Forum Settings
       
This Forum is Read Only

Letter from the Producer, I (1/21/2010)Follow

#102 Jan 21 2011 at 10:31 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
**
991 posts
Lots of great news in this post!


and im very surprised out wow enthusiasts havent come in here bashing it yet.



if anything, i take away from it this

1) that people really did want more content over an AH, regardless of the overwhelming posting about an AH over content in the forums.
2) class name changes(dont like them) a possibility
3) official word on no character wipes(we already knew it but some people needed to be reasured)
4) the overhaul will more likely be to combat system itself(i predicted this)
____________________________


#103 Jan 21 2011 at 10:36 AM Rating: Excellent
Eadieni wrote:
Goodbye zam huh?


At the very least Fan sites will always have somehting a little extra to offer. For instance quest walkthroughs, item databases, etc...
____________________________
FFXI:Sylph - Perrin 75 Hume THF; Retired (At least from my use any way)
EVE Online:ScraperX; Retired
WAR:IronClaw- Peryn SW;SkullThrone- Grymloc BO; Retired


#104 Jan 21 2011 at 10:38 AM Rating: Decent
**
395 posts
PerrinofSylph, ****** Superhero wrote:
Eadieni wrote:
Goodbye zam huh?


At the very least Fan sites will always have somehting a little extra to offer. For instance quest walkthroughs, item databases, etc...

zam forums for FFXIV discussion. Not Zam in general. And in that regard, yg.com has a much more populated and accurate database. Zam has hundreds of blank and empty pages
____________________________

http://www.prismaticllama.com/
http://www.sologensystems.com
The Prismatic Llama - Peru's llamas got nothing on us.
#105 Jan 21 2011 at 10:39 AM Rating: Good
*****
11,539 posts
Vedis wrote:
1) that people really did want more content over an AH, regardless of the overwhelming posting about an AH over content in the forums.


The problem with that question was that it asked you to pick only one. Most people who are in favor of an AH are also in agreement that the market wards will suffice while they work on adding content, but they do need an AH eventually.

Unfortunately, the poll gave no option to pick two, so people who wanted "An AH -and- content" had to pick one and only one, and most of them picked that content was more important.
____________________________
[ffxisig]55836[/ffxisig]

Mikhalia: and FWIW, my posts are 95% helpful, informative, or funny.
Mikhalia: only 5% or less of my posts are utter crap.
Tyapex: 393 posts of utter crap...
Mikhalia: Sounds about right.
#106 Jan 21 2011 at 10:43 AM Rating: Excellent
Scholar
**
991 posts
Mikhalia the Picky wrote:
Vedis wrote:
1) that people really did want more content over an AH, regardless of the overwhelming posting about an AH over content in the forums.


The problem with that question was that it asked you to pick only one. Most people who are in favor of an AH are also in agreement that the market wards will suffice while they work on adding content, but they do need an AH eventually.

Unfortunately, the poll gave no option to pick two, so people who wanted "An AH -and- content" had to pick one and only one, and most of them picked that content was more important.


that doesnt change what i said though
a majority of people were flat out saying F content, give us an AH, "all the game needs is an AH" and so on and so forth

the question said what we want most, and a majority of people in the forums were outspoken about wanting an AH. yet when we see the results, 2:! in favor of content over that just shows how off the forum community is.
____________________________


#107 Jan 21 2011 at 10:49 AM Rating: Excellent
*****
11,539 posts
Vedis wrote:
Mikhalia the Picky wrote:
Vedis wrote:
1) that people really did want more content over an AH, regardless of the overwhelming posting about an AH over content in the forums.


The problem with that question was that it asked you to pick only one. Most people who are in favor of an AH are also in agreement that the market wards will suffice while they work on adding content, but they do need an AH eventually.

Unfortunately, the poll gave no option to pick two, so people who wanted "An AH -and- content" had to pick one and only one, and most of them picked that content was more important.


that doesnt change what i said though
a majority of people were flat out saying F content, give us an AH, "all the game needs is an AH" and so on and so forth

the question said what we want most, and a majority of people in the forums were outspoken about wanting an AH. yet when we see the results, 2:! in favor of content over that just shows how off the forum community is.


You're missing what I said as well.

Of the same majority who are outspoken about wanting an AH, most of them agree that content is more important to the game than an AH -right now-.

I'm -pretty sure- I had a poll about this at some point.

EDIT: ***** it. Can't find it. I'll make another.

Edited, Jan 21st 2011 11:51am by Mikhalia
____________________________
[ffxisig]55836[/ffxisig]

Mikhalia: and FWIW, my posts are 95% helpful, informative, or funny.
Mikhalia: only 5% or less of my posts are utter crap.
Tyapex: 393 posts of utter crap...
Mikhalia: Sounds about right.
#108 Jan 21 2011 at 10:51 AM Rating: Excellent
***
1,077 posts
Yoshi-P gets respect from me!

I know, lame. Had to say it though. I'm beyond thrilled. For two reasons. One, more content. Thank you!!

And two? For making us feel like we matter. Thank you, Yoshi-P. I never felt that way playing XI. Ever. Communication is the key for customers to know they count. Regular feeds of information is exactly what we need.

Well, that and more content. :P
____________________________
Nekovivie - Titan Server/retired
WereStillWithYellow


We are the Canadian Borg.
Resistance would be impolite.
Please wait to be assimilated.
Pour l'assimilation en francais, veuillez appuyer le

#109 Jan 21 2011 at 10:51 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
**
386 posts
We're never going to escape arguing over an auction house are we? *sniffle*
#110 Jan 21 2011 at 10:53 AM Rating: Good
Mikhalia the Picky wrote:
Vedis wrote:
Mikhalia the Picky wrote:
Vedis wrote:
1) that people really did want more content over an AH, regardless of the overwhelming posting about an AH over content in the forums.


The problem with that question was that it asked you to pick only one. Most people who are in favor of an AH are also in agreement that the market wards will suffice while they work on adding content, but they do need an AH eventually.

Unfortunately, the poll gave no option to pick two, so people who wanted "An AH -and- content" had to pick one and only one, and most of them picked that content was more important.


that doesnt change what i said though
a majority of people were flat out saying F content, give us an AH, "all the game needs is an AH" and so on and so forth

the question said what we want most, and a majority of people in the forums were outspoken about wanting an AH. yet when we see the results, 2:! in favor of content over that just shows how off the forum community is.


You're missing what I said as well.

Of the same majority who are outspoken about wanting an AH, most of them agree that content is more important to the game than an AH -right now-.

I'm -pretty sure- I had a poll about this at some point.

EDIT: ***** it. Can't find it. I'll make another.

Edited, Jan 21st 2011 11:51am by Mikhalia


Yep, I answered that I wanted more content but wanted to also say that I want an Auction House... I don't think those two should have been included in the same question.
____________________________

#111 Jan 21 2011 at 10:54 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
***
3,599 posts
Ipwnrice wrote:
Mikhalia the Picky wrote:
Mistress Theonehio wrote:
Mikhalia the Picky wrote:
There isn't one single word of this thing that doesn't ooze awesomeness.

Assuming they follow through with every last word on here, I'll be playing for years to come.


Yoshi-P did say he wouldn't announce anything if he can't guarantee it. A personal thing of his.


Remember in the movie Liar Liar where Jim Carrey says he's going to show up to say goodbye before they leave for their flight?

It's kinda like that.

With all of SE's history, I'm hesitant to trust them, but if Yoshi-P shows up next to my plane on a mobile staircase, I'd be pretty psyched.


I'm still kind of surprised to see this kind of hesitation. Its almost like SE touched you as a kid and you can never trust them again.


Using your analogy:

FFXI was me being a little kid. I got really excited at job adjustments to Ranger to reduce their enmity and increase their damage. They announced it, twice.

On update day we got:

The previously announced changes to ranger have been removed.


When they announced Augmentable gear, they showed these AMAZING pieces of gear, all sorts of possibilities.

On update day, we learned they were completely random, and instead of the +5 Str +2% haste on my very expensive gear, I got -1 str +8 water defense and it was rendered not resellable.


So yeah... we have some trust issues. I'm as hesitant to trust Yoshi-P as the next person but I'll give him his fair chance.

Edited, Jan 21st 2011 11:55am by Louiscool
____________________________


#112 Jan 21 2011 at 10:55 AM Rating: Decent
**
447 posts
Sephrick wrote:
As someone who has been getting increasingly vocal about their criticisms and waning patience, I've got to say; this post alone reenergized my desire for this game.

I know well that there is a lot of wait-and-see for follow through here, but the depth of what is an initial piece of communication is nothing short of fantastic.

As a self-referred fanboy, it was breaking my heart to see the state of things throughout 2010 from SE. Hopefully the company as a whole can learn from Yoshi-P's lead here. It seems they're prepared to go above and beyond the call of duty here and really give us a fantastic gaming experience.

Beyond this post, I'll maintain my reservations till I see implementation, but I feel this deserves a tremendous round of applause.


Completely agree, especially on the bolded part! I haven't played in about a month, this makes me want to login...then again maybe I should just build up my anxiety until the first release sometime early Feb...
____________________________
FFXIV:
PL (40) CRP (32) CON (27) ALC (17) THM (15) GSM (15)


FFXI (Retired):
PLD [75] RDM [75] WAR [75] BRD [75] NIN [75] SAM [75]


#113 Jan 21 2011 at 11:02 AM Rating: Excellent
*****
11,539 posts
The pessimist in me questions whether SE's plan was to put Yoshi-P in this position as a scapegoat to blame instead of Tanaka if the game couldn't be turned around.

The optimist in me thinks that if Yoshi-P does end up turning the game around, he's going to be a company hero, and become extremely well known on those internets if or when this game starts getting re-reviewed in about a year.
____________________________
[ffxisig]55836[/ffxisig]

Mikhalia: and FWIW, my posts are 95% helpful, informative, or funny.
Mikhalia: only 5% or less of my posts are utter crap.
Tyapex: 393 posts of utter crap...
Mikhalia: Sounds about right.
#114 Jan 21 2011 at 11:32 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
*
194 posts
I hate to be Debbie Downer, but unless I missed something in his notes, it appears as though they are doing absolutely nothing to change the way SP is scaled. Are people actually happy with the current grind?

Even if the DoW/DoM "party SP bonus" is 200% SP per mob killed, the grind from 1-50 is just WAY too long, especially under the current system in which you have to level multiple jobs to play efficiently.

And what about the DoH or DoL SP grind? Absolutely nothing to alleviate the time sink that is the DoH grind? Faster DoL animations will help somewhat, and if they could eliminate a couple of the fifty clicks it takes to exhaust a node it would save some time too, but it's like a band-aid on a bullet hole...it takes FOREVER to grind MIN/BOT/FSH from 1-50.

Every single one of the announced changes sounds amazing to me. I really do feel bad complaining after such an announcement (and I expect and deserve a certain degree of flames for it). I feel like I asked for a Lamborghini for Christmas and I'm complaining about my new Ferrari.

I was just really hoping for some type of change announcement that would alleviate the grind :-( It's all great stuff, polish, bells and whistles, improvements and changes to fundamental game mechanics, but the simple truth remains that FFXIV is just a grind not made for casual players.
#115 Jan 21 2011 at 11:33 AM Rating: Decent
**
447 posts
Mikhalia the Picky wrote:
The pessimist in me questions whether SE's plan was to put Yoshi-P in this position as a scapegoat to blame instead of Tanaka if the game couldn't be turned around.

The optimist in me thinks that if Yoshi-P does end up turning the game around, he's going to be a company hero, and become extremely well known on those internets if or when this game starts getting re-reviewed in about a year.


I sincerely hope it's the latter and not the former, :p
____________________________
FFXIV:
PL (40) CRP (32) CON (27) ALC (17) THM (15) GSM (15)


FFXI (Retired):
PLD [75] RDM [75] WAR [75] BRD [75] NIN [75] SAM [75]


#116 Jan 21 2011 at 11:34 AM Rating: Excellent
***
1,673 posts
Quite happy with this. Anxious to see what the first of many patches brings.
#117 Jan 21 2011 at 11:34 AM Rating: Decent
***
2,214 posts
Quests in under a month... That has been the only thing that has kept me going. I am now only 1 1/2 level from getting my smith to 20 just for another quest... Anything that accomplishes a sense of doing something... No matter how meaningless and tedious, I have only played Final Fantasy for the quests. They have always been the best at it, and I can't wait to see what's in store!

Now hopefully my linkshell will come back and we will be able to party soon!:)
#118 Jan 21 2011 at 11:42 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
19 posts
I would still be happy with one major update per month instead of two because it beats not getting an update at all during that month.

Can't wait for the official forums, possibly get answers from the dev team themselves, and maybe realm/server sub-section won't be so quiet!
____________________________
Gosh darn it.

#119 Jan 21 2011 at 11:48 AM Rating: Good
**
568 posts
rfolkker wrote:
Quests in under a month... That has been the only thing that has kept me going. I am now only 1 1/2 level from getting my smith to 20 just for another quest... Anything that accomplishes a sense of doing something... No matter how meaningless and tedious, I have only played Final Fantasy for the quests. They have always been the best at it, and I can't wait to see what's in store!

Now hopefully my linkshell will come back and we will be able to party soon!:)


I'm with you on that one. Let's hope they don't count leves as quests in this poll...
#120 Jan 21 2011 at 11:49 AM Rating: Excellent
Quote:
At present, we intend for something new to be released about twice a month.


This made me happy...or optimistic rather.

Someone asked about hamlet defense...Near the end he says that he's going through all the changes the old team had planned and will be adding the ones he feels will work, so hopefully it gets added. I was looking forward to it so *fingers crossed*
#121 Jan 21 2011 at 11:50 AM Rating: Decent
**
441 posts
Wow, awesome information. Great communication it really felt he was on the same level with the players. I'm really happy with this post and excited to see some of the changes. My specific +'s I take from this were:

Beastman Tribes !!!!!

and also adding a price next to the search results in market wards!!! **** if they give us this then ***** an AH.
____________________________
Principal: Mr. Madison, what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul



#122 Jan 21 2011 at 11:51 AM Rating: Good
***
1,313 posts
PsionCrystalis wrote:
SE can easily just implement punishments for spamming jump. Perhaps it drains your MP if you continually jump in succession, or drains your health, sort of like your tiring yourself up constantly jumping. There's many ways to get around the jump spam problem besides just auto-jump via Zelda games, but we will see. I personally hope for jump myself!

Loving all the announcements so far!


I'm a big fan of jump being implemented, but I supposed I can understand people's concerns with it from the FF community. How about just a stamina bar for jump? After 3 successive you have to wait around 10 seconds for it to fill back up again. That way you can overcome obstacles in your way or use it in boss mechanics without people playing leapfrog all day?

edit* got ahead of myself, it was mentioned about 4 times already! Easy fix though and with this new plan as an example, I'm sure SE is aware of our idea and I wouldn't be surprised if this is the way it works.

Edited, Jan 21st 2011 12:56pm by Transmigration
____________________________
Eithne Draocht
My IG: archaicmachinery - Friend me!
#123 Jan 21 2011 at 11:57 AM Rating: Good
**
429 posts
thejones wrote:
I hate to be Debbie Downer, but unless I missed something in his notes, it appears as though they are doing absolutely nothing to change the way SP is scaled. Are people actually happy with the current grind?

Even if the DoW/DoM "party SP bonus" is 200% SP per mob killed, the grind from 1-50 is just WAY too long, especially under the current system in which you have to level multiple jobs to play efficiently.

And what about the DoH or DoL SP grind? Absolutely nothing to alleviate the time sink that is the DoH grind? Faster DoL animations will help somewhat, and if they could eliminate a couple of the fifty clicks it takes to exhaust a node it would save some time too, but it's like a band-aid on a bullet hole...it takes FOREVER to grind MIN/BOT/FSH from 1-50.

Every single one of the announced changes sounds amazing to me. I really do feel bad complaining after such an announcement (and I expect and deserve a certain degree of flames for it). I feel like I asked for a Lamborghini for Christmas and I'm complaining about my new Ferrari.

I was just really hoping for some type of change announcement that would alleviate the grind :-( It's all great stuff, polish, bells and whistles, improvements and changes to fundamental game mechanics, but the simple truth remains that FFXIV is just a grind not made for casual players.


They put this in a weird section, but they're planning on adjusting that too.

Changes to claiming/engaging enemies | Examination and implementation of changes to claiming and engaging enemies | Ongoing balancing of skill point acquisition following initial changes

As for DOH/DOL, I assume that crafting or gathering items faster than one per 30 seconds is going to be a huge, huge improvement in the grind.
#124 Jan 21 2011 at 12:03 PM Rating: Good
***
1,313 posts
Wolfums wrote:
thejones wrote:
I hate to be Debbie Downer, but unless I missed something in his notes, it appears as though they are doing absolutely nothing to change the way SP is scaled. Are people actually happy with the current grind?

Even if the DoW/DoM "party SP bonus" is 200% SP per mob killed, the grind from 1-50 is just WAY too long, especially under the current system in which you have to level multiple jobs to play efficiently.

And what about the DoH or DoL SP grind? Absolutely nothing to alleviate the time sink that is the DoH grind? Faster DoL animations will help somewhat, and if they could eliminate a couple of the fifty clicks it takes to exhaust a node it would save some time too, but it's like a band-aid on a bullet hole...it takes FOREVER to grind MIN/BOT/FSH from 1-50.

Every single one of the announced changes sounds amazing to me. I really do feel bad complaining after such an announcement (and I expect and deserve a certain degree of flames for it). I feel like I asked for a Lamborghini for Christmas and I'm complaining about my new Ferrari.

I was just really hoping for some type of change announcement that would alleviate the grind :-( It's all great stuff, polish, bells and whistles, improvements and changes to fundamental game mechanics, but the simple truth remains that FFXIV is just a grind not made for casual players.


They put this in a weird section, but they're planning on adjusting that too.

Changes to claiming/engaging enemies | Examination and implementation of changes to claiming and engaging enemies | Ongoing balancing of skill point acquisition following initial changes

As for DOH/DOL, I assume that crafting or gathering items faster than one per 30 seconds is going to be a huge, huge improvement in the grind.


To be honest as long as they tweak it so that small groups are more viable for long leveling sessions and I have more to do along the road, it could take 3 or 4 months to hit cap and I'd still be happy. I guess you could say I'm in the "keep level cap and achievement" crowd.

Edited, Jan 21st 2011 1:04pm by Transmigration
____________________________
Eithne Draocht
My IG: archaicmachinery - Friend me!
#125 Jan 21 2011 at 12:05 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
**
676 posts
I only hope those connectivity problems I've been having recently disappear along with everyones concerns with the game. I'm looking forward to next month to see what new quests and storylines they have in store for us.

It's going to be an exciting time for Eorzea!
____________________________

FFXI: Siren Server: Seiowan Lvl 99 WHM, SCH, BLM
FFXIV: Ragnarok Server: Lemuria Glitterhands All Classes 50
#126 Jan 21 2011 at 12:13 PM Rating: Excellent
thejones wrote:
I hate to be Debbie Downer, but unless I missed something in his notes, it appears as though they are doing absolutely nothing to change the way SP is scaled. Are people actually happy with the current grind?

Even if the DoW/DoM "party SP bonus" is 200% SP per mob killed, the grind from 1-50 is just WAY too long, especially under the current system in which you have to level multiple jobs to play efficiently.

And what about the DoH or DoL SP grind? Absolutely nothing to alleviate the time sink that is the DoH grind? Faster DoL animations will help somewhat, and if they could eliminate a couple of the fifty clicks it takes to exhaust a node it would save some time too, but it's like a band-aid on a bullet hole...it takes FOREVER to grind MIN/BOT/FSH from 1-50.

Every single one of the announced changes sounds amazing to me. I really do feel bad complaining after such an announcement (and I expect and deserve a certain degree of flames for it). I feel like I asked for a Lamborghini for Christmas and I'm complaining about my new Ferrari.

I was just really hoping for some type of change announcement that would alleviate the grind :-( It's all great stuff, polish, bells and whistles, improvements and changes to fundamental game mechanics, but the simple truth remains that FFXIV is just a grind not made for casual players.


Someone has to play devil's advocate, otherwise we'd all blindly drink the kool aid.

Quote:
We're never going to escape arguing over an auction house are we? *sniffle*


This is why we can't have nice things.
#127 Jan 21 2011 at 12:16 PM Rating: Excellent
**
429 posts
Transmigration wrote:
To be honest as long as they tweak it so that small groups are more viable for long leveling sessions and I have more to do along the road, it could take 3 or 4 months to hit cap and I'd still be happy. I guess you could say I'm in the "keep level cap and achievement" crowd.

Edited, Jan 21st 2011 1:04pm by Transmigration


I too am of the philosophy that if you provide low and mid level people with things to do while leveling, that they won't notice or care about slow leveling. It's only when the devs don't add or don't care about low-mid level content that people start to complain about grinding en-masse.
#128 Jan 21 2011 at 12:16 PM Rating: Good
*
230 posts
Feels like Yoshida is reading our comments and suggestions right off these forums lol. I look forward to the coming updates.

Edited, Jan 21st 2011 1:17pm by Shredmastah
____________________________

#129 Jan 21 2011 at 12:18 PM Rating: Good
***
1,313 posts
Shredmastah wrote:
Feels like Yoshida is reading our comments and suggestions right off these forums lol. I look forward to the coming updates.

Edited, Jan 21st 2011 1:17pm by Shredmastah


He would be wise to do so. If there was a giant forum of people telling your company exactly what would make them happy, why on earth would you not read it?
____________________________
Eithne Draocht
My IG: archaicmachinery - Friend me!
#130 Jan 21 2011 at 12:19 PM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
***
1,609 posts
SkinwalkerAsura wrote:
thejones wrote:
I hate to be Debbie Downer, but unless I missed something in his notes, it appears as though they are doing absolutely nothing to change the way SP is scaled. Are people actually happy with the current grind?

Even if the DoW/DoM "party SP bonus" is 200% SP per mob killed, the grind from 1-50 is just WAY too long, especially under the current system in which you have to level multiple jobs to play efficiently.

And what about the DoH or DoL SP grind? Absolutely nothing to alleviate the time sink that is the DoH grind? Faster DoL animations will help somewhat, and if they could eliminate a couple of the fifty clicks it takes to exhaust a node it would save some time too, but it's like a band-aid on a bullet hole...it takes FOREVER to grind MIN/BOT/FSH from 1-50.

Every single one of the announced changes sounds amazing to me. I really do feel bad complaining after such an announcement (and I expect and deserve a certain degree of flames for it). I feel like I asked for a Lamborghini for Christmas and I'm complaining about my new Ferrari.

I was just really hoping for some type of change announcement that would alleviate the grind :-( It's all great stuff, polish, bells and whistles, improvements and changes to fundamental game mechanics, but the simple truth remains that FFXIV is just a grind not made for casual players.


Someone has to play devil's advocate, otherwise we'd all blindly drink the kool aid.

Quote:
We're never going to escape arguing over an auction house are we? *sniffle*


This is why we can't have nice things.



No having kids is why people can't have nice things! :P Sorry I just thought of that when I saw that post. It reminded me of a shirt for babies and kids that says this :P "I am why we can't have nice things" I know so off topic...
____________________________


"I've never watched a nuclear explosion myself. That's a couple of degrees of stupid above my limit"- Old Man Harris
#131 Jan 21 2011 at 12:21 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
**
386 posts
SkinwalkerAsura wrote:
thejones wrote:
I hate to be Debbie Downer, but unless I missed something in his notes, it appears as though they are doing absolutely nothing to change the way SP is scaled. Are people actually happy with the current grind?

Even if the DoW/DoM "party SP bonus" is 200% SP per mob killed, the grind from 1-50 is just WAY too long, especially under the current system in which you have to level multiple jobs to play efficiently.

And what about the DoH or DoL SP grind? Absolutely nothing to alleviate the time sink that is the DoH grind? Faster DoL animations will help somewhat, and if they could eliminate a couple of the fifty clicks it takes to exhaust a node it would save some time too, but it's like a band-aid on a bullet hole...it takes FOREVER to grind MIN/BOT/FSH from 1-50.

Every single one of the announced changes sounds amazing to me. I really do feel bad complaining after such an announcement (and I expect and deserve a certain degree of flames for it). I feel like I asked for a Lamborghini for Christmas and I'm complaining about my new Ferrari.

I was just really hoping for some type of change announcement that would alleviate the grind :-( It's all great stuff, polish, bells and whistles, improvements and changes to fundamental game mechanics, but the simple truth remains that FFXIV is just a grind not made for casual players.


Someone has to play devil's advocate, otherwise we'd all blindly drink the kool aid.

Quote:
We're never going to escape arguing over an auction house are we? *sniffle*


This is why we can't have nice things.


I hope that's not out of context. O_O That comment was simply in reference to a small tiffy regarding the auction house prior to my post.
#132 Jan 21 2011 at 12:25 PM Rating: Excellent
Scholar
**
597 posts
Jump? JUMP?! God dammit, SE! We don't need jump! Being able to traverse the world in all 3 dimensions isn't only too interesting, it's just plain WRONG! Have you even considered the giant eagle problem? They're ******* everywhere. But only in the SKY, which is exactly where jumping is going to lead us!

If we're able to get closer to the sky, the giant eagles will ******* swoop down on us, grab us in their talons, and carry us away to feed to their young! Do you really want innocent players to be abducted and fed to giant eagle hatchlings? I don't think so. Eorzeans stay firmly on the ground for a reason: to avoid becoming giant eagle food!

Everything else is dandy though. Certainly worth a purchase of the game from me, I'd say.
____________________________
WoW - Andorhal
Darkkiwi - 85 Gnome Unholy Death Knight - <Flaming Bunnies>
Lightkiwi - 72 Gnome Disc Priest - <Flaming Bunnies>
Kwanita - 82 Gnome Frost Mage - <Flaming Bunnies>
Maglyn - 81 Gnome Protection Warrior - <Flaming Bunnies>


Don't play that game anymore. :P
#133 Jan 21 2011 at 12:27 PM Rating: Decent
*
54 posts
LeilaniWildfire wrote:
Mikhalia the Picky wrote:
Vedis wrote:
Mikhalia the Picky wrote:
Vedis wrote:
1) that people really did want more content over an AH, regardless of the overwhelming posting about an AH over content in the forums.


The problem with that question was that it asked you to pick only one. Most people who are in favor of an AH are also in agreement that the market wards will suffice while they work on adding content, but they do need an AH eventually.

Unfortunately, the poll gave no option to pick two, so people who wanted "An AH -and- content" had to pick one and only one, and most of them picked that content was more important.


that doesnt change what i said though
a majority of people were flat out saying F content, give us an AH, "all the game needs is an AH" and so on and so forth

the question said what we want most, and a majority of people in the forums were outspoken about wanting an AH. yet when we see the results, 2:! in favor of content over that just shows how off the forum community is.


You're missing what I said as well.

Of the same majority who are outspoken about wanting an AH, most of them agree that content is more important to the game than an AH -right now-.

I'm -pretty sure- I had a poll about this at some point.

EDIT: ***** it. Can't find it. I'll make another.

Edited, Jan 21st 2011 11:51am by Mikhalia


Yep, I answered that I wanted more content but wanted to also say that I want an Auction House... I don't think those two should have been included in the same question.



But remember, the question wasn't about what we wanted, but what we wanted first.
____________________________

#134 Jan 21 2011 at 12:29 PM Rating: Good
***
1,313 posts
Quanta wrote:
Jump? JUMP?! God dammit, SE! We don't need jump! Being able to traverse the world in all 3 dimensions isn't only too interesting, it's just plain WRONG! Have you even considered the giant eagle problem? They're @#%^ing everywhere. But only in the SKY, which is exactly where jumping is going to lead us!

If we're able to get closer to the sky, the giant eagles will @#%^ing swoop down on us, grab us in their talons, and carry us away to feed to their young! Do you really want innocent players to be abducted and fed to giant eagle hatchlings? I don't think so. Eorzeans stay firmly on the ground for a reason: to avoid becoming giant eagle food!

Everything else is dandy though. Certainly worth a purchase of the game from me, I'd say.


All joking aside, this is pretty much the epitome of any argument anyone could have against it. Oh and jumping annoys them, can't forget that one. /commence eyeroll
____________________________
Eithne Draocht
My IG: archaicmachinery - Friend me!
#135 Jan 21 2011 at 12:30 PM Rating: Excellent
Scholar
*
194 posts
Quote:
They put this in a weird section, but they're planning on adjusting that too.

Changes to claiming/engaging enemies | Examination and implementation of changes to claiming and engaging enemies | Ongoing balancing of skill point acquisition following initial changes

As for DOH/DOL, I assume that crafting or gathering items faster than one per 30 seconds is going to be a huge, huge improvement in the grind.


Yay! Wolfums just made my QQ turn into a pew pew! SP system could use some balancing still imho. I didn't realize they were going to be changing the crafting animations as well as the DoL animations. That could be a huge time saver as well. My reading comprehension skill is only rank 1 apparently...

#136 Jan 21 2011 at 12:30 PM Rating: Good
Quote:
I hope that's not out of context. O_O That comment was simply in reference to a small tiffy regarding the auction house prior to my post.


Not at all, it's something I say when my friends get into an arguement...usually calms the situation with humor ^^

On topic: I'm curious to see how they are going to make each class more unique.
#137 Jan 21 2011 at 12:34 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
*
134 posts
Overall I am looking forward to alot of the changes that has been mentioned but at the same time I am worried.

Alot of content that the community assumed that was being worked on (horsebirds,airships,moghouse,additional classes,endgame content,ectect) didnt even get a mention. These are important changes, what reason does yoshi have to not even mention them ? Yet they mention the addition to be able to jump <_< It just makes me concerned about their actual priorities.

Edited, Jan 21st 2011 1:34pm by Mitsuuko
#138 Jan 21 2011 at 12:35 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
***
1,609 posts
SkinwalkerAsura wrote:
Quote:
I hope that's not out of context. O_O That comment was simply in reference to a small tiffy regarding the auction house prior to my post.


Not at all, it's something I say when my friends get into an arguement...usually calms the situation with humor ^^

On topic: I'm curious to see how they are going to make each class more unique.



Yeah me too. I am worried though at the same time. I don't want all my hard work that I'm putting into my CON and THM to be for nought. That would make me a very sad kitty...lots of Q_Q for me.
____________________________


"I've never watched a nuclear explosion myself. That's a couple of degrees of stupid above my limit"- Old Man Harris
#139 Jan 21 2011 at 12:35 PM Rating: Good
***
1,313 posts
SkinwalkerAsura wrote:


On topic: I'm curious to see how they are going to make each class more unique.


I concur. I really hope they bring back the old uniforms in the form of AF through questing or whatever form they see fit. AF in HD is yummy.
____________________________
Eithne Draocht
My IG: archaicmachinery - Friend me!
#140 Jan 21 2011 at 12:36 PM Rating: Decent
*
69 posts
"oh no!!! people will be jumping around and it will be annoying"

GTFO.
____________________________


#141 Jan 21 2011 at 12:36 PM Rating: Decent
Avatar
***
1,609 posts
Mitsuuko wrote:
Overall I am looking forward to alot of the changes that has been mentioned but at the same time I am worried.

Alot of content that the community assumed that was being worked on (horsebirds,airships,moghouse,additional classes,endgame content,ectect) didnt even get a mention. These are important changes, what reason does yoshi have to not even mention them ? Yet they mention the addition to be able to jump <_< It just makes me concerned about their actual priorities.

Edited, Jan 21st 2011 1:34pm by Mitsuuko


You aren't the only one...
____________________________


"I've never watched a nuclear explosion myself. That's a couple of degrees of stupid above my limit"- Old Man Harris
#142 Jan 21 2011 at 12:37 PM Rating: Excellent
What's interesting to me, but not surprising is how many of us were ex FFXI players. It seems we wanted this to game to be a lot more along those lines then initially expected. I know we didn't want FFXI-2, but we really did want them to take many of the good elements and bring them over from that game. This game can still be it's own thing, but thank god they're finally learning that borrowings things like NPC quests, AH, and certain battle aspects, might not be a bad thing.
____________________________

#143 Jan 21 2011 at 12:46 PM Rating: Excellent
LillithaFenimore wrote:
SkinwalkerAsura wrote:
Quote:
I hope that's not out of context. O_O That comment was simply in reference to a small tiffy regarding the auction house prior to my post.


Not at all, it's something I say when my friends get into an arguement...usually calms the situation with humor ^^

On topic: I'm curious to see how they are going to make each class more unique.



Yeah me too. I am worried though at the same time. I don't want all my hard work that I'm putting into my CON and THM to be for nought. That would make me a very sad kitty...lots of Q_Q for me.


IMO the job system in XI was too rigid at times. In XIV, the opposite is true and the jobs are too fluid. Hopefully they can find a happy medium.
#144 Jan 21 2011 at 12:49 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
***
1,609 posts
SkinwalkerAsura wrote:
LillithaFenimore wrote:
SkinwalkerAsura wrote:
Quote:
I hope that's not out of context. O_O That comment was simply in reference to a small tiffy regarding the auction house prior to my post.


Not at all, it's something I say when my friends get into an arguement...usually calms the situation with humor ^^

On topic: I'm curious to see how they are going to make each class more unique.



Yeah me too. I am worried though at the same time. I don't want all my hard work that I'm putting into my CON and THM to be for nought. That would make me a very sad kitty...lots of Q_Q for me.


IMO the job system in XI was too rigid at times. In XIV, the opposite is true and the jobs are too fluid. Hopefully they can find a happy medium.


Well my biggest concern is that they will go back to being rigid. I like the fluidity. I really do enjoy crossing spells and setting my person up to be a melee. However, the community at large doesn't feel the same. I do hope there is a happy middle.
____________________________


"I've never watched a nuclear explosion myself. That's a couple of degrees of stupid above my limit"- Old Man Harris
#145 Jan 21 2011 at 12:53 PM Rating: Excellent
*****
11,539 posts
Transmigration wrote:
Quanta wrote:
Jump? JUMP?! God dammit, SE! We don't need jump! Being able to traverse the world in all 3 dimensions isn't only too interesting, it's just plain WRONG! Have you even considered the giant eagle problem? They're @#%^ing everywhere. But only in the SKY, which is exactly where jumping is going to lead us!

If we're able to get closer to the sky, the giant eagles will @#%^ing swoop down on us, grab us in their talons, and carry us away to feed to their young! Do you really want innocent players to be abducted and fed to giant eagle hatchlings? I don't think so. Eorzeans stay firmly on the ground for a reason: to avoid becoming giant eagle food!

Everything else is dandy though. Certainly worth a purchase of the game from me, I'd say.


All joking aside, this is pretty much the epitome of any argument anyone could have against it. Oh and jumping annoys them, can't forget that one. /commence eyeroll


I'd wager that 95% of the people who are totally against jumping, when they think of jumping, picture some WoW player spamming [space][space][space][space][space][space][space][space][space][space] for no reason whatsoever and they believe that if jumping were implemented, that's what they'd see.

On one hand: Yes, you'll get that. Some people will just stand there all day and mash space. It's kinda annoying.

On the other hand: Who cares? Is it really worth walking over nine thousand miles around a six inch hill because of some arbitrary invisible wall just to avoid some people spamming the space bar?

At first my position was "If the game is like XI in that they have obnoxious little ankle high impassible mountains, then implement jump. If they actually make bumpy terrain behave properly and allow you to traverse it, then jump is silly to add because it serves no purpose."

After playing the game, and seeing the same annoying *** ridges that are below your knee but become impenetrable walls for no apparent reason, I have changed my opinion to support jumping.

Go on. Turn on FFXI and walk around in La Thiene, Attohwa, and Ordelle's and try to tell me that you still don't think that maybe jump might kinda be nice to have sometimes. :)
____________________________
[ffxisig]55836[/ffxisig]

Mikhalia: and FWIW, my posts are 95% helpful, informative, or funny.
Mikhalia: only 5% or less of my posts are utter crap.
Tyapex: 393 posts of utter crap...
Mikhalia: Sounds about right.
#146 Jan 21 2011 at 12:57 PM Rating: Good
***
2,214 posts
Is it just me, or did he imply that Gladiator might become a DOM/DOW cross class???
Quote:
Possible introduction of traditional names such as Paladin, monk, white mage, etc


or am I just reading too much into it?

As for Jump, it would not be new to Final Fantasy. And in the previous versions it's always been activated by the scenery. The Sit/Stand command, and the old chest mechanics proves they already have the code in to work with it being situational. Where as, switching the chest from menu to command proves they can go either way. So, no matter which way it goes, they have the background to switch it if necessary. I am just happy to see them try.

Edited, Jan 21st 2011 12:59pm by rfolkker
#147 Jan 21 2011 at 1:01 PM Rating: Excellent
**
473 posts
thejones wrote:
I hate to be Debbie Downer, but unless I missed something in his notes, it appears as though they are doing absolutely nothing to change the way SP is scaled. Are people actually happy with the current grind?

Even if the DoW/DoM "party SP bonus" is 200% SP per mob killed, the grind from 1-50 is just WAY too long, especially under the current system in which you have to level multiple jobs to play efficiently.

And what about the DoH or DoL SP grind? Absolutely nothing to alleviate the time sink that is the DoH grind? Faster DoL animations will help somewhat, and if they could eliminate a couple of the fifty clicks it takes to exhaust a node it would save some time too, but it's like a band-aid on a bullet hole...it takes FOREVER to grind MIN/BOT/FSH from 1-50.

Every single one of the announced changes sounds amazing to me. I really do feel bad complaining after such an announcement (and I expect and deserve a certain degree of flames for it). I feel like I asked for a Lamborghini for Christmas and I'm complaining about my new Ferrari.

I was just really hoping for some type of change announcement that would alleviate the grind :-( It's all great stuff, polish, bells and whistles, improvements and changes to fundamental game mechanics, but the simple truth remains that FFXIV is just a grind not made for casual players.



I get your response and I respect it, being a gamer with a job and a baby on the way. Personally I don't mind the grind as long as the path to max level is fun and engaging. So if the content helps alleviate how the grind is helped which right now I putting faith in Yoshi and his team to do this than doing quests, behest, and leve's the grind I doubt will be overly felt. Plus with the addition and changes to group content and battle system we could see a change in how sp is received from DoW.

Speaking about DoL yes it is way over grindy and I feel that needs to be adjusted in order for the casual players to enjoy that content more. Maybe SE might have to look at DoL quests as well to allow faster leveling.

I wouldn't like SE to take a WOW type of leveling system where levels are handed out like water falling over Niagara falls, but alleviating the grind to make reaching final level in DoL easier I would certainly encourage that.


The last thing i want is this game to be a free level fest like some of the other MMO's out there, not talking just wow but it is the principle example. I want to take the time to get to end level and enjoy the path to get there.
#148 Jan 21 2011 at 1:01 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
*
134 posts
Mikhalia the Picky wrote:

Go on. Turn on FFXI and walk around in La Thiene, Attohwa, and Ordelle's and try to tell me that you still don't think that maybe jump might kinda be nice to have sometimes. :)


You realize if they added jumping to FF11 those tiny little unpassable bumps would till be unpassable. You till hit a invisible wall regardless if your jumping or not because map itself wasnt created with the intent of jumping in the first place. They have to re-encode each and every map which you know they wont.

Same goes for FF14, even if they add jumping, unless they re-encode each map it make no difference, you would be jumping like a ****** at invisible walls. And for them to go ahead and re-code every zone for simple reason as jumping is just plain dumb.

Edited, Jan 21st 2011 2:02pm by Mitsuuko

Edited, Jan 21st 2011 2:07pm by Mitsuuko
#149 Jan 21 2011 at 1:04 PM Rating: Good
***
1,313 posts
Mikhalia the Picky wrote:


At first my position was "If the game is like XI in that they have obnoxious little ankle high impassible mountains, then implement jump. If they actually make bumpy terrain behave properly and allow you to traverse it, then jump is silly to add because it serves no purpose."

After playing the game, and seeing the same annoying *** ridges that are below your knee but become impenetrable walls for no apparent reason, I have changed my opinion to support jumping.

Go on. Turn on FFXI and walk around in La Thiene, Attohwa, and Ordelle's and try to tell me that you still don't think that maybe jump might kinda be nice to have sometimes. :)


I remember having this exact conversation with you on irc during beta 2/3.
____________________________
Eithne Draocht
My IG: archaicmachinery - Friend me!
#150 Jan 21 2011 at 1:04 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
278 posts
I feel like one of those people who just can never be pleased. I looked at all those changes and thought, "Cool, but wheres hamlet defense?". If they scrap the idea I will be utterly depressed. Back in November (october?) when it was announced it was the one feature I looked forward to. Now that my will to play has started stagnating, it became the sole feature I thought was going to add some fun. New quests will be great no doubt but I can't help feel a great sorrow that Hamlet defense seems to have been completely ignored.

Edited, Jan 21st 2011 2:06pm by Wloire
#151 Jan 21 2011 at 1:06 PM Rating: Good
***
1,636 posts
I think having possibly more interesting terrain and less invisible walls is worth a couple people jumping up and down for no reason.

I'm happy that they are strongly considering an AH, it simply creates a better and stronger market.

I'm happy we're going to be getting stronger defined classes. I don't care that what we have now isn't the classic FF classes, though I am interested that they might, because I think think of quite a few ideas for the iconic classes, and also some of the FFXI classes if they choose to impliment them. Most importantly though, I would prefer to see classes not tied to weapons the way they are. I'd rather marauders be identified as marauders, and not simply that be the title for "Axe guy".

But I'm still very concerned over the game. saying they are going to do stuff doesn't mean they actually will do it all, and it especially doesn't mean that when they do it will go well, and create a fun game. Promises mean nothing, I'll judge things when they happen.
____________________________


This forum is read only
This Forum is Read Only!
Recent Visitors: 13 All times are in CST
Anonymous Guests (13)