my use any way)
EVE Online:ScraperX; Retired
WAR:IronClaw- Peryn SW;SkullThrone- Grymloc BO; Retired


#128 Jan 19 2011 at 6:59 PM Rating: Decent
**
265 posts
PerrinofSylph, ****** Superhero wrote:
zanfire wrote:
The "armor" she has does not fit the future world the game is based on, so i have no clue what they are going for.


Did you finish XIII? The future world kinda changes a bit...

But maybe they're going for a Star Wars thing... Ep1-3 everythings all chrome SR71 billy baddass armor and stuff, Ep4-6 everythings all P51 Mustang and Atilla the Hun fashion... I don't know about you but I prefer the P51 and dead animal hat stuff... I have more hope for XIII-2 than I did for SW Ep2... we'll see, hype can kill anything even if it IS good, somethings can never be good enough.


I didnt finish it, had a hard time trying to...which this is the only other one i could not bring myself to finish (X-2 being the other) though sometime soon since the games down to 30$ new im going to pick it back up and try again...sadly i was really far in and i had to wipe my HDD because of some corrupt data from DC universe beta.

another 20hrs of tutorials here i come lol.
#129 Jan 19 2011 at 9:52 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
41 posts
Convict1974 wrote:
Both FF13 and FF14 felt like they were rushed out the door.

There were giant holes in 13's story, and I've read interviews where they said they cut out over half the game. I wonder how much better it would have been if it had been completed. They could have done a lot more with the characters, and maybe developed a bad guy who was worth the effort it took to remember their name.

Plot synopsis of FF13 stolen from the forums at fohguil.org.



Plot synopsis:

Cast: Oh no, we had a bad dream about us destroying Cocoon, lets not do that.

...

Barthandelus: You must destroy Orphan, thus destroying Coccon.
Cast: We will never do that.

...

Barthandelus: Hey again guys, remember you must destroy Orphan and thus Cocoon.
Cast: No, never!

...

Cast travels voluntarily to Orphan's lair with no real explanation as to why
Barthandelus: Hey, nice of you to come. I told you you would destroy Orphan, thus destroying Cocoon.
Cast: No, we won't destroy Orphan, we will destroy you!
Barthandelus: Argh.
Orphan: Hi.
Cast: Hey, let's destroy Orphan!
Orphan: Argh.
Cast: Oops, Orphan died so now Cocoon will die. We should have seen that coming.
Fang & Vaniile: No, by the power of friendship and lesbians, IDDQD! Cocoon magically survives through a method that has absolutely zero plot relevance!

The End.



The mess of story is by far my biggest gripe about FF13, and I totally blame it on someone pushing it out the door before it was finished.

Of course, this won't stop me from preordering part 2. :)

BTW, why is Lightning in plate mail?


Well now we know what they are doing with all the stuff they took out. Making another game to make more money.
1 2 3 Next »
This forum is read only
This Forum is Read Only!
Recent Visitors: 11 All times are in CST
Anonymous Guests (11)