Forum Settings
       
This Forum is Read Only

Wondering how FFXIV is now?Follow

#1 Feb 04 2011 at 10:17 AM Rating: Good
4 posts
Hi all. I gave up playing FFXIV after playing for a few weeks after it first came out. Thinking about giving it another try. So mainly I'm just wondering how and/ in what way has the game improved? Is it worth playing now?
#2 Feb 04 2011 at 10:18 AM Rating: Good
Edited by bsphil
******
21,739 posts
There have been lots of changes. Really the best litmus test would be to go try it out again for yourself. It's still free and you already have an account, so give it a shot.
____________________________
His Excellency Aethien wrote:
Almalieque wrote:
If no one debated with me, then I wouldn't post here anymore.
Take the hint guys, please take the hint.
gbaji wrote:
I'm not getting my news from anywhere Joph.
#3 Feb 04 2011 at 10:18 AM Rating: Default
**
845 posts
No new content but they fixed a lot of the crap that was in pre-alpha state.
____________________________

#4 Feb 04 2011 at 10:26 AM Rating: Decent
***
3,416 posts
Nothing substantial. Since the management changed it's like they're attempting to restart the development, so it'll take a while to get things rolling and the overhauls implemented. Spring/Summer will look much different.
____________________________
SE:
Quote:
We really want to compete against World of Warcraft and for example the new Star Wars MMO.

#5 Feb 04 2011 at 10:42 AM Rating: Excellent
****
9,526 posts
Tons of stuff has been fixed. Basically the game still needs content - but the actual mechanics are waaaaay better - SP gain in parties has been made better, the wards are way better, there is way less glitchiness - and now that lots of people have leveled crafts it is easier to find the stuff you want... etc etc.
____________________________
lolgaxe wrote:
When it comes to sitting around not doing anything for long periods of time, only being active for short windows, and marginal changes and sidegrades I'd say FFXI players were the perfect choice for politicians.


#6 Feb 04 2011 at 11:37 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
2,153 posts
Some essential mechanics (basic AH-functionality like search etc.) and several fixes
to the SP system and UI have been added. Nontheless, there have been no "substantial"
changes to the game/job system yet. ATM, it looks like those are next in line, although
nothing definite is known.
#7 Feb 04 2011 at 11:45 AM Rating: Excellent
Scholar
**
812 posts
Why don't you just log in and find out. Subjective experience is really the only thing that can tell you if the game is fun in it's current state or not. While there hasn't been much content added since release, most everything in the game has been made less annoying.
____________________________
Abaddon Active Player Roster
- All your Fabul Sever are belong to us! -


#8bigalohelper, Posted: Feb 04 2011 at 3:29 PM, Rating: Sub-Default, (Expand Post) To sum up all of the above post: We cannot claim ourselves that the game has improved because it has not, but hey instead of getting pounced on for talking bad about the game, we will withdraw our personnel opinions on the game as of fear of standing out. Does anyone feel that this game is actually good enough to recommend it to a (real friend)? I hear a lot of people continue to play the game soley for the purpose of chatting. (Wow impressive game O.o)
#9 Feb 04 2011 at 3:48 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
**
812 posts
bigalohelper wrote:
To sum up all of the above post: We cannot claim ourselves that the game has improved because it has not, but hey instead of getting pounced on for talking bad about the game, we will withdraw our personnel opinions on the game as of fear of standing out. Does anyone feel that this game is actually good enough to recommend it to a (real friend)? I hear a lot of people continue to play the game soley for the purpose of chatting. (Wow impressive game O.o)
The writer of this post asked a specific question, to respond to the post by saying try it for yourself is a waste of cyber storage, it's a politicion answer. Please decide if the answer actually satifies the question or statement.
Can anyone at all honestly say this game is even 1/10'TH the fun and excitment that FF11 had? I dont get the resistance for people to tell the truth about the game, if you dont like it say it. Who cares what these people think about our opinions of the game, because these are forums, they're not made just to tells the goods and the bads get locked and sub-defaulted. This forum is like the IRAN Gov't, they control what is said. So any post that survives I guess is in alignment with the administrators views and goals of the game.

Edited, Feb 4th 2011 4:38pm by bigalohelper

Right so you want us to answer objectively to a question that is entirely subjective. Got it.

Yes it has improved. I cannot answer for you as to whether those improvements have made the game fun, I had fun with the game before the improvements.
____________________________
Abaddon Active Player Roster
- All your Fabul Sever are belong to us! -


#10 Feb 04 2011 at 3:48 PM Rating: Decent
*****
11,539 posts
bigalohelper wrote:
The writer of this post asked a specific question, to respond to the post by saying try it for yourself is a waste of cyber storage, it's a politicion answer. Please decide if the answer actually satifies the question or statement.


Whether or not you like something is a pretty subjective thing. I didn't like FF13, for example, but that won't stop me from telling people "Try it out yourself" despite the fact that I personally disliked it. Similarly, while I liked FF12, I'm not going to insist that this means EVERYONE should. Some people didn't.

The OP asked if the game has improved and was worth playing. The game has improved (this is objective) but whether it is worth playing is in fact subjective. Some people will say yes, some people will say no. Neither yes nor no actually provides an accurate answer. "Try it for yourself" is a perfectly valid answer to the question.

bigalohelper wrote:
Can anyone at all honestly say this game is even 1/10'TH the fun and excitment that FF11 had? I dont get the resistance for people to tell the truth about the game, if you dont like it say it.


While I personally can't, I'm sure that some people are having fun in the game. Some people didn't even play FF11 and are enjoying FF14. I didn't get this part though:

bigalohelper wrote:
I dont get the resistance for people to tell the truth about the game, if you dont like it say it. Who cares what these people think about our opinions of the game


Isn't it contradictory to say "I dont get the resistance [...] to tell the truth about the game" [sic] and then follow up with "Who cares what these people think about our opinions"? Either the OP -should- care about the opinions of the people answering him or he shouldn't.

bigalohelper wrote:
This forum is like the IRAN Gov't, they control what is said. So any post that survives I guess is in alignment with the administrators views and goals of the game.


Smiley: tinfoilhat
____________________________
[ffxisig]55836[/ffxisig]

Mikhalia: and FWIW, my posts are 95% helpful, informative, or funny.
Mikhalia: only 5% or less of my posts are utter crap.
Tyapex: 393 posts of utter crap...
Mikhalia: Sounds about right.
#11 Feb 04 2011 at 4:34 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
44 posts
The person asking "is the game any good" does NOT want the answer "go try it yourself", just like you DON'T want the answer "go find out" when asking "is the town museum worth visiting?"

The person asking this wants your opinions, and the person asking is well aware that he/she can go put in a lot of hours to find out the answer for him/herself. However, if you have been playing the whole time since the start and seen these changes step by step and have an active LinkShell and chat with the online community on your servers, you'll have a way better grasp of how good or bad the game has become than anyone can "find out" by simply logging in and running around for the same amount of time that reading a thread of answers take.
____________________________
Journal of the Kitty - the adventures of Vivacia Yuuki of the Rabanastre world
http://ffxivjournal.blogspot.com/
#12 Feb 04 2011 at 4:41 PM Rating: Excellent
Scholar
**
812 posts
Vivacia wrote:
The person asking "is the game any good" does NOT want the answer "go try it yourself", just like you DON'T want the answer "go find out" when asking "is the town museum worth visiting?"

The person asking this wants your opinions, and the person asking is well aware that he/she can go put in a lot of hours to find out the answer for him/herself. However, if you have been playing the whole time since the start and seen these changes step by step and have an active LinkShell and chat with the online community on your servers, you'll have a way better grasp of how good or bad the game has become than anyone can "find out" by simply logging in and running around for the same amount of time that reading a thread of answers take.

Again, it's a subjective answer and I gave my opinion, but that may not be the OPs opinion, the only way to find that out is to try it himself.
____________________________
Abaddon Active Player Roster
- All your Fabul Sever are belong to us! -


#13 Feb 04 2011 at 4:48 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
34 posts
Mikhalia the Picky wrote:
bigalohelper wrote:
Big rant about not getting an answer I didn't really agree with.


While I personally can't, I'm sure that some people are having fun in the game. Some people didn't even play FF11 and are enjoying FF14. I didn't get this part though:

bigalohelper wrote:
I dont get the resistance for people to tell the truth about the game, if you dont like it say it. Who cares what these people think about our opinions of the game


Isn't it contradictory to say "I dont get the resistance [...] to tell the truth about the game" [sic] and then follow up with "Who cares what these people think about our opinions"? Either the OP -should- care about the opinions of the people answering him or he shouldn't.

bigalohelper wrote:
This forum is like the IRAN Gov't, they control what is said. So any post that survives I guess is in alignment with the administrators views and goals of the game.


Smiley: tinfoilhat


Mikhalia for president?

On a serious note, I've been playing since launch but I didn't play FF11, so does that mean that my opinion wouldn't count? Because I wouldn't know if it's 1/10th the fun and excitement that FF11 had.
What I DO know is that it's more fun than WoW - which I played for many years and did a lot of end game.

It's a matter of opinion and that can't tell a person whether they like it or not.
My wife is playing more since the changes because she can now do things a lot easier than at launch.
I've seen many people from my LS come back after months of not playing and staying to play.
I myself am enjoying it more because SP is more balanced between solo and grouping now and it's no longer just a mindless Coblyn grind.

As everyone has said before me, try it for yourself. It shouldn't take you long to work out if you like it or not. Better now then later when they start charging. :)
____________________________


#14bigalohelper, Posted: Feb 04 2011 at 4:51 PM, Rating: Sub-Default, (Expand Post) Saying try it yourself is acceptable and valid? In what world do you come from in that this answer satisfies any question asked? If you dont have an opinion, then saying nothing is better than wasting our time by reading "try it yourself". Basically it's like saying that some things just dont need to be said, it's called common sense. He knows he can try it for himself, but HE DIDN'T ask if he can try it for himself did he? Im sure he understands that the question will result in a subjective Point Of View, do we really need to question that aspect of it?
#15 Feb 04 2011 at 4:54 PM Rating: Excellent
****
9,526 posts
If the OP has a problem with people saying "try it yourself and see" they can say so. They don't need an army of troll defenders. They appear to be able to type and click the post button all by themselves.

____________________________
lolgaxe wrote:
When it comes to sitting around not doing anything for long periods of time, only being active for short windows, and marginal changes and sidegrades I'd say FFXI players were the perfect choice for politicians.


#16 Feb 04 2011 at 4:55 PM Rating: Excellent
Scholar
34 posts
bigalohelper wrote:
Saying try it yourself is acceptable and valid?


"Dad, can I kick a football?"

"I don't know son, I'm sure you can. How about you give it a try yourself?"


That to me looks like a valid answer...
____________________________


#17bigalohelper, Posted: Feb 04 2011 at 5:03 PM, Rating: Sub-Default, (Expand Post) Wow you certainly cleared this up, **** your good.
#18 Feb 04 2011 at 5:05 PM Rating: Excellent
Scholar
34 posts
bigalohelper wrote:
Shurbryn wrote:
bigalohelper wrote:
Saying try it yourself is acceptable and valid?


"Dad, can I kick a football?"

"I don't know son, I'm sure you can. How about you give it a try yourself?"


That to me looks like a valid answer...


Wow you certainly cleared this up, **** your good.



;)

While I'm at it, it's "you're".
____________________________


#19 Feb 04 2011 at 5:33 PM Rating: Good
**
284 posts
Nice. And to OP.... Yes. :)
#20 Feb 04 2011 at 5:38 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
2,153 posts
Hazelnut.
With sour cream.
#21 Feb 04 2011 at 5:50 PM Rating: Excellent
*****
16,959 posts
This is how the game will be:
Screenshot


This is how it is now:
Screenshot


In all seriousness though, it's definitely worth playing right now.
____________________________
MyAnimeList FFXIV Krystal Spoonless
#22 Feb 14 2011 at 10:40 AM Rating: Decent
11 posts
I'm another person that is curious, only I have not purchased the game. I feel sorry for the person that posted the question. Y'all do realize that you can give your opinion while still advising to try it yourself. The poor guy was just trying to figure out how others were liking it. So if your response isn't about how it is now, being that the question was "Wondering how FFXIV is now?", maybe you shouldn't respond at all.
#23 Feb 14 2011 at 10:51 AM Rating: Good
****
9,526 posts
ne0jon wrote:
I feel sorry for the person that posted the question. Y'all do realize that you can give your opinion while still advising to try it yourself.


We DID give our opinions.

Quote:
So mainly I'm just wondering how and/ in what way has the game improved?


My reply:

Quote:
Tons of stuff has been fixed. Basically the game still needs content - but the actual mechanics are waaaaay better - SP gain in parties has been made better, the wards are way better, there is way less glitchiness - and now that lots of people have leveled crafts it is easier to find the stuff you want... etc etc.


How does that NOT answer the question?
____________________________
lolgaxe wrote:
When it comes to sitting around not doing anything for long periods of time, only being active for short windows, and marginal changes and sidegrades I'd say FFXI players were the perfect choice for politicians.


#24 Feb 14 2011 at 11:02 AM Rating: Decent
11 posts
Let me clear and say that I'm not referring to everyone that posted, just the people debating the adequacy of a response. If you gave your opinion, you are not the target of my response. Sorry I thought that would be obvious.
#25 Feb 14 2011 at 11:26 AM Rating: Excellent
**
650 posts
ne0jon wrote:
I'm another person that is curious, only I have not purchased the game. I feel sorry for the person that posted the question. Y'all do realize that you can give your opinion while still advising to try it yourself. The poor guy was just trying to figure out how others were liking it. So if your response isn't about how it is now, being that the question was "Wondering how FFXIV is now?", maybe you shouldn't respond at all.


But that's not all the question he asked. The last question he asked in his topic body is "Is it worth playing now?"

Asking that worth of something is very subjective question, thus poster's are inclined to give suggestions to try it themselves as means to be more objective.

To the OP's question.

Quote:
Wondering how FFXIV is now?


FFXIV is experiencing the start of redevelopment and temporary stability, depending on where the SE and its new development team will take it.

Quote:
So mainly I'm just wondering how and/ in what way has the game improved?


Game has improved in a lot of places, the skill points curve has been smoothed up to rank 23+. Skill point acquisition has seen a lot of changes and the last one making it better now to target green to red mobs.

Inventory has seen changes in stacking and sorting, lots of items now sort to 99. thus DoL/DoH players are having great time harvesting.

Market Ward is now a few steps closer to becoming an Auction House most people have been asking for.

Quote:
Is it worth playing now?

To me it is. I get more things done now and is able to find items faster. I level faster too.
____________________________
Mikayla Soulfire (XIV), Ul'dah, Istory
Lodestone Profile

Mikael (XI) Bastok, CaithSith
RDM/BST/BLU/NIN/BLM

Thus is our agreement written, thus is treaty made. Thought is the arrow of time; Memory never fades. What was asked is given; The price is paid.
#26 Feb 14 2011 at 11:35 AM Rating: Decent
16 posts
cl3595 wrote:
Hi all. I gave up playing FFXIV after playing for a few weeks after it first came out. Thinking about giving it another try. So mainly I'm just wondering how and/ in what way has the game improved? Is it worth playing now?


I really can't believe people are arguing about your question.

If you are all about grinding for EXP/SP, then in that aspect it is better. The combat hasn't changed, save for UI lag reduction and maybe some slightly faster animation. The quests haven't changed, but if you are doing Disciple of the Land then there are more Leves to do. The market wards have improved, but if you are looking for the quickness of an auction house then don't get your hopes up. A lot of people are arguing that NM's = content, but I think that is a matter of personal opinion. With the NM's in place, I guess there is more stuff to kill if you can get a group together. In my opinion, it has not improved enough for me to come back. I hope this helps in making your decision.
____________________________

#27 Feb 14 2011 at 11:39 AM Rating: Good
Sage
*
139 posts
cl3595 wrote:
Is it worth playing now?


In my opinion it is worth playing now. There have been a lot of changes, and it's not like it's costing you anything to play it since it's still free right now.

It's probably that one statement that provoked all the flames though. Whether or not something can be "worth" playing means that the benefit you get for it outweighs the cost. No one can tell you if the benefit of a game (fun factor) outweighs the cost (time put in, or money) in your opinion. So yes, in my opinion it does, I am having fun. There is still a lack of content, but I am enjoying what things I can do in the game. And the recent updates have really given me hope for the future of this game, I can only see it getting better and better.
____________________________

#28 Feb 14 2011 at 12:00 PM Rating: Decent
11 posts
I do agree that its a subjective question, but you can give your opinion as to whether or not it was worth it for you. I'm pretty sure he wasn't expecting people to know if it was worth it to him.


This forum is read only
This Forum is Read Only!
Recent Visitors: 17 All times are in CST
Anonymous Guests (17)