Forum Settings
       
This Forum is Read Only

Let's talk about "fans" vs. "fleas"...Follow

#52 Feb 03 2011 at 5:53 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
**
386 posts
If I see people start referring to others as fleas around here.....
#53 Feb 03 2011 at 6:06 PM Rating: Good
**
264 posts
Mikhalia, I'm still waiting on that epic poll!!

......................... Damnit, I'm not following this thread for enjoyment, I just need a poll to give my life meaning and direction.


Mikhalia, Go!!
____________________________
I also want double eyepatches, to increase my pirate bravado.
#54 Feb 03 2011 at 6:10 PM Rating: Good
*****
11,539 posts
AmsaimSutavarg wrote:
Mikhalia, I'm still waiting on that epic poll!!

......................... Damnit, I'm not following this thread for enjoyment, I just need a poll to give my life meaning and direction.


Mikhalia, Go!!


I made the poll already >.>
____________________________
[ffxisig]55836[/ffxisig]

Mikhalia: and FWIW, my posts are 95% helpful, informative, or funny.
Mikhalia: only 5% or less of my posts are utter crap.
Tyapex: 393 posts of utter crap...
Mikhalia: Sounds about right.
#55 Feb 03 2011 at 6:15 PM Rating: Good
**
264 posts
At last, now I have a path. Thanks!



P.S. Needs more polls.
____________________________
I also want double eyepatches, to increase my pirate bravado.
#56 Feb 03 2011 at 6:32 PM Rating: Decent
BrokenFox wrote:
Jefro420 wrote:
The best thing that could be done is not to belittle those who are on either side of the spectrum, which I think the OP does. Whether you call them fanboys or fleas, it's derogatory and does nothing to create good open debate from which great suggestions might actually arise. What needs to happen is that the name calling (fleas/fanboys/white knights/haters/etc) and trolling needs to stop because that does nothing but hurt this community.


Agreed. There's far too much animosity and name calling over differing opinions. You're either a WHITE KNIGHT or a TROLL.

It's really silly.


Well, in the internet this will never be quite possible because there will always be REAL trolls that will actually troll the forums and provoke people to respond to real trolling, so it will be hard to be a judge of who is actually being serious and who is just being a bit of a ****...
____________________________

#57 Feb 03 2011 at 8:45 PM Rating: Decent
**
451 posts
I don't think it's in-accurate to call someone still playing this game a "Blind Fanboy". Also don't think it's far fetched to call someone that doesn't play this game, but still post on these forums a fanboy. I think we're all here in some capacity because we have a little FF fanboy in us, (no dirty jokes).

If this game were made by NCsoft and called, "Magic Fantasy World" or something,
1) most of us wouldn't have bothered playing the game in the first place,
2) those still playing wouldn't be defending it in the same way they are now.

Fanboy isn't necessarily a bad word, as long as you can admit that you are one. I bought this game because I am a FF Fanboy....There's people still playing it and claiming that it's a good game because they're FF fanbois.
#58 Feb 03 2011 at 8:54 PM Rating: Excellent
*****
11,539 posts
KristoFurwalken wrote:
I don't think it's in-accurate to call someone still playing this game a "Blind Fanboy". Also don't think it's far fetched to call someone that doesn't play this game, but still post on these forums a fanboy. I think we're all here in some capacity because we have a little FF fanboy in us, (no dirty jokes).

If this game were made by NCsoft and called, "Magic Fantasy World" or something,
1) most of us wouldn't have bothered playing the game in the first place,
2) those still playing wouldn't be defending it in the same way they are now.

Fanboy isn't necessarily a bad word, as long as you can admit that you are one. I bought this game because I am a FF Fanboy....There's people still playing it and claiming that it's a good game because they're FF fanbois.


He has a point, I mean when you consider question #9 on the player poll, the top three things people like about the game are:

1) Graphics
2) World and lore
3) The Final Fantasy name

Gameplay came in FIFTH.

When people like the name of your game more than they like actually playing it, there is something seriously wrong.

So for better or for worse, I think it's reasonable to say that the only reason FFXIV still has as many supporters as it does, as many people who are willing to "hang in there" as it has, is very largely due to the name Final Fantasy.

If this were any other title by any other company, the players would have long since left.
____________________________
[ffxisig]55836[/ffxisig]

Mikhalia: and FWIW, my posts are 95% helpful, informative, or funny.
Mikhalia: only 5% or less of my posts are utter crap.
Tyapex: 393 posts of utter crap...
Mikhalia: Sounds about right.
#59 Feb 03 2011 at 9:22 PM Rating: Decent
**
435 posts
Olorinus the Vile wrote:
Maybe people are sick of long winded navel gazing that serves no purpose except name-calling?


To be fair, I poked at both the trolls AND blind fanboys in the OP (as I told the trolls that, no matter how much they hate on this game, if they're still HERE hating on it, they must still like it on some level).

And I'm just as sick of both extremes, frankly, but I see a lot more rampant fanboyism than I see mega-trolls.

KristoFurwalken wrote:
I don't think it's in-accurate to call someone still playing this game a "Blind Fanboy". Also don't think it's far fetched to call someone that doesn't play this game, but still post on these forums a fanboy. I think we're all here in some capacity because we have a little FF fanboy in us, (no dirty jokes).

If this game were made by NCsoft and called, "Magic Fantasy World" or something,
1) most of us wouldn't have bothered playing the game in the first place,
2) those still playing wouldn't be defending it in the same way they are now.

Fanboy isn't necessarily a bad word, as long as you can admit that you are one. I bought this game because I am a FF Fanboy....There's people still playing it and claiming that it's a good game because they're FF fanbois.


I think far more people would've abandoned this game if it was made by NCSoft instead, but that's because of NC's horrendous reputation for releasing nothing but craptacular grind and gank fests.

I think a lot of the people still with this game are still with it because SE has a reputation for making good games and they believe they'll follow through with this one, myself included.
____________________________

#60 Feb 03 2011 at 9:38 PM Rating: Decent
***
2,202 posts
TheRealDestian wrote:
Olorinus the Vile wrote:
Maybe people are sick of long winded navel gazing that serves no purpose except name-calling?


To be fair, I poked at both the trolls AND blind fanboys in the OP (as I told the trolls that, no matter how much they hate on this game, if they're still HERE hating on it, they must still like it on some level).

And I'm just as sick of both extremes, frankly, but I see a lot more rampant fanboyism than I see mega-trolls.

KristoFurwalken wrote:
I don't think it's in-accurate to call someone still playing this game a "Blind Fanboy". Also don't think it's far fetched to call someone that doesn't play this game, but still post on these forums a fanboy. I think we're all here in some capacity because we have a little FF fanboy in us, (no dirty jokes).

If this game were made by NCsoft and called, "Magic Fantasy World" or something,
1) most of us wouldn't have bothered playing the game in the first place,
2) those still playing wouldn't be defending it in the same way they are now.

Fanboy isn't necessarily a bad word, as long as you can admit that you are one. I bought this game because I am a FF Fanboy....There's people still playing it and claiming that it's a good game because they're FF fanbois.


I think far more people would've abandoned this game if it was made by NCSoft instead, but that's because of NC's horrendous reputation for releasing nothing but craptacular grind and gank fests.

I think a lot of the people still with this game are still with it because SE has a reputation for making good games and they believe they'll follow through with this one, myself included.


Not on the past ten years <.<
____________________________
MUTED
#61 Feb 03 2011 at 10:07 PM Rating: Default
**
435 posts
Ostia wrote:
Not on the past ten years <.<


Still better than most MMO devs and CERTAINLY better than NCSoft...
____________________________

#62 Feb 03 2011 at 10:19 PM Rating: Good
*
52 posts
ThePacster wrote:
If I see people start referring to others as fleas around here.....


Dude, don't be such a sheep. You need to be more gutsy, like a shark.
#63 Feb 04 2011 at 6:01 AM Rating: Excellent
11 posts
What about those people who don't criticize on forums like this because they know most of the people who respond are trolls- but instead, watch the trolls and "non-trolls as you call it" feed off each other, while they fill out the surveys, and email the dev team with their ideas and concerns?
#64 Feb 04 2011 at 7:35 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
**
812 posts
TheRealDestian wrote:

I think a lot of the people still with this game are still with it because SE has a reputation for making good games and they believe they'll follow through with this one, myself included.

This.

I also enjoy watching/helping software evolve over time. Not to mention that I've only had to pay the cost of the CE to play.
____________________________
Abaddon Active Player Roster
- All your Fabul Sever are belong to us! -


#65 Feb 04 2011 at 11:55 AM Rating: Good
*****
11,539 posts
CruiseLessor wrote:
What about those people who don't criticize on forums like this because they know most of the people who respond are trolls- but instead, watch the trolls and "non-trolls as you call it" feed off each other, while they fill out the surveys, and email the dev team with their ideas and concerns?


Lurkers?
____________________________
[ffxisig]55836[/ffxisig]

Mikhalia: and FWIW, my posts are 95% helpful, informative, or funny.
Mikhalia: only 5% or less of my posts are utter crap.
Tyapex: 393 posts of utter crap...
Mikhalia: Sounds about right.
#66 Feb 04 2011 at 1:57 PM Rating: Default
***
2,202 posts
TheRealDestian wrote:
Ostia wrote:
Not on the past ten years <.<


Still better than most MMO devs and CERTAINLY better than NCSoft...


Hmm i doubt they have a better rep than blizzard on any level, now NCSoft sure jajaja i agree on that one XD!
____________________________
MUTED
#67 Feb 04 2011 at 4:01 PM Rating: Good
Sage
**
378 posts
First, I can understand how alot of people are exasperated by the whole "whiteknight/troll" debate. This game has had alot of it and it's pretty old news.

That being said I can also understand Destian's frustration.

He has made alot of posts in the feedback forums, and while I may not agree with everything he's said, most of the time I do agree that things need to be fixed. But for almost every post he's made he's been met with the most bizarre resistance.

Valid observations about the problems this game has are being met with blind malice. While I don't think this post was the best way to deal with it, I can certainly understand how he feels in being met with such vehement opposition when he has valid concerns about aspects of this game and wants to relay that to the dev team.

I haven't really sat down to play ffxiv in a long time, I logged in for a little bit after the last update to see what's changed. And while I have plenty of complaints about this game I am still hopeful that SE can fix it.

Yesterday I got into a heated debate about some of the balancing issues in this game, and the person arguing with me could only rebutt that I was playing wrong.

There was nothing I could say to help them to understand my point of view, and all they had to say was negative things about me because I didn't conform with their opinions. It was incredibly disheartening. And I believe that is the kind of thing Destian is complaining about here.

I also agree with mikhalia that it is a very outspoken minority... but it's hard to feel like our opinions matter when they are attacked and derided so vehemently from others in the community.
____________________________

Retainer: Ferthmart
FFXI: Ferth - Cerbereus Nee Hades Nee Leviathan.
#68 Feb 04 2011 at 4:19 PM Rating: Good
****
9,526 posts
F3rth wrote:


Yesterday I got into a heated debate about some of the balancing issues in this game, and the person arguing with me could only rebutt that I was playing wrong.



I saw that debate and while I agree with some of what was said (about scaling re: stars in levequests) I don't agree with the continual moaning about monsters having difficult attacks.

Yeah, the gnat zap thing hurts. The good news is - it is easy to avoid!

Impish incantations is still too overpowered, I agree, since it really seems impossible to avoid.

As for the person saying you are playing wrong or whatever - they didn't say that! They asked you if you were using all the tools at your disposal (battle regimens, incapacitation, food, etc) and you aren't! Do you really think it is valid to ask for the ENTIRE game to be tuned to a solo player who doesn't want to use any of the powerful tools we are given to attack monsters?

So ladybugs use spoil and it hurts. Then maybe you ought not to solo ladybugs if you can't figure out tactics to avoid their big attacks. I remember it was the same in XI - some mobs had stupid attacks so no one wanted to grind on them. Therefore, only people who wanted the drops or liked the challenge or had a specific set-up would attack those mobs. I don't see that as a problem.

Just cause someone disagrees with you about whether something is a problem doesn't make them blind fanbois or white knights or fleas or whatever - it just means they have a different perspective/opinion

I mean when my buddy posted about him thinking we needed an AOE on/off on the controller - was I being a blind fanboi when I told him there already is one? You were commenting on how hard those mobs were - someone responded suggesting ways that they can be dealt with more easily. Why is that a problem?
____________________________
lolgaxe wrote:
When it comes to sitting around not doing anything for long periods of time, only being active for short windows, and marginal changes and sidegrades I'd say FFXI players were the perfect choice for politicians.


#69 Feb 04 2011 at 5:35 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
1,030 posts
If you praise FFXIV in any way = Free blow jobs and immediate Sage status for you!

If you criticize FFXIV in any way = "TROLL! KILL IT! KILL IT NOW!! BY THE POWER OF DEFAULT ARGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!1111"
#70 Feb 04 2011 at 5:52 PM Rating: Decent
Avatar
*****
12,703 posts
BrokenFox wrote:
If you praise FFXIV in any way = Free blow jobs and immediate Sage status for you!

If you criticize FFXIV in any way = "TROLL! KILL IT! KILL IT NOW!! BY THE POWER OF DEFAULT ARGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!1111"


Addendum: If you approach it with an open mind = fanboy/fangirl.
____________________________

#71 Feb 04 2011 at 6:01 PM Rating: Excellent
6 posts
Who really cares...this is the internet. I honestly don't get why people care about a rating on a forum or being accused of white knights or trolls. Speak your mind~
#72 Feb 04 2011 at 6:01 PM Rating: Excellent
Scholar
*
135 posts
Woah... what happened that these boards turned into such a hostile community? :C

I mean you had trolls before but come on. Are you people redirecting your anger from the game towards these forums?

The guy said some stuff about how he felt, you do not have to attack him that so badly for that.
From what I've read the game needs fixing, badly, but please keep things civil :o

Edited, Feb 4th 2011 7:04pm by Riathy
#73 Feb 05 2011 at 12:34 AM Rating: Excellent
*****
11,539 posts
BrokenFox wrote:
If you praise FFXIV in any way = Free blow jobs and immediate Sage status for you!

If you criticize FFXIV in any way = "TROLL! KILL IT! KILL IT NOW!! BY THE POWER OF DEFAULT ARGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!1111"


I've had my fair share of criticism of FFXIV and I'm still a Sage just fine. Perhaps it's because my criticism is backed by personal feeling and a sense of realism with a touch of optimism rather than being a page long rant about how SE killed my dog and I hate them.

I've seen plenty of people who like or dislike the game who are rated Excellent because they post well worded, thought out arguments that address both sides of the issue; the fact that the game has made progress but also needs improvement, the fact that the game has its share of redeeming qualities and its share of glaring flaws.

It's the people who believe FFXIV is ineffable or the people who believe it is abysmal; the people who view the game through either rose-tinted or black-tinted glasses, who end up getting rated down. Nobody wants to hear a fanboy and nobody wants to hear a whiner.

Perhaps you should consider that the people who are sub scholar are not always sub scholar because they have an unpopular opinion, but because they are inept at articulating a reasonable viewpoint.

This isn't directed at you specifically; I'm just saying that most of the people who find themselves getting constantly rated down on everything they post might want to re-evaluate the way they're putting forth their opinion.
____________________________
[ffxisig]55836[/ffxisig]

Mikhalia: and FWIW, my posts are 95% helpful, informative, or funny.
Mikhalia: only 5% or less of my posts are utter crap.
Tyapex: 393 posts of utter crap...
Mikhalia: Sounds about right.
#74 Feb 05 2011 at 12:40 AM Rating: Decent
**
435 posts
Olorinus the Vile wrote:
I saw that debate and while I agree with some of what was said (about scaling re: stars in levequests) I don't agree with the continual moaning about monsters having difficult attacks.


The "moan" wasn't about monsters having difficult attacks. It was about monsters being inconsistent. A monster that does piddly damage should not have a 1HKO that it pulls out at random. If the monster is going to be hard, it should be hard. If it's easy, it should be easy.

Ever played a game where you fought a boss, and the boss was a complete pushover until the last 10% of his health when he became ridiculously hard? Yeah, that's bad game design and that's how a lot of mobs in FFXIV behave. I just want CONSISTENT difficulty...

Quote:
Just cause someone disagrees with you about whether something is a problem doesn't make them blind fanbois or white knights or fleas or whatever - it just means they have a different perspective/opinion


I must respectfully disagree here because I feel the fleas I mentioned in the earlier posts are real and they're still a problem.

No, you're not a flea if you politely offer suggestions to help and if you GENUINELY want to help, but a person taking a rude tone while being "helpful" is very much a flea because, in the end, they likely don't truly care if the person in need of help quits the game or not. In fact, posting "suggestions" and being as rude as possible while doing so is just another way of saying "See how wrong you are? This game is GREAT! The problem is on YOUR end!".

Rarely do I see overt flea behavior like that, but it's still easy enough to spot, even when it's masked behind being "helpful".
____________________________

#75 Feb 05 2011 at 1:01 AM Rating: Default
*
69 posts
LyleVertigo wrote:
BrokenFox wrote:
lol


____________________________


#76 Feb 05 2011 at 1:02 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
***
1,948 posts
TheRealDestian wrote:
Olorinus the Vile wrote:
I saw that debate and while I agree with some of what was said (about scaling re: stars in levequests) I don't agree with the continual moaning about monsters having difficult attacks.


The "moan" wasn't about monsters having difficult attacks. It was about monsters being inconsistent. A monster that does piddly damage should not have a 1HKO that it pulls out at random. If the monster is going to be hard, it should be hard. If it's easy, it should be easy.

Ever played a game where you fought a boss, and the boss was a complete pushover until the last 10% of his health when he became ridiculously hard? Yeah, that's bad game design and that's how a lot of mobs in FFXIV behave. I just want CONSISTENT difficulty...

Quote:
Just cause someone disagrees with you about whether something is a problem doesn't make them blind fanbois or white knights or fleas or whatever - it just means they have a different perspective/opinion


I must respectfully disagree here because I feel the fleas I mentioned in the earlier posts are real and they're still a problem.

No, you're not a flea if you politely offer suggestions to help and if you GENUINELY want to help, but a person taking a rude tone while being "helpful" is very much a flea because, in the end, they likely don't truly care if the person in need of help quits the game or not. In fact, posting "suggestions" and being as rude as possible while doing so is just another way of saying "See how wrong you are? This game is GREAT! The problem is on YOUR end!".

Rarely do I see overt flea behavior like that, but it's still easy enough to spot, even when it's masked behind being "helpful".


This is entirely out-of-topic, but the said monster doesn't randomly pull out so called OHKO move. The move cost TP, hence why Battle Regimen of Constraint is suggested as a way to totally stop it. There are animation and chat log that tell you X is preparing Y attack, in short there are signals in-game. Also they are not a complete pushover, yes they may have low Hp but they have high attack and that high attack is multiplied by the TP move which resulted in the said "OHKO" move. It is consistent. There is no OHKO move, all TP are a multiplication from normal damage. A Sundrake hitting 500 dmg normally will have a 1.5k Breathe. There is no Drake that hit for 10 dmg normally and have 1.5k breathe.

And I must say you're the said "flea" because most of your posts are not GENUINELY looking for help/suggesting an improvement, but just complaint for the sake of complaint. For example here
http://ffxiv.zam.com/forum.html?forum=173&mid=1296789243144905345&page=1

You said there is no telltale sign when the mob prepare a TP move, that's absolutely false and misinformation. And yet you are going to slap anyone trying to tell you the fact as a "flea".

Edited, Feb 5th 2011 2:03am by Khornette
____________________________




#77 Feb 05 2011 at 3:45 AM Rating: Excellent
**
482 posts
Destian wrote:
Ever played a game where you fought a boss, and the boss was a complete pushover until the last 10% of his health when he became ridiculously hard? Yeah, that's bad game design and that's how a lot of mobs in FFXIV behave. I just want CONSISTENT difficulty...


You must not have played FF11 then. I can come up with several "boss" fights where "OMG DEAD PEOPLE NOWZZZZ" moves would pop up at different stages of the boss/mobs health level. ****, Old timers still remember their first Kirin fights with "fondness" until we worked out better strats. Any number of Mission BCs had "WTF WAZ DAT???!?!?!" at first too. I don't think it's so much "bad design", more like the developers throwing a curve-ball when the players get too comfortable with the battle.
____________________________
Jophiel wrote:
Pack your own lunch and bring nothing but Pixie Stix and Pop Rocks and get your liberty on.
#78 Feb 05 2011 at 7:54 AM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
*****
12,703 posts
TheRealDestian wrote:

Ever played a game where you fought a boss, and the boss was a complete pushover until the last 10% of his health when he became ridiculously hard? Yeah, that's bad game design and that's how a lot of mobs in FFXIV behave. I just want CONSISTENT difficulty...


Please, please tell me this is sarcasm.

klausneck wrote:
Destian wrote:
Ever played a game where you fought a boss, and the boss was a complete pushover until the last 10% of his health when he became ridiculously hard? Yeah, that's bad game design and that's how a lot of mobs in FFXIV behave. I just want CONSISTENT difficulty...


You must not have played FF11 then. I can come up with several "boss" fights where "OMG DEAD PEOPLE NOWZZZZ" moves would pop up at different stages of the boss/mobs health level. ****, Old timers still remember their first Kirin fights with "fondness" until we worked out better strats. Any number of Mission BCs had "WTF WAZ DAT???!?!?!" at first too. I don't think it's so much "bad design", more like the developers throwing a curve-ball when the players get too comfortable with the battle.


It's not bad design. Boss fights (in RPGs especially) are supposed to be a struggle for survival, if they "observe" you for the first 20% then go ******* the last bit and forces you to think, that's a boss fight. If you're slaughtering it down to its last 5% and it does something like throw on protect but is still a pushover? That's not a boss fight. That's insulting.

Edited, Feb 5th 2011 5:56am by Theonehio
____________________________

#79 Feb 05 2011 at 3:11 PM Rating: Default
**
435 posts
Khornette wrote:
This is entirely out-of-topic, but the said monster doesn't randomly pull out so called OHKO move. The move cost TP, hence why Battle Regimen of Constraint is suggested as a way to totally stop it. There are animation and chat log that tell you X is preparing Y attack, in short there are signals in-game. Also they are not a complete pushover, yes they may have low Hp but they have high attack and that high attack is multiplied by the TP move which resulted in the said "OHKO" move. It is consistent. There is no OHKO move, all TP are a multiplication from normal damage. A Sundrake hitting 500 dmg normally will have a 1.5k Breathe. There is no Drake that hit for 10 dmg normally and have 1.5k breathe.


The "animation" shows a glow around the monster briefly before the TP attack goes off, and if you're mid-cast (or other action) when this happens, you will typically not have enough time to get out of range before it goes off.

The chat log has never been a good way to infer what is happening on screen in ANY MMO, nor will it ever be. This is why MMOs use a range of tells that plainly indicate what is about to happen. If mobs have multiple kinds of TP attacks, how do we tell them apart?

Quote:
And I must say you're the said "flea" because most of your posts are not GENUINELY looking for help/suggesting an improvement, but just complaint for the sake of complaint. For example here
http://ffxiv.zam.com/forum.html?forum=173&mid=1296789243144905345&page=1

You said there is no telltale sign when the mob prepare a TP move, that's absolutely false and misinformation. And yet you are going to slap anyone trying to tell you the fact as a "flea".


I mean that there's no way to differentiate one TP attack from another (or is there only ONE TP attack per mob?).

Also, that thread was more focused on the fact that the difference between 2 to 3 stars in levequests is very often the difference between mobs being blue and pushovers and red and impossible. I see that as a genuine problem, one which has nothing to do with TP and 1HKOs, even.

klausneck wrote:
You must not have played FF11 then. I can come up with several "boss" fights where "OMG DEAD PEOPLE NOWZZZZ" moves would pop up at different stages of the boss/mobs health level. ****, Old timers still remember their first Kirin fights with "fondness" until we worked out better strats. Any number of Mission BCs had "WTF WAZ DAT???!?!?!" at first too. I don't think it's so much "bad design", more like the developers throwing a curve-ball when the players get too comfortable with the battle.


I didn't play FF11, and I understand perfectly the concept of a boss going "berserk" on low health, but we're not talking about bosses here.

Mistress Theonehio wrote:
It's not bad design. Boss fights (in RPGs especially) are supposed to be a struggle for survival, if they "observe" you for the first 20% then go apesh*t the last bit and forces you to think, that's a boss fight. If you're slaughtering it down to its last 5% and it does something like throw on protect but is still a pushover? That's not a boss fight. That's insulting.


I'd rather they be a consistent struggle for survival than a pushover until the "earth-shattering kaboom".

If we're speaking logically, it makes more sense for a mob to frontload damage because that's when it's at its strongest. The more you hit a mob, the more injured it should be and the less able to put up a genuine fight. Like I said, I can understand the concept of going "berserk", but only if the first part of the fight wasn't a simple ordeal, or is the implication that EVERY SINGLE MOB is only toying with you until it realizes the fight has become "serious"?

If SE wants to convey that mob is building up to a more powerful attack, it would be great if, oh I dunno, we could see the mob's TP bar? Or how about seeing a casting bar for the TP attack so we know exactly what it's casting and how long until it goes off?

There's too much guesswork in the current system, and just because it's possible to figure it out doesn't mean it's a good system. If THAT were true, we'd never even have GUIs because it's still "possible" to operate everything on a computer from a command prompt.

Edited, Feb 5th 2011 4:38pm by TheRealDestian
____________________________

#80 Feb 05 2011 at 3:18 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
**
691 posts
Game mechanics in XI and XIV require that enemies build up TP in the same manner as players (being hit/hitting opponents) before unleashing their damaging skills, magic being the exception. Also, logically speaking, when you know you are about to die, you are able to push your body past its safety limits. That's why XI and XIV usually saved the strongest NM moves for last, key word being "usually". There's some bosses that just bombard you nonstop until either you or it dies...not counting berserk being put in effect to combat people holding mobs until their respawn timers were where they wanted it to be.

Edited, Feb 5th 2011 3:18pm by Uryuu
#81 Feb 05 2011 at 3:29 PM Rating: Default
**
435 posts
Uryuu wrote:
Game mechanics in XI and XIV require that enemies build up TP in the same manner as players (being hit/hitting opponents) before unleashing their damaging skills, magic being the exception. Also, logically speaking, when you know you are about to die, you are able to push your body past its safety limits. That's why XI and XIV usually saved the strongest NM moves for last, key word being "usually". There's some bosses that just bombard you nonstop until either you or it dies...not counting berserk being put in effect to combat people holding mobs until their respawn timers were where they wanted it to be.


The only problem I see with this is that, if mobs are going to go berserk, why can't players do the same?

Remember limit breaks? Yeah, why shouldn't players be able to do that?
____________________________

#82 Feb 05 2011 at 4:01 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
**
691 posts
XI had 2 hour abilities that were literally godly, XIV's closest thing I am aware of is Maim for Marauder, which renders an opponent completely defenseless but uses all your TP with a minimum of 2k to use. In addition, generally a berserk buffalo is more dangerous than a berserk guy with a pointy object.

Of course, by berserk I meant enrage timers, but instead of being used to make the game actually hard like in WOW, they are used to prevent people from being jerks for more than 30 minutes at a time.

At the moment, in XIV neither players nor enemies have any sort of enrage timer/berserk mechanics that I am aware of.

Edited, Feb 5th 2011 4:04pm by Uryuu
#83 Feb 05 2011 at 4:35 PM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
*****
12,703 posts
Uryuu wrote:
XI had 2 hour abilities that were literally godly, XIV's closest thing I am aware of is Maim for Marauder, which renders an opponent completely defenseless but uses all your TP with a minimum of 2k to use. In addition, generally a berserk buffalo is more dangerous than a berserk guy with a pointy object.

Of course, by berserk I meant enrage timers, but instead of being used to make the game actually hard like in WOW, they are used to prevent people from being jerks for more than 30 minutes at a time.

At the moment, in XIV neither players nor enemies have any sort of enrage timer/berserk mechanics that I am aware of.

Edited, Feb 5th 2011 4:04pm by Uryuu


NMs can rage, but it's the basic type of rage, not the batsh*t insane rage where NMs get hundred fists etc like in XI.

Edited, Feb 5th 2011 2:35pm by Theonehio
____________________________

#84 Feb 05 2011 at 4:49 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
***
1,948 posts
Mistress Theonehio wrote:
Uryuu wrote:
XI had 2 hour abilities that were literally godly, XIV's closest thing I am aware of is Maim for Marauder, which renders an opponent completely defenseless but uses all your TP with a minimum of 2k to use. In addition, generally a berserk buffalo is more dangerous than a berserk guy with a pointy object.

Of course, by berserk I meant enrage timers, but instead of being used to make the game actually hard like in WOW, they are used to prevent people from being jerks for more than 30 minutes at a time.

At the moment, in XIV neither players nor enemies have any sort of enrage timer/berserk mechanics that I am aware of.

Edited, Feb 5th 2011 4:04pm by Uryuu


NMs can rage, but it's the basic type of rage, not the batsh*t insane rage where NMs get hundred fists etc like in XI.

Edited, Feb 5th 2011 2:35pm by Theonehio


Nah the current NM enrage is just more like a mechanic to prevent NM fight more than 30 minutes. Once enrage the NM hit 9999 dmg every single hit but the most important thing is that it's unclaimed, hence even if you kill it nothing drop. It's pretty obvious that 30 minutes is just a timer for roaming NM (because faction NM don't go enrage but they already have their own timer).
____________________________




#85 Feb 05 2011 at 5:01 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
***
1,948 posts
TheRealDestian wrote:
Khornette wrote:
This is entirely out-of-topic, but the said monster doesn't randomly pull out so called OHKO move. The move cost TP, hence why Battle Regimen of Constraint is suggested as a way to totally stop it. There are animation and chat log that tell you X is preparing Y attack, in short there are signals in-game. Also they are not a complete pushover, yes they may have low Hp but they have high attack and that high attack is multiplied by the TP move which resulted in the said "OHKO" move. It is consistent. There is no OHKO move, all TP are a multiplication from normal damage. A Sundrake hitting 500 dmg normally will have a 1.5k Breathe. There is no Drake that hit for 10 dmg normally and have 1.5k breathe.


The "animation" shows a glow around the monster briefly before the TP attack goes off, and if you're mid-cast (or other action) when this happens, you will typically not have enough time to get out of range before it goes off.

The chat log has never been a good way to infer what is happening on screen in ANY MMO, nor will it ever be. This is why MMOs use a range of tells that plainly indicate what is about to happen. If mobs have multiple kinds of TP attacks, how do we tell them apart?

Quote:
And I must say you're the said "flea" because most of your posts are not GENUINELY looking for help/suggesting an improvement, but just complaint for the sake of complaint. For example here
http://ffxiv.zam.com/forum.html?forum=173&mid=1296789243144905345&page=1

You said there is no telltale sign when the mob prepare a TP move, that's absolutely false and misinformation. And yet you are going to slap anyone trying to tell you the fact as a "flea".


I mean that there's no way to differentiate one TP attack from another (or is there only ONE TP attack per mob?).

Also, that thread was more focused on the fact that the difference between 2 to 3 stars in levequests is very often the difference between mobs being blue and pushovers and red and impossible. I see that as a genuine problem, one which has nothing to do with TP and 1HKOs, even.

klausneck wrote:
You must not have played FF11 then. I can come up with several "boss" fights where "OMG DEAD PEOPLE NOWZZZZ" moves would pop up at different stages of the boss/mobs health level. ****, Old timers still remember their first Kirin fights with "fondness" until we worked out better strats. Any number of Mission BCs had "WTF WAZ DAT???!?!?!" at first too. I don't think it's so much "bad design", more like the developers throwing a curve-ball when the players get too comfortable with the battle.


I didn't play FF11, and I understand perfectly the concept of a boss going "berserk" on low health, but we're not talking about bosses here.

Mistress Theonehio wrote:
It's not bad design. Boss fights (in RPGs especially) are supposed to be a struggle for survival, if they "observe" you for the first 20% then go apesh*t the last bit and forces you to think, that's a boss fight. If you're slaughtering it down to its last 5% and it does something like throw on protect but is still a pushover? That's not a boss fight. That's insulting.


I'd rather they be a consistent struggle for survival than a pushover until the "earth-shattering kaboom".

If we're speaking logically, it makes more sense for a mob to frontload damage because that's when it's at its strongest. The more you hit a mob, the more injured it should be and the less able to put up a genuine fight. Like I said, I can understand the concept of going "berserk", but only if the first part of the fight wasn't a simple ordeal, or is the implication that EVERY SINGLE MOB is only toying with you until it realizes the fight has become "serious"?

If SE wants to convey that mob is building up to a more powerful attack, it would be great if, oh I dunno, we could see the mob's TP bar? Or how about seeing a casting bar for the TP attack so we know exactly what it's casting and how long until it goes off?

There's too much guesswork in the current system, and just because it's possible to figure it out doesn't mean it's a good system. If THAT were true, we'd never even have GUIs because it's still "possible" to operate everything on a computer from a command prompt.

Edited, Feb 5th 2011 4:38pm by TheRealDestian


Mobs may have different kind of TP attack, but any TP attack means nasty attack. Take a Sundrake, all of its TP move are nasty, just a matter of unleashing a nasty breathe in the front, or unleashing a nasty Tail Whip AoE on the back on those so called clingy adventurers who think they can cheat the system by staying behind its back. Do you even need to be told "ZOMG it's gonna unleash it's over 9000 attack or it's 9001 attack"? Do you even need a glowing circle on the ground every time the mob is about to attack so you can run to that circle to evade it, and the mobs won't use it attack until you do so, to ensure that you won't get hit? If you can't take any of its TP attack, just dodge it.

The animation "glow" a little bit? Er? Didn't you read whatever I wrote, or better yet, look at in-game animation? The Imp when chanting, after announce clearly so in the chat log, raise it hands up in the air and you see a big rune in the air. The even more apparent ones are the moles and gnats. Please don't tell me when either of those burrows/teleport and you stand there like an idiot and claim that there's no signal for what's about to come. As with player, any TP has a cast time, if you can't dodge it in the cast time then you take it. How about we have to announce our own TP attack and give a signal to the mobs before we use it, so they can dodge our TP attack as well?

So you need to see a mob TP bar as well because it's too much 'guesswork' for you? I meant, do you even need to guess about that, when mobs build up TP the same rate as player, more hit = more TP = TP move, and you beat it to near dead and expect it to have an empty TP bar? Do you need to see the "anger matter" on the guy you are punching him in the face, so that you can stop punching him before he go to the police?

I bet you gonna have some more fun with Djigga 5 stars, because Djigga deadly move is even more 'guesswork' in that it will NEVER EVER uses its TP move if you don't use yours. Funny, because most people would rate this game as loleasy cake with barely any challenge (in fact that was a main argument that the *insert MMO name here* takes much more strategy to play than broken FFXIV), and here come someone complain game is too hard.
____________________________




#86 Feb 05 2011 at 5:21 PM Rating: Decent
**
588 posts
Yay i am a fan not a flea !!!
____________________________


Cornyboob Funnyname Wutai Phys 50 Conj 49 Weaver 49 LW 34 Alch 28 Pug 22 Archer 20 Glad 19 Thaum 20 GS 11 Bot 9 Miner 8 Shield 44 Maur 3

#87 Feb 05 2011 at 6:41 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
***
1,569 posts
yfaithfully wrote:
I'm not entirely following the "fans" vs. "fleas" distinction, but there is something about the FFXIV community that makes it fanboy-ish. It's not entirely present here, but on other forums (*cough* FFXIVCore.com) you get the distinct impression that fans of other MMOs (namely WoW) and people who dislike FFXIV are generally looked down upon.
The same goes on here on ZAM, but you'll see it more often in the FFXI forums. Granted, you're not seeing the liters of vitriol from ages past, but it's still there.

The flea vs fan thing tends to affect people like me quite a bit, who often make comparisons between games and design models to prove or argue a point. Just like most fleas will simply cover their ears and start screaming about how the game is good as is (despite pointing out design flaws or other problems), they can also cover their ears and start repeating "this isn't <insert name>".

For the record, I respect originality and innovation as much as the next guy, but I also am not shy about looking at what the other guy is doing and deciding whether the idea could be useful within my own product. The good composer borrows, the great composer steals, etc.
____________________________
Products of boredom: 1 2 3 4 5
Besieged
Hopes for FFXIV: Fencer | Red Mage
#88 Feb 05 2011 at 7:06 PM Rating: Default
**
435 posts
Khornette wrote:
Mobs may have different kind of TP attack, but any TP attack means nasty attack.


Yes, but unless I'm mistaken, TP attacks have different types of AoEs, like cone, circle, etc. There's not enough information to know what to expect, such as is hiding behind the monster a valid tactic or will that get me killed?

Quote:
Take a Sundrake, all of its TP move are nasty, just a matter of unleashing a nasty breathe in the front, or unleashing a nasty Tail Whip AoE on the back on those so called clingy adventurers who think they can cheat the system by staying behind its back. Do you even need to be told "ZOMG it's gonna unleash it's over 9000 attack or it's 9001 attack"? Do you even need a glowing circle on the ground every time the mob is about to attack so you can run to that circle to evade it, and the mobs won't use it attack until you do so, to ensure that you won't get hit? If you can't take any of its TP attack, just dodge it.


Yes, because I explicitly stated that I want mobs to be easy, even though I was complaining in the other thread that the game made them too easy in levequests.

Oh, wait. You're using a bizarre absolute.

Quote:
The animation "glow" a little bit? Er? Didn't you read whatever I wrote, or better yet, look at in-game animation? The Imp when chanting, after announce clearly so in the chat log, raise it hands up in the air and you see a big rune in the air. The even more apparent ones are the moles and gnats. Please don't tell me when either of those burrows/teleport and you stand there like an idiot and claim that there's no signal for what's about to come. As with player, any TP has a cast time, if you can't dodge it in the cast time then you take it. How about we have to announce our own TP attack and give a signal to the mobs before we use it, so they can dodge our TP attack as well?


How about we be angry and sarcastic to a reasonable request? Yes, that'll work MUCH better...

Quote:
So you need to see a mob TP bar as well because it's too much 'guesswork' for you? I meant, do you even need to guess about that, when mobs build up TP the same rate as player, more hit = more TP = TP move, and you beat it to near dead and expect it to have an empty TP bar? Do you need to see the "anger matter" on the guy you are punching him in the face, so that you can stop punching him before he go to the police?


Ever healed a roegadyn tanking a small but dangerous mob on a low-end machine? Or how about a party crowded around a mob when you're standing back healing (again, on a low-end machine)? It's looks like a bloody blurry mess, with particle effects and whatnot going off everywhere, and you'll be hard pressed to see the TP attack charging before it's too late.

And don't start in with "Look at the log!" because A) the log is screaming by at 200 lines per second and B) I shouldn't have to look at a piece of text in the interface in the corner of my screen to know what's going on in the game in the middle of my screen.

Quote:
Funny, because most people would rate this game as loleasy cake with barely any challenge (in fact that was a main argument that the *insert MMO name here* takes much more strategy to play than broken FFXIV), and here come someone complain game is too hard.


I'm not complaining the game is hard. I'm complaining that the game badly needs difficulty balancing so we can tell the difference between what will be "loleasy" and "you die in 1 hit".

The only real challenge (aside from NMs) is guessing what will be far too difficult for you even though it's the same level and what won't be.
____________________________

#89 Feb 05 2011 at 7:22 PM Rating: Decent
Avatar
*
52 posts
If you are gonna come on here and START a forum about something you feel strongly about, you shouldn't be backpedaling your stance with minor tweaks here and there in order to defend it when people bring up legit counter points... Just stay on track, seemed to work for Hitler for a while anyways...
#90 Feb 05 2011 at 9:14 PM Rating: Decent
Avatar
***
1,609 posts
Are we still harping on this...seriously?
____________________________


"I've never watched a nuclear explosion myself. That's a couple of degrees of stupid above my limit"- Old Man Harris
#91 Feb 05 2011 at 9:17 PM Rating: Good
***
1,313 posts
For as pointless as this thread was, people sure have a lot to say about it. Let it die.
____________________________
Eithne Draocht
My IG: archaicmachinery - Friend me!
#92 Feb 06 2011 at 12:21 AM Rating: Good
**
923 posts
Aurelius wrote:
Olorinus the Vile wrote:
Aurelius wrote:
What is with the peanut gallery these days and their "Rate down D:<" commentary? Did everyone turn into karma critics all of a sudden, or is it just the newb scholar effect?


Maybe people are sick of long winded navel gazing that serves no purpose except name-calling?



Announcing to people that you've rated them down is just...tacky. Especially when it's this terse addendum at the end of a post. The game is struggling. You know it. And you're probably sick of being reminded about it. Cool. Just..."rate down!!"? Really? Don't defend that stuff. It's just so...lame. Reminds me of the guy who just got promoted to supervisor and went from Average Joe to UberPrick in the span of a day because now they suddenly have the power to do what they've always wanted to do. First, coffee break! Then...THE WORLD!!

Edited, Feb 3rd 2011 3:11pm by Aurelius


I'm sorry but coming from you this is rather amusing to me
#93 Feb 06 2011 at 2:45 PM Rating: Default
**
435 posts
LillithaFenimore wrote:
Are we still harping on this...seriously?


Transmigration wrote:
For as pointless as this thread was, people sure have a lot to say about it. Let it die.


Given the sheer number of people who took personal offense to this thread when there was an easy out for not doing so, I'd say it made its own point.

Edited, Feb 6th 2011 3:45pm by TheRealDestian
____________________________

#94 Feb 06 2011 at 2:58 PM Rating: Excellent
Scholar
22 posts
A quarter has 119 grooves on its edge, a dime has one less groove. I'm just saying...
____________________________
"Scientists have discovered that saliva actually causes cancer, but only after digesting it in small portions over a long period of time" -G. Carlin-
#95 Feb 06 2011 at 3:01 PM Rating: Default
**
435 posts
LProof777 wrote:
A quarter has 119 grooves on its edge, a dime has one less groove. I'm just saying...


Rated up. Rated WAY up.
____________________________

#96 Feb 07 2011 at 3:31 AM Rating: Good
*
211 posts
Alright, this is directed solely at you OP:
TheRealDestian wrote:
Jefro420 wrote:
TheRealDestian wrote:
I enjoy the game, but I can't fathom how some people can say without irony that it's the best game ever made and that it shouldn't be changed.

But nobody is saying that. I challenge you to link to one post where that's what is being said.


Here's a specific nugget, but I don't want to out the poster (though they'll no doubt see it, I'm sure)...

Tiger228 wrote:
What's really sad, is that this game is still in development, is basically a beta, was released way too soon, was misdirected by the old team, and is still more fun than any other mmo on the market...

Seriously, if SE's flops are better than the biggest and most popular mmo's on day 1, then wtf.

(And the part of that post you conveniently left out...)

Of course, it's a subjective matter... If you don't like it, go find something you do like. We gamers sink loads of time into our hobby, and there's no point to it beyond the fun you have, so if you're not having it, you need to find another game or a new hobby. Preferably one that doesn't involve trolling the forums.


If that doesn't convince you, then fine.



I see you quoted me as your citation that "fleas" exist on this forum... But you left out the many posts I've made with ample criticism towards this game.

I still stand by what I said though. This game might be a long long way from perfect, and it sure has it's fair share of issues that need working out... But I still think it's better than any other mmo out there atm. I have tried a couple, and looked into all of the big ones, and I genuinely don't like the premise, execution, or design of them. FFXI was the only MMO I liked, but I had my run with it and lost interest after the ToAU era was wrapping up, so I left. Some friends got me to try WoW a bit later on, and I thought it was terrible. Yes, that opinion isn't the most widely held, as WoW has many more players than FFXI did, but that's the thing with opinions... They're subjective, and everybody is entitled to their own.

FFXIV has got a great foundation, and is going in a great direction, which is key, since most MMO teams right now have the intention of making their games worse, not better... At least to my preferences... This game is lacking enormous amounts of content, needs drastic adjustments to the leve system, could use tweaking in the battle department, requires enthralling strings of quests and missions, needs a stronger focus on party play; especially when it comes to difficult and challenging content, etc. etc. I see a good direction though, and looking down the road I think the game is well on it's way to being where it should. And I still have fun playing it even without all that, where as in other mmo's, with loads of content, I found myself doing nothing but complaining about how bad the game was. Content is useless if you don't like the game itself. That's why I posted what I did in the above quote. Because I do like this game, and content for it is an inevitability. Having some patience for a team that is busting their *** to deliver what their players want is not the same thing as "white knighting".

And given that the idea of which games are good is a completely subjective matter, I don't see you having a leg to stand on when it comes to calling me wrong there... You're welcome to have a differing opinion though.

And your whole stance on this strikes me as very condescending... What kind of a feeble minded douche labels people with different tastes then himself "fleas"? Like seriously guy, I'm all for the game having a broader audience and such, but you seem like one player I'd be happy to see go. I'd also appreciate if you didn't take a few of my words out of context to illustrate some delusional concept of yours about flea people. It makes you look worse than if you just said, "Well, I can't cite anything relevant to what I'm preaching on about, but here's some random thing I just made up."

For the record, I don't think of this game as a cause, religion, banner, etc... I see plenty of faults with it... And I have no qualms with people who don't like it, don't play it, and even those who trash on it for kicks. Fine with me, I'll play it when I feel like it because I enjoy it. What others do with their time and as their hobby is no business of mine. I'm even fine with long winded trolls spewing garbage on the games forums... Whatever floats their shallow little boats. But I do take offense to being taken out of context to make people buy your garbage. So please leave me out of it the next time you climb up on your troll affiliated soapbox and go off on your small minded tangents trying to make people who don't agree with you sound inferior. Anyone who would coin a blanket term such as "fleas" for people that they disagree with, is clearly in no position to be talking down to anyone.

And just to add a little mockery to further illustrate my point...

You're not a douche if you:
- Don't troll forums on the internet.
- Can respect the differing opinions of other people.
- Don't coin belittling blanket terms like "fleas" for the people you disagree with.
- Are never seen standing on a moldy soapbox preaching asinine bull****.

At any rate... Yes, blind fanboys do exist, as do douchebags like yourself. But the people working at SE have minds of their own, and I think they are capable of taking feedback with a grain of salt. FFXI would have never been the game it was if they just blindly took orders from every random troll that reared his head on zam. I'll stick with their games as long as I find them more enjoyable then the alternatives, and if another game comes along that I prefer, I'll jump ship. I don't donate my money to SE because I think they're some godsend to gamers, I do it because I enjoy their MMO's. If that changes, I'll spend my money elsewhere. I'm not what you call a flea though, I'm a niche gamer, at least through the current trend in mainstream games.

____________________________
PvR fun!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-KYqooGHd2g




#97 Feb 07 2011 at 4:24 AM Rating: Decent
***
2,202 posts
Tiger228 wrote:
Alright, this is directed solely at you OP:
TheRealDestian wrote:
Jefro420 wrote:
TheRealDestian wrote:
I enjoy the game, but I can't fathom how some people can say without irony that it's the best game ever made and that it shouldn't be changed.

But nobody is saying that. I challenge you to link to one post where that's what is being said.


Here's a specific nugget, but I don't want to out the poster (though they'll no doubt see it, I'm sure)...

Tiger228 wrote:
What's really sad, is that this game is still in development, is basically a beta, was released way too soon, was misdirected by the old team, and is still more fun than any other mmo on the market...

Seriously, if SE's flops are better than the biggest and most popular mmo's on day 1, then wtf.

(And the part of that post you conveniently left out...)

Of course, it's a subjective matter... If you don't like it, go find something you do like. We gamers sink loads of time into our hobby, and there's no point to it beyond the fun you have, so if you're not having it, you need to find another game or a new hobby. Preferably one that doesn't involve trolling the forums.


If that doesn't convince you, then fine.



I see you quoted me as your citation that "fleas" exist on this forum... But you left out the many posts I've made with ample criticism towards this game.

I still stand by what I said though. This game might be a long long way from perfect, and it sure has it's fair share of issues that need working out... But I still think it's better than any other mmo out there atm. I have tried a couple, and looked into all of the big ones, and I genuinely don't like the premise, execution, or design of them. FFXI was the only MMO I liked, but I had my run with it and lost interest after the ToAU era was wrapping up, so I left. Some friends got me to try WoW a bit later on, and I thought it was terrible. Yes, that opinion isn't the most widely held, as WoW has many more players than FFXI did, but that's the thing with opinions... They're subjective, and everybody is entitled to their own.

FFXIV has got a great foundation, and is going in a great direction, which is key, since most MMO teams right now have the intention of making their games worse, not better... At least to my preferences... This game is lacking enormous amounts of content, needs drastic adjustments to the leve system, could use tweaking in the battle department, requires enthralling strings of quests and missions, needs a stronger focus on party play; especially when it comes to difficult and challenging content, etc. etc. I see a good direction though, and looking down the road I think the game is well on it's way to being where it should. And I still have fun playing it even without all that, where as in other mmo's, with loads of content, I found myself doing nothing but complaining about how bad the game was. Content is useless if you don't like the game itself. That's why I posted what I did in the above quote. Because I do like this game, and content for it is an inevitability. Having some patience for a team that is busting their *** to deliver what their players want is not the same thing as "white knighting".

And given that the idea of which games are good is a completely subjective matter, I don't see you having a leg to stand on when it comes to calling me wrong there... You're welcome to have a differing opinion though.

And your whole stance on this strikes me as very condescending... What kind of a feeble minded douche labels people with different tastes then himself "fleas"? Like seriously guy, I'm all for the game having a broader audience and such, but you seem like one player I'd be happy to see go. I'd also appreciate if you didn't take a few of my words out of context to illustrate some delusional concept of yours about flea people. It makes you look worse than if you just said, "Well, I can't cite anything relevant to what I'm preaching on about, but here's some random thing I just made up."

For the record, I don't think of this game as a cause, religion, banner, etc... I see plenty of faults with it... And I have no qualms with people who don't like it, don't play it, and even those who trash on it for kicks. Fine with me, I'll play it when I feel like it because I enjoy it. What others do with their time and as their hobby is no business of mine. I'm even fine with long winded trolls spewing garbage on the games forums... Whatever floats their shallow little boats. But I do take offense to being taken out of context to make people buy your garbage. So please leave me out of it the next time you climb up on your troll affiliated soapbox and go off on your small minded tangents trying to make people who don't agree with you sound inferior. Anyone who would coin a blanket term such as "fleas" for people that they disagree with, is clearly in no position to be talking down to anyone.

And just to add a little mockery to further illustrate my point...

You're not a douche if you:
- Don't troll forums on the internet.
- Can respect the differing opinions of other people.
- Don't coin belittling blanket terms like "fleas" for the people you disagree with.
- Are never seen standing on a moldy soapbox preaching asinine bull****.

At any rate... Yes, blind fanboys do exist, as do douchebags like yourself. But the people working at SE have minds of their own, and I think they are capable of taking feedback with a grain of salt. FFXI would have never been the game it was if they just blindly took orders from every random troll that reared his head on zam. I'll stick with their games as long as I find them more enjoyable then the alternatives, and if another game comes along that I prefer, I'll jump ship. I don't donate my money to SE because I think they're some godsend to gamers, I do it because I enjoy their MMO's. If that changes, I'll spend my money elsewhere. I'm not what you call a flea though, I'm a niche gamer, at least through the current trend in mainstream games.



Not trying to pick a fight with you or anything, but how can you say this game needs:

Content
Adjustment to the battle system
Huge adjustment to the leve system
Requires enthralling and immersive quest chains
Major focus on party play

And then turn around and say the games foundation is strong ? and other game company's are destroying their games ?




____________________________
MUTED
#98 Feb 07 2011 at 9:54 AM Rating: Decent
*
211 posts
Ostia wrote:


Not trying to pick a fight with you or anything, but how can you say this game needs:

Content
Adjustment to the battle system
Huge adjustment to the leve system
Requires enthralling and immersive quest chains
Major focus on party play

And then turn around and say the games foundation is strong ? and other game company's are destroying their games ?



Because adjustments and tweaks are not the same things as wanting it scrapped entirely and redone differently.

I do think it has a good foundation, and there is plenty of content in the works to build it up with, along with tweaks and adjustments along the way, which we've already seen several of.

So in general, I find this game to be more fun than the alternatives that are on the market, or the horizon, and I like the direction the games going in. SE knows the game needs a lot of work... They are working at it as hard as they can, and they've delayed the PS3 launch, given us an indefinite free trial, and are putting out 2 patches a month, along with regular developer to player communication, and a definite eye out for feedback. I can understand that, and am willing to have some patience... I don't see anything unreasonable about that. If the game goes in a bad direction, I'll consider bailing on it. But it isn't atm so I'm not.

With other mmo's, they can have loads of content, but if the actual game isn't a fun experience, and they aren't taking it in a direction that leads it to be fun, than having more of it doesn't help. If someone does happen to like those other mmo's then why not go play one of them?

So again, I stand by what I said, and see no contradiction in it. I think the games fun, and I'm looking forward to seeing where they go with it. I basically consider it still in development atm, and considering that, I think it's looking pretty good so far. But yes, it has a long way to go. The hardest part for SE is behind them though, assuming they don't kill the games budget... But I doubt they will with as much work as they've already put into it.
____________________________
PvR fun!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-KYqooGHd2g




#99 Feb 07 2011 at 10:06 AM Rating: Good
Avatar
*****
12,703 posts
Ostia wrote:

Not trying to pick a fight with you or anything, but how can you say this game needs:

Content
Adjustment to the battle system
Huge adjustment to the leve system
Requires enthralling and immersive quest chains
Major focus on party play

And then turn around and say the games foundation is strong ? and other game company's are destroying their games ?


Think about it for a second.

Foundation:

Quote:
the basis on which something is grounded
lowest support of a structure


Therefore it does have a strong foundation, everything else is built ontop of it. It's just in this day and age people skew everything around while knowing exactly what is meant, but still try to make it seem like it's wrong.

Guildleve system is perfect in what it was designed for, but in terms of implementation? It can be better.

The battle system is great as is, but it could be so much better and a lot more added to it.

That's foundation, what's present now is fine but it can be much better. There's no need to get rid of anything ***** because XIV suffers mainly from poor implementation over poor design.

Edited, Feb 7th 2011 8:23am by Theonehio
____________________________

#100 Feb 07 2011 at 10:53 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
17 posts
You could just shorten your long post to say "Hey guys! Let's call Fanboys "Fleas" from now on!"

This is just gradeschool name calling underneath too much text.
____________________________
#101 Feb 07 2011 at 12:45 PM Rating: Default
**
435 posts
Tiger228 wrote:
I see you quoted me as your citation that "fleas" exist on this forum... But you left out the many posts I've made with ample criticism towards this game.


I quoted you because it was the most blatant pile of fanboyism I've ever seen spewed on this or possibly any other forum, ever, and I've done WoW, Aion, TF2 and even the reeking **** that is Smashworld.

Let's look at your statement again...

"What's really sad, is that this game is still in development, is basically a beta, was released way too soon, was misdirected by the old team, and is still more fun than any other mmo on the market...

Seriously, if SE's flops are better than the biggest and most popular mmo's on day 1, then wtf."


So you START by saying that FFXIV is the best MMO on the market and that EVERY other MMO is worse than it is...

At some point, you have to acknowledge when the NUMBERS, I mean cold, hard impartial DATA, do not support your claims. Being conservative, WoW has 5,000,000 people still playing it. Other MMOs, while not having met with the same success, have still sustained a strong enough playerbase to keep them running.

There is no denying that FFXIV has potential, but to say that it's MORE fun and by logical conclusion a superior game experience to EVERY other MMO out there? After a statement like that, any "criticism" you put forth upon the game is about as genuine as tobacco companies running anti-smoking ads, because they know for a bloody fact that it's meaningless.

You can't call a game better than every other game on the market and then go on to expect your criticism to be valid, mainly because a lot of the "criticism" you put forth in suggesting improvements to FFXIV are inevitably going to be improvements that already exist in the hundreds of other games you just slighted.

There is nowhere else to go, unless you retract your previous statement about FFXIV being the best MMO ever at launch, at which point I apologize for citing you as an example.

Also, you don't see me slinging names like "douchebag" around...

Fleamsi wrote:
You could just shorten your long post to say "Hey guys! Let's call Fanboys "Fleas" from now on!"

This is just gradeschool name calling underneath too much text.


No, this is me hoping to make a few people wake up and realize that there's no basis for taking personal offense to criticism aimed at something they had no hand in creating.

As you can see, it's not going so well, but expecting that outcome wasn't enough to stop me from trying.
____________________________

This forum is read only
This Forum is Read Only!
Recent Visitors: 15 All times are in CST
Anonymous Guests (15)