Forum Settings
       
This Forum is Read Only

Final Fantasy XIV recaptures first place in JapanFollow

#52 Feb 07 2011 at 4:14 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
***
1,948 posts
Ostia wrote:
wrongfeifong wrote:
i highly doubt japanese will even enjoy World of warcrap.

Starcraft ... is CRAP when you have Koei and Konomi over there with BANDAI reign supreme in strategy base game.

Seriously, starcraft 2 is horrible and i would give it a 2/10 when you actually have options like me who know various languages and have access to various game platform.

Americans are trap in their own jail cells. **** tastes amazing when you never taste anything else in the world.


Starcraft >>> Anything made by koei or bandai(Except SRWOG) i mean for people that say starcrat 2 dint add anything new to the genre, and then say "Bandai and koei rule suprime" it's pretty stupid, both companies have been making the same game for over 10 years, just new chars, shinier graphics, but the same basic story Line. Really how many romance of the three kingdoms are out there ? like 15 ?


Whut, KOEI mainly make Turn-based Strategy Game, RTS and TBS are two different beasts. And ROTK and Nobunaga's Ambition are very popular at the very least in Japan + Asia. And there's only 11 ROTK with 11 being the final one.

Oh ya, I forgot crappy PW from PWE claim to have 50m players which are over 3 times WoW height and you said it's F2P so it doesn't count. Sorry man, didn't want to hurt your feeling.

Edited, Feb 7th 2011 5:15pm by Khornette
____________________________




#53 Feb 07 2011 at 4:30 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
**
691 posts
Well, Khornette, PW is the number 1 game in China, and pretty popular in its international incarnation, as well. Its like WOW, but with much bigger pvp rewards and a lot more "just for fun" activities. So, best game in the country with the largest population in the world+ ease of play+ having an international version is bound to equal the highest player base. Keep in mind roughly 70% of WOW's numbers come from the CN and TW versions, as well.


Edited, Feb 7th 2011 4:31pm by Uryuu
#54 Feb 07 2011 at 4:35 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
1,948 posts
Uryuu wrote:
Well, Khornette, PW is the number 1 game in China, and pretty popular in its international incarnation, as well. Its like WOW, but with much bigger pvp rewards and a lot more "just for fun" activities. So, best game in the country with the largest population in the world+ ease of play+ having an international version is bound to equal the highest player base. Keep in mind roughly 70% of WOW's numbers come from the CN and TW versions, as well.


Edited, Feb 7th 2011 4:31pm by Uryuu


But in Ostia's words, F2P and P2P are two different beasts. Yet he compared Turn-Based Strategy and Real Time Strategy... I would say Super Mario is bigger and better than anything Blizzard has.
____________________________




#55 Feb 07 2011 at 4:45 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
**
691 posts
To say a game is a different genre because of the way in which they ask you to pay is...well..you know what it is. That's like saying because XIV is Buy to Play atm that its not a MMORPG and cannot be compared to any other MMORPG. Perfect World is almost exactly like WOW in every way, shape, and form aside from having more "fun" things to do and better group PvP, as well as double jumps. The fact that they don't force you to pay for the game ever if you don't feel like it shouldn't disqualify them from being compared to a game that can't seem to keep its hands away from your piggy bank with all its double-dipping "optional" services.

Basically I'm agreeing that RTS and TBS are comparable genres just like FPS and TPS (third person shooters) are comparable.

Edited, Feb 7th 2011 4:49pm by Uryuu
#56Ostia, Posted: Feb 07 2011 at 6:13 PM, Rating: Sub-Default, (Expand Post) I never claimed they where the same genre, i can understand reading is hard, but who was the one that compared SC2 to games made by KOEI or Bandai ? That was not me :) I simply stated that starcraft is better than anything koei has ever made, and saying starcraft 2 dint add anything new, when KOEI is well known for just making the same game over and over, take ROTK or Dynasty warriors for example, part 4-5-6-7 is no different than the previous and will not be different than the next, in each you will fight lu bu at the gate battle, and you will have to set on fire the ships when facing cao cao etc etc.
#57 Feb 07 2011 at 6:38 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
**
597 posts
Ostia wrote:
And Uryuu i know you hate wow, and wont miss a chance to throw some misinformation any time you can, but really ? Even when china banned WOTLK wow reached 11million subs and reached 12million before cataclysm launched, if CN and TW hold 70% of the subs, they need to hold 8.4million <.< are you bad with math ? or are you just trolling ? Oh no no wait, i know what you gonna say XD! Those damm chinese gold sellers <.<



IIRC, while China was waiting for WOTLK to get approved, most of the Chinese playerbase set up shop on the Taiwanese servers because, ****, who wants to wait that long? So yes, China and Taiwan could still easily hold the bulk of WoW players, even when one of them was effectively shut down.
____________________________
WoW - Andorhal
Darkkiwi - 85 Gnome Unholy Death Knight - <Flaming Bunnies>
Lightkiwi - 72 Gnome Disc Priest - <Flaming Bunnies>
Kwanita - 82 Gnome Frost Mage - <Flaming Bunnies>
Maglyn - 81 Gnome Protection Warrior - <Flaming Bunnies>


Don't play that game anymore. :P
#58 Feb 07 2011 at 6:48 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
**
691 posts
Ostia, I actually find WOW to be fun in the same vein as say, PWI or Aika Online. The issue is, 1 game charges you a monthly fee + expansion fees+ has a fluff shop, while the other 2 have no monthly fee, free expansions, and a fluff shop.
Its not that I "hate" WOW, its that, in my opinion, its only worth paying 10 dollars a month for.



Oh, and on the subject of KOEI, its now TECMOKOEI.
http://www.tecmokoeiamerica.com/games/index.cfm

Wonder how good the new Uncharted Waters game is...loved the original back on SEGA genesis/SNES.



Edited, Feb 7th 2011 6:54pm by Uryuu
#59 Feb 07 2011 at 6:54 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
***
1,948 posts
Ostia wrote:
in each you will fight lu bu at the gate battle, and you will have to set on fire the ships when facing cao cao etc etc.


Because it follows the Novel/Records of the Three Kingdom (History is different a bit). It's like you play SC2 and you're fighting Zerg and Protoss and Terran over and over again, or C&C with GDI and NOD over and over and over and what, over again and again. Or what the eft, Warhammer/WH40k with the Imperium again and again?
____________________________




#60 Feb 07 2011 at 6:55 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
**
691 posts
Khornette wrote:
Ostia wrote:
in each you will fight lu bu at the gate battle, and you will have to set on fire the ships when facing cao cao etc etc.


Because it follows the Novel/Records of the Three Kingdom (History is different a bit). It's like you play SC2 and you're fighting Zerg and Protoss and Terran over and over again, or C&C with GDI and NOD over and over and over and what, over again and again. Or what the eft, Warhammer/WH40k with the Imperium again and again?


I love reading Three Kingdoms and watching anime inspired by it, such as Ikkitousen <.<

Edited, Feb 7th 2011 7:26pm by Uryuu
#61 Feb 07 2011 at 7:03 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
513 posts
Khornette wrote:

You do know Ragnarok Online is Korean? Sure it's anime-ish, but it isn't Japanese.

I know this. I also know it's a million years old because I used to play it as a kid.

Quote:

And you're kidding me, Type-Moon and Nitro Plus are immensely popular visual novel developers. Their works are almost always huge success in Japan and even outside.

They're not immensely popular and their works are not huge outside Japan. They are niche products aimed at the, admittedly relatively large, otaku market. Your average <30-year-old Japanese guy probably has never even heard of Type-Moon or Nitro Plus. Try asking around a mainstream Western gaming site how many have played games by these companies and I'm pretty sure it's going to be quiet in your thread, as well.

Edited, Feb 7th 2011 8:04pm by Omena
____________________________
#62 Feb 07 2011 at 7:35 PM Rating: Default
***
2,202 posts
Quanta wrote:
Ostia wrote:
And Uryuu i know you hate wow, and wont miss a chance to throw some misinformation any time you can, but really ? Even when china banned WOTLK wow reached 11million subs and reached 12million before cataclysm launched, if CN and TW hold 70% of the subs, they need to hold 8.4million <.< are you bad with math ? or are you just trolling ? Oh no no wait, i know what you gonna say XD! Those damm chinese gold sellers <.<



IIRC, while China was waiting for WOTLK to get approved, most of the Chinese playerbase set up shop on the Taiwanese servers because, sh*t, who wants to wait that long? So yes, China and Taiwan could still easily hold the bulk of WoW players, even when one of them was effectively shut down.



Proof ? none ? Kthx

@ Uryuu: i guess you enjoyed wow as much as i enjoyed FFXIV. As for KOEI now bieng techw/e hopefully they will do good with the ROTK series.

@ Khorne: You know what i meant, in starcraft 2 you do not play SC1, in ROTK you play the same game you played the previous game, just with more or less options depending on the # of the game you played, wanna split more hairs ?
____________________________
MUTED
#63 Feb 07 2011 at 7:56 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
***
1,948 posts
Omena wrote:
They're not immensely popular and their works are not huge outside Japan. They are niche products aimed at the, admittedly relatively large, otaku market. Your average <30-year-old Japanese guy probably has never even heard of Type-Moon or Nitro Plus. Try asking around a mainstream Western gaming site how many have played games by these companies and I'm pretty sure it's going to be quiet in your thread, as well.


And trying asking in a mainstream Japanese gaming site about *coughs* ME2 and FO:NV and I'm pretty sure it's going to be quiet in your thread, as well. *Hint* Steins;Gate sales in the first week outsold both ME2 and FO:NV in months, on XBox 360.

Ostia wrote:
@ Khorne: You know what i meant, in starcraft 2 you do not play SC1, in ROTK you play the same game you played the previous game, just with more or less options depending on the # of the game you played, wanna split more hairs ?


ROTK is *Surprise* based on ROTK. Unless the author who died hundreds of years ago managed to revive and write more sequel, then of course it's going to be the same old story. But then of course it aint going to be Romance of the Three Kingdoms if there aint three kingdoms...

Edited, Feb 7th 2011 9:00pm by Khornette
____________________________




#64 Feb 07 2011 at 7:59 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
513 posts
Khornette wrote:

And trying asking in a mainstream Japanese gaming site about *coughs* ME2 and FO:NV and I'm pretty sure it's going to be quiet in your thread, as well. *Hint* Steins;Gate sales in the first week outsold both ME2 and FO:NV in months, on XBox 360.

Of course, because they are Xbox games and not Japanese. That sh*t isn't going to sell in Japan because it's not Japanese. Nowhere did I say anything to the contrary. Come back to me when Mahoutsukai no Yoru outsells a Dragon Quest game.

Edited, Feb 7th 2011 9:02pm by Omena
____________________________
#65 Feb 07 2011 at 8:01 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
***
1,948 posts
Omena wrote:
Khornette wrote:

And trying asking in a mainstream Japanese gaming site about *coughs* ME2 and FO:NV and I'm pretty sure it's going to be quiet in your thread, as well. *Hint* Steins;Gate sales in the first week outsold both ME2 and FO:NV in months, on XBox 360.

Of course, because they are Xbox games and not Japanese. That sh*t isn't going to sell in Japan because it's not Japanese. Nowhere did I say anything to the contrary.

Edited, Feb 7th 2011 9:00pm by Omena


Yea because Ragnarok is totally Japanese, but then you said you knew it's not Japanese, wait what? It's a matter of taste more than a matter of nationality, because Japanese and Korean historically are more in conflict than against, say, US.
____________________________




#66 Feb 07 2011 at 8:04 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
513 posts
Khornette wrote:

Yea because Ragnarok is totally Japanese, but then you said you knew it's not Japanese, wait what? It's a matter of taste more than a matter of nationality, because Japanese and Korean historically are more in conflict than against, say, US.

You seem confused. RO did not sell well in Japan. Sure, it's in the top 5 there but it's meaningless because it's the PC top 5 and all of those games sold poorly in comparison to Japanese console games. That's been my gigantic point all along but you keep missing it.
____________________________
#67 Feb 07 2011 at 8:57 PM Rating: Decent
***
2,202 posts
Khornette wrote:

Ostia wrote:
@ Khorne: You know what i meant, in starcraft 2 you do not play SC1, in ROTK you play the same game you played the previous game, just with more or less options depending on the # of the game you played, wanna split more hairs ?


ROTK is *Surprise* based on ROTK. Unless the author who died hundreds of years ago managed to revive and write more sequel, then of course it's going to be the same old story. But then of course it aint going to be Romance of the Three Kingdoms if there aint three kingdoms...

Edited, Feb 7th 2011 9:00pm by Khornette


SC2 is *Surprise* based on SC Lore. Unless blizzard decides to add a new race, humans are gonna fight zerg, and protos will fight both the humans and the zerg, and so On. Again you missed the entire point of my comment, and went on some a useless rant, that had nothing to do with what i actually said, oh and ROTKXI sold 79k copies, yeah i'm pretty sure is HUGE in japan and asia XD!
____________________________
MUTED
#68 Feb 07 2011 at 9:02 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
**
691 posts
Ostia wrote:


SC2 is *Surprise* based on SC Lore.


Actually, Starcraft is copied almost ver batim from Warhammer 40k Lore, just like the original WC games were copied from Warhammer. They changed names, of course, and added in the protoss/draenei/eredar (all the same thing) to both games, but at their heart they were originally intended to be Warhammer properties.

Edited, Feb 7th 2011 9:02pm by Uryuu
#69 Feb 07 2011 at 9:28 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
***
1,948 posts
Omena wrote:
Khornette wrote:

Yea because Ragnarok is totally Japanese, but then you said you knew it's not Japanese, wait what? It's a matter of taste more than a matter of nationality, because Japanese and Korean historically are more in conflict than against, say, US.

You seem confused. RO did not sell well in Japan. Sure, it's in the top 5 there but it's meaningless because it's the PC top 5 and all of those games sold poorly in comparison to Japanese console games. That's been my gigantic point all along but you keep missing it.


Right, so DA:O is made in Japan because it sure sold pretty darn well in XBox 360 and PS3. Oh wait, you meant those two aren't consoles, and that DA:O happens to be made by the very same company that made ME2 that sold so low? Because, big hint here, DA:O is a different taste from ME2, and DA:O happens to suit Japanese taste, but ME2 doesn't.
____________________________




#70 Feb 07 2011 at 9:33 PM Rating: Default
***
2,202 posts
Uryuu wrote:
Ostia wrote:


SC2 is *Surprise* based on SC Lore.


Actually, Starcraft is copied almost ver batim from Warhammer 40k Lore, just like the original WC games were copied from Warhammer. They changed names, of course, and added in the protoss/draenei/eredar (all the same thing) to both games, but at their heart they were originally intended to be Warhammer properties.

Edited, Feb 7th 2011 9:02pm by Uryuu


Indeed indeed do tell more please
____________________________
MUTED
#71 Feb 07 2011 at 9:36 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
513 posts
Khornette wrote:

Right, so DA:O is made in Japan because it sure sold pretty darn well in XBox 360 and PS3. Oh wait, you meant those two aren't consoles, and that DA:O happens to be made by the very same company that made ME2 that sold so low? Because, big hint here, DA:O is a different taste from ME2, and DA:O happens to suit Japanese taste, but ME2 doesn't.

Nothing sells pretty darn well on the 360 because almost nobody owns it in Japan. Guess why? Because it's not Japanese. As far as DA:O sales go, I couldn't find numbers anywhere but I'll bet a kidney they weren't too amazing.

Edited, Feb 7th 2011 10:54pm by Omena
____________________________
#72 Feb 07 2011 at 9:45 PM Rating: Excellent
Scholar
***
1,948 posts
Omena wrote:
Khornette wrote:

Right, so DA:O is made in Japan because it sure sold pretty darn well in XBox 360 and PS3. Oh wait, you meant those two aren't consoles, and that DA:O happens to be made by the very same company that made ME2 that sold so low? Because, big hint here, DA:O is a different taste from ME2, and DA:O happens to suit Japanese taste, but ME2 doesn't.

Nothing sells pretty darn well on the 360 because almost nobody owns in Japan. Guess why? Because it's not Japanese. As far as DA:O sales go, I couldn't find numbers anywhere but I'll bet a kidney they weren't too amazing.


I know you would say that, but didn't you read PS3? DA:O is top on PS3 also. Oh wait, almost nobody owns PS3 in Japan. Guess why? Because it's not Japanese. Wait what?

And as of March 2010, Xbox 360 sold 1,235,049 units. That's a pretty large number for zero. Unless of course that's 1.2m are all bought by foreigner tourists while they were visiting Japan.

Edited, Feb 7th 2011 10:47pm by Khornette
____________________________




#73 Feb 07 2011 at 9:55 PM Rating: Default
***
2,202 posts
Khornette wrote:
Omena wrote:
Khornette wrote:

Right, so DA:O is made in Japan because it sure sold pretty darn well in XBox 360 and PS3. Oh wait, you meant those two aren't consoles, and that DA:O happens to be made by the very same company that made ME2 that sold so low? Because, big hint here, DA:O is a different taste from ME2, and DA:O happens to suit Japanese taste, but ME2 doesn't.

Nothing sells pretty darn well on the 360 because almost nobody owns in Japan. Guess why? Because it's not Japanese. As far as DA:O sales go, I couldn't find numbers anywhere but I'll bet a kidney they weren't too amazing.


I know you would say that, but didn't you read PS3? DA:O is top on PS3 also. Oh wait, almost nobody owns PS3 in Japan. Guess why? Because it's not Japanese. Wait what?

And as of March 2010, Xbox 360 sold 1,235,049 units. That's a pretty large number for zero. Unless of course that's 1.2m are all bought by foreigner tourists while they were visiting Japan.

Edited, Feb 7th 2011 10:47pm by Khornette


http://gamrreview.vgchartz.com/sales/33502/dragon-age-origins/

41k.... HUGE Success <.<
____________________________
MUTED
#74 Feb 07 2011 at 9:57 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
513 posts
Khornette wrote:

I know you would say that, but didn't you read PS3? DA:O is top on PS3 also. Oh wait, almost nobody owns PS3 in Japan. Guess why? Because it's not Japanese. Wait what?

I said I doubt the sales were very impressive. Perhaps if all planets align and we get a slow month along with an unusually well selling foreign title, the sales aren't completely terribad on the top 10 charts.

Quote:

And as of March 2010, Xbox 360 sold 1,235,049 units. That's a pretty large number for zero. Unless of course that's 1.2m are all bought by foreigner tourists while they were visiting Japan.

Yes, and at the same time the PS3 had sold nearly 5 million units, which was only half of the 10 million Wiis.

Edited, Feb 7th 2011 10:59pm by Omena
____________________________
#75 Feb 07 2011 at 10:32 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
**
691 posts


In 1 week, 41 thousand copies sold in Japan, while the first week of Dragon Age in NA AND SA combined sold 112k copies. Yeah, considering there's a lot more land and people here, I would have to say it did awesome in comparative sales.

Edit, Thanks, khornette. Apparently I'm colorblind <.<

Edited, Feb 7th 2011 11:29pm by Uryuu
#76 Feb 07 2011 at 11:16 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
1,948 posts
Omena wrote:
Yes, and at the same time the PS3 had sold nearly 5 million units, which was only half of the 10 million Wiis.


You seem to miss the point, you were stating that 1.2m equals zero because almost nobody owns an Xbox 360 in Japan. 1.2m, whilst this PS3 DA:O sold 1,130,421 in its lifetime world wide up till now, for over a year.

Uryuu wrote:
Read the graph as well
Vgcharts wrote:

Total Sales- Week 64
Americas: 734.79k
Japan: 350.06k


350k is actually elsewhere (not in America and not in Japan). But man, 3k and 2k for the first two weeks since release outside of America and Japan, the world sure hate US game. Consider 910m in America continent (Assuming they meant that by saying America in the chart) and 127m in Japan, that leaves 5 billion human on Earth hating US game.

Oh and this

http://gamrreview.vgchartz.com/sales/756/final-fantasy-vii/

You can't sell game in the US if it isn't made in USA. FFVII sold 0 copies for the first 10 weeks in the US according to the chart.

Edited, Feb 8th 2011 12:23am by Khornette
____________________________




#77 Feb 08 2011 at 4:57 AM Rating: Default
***
2,202 posts
Since when does america has 910m people <.< (Unless you meant the entire continent as in N,C,S America)
____________________________
MUTED
#78 Feb 08 2011 at 6:04 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
1,948 posts
Ostia wrote:
Since when does america has 910m people <.< (Unless you meant the entire continent as in N,C,S America)


Khornette wrote:
Consider 910m in America continent (Assuming they meant that by saying America in the chart) and 127m in Japan, that leaves 5 billion human on Earth hating US game.


You need better glasses...
____________________________




#79 Feb 08 2011 at 6:14 AM Rating: Decent
Avatar
*****
12,709 posts
Omena wrote:
Khornette wrote:

And trying asking in a mainstream Japanese gaming site about *coughs* ME2 and FO:NV and I'm pretty sure it's going to be quiet in your thread, as well. *Hint* Steins;Gate sales in the first week outsold both ME2 and FO:NV in months, on XBox 360.

Of course, because they are Xbox games and not Japanese. That sh*t isn't going to sell in Japan because it's not Japanese. Nowhere did I say anything to the contrary. Come back to me when Mahoutsukai no Yoru outsells a Dragon Quest game.

Edited, Feb 7th 2011 9:02pm by Omena


Mass Effect actually has a little bit of a following in Japan because of the type of game it is. (The first one at least.)

Omena wrote:
Khornette wrote:

Yea because Ragnarok is totally Japanese, but then you said you knew it's not Japanese, wait what? It's a matter of taste more than a matter of nationality, because Japanese and Korean historically are more in conflict than against, say, US.

You seem confused. RO did not sell well in Japan. Sure, it's in the top 5 there but it's meaningless because it's the PC top 5 and all of those games sold poorly in comparison to Japanese console games. That's been my gigantic point all along but you keep missing it.


Of course PC games wouldn't do well compared to console games in a nation where console gaming > PC gaming. Your point is basically it doesn't matter because they mainly play consoles, which makes no sense as you can't deny that it did well in its own right.



Edited, Feb 8th 2011 4:27am by Theonehio
____________________________

#80 Feb 08 2011 at 7:04 AM Rating: Default
***
2,202 posts
Khornette wrote:
Ostia wrote:
Since when does america has 910m people <.< (Unless you meant the entire continent as in N,C,S America)


Khornette wrote:
Consider 910m in America continent (Assuming they meant that by saying America in the chart) and 127m in Japan, that leaves 5 billion human on Earth hating US game.


You need better glasses...


You need a better education, North and South America are considered different continents in most parts of the world, hence the question :)
____________________________
MUTED
#81 Feb 08 2011 at 9:31 AM Rating: Decent
yawn..
____________________________

#82 Feb 08 2011 at 10:54 AM Rating: Decent
**
415 posts
Uryuu wrote:
Funny that DC Universe is outselling WOW Cataclysm. Proves that easy games sell like hotcakes in the MMO industry, and the easier the better.

I don't think it's so much that it's easier, rather than the fact that it's a DC title. You'd be surprised how many people wanna play a superhero right alongside their favorite superheroes (myself included).
#83antshock30, Posted: Feb 08 2011 at 12:32 PM, Rating: Sub-Default, (Expand Post) Uryuu wrote:
#84 Feb 08 2011 at 12:48 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
513 posts
Mistress Theonehio wrote:

Of course PC games wouldn't do well compared to console games in a nation where console gaming > PC gaming. Your point is basically it doesn't matter because they mainly play consoles, which makes no sense as you can't deny that it did well in its own right.

My point is that the #1 seller on the PC wouldn't likely even make it to the top 10 of the PS3/Wii charts. Ergo, the PC rankings are meaningless in comparison.
____________________________
#85 Feb 08 2011 at 12:55 PM Rating: Decent
**
602 posts
Omena wrote:
Mistress Theonehio wrote:

Of course PC games wouldn't do well compared to console games in a nation where console gaming > PC gaming. Your point is basically it doesn't matter because they mainly play consoles, which makes no sense as you can't deny that it did well in its own right.

My point is that the #1 seller on the PC wouldn't likely even make it to the top 10 of the PS3/Wii charts. Ergo, the PC rankings are meaningless in comparison.


So basically you're sying that it doesn't matter whether ffxiv sells well or not in japan since its a PC based game and thus these numbers whether good or not are negligible?
____________________________
FFXI: Dashiel. (Asura) Puppetmaster.
FFXIV: Majidah Sihaam. (Besaid)
Marauder, Weaver & Alchemist.

#86antshock30, Posted: Feb 08 2011 at 1:03 PM, Rating: Sub-Default, (Expand Post) I guess thts why japanese game makers are considered a dying breed so much that they force there own population to play a game that the creators should all of fallen on there sword for. Where is all tht old Ninja code they have over there.
#87 Feb 08 2011 at 1:16 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
691 posts
Antshock, its called Bushido, and it means the way of the man, not Ninja. Also, I suggest you cease your meaningless trolling and try to contribute elsewhere.

Your post before this one had some sort of coherency but the one you just did makes you seem like a parasitic organism that lives off the anger of others.

Edited, Feb 8th 2011 1:19pm by Uryuu
#88 Feb 08 2011 at 1:42 PM Rating: Excellent
***
2,010 posts
Quote:
Antshock, its called Bushido, and it means the way of the man, not Ninja. Also, I suggest you cease your meaningless trolling and try to contribute elsewhere.


Actually, it's the way of the warrior and refers to Samurais, so you were partially correct.

Other than that - I am glad to see that XIV has moved ahead a little, even if I am yet again disappointed at the intolerance for other games by the FF crowd. It's really.... Quite sad.
#89 Feb 08 2011 at 2:27 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
**
691 posts
Thanks, Torrence, guess I misinterpreted the spelling. Its literal translation means something similar to "the way of the warrior-gentleman" and can also be interpreted as "the way of men who keep peace, either by force or military means."
Huge difference though, since Ninja were assassins and spies while Samurai were the equivalent of modern-day front line officers. Bushido refers to an honorable code while Ninja had no rules of engagement.

We're kinda getting off topic though, and to be honest, if we get too far off topic, the thread will be locked.



Edited, Feb 8th 2011 2:28pm by Uryuu
#90 Feb 08 2011 at 4:22 PM Rating: Decent
Edited by bsphil
******
21,739 posts
Uryuu wrote:
if we get too far off topic, the thread will be locked.
Is Alla really that different than it was 3 months ago?
____________________________
His Excellency Aethien wrote:
Almalieque wrote:
If no one debated with me, then I wouldn't post here anymore.
Take the hint guys, please take the hint.
gbaji wrote:
I'm not getting my news from anywhere Joph.
#91 Feb 08 2011 at 4:49 PM Rating: Decent
****
4,152 posts
Omena wrote:
My point is that the #1 seller on the PC wouldn't likely even make it to the top 10 of the PS3/Wii charts. Ergo, the PC rankings are meaningless in comparison.

This. I thought it was commonly known that Japanese gamers prefer console gaming to PC gaming by quite a large margin. If the actual number of copies sold was listed I think people would be surprised at how few copies of a PC game you have to sell in Japan to claim the top spot.
____________________________
Rinsui wrote:
Only hips + boobs all day and hips + boobs all over my icecream

HaibaneRenmei wrote:
30 bucks is almost free

cocodojo wrote:
Its personal preference and all, but yes we need to educate WoW players that this is OUR game, these are Characters and not Toons. Time to beat that into them one at a time.
#92 Feb 08 2011 at 7:39 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
***
1,948 posts
Ostia wrote:
Khornette wrote:
Ostia wrote:
Since when does america has 910m people <.< (Unless you meant the entire continent as in N,C,S America)


Khornette wrote:
Consider 910m in America continent (Assuming they meant that by saying America in the chart) and 127m in Japan, that leaves 5 billion human on Earth hating US game.


You need better glasses...


You need a better education, North and South America are considered different continents in most parts of the world, hence the question :)


I think most parts of the world think otherwise

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Americas

Oh and

http://www.vgchartz.com/weekly.php?reg=Japan&date=&console=&maker=

Top of all console sales, The Last Story (Wii) = 118,953 vs DA:O (PS3 + Xbox 360) = 41,051 + 12,961 = 54,012, with DA:O occupied both no.5 and no.12 spots of all consoles sales being released on two lesser owned consoles (total PS3 and Xbox 360 sold in Japan = 1/2 of total Wii sold). So much for "If it's not made in Japan, it won't sell". If going by ratio, DA:O is doing as good as TLS.

Edited, Feb 8th 2011 8:50pm by Khornette
____________________________




#93 Feb 08 2011 at 10:45 PM Rating: Default
***
2,202 posts
Khornette wrote:
Ostia wrote:
Khornette wrote:
Ostia wrote:
Since when does america has 910m people <.< (Unless you meant the entire continent as in N,C,S America)


Khornette wrote:
Consider 910m in America continent (Assuming they meant that by saying America in the chart) and 127m in Japan, that leaves 5 billion human on Earth hating US game.


You need better glasses...


You need a better education, North and South America are considered different continents in most parts of the world, hence the question :)


I think most parts of the world think otherwise

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Americas

Oh and

http://www.vgchartz.com/weekly.php?reg=Japan&date=&console=&maker=

Top of all console sales, The Last Story (Wii) = 118,953 vs DA:O (PS3 + Xbox 360) = 41,051 + 12,961 = 54,012, with DA:O occupied both no.5 and no.12 spots of all consoles sales being released on two lesser owned consoles (total PS3 and Xbox 360 sold in Japan = 1/2 of total Wii sold). So much for "If it's not made in Japan, it won't sell". If going by ratio, DA:O is doing as good as TLS.

Edited, Feb 8th 2011 8:50pm by Khornette


Tsk Tsk http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Continent
____________________________
MUTED
#94 Feb 09 2011 at 2:03 PM Rating: Decent
Avatar
***
1,339 posts


Not only do you fail for foolishly trying to combat a wikipedia argument with a wikipedia argument (two user edited pieces of 'evidence'), but you also fail to understand basic reading. Continents aside, the link above that sparked this argument stated Americas.

As in more than one.

As in plural.


Stop trying to sound intelligent and witty when you apparently can't even be bothered to read what's being argued in the first place.

Edited, Feb 9th 2011 3:03pm by StrijderVechter
#95 Feb 09 2011 at 2:29 PM Rating: Decent
***
2,202 posts
StrijderVechter wrote:


Not only do you fail for foolishly trying to combat a wikipedia argument with a wikipedia argument (two user edited pieces of 'evidence'), but you also fail to understand basic reading. Continents aside, the link above that sparked this argument stated Americas.

As in more than one.

As in plural.


Stop trying to sound intelligent and witty when you apparently can't even be bothered to read what's being argued in the first place.

Edited, Feb 9th 2011 3:03pm by StrijderVechter


Quote:
350k is actually elsewhere (not in America and not in Japan). But man, 3k and 2k for the first two weeks since release outside of America and Japan, the world sure hate US game. Consider 910m in America continent (Assuming they meant that by saying America in the chart) and 127m in Japan, that leaves 5 billion human on Earth hating US game.


Quote:
Since when does america has 910m people <.< (Unless you meant the entire continent as in N,C,S America)


Stop trying to sound intelligent and witty when you apparently can't even be bothered to read what's being argued in the first place.
____________________________
MUTED
#96 Feb 09 2011 at 3:01 PM Rating: Good
***
3,178 posts
DC Univerese was fun for the week or so it takes to get to the level 30 cap. Solo.

Group content is based around level 30's trying for better gear. (And there's PVP, but who cares right?) For me, game is over when EXP stops popping out of my slain enemies like candy popcorn blood.

I sure love EXP. And Flying. That was fun.

What was the topic? Oh yeah, Go PC FFXIV in Japan! Who am I kidding? I just wanted the excuse to reveiw DC Universe Online. (Thanks for reminding me to cancel my subscription before Feb. 10th)
#97 Feb 09 2011 at 3:04 PM Rating: Excellent
*****
11,539 posts
This thread is getting way off topic.

Screenshot


...in America.
____________________________
[ffxisig]55836[/ffxisig]

Mikhalia: and FWIW, my posts are 95% helpful, informative, or funny.
Mikhalia: only 5% or less of my posts are utter crap.
Tyapex: 393 posts of utter crap...
Mikhalia: Sounds about right.
#98 Feb 09 2011 at 4:16 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
2,153 posts
Stop trying to sound intelligent and witty when...
dammit, what were we talking about ^.^/?
#99 Feb 09 2011 at 5:04 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
***
1,948 posts
Ostia wrote:
Stop trying to sound intelligent and witty when you apparently can't even be bothered to read what's being argued in the first place.


Quote:
The Americas, or America,[1][2] (Spanish: América, Portuguese: América, French: Amérique, Quechua: Amirika, Guaraní: Amérika, Aymara: Amërika, Dutch: Amerika)[3] are lands in the Western hemisphere, also known as the New World.
____________________________




#100 Feb 11 2011 at 10:45 PM Rating: Decent
5 posts
wrongfeifong wrote:
Mistress Theonehio wrote:
wrongfeifong wrote:
i highly doubt japanese will even enjoy World of warcrap.

Starcraft ... is CRAP when you have Koei and Konomi over there with BANDAI reign supreme in strategy base game.

Seriously, starcraft 2 is horrible and i would give it a 2/10 when you actually have options like me who know various languages and have access to various game platform.

Americans are trap in their own jail cells. **** tastes amazing when you never taste anything else in the world.


At first I figured you got rate down for calling "THE GREATEST MMO ON EARTH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" crap but then I rethought it and it has to be because you called Starcraft crap.

Starcraft is like the one thing I feel Blizzard did right.


Maybe you never play other strategy game in your life? I don't mind getting rate down. I am broadcasting my voice honestly. I speak what i like, this is the internet, if i have to play nice and follow what everyone thinks i wouldn't be here. That is call real life.

If you count back, there isn't a lot strategy titles in NA/EU release. I personally love Age of empire a lot more then starcrap, especially starcrap 2.

Tell me what so different from starcrap II to command and conquest or even warcraft? NONE. The game still limit to few races, few choices, everything is the same. So they add a nice story to it, but hey, Halo war have one too. What so good about starcrap II from starcrap I?

Blizzard just doesn't know how to make games, they do know how to copy and import their popular titles. But these peoples are just here to innovate their old stuff and copy others, not create new games. They are success as a company in American/European market because the NA/EU players are "frogs in the well"

As i said, when you have no competition to speak of, your only choice is to buy whatever bill gate throw at you. Monopolistic mindset in a monopoly market.

Then again, Asian don't get too many RTS, most are turn-base Strategy.


Hey your're entitled to your own opinion, but Starcraft has not based it's success in any way on having a monopoly on the RTS market. There have been many RTS contenders before and after Starcraft that have not been able to gain the massive following that Starcraft did. How many versions of Command and Conquer has there been? How many Age of____s? When Starcraft was released all the way back in 1998, there was nothing that compared to it in terms of gameplay, depth of strategy, and balance. There is also probably no other online game out there that has had more lasting power than Starcraft, as so many people still go on battle.net and other competitive servers to play everyday. Also, Starcraft inspired its own televised gaming leagues in Korea and sold over 11 million copies worldwide. Starcraft is a near-perfect balance between strategy and athleticism (you need ridiculous amounts of speed and precision to compete at the professional levels where the standard is being able to produce a pace of over 300 actions per minute over a 15-25min game). It is fast-paced, has a perfect balance between early game, mid game, and end game, and doesn't take hours to complete a single game. This is what makes starcraft imho the perfect competitive RTS why it's so entertaining to watch the best players in the world play on TV, and why so many consider it to be one of the best online pc games ever made. I recommend watching Day 9's "My Life of Starcraft" to see what Starcraft is really about:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJztfsXKcPQ

As far as "Blizzard just doesn't know how to make games"?!?!? They built a GLOBAL EMPIRE on not knowing how to make games? They are not just successful to NA/EU players (who you call "frogs in the well"/thanks for insulting the majority of users on this forum), their games are also massively huge in Korea and China as well. From wikipedia: "As of January 22, 2008, World of Warcraft has more than 10 million subscribers worldwide, with more than 2 million subscribers in Europe, more than 2.5 million in North America, and about 5.5 million in Asia" Asia has more subscribers than NA/EU combined!

____________________________


#101 Feb 11 2011 at 11:47 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
**
691 posts
Agreed, Kata, Blizzard knew how to make games that catered to the masses, key word being "knew." Now they are Activision-Blizzard, a merger of the 2 "mass-marketing, low overhead" giants in the online gaming business. Also, we can't forget that A-B "acquired" Bungie recently as well, and will probably use them to make their next CoD game since Bobby Kotick fired the team that did the previous games since he didn't want to pay them. Oh, and that Bobby Kotick has said he only plans to allow Blizzard to make 1 "high marketing value" game per year from now on, or that he ended the Guitar hero franchise because it stopped making enough money per year to drown a whale in.
Personally, I loved the old Blizzard, but I knew that as soon as they lost the team behind the original games that made them great, they were 100% Activision.

For those who aren't aware, Bobby Kotick is the CEO of Activision-Blizzard, and the old CEO of Activision before the merger.

I still find the few games Blizzard made before they "merged" with Activision quite enjoyable in small amounts, if you were wondering. I just don't enjoy the ones that were, in my eyes, tainted by Activision's influence.

Edited, Feb 11th 2011 11:53pm by Uryuu
This forum is read only
This Forum is Read Only!
Recent Visitors: 16 All times are in CST
Anonymous Guests (16)