Forum Settings
       
This Forum is Read Only

I so want to make over my avatar :(Follow

#1 Jan 27 2011 at 11:31 AM Rating: Decent
Avatar
***
1,609 posts
Okay, I know someone posted this as a thread not too long ago...however, now I have the bug! *sigh* The thing is, I don't play much, my husband and I have a house policy of only playing together, and I don't want to have to spend such a long time getting back everything I have lost...blah! Decisions decisions!

Would be nice if there was some sort of salon or that SE would give your the opportunity to have 1 do over on your current avatar.
____________________________


"I've never watched a nuclear explosion myself. That's a couple of degrees of stupid above my limit"- Old Man Harris
#2 Jan 27 2011 at 11:38 AM Rating: Decent
**
845 posts
Maybe they will add the salon soon.
____________________________

#3 Jan 27 2011 at 11:39 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
812 posts
lol I spent hours in the character creator in open beta, because I assumed we would never have the option to redo our toon other than rerolling from scratch.
____________________________
Abaddon Active Player Roster
- All your Fabul Sever are belong to us! -


#4 Jan 27 2011 at 11:41 AM Rating: Decent
Avatar
***
1,609 posts
Yeah I am seriously contemplating just starting from scratch and play during my daughters nap, keeping my old character and playing with my hubby on my old one until my new one is caught up. I just having really figured out what I want to her to look like >_<;
____________________________


"I've never watched a nuclear explosion myself. That's a couple of degrees of stupid above my limit"- Old Man Harris
#5 Jan 27 2011 at 11:46 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
1,033 posts
Now is the perfect time for that sort of thing. I remember reading something about a barber shop being implemented, but that could take a while.
#6 Jan 27 2011 at 11:54 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
**
812 posts
BrokenFox wrote:
Now is the perfect time for that sort of thing. I remember reading something about a barber shop being implemented, but that could take a while.

I'm sure that would be pretty far down the list in terms of the hierarchy of planned changes.
____________________________
Abaddon Active Player Roster
- All your Fabul Sever are belong to us! -


#7 Jan 27 2011 at 12:03 PM Rating: Decent
Avatar
***
1,609 posts
Well it's just not the hair I want redone, it's the skin color, the face, just a complete redo. I think I'll get started on making her and just play on it when I have the time until I catch up. Before they start making it pay for play, that way by the time I am caught up, I'll have the person I want :P Just sucks I can't use the same name Q_Q
____________________________


"I've never watched a nuclear explosion myself. That's a couple of degrees of stupid above my limit"- Old Man Harris
#8 Jan 27 2011 at 12:09 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
***
1,033 posts
Threaten to hold out on *** and your husband will be perfectly fine with you restarting.
#9 Jan 27 2011 at 12:27 PM Rating: Decent
**
602 posts
Jefro420 wrote:
lol I spent hours in the character creator in open beta, because I assumed we would never have the option to redo our toon other than rerolling from scratch.


Exactly. It took me like 3 hours to make mine.
____________________________
FFXI: Dashiel. (Asura) Puppetmaster.
FFXIV: Majidah Sihaam. (Besaid)
Marauder, Weaver & Alchemist.

#10 Jan 27 2011 at 12:36 PM Rating: Decent
Avatar
***
1,609 posts
BrokenFox wrote:
Threaten to hold out on *** and your husband will be perfectly fine with you restarting.


Yeah...I don't know how well that would work considering I would be going bat $h17 crazy myself from holding out on *** XD. I don't think he would mind me restarting a new character...
____________________________


"I've never watched a nuclear explosion myself. That's a couple of degrees of stupid above my limit"- Old Man Harris
#11 Jan 27 2011 at 12:37 PM Rating: Decent
Avatar
***
1,609 posts
MajidahSihaam wrote:
Jefro420 wrote:
lol I spent hours in the character creator in open beta, because I assumed we would never have the option to redo our toon other than rerolling from scratch.


Exactly. It took me like 3 hours to make mine.


Well I thought I liked mine...until I saw how the armor looked on her....then I wasn't too happy :P
____________________________


"I've never watched a nuclear explosion myself. That's a couple of degrees of stupid above my limit"- Old Man Harris
#12 Jan 27 2011 at 12:54 PM Rating: Good
*
112 posts
i am in the same situation and made a thread about this the other day, people convinced me that now is the time to reroll but i still ended up not doing it. i guess im a taru for life unless someday we can change. i am hoping when they redo the class system we have to reroll our characters but still get to use what sp/exp we have earned that way i can change class.
____________________________


#13 Jan 27 2011 at 2:28 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
*
241 posts
Maybe we will get a quest (a long tedious one) that takes one to the gods for a rebirth or something, where we can recreate our looks, while keeping levels and ranks. I'm picturing like a magic lake on top of a mountain that will allow you to be reborn with a new race/toon after making the pilgrimage to bath in its water.
____________________________


#14 Jan 27 2011 at 2:39 PM Rating: Good
**
793 posts
I think we'll get it eventually. Stay strong and don't re-roll, you'll regret losing all your hard work.

On a side note, have you considered .dat swaping? Not sure how it works in XIV, but in XI it was pretty simple-- perhaps you can sub out some of your personal appearance files for ones you find more appealing.
____________________________
I might be an onion thief, but I'm still a thief.™





#15 Jan 27 2011 at 3:03 PM Rating: Decent
Avatar
***
1,609 posts
WolfOak wrote:
Maybe we will get a quest (a long tedious one) that takes one to the gods for a rebirth or something, where we can recreate our looks, while keeping levels and ranks. I'm picturing like a magic lake on top of a mountain that will allow you to be reborn with a new race/toon after making the pilgrimage to bath in its water.


that would be an awesome quest!
____________________________


"I've never watched a nuclear explosion myself. That's a couple of degrees of stupid above my limit"- Old Man Harris
#16 Jan 27 2011 at 3:03 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
*
180 posts
I'm with the spent a lot of time thinking at the item creation screen crowd. I knew for sure I wanted to be a lalafel since I wanted to be the exact opposite I was in XI (elvaan). Digging my lalafel a lot Smiley: cool

That is a dilemma you have. On one hand, this would definetly be the time to do it (well maybe after the party sp changes). On the other hand you've leveled quite a few jobs up to the mid-teens and it would take a bit to reclaim that. Also since you only play a little it would take longer.

I think you have a point in not knowing about how armor will look on your character at first. Good luck in your pick
____________________________
FFXI: PLD BST BRD RDM SAM PUP


#17 Jan 27 2011 at 3:04 PM Rating: Good
*
112 posts
Onionthiefx wrote:
I think we'll get it eventually. Stay strong and don't re-roll, you'll regret losing all your hard work.

On a side note, have you considered .dat swaping? Not sure how it works in XIV, but in XI it was pretty simple-- perhaps you can sub out some of your personal appearance files for ones you find more appealing.




Edited, Jan 27th 2011 4:05pm by elevencharle

if anyone has info on how to do this that would be great for me but it is against the rules?

Edited, Jan 27th 2011 4:11pm by elevencharle
____________________________


#18 Jan 27 2011 at 3:04 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
***
1,609 posts
I havn't tried .dat swapping, but I want her to look nice for others too. O.o; not just me, my husband has to see her too! *has the sound of "Do you wanna date my avatar" now playing i n her head* LOL vanity! I <3 it!
____________________________


"I've never watched a nuclear explosion myself. That's a couple of degrees of stupid above my limit"- Old Man Harris
#19 Jan 27 2011 at 4:22 PM Rating: Excellent
Sage
Avatar
*
54 posts
Want the same name ? Just use the tryed and true mmo methed of useing populer names, just add a letter. One l at the end of your first name should do it. And like ppl have said now is the time if you want to remake, won't cost you any more to make a second char. Lvl'ing is not as slow the second time around. But mostly you should be happy with the char. You use, if remakeing is what it takes the by all means do it. Take it from one that spent 3 hours makeing my char just to reroll it 10 min after the opening cs to spend another hour and only end up changing the color of my tail
____________________________

FFXIV: Viilaa Stardancer of Palamecia
FFXI: Dlon of Sylph (RIP)
Rift: Lightofthemoon Guardian mage of Graybriar
Fallenstar Defiant cleric of Graybriar
#20 Jan 27 2011 at 4:27 PM Rating: Decent
*
52 posts
It's just going to keep bugging you until you eventually restart anyway. You might as well do it now rather than wasting even MORE time trying to save time that you're going to forfeit anyway.
#21 Jan 27 2011 at 9:58 PM Rating: Decent
Avatar
***
1,609 posts
does anyone know about the dat files? Can you move them around? And if so does anyone know if it's against TOS? was just curious.
____________________________


"I've never watched a nuclear explosion myself. That's a couple of degrees of stupid above my limit"- Old Man Harris
#22 Jan 27 2011 at 10:14 PM Rating: Excellent
*
126 posts
I think this site has some info on how to change hair and face.

http://moetoy.com/?cat=21

And I'm pretty sure it is against TOS, but there shouldn't be any way for SE to tell. They have no reason to look for it anyway since it doesn't affect gameplay at all. Whether you stay, reroll, or .dat swap, I hope you end up with a character you like!
____________________________
[ffxisig]200032[/ffxisig]
#23 Jan 27 2011 at 10:32 PM Rating: Good
***
1,313 posts
If Tanaka were still in charge (sorry Tanaka), I would say re-roll. Yoshi will most likely follow through however, and I don't see any reason they wouldn't add a salon/barber if people want it. I think it's a great idea as I changed my hair color/style 2 or 3 times / mo in other MMOs. It keeps it fresh.
____________________________
Eithne Draocht
My IG: archaicmachinery - Friend me!
#24 Jan 27 2011 at 10:54 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
*
87 posts
A barber shop would be nice, I could have my mustache and goatee professionally trimmed.
____________________________
Forever peeking up skirts.
Gungii

RDM75, WHM38, BLM37
Level 81 Cooking
Level 19+4 Fishing

#25 Jan 27 2011 at 11:03 PM Rating: Excellent
Sage
Avatar
*
54 posts
Yes it is agenst ToS. Falls under prohibited activitys. I don't beleave it hurts anything used properly but ppl have found ways to abuse it in the past ( I.e. FFXI's tresure & tribulation bcnm) as fore se finding out this is a public forum so I wouldent post anything about it if you decide to use it. You never know if someone will get a stick up there **** and tern you in
____________________________

FFXIV: Viilaa Stardancer of Palamecia
FFXI: Dlon of Sylph (RIP)
Rift: Lightofthemoon Guardian mage of Graybriar
Fallenstar Defiant cleric of Graybriar
#26 Jan 28 2011 at 1:18 AM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
**
676 posts
I want the ability to use some of those cute as-yet-unreleased Lalafell hairstyles someone posted a link to a while back. I don't dare try dat modding (and wouldn't know how if I wanted to), so an in-game barber would be nice so that we can restyle ourselves a little.

Theres so much that could be done with the avatar system to make it more customisable. I hope that once they're done with their overhaul they'll look into giving us a few more options.
____________________________

FFXI: Siren Server: Seiowan Lvl 99 WHM, SCH, BLM
FFXIV: Ragnarok Server: Lemuria Glitterhands All Classes 50
#27 Jan 28 2011 at 2:09 AM Rating: Decent
*
141 posts
I would love to change some looks of my character, hope they add it sometime ^^
#28 Jan 28 2011 at 2:51 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
29 posts
As for me, I started re-roll just recently and doing it like 4-5 times just to get my character looks right they way I wanted. Even so, I am still not satisfied with my new character look and in need of some minor changes. I hope they will somehow implement a re-customization soon or later.

Off-topic:
While re-rolling a new character, I have so much trouble getting an item transfered between characters. What I think it should be is that different characters in the same server and the same account should have the same retainers as this is normally what other MMO is like when it comes to storage. Having exponential population growth on retainers alone can give huge stress on the server and would probably cause the market wards to crash many times. So I think by contemplating the alternatives to stabilize the market wards server and overall retainer population, having the same retainers among different character in the same server and account could gives better result in many ways.
____________________________


#29 Jan 28 2011 at 3:43 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
Avatar
***
1,449 posts
Not to belittle all your effort and time but to be honest, having a couple r20 classes, you will not take that long to get a new character up to the same or even higher rank.

With the changed (reduced SP needed) for ranks up to 20 it will be much easier than from start.
____________________________


My FFXIV Blog



#30 Jan 28 2011 at 5:45 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
28 posts
Chrysothemis wrote:
I think this site has some info on how to change hair and face.

http://moetoy.com/?cat=21

And I'm pretty sure it is against TOS, but there shouldn't be any way for SE to tell. They have no reason to look for it anyway since it doesn't affect gameplay at all. Whether you stay, reroll, or .dat swap, I hope you end up with a character you like!



It is against ToS but, difficult for SE to detect. Might be easier to detect in XIV since it seems there are more server checks going on. As far as only affecting you, its kind of true. There was discussion about replacing certain NM's (Leaping Lizzy, Stray Mary) with the dat file for Bahamut. So when it popped you could tell visually. Don't know if people actually did that. Most were content with making all mithra's naked on their screens
#31 Jan 28 2011 at 8:29 AM Rating: Decent
Avatar
***
1,609 posts
Glitterhands wrote:
I want the ability to use some of those cute as-yet-unreleased Lalafell hairstyles someone posted a link to a while back. I don't dare try dat modding (and wouldn't know how if I wanted to), so an in-game barber would be nice so that we can restyle ourselves a little.

Theres so much that could be done with the avatar system to make it more customisable. I hope that once they're done with their overhaul they'll look into giving us a few more options.


Yeah I know that getting my jobs to R20 won't take long, however I don't play often, and the hubbie and I discussed it last night and he's not cool with me re-rolling.

Hugus wrote:
Not to belittle all your effort and time but to be honest, having a couple r20 classes, you will not take that long to get a new character up to the same or even higher rank.

With the changed (reduced SP needed) for ranks up to 20 it will be much easier than from start.


So since this seems to be against TOS, I'll just have to pray they give us a chance to re-roll w/o losing everything we worked for, or install an in-game salon.
____________________________


"I've never watched a nuclear explosion myself. That's a couple of degrees of stupid above my limit"- Old Man Harris
This forum is read only
This Forum is Read Only!
Recent Visitors: 23 All times are in CST
Anonymous Guests (23)