Forum Settings
       
« Previous 1 2 3 4
This Forum is Read Only

Let's talk about "fans" vs. "fleas"...Follow

#1 Feb 03 2011 at 11:54 AM Rating: Decent
**
440 posts
Historically, human beings have a nasty tendency of "aligning" themselves with things. This is an age-old instinct that allowed humans to better survive via tribes, kingdoms and clans.

However, these days, we see this same instinct rear its ugly head in the form of people defending their purchasing decisions, and this is what gives birth to what I call "fleas".

If you are a "fan" of something, you enjoy it but you can still critique it, sometimes even harshly. Even the most embittered fan still enjoys the game in question on some level if they stick around to criticize it. Criticizing something is just a way of saying "I wish this was made better because it deserves to be better". If something was truly so awful that the fans saw no potential in it, they would leave (sorry, trolls, but if you didn't still care about the game on some level, you wouldn't be here).

Fans are necessary for a game to survive and are certainly necessary for FFXIV to survive.

"Fleas" are another matter because they love to cling to something and say it's wonderful, seeing themselves as a part of it and never criticizing it no matter how bad it actually is. They vehemently defend it from all "attackers" and blindly love it even when it needs improvement in order to survive. Fleas will happily label fans who criticize the game as "trolls", and they have no qualms about driving fans and other paying customers away from the game. They do this because, the more alone they are in liking a game, the more it makes them feel "unique" and "special".

Fleas even love bad things that need fixing. There's nothing fleas love more than figuring out how to use bad system, then proudly proclaiming that they have mastered it and ridiculing all others who have trouble with it or point out that it's a bad system. To a flea, braving mediocrity is a badge of honor whereas sensible people correctly see it as idiocy.

Fleas have no actual love for a game, however. They only seek something to align themselves with so they can feel better about themselves. These are the same kinds of people who love to root for sports teams who usually win but will quickly root for another team when that team starts to lose. When the game dies from lack of good feedback, the fleas will simply jump off and find another host (game) to suck blood (self-validation) from.

Fleas are what will kill FFXIV, doing nothing to save the game from its potential impending doom, because they will not dare criticize something they see as a part of themselves.

You are not a flea if you:
-contribute feedback about improving the game to SE, either here or the feedback submission form.
-accept that some people simply won't like the game and that it's okay. The game is a leisure activity, not a banner under which you've joined to fight for a cause.
-don't take personal offense to people ragging on the game as if they were ragging on you personally.

In short: We're players playing a game, and that's all it is: a GAME. It's not a religion. It's not a banner. It's not a cause. It's a leisure activity, and it needs our critique, not our undying affection.

Edited, Feb 5th 2011 4:38pm by TheRealDestian
____________________________

[ffxivsig]1809919[/ffxivsig]
#2 Feb 03 2011 at 11:57 AM Rating: Default
Scholar
**
812 posts
Yay, yet another thread designed to cause nothing but animosity in the forums. rated down
____________________________
Abaddon Active Player Roster
- All your Fabul Sever are belong to us! -

[ffxivsig]1815754[/ffxivsig]
#3yfaithfully, Posted: Feb 03 2011 at 11:58 AM, Rating: Sub-Default, (Expand Post) Fleas suck blood? I thought ticks did that.
#4 Feb 03 2011 at 11:58 AM Rating: Default
*
169 posts
the troll wait for oppotunity to creater thread like those.
#5 Feb 03 2011 at 12:02 PM Rating: Decent
**
440 posts
Jefro420 wrote:
Yay, yet another thread designed to cause nothing but animosity in the forums. rated down


No, I'm trying (rather desperately) to point out that blind fanboyism does NOTHING to help this game and in fact is only going to help KILL the game.

Some of the fanboyism on this forum is nothing shy of frightening. I enjoy the game, but I can't fathom how some people can say without irony that it's the best game ever made and that it shouldn't be changed.
____________________________

[ffxivsig]1809919[/ffxivsig]
#6 Feb 03 2011 at 12:04 PM Rating: Good
**
557 posts
If you think it's bad here, check out ffxivcore.com. I find this place almost even-handed.
____________________________

[ffxivsig]1809646[/ffxivsig]
#7 Feb 03 2011 at 12:07 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
*****
12,804 posts
TheRealDestian wrote:
Jefro420 wrote:
Yay, yet another thread designed to cause nothing but animosity in the forums. rated down


No, I'm trying (rather desperately) to point out that blind fanboyism


Problem here is though, people who are cynical/butthurt towards the game will call absolutely anything positive or non-cynical as blind fanboyism.
____________________________

#8 Feb 03 2011 at 12:08 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
**
812 posts
TheRealDestian wrote:
I enjoy the game, but I can't fathom how some people can say without irony that it's the best game ever made and that it shouldn't be changed.

But nobody is saying that. I challenge you to link to one post where that's what is being said.
____________________________
Abaddon Active Player Roster
- All your Fabul Sever are belong to us! -

[ffxivsig]1815754[/ffxivsig]
#9 Feb 03 2011 at 12:13 PM Rating: Decent
**
440 posts
Jefro420 wrote:
TheRealDestian wrote:
I enjoy the game, but I can't fathom how some people can say without irony that it's the best game ever made and that it shouldn't be changed.

But nobody is saying that. I challenge you to link to one post where that's what is being said.


Here's a specific nugget, but I don't want to out the poster (though they'll no doubt see it, I'm sure)...

Quote:
What's really sad, is that this game is still in development, is basically a beta, was released way too soon, was misdirected by the old team, and is still more fun than any other mmo on the market...

Seriously, if SE's flops are better than the biggest and most popular mmo's on day 1, then wtf.


If that doesn't convince you, then fine.

Suggesting that I need to prove that fleas exist on these forums is like trying to prove cigarettes are bad for your health in a room full of people dying of lung cancer.

Edited, Feb 3rd 2011 1:13pm by TheRealDestian
____________________________

[ffxivsig]1809919[/ffxivsig]
#10 Feb 03 2011 at 12:19 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
812 posts
really, that's the best you can come up with? clearly that poster is not saying the game is perfect, in fact they said quite the opposite that it has a host of issues and that it was released to early and regardless of those facts, they find it more fun than the other MMOs on the market right now.


Edited, Feb 3rd 2011 1:20pm by Jefro420
____________________________
Abaddon Active Player Roster
- All your Fabul Sever are belong to us! -

[ffxivsig]1815754[/ffxivsig]
#11 Feb 03 2011 at 12:23 PM Rating: Good
****
9,526 posts
Why didn't you just post this drivel in the "being a white knight doesn't help the game" thread?

Or are you too much of a special snowflake to admit you're expressing the same opinion?

____________________________
lolgaxe wrote:
When it comes to sitting around not doing anything for long periods of time, only being active for short windows, and marginal changes and sidegrades I'd say FFXI players were the perfect choice for politicians.


#12 Feb 03 2011 at 12:23 PM Rating: Good
*
82 posts
TheRealDestian wrote:
I enjoy the game, but I can't fathom how some people can say without irony that it's the best game ever made and that it shouldn't be changed.


I have NEVER seen anyone post this, and I will gladly eat crow if you can link me to a forum post where someone does so. I'm going out on a limb to say you cannot do so, however, because this is just another wild exageration. The VAST majority of the posters on this site have well-grounded arguments for their positions, and even those who play and enjoy the game currently realize the game has been and will continue to move forward in a positive direction. They choose to largely focus on the positive progress which has been made, rather than on the aspects which are lacking. For them this creates an ambience they can enjoy while SE works to make further improvements. They are "glass half full", and they are more than entitled to be.

Rate down.
#13 Feb 03 2011 at 12:30 PM Rating: Decent
**
440 posts
Mistress Theonehio wrote:
Problem here is though, people who are cynical/butthurt towards the game will call absolutely anything positive or non-cynical as blind fanboyism.


Well, not necessarily.

The moderate view is that the game has potential, can be fun, but needs a great deal more work before it'll stand up on its own in the current MMO market.

I want people to realize that being fleas for this game equates malice, that by seeing it as nothing but wonderful is killing it.
____________________________

[ffxivsig]1809919[/ffxivsig]
#14 Feb 03 2011 at 12:36 PM Rating: Decent
**
440 posts
Olorinus the Vile wrote:
Why didn't you just post this drivel in the "being a white knight doesn't help the game" thread?

Or are you too much of a special snowflake to admit you're expressing the same opinion?



Because "white knight" gives too much of a positive connotation to what this type of person is.

I've seen fleas kill games before and I simply don't want to see them kill FFXIV.

Jefro420 wrote:
really, that's the best you can come up with? clearly that poster is not saying the game is perfect, in fact they said quite the opposite that it has a host of issues and that it was released to early and regardless of those facts, they find it more fun than the other MMOs on the market right now.


No, I could spend hours going through these forums and finding piles of morbid fanboyism, but it wouldn't matter because, let's be honest here, there's only three ways this would end:

1. I post evidence and you criticize it for not being the proper evidence and you rate my posts down.

2. I post the most ungodly pile of morbid fanboyism and you claim it's just one instance and rate my posts down anyway.

3. I spend days tracking down a massive pile of evidence that proves my point beyond a shadow of a doubt. Having no counter argument, you stop posting in the thread but continue to rate my posts down anyway.

So I'll go with option #4: ignore you and you rate my posts down anyway.
____________________________

[ffxivsig]1809919[/ffxivsig]
#15 Feb 03 2011 at 12:39 PM Rating: Good
****
9,526 posts
TheRealDestian wrote:

Because "white knight" gives too much of a positive connotation to what this type of person is.

I've seen fleas kill games before and I simply don't want to see them kill FFXIV.


Oh so you made a whole thread just to call people you disagree with a nasty name? You deserve every rate down you get.

____________________________
lolgaxe wrote:
When it comes to sitting around not doing anything for long periods of time, only being active for short windows, and marginal changes and sidegrades I'd say FFXI players were the perfect choice for politicians.


#16 Feb 03 2011 at 12:41 PM Rating: Decent
**
440 posts
Elswick78 wrote:
I have NEVER seen anyone post this, and I will gladly eat crow if you can link me to a forum post where someone does so. I'm going out on a limb to say you cannot do so, however, because this is just another wild exageration. The VAST majority of the posters on this site have well-grounded arguments for their positions, and even those who play and enjoy the game currently realize the game has been and will continue to move forward in a positive direction. They choose to largely focus on the positive progress which has been made, rather than on the aspects which are lacking. For them this creates an ambience they can enjoy while SE works to make further improvements. They are "glass half full", and they are more than entitled to be.

Rate down.


Even if I am exaggerating a bit, the sentiment remains the same.

And no, the "glass is half full" isn't getting the game anywhere. Yes, the improvements are good, but ask yourself this simple question: If FFXIV launched right now in its current state, would the reviews it got have REALLY been that much better? Would the sheer number of people who left the game have stayed?

I say no on both counts, which means that we're all saying "Yay! The game is better!" because it was better than it WAS a few months ago, but we still have a long, steep climb ahead of us before this game is truly ready for "launch".

As soon as no playerbase for this game is left but a bunch of fleas sitting around and talking about how great the game is, FFXIV has seen its end, and yes, I still see more than enough of that on these forums to say that it's a concern.
____________________________

[ffxivsig]1809919[/ffxivsig]
#17 Feb 03 2011 at 12:43 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
812 posts
TheRealDestian wrote:
Olorinus the Vile wrote:
Why didn't you just post this drivel in the "being a white knight doesn't help the game" thread?

Or are you too much of a special snowflake to admit you're expressing the same opinion?



Because "white knight" gives too much of a positive connotation to what this type of person is.

I've seen fleas kill games before and I simply don't want to see them kill FFXIV.

Jefro420 wrote:
really, that's the best you can come up with? clearly that poster is not saying the game is perfect, in fact they said quite the opposite that it has a host of issues and that it was released to early and regardless of those facts, they find it more fun than the other MMOs on the market right now.


No, I could spend hours going through these forums and finding piles of morbid fanboyism, but it wouldn't matter because, let's be honest here, there's only three ways this would end:

1. I post evidence and you criticize it for not being the proper evidence and you rate my posts down.

2. I post the most ungodly pile of morbid fanboyism and you claim it's just one instance and rate my posts down anyway.

3. I spend days tracking down a massive pile of evidence that proves my point beyond a shadow of a doubt. Having no counter argument, you stop posting in the thread but continue to rate my posts down anyway.

So I'll go with option #4: ignore you and you rate my posts down anyway.

I won't rate you down for something I asked you to do, that's just stupid and would really be quite rude of me. My point is and others can attest to, nobody is saying this game is perfect. You have yet to provide a single example of where anyone said it is. The example you attempted to provide was not even close to saying the game is perfect. So again, the challenge still remains; show me one example because I have not seen any.
____________________________
Abaddon Active Player Roster
- All your Fabul Sever are belong to us! -

[ffxivsig]1815754[/ffxivsig]
#18 Feb 03 2011 at 12:44 PM Rating: Decent
**
440 posts
Olorinus the Vile wrote:
Oh so you made a whole thread just to call people you disagree with a nasty name? You deserve every rate down you get.


First of all, I don't care about rate downs. If I did, I wouldn't have made a thread that would so obviously be unpopular. Do you honestly think I'd make a thread calling blind fanboys "fleas" and not expect it to get rated down?

Second, what "people I disagree with" are you referring to? I didn't end the post with "And here are a list of fleas on this forum...", nor was that my intention.

All I did was suggest that a person who can see no wrong with FFXIV is killing it, and I stand by that.
____________________________

[ffxivsig]1809919[/ffxivsig]
#19 Feb 03 2011 at 12:47 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
**
812 posts
TheRealDestian wrote:

Even if I am exaggerating a bit, the sentiment remains the same.

And no, the "glass is half full" isn't getting the game anywhere. Yes, the improvements are good, but ask yourself this simple question: If FFXIV launched right now in its current state, would the reviews it got have REALLY been that much better? Would the sheer number of people who left the game have stayed?

I say no on both counts, which means that we're all saying "Yay! The game is better!" because it was better than it WAS a few months ago, but we still have a long, steep climb ahead of us before this game is truly ready for "launch".

As soon as no playerbase for this game is left but a bunch of fleas sitting around and talking about how great the game is, FFXIV has seen its end, and yes, I still see more than enough of that on these forums to say that it's a concern.


I will be the first to admit, that I've been one of the 'glass-half-full' folks ever since beta. Now, even though I submit feedback to SE on a continual basis, because I like what the game does have to offer in it current state and I express that opinion, I'm somehow making the game worse?

Your logic confounds me.
____________________________
Abaddon Active Player Roster
- All your Fabul Sever are belong to us! -

[ffxivsig]1815754[/ffxivsig]
#20 Feb 03 2011 at 12:49 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
**
812 posts
TheRealDestian wrote:
All I did was suggest that a person who can see no wrong with FFXIV is killing it, and I stand by that.

...and the point remains that I don't think there is anyone on these forums who doesn't recognize the the game has problems.
____________________________
Abaddon Active Player Roster
- All your Fabul Sever are belong to us! -

[ffxivsig]1815754[/ffxivsig]
#21 Feb 03 2011 at 12:54 PM Rating: Excellent
***
3,177 posts
It goes both ways, there are posters on both sides of the spectrum.

Personally, on the forums I've seen more flames on the game (posters like Ostia, etc) who think the game will never improve and just come on a game they "hate" just to bash it repeatedly. That doesn't help anyone either.

There has to be a medium between "game will never change, is terrible, sucks, lolffxiv" and "game is perfect, haters stop hatin, yoshi-p will make everything rainbows and shiny sparkles" that people can agree with.

But you can't expect to have that rationale on the internet, no matter how much you try.


Edit: Just want to point out that I'm extremely optimistic about the game, I don't think it was perfect, hasn't been. But I'm a very patient person, as long as there is no monthly fee, I don't mind waiting for it to become a respectable standard. Of course I know others don't feel this way, but this is my personal opinion.

Edited, Feb 3rd 2011 10:55am by UltKnightGrover
____________________________
Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn
Grover Eyeveen - Hyperion Server
Viva Eorzea Free Company/Linkshell Leader - Hyperion Server

Aegis Server (2012-2013)
Figaro Server (2010-2012)

Final Fantasy XI:
Retired

Blog
#22 Feb 03 2011 at 12:54 PM Rating: Decent
**
440 posts
Jefro420 wrote:
I will be the first to admit, that I've been one of the 'glass-half-full' folks ever since beta. Now, even though I submit feedback to SE on a continual basis, because I like what the game does have to offer in it current state and I express that opinion, I'm somehow making the game worse?

Your logic confounds me.


Then you're clearly not a flea.

I'm not talking about the people who LIKE the improvement but still see room for improvement because I too am one of those people. I'm making a broad sweeping statement in the hopes that people (whether they're reading this or not) will see this, realize that there's no wrong in criticizing the game and do so constructively (like I said in the OP).

Is this necessary? Maybe, maybe not, but if even one person sees this and decides that they should be giving more feedback, I'd have done what I set out to do.
____________________________

[ffxivsig]1809919[/ffxivsig]
#23 Feb 03 2011 at 12:58 PM Rating: Default
Scholar
***
1,104 posts
#24 Feb 03 2011 at 12:58 PM Rating: Good
**
800 posts
You make it sound like it's a mortal sin to enjoy playing FFXIV or something. Am I a blind fanboy for enjoying leveling up my lancer or archer? Am I a blind fanboy because I like to gather and craft and make my own gear and weapons? Am I a blind fanboy because I like getting together with the LS and any random pick-ups to do behest? After all, actually enjoying the game indicates that it's at least a decent game. But according to you saying FFXIV is a good game equates to blind fanboyism.

Does it need work? Of course. Is it fun for me? Yup. Should I call a game I enjoy playing bad simply because it needs more work? No. Do I need to continuously whine on a fan-based forum to voice my minor displeasure with a few aspects of the game that are clearly already out in the open? No!

So stop trying to polarize the fan base by separating them into "Fans" or Fleas", "Knights" or Trolls", "Fanboys" and "Haters", etc. You have to realize Yoshida-P does not wear blinders. He isn't limiting his views to the "fleas/knights/fanboys". He's listening to constructive criticism more. If you read between the lines of his "Letters from the Producers" you'll notice he's referenced quite a few of the topics heavily discussed here on Zam. He does not say, "Oh, Hydragyrum thinks the game is perfect as is, my work is done!" No, he says, "The majority of the fan base still want X, Y, and Z features, so we've included them on our "to do" list." So even if these "fleas" do exist (I'm not sure they do), they most certainly are NOT hurting the development of FFXIV because Yoshida-P appears smart enough to ignore both extremes.

/rant
#25 Feb 03 2011 at 1:01 PM Rating: Good
*****
11,539 posts
This thread calls for a poll.
____________________________
[ffxisig]55836[/ffxisig]

Mikhalia: and FWIW, my posts are 95% helpful, informative, or funny.
Mikhalia: only 5% or less of my posts are utter crap.
Tyapex: 393 posts of utter crap...
Mikhalia: Sounds about right.
#26 Feb 03 2011 at 1:04 PM Rating: Default
***
1,608 posts
BrokenFox wrote:
lol

____________________________

#27 Feb 03 2011 at 1:08 PM Rating: Excellent
***
3,178 posts
Mikhalia the Picky wrote:
This thread calls for a poll.


Haha Mik. You are going to change the world one poll at a time.

Mikhalia for President!
#28 Feb 03 2011 at 1:10 PM Rating: Decent
Avatar
***
1,609 posts
And this does what except belittle a group of people? Rate down as soon as i am on my laptop and is this thread a lockable one prease?
____________________________
[ffxivsig]850684[/ffxivsig]

"I've never watched a nuclear explosion myself. That's a couple of degrees of stupid above my limit"- Old Man Harris
#29 Feb 03 2011 at 1:21 PM Rating: Decent
**
557 posts
I'm not entirely following the "fans" vs. "fleas" distinction, but there is something about the FFXIV community that makes it fanboy-ish. It's not entirely present here, but on other forums (*cough* FFXIVCore.com) you get the distinct impression that fans of other MMOs (namely WoW) and people who dislike FFXIV are generally looked down upon.

I'd say, for a game that's supposed to have such a great community, I haven't found it any more sophisticated, mature, or pleasant than WoW's community at large.

It's not so much "white knights" that are a problem, but more the overall defensiveness and insecurity of some of its fans. You won't find any who thinks FFXIV is perfect, but you'll find many that have so much contempt for other gaming communities that it might as well be.

I wouldn't say that's a huge problem here, though.
____________________________

[ffxivsig]1809646[/ffxivsig]
#30 Feb 03 2011 at 1:25 PM Rating: Excellent
**
800 posts
yfaithfully wrote:
I'm not entirely following the "fans" vs. "fleas" distinction, but there is something about the FFXIV community that makes it fanboy-ish. It's not entirely present here, but on other forums (*cough* FFXIVCore.com) you get the distinct impression that fans of other MMOs (namely WoW) and people who dislike FFXIV are generally looked down upon.

I'd say, for a game that's supposed to have such a great community, I haven't found it any more sophisticated, mature, or pleasant than WoW's community at large.

It's not so much "white knights" that are a problem, but more the overall defensiveness and insecurity of some of its fans. You won't find any who thinks FFXIV is perfect, but you'll find many that have so much contempt for other gaming communities that it might as well be.

I wouldn't say that's a huge problem here, though.


FFXIV is also the only forum I've ever frequented that is home to numerous people who hate the game and no longer play it, yet continue to lurk on the forums. With any other game I've played, if someone stops playing, they stop posting. Why is it that FFXIV quitters can't seem to let go? This is why some of us get defensive, because people who clearly will never enjoy the game continue to bash it on these forums.
#31 Feb 03 2011 at 1:28 PM Rating: Excellent
Scholar
22 posts
I don't believe any of the fanboys or fleas, white knights or whatever you call 'em have any affect on SE's opinion towards how the game is being perceived. Obviously, they know something is wrong due to the lack of people playing the game and the free subs is proof of that. For instance, if the goal is to attain 1 million players and all you have is 250,000 with even 50%(or even 100%) of that 250,000 saying they love the game, it is still a failure and changes need to be made because your majority, the 750,000 is still unhappy, therefore not playing.
____________________________
"Scientists have discovered that saliva actually causes cancer, but only after digesting it in small portions over a long period of time" -G. Carlin-
#32 Feb 03 2011 at 1:33 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
1,104 posts
Hydragyrum wrote:


FFXIV is also the only forum I've ever frequented that is home to numerous people who hate the game and no longer play it, yet continue to lurk on the forums.


I haven't seen many of those. I think everyone here wants to see the game succeed, whether they're bashing the game, praising the game, or are somewhere in between. We just have different ways of expressing our frustrations with it, or lack of. In the end everyone just wants this game to be a good one.

Edited, Feb 3rd 2011 2:40pm by BrokenFox
#33 Feb 03 2011 at 1:39 PM Rating: Excellent
Scholar
**
812 posts
The best thing that could be done is not to belittle those who are on either side of the spectrum, which I think the OP does. Whether you call them fanboys or fleas, it's derogatory and does nothing to create good open debate from which great suggestions might actually arise. What needs to happen is that the name calling (fleas/fanboys/white knights/haters/etc) and trolling needs to stop because that does nothing but hurt this community.
____________________________
Abaddon Active Player Roster
- All your Fabul Sever are belong to us! -

[ffxivsig]1815754[/ffxivsig]
#34 Feb 03 2011 at 1:41 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
***
1,104 posts
Jefro420 wrote:
The best thing that could be done is not to belittle those who are on either side of the spectrum, which I think the OP does. Whether you call them fanboys or fleas, it's derogatory and does nothing to create good open debate from which great suggestions might actually arise. What needs to happen is that the name calling (fleas/fanboys/white knights/haters/etc) and trolling needs to stop because that does nothing but hurt this community.


Agreed. There's far too much animosity and name calling over differing opinions. You're either a WHITE KNIGHT or a TROLL.

It's really silly.

Edited, Feb 3rd 2011 2:43pm by BrokenFox
#35 Feb 03 2011 at 1:47 PM Rating: Excellent
*****
11,539 posts
I believe that the people on both far ends of the spectrum; the ones who think SE's **** doesn't stink and the ones who think that SE is the second coming of Hitler, are a tiny minority. They may be a loud, annoying minority, but they are still the minority.

In my experience on these boards, I'd wager that the vast majority of posters, whether they still play or have quit, are all posting for the same reason: They want the game to be successful.

In the case of the people who are playing, they're worried that the game could get changed in such a way that could ruin it for them and make it no longer fun. In the case of people who are not playing, they're hopeful that the game will change in such a way that it will be fun for them.

The X factors that anyone would ascribe to making the game fun will vary from person to person, but most people just want to see the game succeed, I think.

However, there is a bit of perpetual annoyance in that there always seem to be people who don't want to hear anything positive about this travesty of a disaster and there always seem to be people who don't want to hear even the hint that their flawless masterpiece might need improvement.

These people, as I said, are just a very very vocal miniroty.
____________________________
[ffxisig]55836[/ffxisig]

Mikhalia: and FWIW, my posts are 95% helpful, informative, or funny.
Mikhalia: only 5% or less of my posts are utter crap.
Tyapex: 393 posts of utter crap...
Mikhalia: Sounds about right.
#36 Feb 03 2011 at 1:52 PM Rating: Decent
***
1,313 posts
A month or 2 back this would have been relevant, but why now?

They changed the dev team.
Changed the direction.
Set out a plan.
Released a patch.
Another one is coming out in a couple weeks.
They've even gone as far as considering adding jump, which is the last thing I thought they'd ever do.

The game is improving. There is no longer any reason to condemn or commend it. At this point if you like playing now, play. If you don't but think it will improve in the future, come back in the future.



____________________________
Eithne Draocht
My IG: archaicmachinery - Friend me!
#37 Feb 03 2011 at 1:56 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
**
691 posts
So, after tons of change...in fact, more change than any MMO has ever undergone before in less than 3 years, you decide to make this post. It seems to me that this thread was meant for last year or something, not now, and not any time in the future.
#38 Feb 03 2011 at 1:57 PM Rating: Decent
Avatar
***
1,609 posts
Because the op doesn't have anything better else to do? Just a guess.
____________________________
[ffxivsig]850684[/ffxivsig]

"I've never watched a nuclear explosion myself. That's a couple of degrees of stupid above my limit"- Old Man Harris
#39 Feb 03 2011 at 2:12 PM Rating: Good
*****
11,539 posts
LillithaFenimore wrote:
Because the op doesn't have anything better else to do? Just a guess.


Probably. That's why I post from work.
____________________________
[ffxisig]55836[/ffxisig]

Mikhalia: and FWIW, my posts are 95% helpful, informative, or funny.
Mikhalia: only 5% or less of my posts are utter crap.
Tyapex: 393 posts of utter crap...
Mikhalia: Sounds about right.
#40 Feb 03 2011 at 2:31 PM Rating: Decent
*
213 posts
pointless thread
/delete!!!
____________________________

[ffxivsig]1808822[/ffxivsig]
#41 Feb 03 2011 at 2:51 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
***
1,609 posts
Mikhalia the Picky wrote:
LillithaFenimore wrote:
Because the op doesn't have anything better else to do? Just a guess.


Probably. That's why I post from work.


LOL Mik. Well when my little one gives me a few minutes of a break here and there that's when I post :P Like right now...she making her little toy snail crawl and she's chasing it :P Pointless thread is pointless :P
____________________________
[ffxivsig]850684[/ffxivsig]

"I've never watched a nuclear explosion myself. That's a couple of degrees of stupid above my limit"- Old Man Harris
#42 Feb 03 2011 at 3:19 PM Rating: Decent
**
440 posts
Hydragyrum wrote:
You make it sound like it's a mortal sin to enjoy playing FFXIV or something


In no way, in any SHAPE or form, did I imply such a thing.

I said:

If you are a "fan" of something, you enjoy it but you can still critique it, sometimes even harshly. Even the most embittered fan still enjoys the game in question on some level if they stick around to criticize it. Criticizing something is just a way of saying "I wish this was made better because it deserves to be better". If something was truly so awful that the fans saw no potential in it, they would leave.

Fans are necessary for a game to survive and are certainly necessary for FFXIV to survive.


Where in that statement do I say that it is a sin to enjoy the game when I EXPLICITLY said that fans DO enjoy the game?
____________________________

[ffxivsig]1809919[/ffxivsig]
#43 Feb 03 2011 at 3:27 PM Rating: Decent
**
440 posts
Hydragyrum wrote:
FFXIV is also the only forum I've ever frequented that is home to numerous people who hate the game and no longer play it, yet continue to lurk on the forums. With any other game I've played, if someone stops playing, they stop posting.


EVERY MMO I've ever played, without question, has always had people who hang around on a forum after stopping playing it. They're doing this because they still want to play the game on some level and hope it will get better, no matter how much they say otherwise.

Jefro420 wrote:
The best thing that could be done is not to belittle those who are on either side of the spectrum, which I think the OP does.


And I think people need to be called out on it.

I used to be a flea for Nintendo, myself. The company could do absolutely no wrong in my eyes and I staunchly defended it in all circumstances. Let's just say I've learned since then...
____________________________

[ffxivsig]1809919[/ffxivsig]
#44 Feb 03 2011 at 3:41 PM Rating: Excellent
On a side note, please tell me your name isn't a 'cleverly' disguised **** ****.
____________________________
Edited, Mar 21st 2011 2:14pm by Darqflame Lock Thread: Because Lubriderm is silly... ~ de geso

Almalieque wrote:
I know what a glory hole is, but I wasn't sure what the business part was in reference to.

My Anime List
#45 Feb 03 2011 at 3:58 PM Rating: Decent
**
440 posts
Lubriderm the Fussy wrote:
On a side note, please tell me your name isn't a 'cleverly' disguised **** ****.


It's worse than that...

This was supposed to be my side character who I used for crafting, meaning I could give him a silly name that was an inside joke with a friend...a friend who decided to play on a different server and then quit the game entirely shortly afterwards. :\

However, after growing thoroughly sick of having to use my fiancee's character to swap items from my main character to this one and lamenting the fact that the midland male's choice of faces was between "teenager who couldn't grow proper facial hair" and "old guy", I just gave up, deleted my old main and made this my new main.

The fact that lala's are adorable also weighted heavily in the decision.
____________________________

[ffxivsig]1809919[/ffxivsig]
#46 Feb 03 2011 at 4:54 PM Rating: Decent
*****
11,576 posts
What is with the peanut gallery these days and their "Rate down D:<" commentary? Did everyone turn into karma critics all of a sudden, or is it just the newb scholar effect?
#47 Feb 03 2011 at 4:54 PM Rating: Good
*
157 posts
yfaithfully wrote:
Fleas suck blood? I thought ticks did that.



Fleas suck blood too, that's what makes your dog or cat itch. And they like to jump really high.
____________________________
Oi FFXI, I'm back! Let's boogie...
#48 Feb 03 2011 at 5:03 PM Rating: Good
****
9,526 posts
Aurelius wrote:
What is with the peanut gallery these days and their "Rate down D:<" commentary? Did everyone turn into karma critics all of a sudden, or is it just the newb scholar effect?


Maybe people are sick of long winded navel gazing that serves no purpose except name-calling?

____________________________
lolgaxe wrote:
When it comes to sitting around not doing anything for long periods of time, only being active for short windows, and marginal changes and sidegrades I'd say FFXI players were the perfect choice for politicians.


#49 Feb 03 2011 at 5:10 PM Rating: Good
*****
11,576 posts
Olorinus the Vile wrote:
Aurelius wrote:
What is with the peanut gallery these days and their "Rate down D:<" commentary? Did everyone turn into karma critics all of a sudden, or is it just the newb scholar effect?


Maybe people are sick of long winded navel gazing that serves no purpose except name-calling?



Announcing to people that you've rated them down is just...tacky. Especially when it's this terse addendum at the end of a post. The game is struggling. You know it. And you're probably sick of being reminded about it. Cool. Just..."rate down!!"? Really? Don't defend that stuff. It's just so...lame. Reminds me of the guy who just got promoted to supervisor and went from Average Joe to UberPrick in the span of a day because now they suddenly have the power to do what they've always wanted to do. First, coffee break! Then...THE WORLD!!

Edited, Feb 3rd 2011 3:11pm by Aurelius
#50 Feb 03 2011 at 5:34 PM Rating: Good
***
3,178 posts
Olorinus the Vile wrote:
Maybe people are sick of long winded navel gazing that serves no purpose except name-calling?


Navel gazing? Is that when you can't see your feet past your beer belly?
#51 Feb 03 2011 at 5:36 PM Rating: Excellent
Scholar
**
691 posts
@yfaithfully & Roxykitty
Flea is the common name for insects of the order Siphonaptera which are wingless insects whose mouthparts are adapted for piercing skin and sucking blood. Fleas are external parasites, living by hematophagy (feeding on blood) off the blood of mammals (including humans) and birds.
Courtesy of various web definitions, most notably Wikipedia.



Joke below. Please try not to be offended.

I believe it is worth noting that the common forum troll shows similar parasitic traits to that of the common flea, but feeds off of anger, hate, tears, and the hard work of others.

Edited, Feb 3rd 2011 5:37pm by Uryuu
« Previous 1 2 3 4
This forum is read only
This Forum is Read Only!
Recent Visitors: 39 All times are in CDT
Anonymous Guests (39)