Forum Settings
       
1 2 3 Next »
This Forum is Read Only

Pretty dead huh..Follow

#102 Feb 07 2011 at 8:23 PM Rating: Decent
Avatar
*
235 posts
Fabul, which I originally found as being some what empty, is all of a sudden crowded in a lot of places.
____________________________


#103 Feb 08 2011 at 8:57 AM Rating: Default
*
130 posts
xthunderblazex wrote:
Dead game is dead.


Godsrealm wrote:
lol all you fan boy ripping on this kid is sad. He just stated his opinion and you go off on him. Get a life this game is dying unless they save it fast.


FFXIV is not dead, it actually seems more new players are coming and I see others coming back from a break. FF has a special 'thing' atatched to it that most of the other MMOs don't have (and I tried a lot of them to replace ffxi when I stopped playing it, the only one that got me playing for more than 1 month was shaiya for his fun pvp part). FF is special and the basis are there already and we all know what it needs to become great.

/cheers
____________________________

yfaithfully wrote:
To add to those, if you can get this DeLorean up to 88 MPH, you'll be able to play this game in 2019 when they've finally implemented mounts.

#104 Feb 08 2011 at 9:04 AM Rating: Decent
Avatar
*****
12,707 posts
Godsrealm wrote:
lol all you fan boy ripping on this kid is sad. He just stated his opinion and you go off on him. Get a life this game is dying unless they save it fast.


I really don't think anyone who can call someone a fanboy has the right to tell others to "get a life".
____________________________

#105 Feb 08 2011 at 9:28 AM Rating: Decent
****
4,146 posts
This game is pretty dead. Just because there are still people playing it doesn't mean it's thriving. SE and the FF franchise will always have a following and those who do stick around will probably always try and make the case that FF is a 'niche' series and they're glad it's not popular. I'm not sure it's fair to call them all fanboys though since probably half of them would have quit(or better, not even started) or will as soon as it moves from F2P.

The fact remains that this game is still not enjoyable by the standards of the majority of today's gamers. Early release or not, it comes down to how playable and enjoyable a game is now versus the other available options. The longer it takes to get this game to that state, the more competition you have from older games that are improving like WoW and newer games that are being released soon that are more refined like Rift or GW.

Not going to play the entitlement role, but the potential that anyone who has ever played this game(whether in alpha, open beta or currently) should have seen in this project doesn't really inspire anything else but disappointment. We all know it will take a lot of work, but we should all also be able to see just how amazing this could have been. This is the same reason you have people who are still coming back to check in on the status and state of the game. Some happen to be more perceptive of the reality of the situation than others...

____________________________
Rinsui wrote:
Only hips + boobs all day and hips + boobs all over my icecream

HaibaneRenmei wrote:
30 bucks is almost free

cocodojo wrote:
Its personal preference and all, but yes we need to educate WoW players that this is OUR game, these are Characters and not Toons. Time to beat that into them one at a time.
#106 Feb 08 2011 at 10:14 AM Rating: Good
*
130 posts
FilthMcNasty wrote:
This game is pretty dead.


Which is your standard of a dead game? Are you even playing? This bold statement without argument is just useless and serves no prupose. Log in the game and you will see that even Melmond, a not so crowded server is far from empty. New people are coming and some are coming back.

FilthMcNasty wrote:
Just because there are still people playing it doesn't mean it's thriving.


It also does not mean that the game is dead. It has greatly improved upon the few patches we've seen and many more are to come.

FilthMcNasty wrote:
SE and the FF franchise will always have a following and those who do stick around will probably always try and make the case that FF is a 'niche' series and they're glad it's not popular. I'm not sure it's fair to call them all fanboys though since probably half of them would have quit(or better, not even started) or will as soon as it moves from F2P.


That is what I mean by FF is special. the game engine is very different than most of the other MMOs. I'm sticking around and I personally do not care if it's popular or not. I'm playing it because it is now enjoyable to me since they fixed so many annoying issues/bugs.

FilthMcNasty wrote:
The fact remains that this game is still not enjoyable by the standards of the majority of today's gamers.


A game is enjoyable not by any standards of any kind but because of the joyce/pleasure/relaxation and whatever is the feeling that makes you feel you enjoy it. Enjoyment is by definition a feeling and cannot be standardized. I enjoy it, a lot of people I know enjoy it and a lot of people I do not know enjoy it too.

FilthMcNasty wrote:
Early release or not, it comes down to how playable and enjoyable a game is now versus the other available options.


Which is exactly why a lot of us are playing it, because it is more enjoyable and more than playable enough than other available options. Again, it is a matter of personnal feelings and it is not because so many other MMOs have so much more to offer than we HAVE to go play something else. I stopped playing F2P MMOs because they are more free2play, pay2enjoy (specially when some pvp is considered), I do not want to play WoW type of MMOs because the type of graphics/playability is not what I like.

FilthMcNasty wrote:
The longer it takes to get this game to that state, the more competition you have from older games that are improving like WoW and newer games that are being released soon that are more refined like Rift or GW.


It is going to be in that state for many people (if not already) sooner than you think obvisouly. I watched Rift videos and it is not what I'm looking for in a MMOs. Maybe I'm just getting old and those new released MMOs are just not what I like compared to a good old FF and it's storylines and quiet pace.

FilthMcNasty wrote:
Not going to play the entitlement role, but the potential that anyone who has ever played this game(whether in alpha, open beta or currently) should have seen in this project doesn't really inspire anything else but disappointment.


Well currently, it is not a disappointment to most of us playing now, talking about alpha and beta now makes no more sense as it has evolve so much since then.

FilthMcNasty wrote:
We all know it will take a lot of work, but we should all also be able to see just how amazing this could have been. This is the same reason you have people who are still coming back to check in on the status and state of the game. Some happen to be more perceptive of the reality of the situation than others...


Not only could have been but how amazing it will be ;-). And indeed some are more perceptive about the reality of the situation and human beings to be more accurate.


____________________________

yfaithfully wrote:
To add to those, if you can get this DeLorean up to 88 MPH, you'll be able to play this game in 2019 when they've finally implemented mounts.

#107 Feb 08 2011 at 12:43 PM Rating: Decent
****
4,146 posts
What I meant specifically about XIV being dead is the fact that the population swings only slightly, but for the most part moves between declining and stagnant. It's a new game and a low population is expected compared to other games with more time and development like XI, but it is clearly not gaining momentum so I think in this case stagnant is the best word to describe what I meant by dead.

Carmillia wrote:
It has greatly improved upon the few patches we've seen and many more are to come.

I respectfully disagree that it has greatly improved. The only thing that was vastly improved upon was the original battle system that was released in the alpha stages of the game. Unless you were one of the select few(read: unlucky) who got to witness that debacle then you wouldn't have noticed that it went from 'wtf is this bs' to 'mediocre'. You may already have read about how bad it was, but if you haven't and would like to know I can explain it to you. The majority of the rest of the changes really should have been caught and patched prior to release. There is almost a complete lack of content(questing, not endgame) relating to the storylines everyone praises SE so much for. I cannot stress enough that I would have been more than happy to put up with all of the bugs and crashes, UI clutter/lag, lack of auction/choco/airship, keyboard and mouse functionality, et cetra... if I had a handful of quests to introduce me to the lore of Eorzea, her people and my meaning for being there.

I'm not gonna knock you for enjoying the game and I do agree that whatever satisfaction people get from XIV's experience is specific to them, but measurable to a degree. Just like you said, the purpose of this game(or any game for that matter) is entertainment. If it were possible at this point to define the number of sales vs subscriptions, you'd have a clearer picture of how many of the people who tried this product enjoyed it enough to continue playing it. Most people would subscribe to something they enjoy regardless of how popular it is so I think it's a valid comparison. No one has paid a penny toward anything except the box(unless you bought crysta or w/e :P) and still a large amount of those who bought it have put it away until it improves. To me that qualifies a general statement that many people, including those who were eagerly anticipating this game are not satisfied.


Carmillia wrote:
It is going to be in that state for many people (if not already) sooner than you think obvisouly. I watched Rift videos and it is not what I'm looking for in a MMOs. Maybe I'm just getting old and those new released MMOs are just not what I like compared to a good old FF and it's storylines and quiet pace.

I was trying to avoid the entitlement tag, but I guess I'm left with no choice. Nevermind my expectations, but this offering falls far short of even SE's own expectations of themselves and they have voiced this repeatedly. I've been playing FFXI since shortly after the NA PC release and I've followed the development of XIV since I heard of it's development years ago. For a project with so much time for development and coming from such a tenured game production/development company, I really expected far, far better than what was handed out at release.

I commend your optimism for the game and I really do hope it succeeds, but realistically I don't see it becoming something SE or the players would consider successful anytime soon. Not trying to be pessimistic, just realistic.
____________________________
Rinsui wrote:
Only hips + boobs all day and hips + boobs all over my icecream

HaibaneRenmei wrote:
30 bucks is almost free

cocodojo wrote:
Its personal preference and all, but yes we need to educate WoW players that this is OUR game, these are Characters and not Toons. Time to beat that into them one at a time.
#108 Feb 08 2011 at 1:08 PM Rating: Excellent
***
3,178 posts
Mikhalia the Picky wrote:
VitaminD2112 wrote:
clerks1859 wrote:
I don't think this is a good argument.
McDonalds has millions of customers coming again and again to their restaurants. Does that make their food good?


Well you can't really compare it. McDonalds in terms of marketing is the number one fast food restaurant in the world, it's fast food not fine dining. It's a place you go if you're craving a cheeseburger and fries and you don't wanna spend a lot of money. But yeah, I see what you're saying. People who prefer McDonalds over a cheeseburger you can get in In & Out obviously have an uneducated palate. In my opinion, I don't think the best MMOs are the ones that have the most people. I think you need content that satisfies the big and small crowd.Because really, the small crowd is still a **** of a lot of profit. Like your example earlier a restaurant. You good restaurant just doesn't serve protein, they serve vegetables for the vegetarians. But yeah, I hope this new director is thinking about the players and looking to make this MMO the best game, not just for money.


VitaminD2112 wrote:
Yeah Avatar was overated lol. The only good part of the movie was the ending. I was not attached to the characters.


That's actually exactly the point. WoW's popularity is not "because it's a great game"; it has nothing to do with how good or bad the game is. It's popular because it is heavily marketed and it has mass appeal. Rather than focus on being "the best at _____", the game focuses on trying to have a little something for everyone. Stuff to solo and stuff to group for. PvP stuff and PvE stuff. Up until recently, even the commercials for WoW are made up of 5% "This is what you can do in WoW" and 95% "This celebrity plays WoW. ___ million people play WoW. You should play WoW too!"

Without regard to how good or bad the game is (because that's a totally subjective argument), WoW, like McDonalds and Avatar and Walmart is not indisputably the best because it sells the most units; it's simply the most popular option with large mass appeal. Just as I'm sure you could list a store you'd rather shop at than Walmart or a place you'd rather eat than McDonalds or a movie you'd rather watch than Avatar, I'm sure you could list a game you'd rather play than WoW.

Sales -are- still important, because if a game only sells 100 copies worldwide, it's pretty much a flop, no matter how fun it is to the few people that did buy it. This is why FFXIV really does need to be more than just a niche game. I'm not saying that they have to try to appeal to everyone like other games might. I'm not even saying that I personally give a sh*t whether the game has 500k, 5 mil, or 50 million players because the only players that affect me are the ones on my server. However, if they don't bring in enough people to comfortably pay the bills on the servers and staff and also make a tidy profit, they will eventually have to close the servers.

Games may be a labor of love for some developers, but no one is going to host a game that is costing them more money every month than they are bringing in, no matter how much their customers love the game. It's just bad business sense.


I think about this alot. I would bet that Taco Bell's most requested hot sauce is mild.

Do you have to be fairly mild to have universal acclaim?

I'm thinking Beetles and Coca Cola. As soon as you specialize you lose a percentage of the population. Theory applies to politics in a big way.

#109 Feb 08 2011 at 2:30 PM Rating: Good
**
291 posts
SP patch has been the CPR. Next patch will be the stabilizer.
____________________________
Battle Mage Kiru
#110 Feb 08 2011 at 11:10 PM Rating: Decent
Avatar
**
931 posts
i really dont understand why ppl defend FFXIV/square enix like its your child. most of you are adults and yet you act like immature babies that cant discuss whats wrong with the game, or act unbiased for one second, because youre trying to defend the time you pour into it... well i don't care what you do with your time. i dont feel like i said anything that was really untrue about the game so why flip out on me.

you can accept the bad things about this game, and accept that a lot of people are unhappy with their purchase... and still have hope that it will get better.

its not like pretending to be super happy with FFXIV and defending square enix is somehow going to bring more people in. its just goign to make this community look like a bunch of lunatics.

and people crying that FFXIV is good because final fantasy is so special and square enix is so special and everything is so emotional well just shut up because just because it's technically linked to cloud/sephiroth/moogles/your earlier gaming memories doesn't mean youre some slave to the franchise. square enix is just a business and this is barely even a final fantasy game. cant even ride a ******* chocobo after 4 months of release

Edited, Feb 9th 2011 12:13am by Poubelle
____________________________
MUTED
#111 Feb 08 2011 at 11:31 PM Rating: Decent
Edited by bsphil
******
21,739 posts
Poubelle wrote:
i really dont understand why ppl defend FFXIV/square enix like its your child. most of you are adults and yet you act like immature babies that cant discuss whats wrong with the game, or act unbiased for one second, because youre trying to defend the time you pour into it... well i don't care what you do with your time. i dont feel like i said anything that was really untrue about the game so why flip out on me.
I really don't understand why people play the maturity card with the grammar and spelling of a 7th grader. Wouldn't that be the ideal point to take an extra moment to capitalize the first letter of the sentence and throw the necessary apostrophe?

Well, I don't care what you do with your time. I don't feel like I said anything that was really untrue about the structure of your post, so don't flip out at me.

For what it's worth, I partially agree with your message. The presentation ruins it though.
____________________________
His Excellency Aethien wrote:
Almalieque wrote:
If no one debated with me, then I wouldn't post here anymore.
Take the hint guys, please take the hint.
gbaji wrote:
I'm not getting my news from anywhere Joph.
#112 Feb 08 2011 at 11:40 PM Rating: Decent
Avatar
**
931 posts
k well i dont really understand why people play the grammar **** card when they cant think of an intelligent response and what if i am in 7th grade. either way it's late, I'm tired, get over it and if you can read what I'm saying then i've put forth enough effort for an online forum, I'm clearly not whoring for rate ups and im not writing a book
____________________________
MUTED
#113 Feb 08 2011 at 11:44 PM Rating: Decent
Edited by bsphil
******
21,739 posts
Poubelle wrote:
k well i dont really understand why people play the grammar **** card when they cant think of an intelligent response and what if i am in 7th grade. either way it's late, I'm tired, get over it and if you can read what I'm saying then i've put forth enough effort for an online forum, I'm clearly not whoring for rate ups and im not writing a book
You don't want to put in the time to make it look decent, I don't want to put in the time reading it. Call it even, I guess. Be serious about composing what you have to say and I'll be serious about reading it. It's not like writing the correct way is that much more work, a couple extra keystrokes per sentence on average.



Edited, Feb 8th 2011 11:47pm by bsphil
____________________________
His Excellency Aethien wrote:
Almalieque wrote:
If no one debated with me, then I wouldn't post here anymore.
Take the hint guys, please take the hint.
gbaji wrote:
I'm not getting my news from anywhere Joph.
#114 Feb 08 2011 at 11:46 PM Rating: Default
Avatar
**
931 posts
you did read it though, lol. rated down for lying

that was a lie i cant rate people
____________________________
MUTED
#115 Feb 08 2011 at 11:48 PM Rating: Decent
Edited by bsphil
******
21,739 posts
Poubelle wrote:
you did read it though, lol. rated down for lying

that was a lie i cant rate people
Read the first sentence and stopped after seeing "immature".
____________________________
His Excellency Aethien wrote:
Almalieque wrote:
If no one debated with me, then I wouldn't post here anymore.
Take the hint guys, please take the hint.
gbaji wrote:
I'm not getting my news from anywhere Joph.
#116 Feb 09 2011 at 12:09 AM Rating: Good
****
4,146 posts
bsphil wrote:
Be serious about composing what you have to say and I'll be serious about reading it. It's not like writing the correct way is that much more work, a couple extra keystrokes per sentence on average.


I don't think it matters much really. You still have people strolling through posts rating people down despite their grammar and punctuation simply because they disagree with something you say. Immaturity and the internet go hand in hand it seems. I don't so much mind if people disagree or even if they want to rate me down, but they should be required to attach some sort of message to it at least to let you know what they challenge or disagree with. Kids these days =/
____________________________
Rinsui wrote:
Only hips + boobs all day and hips + boobs all over my icecream

HaibaneRenmei wrote:
30 bucks is almost free

cocodojo wrote:
Its personal preference and all, but yes we need to educate WoW players that this is OUR game, these are Characters and not Toons. Time to beat that into them one at a time.
#117 Feb 09 2011 at 12:33 AM Rating: Decent
Edited by bsphil
******
21,739 posts
FilthMcNasty wrote:
bsphil wrote:
Be serious about composing what you have to say and I'll be serious about reading it. It's not like writing the correct way is that much more work, a couple extra keystrokes per sentence on average.
I don't think it matters much really. You still have people strolling through posts rating people down despite their grammar and punctuation simply because they disagree with something you say. Immaturity and the internet go hand in hand it seems. I don't so much mind if people disagree or even if they want to rate me down, but they should be required to attach some sort of message to it at least to let you know what they challenge or disagree with. Kids these days =/
It's all about playing probabilities. There will always be at least somewhat of a chance for some unfavorable outcome to occur. There are steps you can do to reduce that likelihood, one of which is taking a bit of extra time to compose your thoughts to at least give the impression that you are more mature and that your thoughts are worth more consideration.
____________________________
His Excellency Aethien wrote:
Almalieque wrote:
If no one debated with me, then I wouldn't post here anymore.
Take the hint guys, please take the hint.
gbaji wrote:
I'm not getting my news from anywhere Joph.
#118 Feb 09 2011 at 1:04 AM Rating: Decent
****
4,146 posts
You mean like composing complete sentences structured together on topic in nice, neat paragraphs with simple explanations? Yeah, that still doesn't work XD
____________________________
Rinsui wrote:
Only hips + boobs all day and hips + boobs all over my icecream

HaibaneRenmei wrote:
30 bucks is almost free

cocodojo wrote:
Its personal preference and all, but yes we need to educate WoW players that this is OUR game, these are Characters and not Toons. Time to beat that into them one at a time.
#119 Feb 09 2011 at 3:52 AM Rating: Decent
**
291 posts
Actually, Pou

I think we all understand what's been wrong with the game.

The thing is - it's not dead.
I'm having a boat load of fun as we speak.
____________________________
Battle Mage Kiru
1 2 3 Next »
This forum is read only
This Forum is Read Only!
Recent Visitors: 15 All times are in CST
Anonymous Guests (15)