Forum Settings
       
« Previous 1 2
This Forum is Read Only

Incentive to stay?Follow

#1 Jan 31 2011 at 9:22 PM Rating: Decent
6 posts
I REALLY want this game to do well. I'll be honest. I played FFXI for several months and enjoyed it for as long as I played. I've always enjoyed the general lore and characteristics of the FF series. Crystals, WHM, BLM, WAR, RDM etc. It's all so natural to the FF world. I think FFXI did a great job at this.

I bought the CE edition of FFXIV and was left utterly disappointed. I won't even go into details as of why, that's all over the boards. I just wonder if there's incentive to progress. A big thing for me is STORY. FFXIV lacks a decent story. You're told in tiny bits and pieces about what's going on in the world. I started in Gridania and did the opening story questline only to have it finish with a cliffhanger??? It gave me no direction of what to do next. Where's my incentive to play this game? To just level up? Take a game like LOTRO, WoW and now Rift. All of these games are full of lore and quests that expand on it. Does this ever occur?

Honestly, I put about 15-20 hours in the game and gave up because I felt so lost and alone. No one responds to /say or /shout. Basically, I'm not really asking for content, because I know that's missing. I'm asking for a REASON to play. What I loved about FFXI was that it had its main story missions and quests that had a small story to go along with it. This is completely missing in FFXIV.

Can we expect it? Honestly?
#2Tankue, Posted: Jan 31 2011 at 9:24 PM, Rating: Sub-Default, (Expand Post) Go play wow
#3superdupernuker, Posted: Jan 31 2011 at 9:30 PM, Rating: Sub-Default, (Expand Post) I heard from my mother's friend's cousin's neighbor's dawg that works for S-E that we're getting quests this month. I've never been more excited about the opportunity to turn in ten bat wings before. Honest.
#4 Jan 31 2011 at 9:31 PM Rating: Good
reavercs wrote:
Honestly, I put about 15-20 hours in the game and gave up because I felt so lost and alone. No one responds to /say or /shout. Basically, I'm not really asking for content, because I know that's missing. I'm asking for a REASON to play. What I loved about FFXI was that it had its main story missions and quests that had a small story to go along with it. This is completely missing in FFXIV.


There's a lot of different storyline type quests. There's a main story quest, and a quest line for each job. ZAM has 75 listed, and I'm not even sure if they have all of them.

List of Quests

I've been enjoying completing these so far.

____________________________
#5 Jan 31 2011 at 9:32 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
Avatar
***
2,536 posts

The only incentive (for me) to play right now is the hope that the game will improve far beyond what it is now. I was a hardcore endgamer in XI, and I'm just leveling up my classes and crafts and "getting ready" for the endgame in XIV right now. Whether or not the game turns out good in the long run, I don't know. But at least the potential is there, and that is my incentive at least.

____________________________
FF11 Server: Caitsith
Kalyna (retired, 2008)
100 Goldsmith
75 Rng, Brd
Main/Acc
Exp/Hybrid
Str/Attk
Spam/Others
#6 Jan 31 2011 at 9:34 PM Rating: Good
***
1,313 posts
Tankue wrote:
Go play wow


So a guy comes in here complaining that the story is dry and lacking, and you tell him to go play wow. Are you implying that wow is richer in lore in your own spiteful way?
____________________________
Eithne Draocht
My IG: archaicmachinery - Friend me!
#7 Jan 31 2011 at 9:35 PM Rating: Excellent
Quote:
Can we expect it? Honestly?


I'll answer your question in six letters and two punctuation marks:

Yoshi-P.
____________________________
Thayos Redblade
Jormungandr
Hyperion
#8 Jan 31 2011 at 9:54 PM Rating: Default
Scholar
*
88 posts
Transmigration wrote:
Tankue wrote:
Go play wow


So a guy comes in here complaining that the story is dry and lacking, and you tell him to go play wow. Are you implying that wow is richer in lore in your own spiteful way?


Yes.
____________________________


DaevaofWar.com
#9 Jan 31 2011 at 11:24 PM Rating: Decent
***
2,202 posts
Yes you can expect the game to get better etc etc. After all is so bad that it can only get better <.<
____________________________
MUTED
#10 Feb 01 2011 at 12:37 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
691 posts
Transmigration wrote:
Tankue wrote:
Go play wow


So a guy comes in here complaining that the story is dry and lacking, and you tell him to go play wow. Are you implying that wow is richer in lore in your own spiteful way?

Lore? I doubt he is suggesting that...considering WOW's lore is literally thrown together by one guy who can't even remember the writing of his colleagues who write the actual lore for the series.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DwyMB19q7ms
http://www.wowwiki.com/Retcon_speculation

He may be suggesting FFXIV is currently lacking in endgame, as well as non-combat quests, and wouldn't be wrong in the least. That's very common for the first year of a MMO. Would be nice if we got some non-repetitive content sometime soon. Like..before they end the perpetual free trial.

FFXIV has a truck load of lore, issue is its all spread out in the NPCs, missions, and even some here and there in the repetitive levequests that barely get read. WOW already had its main lore before it became popular, as well as a large American fan base stolen from the Warhammer games. FFXIV has...well, about a million, maybe 2 at the most, people who liked XI, and even less willing to pay for it, hence the free trial extensions.



In short, I guess there's no incentive to stay. They're not charging you, there's not much social interaction beyond your LS, and no real reason to do the repetitive levequests more than a couple times a week. They even discourage excessive playing with the fatigue system. Doesn't make the game terrible. Just makes it...well...get boring a lot faster.

Edit..

I guess he was. Bad suggestion, considering how uninformed it is...

And almost forgot that half of WOW's "lore" belongs to Arthurian stories, Norse legend, pop culture references, and the Greek/Roman pantheon.

Edited, Feb 1st 2011 12:42am by Uryuu
#11 Feb 01 2011 at 2:03 AM Rating: Good
***
1,636 posts
Honestly its simple. We all know what FFXIV offers. If you want a game that has a rich endgame, I can give you that. If you want a game that has a solid end game that is being established now, go ahead and PM me and I'll tell you where to find that game. If you want what FFXIV offers with its question mark of endgame, then go ahead and stay with it. We've been told what they want things to be, but to be honest, the cynic in me understands that they said a lot of pretty things about what the game was originally supposed to be, and they didn't deliver on that either.

Its real simple. Play today if you think you are going to have fun, or if you believe enough that it will be fun later, so much that its worth your time to grind out now.

Personally from a now point of view, this game offers me literally nothing that I can't find elsewhere, so I left, but there's enough that I'm still reading these boards in hope that I see those magic patch notes that will make me reconsider.

Edited, Feb 1st 2011 3:04am by KujaKoF
____________________________


#12 Feb 01 2011 at 2:19 AM Rating: Excellent
Scholar
***
2,426 posts
your incentive to stay will continue to be delivered to you and the rest of us in small doses, via Director Yoshi-P's letters to the players/patch schedules. at some point, we all hope that the incentive will then change to, "because its fun to play"
____________________________
monk
dragoon

#13 Feb 01 2011 at 2:37 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
602 posts
Personally I still have the Final Fantasy XIV Collector's Edition still on my shelf sealed. And the reason I decided on this had nothing to do with the poor reception of the Beta, the entire XIV team change or any of the praises/flames in any of Allakhazam's threads. I'm actually using the Final Fantasy XI timeline. Stupid? It is rather in the eye of the beholder really.

It took one whole year of Final Fantasy XI in Japan before it came to the North America market. So using that timeline I decided that I will just wait until September this year to pick it back up. I have been keeping up with all the adjustments and changes since launch and it is totally heading in the direction that I like. Hopefully the players that play now also are able to see these changes instantly.

Well that was my reason above. To each their own. This game will rock in the summer with all the changes and additions. Wouldn't be surprised if they're already working on an expansion on the side getting the storyline ready to go etc. This new team is really awesome.

And I have played many MMOs like a lot of people. Nothing compares or even comes close to Final Fantasy XI. And I doubt anything will ever come close to Final Fantasy XIV when it's re-released. I think that's good enough incentive to at least wait until summer or keep playing now. This game can only get better over time.

Edited, Feb 1st 2011 3:38am by Excenmille
#14 Feb 01 2011 at 2:38 AM Rating: Excellent
**
465 posts
Most of the people that have continued to play are betting that the game turns into something worthwhile. Not much to say beyond that.

Personally, I feel there's so much wrong with it that I doubt it'll ever be as enjoyable as XI was. I hope I'm wrong..
____________________________
Lodestone
#15 Feb 01 2011 at 2:59 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
***
1,523 posts
Quote:
I REALLY want this game to do well. I'll be honest. I played FFXI for several months and enjoyed it for as long as I played. I've always enjoyed the general lore and characteristics of the FF series. Crystals, WHM, BLM, WAR, RDM etc. It's all so natural to the FF world. I think FFXI did a great job at this.

I bought the CE edition of FFXIV and was left utterly disappointed. I won't even go into details as of why, that's all over the boards. I just wonder if there's incentive to progress. A big thing for me is STORY. FFXIV lacks a decent story. You're told in tiny bits and pieces about what's going on in the world. I started in Gridania and did the opening story questline only to have it finish with a cliffhanger??? It gave me no direction of what to do next. Where's my incentive to play this game? To just level up? Take a game like LOTRO, WoW and now Rift. All of these games are full of lore and quests that expand on it. Does this ever occur?

Honestly, I put about 15-20 hours in the game and gave up because I felt so lost and alone. No one responds to /say or /shout. Basically, I'm not really asking for content, because I know that's missing. I'm asking for a REASON to play. What I loved about FFXI was that it had its main story missions and quests that had a small story to go along with it. This is completely missing in FFXIV.

Can we expect it? Honestly?


I don't understand your complaint. Looking at the stories you had in FFXI at the start and the ones in FFXIV: it's not that much of a difference. Ok you had side quests in FFXI, but you already have class quests at 20, while you had to wait for those until 40 in FFXI. I really find it hard to believe that in the first 15-20 hours you played FFXI you found so many more storylines to do then in FFXIV.
____________________________
____(>°°)D_->__(O°°)>-_<(;,,;)>_C-(°°Q)__O~~_t(°°<)_(;o0)___<(;,,;)>_<(;,,;)>_<(;,,;)>_<(;,,;)>_<(;,,;)>_____

#16 Feb 01 2011 at 3:30 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
**
691 posts
Yeah, found about 5-10 actual quests in the first 20 hours of each. I personally put leves as something equal to the field training in XI. Not really quests, just killing targets. Difference is XIV moves a whole lot faster than XI ever did, and as such is lacking in content per level.
#17 Feb 01 2011 at 3:32 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
2,153 posts
Quote:
I don't understand your complaint. Looking at the stories you had in FFXI at the start and the ones in FFXIV: it's not that much of a difference. Ok you had side quests in FFXI, but you already have class quests at 20, while you had to wait for those until 40 in FFXI. I really find it hard to believe that in the first 15-20 hours you played FFXI you found so many more storylines to do then in FFXIV.


Yes. But XI was made with coherence, care and most of all: "love", while XIV
is little more than a pile of contradictory concepts and makeshift solutions.
#18 Feb 01 2011 at 3:39 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
**
691 posts
Well, that's what happens when you give an entire dev team the boot. Just look at WoW <.< Tons of areas in the files that never saw the light of day thanks to half the dev team being fired/leaving to create new games. Sure, they (Activision-Blizzard) ended up rich as heck, but that's because they remembered the 5 ways to keep the player base addicted based upon the Skinner technique. SE doesn't seem to want to use them if they can avoid it.
http://www.cracked.com/article_18461_5-creepy-ways-video-games-are-trying-to-get-you-addicted.html
#19 Feb 01 2011 at 7:54 AM Rating: Good
Sage
**
551 posts
Uryuu wrote:
Well, that's what happens when you give an entire dev team the boot. Just look at WoW <.< Tons of areas in the files that never saw the light of day thanks to half the dev team being fired/leaving to create new games. Sure, they (Activision-Blizzard) ended up rich as heck, but that's because they remembered the 5 ways to keep the player base addicted based upon the Skinner technique. SE doesn't seem to want to use them if they can avoid it.
http://www.cracked.com/article_18461_5-creepy-ways-video-games-are-trying-to-get-you-addicted.html


Please. The dev team that got the boot was the biggest reason this game is and has been a 5-star failure since launch.



____________________________



#20 Feb 01 2011 at 8:59 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
691 posts
I was referring to the 1 major similarity the 2 games share that the previous poster mentioned.

"XIV is little more than a pile of contradictory concepts and makeshift solutions."

Kinda sad that people are so quick to point out how badly this game has done without even reading the content of people's posts.

Both games have had trouble with properly balancing the game, but have chosen thus far to deal with it in different ways. Skinner box techniques emulate fun by giving the subject constant "pleasure" through pushing the proverbial lever and being rewarded with the pellet. 99% of MMORPGS use it in various levels as a shortcut to success. Incentive to seriously play XIV will be lacking until at least Feb 2nd...possibly longer.



Edited, Feb 1st 2011 9:05am by Uryuu
#21 Feb 01 2011 at 10:06 AM Rating: Decent
*
86 posts
If you have only played 20 hours of an MMo and do not like it then quit. I stay because i can make up my own mind and do not need to ask others about anything. Read up on the game there are quests and lots of things to do out there but you may not like them. Yes leveling up is a huge part of most mmo's so because you can rank up all the different jobs on one Toon means there is already more content then other games. However if you do not like the grind then Final fantasy MMos are not for you.

Me? I stay because if fun.

Edited, Feb 1st 2011 11:08am by dnored
#22 Feb 01 2011 at 10:52 AM Rating: Excellent
**
800 posts
It is true that FFXIV is more of a sand-box type RPG, that is, you have to work harder to make your own goals. However, comparing the lore to LoTRO and WoW is unfair because both LoTRO and WoW had incredibly vast lore to draw upon before the games were even created. And all three of the games you're comparing to have had 5+ years to develop in-game story content.

Really, when you think of FFXI, you don't get into the meat and taters of the story till after level 50. Before that all you have to do are leveling up, minor side quests, and bits and pieces of the main story objective, exactly what we see in FFXIV.

FFXIV had a poor launch and is just now finally starting to get back on it's feet. So while the story content is lacking right now it most certainly will improve if Yoshi-P continues his current development trend of actually getting stuff done.

My advice to you is that if you are looking for a MMO with a rich lore and vast story, FFXIV probably isn't for you right now. Give it a year, or until after the first expansion pack, and I'm sure it will be much more enjoyable for you.
#23 Feb 01 2011 at 1:27 PM Rating: Decent
***
2,202 posts
Hydragyrum wrote:
It is true that FFXIV is more of a sand-box type RPG, that is, you have to work harder to make your own goals. However, comparing the lore to LoTRO and WoW is unfair because both LoTRO and WoW had incredibly vast lore to draw upon before the games were even created. And all three of the games you're comparing to have had 5+ years to develop in-game story content.

Really, when you think of FFXI, you don't get into the meat and taters of the story till after level 50. Before that all you have to do are leveling up, minor side quests, and bits and pieces of the main story objective, exactly what we see in FFXIV.

FFXIV had a poor launch and is just now finally starting to get back on it's feet. So while the story content is lacking right now it most certainly will improve if Yoshi-P continues his current development trend of actually getting stuff done.

My advice to you is that if you are looking for a MMO with a rich lore and vast story, FFXIV probably isn't for you right now. Give it a year, or until after the first expansion pack, and I'm sure it will be much more enjoyable for you.


Indeed Final Fantasy 14 has no lore to draw from besides 13 other main ******* and countless spin offs etc etc.
____________________________
MUTED
#24 Feb 01 2011 at 1:33 PM Rating: Excellent
Scholar
**
991 posts
Ostia wrote:
Hydragyrum wrote:
It is true that FFXIV is more of a sand-box type RPG, that is, you have to work harder to make your own goals. However, comparing the lore to LoTRO and WoW is unfair because both LoTRO and WoW had incredibly vast lore to draw upon before the games were even created. And all three of the games you're comparing to have had 5+ years to develop in-game story content.

Really, when you think of FFXI, you don't get into the meat and taters of the story till after level 50. Before that all you have to do are leveling up, minor side quests, and bits and pieces of the main story objective, exactly what we see in FFXIV.

FFXIV had a poor launch and is just now finally starting to get back on it's feet. So while the story content is lacking right now it most certainly will improve if Yoshi-P continues his current development trend of actually getting stuff done.

My advice to you is that if you are looking for a MMO with a rich lore and vast story, FFXIV probably isn't for you right now. Give it a year, or until after the first expansion pack, and I'm sure it will be much more enjoyable for you.


Indeed Final Fantasy 14 has no lore to draw from besides 13 other main ******* and countless spin offs etc etc.


lore doesnt work that way

thats like saying Starcraft can draw from warcraft lore and warcraft from starcraft lore cuz its the same company


Eorza is its own world, and its new, so the lore isnt gonna be as big to start as games that have a long decade history of sequals based in the SAME world.
____________________________


#25 Feb 01 2011 at 1:41 PM Rating: Decent
8 posts
If they fix the battle system, the armory system, make it challenging, and make it feel like an honest-to-Altana Final Fantasy game, then I'll come back. Until then, I'll continue watching from afar, feeling an ebb and flow of both hope and disappointment.
#26 Feb 01 2011 at 1:52 PM Rating: Decent
*
176 posts
Vedis wrote:

lore doesnt work that way

thats like saying Starcraft can draw from warcraft lore and warcraft from starcraft lore cuz its the same company


Eorza is its own world, and its new, so the lore isnt gonna be as big to start as games that have a long decade history of sequals based in the SAME world.


That's true to an extent, but S-E is already reusing lore in FFXIV from FFXI, like the Near East. Not to mention they draw from a wide variety of FF staples like goblins, bombs, malboros, chocobos, moogles etc.
____________________________


#27 Feb 01 2011 at 1:59 PM Rating: Good
**
557 posts
superdupernuker wrote:
Vedis wrote:

lore doesnt work that way

thats like saying Starcraft can draw from warcraft lore and warcraft from starcraft lore cuz its the same company


Eorza is its own world, and its new, so the lore isnt gonna be as big to start as games that have a long decade history of sequals based in the SAME world.


That's true to an extent, but S-E is already reusing lore in FFXIV from FFXI, like the Near East. Not to mention they draw from a wide variety of FF staples like goblins, bombs, malboros, chocobos, moogles etc.

Right. Lore doesn't mean necessarily mean a literal history - it means the imaginative bits and pieces that make up a game's story. No one is saying WoW literally has Greek gods in it - it just re-used archetypes that appear in Greek mythology, just as FF games tend to reuse archetypes from game to game. We find them familiar, comforting. It's one reason we play FF games.
____________________________


#28 Feb 01 2011 at 2:10 PM Rating: Excellent
**
800 posts
yfaithfully wrote:
superdupernuker wrote:
Vedis wrote:

lore doesnt work that way

thats like saying Starcraft can draw from warcraft lore and warcraft from starcraft lore cuz its the same company


Eorza is its own world, and its new, so the lore isnt gonna be as big to start as games that have a long decade history of sequals based in the SAME world.


That's true to an extent, but S-E is already reusing lore in FFXIV from FFXI, like the Near East. Not to mention they draw from a wide variety of FF staples like goblins, bombs, malboros, chocobos, moogles etc.

Right. Lore doesn't mean necessarily mean a literal history - it means the imaginative bits and pieces that make up a game's story. No one is saying WoW literally has Greek gods in it - it just re-used archetypes that appear in Greek mythology, just as FF games tend to reuse archetypes from game to game. We find them familiar, comforting. It's one reason we play FF games.


Actually, WoW and LoTRO do use literal histories from games/books past. Turbine didn't create the lore for LoTRO, Tolkien did. Turbine simply needed to adjust it for MMO use and later add upon it for expansion packs. Just like Blizzard didn't create Azeroth for WoW, it existed long before. Both of these games have histories to draw upon. Eorzea is brand new and created solely for FFXIV. So while they may reuse monster models and general "the world is ending" scenarios, the history has to be completely invented. That is why I was saying it's unfair to compare FFXIV lore with WoW or LoTRO as the OP did.
#29 Feb 01 2011 at 2:26 PM Rating: Default
***
2,202 posts
Vedis wrote:
Ostia wrote:
Hydragyrum wrote:
It is true that FFXIV is more of a sand-box type RPG, that is, you have to work harder to make your own goals. However, comparing the lore to LoTRO and WoW is unfair because both LoTRO and WoW had incredibly vast lore to draw upon before the games were even created. And all three of the games you're comparing to have had 5+ years to develop in-game story content.

Really, when you think of FFXI, you don't get into the meat and taters of the story till after level 50. Before that all you have to do are leveling up, minor side quests, and bits and pieces of the main story objective, exactly what we see in FFXIV.

FFXIV had a poor launch and is just now finally starting to get back on it's feet. So while the story content is lacking right now it most certainly will improve if Yoshi-P continues his current development trend of actually getting stuff done.

My advice to you is that if you are looking for a MMO with a rich lore and vast story, FFXIV probably isn't for you right now. Give it a year, or until after the first expansion pack, and I'm sure it will be much more enjoyable for you.


Indeed Final Fantasy 14 has no lore to draw from besides 13 other main ******* and countless spin offs etc etc.


lore doesnt work that way

thats like saying Starcraft can draw from warcraft lore and warcraft from starcraft lore cuz its the same company


Eorza is its own world, and its new, so the lore isnt gonna be as big to start as games that have a long decade history of sequals based in the SAME world.


You are so RIGHTS! It is not like arthas = kerrigan in any shape or form ... oh wait LMAO! They are the same character <.<

Also in Eorza there are a lot and i mean a LOT of elements from previous FF ******* <.< Garlean/palamancia empire anybody ?
____________________________
MUTED
#30 Feb 01 2011 at 2:28 PM Rating: Default
***
2,202 posts
Hydragyrum wrote:
yfaithfully wrote:
superdupernuker wrote:
Vedis wrote:

lore doesnt work that way

thats like saying Starcraft can draw from warcraft lore and warcraft from starcraft lore cuz its the same company


Eorza is its own world, and its new, so the lore isnt gonna be as big to start as games that have a long decade history of sequals based in the SAME world.


That's true to an extent, but S-E is already reusing lore in FFXIV from FFXI, like the Near East. Not to mention they draw from a wide variety of FF staples like goblins, bombs, malboros, chocobos, moogles etc.

Right. Lore doesn't mean necessarily mean a literal history - it means the imaginative bits and pieces that make up a game's story. No one is saying WoW literally has Greek gods in it - it just re-used archetypes that appear in Greek mythology, just as FF games tend to reuse archetypes from game to game. We find them familiar, comforting. It's one reason we play FF games.


Actually, WoW and LoTRO do use literal histories from games/books past. Turbine didn't create the lore for LoTRO, Tolkien did. Turbine simply needed to adjust it for MMO use and later add upon it for expansion packs. Just like Blizzard didn't create Azeroth for WoW, it existed long before. Both of these games have histories to draw upon. Eorzea is brand new and created solely for FFXIV. So while they may reuse monster models and general "the world is ending" scenarios, the history has to be completely invented. That is why I was saying it's unfair to compare FFXIV lore with WoW or LoTRO as the OP did.


True on that, but if i have a new world, i dont want it to be infested with the same mobs i been fighting since FF1 <.<
____________________________
MUTED
#31 Feb 01 2011 at 6:24 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
2,153 posts
No Cactuars?
I say: Burn him/her!
#32 Feb 01 2011 at 7:45 PM Rating: Default
6 posts
Rift = MMO goodness
#33 Feb 01 2011 at 8:01 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
991 posts
Lobe wrote:
Rift = MMO goodness


Rift = MMO clone im sorry to say



and i hate to say it, but this is where alot of MMOs are ending up now, and can you really blame them, if they know itl make them money easier, why try to do anything original
____________________________


#34 Feb 01 2011 at 9:01 PM Rating: Default
***
2,202 posts
Vedis wrote:
Lobe wrote:
Rift = MMO goodness


Rift = MMO clone im sorry to say



and i hate to say it, but this is where alot of MMOs are ending up now, and can you really blame them, if they know itl make them money easier, why try to do anything original


Because FFXIV is not a clone ? Nah! Pure originality huh ?
____________________________
MUTED
#35 Feb 01 2011 at 9:15 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
**
991 posts
Ostia wrote:
Vedis wrote:
Lobe wrote:
Rift = MMO goodness


Rift = MMO clone im sorry to say



and i hate to say it, but this is where alot of MMOs are ending up now, and can you really blame them, if they know itl make them money easier, why try to do anything original


Because FFXIV is not a clone ? Nah! Pure originality huh ?


wasnt saying anything bout 14 actualy, just stating a fact that the more clonelike a game is, the better it seems to do
and the more original features, or things that stray for cloneliness....the more bashed the game gets

pure fact
____________________________


#36 Feb 01 2011 at 9:28 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
1,030 posts
It may not be the best game in its current state, but FFXIV is pretty **** original for it's genre. I'll give it that.
#37 Feb 01 2011 at 10:49 PM Rating: Decent
***
2,202 posts
Vedis wrote:
Ostia wrote:
Vedis wrote:
Lobe wrote:
Rift = MMO goodness


Rift = MMO clone im sorry to say



and i hate to say it, but this is where alot of MMOs are ending up now, and can you really blame them, if they know itl make them money easier, why try to do anything original


Because FFXIV is not a clone ? Nah! Pure originality huh ?


wasnt saying anything bout 14 actualy, just stating a fact that the more clonelike a game is, the better it seems to do
and the more original features, or things that stray for cloneliness....the more bashed the game gets

pure fact


Interesting since, every clone game in the last 8 years has failed or is now a F2P game. I dont think games that stray from the pack get bash for it, is more of how they implement those features more than anything, for example the bazaar concept in this game, for one it was, it is and it will be horrible compared to an ah, and it will probably be replaced, there is no excuse for doing something like that, just for the sake of being Different.

As for being pretty original for it's genre, there is nothing original about this game, it does things differently than other MMO? Yeah, but it also does them in a pretty bad way <.<
____________________________
MUTED
#38 Feb 01 2011 at 11:14 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
*
88 posts
Sorry.

Go play Rift so you can be displeased with the pvp balancing and everyone being forced to play the same three characters and hitting top level in four days.
____________________________


DaevaofWar.com
#39 Feb 01 2011 at 11:18 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
**
597 posts
Uryuu wrote:
And almost forgot that half of WOW's "lore" belongs to Arthurian stories, Norse legend, pop culture references, and the Greek/Roman pantheon.


To say nothing of Final Fantasy, which is essentially Hironobu Sakaguchi's AD&D homebrew setting with all of that stuff thrown in with it.
____________________________
WoW - Andorhal
Darkkiwi - 85 Gnome Unholy Death Knight - <Flaming Bunnies>
Lightkiwi - 72 Gnome Disc Priest - <Flaming Bunnies>
Kwanita - 82 Gnome Frost Mage - <Flaming Bunnies>
Maglyn - 81 Gnome Protection Warrior - <Flaming Bunnies>


Don't play that game anymore. :P
#40 Feb 01 2011 at 11:32 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
***
2,426 posts
lol you guys are funny.

there's a reason rift is more popular in beta than XIV will probably ever be; its a solid, well made game. Does it draw on many conventions and features from other MMOs? Sure. Does the FF series? you bet. Does WoW? uh huh. Trion just has better implementation than most MMOs on the market.

It's not a revolutionary game (like XIV was trying to be?) but it is an evolutionary game. Trion took the next step. They didn't try to reinvent the wheel, they didn't try to be different for the sake of it, and if you understand anything about game design, you will quickly realize that Rift is a very well made title. It's fun, its accessible, its user-friendly, and you're a moron if you think it takes 4 days to get to level cap btw.

You may not like the game, you may be sadpanda that it basically did the armoury in a much more fun and user-friendly fashion, but try to step back and be objective for a second.

So yes, Rift is good. And i want FFXIV to be just as good. Not in the same way. i don't want Final Riftasy XIV. But i want to see the same level of passion, dedication, and commitment to a fun and rich game experience that Trion brought to their title. I actually believe that XIV has the potential to be a "better" game in the long run.

Rift, for all its positive aspects, still has to prove itself in the longhaul. And its very possible that it won't. It probably will. The devs are passionate and obviously love their game. That's pretty much the key, and so far it seems that the new SE team has the love. Looking forward to the outcome.
____________________________
monk
dragoon

#41 Feb 02 2011 at 12:10 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
*
196 posts
I saw FFXIII versus cinematic and watched extensively in to the game play and combat mechanics.. it makes me really wonder what SE was thinking when they made FFXIV ...
____________________________
WoW: we want to give players a more fun time with less grinding and generic quests
GW2: we want the player to feel like they are leveling while doing something fun
Final Fantasy XIV: we want less fun and more grinding
#42 Feb 02 2011 at 12:21 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
1,523 posts
As far as I could tell from the trailer Rift is just a world with a random generation of enemies that change that constantly change the enviroment. How you can do anything else besides killing monsters is beyond me. Isn't lore, quests, etc. something everyone wants here? How can you add that to such an unstable enviroment...
____________________________
____(>°°)D_->__(O°°)>-_<(;,,;)>_C-(°°Q)__O~~_t(°°<)_(;o0)___<(;,,;)>_<(;,,;)>_<(;,,;)>_<(;,,;)>_<(;,,;)>_____

#43 Feb 02 2011 at 12:33 AM Rating: Decent
***
1,313 posts
Llester wrote:
lol you guys are funny.

there's a reason rift is more popular in beta than XIV will probably ever be; its a solid, well made game. Does it draw on many conventions and features from other MMOs? Sure. Does the FF series? you bet. Does WoW? uh huh. Trion just has better implementation than most MMOs on the market.


Yeah... but it's ugly. I played in the last beta and the character models and animations make me cringe.. kinda like warhammer online's. I still think WoW and FFXI will always be better than Rift. I guess I'll never know!
____________________________
Eithne Draocht
My IG: archaicmachinery - Friend me!
#44 Feb 02 2011 at 12:40 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
597 posts
RedGalka wrote:
As far as I could tell from the trailer Rift is just a world with a random generation of enemies that change that constantly change the enviroment. How you can do anything else besides killing monsters is beyond me. Isn't lore, quests, etc. something everyone wants here? How can you add that to such an unstable enviroment...


By swapping quests so that they're more relevant to the situation at hand? I think that you could have some staples that would remain constant (eg. herb gathering, hunting, etc.), and then have others that would be context-sensitive (eg. performing battlefield triage during events vs. just bringing the village doctor medical supplies when things are quiet).
____________________________
WoW - Andorhal
Darkkiwi - 85 Gnome Unholy Death Knight - <Flaming Bunnies>
Lightkiwi - 72 Gnome Disc Priest - <Flaming Bunnies>
Kwanita - 82 Gnome Frost Mage - <Flaming Bunnies>
Maglyn - 81 Gnome Protection Warrior - <Flaming Bunnies>


Don't play that game anymore. :P
#45 Feb 02 2011 at 1:19 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
**
691 posts
I believe this topic has strayed far too much from its original intent.

The point is there's no concrete incentive to play the game at the moment.

You're not paying to play.

There's no carrot in front of you to try to eat if you keep playing.

There's no Skinner Box with its levers and pellets.

The only incentive is personal satisfaction, which happens to be very low on the priority list of casual gamers. They want to look cool, be able to gloat about their shiny things, and above all, casual gamers need a proverbial carrot in front of their noses or else they move on to the next game. Activision (and to a smaller extent, Activision-Blizzard) realized this one unchanging fact of game development early on: If there is no carrot, gamers won't bite. As soon as they run out of carrots, gamers become restless. If they aren't offered another carrot quickly, they move on. This means that you can make a wildly successful game by copying well known lore (the entire expansion Wrath of the Lich King had its lore copied almost word-for-word from Norse, Arthurian, and Pop culture references aside from ICC, which is closely related to The Lord of the Rings books and other well-known series (even Lich King rhymes with Witch King.)
Even hardcore gamers can only go so long without a tangible reward for their efforts...

TL;DR Version:

At this time, there's no incentive to play beyond personal enjoyment. Gamers currently want more than personal enjoyment. They want constant carrots, levers, and pellets. You could make the best game ever in terms of design, balance, and lore, but if there's no carrots, levers, and pellets, it won't retain its players.
#46 Feb 02 2011 at 1:24 AM Rating: Decent
*
172 posts
I got into the last Rift beta, I personally think it's horrible.

Anyone who hated/got bored of the Public Quests in Warhammer online will hate Rift.

The Rifts are just non-static public quests that move around and can actually stop you from questing by killing Quest NPCS. There's no real strategy to kill Rifts besides the boring Tank-DPS-Heals combo, they don't even seem to do any AoE spells. The main strategy to killing them is just sheer number of people not any real strategy.

It seems to me like it copied Warhammer Online way too much, that MMO failed because of it's boredom and I think Rift will too. I called out FFXIV back in it's Open Beta phase as a failure and before WoW came out I knew it'd be a success, so I guess I'm pretty on point with analyzing how well MMOs will do. Come to think of it, I can't think of a single MMO I thought would fail and it didn't. I guess it just takes other people longer to catch onto what MMO formula works and what MMO formula will eventually become too boring to play.

The only reason I only played FFXI for only a month is due to the moronic USA player base and the Elitist Japanese player base, i was either grouped with people who had no idea how to play or people who knew how to play but were extremely anti-social. Is it really that hard to know how to play a game well and still be a social/kind/nice/mature person? Seems hypocritical of me to say that after making fun of people who don't know how to play, but video games to me have always been easy and constantly trying to teach people how to play, who don't even listen, isn't my idea of fun and neither is losing because they don't know how to play.

I guess the main problem is just anti-social behavior. People who don't know how to play, don't listen. People who know how to play, are almost always annoying a-holes. From my complaints you might think i'm the 2nd but for real, when I play I help others, constantly joke around and play the game to have fun. I just can't stand when the people around me ruin my fun I suppose, which is a problem when the most challenging content of MMOs is always group-raid content.

I think I've gotten a little off-topic but anyway.... yea... I just typed words.
#47 Feb 02 2011 at 1:39 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
*
164 posts
RIFT is okay. That's it. Nothing special but theres content and fun to be had. It's in a much better state than FFXIV and has attracted many more players. Honestly, I'd rather play a working solid FFXIV but that doesn't exist and won't for about a year. So it's time to RIFT.

And yes, I completely agree the character models look ****** but the dungeons and content are there. The bosses in the first dungeon of RIFT are harder than any of the max level FFXIV NMs atm so... yeah.
____________________________
Serge Luminaire of Mysidia
Member of Blades of Valor
~ A FFXI/FFXIV Linkshell Community
_________________________________________
Retired from FFXI - EliteSerge of Valefor
Mains: 75 WHM, 75 PLD, 72 NIN, 72 THF
#48 Feb 02 2011 at 2:49 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
2,426 posts
i've had a lot of fun in rift beta. its got me to enjoy mouse/keyboard instead of controller which says quite a bit, because i expected that to be a dealbreaker for me(it was for WoW, among other things). And my character feels very heroic and unusually important for an MMO, due to the rift and invasion mechanics (people comparing rifts to WAR public quests always forget invasions; spawned mobile groups of mobs wreaking havoc across the zone on their way to achieve whatever goal).

The animations and character models aren't great(better than WAR or WoW though), i agree, but after XI and XIV my standards for models/animations are so high i don't expect any western MMO to match up. Basically for art design/animation/CG cutscenes there is FF, and then several notches down, there is everyone else. No doubt someone will prove me wrong with an exception. But really, can anyone do stylish character models like the japanese? no. no they can't.

Speaking of CG, the new Rift trailer, while very well executed, reminded me somewhat of the Malboro fight in the XIV CG movie(mostly the galka-looking dude with the greataxe busting through a wall of ice, tentacles etc etc). Good chance its the same team. Either way, dragon army vs empire warships gives the XIV movie the win easy.


Also, btw, rift is still in beta. its easy to forget lol
____________________________
monk
dragoon

#49 Feb 02 2011 at 3:14 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
22 posts

You get to help shape the game to come and truly enjoy the game when its finished.

Ive been in alot of games at the beginning and almost all of them had problems. The fun for me is playing and watching how the players shape what the game becomes. Even WoW changed after the first few months of play. I remember the fire ball nerf where mages use to be able to shoot off fireballs in .2 sec. (Yes i was a mage) Not many people remember things like that. Pally judgements, Shaman windfury, Rogue destruction, War execute for 22k for those that played back then. In FFXI everyone complained about partying and loot drops but not many know it was alot more difficult at the beginning. Even after years of playing and hearing complaints i knew how bad it really was to begin with. People who showed up after it had been out for 2 years crying about how hard the game was oblivious to the fact it was significantly easier. You appreciate the game alot more when you start in a mess and come out in a game worth playing.

____________________________
FFXI ~Vas 75 MNK BLM RNG NIN Server: Ramuh(Retired 2007)
WoW ~Sik 80 Resto Shammy War,Rogue,DK,Mage,Druid,Priest Server: Akama(Retired 2009)
#50 Feb 02 2011 at 4:28 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
322 posts
I played the rift beta and basically thought to myself

What does this game have that WoW doesn't (as its obviously a huge clone) and what will I get from it in the long run

I didn't find anything it had over WoW except for the convulted class system (lol enjoy your balancing) and the "rift" events (portal comes and monsters come out... wooo)

Everything else was copy paste in an uninspired world that felt like Aion's story with Warhammer's graphics

I usually try every MMO but this one has got to be the most underwhelming of the lot in recent years
____________________________


#51 Feb 02 2011 at 7:00 AM Rating: Good
**
800 posts
Uryuu wrote:
TL;DR Version:

At this time, there's no incentive to play beyond personal enjoyment. Gamers currently want more than personal enjoyment. They want constant carrots, levers, and pellets. You could make the best game ever in terms of design, balance, and lore, but if there's no carrots, levers, and pellets, it won't retain its players.


I just wanted to repost this to try to break up the Rift derailment. MMORPGs really have lost the "RPG". Not that carrots, levers, and pellets are bad, but they shouldn't comprise the entirety of your MMO experience. If you can't come up with at least a few of your own goals, FFXIV may never be the game for you.
« Previous 1 2
This forum is read only
This Forum is Read Only!
Recent Visitors: 19 All times are in CST
Anonymous Guests (19)